PDA

View Full Version : How many blades does your razor need?

JediTricks
09-27-2003, 12:47 AM
In the past decade or so, we've gone from non-electric razors having 1 blade to 3 blades. Crazy, huh? Well now Schick has decided they're sick of seeing everybody go ga-ga over the Gillette Mach 3 and has just released the "Quatro"... do I really have to explain? Yes, it's 4 blades! What I find amusing is that Schick seems to think Gillette's success is due to the number of blades alone, rather than the feel and control of the whole thing - will Schick's new 4-blade razor handle as well? I kinda doubt it. So what's next, 5 blades, a dozen blades, shaving with a wad of blades the size of your fist?

bobafrett
09-27-2003, 01:48 AM
I personally use the Mach 3 Turbo. I find it shaves rather smoothly and comforatably, that is until I have to go buy new blades. Ouch! They charge a lot to get that smooth feel. I saw that Gillette is trying to sue Schick, and make them take the Quatro blades from the stores. Oh, the reason I use the Mach 3 Turbo in the first place is because I recieved one free in the mail! Before then I was using Bic disposable because they didn't cost much.

Kidhuman
09-27-2003, 12:58 PM
I use gilette disposable razors. They have 3 blade on it. Actually, I gt about 6 shaves out of them before they get disposed.

Exhaust Port
09-27-2003, 01:14 PM
I've heard quite a few kudos for the Mach 3 over the years but was always turned off by the higher cost of the blades. Now that I received my free Mach 3 in the mail I agree that it does give a superior shave so I might pick up a package of razors. It did come with a coupon so it'll cost a bit less.

How many shaves do you get out of your razors? I never really pay attention but I'll have to start. I basically go until it starts to hurt.

2-1B
09-27-2003, 01:23 PM
I want to go back to the days of a barbershop straight razor. Nothing like a good old fashioned bloodletting to cure yer ills. :D

Turbowars
09-28-2003, 12:58 PM
Yeah I'm a Mach 3 kind of guy, but yes the blades are costly. I make them last, probably way to long.

Kidhuman
09-28-2003, 01:26 PM
How many shaves do you get out of your razors? I never really pay attention but I'll have to start. I basically go until it starts to hurt.

I get between 6 and 10, with shaving my face and head. They are some pretty good razors.

JediTricks
09-28-2003, 09:15 PM
I saw that Gillette is trying to sue Schick, and make them take the Quatro blades from the stores.Ha! That is too funny! :D I'd love to see the transcript on that case.

I also get between 6 and 10 shaves from my Mach 3 (non-turbo). As mentioned before, the price is high on these, but compared to my old Gillette Sensor XL and Schick Tracer FX (man do these have stupid names ;)), it's like the difference between night and day.

Makes ya wonder if the 4-bladed razor's any good though. :D

bobafrett
09-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Ha! That is too funny! :D I'd love to see the transcript on that case.

Well, from what I understand, they were saying something along the lines of copyright infringement. Gillette says Schick's (sp?) 4 blades is to close to the Mach 3's design.

I think Gillette just likes having a huge slice of the male grooming market.

James Boba Fettfield
09-29-2003, 03:01 PM
I declare Mach 3 to be my razor of choice. I like the control of it. It makes shaving around my goatee (just like a goat has) a fun and exciting experience. Well, as fun and as exciting as shaving can possibly be.

El Chuxter
09-29-2003, 03:06 PM
One. . . two. . . three!!

Okay, JT, I'm a bit worried. Isn't this like the twelfth thread you've started on razors? Is this cause for alarm? I'm half-scared that tomorrow I'll come here and find "SirSteve's Guide to Razors"! :eek::eek::crazed:

billfremore
09-29-2003, 03:22 PM
One. . . two. . . three!!

Okay, JT, I'm a bit worried. Isn't this like the twelfth thread you've started on razors? Is this cause for alarm? I'm half-scared that tomorrow I'll come here and find "SirSteve's Guide to Razors"! :eek::eek::crazed:

Hey Chux! I just found a mint, carded Mach 3 razor with bonus clone trooper.

JediTricks
09-29-2003, 10:00 PM
It's only the 2nd thread on the subject! :p

For the cost of the blades, these things are collectibles. :D

Exhaust Port
09-30-2003, 01:09 PM
I just saw my first commercial for the Quatro blades. I don't know if I need another blade but I am intriqued by the wires that they have placed across the blade bundle. It seems as those they would aid in reducing nicks.

billfremore
09-30-2003, 03:18 PM
They've had those wire thingies for a while, check the out the Protector

http://www.shaving.com/shavingProducts.asp?templateId=18&productId=2

Exhaust Port
09-30-2003, 03:45 PM
Interesting, has anyone tried a blade with these wire protectors?

billfremore
09-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Interesting, has anyone tried a blade with these wire protectors?

I did a couple of times I prefer the Mach 3, it is truly the epitome of razors

James Boba Fettfield
09-30-2003, 11:34 PM
Looks like Gilette redesigned their razor again. Tonight during the Cubs/Braves game I saw a commercial for the Mach 3 Champion or was it Mach 3 Turbo Champion? Anyway, the thing is red now, reminds me of something you'd see a woman using. I like my razors to have the silver look, makes it fit better in the bathroom. The red just looks....odd. Now I'm talking like a woman, thinking how it would look in a bathroom compared to everything else....

bobafrett
09-30-2003, 11:59 PM
Looks like Gilette redesigned their razor again. Tonight during the Cubs/Braves game I saw a commercial for the Mach 3 Champion or was it Mach 3 Turbo Champion? Anyway, the thing is red now, reminds me of something you'd see a woman using. I like my razors to have the silver look, makes it fit better in the bathroom. The red just looks....odd. Now I'm talking like a woman, thinking how it would look in a bathroom compared to everything else....

I saw that same commercial and I wondered what made this blade a "champion". I thought the red was rather unique, but I wouldn't buy it as I'm happy with the razor I have. I wonder if you need different blades for the champion than with the regular Mach 3 Turbo.

Exhaust Port
10-01-2003, 12:04 AM
This way when you bleed you don't stain your fancy Mach 3. ;)

JediTricks
10-01-2003, 07:20 PM
When I was in high school and I'd run out of razors, I'd use my mom's leg razor, they've had wires on them for years. I didn't like it, seemed like the shave wasn't as close and even.

Gillette needs to calm down with these redesigns, the recolors are quaint but silly. They don't need to redesign the Mach 3 IMO, it's a great shave as it is. Although, right before they release new versions, they put the previous version in a bundle pack with freebie stuff like multi-tools. :D

Turbowars
10-15-2003, 09:10 PM
Since I'm into customs, I made a 24 blade shaver, needless to say, I have a few scares.:p

bobafrett
10-16-2003, 01:31 AM
I just stick my ugly mug under a lawn mower, nicks be damned!