PDA

View Full Version : R5-D4 Figure for Episode II!!

Beast
11-28-2001, 03:04 AM
We all know that the originally planned R5-D4 figure for the final wave of POTJ figures was cancelled and changed to R4-M9. Looks like the reason why is right infront of our faces.

R5-D4, according to the official site will be in Episode 2. No information as to what his role is. Possibly a Jedi astromech droid, or maybe he comes into play on Tatooine.

Here is a link to his Bio on the Official site, notice that the list at the top for what movies that he appears in, that Episodes II and IV are both lighted.

R5-D4's Databank File (http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/r5d4/index.html)

Looks like, hopefully....we will get both the cool new R4-M9 as well as a more accurate version of R5-D4 as well. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
11-28-2001, 03:07 AM
Oh man, if this has anything to do with R5 getting midis into his system and then becoming force sensitive, thus knowing R2's importance in ANH, Stillakid's gonna go insane.

For once I'll agree with him on this, if this turns out to be the case.:eek: :crazed: :D

Beast
11-28-2001, 03:17 AM
Ah yes, the Skippy the Jedi Droid story from Star Wars Tales.

Well, since Lucas already voided Boba Fetts origins from Tales from Jabba's Palace, I rather doubt that he has R5-D4 becoming Skippy the Jedi Droid. We all know Lucas makes some, rather odd choices sometimes....but I really rather doubt that he's gonna follow another authors storyline.

Until May 16th 2002 though, let us pray.....just in case. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

GNT
11-28-2001, 04:56 AM
Theforce.net said he might pop up in Wattos Shop :) Which would be interesting :)

bigbarada
11-28-2001, 08:06 AM
It'd be funny if R5-D4 had been sitting in that sandcrawler for the entire span of time between Ep2 and 4.:D

Jargo
11-28-2001, 05:44 PM
It'd be even funnier if he was owned by Cliegg lars :D How'd Lucas pass that one off? It's likely he could be in Watto's shop or the sandcrawler scene we got a glimpse of in the trailer.

Who care as long as we get a new R5-D4.....:D :D :D :stupid: :crazed:

GNT
11-30-2001, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Who care as long as we get a new R5-D4.....:D :D :D :stupid: :crazed:

But it'll be an episode 2 version and NOT A ANH one

Beast
11-30-2001, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by GNT
But it'll be an episode 2 version and NOT A ANH one

Yeah, but look at the incredible differences between the E1 R2-D2 and him from the original Trilogy. :D I doubt that it really will matter whether its a E2 R5-D4 or an ANH R5-D4. And if it does, knowing Hasbo, in a couple years...they can re-sculpt him again.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
11-30-2001, 07:15 AM
Maybe R5 plays Anakin's droid? Think about it, Obi-Wan has a starfighter that needs a droid, and Anakin has his own starfighter, it will most likely need a droid. He could trade R5 to the jawas in that one scene for information on Tusken whereabouts. Ok, nevermind, before my post gets moved to the spoiler section, I'll comment on the figure. :) Hopefully it have a corrected head, and R2-Q5/R2 w/ Leia body mold. I just hope it doesn't have like "special clone killing guns" or "super duper proton torpedo that fires out of it's butt when it goes to it's playing dead defense because it can't move that well due to the bridge on it's side legs!" :D Who knows, maybe it'll be from Naboo or Jabba's Palace, only time shall tell, and I can't wait! :) I just hope this time he doesn't blow anything up, wether purposeful or accidental.

Tycho
11-30-2001, 04:09 PM
I think LTBasker was on to something about R5 having a logical tie-in.

I'm not sure what it will be, but I do think that R5 and R2D2 will be friends, hence why R5 purposely blew his motivator so that Uncle Owen and Luke would take R2.

That's getting kind of detailed into what ties in to the original trilogy - and I hope not everything does, or Captain Typho will be Lando's long-lost relative, etc. etc.

(But I think Han is still possibly a lost clone warrior -we'll know if I'm right in 3 years).

Wolfwood319
11-30-2001, 04:39 PM
As long as the R5 is better than the one we currently have. Or, wouldn't it be a kick, if in the movie R5 does open up and shoot a rocket, then Hasbro can just release the POTF2 version on the new blue card.:D

GNT
12-01-2001, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
I'm not sure what it will be, but I do think that R5 and R2D2 will be friends, hence why R5 purposely blew his motivator so that Uncle Owen and Luke would take R2.

That's getting kind of detailed into what ties in to the original trilogy - and I hope not everything does, or Captain Typho will be Lando's long-lost relative, etc. etc.

I always though R5 blew up in ANH was so he didn't have to leave the sandcrawler to do work where as if he staid,he justs walks around the sandcrawler doing nothing

Captain Typho's uncle is Captain Panaka,what was george thinking?

Jargo
12-01-2001, 08:49 AM
I don't care what R5's role in the movie is or who he belongs to or what function he serves in the story arc. I just care that Hasbro shove him out without rockets or trainer restraints on his legs or blasters or gimmicks or a big oversized head or split apart crappness. I just want a standard R2 body with a nice detailed right scale R5 head on top. I want tit released in plentiful numbers so I can buy a few and customise to my hearts content. I have a million R2 droids and now I'd like a million R5 droids to go with the million R4 droids I'm going to buy when R4-M9 appears in the new year. :D I'll be customising for months to build an astromech army to go along with my pit droid army:crazed: It aint just Gungans and battle droids who can fight like girlies!:stupid: :rolleyes: :p

evenflow
12-01-2001, 11:48 AM
That would actually be really cool, we will be getting R5-D4 and a new Droid. That works for me. :)

Fixer
12-05-2001, 07:47 AM
Aboveandbeyonddirect.com has a list of E2 figures (as reported by Rebelscum.com) There are a couple droids listed, including "Mastiff Astro Droid" and "New Droid" could one of these be our red friend?

LTBasker
12-05-2001, 08:52 AM
Well the astro droid may be an R2 unit... remember Kitster said "Wow a real astro droid!" 'Course that could refer to any of the R series, but he may have been referring to R2 units in peticular since the only astromech droids that we actually saw at Mos Espa was the R5 unit of Jabba's.

mark2d2
12-19-2001, 03:16 PM
Man oh Man! I sure hope this is true!

And it must be. Really, it's the only thing that makes sense. Scrap R5D4 (a figure we've all been clamoring for forever!) in favor of R4M9?

(Don't get me wrong, Hasbro. R4 is very sweet figure. The new pictures of him on the site today blew me away. I'll definitely pick him up.)

All I'm saying, is the only logical conclusion to this turn of events is that they decided to hold back R5D4 as a Episode II movie tie in. A great move that is sure to bring waves of nostolgia to any who starting collecting back in '78 when they were Eight or so, like me...

Jargo
12-19-2001, 08:50 PM
Mastiff astro droid is a misnomer. They're two seperate items mistakenly listed together. The Massif (not mastiff) is a creature with wings from Geonosis that allegedly attacks Obi-Wan...so I've read.

The astro droid is no doubt R5. What a money spinner for hasbro though. Two new astro droids for the price of a couple of new heads. They have the molds for the body ready to go after R2-Q5 and all they have to do is create a couple of little head pieces. Wow, cool business indeed! :sur:

There's another droid on that list - 'NEW DROID' I have a theory that a lot of the classic figures from that list are going to turn out to be figures that featured as contenders in the fan choice polls. So my bet is that this is actually going to be R1-G4. I really hope I'm right as I wanted both R1 and Ephant Mon to be made out of the list for the fan choice poll. If R1 comes out next year I'll be as happy as John Wayne Bobbit after restorative surgery....:D

mark2d2
12-19-2001, 09:57 PM
Interesting theory --- Jargo -- on the R1 droid. Again we're in sync. I was just today lamenting the loss of R1 to Ephant Mon over on another of the boards. The detailing on my recently arrived FX-7 really leads me into thinking that Hasbro could really do a bang up job on an R1 now. Plus it's such a distinctively odd looking droid. A great design . . .

Who knows? Maybe one or two of them will be seen lurking around somewhere on Tatooine in Episode II . . .