PDA

View Full Version : How hard was it to find your figs....wave by wave

tagmac
09-27-2003, 09:39 PM
With Jaff's thread in the saga forum being quite popular, I figured I'd start one up for the 12" line. I'll try to update every other day, depending on how well people react to the thread.

September, 1996

Luke Skywalker
Ben Kenobi
Han Solo
Darth Vader

The initial release proved to be a far cry from the vintage 12" line, merely setting the stage for what was to come. Excellent, more realistic sculpts with non-sculpted clothing and accessories made these figures quite popular among collectors. The packaging was the best in the line up to that point as well - the flap over a window box made it perfect for the MIB collector. Initially supposed to include Chewbacca (the figure was repeatedly postponed for reasons I am still not sure of), the set was not particularly hard to find, with the notable exception of Kenobi. Kenner's reasoning for this was that Vader would be most sought after, and so one extra was packed at the expense of Obi-Wan (who IMO was the best figure of the 4). As if this wasn't bad enough, collectors also had to deal with the belt buckle variants, making this figure even harder to find. Luke was also released in two versions, one with dark blonde hair (more movie accurate), and the more prevalent version, that with "blonde" that looked frighteningly pink. Packaging variants also existed, with earlier versions having a dark blue insert instead of the later light blue ones.

tagmac
09-27-2003, 09:43 PM
When these figures first came out, I had no interest in collecting them. While they looked great, I just didn't wanna spend the money on them. That changed when I started working at KB that October. The assistant manager asked if I was a SW fan, and if I'd be interested in buying the last Luke figure they had. It was the correct hair version, and since I now had an employee discount, I jumped at it. I bought Han and Vader from there a week later, but no sign on Obi-Wan. In TRU a few weeks later, I asked an employee if they had gotten anymore in stock - little did I realize I was asking one of the managers! She asked me which one I wanted, and went in back. She brought out a full case, and I got my Obi-Wan. I asked if Chewie was in there, but found out then that he hadn't been released yet.

Turbowars
09-28-2003, 11:09 AM
I remember buying sets from catalogs and that how I got my Chewy. The very 1st release of luke had the blue insert as you stated and had the binoculars on his belt and the second was blistered on the inside of the box. All in all this wave wasn't hard to get.

Turambar
09-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Ahhh, the good old days of Collector's Series. . . the best packaging of the modern star wars line by far.
I, too, wasn't interested in the line at first. I finally decided to get the Luke & Vader to keep MIB. After getting the luke, I couldn't resist opening it, and BOOM, he sprang to life! Since then, I never missed a new 12"er to add to my collection.
I had no trouble getting the first wave, though.

tagmac
09-29-2003, 08:29 PM
1/97
Bespin Luke
Lando Calrissian
3/97
Tusken Raider (w/Gaffi Stick)
Tusken Raider (w/rifle, binoculars)

Ahhhh......the crazy wave of the 12"....and not in a good way. I found Luke and Lando in KB by accident....I was looking around, and there they were. Asuming Chewie and the Raider were simply gone due to popularity, I figured I'd wait it out. TRU ran a promotion that "The Force would arrive" on a specific day in January. I went in expecting to find tons of new stuff, including the new 12" Chewbacca that was finally released.....or so I thought. All they had were tons of Lukes and Landos (and nothing in the way of the new green carder figures either - all they did was take all the old stuff and re-set it).

I learned shortly after that Chewbacca was delayed yet again, and would be replaced with a second Tusken Raider, idiotically packed with a gun and binoculars instead of the gaffi stick (that version being rumored to be rare at the time). Luke and Lando were shipping 4 each per case, and stores were swimming in them. By the time they started packing the Tusken Raiders, stores likely weren't ordering these new cases. And when I finally found a Raider in March, it was the rifle version. I passed up on it several times, until a dealer at my local flea market finally had one with the gaffi stick. It cost me $40, but I didn't see the supposedly rare Raiders at retail until months later in TRU.

Jaff
09-29-2003, 09:08 PM
The first wave of Luke with Vader, Ben and Han I did not get until June 1997 when I first bought a specially rare Kay Bee Exclusive with two guys in stormtrooper disguise. I was so amzed by this set that I backtracked and collected every single 12" up to that point in less than a month. Talk about hundreds of dollars.

The first wave I puchased through one of my dealer contacts. I used credit to get all Dark Blue backs but in the end I just opened them all up. Talk about a waste of credit.

The second wave was pretty common in the stores. The Lando and Tuskin are among my favorite figs to date. They were awesome.

Thanks for getting this thread going Tagmac. You the man!

tagmac
09-29-2003, 09:32 PM
No prob! :happy:

Turbowars
09-29-2003, 10:03 PM
I remember finding Bespin luke at TRU and leaving Lando. Soon after that I picked him up. I got both of the Tuskens at a KB. Yeah there was lots of money to be spent!!. In fact I just put my SW collection up in my computer room and can't believe how much stuff I have. It's sick!!

tagmac
10-01-2003, 06:54 PM
July 1997

The newest, and best wave of 12" figures hits (to date), as well as the first of many exclusives to come.
Princess Leia
Luke Skywalker in X-Wing Gear
Boba Fett
Stormtrooper
1997 Commemorative Limited Hong Kong Edition with Luke Skywalker, Ben Kenobi and Darth Vader

I had gone to my local flea market to see if the dealer I bought from had any of the new 33/4" figures, and to my surprise, he had all 4 of the new 12" figures! He only charged me $35 for Fett, and $30 each for the rest (not bad considering FAO was regularly $30), so I bought them right away. I did end up seeing these at TRU once about a month later, but that was it. To this point, Boba was definitely the best, with Luke a close second.

The Hong Kong Exclusive I simply wasn't interested in. The dealer had gotten one in, but I felt it dumb to spend money for 3 figures I already had.

Turbowars
10-01-2003, 07:04 PM
I found Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker in X-Wing Gear and Stormtrooper at the same time at TRU. I then found a case of Fetts at the top of the shelf, that's right a whole case of them. At the time I wanted to buy all of them, but didn't have the cash, so I put them out and everyone went crazy!! BTW, Fett was done poorly. His head is way to small. As for the 1997 Commemorative Limited Hong Kong Edition with Luke Skywalker, Ben Kenobi and Darth Vader I had to have it! It's still one of my favs. Not because of the figures, but the way they were packaged. Remember the JCPenny 4 pack with AT-AT driver, Snowtrooper, Luke and Han? When I saw that one I was so happy to see that there were going to to be packaged together. I thought from that time on that they would all be like that. No such luck. Anyways the best from that wave has to be X-Wing Luke!!:happy:

Jaff
10-01-2003, 08:15 PM
I bought all of these at Toys R Us, and displayed them in my bedroom dresser proudly. My girlfriend thought I was nuts with the little head boba, big hair leia, but that luke was awesome!

Turambar
10-01-2003, 08:57 PM
I had no problem getting the Luke Bespin & Lando since they were laying around on the shelves at walmart for a long time.
The tuskens were tougher to acquire, though. After many trips to wally world I found one in a smashed torn up box left to die in the corner. Fortunately it was the Gaffe stick version, and since I open the box wasn't a big issue. Later, I was able to find the blaster version at walmart in a perfect box and picked that up since I love the packaging so much.

The third wave was no trouble either. One morning I found a fresh case set out on the shelf at walmart and got one of each. I had almost been tempted to get a Fett on ebay since I figured it would be pretty rare -- glad I didn't, though.

tagmac
10-03-2003, 10:03 PM
October 1997

Probably the most frustrating period for collectors to date. Fianlly we get Chewbacca, yet the figure is packed one-per case (and thus impossible to find at retail), and is an overall disappointment. Still, a virtual teddy bear was better than nothing at all.

Adding to the disappointment were the even harder to find exclusives. "Exclusive" being the wrong terminology here - thet should have been called "Limited," as each store got anywhere from 2 to 20 of any specific piece at most. Stories of Wampas and Tauntauns never even hitting the sales floor, to FAO's nasty treatment towards customers, to the 2-per-comic shop Sandtrooper made it amazing the 12" line didn't die right here. This is a long list, so here goes:

Wave 4:
Chewbacca
C-3PO
Admiral Ackbar
Tie Fighter Pilot

Exclusives (aka, EXTREMELY limited edition)
Kay-Bee: Han Solo & Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguise
TRU: Han Solo & Tauntaun
Target: Luke Skywalker & Wampa
JC Penney: Greedo, Darth Vader vs. Ben Kenobi
Diamond Comics: Sandtrooper
Service Merchandise: AT-AT Driver
FAO Schwarz: Grand Moff Tarkin/Imperial Gunner
Wal Mart: Cantina Band Members - Figrin D'an (w/ Kloo Horn), Nalan, Ickabell (w/Fanfar), Doik Na'ts (w/Fizzz), Tech (w/Ommni Box), and Tedn (w/Fanfar)

tagmac
10-03-2003, 10:14 PM
I initially picked up Ackbar, C-3PO, and the TIE Pilot from a dealer, but he didn't have Chewie. After promising to hold one for me for $40, he got it in a week later, and told me it was gonna be $50. I left it there on principal, and was frustrated for several weeks as Chewie was nowhere to be found. Finally, I got the JC Penney catalog in and saw they were selling the full set of 4. I ordered that, then sold off the 3 I'd bought originally.

The exclusives were another story. I managed to get my name in at FAO early enough to get one of the 20 Tarkin/Gunner 2-packs (although I remember the manager being quite nasty when I asked if I could pick it up the next day, and she snottily told me I HAD to get it that night...and FAO was a bit of a drive for me as it was). The Sandtrooper I got extremely lucky with, finding one at the comic shop on near my college campus when I stopped in between classes for the weekly new releases. And having worked at KB a year earlier, one of my old co-workers held one of the 6 they got in for me. I had also ordered the Ben vs. Vader 2-pack, but was so disappointed with it, I returned it.

The other exclusives were another story. After hearing the stories of how people were getting screwed out of Tauntaun & Wampa packs, I grossly overpaid for them, spending $200 for the Han/Tauntaun, and $250 for the Luke/Wampa from a dealer. I never did find Greedo or the AT-AT driver as Collectors Series exclusives, but luckily they would be released later on. Knowing how badly the scalpes were at the one Wal-Mart near me, I never bothered with the Cantina Aliens, my philosophy being that you needed all of them to make it even worth it. To this day, I still haven't gotten them, not even when I've found complete sets on sale at toy shows.

Turambar
10-04-2003, 04:05 PM
After doing some driving around I was able to find the tie pilot, 3po, and ackbar at various kbs & trus, never any signs of chewie, though. I ended up getting one off ebay when I had saved up enough $$.

As for the exclusives. . . ha! Never saw one. There was one amazing time when greedo's were selling for about $70 on ebay and I was driving home for christmas and stopped at a JCP on the way. Didn't see any greedo's, but it was a 2 story store, so I went down stairs. . . and hit the jackpot! there was about 30 greedos piled up on a display stand. It was great since it was the only exclusive I'd ever found. ended up getting the rest off ebay.
I don't count the cantina band among these rare items since they are still sitting on the shelves at walmart. I did get the set for 1/2 price from someone, though. At the time I never guessed it would be the last of the CS boxes.

Turbowars
10-05-2003, 11:37 AM
:

Kay-Bee: Han Solo & Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguise(I found a stack of these at KB and bought 2. I just sold the other one about a year ago at cost.)
TRU: Han Solo & Tauntaun(Never saw this one at retail. I traded it for some vintage Transformers at a collector shop.)
Target: Luke Skywalker & Wampa(Target advertised this set and the morning they opened, they had to give out tickets. I got two. Then they came out again and no one bought them in my area??)
JC Penney: Greedo, Darth Vader vs. Ben Kenobi(Got one from JCPenny cat)
Diamond Comics: Sandtrooper(got one from a Diamond store at Universal Studios)
Service Merchandise: AT-AT Driver (E-bay)
FAO Schwarz: Grand Moff Tarkin/Imperial Gunner(E-bay)
Wal Mart: Cantina Band Members - Figrin D'an (w/ Kloo Horn), Nalan, Ickabell (w/Fanfar), Doik Na'ts (w/Fizzz), Tech (w/Ommni Box), and Tedn (w/Fanfar)(Ebay) I bought Wave 4 from a mail order store at a 1/2 off clearance price.

tagmac
10-05-2003, 08:24 PM
The biggest problem with those exclusives ended up happening with the Tauntaun and Wampa. After shortchanging the stores (thus empowering scalpers) and forcing most collectors to have to pay ridiculous prices for them, both were re-released a year later in greater numbers. I remember walking into Target (that had just recently opened) in the middle of 1998 to find a stack of 8 Luke/Wampas - did me no good at THAT point. And the Han/Tauntaun started showing up en masse at TRU - mine must have had about 20 on the sales floor, and they lasted for months, the last few finally going out on clearance.

Exhaust Port
10-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Looking at the series in question so far the only figure that I picked up in the store was Darth Vader from the first wave. At that point I wasn't a toy collector/buyer and hadn't thought of SW toys since I was a kid. I walked into the KBToys at the local mall, came across Darth Vader. I was blown away. I always remembered the 12" line from when I was a kid but I couldn't believe they came out with them again.

Once I found this one I kept my eyes peeled for other 12" figures with no luck. This was before I was online so I had no knowledge of what was out, when it was coming out and what stores carried the line. I did find a 12" Tie Fighter Pilot when they came out which is my favorite figure so I was extremely excited to come across that on a store shelf. About 1998-99 I had a friend on the east coast who had a local store selling most of the figures released up to that point. I put in an order for about 10-12 figures at that time which got me most of the first waves with some exceptions (I never carried for Chewie).

As for the exclusives, about the time I made my big 12" figure purchase I got online which not only gave me access to information regarding the line but also the magical world of eBay. I bought all my exclusives through eBay and made out pretty well. The 3-pack including Leia in Bosshe Disguise was purchased for $65 and the Han/Taun Taun set was picked up for $40. I think the Tarkin/Gunner was gotten for $50 which isn't too bad for 2 figures.

Up to the release of Episode 1, about 90% of my 12" figure purchases were made outside of a toy store through eBay, online stores and secondary dealers. Once Episode 1 hit I was caught up with my purchases so I was able to buy them as they were released from the store. I guess I'll have more to add to this thread once we get to those series. :)

Jaff
10-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Wave 4:
Chewbacca
C-3PO
Admiral Ackbar
Tie Fighter Pilot

Wal Mart: Cantina Band Members - Figrin D'an (w/ Kloo Horn), Nalan, Ickabell (w/Fanfar), Doik Na'ts (w/Fizzz), Tech (w/Ommni Box), and Tedn (w/Fanfar)

When you think about it: Lone 3 3/4 collectors have it made to 12" completests. This list was just the first of long 12" exclusives.

Chewbacca, C-3PO, Admiral Ackbar, and TIE Pilot I actually found in stores. I passed on chewie, but still adore the Ackbar and Pilot. WOW! The Kay-Bee Han and Luke I found in the store, and this set started my 12" collecting. I had a rare set that looked cool, so I kept going. The Han and Tauntaun I bought for $10 at Toys R us in 2000 on clearance. The Target Luke with Wampa I bought for $20 on sale. It's funny but the Wampa/Luke set was a nightmare when it first came out. There was actually a fight in my local Target over one of these sets! :crazed: The JC Penny Greedo I never saw in stores. I bought it from my own store in 2000. This is the same for the AT-AT Driver, Tarkin/Gunner, and Wal Mart Cantina Band (I could not imagine finding all 6 of these at retail!) The Sandtrooper I did see at my comic shop but did not get it right away. I held out, missed it, then bought it from my own store in 2000.

Turbowars
10-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Wave 4:
Chewbacca
C-3PO
Admiral Ackbar
Tie Fighter Pilot

When you think about it: Lone 3 3/4 collectors have it made to 12" completests. This list was just the first of long 12" exclusives.

Chewbacca, C-3PO, Admiral Ackbar, and TIE Pilot I actually found in stores. I passed on chewie, but still adore the Ackbar and Pilot. WOW! The Kay-Bee Han and Luke I found in the store, and this set started my 12" collecting. I had a rare set that looked cool, so I kept going. The Han and Tauntaun I bought for $10 at Toys R us in 2000 on clearance. The Target Luke with Wampa I bought for $20 on sale. It's funny but the Wampa/Luke set was a nightmare when it first came out. There was actually a fight in my local Target over one of these sets! :crazed: The JC Penny Greedo I never saw in stores. I bought it from my own store in 2000. This is the same for the AT-AT Driver, Tarkin/Gunner, and Wal Mart Cantina Band (I could not imagine finding all 6 of these at retail!) The Sandtrooper I did see at my comic shop but did not get it right away. I held out, missed it, then bought it from my own store in 2000. 10 bucks for Han and Tauntaun? WOW, we never had that clearance here in Southern CA. You say our own store, does that mean you have a comic shop?

Jaff
10-06-2003, 06:28 AM
quote from turbowars

10 bucks for Han and Tauntaun? WOW, we never had that clearance here in Southern CA. You say our own store, does that mean you have a comic shop?

Yes I did buy han with Tauntaun from Toys R Us while they were clearing out stuff and I couldn't believe my luck.

As for my own store, yes I did own my own a store called Scene 70. We had comics but our main focus were toys since we were in a shopping mall. I have decided to post some pictures of the shop in How Hard was it to find your figures 3 3/4 poll. My next post sometime on Monday will show it's construction, and then the completed project during the august list, and then some sw actors visiting the store in november for all of you who have asked me about my store!

Paul Heaberlin
10-06-2003, 08:49 AM
Well, when it came to the exclusives, I got lucky-on most.

Kay bee got in a case of six of the Han/Lukes. A buddy of mine was interested in them, and sent his wife order. They were cool and let her buy 2. I was able to order Greedo from JC Penny's no problem, same with the FAO swartz figs. My local comic shop got the Troopers okay. Got 1 of 2 sets my Wal-mart got in(initaially). Snagged Luke/wampa one sunday morning at Target. Had a buddy online grab me a Han/tauntaun(never saw him in my town) But the one that Ticked me off was the At-AT driver. I called Service Merchandise. They said the only way to get one was to go to the store the closest was 3 hours away! Some guy on the old AOL SW boards said he ordered his and got him in the mail. Jerks. Ended up getting him on sale at Brian's toys a few years later.

I've been lucky waith all the 12"ers BEFORE the second E1 release. THEn things went to crap. Never saw the Sebulba wave in town so thats when i started ordering all my 12"ers by the case. But the Han/endor wave I bought at the store level. I refused to have any more of that Mr Hankey/chewbacca(someone at Hasbro should be fired for 1 sculpting that, 2 for aproving it, and 3 for packaging it and selling it) POS. This was good until the new Scout trooper wave. Damnit Hasbro! You were doing so good.

tagmac
10-06-2003, 01:34 PM
January, 1998

The line saw some brand new figures hit the shelves, as well as some previous exclusives now released in new packaging. Now dubbed "Action Collection," the figures were packed in largeer, flimsy window boxes whose design matched that of the new green packaging on the 3 3/4" figures. Compared to the wonderful Collectors Series packaging, these were a joke, and probably an early sign the line would start to warm the shelves (as it did more than ever a this point). In addition to the 12" figures, three 6" figures were released for some of the smaller characters in the movie.

Action Collection Wave 1
12"
Grand Moff Tarkin
Ceremonial Luke
Greedo
Sandtrooper w/spy droid

6"
Yoda
R2-D2 w/ retractable leg
Jawa

Exclusives:
FAO Schwarz - Jedi Luke/Bib Fortuna 2-pack

Japanese Exclusives:
Luke with "lightsaber-swinging action"
Han Solo with "swinging-arm action"

Exhaust Port
10-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Out of this wave I only picked up the Sandtrooper and R2-D2, both found in the store. You're right about this wave, it was pretty poor and collected dust for months on the shelf with the R2-D2 being the only exception.

tagmac
10-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Thinking they'd be as impossible to find as the previous wave, I picked up Ceremonial Luke, Greedo, and the Sandtrooper from the dealer at my local flea market. I skipped Tarkin since I already had the FAO 2-pack, but DID get the Sandtrooper since the exclusive had an Orange shoulder pauldron, while this one's was gray. I also bought Yoda, R2, and the Jawa from the same dealer. While I did find the other 12" warming TRU's shelves for months, I never did find the 6" figs at retail except for one time at KB (and they didn't even have Yoda). Of these, I thought Yoda and the Jawa (with light-up eyes) were easily the best.

The Jedi Luke was the best of the 12" had a new head sculpt, which was better than the original, and closer to his "older" look in ROTJ. I was lucky enough to once again get my name on the waiting list early enough to get one of the 20 or so Luke/Bib 2-packs from FAO, but not without dealing with a nasty manager who, when I said I could be in the next day to pick it up, very coldly said "no, you will be in today to pick it up," otherwise, they wouldn't let me get it. I guess it didn't matter to them that college kids can't always just run out to their stores at the drop of a hat, but thankfully she let me charge it over the phone. Since it was paid for, I could now wait til the next day to pick it up (Anyone else deal with a similar issue - it's no wonder IMO, this particular FAO closed at the mall it was in).

As for the Japanese exclusives, I neither cared about them, nor had any realistic way of getting them. Didn't matter, since I already had the regular versions.

Jaff
10-06-2003, 03:17 PM
The only thing I got out of the Ceremonial Luke wave was Ceremonial Luke, the rest were rehashes of exclusives so I didn't bother getting new versions. This wave was everywhere. I think I got it at Toys R' Us.

The Yoda, Jawa and R2 were awesome. I still can't believe they are going to make PLASTIC jawas because the soft good versions are still very nice. I got the Jawa's and R2 pretty easy (I think at Toys R' Us). The yoda took me about a year or so to get. I bought him at a comic shop during one of my buisiness trips.

The Luke and Bib 2 pack was (and still is) one of my most expensive items to collect. I paid well over $100 because FAO was nowhere near Toledo, Ohio. I mail ordered a damaged package because I open all my figs and sure enough the shipping was high too. In the end it was worth it!

As for the Japanesse exclusives I passed on.

Exhaust Port
10-06-2003, 03:21 PM
I've often been tempted to pick up the Luke/Bib 2-pack but can't quite find it for the price I want. Perhaps in a few years when interest dies I can get one cheaper. :)

Turambar
10-06-2003, 10:50 PM
This was when I quit collecting the 12" line for a time. I was so depressed at seeing the cheapness of the packaging and the rereleases of so-called "exclusive" figures that I had struggled to finally acquire. I just had enough and dropped out for a time. When I got back in again, I had no trouble picking up these pieces for 1/2 price usually on ebay.

tagmac
10-08-2003, 04:42 PM
April, 1998

Hoth Han Solo
Hoth Luke Skywalker
Snowtrooper
AT-AT Driver

A very small wave, but one of the easier to find ones. Although mostly rehashes, this gave those who couldn't get the expensive exclusives the chance to at least get Han and Luke. These versions were the same, with the exception of a snow design on the coats. The AT-AT Driver was basically the same except for the packaging, but the Snowtrooper was both highly anticipated and, IMO, one of the better figures up to that point.

tagmac
10-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Having gotten the exclusives, I didn't bother getting Han and Luke again. I did pick up the Snowtrooper and the AT-AT Driver from a dealer as soon as they came out (I never did get the Driver as an exclusive). I still never believed these would be as easy to find in stores as they were, although they didn't stick around as long as the Tarkin wave did.

Turbowars
10-08-2003, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=tagmac]April, 1998

Hoth Han Solo
Hoth Luke Skywalker
Snowtrooper
AT-AT Driver

I bought the 4 alone and then I asked my grandmother to order the 4 pack from JCPenny. To this day it is one of my favorites. I just love the figures together. I did buy a few more Snow troopers because they are just bad @ss and by far the best in the wave. I even customed a canon for one of the troopers. I never found the Blue cheast plate variation in retail, but picked one up from e-bay a year ago. Over all it's a good wave.

Turambar
10-08-2003, 06:54 PM
I got the snowtrooper loose on ebay later on, and man, he is awesome. Still one of my favorites. As for the others in the wave, I couldn't care less.

Exhaust Port
10-08-2003, 07:04 PM
I have the complete wave. All but the Snowtrooper was picked up in the secondary market (I was still playing catch up at this point). The Snowtrooper was purchased in Europe of all places on a trip there. It was the Tri-Logo packaging but I'm not certain if that is considered part of the wave or not. Either way, I have the figure in my collection and it looks dark good.

Jaff
10-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Hoth Han Solo
Hoth Luke Skywalker
Snowtrooper
AT-AT Driver

Well, I only got the Snowtrooper since the others were exlusives I paid big bucks for. I held out for the Han in Hoth since I wanted the one with the Tauntaun. These were fairly easy to find.

Turbowars
10-08-2003, 08:41 PM
Did anyone else get the JCPenny 4 pack?

Exhaust Port
10-08-2003, 10:18 PM
Not I. Since I'm an opener, there was no point in purchasing the high priced set (on the secondary market) since I could get the figures individually.

Jaff
10-08-2003, 11:12 PM
I could have bought one of those 4-packs, and it was a nice set the way it was packaged and all, but I'm like exhaust port. I've got to open my stuff. I held the set in my hands several times, but passed on it.

tagmac
10-09-2003, 06:05 PM
KB ended up getting a bunch of these 4-packs in, as well as the Penney's Ben vs. Vader 2-pack. I didn't need either of them, but did anyone else get them when they were re-released?

Exhaust Port
10-09-2003, 08:12 PM
The Vader/Ben 2 pack was a shelf warmer at the local KB and got dropped down to $30 towards the end. I was really tempted to pick it up since the price was reasonable but I never did. The light-up sabers were a neat novelty but I already had a Ben and Vader.

tagmac
10-10-2003, 06:55 PM
September 1998

Wave 2
Chewbacca in chains
Barquin D'an
Emperor Palpatine
Jedi Luke (w/ Rancor bone)

Electronic Darth Vader

FAO Schwartz exclusive: Biggs/Wedge 2-pack

About the only frustrating thing in this wave (unless you really wanted another Chewbacca) was the fact that the 12" Slave Leia got pushed back several times after it was initially going to be released from FAO at this time. Everything else was pretty easy to find.

tagmac
10-10-2003, 07:02 PM
I picked up Luke and the Emperor in TRU soon after they were released. No sign of Chewie, but I did manage to get a Barquin D'an at a Software Inc. shop (back when those stores actually got in new stuff regularly). I absolutley refused to buy Chewie unless I could find him at retail, but caved in when I got the 12" Boussh a few months later. I only paid $30 for it, so I didn't feel bad at all when I stopped in FAO Christmas week and found a bunch of Chewie's for the same (inflated retail) price.

The Darth Vader I ordered from Amazon, but found it was very easy to find in stores, despite it's popularity. The Biggs/Wedge set was far more plentiful than the previous FAO 2-packs, that it sat in stores for nearly a year after release. I had pre-ordered mine, and got it right away.

Exhaust Port
10-10-2003, 08:06 PM
This was an awful wave with one exception, Darth Vader. I got Vader for my birthday that year which would have made him an August release. To be honest I wasn't going to pick up this Vader as I already had the first release but I quickly changed my mind once I saw it in person. Man does he look great standing with my other figures!

I did get the Biggs-Wedge set as well but during Christmas 1999 rather than 1998. My parents had made a trip to NYC and stopped in FAO to find the boxes of Biggs-Wedge stacked chest high still. They picked up the figures for a song I guess.

I think they are great figures but they suffered from being an exclusive to FAO. In my opinion they would have sold a lot better if they were sold in every store. 1999 was still pretty early in the boom of pre-orders online for a lot of collectors, at least everyone that I knew. Compared to the 12" line figures collecting dust on the shelf, Biggs and Wedge were great looking figures.

Turbowars
10-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Wave 2
Chewbacca in chains
Barquin D'an
Emperor Palpatine

Electronic Darth Vader

I got case of 4 for x-mas that year. It came from the same place as the last wave. I never got Vader, don't ask why.:confused: I did get the FAO 2 pack and I remember ordering Slave Leia and Bar2-D2 at the same time. I love that R2!! Yeah the Biggs pack is cool, but even if it was in all retail stores, I think it would have sat just the same. Think about it, the regular Joe that likes SW isn't going to know who they are. I really wished they did fly, so that we could get move back ground 12" figures. It kind of was like a test to see it non main charactors would sell. Well at least that my 2 1/2 cents:stupid:

Turambar
10-10-2003, 11:43 PM
The majority of these were, once again, rehashes = no interest.
I got the vader and he remains one of my favorites to this day.
Also picked up the biggs & wedge pack which was pretty easy to find. I think it's still collecting dust at fao. I was happy to add them to my collection even though more interesting figures could have been made IMO.

Jaff
10-11-2003, 12:35 AM
Chewbacca in chains
Barquin D'an
Emperor Palpatine

Electronic Darth Vader

I passed on the entire wave, but the Electronic Darth is one of the greatest 12" made to date. Wow!!!!! I found him at Kay Bee on clearance for $9.99 in 2000. I held off buying him because I stubornly ignored all electronic 12". Little did I know that the best 12" were usually the electronic ones. As for the Biggs/wedge 2-pack I ordered them through mail, and they cost me some bucks. They are nice still, despite their lipstick mouths!

Turbowars
10-11-2003, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=Jaff]

I held off buying him because I stubornly ignored all electronic 12". Little did I know that the best 12" were usually the electronic ones.

QUOTE] I guess this why I never bought them.

tagmac
10-12-2003, 11:38 AM
November, 1998

The month of exclusives! However, Round 2 proceeded to be far less frustrating for collectors than the previous year, as these were actually EXCLUSIVE to stores, and not "LIMITED." Granted, some (like the Wal-Mart and Service Merch.) were not as easy to find as others, but for the most part, these were plentiful.

TRU: Electronic C-3PO & R2-D2
Wal-Mart: R2-D2 (w/utility arms), R5-D4, Wicket the Ewok
KB: Bespin Han Solo, Leia in Boussh Disguise, Tatooine Luke w/ Poncho 3-pack
Service Merchandise: Hoth Leia
Target: Electronic Emperor Palpatine & Royal Guard 2-pack

And since the following wave of exclusives is so small, I'll include it with this update.

December, 1998

KB: Electronic Boba Fett
Target: Han Solo w/ Carbonite Block

tagmac
10-12-2003, 11:47 AM
For the most part, I had no trouble finding these. Target had a whole endcap with the Emperor/Guard 2-pack, so I picked one up pretty quickly. The Electronic Fett and Droids I saw plenty of times, but didn't feel the need to get them since I already had the previous versions. Even when Fett went to $10 a year later, I skipped it. No regrets on those.

The KB 3-pack seemed like it was gonna be rare at first, as an employee told me they had taken customer names for what would likely be the only small shipment they'd get in. However, unlike Stormtrooper Han/Luke, this set ended up also being plentiful, and for once I held off paying a dealer $90, and got it at retail a few weeks later.

Since the only Wal-Mart by me is scalper heaven and a bit out of the way, I bought the droids and Wicket from a dealer at my flea market. The few times I did stop in WM, I never did see them anyway. Han in Carbonite I also bought from my usual dealer. I think I saw it once at Target months later (can't remember for sure), but I never did find them en masse like the Emperor/Guard. Still, a lot of peeps WERE finding them rather easily at retail, as this likely wasn't that rare either. The Service Merchandise near me was on it's last legs, and never did have the Hoth Leia, so that, too I bought at my local flea market. Thankfully, the prices on these exclusives weren't grossly overinflated like the previous year's exclusives were on the secondary market.

Jaff
10-12-2003, 12:23 PM

Never got the Electronic 3P0 and R2 because I did not think they looked any different than the early versions. However today I wished I got them because they were easy to find.

The KB pack I got after they went on clearance for $39. I really loved this set. The Boussh was a dream come true. The Han Bespin I could care less about, and the Luke with Poncho was great. I was glad to have a poncho luke.

The Wal-Mart mini figs were awesome. R5 and Wicket can still blast away some of the new 12" being released. The R2 I hesitated to buy and regreted it. Still it's just another R2 so I don't cry about it.

The Leia Hoth stunk, but I got her for $20 through a collector.

The Emperor and Guard I got on sale for $20 at Target. The guard is still one of my favorite 12" to date.

Turbowars
10-12-2003, 03:52 PM
(TRU 3PO and R2) was an easy find, but didn't pick it up until a year ago. (WM R2, R5 and Ewok) I got from E-bay some time after their release. (KB 3 pack) got it when it came out, I had my name on a list.(SM Hoth Leia) got her from SM mail order. (Target Han and Emperor )was easy to find, their were clearanced at like $5.99 (KB) Fett was around, but I never bought him and now I wish I did since the rest of the Bounty Hunters came out.

Exhaust Port
10-13-2003, 10:46 PM

And since the following wave of exclusives is so small, I'll include it with this update.

December, 1998

KB: Electronic Boba Fett
Target: Han Solo w/ Carbonite Block
I purchased R5-D4 to add to my other droids from the store, the KB 3-pack was purchased for a song off eBay a few months later. I also purchased Hoth Leia, Han Solo w/ Carbonite Block and the Emperor/Guard 2-pack from the store with no problems.

I saw tons of the C3PO/R2D2 exclusives at TRU for months after they came out but I never got one as it was a rehash of the 2 figures I already had. I passed on Wicket and R2-D2 as I never cared for the Ewoks and the Utility Arm feature wasn't that interesting. The Electronic Boba Fett did look a lot better than the previous release but I couldn't bring myself to purchase the more expensive electronic version.

The only regret I have from my purchases in this wave is the Han Solo with Carbonite Block. The figure wasn't that outstanding (albeit the face was a bit more like Harrisons) and the Carbonite Block was just poorly made. It should have had been more than a pressed piece of plastic.

tagmac
10-14-2003, 06:25 PM
March, 1999

A small release, with only 3 new figures, 2 of which were rehashes of previously released figs. However, we also finally saw the release of a long-awaited exclusive.

Wave 3

Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguise, w/ Dianoga tentacle
Obi-Wan Kenobi, w/Force Training Ball
Ponda Baba

FAO Exclusive - Slave Leia & R2-D2 w/Drink Tray

tagmac
10-14-2003, 06:28 PM
Initially, I only picked Ponda Baba at TRU, as it was the only completely new figure of the set. In 2002, I ended up caving in and buying Luke and Obi-Wan at a comic book shop.

Slave Leia/R2 I had pre-ordered from FAO. Unfortunately, when it came in, the box was crushed. Since I'm an opener, it really didn't bother me, but looking back, I wish I'd have replaced it, as the window display on the box was rendered useless cuz of the damage.

Jaff
10-14-2003, 07:06 PM
I got Ponda Baba when he was on clearance for $9, the luke and Ben I got from my shop scene 70, and the same for the FAO Leia. These were all everywhere in early 2000.

Exhaust Port
10-14-2003, 07:11 PM
I initially purchased Ponda Baba from the store but returned to pickup Obi Wan. I passed on Luke but I can't remember why. I had a friend on the East Coast make a trip to FAO to pick up the Leia exclusive.

About this time is when the 12" line started to collect a lot of dust on the shelves. A lot of these waves were real easy to get AND get on discount if you waited.

Turbowars
10-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Wave 3

Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Disguise, w/ Dianoga tentacle
Obi-Wan Kenobi, w/Force Training Ball
Ponda Baba

FAO Exclusive - Slave Leia & R2-D2 w/Drink Tray
I liked Wave 3. The Luke with the tentacle is great! The other 2 are cool also. I was so excited to get the R2 2 pack. What great set, I love the drink tray!! I just wished I had picked up another from a FAO in Vagas to open up, they had them for 9.99 or so.

Turambar
10-15-2003, 12:01 AM
The Nov/Dec '98 waves actually got me excited about the 12" line again. All those new figures were great to see and still among my favs.
I ended up getting them through comic shops or ebay.
The Elec 3po/r2 are my favorite versions of them and look great with my ANH figures. The elec Fett was a vast improvement over the CS, and the voice was a cool feature. The elec emperor & guard was great!! I loved this set. I never understood why so many people disliked the emperor figure. I thought it was well done, although I may take someone's advice and cut the hood from his head so I can drape it further forward. I love the royal guard, the big red machine! that is until I saw the transparent visor. What the @#$%! Sometime I'll attempt to paint it black. I don't care if that is accurate or not, I don't think you should see the eyes of such a badassed figure.

The R5 & wicket are perfect figures. It was nice to look back on the days when hasbro cared enough to use a few square inches of pleather for an ewok hood instead of molded plastic. I got the R2, also, but I'm not that impressed with it.

The 3pack gave me 2 great figures. The Leia Boushh is amazing, even moreso after seeing the pathetic barbie rehash. The face sculpt used for her and the Leia hoth is the best IMO. Too bad they have the butch hairdo, but that was easy to fix with a little paint. I hated the strange expression on the han carbo & bespin, but after switching to the CS solo, I am very happy with them -- especially the besping han. I always loved that outfit.

As for the next wave. . . have I said yet that more rehashes = less interest? I got the ponda baba at TRU clearance since this wave was such a shelf-warmer, and was quite disappointed. Why is he so shrimpy? And why is the seam so obvious for the detachable arm? I wish they didn't try to do that.
I also got the Leia/R2 at FAO when it was marked down. I guess the Bar-2 is pretty cool, but the barbie Leia with the inaccurate outfit did nothing for me.

tagmac
10-16-2003, 07:16 AM
December, 1999

After a long dry spell on 12" figures (possibly caused by the shelf warming of the last series), we got the most pathetic showing of 12" yet. The best figure of the wave ended up being shortpacked, and what *should* have been the best ended up becoming a pathetic, slopped together figure that, with the 3rd figure, warmed the shelf for months, still available on clearance even today.

Wave 4
Han Solo in Endor Poncho
Slave Leia
Chewbacca 13" tall

tagmac
10-16-2003, 07:18 AM
I found Chewbacca and Leia very easily. Only bought these because I am a Chewie fan and figured I'd give it a try, and because I thought this Leia looked a little better than the FAO version. Honestly, I think chewbacca looks pathetic, like a very skinny tree. The teddy bear version actually looked better. Han Solo I had to buy from my usual dealer, as he was impossible to find in stores being only one per case.

Exhaust Port
10-16-2003, 02:37 PM
The only one I would have bought from this wave was the Han Solo in Endor Poncho but I never saw him in the store. The other 2 I did see but passed on both. I already have the Slave Leia from the previous exclusive and the 13" Chewbacca was......well......perhaps the worse figure ever made. :D

Turambar
10-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Right on about the chewbacca, Exhaust Port.
They still are on clearance shelves at some TRUs in my area. I never got one. I did get the slave leia since it had a more accurate outfit and resembled Carrie Fisher a little bit more that the FAO barbie.
Never saw the han endor, and had to go to ebay for him. Nice outfit, but looks more like Tim Allen than Harrison Ford IMO.

Jaff
10-16-2003, 05:31 PM
We all know how sometimes I just go against the grain to some posts, so here I go again. Although I think the chewie was less than exceptional I will say that the 13" Chewie was leaps and bounds over those furry monstrosity chewie's. So I bought this Chewie, and he is the one I have displayed. I do think that this 12" as well as the Leia with hood are the only 12" that really need to be redone, so I really am not jumping for joy about this Chewie, but he was an improvement over the early ones.

The Han in Endor is one of the coolest 12" made to date. By far he is the best Han, and even after 3 years of owning him I do still glance at him now and then.

As for the Leia. I got the Leia with R2 so this one was passed on

I did find all of these easily in the stores in Nashville during late 2000.

Turbowars
10-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Wave 4
Han Solo in Endor Poncho
Slave Leia
Chewbacca 13" tall
I found this wave all at the same time, but past on Chewy. The Han rocks and the Leia isn't bad, I was with my wife when we found them and she couldn't understand why I left Chewy behind, since I usally buy everything in a set. So I can alway count on my wife to go back when I'm not there and get what I didn't buy. I think I get buyers remorse and feel bad spending so much on myself. Anyways I have all 3 and yes Chewy is the worse in the line of 12".

darthzirock
10-18-2003, 02:28 AM
Okay, like always, I'm late getting in on this thread. :p However, it's pretty easy for me to play catch-up, as I'm only a casual collector of the 12-inch figures. So, from the previous waves, I only have the original Vader, original C-3PO, original R2-D2, Electronic Vader, Yoda, Jedi Luke w/ Bone, and Slave Leia w/ R2-D2. Current wave, I only bought Princess Leia w/ Chain.

Basically, space and cost considerations have caused me to limit my 12-inch collection purchases to either the characters I really adore, or the figures that just really catch my eye.

tagmac
10-18-2003, 10:08 PM
I'm surprised nobody called me on this, but I should really hang my head in shame right about now. There was no "dry spell" for 12" figures.....I completely ignored the initial Episode I waves!! :(

I've been using the 1995-2000 saga section in the Collectors Database, and forgot to look at the Ep. I section. Over the next couple days, I'll catch up on the ones I missed.

Turbowars
10-18-2003, 10:13 PM
I'm surprised nobody called me on this, but I should really hang my head in shame right about now. There was no "dry spell" for 12" figures.....I completely ignored the initial Episode I waves!! :(

I've been using the 1995-2000 saga section in the Collectors Database, and forgot to look at the Ep. I section. Over the next couple days, I'll catch up on the ones I missed.I can give a rats *** about EP1 12". I pasted on all but the Maul and Speeder.

tagmac
10-18-2003, 10:15 PM
May, 1999

Episode I fever is in the air!!!! With the first "Midnight Madness" came 6 new 12" figures, five devoted to the prequel, one more from ANH. These did not warm the shelves for very long, particularly a certain new villain that would see scalpers buying 4 at a time to sell at ridiculous prices. There were also a couple "Barbie dolls" released at this time, but I will include them here for their compatibility with the 12" line.

Ep. I Action Collection - Wave 1:
Darth Maul
Qui-Gon Jinn
Jar Jar Binks

Portrait Edition:
Princess Leia, Ceremonial Gown
Queen Amidala, Black Travel Gown
Queen Amidala, Red Senate Gown

Queen Amidala Collection:
Hidden Majesty Amidala
Royal Elegance Amidala

tagmac
10-18-2003, 10:20 PM
The only figure I managed to get during Midnight Madness '99 was Jar Jar (which warmed the pegs for months). Since I wasn't one of the first few people to get in, I had no shot at a Maul, as people were buying 2-4 each of him. With a box of figures in my hand, I saw a Qui-Gon, but the crowd forced me to move in slow motion, and I watched as someone grabbed it before I could get within reach of it. I ended up picking one up in TRU a few weeks later. I went to KB when they opened at 6am the next morning, but for some reason, they didn't get in ANY of the 12" figures. Every time I found them in stores, ol' Darth was the only one gone - he was THE scalpers pick. I had no choice but to buy him off a dealer at my flea market. I found one in KB months later, but that was it.

The portrait editions were awesome - no "Barbie" garbage or anything like that. I found all 3 at different times in KB, only a few weeks after MM.

The Amidala collection I swore I would never buy, but ended up caving in for diorama purposes when they went on clearance at KB over a year later.

darthzirock
10-19-2003, 02:42 AM
Ep. I Action Collection - Wave 1: Darth Maul; Qui-Gon Jinn; Jar Jar Binks.
Portrait Edition: Princess Leia, Ceremonial Gown; Queen Amidala, Black Travel Gown; Queen Amidala, Red Senate Gown. Queen Amidala Collection: Hidden Majesty Amidala; Royal Elegance Amidala.

Picked up the Maul a few months after initial release at a Wal-Mart, which was the first time I ever saw him at retail. About a year later, I spotted another one and got him to have one MINMB. Didn't bother with Qui-Gon or Jar Jar. About a year after Princess Leia: Ceremonial Gown was released, I found one reduced at KB and snagged her.

Jaff
10-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Out of all this I only bought Princess Leia Ceremonial edition. I never really collected episode I even though I saw them everywhere. I figured since I'm a complete 3 3/4 collector including vehicles I shouldn't go after Episode I 12" since I got all the classic ones.

Exhaust Port
10-19-2003, 10:10 PM
I didn't make it to any of the early bird sales so by the time I hit the stores a few days later there wasn't anything in the 12" line left. A few weeks later I stumbled upon Jar Jar but I couldn't bring myself to buy him. I eventually I found a Qui Gon on the shelf but as you said tagmac, Darth Maul was the scalpers dream and I never saw one in the store. I lucked out and got him for near retail price on eBay a month later. At the time he was bringing in $50-70 online. Actually the seller of the first Maul I won refused to respond to my emails most likely because I won the bidding at $12 or something insanely low. Obviously they were interested in making a few bucks like everyone else was making on the figure so they ignored that I won. I ended up scoring a different auction a few weeks later for about $25. Not bad at the time.

I found the Red Dress Amidala Protrait Edition figure on clearance soon after it came out. The Black Dress version was also a dust collector for probably a year after its release but I never picked it up for what ever reason. I also kicked around the idea of buying the Leia version on clearance but also never got that one.

tagmac
10-20-2003, 04:44 PM
August, 1999

The next wave of Episode 1 12" hits the shelves, this time with 6" figures thrown in as well. Unlike the first series, these became pegwarmers (with the exception of one shortpacked 6" fig), and ended up being clearanced in KB stores months later.

Wave 2
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Watto
Battle Droid

6" figures
Anakin Skywalker
Pit Droid 2-pack
R2-A6

Ultimate Hair Amidala

tagmac
10-20-2003, 04:47 PM
I picked up Watto and the Battle Droid at KB, but Obi-Wan was difficult to find at first. I ended up getting him from a dealer, only to see him become a shelfwarmer soon after. I got all three 6" figures from the dealer as well, as I hadn't seen them right away, and didn't want to miss out on the 1-per-case R2-A6. Amidala I didn't buy until KB had them all on clearance a year later.

Jaff
10-21-2003, 01:31 PM
I did not buy one of these. I passed on all of them, even though they were everywhere.

Exhaust Port
10-21-2003, 08:19 PM
I picked up all of these at the store with the exception of the Queen Amidala doll. Watto and the 6" figures were the best of the wave.

Turbowars
10-21-2003, 08:38 PM
Same here, I didn't buy any of them.

tagmac
10-22-2003, 05:17 PM
December, 1999

Now that we've caught up to the waves, we're at the smallest one yet in the 12" line. Only ONE new figure this month.

Portrait Edition:
Queen Amidala (Return to Naboo)

Since it's so small, I'll jump ahead to the next wave in 2000, which only included 2 figures:

March, 2000

Beautiful Braids Padme

FAO Exclusive:
Qui-Gon Jinn & Queen Amidala - Defense of Naboo

tagmac
10-22-2003, 05:23 PM
I picked up Return to Naboo Amidala at KB right after it came out. I had actually visited my usual dealer that morning, and he was telling me that it was out, but very rare and thus would be expensive. I went to the local KB and found nothing, but went to another one 20 minutes away, and they had 3 of them up on the top shelf. Had to ask the manager to get it down for me, but it worked out.

BB Padme actually ended up on clearance when it was released, as the rest of the Amidala collection were shelfwarmers, and thus clearanced. It was only available in KB, and I actually bought them all at once.

Qui-Gon/Padme I ordered directly from FAO. Unlike my Slave Leia, this one arrived in mint condition, and remains one of the best ever of the 12" line. Perfectly scaled (Jinn was taller than Padme), more accurate faces, and excellent packaging made this an awesome exclusive.

Exhaust Port
10-22-2003, 05:30 PM
I picked up this Portrait Edition easily on clearance a few months after it came out. The FAO Exclusive popped up frequently on EBay but it was going for a lot more than I would pay for 2 figures so I passed. Plus, I didn't want another Qui Gon but I would have liked the Queen Amidala from that set.

Jaff
10-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Although the Defense of Naboo set was pretty cool I still passed on all of the Episode I stuff. It was a really boring time for 12" for me. I skipped on all of these.

darthzirock
10-24-2003, 03:01 AM
8/99 - Wave 2: Obi-Wan Kenobi; Watto; Battle Droid. 6" figures: Anakin Skywalker; Pit Droid 2-pack; R2-A6. Queen Amidala Collection: Ultimate Hair Amidala.

Somehow, I ended up getting the Anakin figure as a gift. It wasn't a holiday or birthday present, but just a gift because someone saw it a year later at a J.C. Penney's Outlet for ... $1.59! Didn't bother with anything else from this wave.

12/99: Portrait Edition: Queen Amidala (Return to Naboo). 3/00: Queen Amidala Collection: Beautiful Braids Padme; Qui-Gon Jinn & Queen Amidala - Defense of Naboo (FAO Schwarz exclusive).

Didn't get any of these, either.

tagmac
10-24-2003, 05:49 PM
June, 2000

After a long drought, we finally got several new figures, and a new exclusive which was the best 12" so far.

Wave 3
Mace Windu
Qui-Gon Jinn (Moisture Farmer Disguise)
OOM-9

Target Exclusive:
Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike

tagmac
10-24-2003, 05:51 PM
I picked up Mace from my usual dealer, as he was the most sought after, and thus toughest to find at retail. I picked up Qui-Gon and OOM-9 several weeks later at TRU.

The Biker Scout/Speeder Bike I also picked up from a dealer, only to find a couple in my local Target a few weeks later. Still, this was an awesome piece, so I didn't feel too bad about spending more.

Turbowars
10-24-2003, 07:26 PM
Buying the 12" Speeder was a rough one. I walked in a Target not to get the Speeder, but if it was there, I would definitely pick it up. Well as I came to the Action figure section I saw a lady in her 40s with one in her arms (E-bay Seller I think). I asked her if there were any left and she said yes, but they put them back on the cart and took them back into the stock room for no reason. Probably so she didn't buy them all. Anyways I made a fuss and no luck with getting one from that store, because the manager was convinced that I was with her. I was so POed. So my wife and I drove as fast as possible to another target that is only about 3 miles away and what do you know the same lady has one in her arms again and I was POed ever more. But here's the kicker. The lady felt sorry for me and she let me have the one she had. The stocker wouldn't take another out for me. So I guess the lady was cool after all, but I think she thought about the extra 50 bucks and decided to let me have it. Then about 3 weeks I was visiting some friends and I needed to get a housewarming gift so I went to target. What do you know, there were 2 just sitting there on the shelf. I wanted to buy another to open, but guess what, the money I had had to go to the gift. Oh well. :D

Exhaust Port
10-24-2003, 08:05 PM
I lucked out and was able to pick up all 4 of these figures in the store a day or 2 after they hit the shelves. Now I wish I had picked up a second Biker Scout.

Jaff
10-24-2003, 08:35 PM
June, 2000

After a long drought, we finally got several new figures, and a new exclusive which was the best 12" so far.

Wave 3
Mace Windu
Qui-Gon Jinn (Moisture Farmer Disguise)
OOM-9

Target Exclusive:
Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike

Passed on the 12" Episode figs yet again, but I was really tempted to buy Mace. However I was licking my lips for the 12" Speeder Bike and Biker scout. At the time I had my store Scene 70 and I got in contact with one my dealer friends and traded him two of the European Death Star Playsets for 10 of these beautiful 12" babies. Whether I got a deal or not did not make much different to me since I was wheeling and dealing almost any european item I could come across. I simply used Euro items to get American (or AMI) items. With that said we had plenty of these Biker scouts, but one of these went home with me! :D

tagmac
10-26-2003, 12:27 PM
August, 2000

A larger wave than we'd had in recent months, but not a stellar one. Hasbro blew it with the distribution, making most of these figures nearly impossible to find at retail, and one overproduced to the point that they couldn't even give it away.

Wave 4
Anakin Skywalker Pilot (w/ Theed Hangar Droid)
Sebulba
Boss Nass

Wal-Mart Exclusive: Darth Maul w/ Sith Speeder
Fan Club Exclusive: Chancellor Vallorum & Coruscant Guard
TRU Exclusive: Dewback & Sandtrooper

tagmac
10-26-2003, 12:34 PM
I didn't want another Anakin, so I skipped on it. Initially, I found a lone Sebulba at Target, but had no luck finding Boss Nass. Eventually, I returned Sebulba when Entertainment Earth was offering the two for sale as a set.

I had no trouble with the exclusives, although I never did find Maul at retail (my Wal-Mart is not only out of the way, but horrible when it comes to scalpers). I bought Darth at a Collectibles show at the mall I used to work at. Easily the best piece of this wave, and one of the best of all the exclusives IMO. I ordered the Vallorum/Guard set directly from the fan club, and got it pretty quickly and in good condition. Unfortuantely, I stupidly paid twice as much for the Dewback/Sandtrooper from my dealer. With the initial hype surrounding it, I assumed it would be impossible to find. As it turned out, the piece was huge, but less-than-spectacular. TRU got tons of them in, and still couldn't sell them for months on clearance. Plus, the figure was packed with the tail bent, and it was impossible to get that thing to look right out of the box.

Turbowars
10-26-2003, 01:32 PM
the figure was packed with the tail bent, and it was impossible to get that thing to look right out of the box.I fixed that problem. I cut a slit at the base of the tail and stuffed it with plastic bags. I used epoxy to seal it up and BAM a nice fat tail. I too bought this huge thing from E-bay for 75+ shipping and then it was on clearance for 29.99. I just got the Maul 2 pack from a friend about a year ago mimb for 20.

darthzirock
10-26-2003, 01:53 PM
June 2000 - Wave 3: Mace Windu; Qui-Gon Jinn (Moisture Farmer Disguise); OOM-9; Target Exclusive: Biker Scout w/Speeder Bike.
August 2000 - Wave 4: Anakin Skywalker Pilot (w/ Theed Hangar Droid); Sebulba; Boss Nass; Wal-Mart Exclusive: Darth Maul w/ Sith Speeder; Fan Club Exclusive: Chancellor Vallorum & Coruscant Guard; TRU Exclusive: Dewback & Sandtrooper.

Didn't get a single, solitary one of these! Saw plenty of the Dewback/Sandtrooper sets at TRU, and saw tons of the Maul/Sith Speeder sets at Wally World. (In fact, I saw one just recently at a South Carolina Wal-Mart, way up high on an overhead shelf and fairly banged-up.) I recall seeing most of the Wave 3 single-pack figures at retail, but only ever saw Sebulba and Boss Nass from Wave 4.

Exhaust Port
10-26-2003, 08:26 PM
I easily found Anakin and Sebulba but never once saw a Boss Nass which is too bad as he looked pretty good in the pictures. I ordered the Fan Club exclusive and it arrived in mint condition and it still remains one of my few MIB figures. The Stormtrooper/Dewback set was also pretty easy to find at TRU. Looking back on it I wish that I would have waited as it went on clearance about 4 months later and I could have saved 50% on it.

The Darth Maul/Speeder set was a no show until about 6 months after it's initial release. I don't know where they were hiding but they went from being invisible to being shelf warmers. Soon after their first appearance they were on clearance but I still passed. It looked like a great figure but I wasn't that interested in another Maul so I didn't buy one. I'll probably regret that years from now especially since I could have picked one up for about $20.

Jaff
10-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Wave 4
Anakin Skywalker Pilot (w/ Theed Hangar Droid)
Sebulba
Boss Nass

Wal-Mart Exclusive: Darth Maul w/ Sith Speeder
Fan Club Exclusive: Chancellor Vallorum & Coruscant Guard
TRU Exclusive: Dewback & Sandtrooper

When I owned Scene 70 we ordere 6 cases of this wave, and it did not last long at all. The Sebulba really tempted me, the Nass and Anakin did not. In the end I got none of these. I did not either purchase or order the Darth Maul w/ Sith Speeder for Scene 70. I assumed that this 12" would be easy to find as all the Wal-Mart exclusives, and it was another Maul, and therefore would have less of a demand than another exclusive. Luckily I was right the Speeder Maul was everywhere! The Vallorum and Coruscant Guard was awesome though and I did buy it. A year later I gave these two 12" to a collector buddy of mine. By the way why have they not made Palpatine yet from Episode I or II. Or a Nute Gunray! If they wanted to get me to buy prequel 12" they would have to make those to get me hooked. The only thing of this set that I bought with eagerness was the Dewback, and I am still pleased with it even though his head and legs are very easilly breakable. The Dewwy really was poorly made, and like most of you I paid $80 for mine. Later I ordered 4 more of these for Scene 70, but they sold poorly, even though I had them for $50 a piece upon two weeks after it's release. I guess it was just too big for some collectors. To date the Dewback is my wife's favorite 12"

Turbowars
10-27-2003, 07:28 PM
To date the Dewback is my wife's favorite 12"Oh come now, there must be another 12" of yours she likes?:crazed:

tagmac
10-27-2003, 07:52 PM
If I recall, Nute, Senator Palpatine, and Sidious were supposed to be released as 12" figures, and were even listed as "upcoming." Don't know why these were never produced, but they would have been great figures.

Exhaust Port
10-27-2003, 09:58 PM
I too remember those being on the future release lists about the time of the Valorum 2-Pack. Too bad they never made it to the shelf, that would have been an interesting series of figures. Instead we got 5 versions of Qui Gon, Darth Maul, Anakin and Obi Wan. Thank god too as I need at least one snicker and one smiling version of each character. :)

Jaff
10-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Oh come now, there must be another 12" of yours she likes?:crazed:

she digs han hoth, that's about it

tagmac
10-28-2003, 05:25 PM
November, 2000

After a long wait, we finally get the Bounty Hunters we'd all been waiting for. These were the best 12" figures to come along in a long time. We also got an exclusive that was also of high quality, and easy to find.

Wave 5
Bossk
IG-88
4-LOM

TRU Exclusive:
Sith Lords: Darth Vader & Darth Maul

tagmac
10-28-2003, 05:26 PM
I ordered a case of the Bounty Hunters from Entertainment Earth, kept one of each, and sold the other set to my regular dealer. As for the Sith Lords, I had no intention of buying yet another Vader and Maul, but when TRU started clearancing them, I caved in and picked one up.

Turbowars
10-28-2003, 06:47 PM
I got a set from Target and since we got Zuck and Den, I bought another set from e-bay for 35 bucks to open. I saw the 2 packs for a long time, but never bought it.

Jaff
10-28-2003, 11:35 PM
Wave 5
Bossk
IG-88
4-LOM

Sith Lords 2-pack

I am still suffering with spastic joy over the IG wave. Although it was the last wave that I ordered for Scene 70 I recieved it with abundant enthusiasm and cheers. Wow this wave was everything 12" figs should be. They were pretty easy to find anywhere too

As for the sith lords 2-pack I could care less. It was just another Maul, and another Darth who could not hold a candle to the Electronic one. Saw it a few times in stores but all in all it was not that hard to find.

darthzirock
10-29-2003, 02:01 AM
11/00 - Wave 5: Bossk; IG-88; 4-LOM. TRU Exclusive - Sith Lords: Darth Vader & Darth Maul.

Passed on all of these, although I saw them quite often. As much as I kept considering the Sith Lords 2-pack, I knew I had no where to put the bloody thing, plus it was kinda steep for my wallet at the time. And, yes, the Ep. I Maul 12" was better, plus the POTF2 Electronic Vader was much sweeter (even if it did lack the removable hand!).

bobafrett
10-29-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm still waiting for the Yoda, Luke, Biker Scout, Ewok wave. I saw the case at EE w/2 Yoda, 2 Luke, 1 Biker Scout, and 1 Ewok set. I went to purchase it at EE, and they are sold out. I was hoping for 2 Biker Scouts as I keep my figures boxed, unless I get two, then that second one gets opened.

I used to work at Wal-Mart, and was glad I did when the 12" cantina set hit. I was able to get all 6 band members. Same with the 12" Tusken since they had one with Gaffi, the other w/rifle. I have the 12" Darth Maul w/speeder bike. I had seen one a long while after it was released, and kept waiting for it to go on clearance, then one day it was gone.

I regret not picking up the Anakin Theed Hanger figure. I had also passed on the Boss Nass and Sebulba, but only because I didn't have the money for those when they came out, and I only saw them once at retail, until 6 months ago, I found Boss Nass and Sebulba at a Wal-Mart. They were still full price, and they must have been up on the riser for awhile. I searched for the Anakin that came with that wave to no avail. I did see him at a collectors show but the dealer was asking more than I was willing to dish out.

Exhaust Port
10-29-2003, 10:28 AM
Bossk
IG-88
4-LOM

TRU Exclusive:
Sith Lords: Darth Vader & Darth Maul
Your right tagmac, this wave was easy to find. This release is how every wave should be treated. For what ever reason it hit nearly every store around my parts that carries the 12" line about the same time. They each carried enough of the figures that if you wanted one you found one. A few months later they were all gone and never hit the clearance aisle. Perfect.

The TRU Exclusive wasn't a big hit though and did become yet another clearance aisle resident. Just as they came out with such a great wave of never before released figures (and they were part of a theme which is even better) they slapped together yet another bunch of previously released figures for an exclusive. All these have ever done is turn off the stores that carry the 12" line. TRU especially has taken a beating on these repacks/resculpts/re-releases.

I bought all 3 figures in the Bounty Hunter wave but passed on the Exclusive.

Turambar
10-29-2003, 11:43 AM
If I recall, Nute, Senator Palpatine, and Sidious were supposed to be released as 12" figures, and were even listed as "upcoming." Don't know why these were never produced, but they would have been great figures.

I remember Ody Mandrell being on the list, too. Was Rune also included? I can't remember.

Turambar
10-29-2003, 12:01 PM
Okay, I have a lot of catching up to do! I just got moved into my new place so I missed the last 6 waves.

11/00
The bounty hunters at last! This was the moment I had been dreaming about since the 12" line began! This was the most exciting wave hasbro ever released. I took no chances on it and ordered the case from EE. I was so happy that hasbro later completed the ESB bounty hunters with Dengy and Zuckuss.
I also picked up the Vader/Maul 2 pack later because I liked the removable hand feature of the Vader. It makes for a great display with his helm off and Luke kneeling by him.

8/00
Let's see. . . I passed on the Ani that was now marked up to $20 for some reason. I picked up the sebulba at TRU, and got Nass off of ebay which appears to have been a good move, now.
I saw the Maul/Speeder, but had no interest as I'd already gotten a Maul. The Chanc Val/Guard 2pack was really great. The materials used and likenesses were fantastic. I thought it would go great with the Sen Palpy that never was made.
I also payed $80 for the dewback/sandy. I'm not too crazy about it. I hate the way the sandtrooper/stormtrooper armor looks -- this sandtrooper didn't even have the sandy armor! The dewback doesn't really resemble a dewback with that shrunken head. I think it could have been done better.

6/00
I found the biker scout/speeder at target by chance one night along with the skiff. I had seen the y-wing there a week earlier, but passed. Anyway, the Scout/speeder made a great xmas gift for my brother. It was really well done.
I had to get Windu off of ebay, but found the BD Cmdr and passed on the QG rehash.

12/99
I wasn't near a Fao at the time, so had to get all the PE's off of ebay. They're okay. I'm just not into the barbie's with fancy outfits. The QG/amidala 2pack, though, was great.
That Qui-Gon is in my top 5 maybe top 3 favorite figures. It's too bad they couldn't have made a larger body for the dooku to put him at correct scale, too.
Got all the QA collection at KB on clearance. They may not be too bad when I finally get around to transplanting bodies for them.

5 & 8/99
Found every single one of these at walmart or tru EXCEPT for the Darth Maul. I never saw him once on a shelf, soooo off to ebay once again. These were all pretty darn good figures.

tagmac
10-30-2003, 08:06 PM
January, 2001

Not much in the way of 12" figures at this point, with the exception of two exclusives.

TRU Exclusive: Luke Skywalker (100th figure)
Target Exclusive: Captain Tarpals w/ Kaadu

tagmac
10-30-2003, 08:09 PM
I bought Tarpals from a dealer, only to find it on the shelf 2 weeks later. I never opened it, but unfortunately, it became a slight victim of last year's snowstorms. We had a huge rainstorm that melted a lot of the snow and ice, causing water to seep in from the chimney, into the crawlspace. It wasn't a huge leak, but this box was on top of the pile right next to the chimney in the crawlspace, and ended up suffering water damage to the cardboard. Luckily the figure itself is still alright.

As for Luke, I had enough 12" Lukes, and had no reason to buy it, not even when they went on clearance after warming the shelves for months.

Exhaust Port
10-30-2003, 10:39 PM
The only reason I have Luke is because I was in the store with my girlfriend. We walked pass them on clearance and I made note of the price. She owed me $20 so she bought it for me and we called it even. I haven't opened it as I don't want to lose all the pieces.

I never did see Tarpals in the store. They were going for very little on eBay so I was tempted to pick one up but never did.

bobafrett
10-30-2003, 11:23 PM
I tried picking up the 2 pack 12" Tarkin and Death Star trooper from eBay, only to be outbid while I was at work. Oh well, I'll just keep searching. No biggie, I have Tarkin in the single figure box. I'm not sure if I have a 12" Death Star Trooper though.

Jaff
10-31-2003, 05:25 PM
100th luke skywalker
captain tarpals

I passed on the 100th luke because I had all the other 12" lukes and I didn't see too much of an improvement on the likeness. besides I was'nt about to shell out 50 bucks for it. The captain tarpals was a gift to me from an old customer from scene 70. The guy was unfortunately a real racist (towards whites) and since he couldn't get past that I didn't want my family to be around that so that relationship did not hold. The tarpals went real cheap at Target. I remember seeing some of them for $10. If it wasn't given to me I might have bought one. To date the Tarpals and TC-14 (which I use to represent U-3PO Tantive protocal droid) are the only two prequel 12" I own.

tagmac
10-31-2003, 08:17 PM
Jaff, you just called me on one I forgot about. Actually, I missed two 12" figures - that's what I get for using the databse and not realizing these electronic figures weren't listed with the rest of the 12" line. :rolleyes: :stupid:

March, 2000 - Electronic talking Ep. 1 C-3PO
June, 2000 - Electronic Talking TC-14 (KB Exclusive)

I ordered C-3PO from EE. Was an interesting piece, with the different speech points on the figure accessed by using the "tool" that came with it. TC-14 I bought from a dealer. I found it at KB once afterwards, but it wasn't that easy to find at retail.

tagmac
11-01-2003, 10:00 AM
August, 2001

After a long drought, we finally see a new wave of figures. While not extremely difficult to find, these didn't clog up the shelves much either, probably due to a lack of interest and stores not ordering as much as previous waves.

Wave 6
Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise
Death Star Droid w/ Mouse Droid
Death Star Trooper

tagmac
11-01-2003, 10:03 AM
I bought Han Solo from a dealer, but he didn't have the others. A week later I was in TRU, and they had just put out a bunch of this wave, and I got the Death Star Droid and Trooper. DS Droid was definitely the nicest of this set. Han Solo I bought to open, since I never opened my KB 2-pack due to it's rareness. The DS Trooper came with two headpieces, so I ended up buying a second one, so I could display one as the Trooper with the big helmet, and the other as the "Imperial Commander."

Exhaust Port
11-01-2003, 10:09 AM
Of the 2 Electronic figures I only purchased TC-14. I already had a C3-P0 and couldn't see purchasing another. TC-14 was a nice looking figure that looks great among my collection. I didn't have any problem finding one but I kind of wished I waited a bit longer to buy one at discount a few months later.

This last wave of figures was purchased online. I had ordered the 3 as a set since it was cheaper that buying them at the store so I never even bothered to look for them.

Jaff
11-01-2003, 10:46 AM
March, 2000 - Electronic talking Ep. 1 C-3PO
June, 2000 - Electronic Talking TC-14 (KB Exclusive)

The Electronic C-3PO I saw and was generally unimpressed with while I was running Scene 70. I passed on him, but bought TC-14 (who was at every Kay Bee) just so I could use him as U-3PO from A New Hope.

Death Star Trooper

I was really excited about this wave. The Death Star Droid and Death Star Trooper was one more step closer to closing the gap for the first two wave of 3 3/4 vintage figures. Now we just need a Gonk, Momaw, and Snaggletooth to complete the set. The Han I really did not care about. I passed on him at first but then thought about how good his face looked as opposed to the Bespin and regular Han. Although the figure did not look as good as the Endor Han 12" I decided to buy him. I now display that Han in my room, while the Kay Bee Exclusive Han in Stormtrooper is used as an extra Stormtrooper for my shelves.
These were very easy to find in Wal-Mart and Toys R Us, and I got them with ease.

Turambar
11-01-2003, 03:41 PM
I, too was really excited about the 2 new figures. I stupidly ordered the case again, not realising they would pile up on shelves in a short time. Although the DS Droid and DS trooper aren't the best figures by any means, I was really stoked to get the DS trooper so I could line up the first 12 vintage set.

I echo your sentiment about hamhead, gonk, and snaggy, Jaff. I think those three would have made a much more sensible tatooine wave than the rehashed Ben, cheaped out jawas, and garindan that we are getting. Why not just make a 4 fig wave by putting garindan with those three? Oh yeah, too much effort from hasbro.

tagmac
11-03-2003, 04:20 PM
November, 2001

Two more exclusives hit store shelves, during an otherwsie major drought in 12" figures.

Target: Luke Skywalker w/ Speeder Bike
Wal-Mart: Dagobah Luke & Yoda

tagmac
11-03-2003, 04:21 PM
I bought Luke at a collectibles show in a mall, only to find several in Target 2 weeks later. I never did see the Luke/Yoda set at Wal-Mart, and bought it from my regular dealer instead.

Turbowars
11-03-2003, 08:48 PM
TRU Exclusive: Luke Skywalker (100th figure)---------------I think I got it from e-bay?
Target Exclusive: Captain Tarpals w/ Kaadu-------------------- Saw these everywhere, but never bothered

Turbowars
11-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Death Star Trooper
These came from e-bay also. 12" Luke with speeder was found at a Target along with 50 on the shelf. I never saw the Luke with Yoda, I just got it from E-bay not to long ago.

Turambar
11-03-2003, 09:03 PM
Got the luke/speeder & tarpals/kaadu from target after a couple weeks of regular checking.

Jaff
11-03-2003, 10:50 PM
Target: Luke Skywalker w/ Speeder Bike

I bought the Luke in Dagobah in Elmira New York around Christmas while I was visiting my wife's inlaws. As for the Luke with Speeder Bike I found him really easy on the shelves. I had thought that he would have been hard to find like the speeder bike and Biker Scout, but he wasn't.

Exhaust Port
11-04-2003, 08:58 PM
November, 2001Target: Luke Skywalker w/ Speeder Bike
I found the Luke/Speederbike set easily but never saw the Walmart Exclusive. I didn't look to hard for it though as I wasn't really interested.

tagmac
11-05-2003, 04:44 PM
April, 2002

Episode 2 is almost here. Midnight Madness II brings an end to the 5 month drought of 12" figures. Unlike Ep. I, these figures were much easier to find.

Episode II Wave 1:
Anakin Skywalker
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Clone Trooper (white)

tagmac
11-05-2003, 04:46 PM
I was originally going to stop collecting 12" figures at this point, but MM 2 changed my mind. When I saw all 3 so easily available (unlike MM 1), I got all 3 at TRU.

Jaff
11-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Clone Trooper (white)

Episode II 12" was yet another wave I passed on.

Turambar
11-05-2003, 08:55 PM
I was surprised to find all three sitting on the shelf at walmart late at night. Needless to say I found these easily.

Turbowars
11-06-2003, 07:09 PM
I bought the white clone some time after MM. Past on the other 2.

Exhaust Port
11-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Found all 3 on the shelf.

tagmac
11-07-2003, 12:35 PM
June, 2002

Episode II is going strong in theaters, and with it came several new exclusives, as well as a super deluxe figure. All of these were quite easy to find, some still warming the shelves today.

Jango Fett (w/ missle-firing backpack and accessories)
TRU Exclusive: Mace Windu
KB Exclusives: Clone Trooper (Red)
Clone Commander (Yellow)
Fan Club Exclusive: Ki-Adi Mundi

tagmac
11-07-2003, 12:38 PM
I ordered Jango and Mace from Amazon.com, and surprisingly received them in excellent condition. Jango was awesome with all those accessories, and so I still haven't opened mine. I ordered the two clones from KB's website, and also received them pretty quickly. Ki-Adi Mundi was delayed for a bit, but I ended up getting it from the Fan Club pretty quickly once it became available.

Turbowars
11-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Jango Fett (w/ missle-firing backpack and accessories) Found at TRU very early

Mace Windu. Past on

Clone Trooper (Red) Found at retail
Clone Commander (Yellow) Found at retail

Ki-Adi Mundi. Found at a Wizzards store for $4.95 in mint condition. They had a ton of them!!

Turambar
11-07-2003, 05:45 PM
Got all these guys quite easily off of the different retailer's websites. I really loved seeing store exclusives again. One wave out and we already had 5 exclusives! The Jango and Ki are awesome! Not quite sure what happened to Mace, but using the E1 body, it became a great figure.

Exhaust Port
11-07-2003, 06:32 PM
I found all of these in the store and ordered the Ki-Adi Mundi figure. I did have some trouble tracking down the Jango Fett figure but it turns out that all the stores around here were just really, really slow getting new stuff to the shelves (the beginning of a long trend). I ended up picking up a second one when Jango was on clearance.

Jaff
11-07-2003, 09:59 PM
I passed on all of these too. Don't like prequel 12". At about this time I was saving up hoards of cash because of the lack of 12" but also crying because of the lack of Classic Trilogy 12". :cry:

tagmac
11-09-2003, 04:18 PM
August, 2002

Episode 2 is winding down in theaters, yet we see a new release of 12" figures from the movie. We also saw the release of another exclusive, as well as two more electronic figures.

Ep. II Wave 2
Count Dooku
Zam Wessel
Super Battle Droid

TRU Exclusive: Tauntaun w/ Luke Skywalker

Electronic battling Jango Fett
Electronic battling Obi-Wan Kenobi

tagmac
11-09-2003, 04:22 PM
I ordered Dooku, Zam, and SBD from Amazon, as well as the Tauntaun. Dooku is, IMO, THE best likeness of a SW actor in 12" form. The Tauntaun was alright - kudos to Hasbro for correctly giving it a broken horn. Otherwise, it was simply a re-hash of two previously released figures.

The elctronic figures looked very cheaply made to me, and so I skipped them entirely.

Turbowars
11-09-2003, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=tagmac]August, 2002

Count Dooku ----quick and easy at WM
Zam Wessel---- WM
Super Battle Droid----WM

TRU Exclusive: Tauntaun w/ Luke Skywalker----Found easly at TRU. I really wished these would have flown off the shelves so we could get other big 12" sets

Electronic battling Jango Fett----- No way in hell was I going to buy these!!
Electronic battling Obi-Wan Kenobi-----See above.

Jaff
11-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Count Dooku ----quick and easy at WM
Zam Wessel---- WM
Super Battle Droid----WM

TRU Exclusive: Tauntaun w/ Luke Skywalker----Found easly at TRU. I really wished these would have flown off the shelves so we could get other big 12" sets

Electronic battling Jango Fett----- No way in hell was I going to buy these!!
Electronic battling Obi-Wan Kenobi-----See above.

Once again episode II stuff so I didn't get. That Dooku really tested my ways though. What a beautiful 12". The Electronic figures were the most humorous 12" I've ever seen. When Obi-Wan says "Give up bounty hunter." I always have to bust out laughing. Sounds like senior citizen Obi-Wan to me!

The Luke and Tauntaun I passed on. I had the Han and Tauntaun, and the Luke and Wampa so I didn't see the need. This was a wasted 12" if you ask me.

Turbowars
11-09-2003, 06:02 PM
The Luke and Tauntaun I passed on. I had the Han and Tauntaun, and the Luke and Wampa so I didn't see the need. This was a wasted 12" if you ask me.No one asked you buddy!;):D I'm a sucker for things like this. I think because I had such a hard time finding the Han version, I jumped on the Luke ASAP. I do like it though. The Hoth clothing and gear are just awesome. I do understand why some didn't buy it, because we already have a couple releases of Hoth Luke and han with Tauntaun.

tagmac
11-11-2003, 05:00 PM
October, 2002

Finally, what many 12" collectors had dreamt of, the re-creation of the Bounty Hunter scene in ESB!

Wave 3
Zuckuss
Dengar
Imperial Officer

December, 2002
Internet Exclusive: Plo Koon

This figure was originally supposed to be a Fan Club exclusive, but due to problems stemming from the buyout by Pazio, it ended up becoming an Internet exclusive, picked up by Entertainment Earth, among other on-line stores.

tagmac
11-11-2003, 05:01 PM
I had no trouble with these. Ordered Zuckuss, Denger, and Imp. Officer from amazon, then got Plo Koon from Ent. Earth. They were delayed for a bit, but otherwise I had no problems.

Exhaust Port
11-11-2003, 09:22 PM
August, 2002

Ep. II Wave 2
Count Dooku
Zam Wessel
Super Battle Droid

TRU Exclusive: Tauntaun w/ Luke Skywalker

Electronic battling Jango Fett
Electronic battling Obi-Wan Kenobi
I ordered this wave to save me from the hunt and also ordered the Luke/Tauntaun as well. I passed on the electronic figures but did see them in the stores.

October, 2002

Wave 3
Zuckuss
Dengar
Imperial Officer

December, 2002
I also ordered this wave so I didn't have to hunt for them but it wouldn't have been a problem as I think I can still find these occasionally on the shelves. I also ordered Plo Koon and recieved him in mint condition.

bobafrett
11-11-2003, 09:24 PM
That reminds me, I had put in an order for a Plo Kloon 12" figure, then got an e-mail saying that they were not going to get any more in. Argh! Haven't seen any on eBay, but have seen them going for pretty high at a couple of online e-tailers.

Jaff
11-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Wave 3
Zuckuss
Dengar
Imperial Officer

December, 2002

The Zuckuss wave! Finally some 12" stuff that I could be excited about collecting. After a long drought I was so very happy to get classic 12" and these were top notch. Zuckuss must be my favorite 12" next to IG. My wife bought these for me in November 2002, and made me wait until Christmas day to get them. I forgave her after I opened them.

As for the Plo Koon, didn't really care, prequel 12". Make more classic trilogy Hasbro!

tagmac
11-13-2003, 04:21 PM
January, 2003

The last "easy to find" wave, and a lousy one at that. Not that the figure choices were that bad (could have done w/o the rehash), but they just looked horrible. After arriving late in many stores and online, this seems to be the only wave not rotting on the shelves as badly as the two previous, likely because it was never released in as large a quantity.

Wave 4
Padme Amidala
Anakin (w/robotic arm)
Geonosian Warrior

tagmac
11-13-2003, 04:25 PM
These figures hit late by me. I was extremely close to ordering them from Amazon, but the website only had them listed by numbers that didn't identify which was which, and e-mailing the company was no help, as they claimed to "not have that info." Since I didn't need a second Anakin, I wasn't about to gamble on which figure I might get.

Anyway, a short time later, I was in TRU, and they a couple of each on the shelf. I picked up a Padme and Geonosian Warrior, and saved myself the shipping costs (Amazon now had the figures listed by name when I got back online that night). I never did see this wave again until about a month ago, when a couple of each were back on the shelves at my TRU. Unfortunately, they're STILL there, dashing any hopes that they'll ever get in the next two waves.

Jaff
11-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Wave 4
Padme Amidala
Anakin (w/robotic arm)
Geonosian Warrior

More episode II dolls. Sad days! Never got these, never interested. How about some classic figs.

Turambar
11-14-2003, 07:49 PM
I believe I bought the dooku wave online since it was supposed to be released in june, but never hit shelves till months later.

The bounty hunter II wave!!! I preordered that as soon as I could. That completed my one dream of the 12" collection. among the best done figures of the line, fortunately.

I had no problem getting Plo, either. I feel bad for those of you who missed out. not as good as ki-adi, but still a solid fig.

now, onto the worst the 12" line had offered in a long time: padme, ani, geo. What a slap in the face to 12" collectors! What an outrage! the 3rd wave of E2 figs and we get a rehash already?! Even better, hasbro managed to stick to their trend of making worse head sculpts every time they rehash with that awful supposed anakin figure. I got the two new figs, padme & geo. The padme, like ani, looks like it was intentionally fouled up. They would seriously have to try to make figures look that bad. The geo is a pretty good figure, though.

tagmac
11-15-2003, 08:59 PM
February, 2003

Slim pickings out there. The previous 3 waves are rotting on the shelves, and after some delays, all we get is a lousy exclusive that never should have been made.

TRU Exclusive: Princess Leia (Boussh disguise) w/ light-up Carbonite Block

April 2003

The result of all the old figures on the shelves is the poor distribution of this new wave. While 2 of the 3 figures are much better quality, small quantities available online sell out too quickly, while few stores ever get them in. Word that Hasbro is discontinuing this wave early is even more discouraging to collectors.

Wave 5
Han Solo w/ quick draw action
AT-ST Driver
Lando Calrissian - Skiff Guard Disguise

tagmac
11-15-2003, 09:02 PM
I was somewhat interested in the Leia Boussh figure, until I saw how lousy it looked compared to the previous version I already had from the KB 3-pack. I was interested in what was so special about the carboniteblock, but after seeing it in TRU and trying out the cheesy light-up effect, I passed on it. I already had the Target Han in Carbonite anyway, so why waste money.

I didn't need another Han, but I REALLY wanted Lando and the AT-ST Driver. Unwilling to order a case online, I waited for Amazon to sell them separately. I'm still waiting. I have never seen any of these figures at retail or at most online stores (not for reasonable prices at least), and seen maybe 2 on ebay that were also too expensive. At this point, I was starting to get disenchanted with the 12" line.

Turbowars
11-15-2003, 09:18 PM
I bought a AT-ST driver at TRU about a month ago. They had one Driver, 3 Hans and ZERO Landos.

Exhaust Port
11-16-2003, 06:33 PM
Wave 4
Padme Amidala
Anakin (w/robotic arm)
Geonosian Warrior
I had preordered this wave so I never had to hunt for them even though they all stayed on the shelves for 6 months or more after they first hit. There ended up not being the best figures so I learned my lesson and I stopped pre-ordering my 12" figures.

February, 2003

April 2003

Wave 5
AT-ST Driver
I passed on Leia as I already had the 3-pack but this last wave just showed up for the first time here a few weeks ago. All I've been able to find is the AT-ST Driver and Han Solo. I'm definately not getting Han but I'm kicking around the AT-ST Driver figure. I really, really want Lando but I'm waiting a few months before I panic and go to the secondary market looking for one. All the waves from the last 2 years have been piling up collecting dust so I'm going to be patient and see if shows up.

tagmac
11-17-2003, 04:42 PM
May, 2003

Just one new exclusive at this point, and with mixed eactions. Some think it's among the best ever 12" figures, others find a lot of problems with it. Either way, still better than some of the recently released figures, and certainly easier to find.

KB Exclusive: Gamorrean Guard

tagmac
11-17-2003, 04:43 PM
I pre-ordered mine from KB.com several months in advance. Didn't think it would be so easy to find, but after mine came in, I started to see them everywhere. KB still has tons of them sitting on the shelves with the Clone Troopers. Overall, not a bad figure IMO, except for some small issues with the color scheme.

Exhaust Port
11-17-2003, 05:39 PM
I only saw the KB Clone trooper's once so I had preordered this figure. I know I said in my previous post that I had sworn off pre-ordering 12" figures but I had ordered this at the same time that I had the last wave. :) I did have a online coupon that saved me $5 on the figure which just about cancelled out the shipping.

I had the same experience as you tagmac, it was a mere few days after I got my GG that I saw them in the store. They must have ordered more because there were there for a few weeks before they disappeared for good.

Turambar
11-17-2003, 07:49 PM
When I ordered this from the web, there was some screw up with KB's shipping, so the order was cancelled. The next day I found the GG's at the local KB. I'm one of the only people that have lots of problems with this figure. I was expecting a lot more.

Jaff
11-17-2003, 10:23 PM

Wave 5
AT-ST Driver

Gamorean Guard (Kay Bee)

Never got the Leia, or Han as they were rehashes, but I was one of the lucky ones to find Lando and AT-ST Driver on my trip to Toledo, Ohio the week they were released. Lando was terrific. After several months of hunting I finally landed my Gamorean. WOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!

tagmac
11-19-2003, 03:50 PM
August, 2003

And now we come to the final wave of 12" released up through today. Yet another impossible to find at retail (and poorly packed at that) set of 4 figures, and a somewhat easy to find exclusive. Perhaps if Hasbro hadn't double packed the rehashes and given us more of the newer figures in this wave, they might be easier to find even online.

Wave 6
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
Biker Scout
Ewoks
Yoda (w/ lightsaber)

Target Exclusive: Speeder Bike w/ Princess Leia

tagmac
11-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Once again, a wave I have yet to find anywhere. I'd love to get just the Ewoks, but I don't see it happening. I refused to order a case or even a set just for one figure, as I didn't need the rehashes. Only difference between this wave and the last is, I had a chance to pre-order from Kebco, but didn't take it. I'm disappointed, but not losing any sleep over it. Perhaps these will show up at retail, or even a collectibles show eventually.

I seriously considered the Leia/ Speeder Bike, but the Luke and Biker Scout versions already take up too much space in their boxes. While I'd love to complete the trio, money and space play a factor in why I never ordered it. Perhaps I'll have a sudden change of heart should I see one in retail, but not at this time.

Exhaust Port
11-19-2003, 09:09 PM
I preordered Leia w/ Speederbike to complete that collection and had an online coupon to save some money there.

Of the rest of the figures I really only want the Biker Scout, perhaps even 2. I haven't seen a single figure from this wave yet. If I don't ever get any of them I won't lose any sleep.

Turbowars
11-19-2003, 09:36 PM
I got the Scout case from EE months ago and I just picked up the the Speeder from Target.

Turambar
11-19-2003, 10:02 PM
I passed on the lando & at-st driver the first time around due to lack of money. but the 2nd time they came I was able to afford them. Really great figures they are; most impressive.
ordered the leia endor from target. I was pleased with that as well.

as for the final wave. it will be some time before the shelves clear enough for this one to take hold.

Exhaust Port
11-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Has anyone seen this last wave on any shelf yet?

Turbowars
11-19-2003, 10:12 PM
Has anyone seen this last wave on any shelf yet?Hell no, I'm still POed that the case didn't have 2 Scouts! I have never seen Lando either.

bobafrett
11-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Has anyone seen this last wave on any shelf yet?

Nothing from this wave in my area. I have seen a Lando here and there, but there are far more of the other two from that wave. Luckly I have my Lando (I think).

**Shuffles over to check his inventory**

Jaff
11-20-2003, 08:38 PM
Wave 6
Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
Biker Scout
Ewoks
Yoda (w/ lightsaber)

Target Exclusive: Speeder Bike w/ Princess Leia

I ordered the Ewoks and the Speeker Bike knowing I would never see these on shelves. There was only one problem. About a month ago I saw the Ewok case sitting on Target shelves. I only saw them on shelves once. This case really was dissappointing. The rehashes are getting old!

cdatkins
04-15-2005, 02:52 PM
After doing some driving around I was able to find the tie pilot, 3po, and ackbar at various kbs & trus, never any signs of chewie, though. I ended up getting one off ebay when I had saved up enough $$.

As for the exclusives. . . ha! Never saw one. There was one amazing time when greedo's were selling for about $70 on ebay and I was driving home for christmas and stopped at a JCP on the way. Didn't see any greedo's, but it was a 2 story store, so I went down stairs. . . and hit the jackpot! there was about 30 greedos piled up on a display stand. It was great since it was the only exclusive I'd ever found. ended up getting the rest off ebay.
I don't count the cantina band among these rare items since they are still sitting on the shelves at walmart. I did get the set for 1/2 price from someone, though. At the time I never guessed it would be the last of the CS boxes.

It's stories like these that make collecting worth it.

I remember one day, the last day of finals, I'd had a really bad, draining day. I was driving back home, and just happened to stop at a TRU...and what did they have but a bunch of 12 inch Han and Tauntauns.

Those are the moments I will always remember!