PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Palpatine Saga-fied

Jaff
09-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Last week I got the new Emperor and when I found this wave at the Vestal Target I immediately grabbed WA-7 (I allready had Faytonni), but the Emperor I gazed at for a moment in confusion. His cape hood looked way too solidified, and his hands looked like he was suffering from arthritis. I put the fig back and walked away. My wife started walking around the store shopping, and for some reason that figure gnawed at my mind. I went back to the toy isle to "look" at the figure again. In the end I bought it for reasons I can't explain. I'm a completest when it comes to figs and vehicles. What can I say?

Boy I'm really glad I got this figure. From a casual glance he does look like old grandpa jones because of his "Oh god, my thyroids acting up" expression, but when he stands up with the rest of the figures he looks quite impressive. It's true he cannot hold his cane at all. I had to keep the little rubber band on his hand to insure he held onto it, but his robe is very well sculpted, and he just looks menacing. I know this review is'nt the best, but can any of you post what you think about him so I can solidify why I like this figure so much?

bobafrett
09-26-2003, 01:19 PM
The one complaint I have about this figure is, I think the hood sits up way to high like the Emperor has a fan blowing gently into his face lifting the hood up away from his head with a slight breeze. I think he looks more menacing with his hood draped almost over his face hiding that evil old sith lord's features. I displayed mine at the base of my gentle giants mini bust of Vader, with his lightning bolts sparking from his hands.

Turbowars
09-28-2003, 11:23 AM
When I first saw him I thought he looked fine. I understand what people are saying about the hood, but out of the package he looks great!! I think one of the problems with the packaged figure was that the head isn't pushed back into his hood enough. There's not much paint, but where there is it looks good. His hands are awesome and they do look like he has arthritis, that's the point isn't. I mean he's suposed to look screewed up right? Yeah it suucks that he can't hold his cane, but if he did I guess his hand would look funny with the lightning coming out. They need to use a McFarlane style interchangable hand.

yngadult
10-26-2003, 07:18 PM
I bought the Emperor at the last minute as well. The deciding factor was whether he had feet or not as the first POTF2 version was just a block (no legs). I bought the 2nd variation because it had legs but it seemed too tall. In the movie, the Emperor seemed hunched and therefore short.
This new version seemed to have the correct height and more detail. When I opened it, I was disappointed to find that there were no actual legs, just feet and then a block of plastic again.
Further minuses are that the force lightning is too short and the cane is sueless without the rubberband.
Maybe kids are less picky than us adult collectors.

plasticfetish
10-27-2003, 12:18 AM
Maybe kids are less picky than us adult collectors.
You know, kids are pretty picky really. If something is "hard" to play with or doesn't work very well, they tend to pretty much ignore the toy after a while. Though, as much as I'm a big supporter of the idea that kids do still buy (or have their parents buy) and play with Star Wars toys ... I'd bet that not many of them are going to pick this Emperor figure to play with anyway.

Turbowars
10-27-2003, 12:25 AM
You know, kids are pretty picky really. If something is "hard" to play with or doesn't work very well, they tend to pretty much ignore the toy after a while. Though, as much as I'm a big supporter of the idea that kids do still buy (or have their parents buy) and play with Star Wars toys ... I'd bet that not many of them are going to pick this Emperor figure to play with anyway.My God, it's not that bad. It's better that the POTF2 by a mile. If a kid plays with dumb@ss PowerRangers, I don't think they would stop playing with this one. That is if kids do still play with SW toys.:D

RussUAE
10-27-2003, 01:16 AM
I must admit I love this figure - he is fantastic - (obviously room for improvement still), but ranks up there amongst the best of 2003 for me.

Hellboy
10-28-2003, 09:22 PM
While some people might be able to look past the conehead hood I can't. Hasbro really blew it on this one because this figure should've looked like his picture on the package but instead we got this monstrosity. I think the POTF2 version is a better representation even if it isn't perfect and a bit dated. The most disappointing thing is it will probably be years before they do another rendition of the Emperor. :mad:

Grade: C- (and thats generous)

darthzirock
11-08-2003, 11:39 AM
While some people might be able to look past the conehead hood I can't. Hasbro really blew it on this one because this figure should've looked like his picture on the package but instead we got this monstrosity. I think the POTF2 version is a better representation even if it isn't perfect and a bit dated. The most disappointing thing is it will probably be years before they do another rendition of the Emperor. :mad:

Grade: C- (and thats generous)

Gotta agree with Hellboy there on all but one point--I bet we get a new Emperor figure in the Episode III line. So, we're only looking at 2 or 3 more years, tops, before a new one comes out. Hopefully, that one will have better Force lightning effects than these stupid bracelet things! :frus:

Sidiously Darth
11-08-2003, 02:05 PM
I, too, bought this figure at the last second. I must also agree that the hood is the most disappointing part of this figure. Plus he's unable to hold his can w/out the clear rubberband. I think the head and the rest of the body are fine. but he doesn't beat out the POTF2 version.

Turambar
11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Agreed! I've tried positioning him different ways, but that messed up hood just can't be ignored. Not quite sure what they were thinking. I don't believe we'll get another rotj emperor either, so this was really disappointing.

JediTricks
11-09-2003, 04:03 AM
I get the feeling the hood is an accident at the factory's end, you can see that it's causing the over-cloak to push against the bottoms of the armpits making a little extra space at the top of that hole. Maybe Hasbro will notice and put out ones with a hood that isn't half an inch thick sooner or later. Until then, anybody willing to try shaving down the inside of that hood?