PDA

View Full Version : 'X-3' & 'Wolverine: The Movie' News!! (spoilers)

Pages : [1] 2

Beast
09-28-2003, 11:27 PM
9.27) UPDATED EXCLUSIVE: FOX Wants More Of Hugh!

We've just recieved word, that 20th Century Fox is looking to sign a two-picture deal w/ X2 actor, Hugh Jackman. Although few of X2's actors are already signed to return, Hugh is the only original cast member, that is being offered a new deal, for two films. Though the exact price is unknown, we hear that the full price could equal to around $20 million. The two-picture deal would include X3, and a possible WOLVERINE spin-off film. Or, should Wolverine not appear in X3, then it would go towards two WOLVERINE films...or vice versa!

FOX is already in the planning stages of the possible spin-off, and are looking to grab Hugh and Kelly Hu, and possibly, Tyler Mane for the project. The film may also prove to be an alternative to X4. The one thing the studio is having problems with, is finding a way to keep the entire principle cast together, but when you have a cast of 13+ actors, things can get complicated.

Should X3 not move forward as quickly as they hope, then WOLVERINE will take it's place, says sources. A representative at FOX says: "X3, right now is quiet. No meetings have taken place, regarding the third film, but may begin in 2004. A Wolverine film, is also on our to-do list, but is in the same boat, as X3."

Stay tuned to X3M, as we will try to update on this story, should more information become available! Updated: Just a few tiny edits.

http://www.x3movie.net/news
Dear god. I'm happy that there starting to get things in gear for X-3. Especially with how X-2 ended. They better include Beast and Angel in X-3 though, especially with Jean seeming deceased now would be a good time to call in a new mutant doctor to take the reigns around the school. And Warren's gotta be in there also. Just to be fair to the old school fans. And it better be Furry Ape-Like Beast and Classic Feather Winged Angel. :mad:

But to get back to my rant, a Wolverine-centric movie? Dear god why must we suffer such things. The character is already way too popular, overhyped, and I dislike the character on so many levels. He's turned everything he appears in, be it the movies or the cartoons, hell even the toys based on both into 'Wolverine and his X-Friends'. I really wish the spotlight would shift to encompass all the character equally, instead of the Adamantium Canuck. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-28-2003, 11:33 PM
Jar Jar my good gungan friend, the basis that he is the most popular of the X-Men crew should've given you some warning to conceive that there would be a Wolverine movie, it was only a matter of time, my friend. I would be curious to see who could direct such a feature, cos i don't think Singer would do it, as he'd be busy with other projects. I just hope for X3, wolverine stays with the group. Maybe have him branch off after X3. :D

As for the Beast debate, patience, dude, patience, hasn't Singer said he wants Beast?!? He'll get him....eventually! :p I'd LOVE to see Archangel. My lord, that would be awesome! Cheers!! :D

Beast
09-28-2003, 11:39 PM
I know, but I hate how popular the 70's throwaway adamantium canuck has become. He dominates anything. It's just too much, seriously. Especially the way he has to be included in every wave of X-Men figures. Cripes, skip him every other wave. That's why it's called, 'The X-Men'. :)

And yes, I know that Singer has said since X1 that he keeps trying to get Beast in there, and that everytime there is make-up or special effects issues that prevent his inclusion. Just glad that they gave him atleast a cameo in X2. Though I want more, especially since the novel had his blue furry form manifest due to Xavier's Dark Cerebro. :)

And as for Warren, he was also supposed to be in X2. But they were going to give him his terrible metal wings, instead of his much cooler feathered ones. There are even pictures of his metal wings on the walls of the Weapon X base when Wolvie and DeathStrike are fighting. So he was planned to be a metal winged Weapon X project. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-29-2003, 12:18 AM
Hugh Jackman rocks, I'd love to see him get his own set of Wolverine films. :)

scruffziller
09-29-2003, 09:54 AM
He just better get that suit of his on with the mask!!

Anakin2121
09-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Hugh Jackman rocks, I'd love to see him get his own set of Wolverine films. :)

Agreed. :)

El Chuxter
09-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Wow. That sounds really, really, really cool. I think I'll need to gratuitously punch someone and wail on guitar now. :p

Hopefully a certain spunky mutant teenager with questionable fashion sense will show up in the solo Wolvie movie. I think y'all know who I mean. :happy:

Exhaust Port
09-29-2003, 02:04 PM
From the basic knowledge I have of the X-Men I've always been interested in the tons of characters they have to select from. I'm not so much against a Wolverine movie, as it worked for Superman, Batman, Captain America, DareDevil. (some of those are in jest ;) ) I'm more worried that with the last few X-movies we could loss out on seeing the other interesting aspects of the X-Men universe by being subjected to a Wolverine driven series (which already basically is).

It's interesting in JJB's quote that they make note of the difficulty in maintaining a 13+ actor film series. It seems they didn't learn anything from the Star Wars Prequals, Harry Potter or even better, LOTR. If they are commited to producing a 3-5 movie series then decide on that early on and get the actors on board then and shoot the whole thing in one long run. The current pace could be what keeps Halley Barry away.

Beast
11-25-2003, 12:06 PM
Some more news from TV Guide, who spoke to Singer:

TVGO: What's your favorite line in the film?
Singer: I love when Ian McKellen says to Patrick Stewart, "You should have killed me when you had the chance." Because if [he] had just done that, none of the problems in X-Men 1, X2 or maybe even X3 would've happened.

TVGO: So give me a little something more about X-Men 3.
Singer: I just did. You're not hearing it. "You should have killed me when I had the chance."

TVGO: Magneto comes back again?
Singer: (Coyly) I don't know about that....

TVGO: Are there certain characters you just couldn't make the movie without?
Singer: Yes. Not all the characters, but there are a few that I wouldn't want to make it without.

TVGO: Hugh Jackman, obviously?
Singer: Yeah.
And from Donner:

After "Constantine," Shuler-Donner plans a short break from comics to do the drama "The Secret Life of Bees" and then is back for "X3." For the third installment, she wants to include a loquacious, blue-furred scientist called the Beast and a sequence in the "X-Men's" training center, the Danger Room.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

gsr-jedi
11-25-2003, 10:24 PM
so it sounds like X3 is still a ways off? Probably mid-to-late 2k5 or early 2k6 release? Sweet, a furry Beast. I wonder if Gambit will make an appearance? A solo Wolvie movie, possibly. Could be good, but I'm not a huge Wolvie fan.

Oh, JJB, I love your signature.

Beast
11-25-2003, 10:49 PM
Yep, X3 is planned for 2006. Long ways off, but then there is plenty of Marvel Movies between now and then to keep us busy. Beast and Angel definatly need to be included, being original team members from 616. Gambit probably will get included also. Since he was cut from X2, same as Beast (furry), and Angel. :)

And thanks, I love that quote. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
11-27-2003, 09:31 AM
As long as Gambit, furry Beast, and Angel are in I will be happy. Ohand Collossus needs a much bigger part.

Hellboy
11-27-2003, 11:31 AM
I think I'm with JJB on the idea of a Wolverine movie. While not totally opposed to the idea I don't want it to take away from X3 getting produced. I love the character but I'm more interested in seeing the whole team rather than just one character in the spotlight.

I'm a huge Colossus fan so I'm hoping he will appear more in the next sequel as well as the Beast (furry of course). I know it will probably never happen, mainly because of Hugh's size in comparison to the size of Wolvie in the comic, but how cool would it be to see a "fastball special" in the film. If Angel appeared in X3 I'd be highly disappointed if he had his metal wings in place of the original feathered ones. Especially if they made him out to be a Weapon X project instead of telling the story of how he really got them from Apocolypse.

kool-aid killer
11-29-2003, 05:21 PM
Going with what EP posted, i would think that it wouldnt be too hard to replace certain mutants with others. I feel X-men movies would be the most likely Marvel movies to succeed given that there are many different mutants that could be used. As for Halle Berry, my opinion is that since she won an Oscar she doesnt want to be in a supporting role any longer. Hence her lack wanting to be in further X films.

tagmac
11-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Definitely gotta get more of Collossus in X-3 to go with Beast and Gambit. The scene in the mansion in X2 just wasn't long enough.

Beast
12-17-2003, 04:48 AM
Some more news from Sci-Fi Wire on X-3. It does appear that they are going to go the way of the 'Dark Phoenix' story. And that McKellen is eager to appear. The worst news out of these two reports, is the fact that they're considering giving that Drama Queen that doesn't understand an ensemble picture, a movie of her own. Just so they can sign her for X-3. The drama queen and the movie, Halle Berry and Storm: The Movie. :rolleyes: :cry:

McKellen Eager For X-Men 3

Ian McKellen told SCI FI Wire that he's planning to reprise the role of Magneto in a proposed third X-Men movie—mainly because he just saw the second film, X2, on DVD and liked it more than he expected. "I'm going to talk about it tonight to [director] Bryan Singer," McKellen said before the Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King premiere in Los Angeles on Dec. 3. "I've only just seen [X2] on DVD, because I was fearful that I wasn't going to enjoy it as much as the first, and I enjoyed it more."

McKellen added, "I e-mailed [Singer] and said, 'Are you making number three, and am I going to be in it?' And I sent the same thing off to the writers [Michael Dougherty, Dan Harris and David Hayter]. And positive replies came back. So I've made sure Bryan's got a ticket for tonight, and Michael Dougherty's got a ticket for tonight. So I'm doing my best. Here I am in Hollywood, I'm working the system."

McKellen will be on view as Gandalf in The Return of the King, the upcoming third Rings film, which opens Dec. 17.

Donner Reveals X-Men Plans

X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner told SCI FI Wire that she's juggling several related projects, including the upcoming third X-Men movie and possible spinoffs centered on Hugh Jackman's Wolverine character and Halle Berry's Storm. She also confirmed spoiler speculation that the third film will deal in part with Famke Janssen's Jean Grey and her apparent transformation into Dark Phoenix, which was foreshadowed at the end of the previous film, X2.

"Will Famke [return]? Yes," Donner said in an interview on the Los Angeles set of her next film, Constantine. "And you know we have to [do the Dark Phoenix storyline]. We kind of left that out there. So we have to follow that thread, along with some other stories. Yeah."

X2 writing partners Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty are drafting a script for X-Men 3, and Donner said that producers are trying to nail down deals with cast members and director Bryan Singer. "We're also going to develop a Wolverine movie at the same time, but it won't come out until after X3," she said.

Oscar winner Berry has expressed reservations about returning to the franchise unless her Storm character has a lot more to do. "We have to just make sure that she's used well," Donner said. "We have a great, great, great storyline for her. Or maybe we'll do a Storm movie. Who knows? I don't know."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
12-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Halle Berry should consider herself lucky to be part of a quality franchise as well recieved as X-Men but instead all she can think about is being in the spotlight. I say cut her egotistical *** from the project altogether and bring in another X-Man. Her acting was the weakest of everyone in the films anyways, remember her accent that was present in the first film but mysteriously dissapeared in the second even though both films take place in a span of a month or so. She also had the worst line in the films as well, "You know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning, same thing as everything else", what the hell is that supposed to mean, lame. As far as the character of Storm not being present I can take or leave her and there are plenty of other worthy characters that could take her place. IMO she is one of the most overrated actors of our time and her oscar speech a few years ago was such a load I almost lost my dinner listening to it. Wake up Halle you're overexposed and this film can go on without you. Go make a sequel to Gothika or Monsters Balls and leave our X-Men films the way they're intended to be, ensemble pieces :p

LTBasker
12-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Magneto definitely needs to be in it again, afterall there was a nice cliffhangar with him, Mystique and Pyro leaving together at the end of X2. I hope they would cover that some more, glad McKellen's at least more than willing to do it. :cool:

Think for X3 they'll make a new Prof. X chair instead of leasing that last one? :p

JediTricks
12-18-2003, 05:37 AM
Ugh! Halle Berry is a terrible "Storm", she plays the part totally meek, like she's a battered woman in mid-flinch throughout most of her scenes; she's a primadonna that offers very little to the part. I am quite sure I could take the names of a dozen seasoned actresses, dump 'em in a hat, pull one of those names out of the hat, and that woman would do a better job at playing the part and treat it more gracefully than Ms Berry. I was so shocked coming out of the theater at how much whining she made about her part in X2, she was in the damn film too MUCH yet she wanted more! Somebody please tell Ms Berry to just step aside and let a more appropriate, more appreciative actress take over the role before it's too late.

mrmiller
12-18-2003, 11:28 AM
After seeing the Martix Revolutions I want Jada Pinket Smith as Storm. She has a much better intensity and stronger screen presence than Berry.

=MATT=

Hellboy
12-19-2003, 06:07 PM
I thought Jada Pinket-Smith did a good job in the Matrix films but IMO she just doesn't match the physical characteristics of Storm. I remember being disappointed when Halle Berry was cast because I really wanted Angela Bassett to get the part but realistically they should just write the character out of future storylines rather than replace her with another actress. In the comics team members come and go all the time so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for her to be absent in future installments.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-20-2003, 02:09 PM
yeah, you're right Hellboy, Angela Bassett would've made one arse kickin' Oroe Monroe in my opinion.

I can't wait for X3- it seems that, in my opinion, each film in the series just gets better and more in depth than it's predecessor. I trust that Singer & Co won't let us down when it comes to the Phoenix saga.

I REALLY REALLy want to see some short of a showdown w/ Iceman and Pyro as well; that would be tops! cheers! :D

Beast
02-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Some intresting news about X3, and the possibility that X3 and X4 could be filmed back to back to present a larger storyline then one movie could. Sounds intresting, and hooray for Beast being finally included. :)

Late last night a scoop rolled in from an anonymous user telling us what the premise for X-MEN 3 was to be. Needless to say, we were skeptical.

The user told us that they had read it all in the next issue of Wizard, a magazine devoted to following the comic book industry. Since the new issue wasn't released to stores yet, we did some checking and managed to verify that a whole slew of new X-MEN movie information will indeed be appearing in the next issue of Wizard, including quotes from director Bryan Singer, producer Lauren Shuler-Donner and X2 scribe Michael Dougherty.

Among the facts dropped in the mag are: the idea by Singer is to shoot X-MEN 3 and X-MEN 4 at the same time; how many primary characters are currently in the X3 treatment (which includes Beast); which actors are likely to reappear in the second sequel; other filmmakers that Singer has been meeting with regarding the latest breakthroughs in filmmaking technology; and spinoff movies using Wolverine and other X-Men characters.

Perhaps the biggest news is the revelation of what the general theme of X-MEN 3 will be about -- or is, at least at this early stage of the game. According to Singer, the idea behind X3 is what would happen if humans and mutants went up against evolution itself.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

THE Slayer
05-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Hey look there IS an x3 thread... :wink:
Up against evolution you say? For some reason that reminded me of the recent comic story line where jean had to snip time or something.. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.
I really hope neither of these X3 or X4 envolve outer space or the Shiar....

Hellboy
05-11-2004, 10:46 PM
In a perfect world I would love to see a story that resembled the "Mutant Massacre" storyline that ran through Uncanny X-Men #'s 210-213 back in the 80's. Seeing the X-Men take on a group of mutant assassins determined to wipe out a band of mutants living in seclusion under the streets of Manhattan (the Morlocks) would make for some intense on-screen action. :cool:

Sentinels would be cool too though but like THE Slayer said no Shi'ar and I'd add no Dark Phoenix Saga either, even though I love that storyline.

JediTricks
05-12-2004, 09:21 PM
PUKE AND BARF!!! Just saw this on IMDB, pretty much ruins my interest in X3...

Berry Returns to 'X-Men' for Bigger Role
Halle Berry only agreed to star in the second X-Men sequel after studio bosses agreed to give her a bigger role in the forthcoming movie. The Oscar-winner was reluctant to reprise her role as Storm in X-Men 3 - but producer Lauren Shuler convinced her by boosting her character's involvement. Schuler says, "I love working with her. We would only write a huge role for her, so she's right in that respect. We would make sure that would happen." Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos and Famke Janssen are also expected to reprise their roles in film, set to begin shooting next year.

THE Slayer
05-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I'll keep some of my faith still.. The first two flicks came out pretty good :wink:
Although I could have done without Hally...

Beast
07-03-2004, 09:58 PM
And Halle "Egomaniac" Berry drops out again. :rolleyes: Good Riddence! :D

Halle storms off

Halle Berry will not be back for a third X-Men movie because her character, Storm, isn't going to be in it enough. The sexy star apparently sees no reason to go back to playing the sidekick when she's just played the superhero star in Batman spin-off Catwoman. 'Halle was ready to do X-Men 3, but only if Storm was given more storyline,' says our source. 'But the studio sees the third movie as a means to wrap up the trilogy, and that means Storm won't be featured more than Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. Halle has now passed on the third movie because she's not into bit-parts. She's an Oscar winner and she wants roles that test her.' Producers are now looking to singer and actress Christina Milian as a possible replacement.'
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
07-05-2004, 10:44 PM
I think the girl from Men in Black would be a good replacement for her.

Turambar
07-06-2004, 09:47 AM
What a joke! She [Halle] wants roles that test her -- like Catwoman! I'm sure she'll have a long career reprising her role in that series. Yeah, right!

She did make for a hot storm, but didn't bring much else to the part.
How did she win an oscar, again? Halle Berry has nowhere near the acting abilities of Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellan, or any of the others.
My hopes for X3 have certainly increased with this news.

Reefer Shark
07-08-2004, 10:19 PM
My hopes for X3 have certainly increased with this news.
Me too. Storm was probably the only thing I didn't like in the X-flicks. I agree, good riddance!

TheDarthVader
07-11-2004, 09:26 PM
YAY! The Berry has been picked out. X3 is gonna be awesome. I am looking forward to this movie and am glad to see the great actor Ian McKellan coming back. Hugh Jackman better return! Or else....... :D

-Durge-
07-11-2004, 11:43 PM
X3 should be great! I hope Iceman turns into Ice!

Beast
08-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Sounds like Joss Whedon may possibly be approached for directing X-3. He's currently doing a bang up job on Astonishing X-Men, and clearly has a lot of respect for the characters from how he writes Beast, Cyclops, Emma Frost, Shadowcat, and Wolverine. I think he'd be a good choice. Here's the news from Superhero Hype, Coming Soon, and even AICN. :)

Whedon Would Love to Direct X-Men 3
Source: ComingSoon.net Wednesday, August 11, 2004

ComingSoon.net has broken the news that "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" creator Joss Whedon is interested in taking on X-Men 3...

ComingSoon.net got a chance to talk to Joss Whedon about the rumors that he may be interested in taking on X-Men 3, now that Bryan Singer is out of the picture. Whedon says that nothing has been offered to him for "X3," but if offered, he would LOVE to do the third film (hint, hint Fox!).

Joss Whedon on X-Men 3, Buffy & Angel
Source: Andrew Weil Wednesday, August 11, 2004

ComingSoon.net got a chance to talk to Joss Whedon about the rumors that he may be interested in taking on X-Men 3, now that Bryan Singer is out of the picture. Whedon says that nothing has been offered to him for "X3," but if offered, he would LOVE to do the third film (hint, hint Fox!). On the comics side, Whedon is writing "Astonishing X-Men" right now for Marvel.

Whedon has been an online fan favorite to replace Singer in the director's chair. Singer is directing Warner Bros.' new Superman adaptation instead. 20th Century Fox and Marvel Studios still have X-Men 3 scheduled for a May 3, 2006 release date.

Also, Whedon tells us that he is interested in doing a "Buffy/Angel" film as well, but he knows that Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz wouldn't want to participate in the feature. He adds that the "Buffy" animated series is still in the planning stages.

Whedon is currently directing Serenity, an adaptation of his Firefly TV series, for Universal Pictures.

Joss Whedon Talks To Hercules About X-MEN 3!!
I am – Hercules!!

I finally got to meet Joss Whedon yesterday. I can’t tell you everything we talked about – yet. But here’s one of the most interesting parts I can relay:
“I have not been offered [“X-Men 3”]," said Whedon. “Would I like to make an X-Men movie? That’d be *****in’. I actually really like those actors and I really like those characters and there’s a lot that could be done with it and it’d be a romp. But I’m not setting my sights on that, I setting my sights on exactly one thing, which is [Whedon’s feature directorial debut, “Serenity.”]

“Serenity” wraps principal photography in about 10 days.

Would the folks at Marvel like to hire Whedon? “Major Tom” sent in this snippet of an IGN Filmforce interview with Marvel Enterprises head Avi Arad from February:
IGNFF: At one point, wasn't Joss Whedon up for (Iron Man)?

ARAD: Joss Whedon never wrote a draft of it. We wished! Believe me, we tried very hard, but he got busy with Firefly.

IGNFF: Are there any hopes to tap him again at some point for another project?

ARAD: Oh yeah! We're going to land him… He's a tough cookie, but we'll get him.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
08-12-2004, 03:19 PM
As long as the exponential increasing of Jubilee's roles in the films continues, I'm in. :cool:

SithDroid
08-14-2004, 08:43 PM
Halle Berry should consider herself lucky to be part of a quality franchise as well recieved as X-Men but instead all she can think about is being in the spotlight. I say cut her egotistical *** from the project altogether and bring in another X-Man. Her acting was the weakest of everyone in the films anyways, remember her accent that was present in the first film but mysteriously dissapeared in the second even though both films take place in a span of a month or so. She also had the worst line in the films as well, "You know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning, same thing as everything else", what the hell is that supposed to mean, lame. As far as the character of Storm not being present I can take or leave her and there are plenty of other worthy characters that could take her place. IMO she is one of the most overrated actors of our time and her oscar speech a few years ago was such a load I almost lost my dinner listening to it. Wake up Halle you're overexposed and this film can go on without you. Go make a sequel to Gothika or Monsters Balls and leave our X-Men films the way they're intended to be, ensemble pieces :p

I couldn't agree with you more. I myself an an actor and have played many supporting roles and I don't feel like I always have to be the star of everything. Acting should be about telling a story. Just because she won an Oscar does not mean that she needs to be the star in every single movie she is in. Perfect example, the dreaded Catwoman that just came out. Ok, I could tell that this was going to be a flop the instant I saw the trailer for it. She certainly picked the wrong movie to try and launch a franchise from. As for her having her own Storm movie, uh what would be the point? The character is not strong enough to have a movie of her own, and personally I never really like Storm all that much in the comics. They can easily get rid of the character for the 3rd X-film for all I care, there are plenty of other X-Men they can use. I for one would like to see Gambit, Angel, and Beast. I would also like to see Iceman "ice" himself up like in the old comics.

As for a Wolverine spinoff, I think it would be a good idea. Hugh Jackman certainly does a good job in the role and there is definitely a fan base for it.

By the way, I just got back from New York and I saw Hugh Jackman's show "The Boy From Oz" and he was awesome in it. Plus I got his autograph after the show.

Rocketboy
03-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Had to go back a few pages to find this thread...
Good news/possible bad news:

3 New Mutants Aboard for X-Men 3?
March 16, 2005
Ain't-It-Cool-News is reporting the rumor that Beast, Gambit and Angel will join the mutant line-up for 20th Century Fox's X-Men 3. While fans will be pleased to hear this, the site adds that Angel might actually be a girl in the movie.
comingsoon.net (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/newreply.php)

tagmac
05-19-2005, 03:36 AM
Just read it on IMDB. Interesting choice.....Grammer definitely has the intellectual voice for the character, but it's tough to imagine him in action sequences. Also mentioned in the article is the inclusion of Juggernaut as one of the evil mutants. Just hope we also get more of Collossus in action in this one.

bigbarada
05-19-2005, 02:35 PM
If true, this is a terrible choice. Beast's power isn't his intellect, it's his superior agility and acrobatic ability. Kelsey Grammer definitely doesn't have either of those. :frus:

megaprime33
05-19-2005, 03:44 PM
I actually think it's a great choice for it. Why? Because of his voice. He has a great voice to play out Beast and quote poets and make others feel stupid. And in movie world, anybody can have super strength and agility.

kool-aid killer
05-19-2005, 05:48 PM
I agree that Kelsey Grammer has the voice to portray the Beast. Physically, im a little skeptical that he can pull it off, but i will reserve judgement until Jar Jar hits us up with how they go about doing the Beast, whether its costume, CGI, or whatever.

Beast
05-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Beast is going to be a suit, with prostetics. The director doesn't like CG, and will be using as little as possible. I have to say I'm not all that thrilled with the casting choice. I'd rather see more unknowns, with more of the budget being directed twords making the film more grand. But we'll have to wait and see. I hope that Kelsey is just going to voice the character. He's short and not built enough to look right, even with being built up. And I'm not sold on the voice yet either. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
05-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Ha Ha. lol This is the lamest bit of casting since Jim Carrey as the friggin Riddler. I bet you $20 that every person who's ever watched the Simpsons or Frasier will not be able to keep a straight face when he's on screen. I'm gonna be watching it thinking of Sideshow Bob in a furry costume the whole time.

plasticfetish
05-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Mmmm, I'd kind of guess this is a little something like how David Hyde Pierce did the voice of Abe Sapien in Hellboy. I really doubt that we'll be seeing 50 year old Kelsey Grammer swinging and jumping around.

The director doesn't like CG, and will be using as little as possible.Says who?

Beast
05-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Says who?
The director himself in a recent interview, said he hates CG in movies. And vowed to do as much live as possible. Including Beast. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-20-2005, 02:26 AM
Hopefully he relapses and hits the nose candy pretty heavy between takes so he can pull off the physicality of the role.

JediTricks
05-20-2005, 03:28 AM
I think it's solid casting, Grammer is a pretty good actor and definitely able to morph his performances far away from his best-known 'Fraiser' character. He's got the voice and he's not a small frail guy, he's famous but he's not A-list famous so he likely won't be the spotlight-hog a certain Storm actress has been so far. Definitely better casting than Chiklis as The Thing IMO.

plasticfetish
05-20-2005, 03:52 AM
Definitely better casting than Chiklis as The Thing IMO.No kidding.

The director himself in a recent interview, said he hates CG in movies. And vowed to do as much live as possible. Including Beast.Ahhh. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out then. Interesting to see how this mutates ;) compared to the others.

Hellboy
05-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Hmmm. Grammer will probably turn out to be fine but I have to agree with JJB that an unknown would've been a better choice.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-25-2005, 09:39 AM
merged the Beast thread with the actual X3 thread. :D

darthvyn
05-26-2005, 04:17 PM
i was just watching "thunderbirds" (quite an enjoyable little film, pretty fun...) and the actress who plays "lady penelope," sophia miles would be PERFECT in the rold of emma frost, aka the white queen. not that i've heard anything to suggest she's in the movie, but if they were to use her character, they'd be very remiss not to cast her. she's also been in "from hell" and "underworld." it just hit me as i was watching this movie, though, because the character is very similar to emma...

http://imdb.com/name/nm0617009/

Beast
05-31-2005, 11:22 PM
Well, holy crap. This is a bit of a suprise. But it's confirmed, since they talked to Avi Arad himself about the project. I'm suprised they didn't try to work around his schedule. Especially after how big a deal it was that Matthew Vaughan had the job. But assuming they want it out in 2006, maybe they couldn't. I doubt it's Whedon, given his schedule and Wonder Woman. Hmmm. Wow!

AICN EXCLUSIVE!! Major News On X-MEN 3! It’s Gonna Be A Bumpy Ride At Fox This Week!!

Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...

Did you hear that sound just now? I think that was the other shoe finally dropping...

In talking to people in and around the X-MEN camp over the last month or so, it became obvious that Matthew Vaughn was really excited about making an X-MEN movie, but that he was also feeling a lot of pressure regarding this particular X-MEN movie’s production schedule. As with any film of this size, there were a lot of people exerting control over the film, and Matthew dug in for a series of important fights. He managed to convince the studio to cast Kelsey Grammer as The Beast, something that he was very proud of, and together with Zak Penn and Simon Kinsberg, he worked on the script that has evidently had the actors all excited about what they’re going to get to do. It looked like Matthew had finally reached a point where he was confident that the film could be made the right way in the time they had to make it, and he sounded ready to go. Now, nine weeks out, we’ve got word that Vaughn is off the film and on his way back to England. As soon as I heard this, I called Marvel Studios to get their reaction, and I ended up talking with Avi Arad, who confirmed that Vaughn has indeed left the film.

”This is not a case of creative differences,” Avi said. “This is a personal decision by Matthew, and I can tell you that he is heartbroken. He loved this material, and he wanted to make this film.” Vaughn has evidently already left to deal with whatever personal issue requires his attention, and Marvel and Fox are expected to make an announcement in the next few days regarding both the casting of Angel (who plays “a major role” in the film, according to Avi) and the new director, who may actually be someone who had circled the film earlier but who wasn’t available at that point.

Hey... didn’t Joss Whedon just finish SERENITY?

Excuse me. Just thinking out loud. Whoever steps in, they’re going to have to hit the ground running. Avi says that they’re still committed to starting work on the film in nine weeks in Vancouver, and they’re still planning to have the film in release on Memorial Day 2006. “We think this is better than either part 1 or 2,” Avi said. “This is the most controversial, classic X-MEN story we may ever tell, and I can’t wait until people hear the big idea that holds this all together.” At the rate these guys are moving, we’re not going to have to wait long at all. More as the story develops...

"Moriarty" out.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-31-2005, 11:32 PM
ah, this is nuts. It sucks, but hoepfully if they get Joss to direct, it could be SUPERB. I think many fanboys, myself included, would salivate at the sound of him directing it.

Beast
06-01-2005, 12:23 AM
ah, this is nuts. It sucks, but hoepfully if they get Joss to direct, it could be SUPERB. I think many fanboys, myself included, would salivate at the sound of him directing it.
They won't get Joss. He's far too busy. He's scripting Astonishing X-Men #13-24 + Astonishing X-Men Annual #1. Plus he's got Wonder Woman on his plate.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Bossk77
06-01-2005, 01:55 AM
What about Del Toro? Would be a different direction but interesting none the less.

JediTricks
06-02-2005, 02:42 AM
I think what made Singer work so well for the first films was that he had a few movies under his belt but wasn't so tied to a specific style. I think this is key because too much of a director's "trademark style" shoehorned into an outside project can turn it into an incoherent mess, such as John Woo with MI2: Mission Unwatchable. At this junction, Marvel has to be incredibly careful who they get to pick up where it was left off because if they choose the wrong guy and they tank another Marvel movie, their cinematic reputation will be severely comprimised. (Other Marvel movies that haven't lived up in the public's mind: Blade 2, Blade 3, Punisher, Hulk, looks like Fantastic Four is going to be another, and Daredevil is right on the bubble)

Hellboy
06-03-2005, 01:21 AM
Well according to AICN the field has been narrowed down to two directors and to be honest I'm not thrilled about either. Why do I get the feeling FOX has a turkey cooking? :dis:

AICN EXCLUSIVE!! Wanna Know Who’s Directing X3 Now?!

Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...

My, oh, my... now it’s getting interesting.

When we broke the word that Matthew Vaughn was leaving X3 as director, we tried our best to pry some hints out of Avi or Lauren Shuler-Donner about who might be stepping in to take over the helm. Both of them played incredibly coy, with Avi telling me that the director was someone whose name came up the first time around, but who was busy at that point. “Now that we are further down the road, obligations have changed,” Avi said, “and suddenly someone is available, which is wonderful for us.” Lauren said, “We’re trading up.” They both sounded pleased, but weren’t about to spill the beans.

Another source close to the production dropped a few more hints. “Fans are going to be... vocal... when they hear who it is,” she said. “It’s one of those names. It’s someone who studios like, who is considered an A-list director, but sort of by default.” No matter what, though, my source wouldn’t give me a name.

I mean, I had a few guesses. I was kidding when I mentioned Joss Whedon yesterday. As our TalkBackers were happy to point out, Joss has said that unless he was writing the film, he wouldn’t be interested in stepping in, and I get that. He’s had a chance to work out his X-MEN jones on the comic page, so it’s not like he’s got to do it, or he’ll never be able to tell the stories. In fact, right now, he’s got control of the X-MEN stories he wants to tell, and budget’s not an issue. Making a movie for Fox would be like a step backwards for him, because you’re playing by someone else’s rules, you’re juggling movie star schedules and desires, and you’re having to satisfy the studio and meet their impossible schedule for a set amount of money. My guesses were Francis Lawrence and Zack Snyder. Snyder was one of the names that was supposedly short-listed the first time around, and Francis Lawrence seemed to have a great relationship with Shuler-Donner on CONSTANTINE. But both guys are developing other films right now, with Lawrence allegedly prepping I AM LEGEND and Snyder working on 300 for Warner. And neither one of them seemed like they’d cause much of a stir among fandom... at least nothing on the magnitude that my source had suggested.

Talking to another source today, I mentioned that I wanted to run two names by them. “Okay. You’ve got that right... it’s down to two names.” I tried out Snyder and Lawrence and got a laugh in response. “Nope. Not even close.” They told me the two names that they heard, and suddenly all the clues made sense. I spent the rest of the day trying to get someone from Marvel to comment, while Harry worked on getting Shuler-Donner to respond. Now, understandably, they’re sort of busy right now, so it didn’t surprise me that no one got back to us.

At least, not until late tonight, when I got the two names confirmed from inside the Pico lot, from a spy I’ll call “Putch Harker,” who tells me that we’ll have an announcement very soon. So either we’ll have X3 directed by John Moore, who did solid, sturdy jobs with both BEHIND ENEMY LINES and FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, or...

... brace yourselves...

... Brett Ratner.

Now go back and read those clues that everyone gave me at the start of the piece. Makes sense, doesn’t it? What just fell apart? RUSH HOUR 3. Ratner’s definitely considered an A-list filmmaker. And he’s certainly one of ”those” names. Right now, I’d bet he’s the guy who’s going to end up in the chair by the start of the week.

Which raises the question... which X-MEN 3 is he going to make? The one that Matthew Vaughn left behind, that famous “six day script,” which is still evidently being revised by Kinberg and Penn as we speak? Or something else? With only nine weeks left to go until the film starts shooting, it would seem like they’re pretty much locked into what they’re going to be doing. It’d be nice to know what the general plot is... which characters are definitely in it, and what they’re doing... wouldn’t it?

Well, stay tuned, because as soon as Marvel confirms their choice of director, we’ll be back with a brand-new spy and your first look at the plot of X3. And Avi Arad wasn’t kidding when he called the film “controversial,” either. Three major characters that absolutely should not die, die. Really dead, too. Not Spock Dead. And one mutant who should not lose her powers, loses her powers permanently. Really loses them, too. Not SUPERMAN II loses them. And the sex scene... when you see who does what to who... oh, boy. The entire X-MEN universe may face some incredible overhauls, and it's going to be fascinating to see what fandom does when faced with this stuff. But all that's for next week. Until then...

"Moriarty" out.

Rocketboy
06-03-2005, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Brett Ratner give it a whirl.
He may not seem like a great choice, but neither did Brian Singer.
Plus, it would be pretty funny since Ratner was once attached to Superman.

Hellboy
06-03-2005, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Brett Ratner give it a whirl.
He may not seem like a great choice, but neither did Brian Singer.

Speaking for myself I was actually thrilled when Singer signed on to do X-Men and unlike Ratner I actually enjoyed one of his films, that being The Usual Suspects. Nothing I've seen from Ratner would lead me to believe that he is a good choice to direct this picture.

JediTricks
06-03-2005, 06:40 PM
John Moore? He's done next to nothing, I haven't seen either of his 2 studio films because they both looked by-the-numbers and lame.

As for Ratner, I loathed "Rush Hour", didn't sit through "Money Talks" or "Rush Hour 2", and the trailers for "Family Man" ensured I wouldn't be seeing that one either. I don't have a lot of feel for the guy, all his films I've seen have had Chris Tucker overdoing it, but Ratner seemed to have a specific style to them which I don't think would come even close to what X-men movies are supposed to be.

And with Moriarty's comments at the end of the article, this film sounds pretty bad off.

Beast
06-03-2005, 06:58 PM
They'll probably kill Xavier, Magneto, and Nightcrawler. Given that Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart are the big cash guys. And this way they can always bring them back as younger characters, if they want. As for Nightcrawler, the studios were pretty vocal about not wanting Kurt and Beast to be similar at all. Hence why Kurt has no velvet fur. But he could still be the one targeted for death.

As for who gets left powerless in the end? I'm gonna go with Jean Grey. Originally the Phoenix saga in the comics ended with Jean losing her powers instead of dying. This was to lead into a long storyarc, and with Magneto popping up for the 200th issue to give Jean back her powers. This of course never happened, cause Marvel head honcho Jim Shooter would not allow Jean to live, after killing Millions. Hence the later retcon that it wasn't really her that was the 'Phoenix', and her real self was in a cocoon in the Bay.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
06-04-2005, 01:05 AM
wow... just... wow. what the hell? i'm scared for this flick now. after the awesomeness that were x-men and x2, this sounds pretty horrid. three dead characters, one powerless and a questinonable sex scene...

i bet they mess everything up with a rogue/wolvie tumble.

Beast
06-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Looks like Brett Ratner has the job...

Brett Ratner to Direct X-Men 3
Source: Variety June 6, 2005

20th Century Fox and Marvel Entertainment set Brett Ratner on Friday night to replace Matthew Vaughn as the director of X-Men 3, reports Variety. Shooting will start in August for a Memorial Day weekend 2006 opening date.

A comic book enthusiast, Ratner was among the helmers considered to direct the first X-Men. The job went to Bryan Singer instead. Ratner then spent a full year developing Superman Returns, the film that ultimately prompted Singer to drop out of directing "X3."

The trade adds that the "X3" budget is locked, and Fox and Marvel brass consider the script by Zak Penn and Simon Kinberg to be at least as strong as that of the first two installments. The original returning stars have been signed, and the cast is bolstered by Kelsey Grammer as Beast, Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut and Lost star Maggie Grace as Kitty Pryde (aka Shadowcat).

Fox's hiring of Ratner also means that Rush Hour 3 will most certainly miss New Line's projected fall start and summer 2006 release dates. Ratner directed the first two films in that series and seemed certain to make the third, but Chris Tucker's unwillingness to sign his $20 million deal in timely fashion scotched those plans.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-06-2005, 03:02 AM
Didn't Ratner direct Red Dragon ?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-06-2005, 03:18 AM
Caesar- Yeah, he also did "Red Dragon" which in itself is a very good flick and true to the novel, minus the added in Hannibal lecter scenes.

But yeah, 3 people die, one mutant loses powers a sex scene? I agree with whoever said it earlier: i'm kinda worried about this one. I can understand losing Magneto, but Xavier and Nightcrawler? How about you kill of Storm? She was near useless in 1 and 2. Thats' my vote: kill Magneto, Storm and Random Mutant from the school. Done. :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
06-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Caesar- Yeah, he also did "Red Dragon" which in itself is a very good flick and true to the novel, minus the added in Hannibal lecter scenes.

. . . and the weak, happy ending added for the film.

2-1B
06-06-2005, 01:55 PM
I was hoping for a Rogue-Wolverine sex scene back in 2000 when the first movie came out.

evenflow
06-06-2005, 04:01 PM
You know I really have not been following this story, but this talk about dead characters and losing powers seems ridiculous. At this point i have no expectations for this film. I just don't understand why they cannot make a movie comic accurate, or at least pretty close. X2 was an incredible movie, and sadly i dont think this will come close. From the sound of it so far, Man-Thing sounds better.

megaprime33
06-06-2005, 04:44 PM
You know I really have not been following this story, but this talk about dead characters and losing powers seems ridiculous. At this point i have no expectations for this film. I just don't understand why they cannot make a movie comic accurate, or at least pretty close. X2 was an incredible movie, and sadly i dont think this will come close. From the sound of it so far, Man-Thing sounds better.
The only thing I heard about this film was the casting of beast, juggernaut and pryde, and i heard that ratner was in contention to direct, but killing people off, mutants losing their powers and a sex scene?? I agree and say that I have no expectations and hope it turns out great.

Rocketboy
06-06-2005, 06:35 PM
I'll hold final judgements until I actually see it.
I'm not too worried about the 3 characters and one losing his/her powers - it could make for an interesting story.
As for the sex scene...even super powered people like to get it on.

Bossk77
06-06-2005, 11:07 PM
I'll hold final judgements until I actually see it.
I'm not too worried about the 3 characters and one losing his/her powers - it could make for an interesting story.
As for the sex scene...even super powered people like to get it on.

I think i have it all figured out about the losing powers thing. Has anyone read the origin of Rogue? If Ms. Marvel makes an apperance... and gives Rogue her powers as in the Comics. Marvel would LOSE HER POWERS PERMANENTLY, and rogue would gain them permanently, flight ect.
Being we dont know the true plot yet, it is not farfetched that they kill a few lesser mutants or maybe some bigger names. you cant judge unill we know for sure where they are taking this.

Think about it.....

Beast
06-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Well, AICN.Com has a script review up now. And good god it's painful. This is an early draft though, so hopefully things will change. Warning, there is a great deal of spoilers present at the link. So read at your own risk.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20443

My Spoiler Filled Reaction: (Highlight to Read)

This is the early script that has been circulating, from everything I've heard. But that said, good lord it's painful. If that person driving Xavier and Magneto around is supposed to be Beast, it contradicts his X-2 human-like appearance. I do like Beast as the Secretary of Mutant Affairs though. Angel's first scene is horribly cheesy, but the second scene sounds better. The mutant cure is an awful direction to take the story in. And Mystique losing her powers, and Scott and presumedly Xavier biting it are crappy ideas. So this is how they secured Halle Berry? By killing Scott so she could becoming official team leader in the films? Not to mention giving her a sex scene with Wolverine? ! Blah, just blah.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
06-13-2005, 03:56 PM
I dont like the whole killing characters off unless it is comic accurate. This does not sound appealing.

General_Grievous
06-14-2005, 02:25 PM
SPOILERS (???)

I'm not that impressed with the story, but I'm not upset at all about them killing off Cyclops, since he was just a total d*****bag in the first two movies.

Beast
06-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Well, we have our first not returning character. According to Alan Cumming's website, Fox has not picked up his option to return for X-3. So it seems those early rumors about not wanting both Beast and Nightcrawler in the film at the same time is true.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
06-19-2005, 04:59 PM
That sucks!! My favorite X-Man, GONE. :cry: Who cares if they're both blue, what a stupid arguement. At the very least they better explain why he isn't present during the events in this film. Maybe they'll bring Kurt back for X-4. That is if this film doesn't bury the franchise first.

Rocketboy
06-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Never saw the appeal of Nightcrawler, so I'm not too disappointed, but I don't see the big deal with having 2 blue characters.
I just wonder how they'll explain it (if they even do).

evenflow
06-19-2005, 07:17 PM
I dont get the logic of not wanting 2 blue characters. This movie just sounds worse and worse.

darthvyn
06-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Well, we have our first not returning character. According to Alan Cumming's website, Fox has not picked up his option to return for X-3. So it seems those early rumors about not wanting both Beast and Nightcrawler in the film at the same time is true.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

WORST... DECISION... EVER...

nightcrawler was one of the reasons why X2 was so much better than the first. bad move, bad move...

2-1B
06-20-2005, 12:36 AM
I loved Cumming's Nightcrawler almost as much as I loved Jackman's Wolverine . . . but in an odd way I don't mind his not being involved in another movie, at least they can't run him into the ground or anything. :D

Thank God if Scott Summers is gonna be gone, I hated that guy. Not in the good way, either. :mad:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-03-2005, 09:11 PM
The teaser trailer hits apple.com on Monday. Here is a description of it as Hugh Jackman showed it to some fans, press, etc. This might have SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS FOR SOME NON-SPOILER FOLKS. Reader beware.

The trailer is a montage of scenes from the film. It starts out with a voice over by Patrick Stewart. As he talks about the war of mutants (as well as angels and demons), we see a bunch of very, very brief scenes. Here's what I remember (not necessarily in order):

- The X-Men walking down the hall in the basement of the X-Mansion. We see Wolverine, Storm, Kitty Pryde, Colossus, and others.
- An exterior shot of the X-Mansion
- Storm walking out of the Mansion doors and looking at a cloudy sky.
- Quick shot of Professor X in a wheelchair.
- A shot of Beast and the other X-Men at what appears to be a funeral.
- A shot of Angel, shirtless and in a lab, quickly unfolding his wings in from of some scientists.
- A quick shot of the President and his advisors.
- Juggernaut in a containment cell.
- A shot of Magneto in the woods flanked by Pyro, Juggernaut, and an Asian mutant among others. Magneto delivers a line and dozens of mutants raise their fists in the air.
- Cyclops screaming at the sky.
- Wolverine meeting Cyclops at Alkali Lake and his glasses flying off and into Wolverine's hand.
- Jean Grey waking up on an infirmary table.
- An X-Student walking through the halls of the Mansion flying paper airplanes with his powers.
- Storm flying through the air, then spinning and knocking people over.
- Storm flying and knocking Wolverine out of the way of debris falling down (in a Danger Room training sequence).
- A shot of Magneto causing a car to fly up into the cab of a truck.
- A shot of Magneto and other mutants walking along the Golden Gate Bridge. The Bridge then starts ripping and bending apart.
- A shot of Jean Grey casually walking towards a door in the infirmary and it violently blowing apart.
- A scene of Wolverine jumping out of a tree and tearing someone apart with his claws.
- A shot of Mystique jumping onto a desk in front of somebody, and her hands are chained together.
- Wolverine falling down in a corner in between two walls and as he's falling he's got his claws sticking out slowing his fall and there are sparks flying from his claws.

The trailer then concludes with the X and Wolverine's claws as seen on the poster. The reaction to it was overwhelmingly positive among us and we applauded it (which was again surreal with Hugh Jackman there seeing it for the first time with the rest of us).

This teaser gives us our first look at Beast in full makeup. The best way to describe it is to say that Kelsey Grammer looks like the Marvel Legends Beast action figure, at least from the neck up. You'll have to freeze frame the trailer in order to get a good look at him (or any of the mentioned scenes, for that matter). However, the scene with Angel is what stood out to most of us who watched it together. Seeing him unfold his wings was an impressive sight.

Say that you will, i think it sounds pretty excellent. I just hope it comes out in WMP cos i don't want to install Quicktime 9 to see it cos I don't want that iTunes extra with it. blah!! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
12-04-2005, 02:09 AM
No shots of Jubilee saving the entire team? What a rip. :mad:

Seriously, however, if her role keeps growing at the rate it did from X-Men to X2, I expect this to happen in X4.

I thought Apocalypse was supposed to be the baddie this time around?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-05-2005, 12:33 AM
Kids, we have pics:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/gallery/2005/x3/flash.htm

Beast, Brett Ratner, Two of Angel, Wolverine and Storm.

I'm likin' Beast and Angel. They look terrific!

El Chuxter
12-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Wait, wait, wait. "While a fourth X-Men is unlikely..."??? WTF? Is that pure conjecture or based on actual info? There's been so much setup for a long-running series here; I can't imagine compressing the Phoenix resurrection into one film that also involves evil mutant shenanigans. Not to mention the potential for great future stories involving Gambit, Sentinels, Apocalypse, Bishop, Cable, etc. (Yes, I do think Cable could actually be used in a great story, which would be the first time. I mean, the basic concept has a lot of potential.)

Of course, USA Today isn't exactly the most reputable rag in the country. And they describe Beast as a "strongman," a word which no one who knows even the slightest about the character would use.

I assumed they'd use CG for Beast, but the photo here looks excellent. I wonder if they'll address the fact that Hank makes a cameo in X2 and looks nothing like Kelsey Grammer, or if they'll just hope no one remembers.

Rocketboy
12-05-2005, 01:19 AM
After seeing Beast there, I have my first real doubts about X-Men 3.
That is not Beast - it's a blue Sabertooth.

darthvyn
12-05-2005, 08:31 AM
he doesn't look great, but he could've looked a LOT worse... and, yeah, chux - i don't think you need to worry about those solicitations on the USAToday thing - they don't sound all that credible. just filler text or something. as long as the next one doesn't totally tank, they'll keep making them. maybe they meant that a fourth movie wasn't likely for jackman?

Rocketboy
12-05-2005, 11:18 AM
Comingsoon is reporting that the title may be one of the following:
X-Men 3: The Last Stand
X3: A Last Stand
X3: Last Stand
X3: The Last Stand

darthvyn
12-05-2005, 12:44 PM
are they trying for a self-fulfilling prophecy or something?

X3: the phantom mutant
X3: the mutants strike back
X3: attack of the mutants
X3: charlotte's web
X3: a new mutant
X3: electric boogalooey

James Boba Fettfield
12-05-2005, 08:33 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/x3/

El Chuxter
12-05-2005, 11:42 PM
And now, the scrutinization begins:

Excellent trailer overall. I've gone through it a couple of times trying to identify some of the background characters, but it's tough when most of them look normal and aren't shown using powers.

One girl in the front of the classroom looks like the greatest X-(Wo)man of them all, but if so, I think she's played by a different actress.

In the scene with Magneto addressing the crowd in the forest, the woman on the far right could possibly be the Scarlett Witch.

My guess based on the huge amount of destruction seen in some scenes and the definite apocalyptic battle with Magneto is that this will parallel in many ways the final story arc from Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men. That was a doozy of a story, and should work pretty well here.

Whose funeral? Professor X doesn't appear to be in attendance. :(

Rocketboy
12-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Stupid computer - I can't watch it...but...

SPOILER/POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THE REST OF THE POST!
(so if you don't want a real answer to your question Chux, then don't read it)

X3movie.com has some new character images (all headshots), including what I believe is our first look at:
Juggernaut - non-helmeted, but is that grey armor?
Callisto - I didn't even know she was suppossed to be in it.
Kitty Pryde - the new actress.
A red-haired Jean Grey - even though it is her, it doesn't look too much like Famke to me.
Also, new shots of Beast, Angel and the rest of the returning cast.

Ummm...where is Colossus?

Whose funeral? Professor X doesn't appear to be in attendance. From early online reports I read it may actually be a double funeral for Scott and Xavier.

darthvyn
12-06-2005, 09:25 AM
X3movie.com has some new character images

i would've liked to have seen them, but they use WAY too much flash, i just closed the browser window. i HATE flash. takes too long to load. i was sitting there twiddling my thumbs and when it finally hit 20% of "loading visual optics" (lame, lame, lame...) i had enough.

anyway, the trailer actually looks really good! but no nightcrawler, huh? i guess we have our quota of blue-skinned characters again. can't wait to see magneto wrecking the place...

Rocketboy
12-06-2005, 12:10 PM
but no nightcrawler, huh? i guess we have our quota of blue-skinned characters again.From what I've heard, that's exactly the reason.

JediTricks
12-06-2005, 09:43 PM
After seeing Beast there, I have my first real doubts about X-Men 3.
That is not Beast - it's a blue Sabertooth.I was thinking it looked a lot like Hugh Jackman's Wolverine... in blue.

El Chuxter
12-06-2005, 11:26 PM
You're all talking as if Beast doesn't look like a blue Wolverine or blue Sabretooth. Maybe not "Kitty-Cat Beast" from the Morrison run, or "Disproportional Man" from the Lee/Kirby days, but the Beast we all know is, well, a blue Wolverine without claws or a shorter blue Sabretooth. Accept it.

JediTricks
12-06-2005, 11:33 PM
You're all talking as if Beast doesn't look like a blue Wolverine or blue Sabretooth. Maybe not "Kitty-Cat Beast" from the Morrison run, or "Disproportional Man" from the Lee/Kirby days, but the Beast we all know is, well, a blue Wolverine without claws or a shorter blue Sabretooth. Accept it.
Prove it, or get out! ;)

El Chuxter
12-06-2005, 11:58 PM
When I first started reading comics, I actually thought for an issue or two that Beast was the result of an error by the colorist. Then he and Wolvie appeared in the same panel. I think it's the pointy hair they both have, or, um, used to have.

Rocketboy
12-07-2005, 11:40 AM
2 new character ppics have been found. They were somehow hidden on the official site.
Number one (http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/8836/0124rd.jpg)
Number two (http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/7087/0116ht.jpg)

General_Grievous
12-07-2005, 05:16 PM
I think I'm going to wait to see the trailer because I'm way too lazy to download Quicktime. Will it be attached to either "Chronicles of Narnia" or "King Kong"?

JediTricks
12-07-2005, 06:01 PM
I have to admit, downloading QT7 was not pleasant when all I wanted to do was watch the video. First, I had to stop the first download when I realized it was trying to thrust iTunes on me as well, I don't want that crap, then I had to track down the QT7 standalone (20 meg!), and then I had to install which wasn't too bad although it wanted desparately to create a program that booted when my XP booted which is bullcrap, I barely use QT and not enough to need a preloader program that slows down my bootup times and uses my system resources for no reason whatsoever. The video did look good though once I got all that crap done (the only inconvenience was that it closed my Firefox browser windows that I had forgot to close myself and I lost a small forums post I was working on).

Hellboy
12-07-2005, 06:59 PM
I tried downloading QT7 as well but it turned into such a pain in the arse that I finally gave up. :tired: I guess I'll just wait to see it on the big screen.

Based on the pictures on the official site I like what I see. Beast and especially Colossus look pretty damn sweet if you ask me.

darthvyn
12-08-2005, 03:43 PM
i can't understand why everyone hates iTunes. :confused:

that promo shot of colossus looks pretty cool. i'll wait on my feelings about beast until i can see him a little better, and maybe a full-body shot.

JediTricks
12-08-2005, 07:25 PM
i can't understand why everyone hates iTunes. :confused: It's adding 12 meg to my download and it's a feature I just don't need or want. I don't hate iTunes on principle, I just dislike that they try to foist it on me by pretending that their bundle is the only way to get the quicktime plugin.

UKWildcat
12-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Itunes isn't bad. Especially if you have an Ipod... I don't mind waiting the extra 60 sec. to download it along with Quicktime. :D

I did have to download the new version, of course, which included Quicktime 7 and the correct codec to play the new teaser/trailer and it played perfectly. I had no trouble with it at all. The new version of Itunes deleted the old version and Quicktime for me and installed the new one (out with the old and in with the new).

I can't wait for X3 to be released. It is one of, if not, the most anticticipated movies I want to see this upcoming year. It looks amazing and should be amazing!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Here is a link that somebody posted on SHH! to a standalone download of QT 7.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

I installed it and so did my bro and it's excellent. Hope this lets you non-iTunes folks help.......as i'm anti-itunes too and it's worked out fine. :crazed:

Rocketboy
01-06-2006, 11:16 PM
MSN.com (http://movies.msn.com/movies/2006preview?gt1=7538) had a list of the their top 10 movies to look forward to in 2006.
X-Men 3 was at #4, and contained a brief plot synopsis that I haven't read yet, so be warned...SPOILERS AHEAD:

The Story: The X-Men and Magneto's Brotherhood unite to stop a rich mutant from distributing a serum that causes mutants to lose their powers and become human.

JediTricks
01-08-2006, 02:05 AM
From what I've read, that is a *very* rudamentary plot descrip.

Rocketboy
01-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Also, since nobody has mentioned it, Psylocke (http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=3730) has been added to the cast of characters.

Also, some photos of the Sideshow maquettes of Juggernaut (http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=ImageBank&file=index&id=70529) (giving a good look at his armor) and Beast (http://www.action-figure.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=ImageBank&file=index&id=70523) (in the nude*!) have been released.

*it's a reproduction of the original maquette created during pre-production work on the film.

General_Grievous
01-10-2006, 05:04 PM
:D

Why would anyone want a naked Beast statue?

Anyway, I just caught the trailer and I like it. I seriously doubt if it will be better than X2, though.

Val Da Car
03-06-2006, 09:39 PM
My wife:

"I guess I know what we are doing Memorial Day Weekend"

Kidhuman
03-06-2006, 09:45 PM
No link for it?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-06-2006, 09:46 PM
HOly God, that trailer was SOOOOOOOOOO AMAZINGLY good. I loved it. Every second of it. From the fight scenes to the images of the Phoenix. I cannot wait for this flick. :love:

Val Da Car
03-06-2006, 09:53 PM
My wife said:

" I know what we are doing Memorial Day"

James Boba Fettfield
03-06-2006, 10:48 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/tls/trailer/

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-06-2006, 11:06 PM
any idea how to save it? BFF and i figurd it out moons ago for a LOTD trailer, i htink, but i don't remember how.

James Boba Fettfield
03-06-2006, 11:22 PM
http://movies.apple.com/movies/fox/xmenthelaststand/xmenthelaststand_h640w.mov

Does that work? Took me a bit of messing around with Notepad.

UKWildcat
03-06-2006, 11:27 PM
That trailer was freakin' awesome!!! I can't wait!!!

Beast
03-06-2006, 11:43 PM
I've been very very critical about some of the news coming out about the film as of late. Even rather annoyed at the casting of Kelsey Grammer as Beast. The first teaser trailer even made me less pleased with the film. But this one nailed it on so many levels. Beast doesn't even sound like Fraiser, thanks to the dentures, so that actor choice no longer bugs me. Especially seeing that Hank is fairly agile looking in the fight scene. I still don't like how ripped off from 'Astonishing X-Men's' storyline the film is. But seeing Beast tempted with being human again when his hand shifts back to human as he reaches out to Leech is awesome. :)

El Chuxter
03-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Jamie Madrox!!!!! Woooo!!!!!

Seriously, I think Multiple Man is the shizzy.

I didn't see any shots of Jubilee saving the day. I guess they're keeping that plot twist under wraps for now. :p

James Boba Fettfield
03-07-2006, 12:00 AM
I didn't see any shots of Jubilee saving the day. I guess they're keeping that plot twist under wraps for now. :p

I like your rain coat, b****. You can't run, you can't run, I'm the Juggernaut.

El Chuxter
03-07-2006, 12:03 AM
I did see Black Tom Cassidy in the preview, beating Shadowcat with his pimp cane.

Beast
03-07-2006, 12:14 AM
I did see Black Tom Cassidy in the preview, beating Shadowcat with his pimp cane.
It's a Shillelagh, darn it. :)

2-1B
03-07-2006, 04:01 AM
a Pimp Shillelagh, then. :)

Beast
03-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Looks like the Wolverine spin-off may be a prequel after all. :)

Jackman Talks More About Wolverine
Source: Entertainment Weekly March 18, 2006

Entertainment Weekly chatted with Hugh Jackman at ShoWest and he talked more about his Wolverine spinoff film:

Fresh from the set of The Prestige, the magician movie he's making with Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan, Hugh Jackman popped by to accept the Male Star of the Year award — and to answer a few prying questions from EW about his spin-off movie, whose second screenplay draft, by David Benioff (Troy), is due momentarily. 'Wolverine substantiates a feature film,'' Jackman said. ''I mean, he's a really intriguing, mysterious, enigmatic character, à la Mad Max, Dirty Harry, Han Solo — he's that kind of screen antihero.'' So what's the movie about? ''I'd love to get into the origins of that character and find out what he's really made of. So that was always my idea.... Benioff came in with a pitch that was so brilliant, I was so excited, I actually tried to get Fox to make it [before X-Men 3]. But they said, 'No, no, no, we have a trilogy, let's finish that.''' Ah, so that means that Wolverine will survive X-Men 3 this summer, right? ''Well, you never know. Wolverine might be a prequel. Wolverine might be a prequel.'' Yeah, we heard him — nudge nudge — the first time.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=3998

Beast
03-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Some shakey footage from X-3 has turned up on the net. :)

http://www.worldofkj.com/Videos/xmen2.php

Beast
03-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Wolverine may not end up being a prequel after all...

Ratner To Direct 'Wolverine' Film?

Hollywood film-maker Brett Ratner is reportedly close to signing a deal to direct the X-Men spin-off Wolverine, after impressing producers with his work on upcoming second sequel X-Men: The Last Stand. The Rush Hour director is keen for Hugh Jackman to reprise his brooding superhero for the project, and Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels actor Vinnie Jones is also in contention to repeat his forthcoming Juggernaut role. Jones tells MTV, "(Brett) was saying that they'll probably use a lot of the characters. Hopefully (the Wolverine/Juggernaut rivalry) will come up.
http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2006-03-20/

Sith Lord 0498
03-21-2006, 07:15 AM
It may be not be a prequel to the X-Men series but it doesn't have to be a sequel to X3 either. Perhaps this story is wedged in between the films (X1 and X2 or even X2 and X3). Juggernaut's involvement may come in the form of Wolverine encountering him for the first time.

However, only time will tell what is going to happen with this. I personally have little interest in a Wolverine movie. I do think Hugh Jackman is good actor, but I think having a stand-alone Wolverine movie is overkill. Let's face it...he was the front and center character in both X-Men movies to date. Why do we need to further draw him out into the limelight. That's been my only major criticism of the series to date...they've neglected other characters for the sake of focusing on the same few.

Rocketboy
03-21-2006, 10:30 AM
So this'll make it 4 Wolverine movies.

2-1B
03-21-2006, 12:43 PM
My only hope is that whether it is a prequel, a sequel, or any other kind of 'quel, that they do it in a way that continuity is ruined ... just like in the comics.

El Chuxter
03-21-2006, 12:59 PM
They could do an adaptation of Weapon X, followed by Wolverine II, which is an adaptation of Assault on Weapon Prime or whatever the New X-Men story was called.

Also, Jubilee should appear in both, but obviously jump back and forth between 11 and 17 years old.

2-1B
03-21-2006, 01:00 PM
That's what I want to hear Chux, with the age discrepancies and all. Keep up the good work, you'll be writing this picture in no time! lol

Hellboy
03-22-2006, 05:35 AM
Looks like Wolverine is going to be a Prequel afterall. This was reported over at SHH:

Rothman Confirms Wolverine is a Prequel
Source: IESB.net, Diamond Comics
March 20, 2006

With Hugh Jackman hinting to Entertainment Weekly that the Wolverine spinoff movie will be a prequel, IESB.net got confirmation from Fox Film Group President Tom Rothman, who said it is indeed.

Also, Hugh Jackman recently alluded that the Wolverine spin off film may be a prequel, how accurate is that? Although he says he will get in trouble if he tells, just between him and her, yes it's a prequel, and that's a scoop!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=4004

Phantom-like Menace
05-20-2006, 09:52 AM
I just watched the character introductions that played last night during the Fox showing of X2. I've been ignoring all of the comments about the wire work so far, but it's entirely possible I can't ignore it anymore. Hercules and Xena had better wire work and it was used for campy comedic effect. Beast didn't jump; he was clearly flying through the air. I think the wire work is going to pull me out of the movie faster than it pulls characters in this movie through physics-defying, nonballistic trajectories.

That said, it'll be nice to see Colossus, though I'm hoping for a Russian accent, and I can't help but notice Iceman is horning in on his girl.

tagmac
05-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Any Wolverine movie they make needs to bring back Sabertooth. It's bad enough they didn't bring him back for X-3 (even Toad got at least a cameo), but he is extremely important to the Wolverine storyline.

Rocketboy
05-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Over on SWC, someone said that Sabertooth was killed in one of the between movie tie-in comics.

Daryl VayDar
05-23-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't know if a comic death would stop them from using ol' Tooth in a new movie...even if it was a tie-in. It sounds like this could be a prequel anyhow, and Sabretooth does play a HUGE role in Wolverine's history. I'd love to see some of the covert ops/military flashbacks from their past time together.

Rocketboy
05-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Well according to the back of the box, Sabertooth is alive in the new X-Men 3 tie-in video game.

Found something interesting about Angel in X-Men 3 also:
SPOILER WARNING

After he failed to make the cut in the first two X-Men films, Angel will finally appear in X-Men: The Last Stand. However, despite what some published images might indicate, he won't be a costumed member of the squad.
Ben Foster, who plays Angel, acknowledged he was photographed in a black X-Men outfit, but that's as far as it went.
"I was never filmed, but I wore it a lot in fittings," Foster said. "We got a photo of it and that's as good as it¹s going to get in this movie.http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0605/23/benfoster.htm

Rocketboy
05-26-2006, 03:36 AM
Went to the midnight showing.
Wow!

SPOILERS BELOW

Mu initial thoughts on the movie while it's still pretty fresh.

The Good:

The no holding back attitude - Rogue, Magento, and Mystique ( :lipsrsealed: ) being cured? Whoa...

Beast - Quite well done, in both character and action. Very little of his fighting looked like wirework to me and I had my doubts about Kelsey Grammer, but he was great.

Iceman - Finally he does more that chill things - he turned into ICEman!

The Juggernaut - that line alone was worth the price of admission. :D

The opening scene with the young Xavier and Magento. Nice work on the effects there.

Fastball Special - times two!

The Bad:

The death of Scott Summers. This is a guy who is supossed to be a leader. In this movie he has a few pathetic minutes of screen time which are wasted on his brooding. He sees Jean come back only to be killed by her seconds later? WTF? Talk about wasting an opportunity to really make something of a character. And after Logan finds Scott's glasses it seems that everyone forgets about Scott - it's like his disappearance was an afterthought to the team.

The Death of Xavier. I understood why it happened and why Jean did it, but it just felt like an excuse to shock the audience by killing him. With Xavier and Scott it almost feels like they realized they had too many characters and needed to get rid of a couple quickly.

Storm - sure, she had an expanded role, but she still didn't have very much to do in the movie. Not much more emphasis was put into developing her character.

Over-promoted characters with too little screen time - Collossus somes to mind right away. I would have loved to see him tangle with Juggernaut, even for a few seconds.

If this truly was the last X-Men movie, then why leave it so open for another with the way they showed Magneto and Xavier at the end?

The Sentinel - Where the F*** was the rest of it???

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-26-2006, 04:37 AM
I won't dive nito it much as i know it won't get read much, but I really loved the flick. I'm not sure how i feel about Angel getting little to no screen time (he isn't really useful until he gets metal wings anyway) and Rogue being cured was alright as she didn't do much during any of the flicks anyway.

and i don't know what to think about Xavier's new body and Magneto's powers slowly returning. Why did they do that if this is the last flick?

Overall, i enjoyed the film a lot and it was a great way to end the series. :love:

Adam
05-26-2006, 05:13 AM
It was a'ight. I really hated everything that had to do with Phoenix. I'm not opposed to change, and I know they couldn't really do the same story from the comics... but it could have been better. The Phoenix plot in X3 is a shadow of what could have been.

Cyclops - Is he really dead? I thought it was kinda ambiguous. Sure there was the grave, but that doesn't mean they found a body. Now we have what happened to Xavier, but that doesn't mean that's what happened to Scott. And besides, this is Marvel we're talking about! They kill off characters and bring them back just for fun.

Everything else plotwise was ok, but kinda simple. Character development jumped all over the place.

At the end of X2 it was kinda indicated the Proffessor X knew that Jean was still alive, but at the beginning of X3 its like he forgot. I really wish the movie had gone down this way: Remove the Phoenix plot entirely, save it for the next movie. Send Cyclops and Nightcrawler back to Alkali lake to investigate what Xavier was feeling at the end of X2 (thus explaining Kurt's absence and getting Scott out of the way without killing him off.) Expand on the cure plot. Bigger roles for Angel and Collossus. I could go on for awhile, but mainly this is what I would have liked to see.

I really wish they would not have rushed this into production so it could be out before Singer's Superman, it really hurt the movie in my opinion. I think Ratner did fine directing, he just wasn't allowed the time get the movie to match its potential.

Tycho
05-26-2006, 05:57 AM
I liked it a lot. I really felt Logan's pain when he had to kill Jean at the end. The Iceman v. Pyro fight we were all waiting for happend. Ian McKellan is so friggin good as Magneto! He's great in everything I've seen him in. Storm was really good - Halle Berry did an awesome job and she DID have a large part.

The overall movie was the darkest I've ever recalled an X-men film (or Marvel film being - with probably the exception of Blade films (if they are Marvel, I forget).

The cast is aging though and it's showing.

YOU MUST STAY UNTIL AFTER THE CREDITS ARE OVER! There is an extra scene that might be very important.

That's it. I just got home from the film and need to brood on the movie. I may see this one again. Dunno.

James Boba Fettfield
05-26-2006, 09:08 AM
and i don't know what to think about Xavier's new body and Magneto's powers slowly returning. Why did they do that if this is the last flick?

You think they'll let this series go to bed if it makes big money (even if at the moment they call it the last one)?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-26-2006, 01:16 PM
You think they'll let this series go to bed if it makes big money (even if at the moment they call it the last one)?

I think so. I don't know what other story lines they could come up with unless they went to teh comics and did stuff like Apocalypse, etc.

Also, what were the names of those random mutants that hung out with magneto? The spikey headed kid, that fast chick, and the shockwave gal. I can't remember their names!!

also, did anybody else catch who wolverine was fighting in the woods: a younger version of Omega Red, the one who shot shards of bone from his wrists?

JetsAndHeels
05-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Crazy question here:

How many of you had the Superman Returns preview at your showing?
A friend of mine went here in town last night, said there was no superman preview!! What is the deal with that?
Just curious about it, I had read that it was going to be attached to all showings of X3.

General_Grievous
05-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Saw it today. Liked it better than the first one, but X2 was the best, in my opinion.

SPOILERS

THE GOOD:
-Magneto, as always. But this time, he is more of a villain than in the last one. Especially after what he did to Mystique after she was cured. What a heartless b@st@rd.
-Beast, Angel, Kitty Pryde, Juggernaut: All new characters (with the exception of Kitty) and they were great in the scenes they were in. Beast kicks @$$!
-Pyro vs. Iceman: Even though it was short, it was pretty cool (no pun intended)
-Wolverine was even more Berserker-esque this time around.
-The fact that Cyclops was killed. Yeah, I know, sad, blah blah blah. I never liked the character. He was always too whiny.
-Golden Gate Bridge/Alcatraz finale
-Danger Room and the Sentinel cameo
-"I'm the Juggernaut, bi*ch!" Cheesy, but nowhere near as cheesy as the line from the first film about toads getting struck by lightning.
and finally.....

PHOENIX! We've been waiting three movies to see this and we finally got it, and she had some pretty unbelievable powers. Along with the doomed relationship between her and Logan

THE BAD (or the stuff that makes me want to write Brett Ratner death threats) (J/K)
-No Nightcrawler, though his absence is explained in the videogame. (Turns out he just quit because he didn't like all the fighting)
-Not enough Colossus. Hell, not even enough Kitty, Angel, Rogue, or Juggernaut, for that matter.
-Curing Mystique so early in the movie.
-Curing Rogue, and for that matter, the pointless love triangle between her, Kitty and Iceman in which absolutely nothing happened.
-That ugly monkey-faced mutant who looked like a guy. I think her name was Arclight.
-Killing Professor X. Why??? This was completely unnecessary, and it shocked the hell out of me. The only reason behind this (and killing off Cyclops) was so they could promise Halle Berry that she could be the leader of the X-Men in this film.
-The fact that practically everyone died at Alcatraz except for some soldiers, Magneto and the X-Men. It would have been better if the Brotherhood had been cured so they would have to deal with being normal.
-The end where Magneto's powers come back. I hope to god they don't have a fourth one. A Wolverine movie? Fine. A Magneto movie? Okay. But I don't think there needs to be an X4.

Overall, a good movie, but it doesn't hold a candle to X2.

And I completely forgot about staying after the credits. Could someone tell me what happened please?

James Boba Fettfield
05-26-2006, 11:11 PM
And I completely forgot about staying after the credits. Could someone tell me what happened please?

Spoilers Folks!

Xavier returns in the body of another person. I haven't seen the film yet, so I don't know who the person is, but we learn that Xavier's mind is alive and well inside another now.

Tycho
05-26-2006, 11:19 PM
At the end of the movie, Professor X manifested himself in the dying man's body that was in the video he showed to the children before (during his class he was teaching). It looks like Professor X could possibly return. Or maybe that was him all along and he never really existed as the man in the chair?

If the mutant gene reasserts itself, that would be a convenient plot device to bring many of them back. I don't read X-men comics, but the mutants need uniforms of some sort, too I think (besides Magneto). Maybe they don't have any. Like I said, I've only seen the films.

They could have Phoenix somehow bring Scott (Cyclops) back.

Magneto seems to be getting back his powers after all.

I wasn't familiar with "Kitty," but I'd like to be. ;) Anna Paquin (Rogue - Marie) hasn't aged that gracefully and I've always tended to like the younger ones (but I let Michael Jackson handle the little boys).

Halle Berry has said that after 3 X-men films and Catwoman, she's hanging up her super-suits. Too bad. I too think that if this flick makes enough money, they could pay her to come back. I really like Storm in all the movies.

jedi master sal
05-26-2006, 11:53 PM
I think so. I don't know what other story lines they could come up with unless they went to teh comics and did stuff like Apocalypse, etc.

Also, what were the names of those random mutants that hung out with magneto? The spikey headed kid, that fast chick, and the shockwave gal. I can't remember their names!!

also, did anybody else catch who wolverine was fighting in the woods: a younger version of Omega Red, the one who shot shards of bone from his wrists?

The fast chick is Callisto. In the comics she was the head of the Morlocks. A band of mutants who calle dthe abandoned underground New York City tracks home. The shockwave girl (who looks like a guy) was called Arclight. She's not in the comics that I know of. Neither is spiky dude.

I left the premiere wanting SO much more.

To add to the bad things about the movie:
How the hell does it go from day to night in less than 30 seconds after Magneto and the gang invade Alcatraz?? Also, how the hell does Angel get to San Francisco in time to save his dad? Sure he could have stowed away on the X-jet, but they didn't show that, and he DOESN'T have supersonic flight.

Also I hated that they made the Juggernaut a mutant. He's NOT a frickin' mutie... He got his powers from the bands of Cytorak (sp?).

I was SO disappointed by the lack of Sentinels!!

Where the hell are the toys BTW??

Best part of the movie: Naked Mystique, or shall I say Raven Darkholme... Rowr, a naked Rebecca Romaine.....

To the points about another movie. they sure as hell should do another movie. There's at least two good stories in the Sentinels and Apocalypse. Maybe something to do with the Hellfire club for another. Onslaught for yet another. Shi'ar (sp?)

The list could go on and on. But at least the Sentinels and Apocalypse...

They've left it open with Magneto slowly regaining his power nad the transfer of consciousness of Xavier.

Also, Rogue can easily regain her power if Magneto can too.

As far as Jean Grey, hell she's the Phoenix and the phoenix rises up out of the ashes!!! And if she's so danged powerful she could reconstitute Cyclops if indeed he was turned to dust.

Colossus vs Juggernaut should have been and wasn't. Wha a wasted opportunity.

Kelsey Gramar wasn't as bad as I thought he was going to be, "oh my Stars and Garters!"

It was a good movie, not a great one. I'll give it a 7 out of 10, but I'm being a little liberal there. It DID feel VERY rushed at times and you could tell Singer wasn't at the helm.

-Sal

mabudonicus
05-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Arclight was one of the marauders, the group that gave Sabretooth his big "in" to the series, I think she is "canon" enough to be in a film if Venom can be in the new Spidey and no-one complains :beard:
It realy sounds like I will be less impressed with this film than I was with X2 if only cos I figured by the third film there'd be no reason to let the makers off the hook for as much as a fan had to for the first ones... I'm really hoping my super-low expectations work to the films advantage, but I kinda doubt it by this point :beard:

Slicker
05-27-2006, 02:34 AM
I just got back from the movie and won't go into detail as everyone here has pointed out most everything.

I liked it a decent amount but as stated by Gen. G it doesn't hold a candle to the first two. It can stand on its own but they tried to get too much into one movie. I realize it was a war but you don't have to try and introduce us to EVERY soldier.

The part that got the whole theater laughing was of course Juggernaut. Even though I knew it was coming I couldn't stop laughing and I cried for a couple of minutes. My stomach hurt from trying to contain the laughter.

Slicker
05-27-2006, 08:28 AM
For those that wanna hear the Juggernaut deliver his famous line click the link.

The obvious warning applies that he swears.

I'm the Juggernaut b**ch! (http://realjuggernaut.ytmnd.com/)

General_Grievous
05-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks JBF and Tycho for the info. Since we're talking about funny lines from the movie, how great was this one: "Try growing those back." :D

darthvyn
05-27-2006, 03:07 PM
i thought it was very good... a worthy addition to the franchise. not as good as the other two, but it definitely fits well... it's DEFINITLY not as glaring a change as batman returns to batman forever! my ONLY real complaint is that they really should have had the phoenix use the fire powers! they showed up in the end of X2, why are they not all over the place in the third movie???

other than that, i can see why they felt they needed to cram everything into this one... they didn't know if they could do more. but they really could've made this one movie two more well-fleshed out movies, one with jean still gone, and cyclops on sabatical or something, where they fight this war. jean comes back to life at the end of that one, saves the x-men's butts, and it goes more in-depth into the dark phoenix thing in the next movie... that would've been ideal. but i'm actually very happy with what we got. beast was more impressive than i anticipated, and it was REALLY cool (pun intended) to finally see a fully-iced-up iceman. awesome.

as for the changes, i can totally see why they made some of them - juggernaut, for example. we've got two movies under our belt that have fully invested the non-comic book collecting crowd into the idea of mutants... and then you're gonna randomly throw a mystical helmet at them? making the juggernaut a mutant was a good move. that would've thrown a lot of casual fans off.

General_Grievous
05-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Just got back from a second screening. I found I liked it even more this time around. And this time, I stayed until after the credits. After seeing the Xavier ending, I felt a whole lot better knowing that he's not dead after all. And on this viewing, I was able to catch the rest of the cameos. I saw Toad in the church where the mutant rally was in the beginning. And I believe Psylocke was in the movie too, with the Brotherhood, but isn't she part of the X-Men in the comics? BTW, I didn't catch the Omega Red reference until this time. I first thought it was just supposed to be a male version of Marrow.

2-1B
05-28-2006, 03:55 AM
I enjoyed it but I think I prefer X-Men United. Some good stuff in this one, though. :)

I didn't dislike Kocaine Grammer like I thought I would and the same goes for Ben Foster as Angel. But isn't there a "rule" that you can't play different characters in Marvel movies? :confused: I swear I recall hearing Ray Park say that...or does that just go for actual superheroes? I ask because Ben Foster was also in The Punisher but not as a superhero or whatever.

Overall I liked it but what was up with Bill Duke's limited role? Someone said he was the leader of the Sentinels but I saw nothing of the sort. Unless it's just a comics thing. :confused:

Was that really Toad ? I just figured it was some random dude. :confused:

Thursday night I watched X-Men, Friday night I watched X-Men United, and today I watched X-Men The Last Stand so I had a nice 3 day marathon there...but 2 things jumped out at me on the issue of continuity:

1) From the 1st movie we see Pyro (different actor) holding fire in his hand like he created it but in the 2nd movie he can only control it, not create it. Or did I miss something in the first one? :confused:

2) Hank McCoy in the 2nd movie is a regular looking dude but in the 3rd movie he's blue and furry. Did he mutate later, then? That's the impression I got from the Leech kid and his trickery but I would have assumed Beast was a blue guy for longer than the past few months or year of story time. :confused:

Anthony Heald was a nice touch for this 3rd movie, I didn't expect him to be in it !

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-28-2006, 07:41 AM
I enjoyed it but I think I prefer X-Men United. Some good stuff in this one, though. :)

I didn't dislike Kocaine Grammer like I thought I would and the same goes for Ben Foster as Angel. But isn't there a "rule" that you can't play different characters in Marvel movies? :confused: I swear I recall hearing Ray Park say that...or does that just go for actual superheroes? I ask because Ben Foster was also in The Punisher but not as a superhero or whatever.

Overall I liked it but what was up with Bill Duke's limited role? Someone said he was the leader of the Sentinels but I saw nothing of the sort. Unless it's just a comics thing. :confused:

Was that really Toad ? I just figured it was some random dude. :confused:

Thursday night I watched X-Men, Friday night I watched X-Men United, and today I watched X-Men The Last Stand so I had a nice 3 day marathon there...but 2 things jumped out at me on the issue of continuity:

1) From the 1st movie we see Pyro (different actor) holding fire in his hand like he created it but in the 2nd movie he can only control it, not create it. Or did I miss something in the first one? :confused:

2) Hank McCoy in the 2nd movie is a regular looking dude but in the 3rd movie he's blue and furry. Did he mutate later, then? That's the impression I got from the Leech kid and his trickery but I would have assumed Beast was a blue guy for longer than the past few months or year of story time. :confused:

Anthony Heald was a nice touch for this 3rd movie, I didn't expect him to be in it !

1. No, you can see Pyro use a lighter to make that little fireball and yeah, Singer used a different actor as it was just a cameo.

2. Again, the Hank on the TV is just a cameo thing and is not to be taken as canon.

taht's my thought/interpretations anyway.

darthvyn
05-28-2006, 09:00 AM
actually, when the first roster of x-men came out in the 60's, there was a hank mccoy beast without any fur. he was just a bit more built and agile than your average human, but he looked mostly human, with larger hands and feet. later on his mutation kept going and he grew the blue fur. i guess they just glanced over that whole sub-plot.

Turbowars
05-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Yet another trashy movie and another waste of 20 bucks.:upset:

2-1B
05-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Guyute - gottcha on the lighter thing, I couldn't remember it from X1. Thanks for the clarification. :)

I don't like the idea of Beast just having a "non canon" cameo though, I mean it was the movie prior to this one ! :D Vyn, thanks for the comics storyline of Beast's mutation, that sounds kinda cool...I'm thinking he was a 'normal' looking fellow in X2 and already a public figure but after his visual mutation he moved on to his cabinet position. Nice way to put a "face" to the mutant issue.

I'm not sure if I liked the whole Phoenix storyline. :confused: Maybe it's just too sad with Jean's death and that's why I don't like it, I don't know. It does seem odd that they had her die in 2 consecutive movies, though.

darthvyn
05-28-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure if I liked the whole Phoenix storyline. :confused: Maybe it's just too sad with Jean's death and that's why I don't like it, I don't know. It does seem odd that they had her die in 2 consecutive movies, though.

well, that's a whole 'nuther circular sub-plot... in the comics, the "phoenix" was originally a cosmic force that took over jean's body, melded with jean's body, or duplicated jean's body depending on who was writing and what was the most convenient at the time... to streamline her whole persona, they created this dual-personality idea out of the blue, because like the juggernaut before her, it was a necessary change to streamline the entire series.

in one comic, the "dark phoenix" does to an entire planet what jean in the movie does to alcatraz island. THAT would've been AWESOME on screen, but we'll see... this is another reason why i wished they had waited for the fourth one to bring her back and go into the phoenix saga.

Rocketboy
05-28-2006, 04:27 PM
I didn't dislike Kocaine Grammer like I thought I would and the same goes for Ben Foster as Angel. But isn't there a "rule" that you can't play different characters in Marvel movies? :confused: I swear I recall hearing Ray Park say that...or does that just go for actual superheroes? I ask because Ben Foster was also in The Punisher but not as a superhero or whatever.Rebbeca Romijn was also in The Punisher, making this her 4th Marvel movie.

hango fett
05-28-2006, 05:24 PM
i thought it was a pretty good movie. i just don't get one thing....if the boy who they used for the cure makes their powers stop working if they are near him, wouldn't his own x genes be negated and thus leaving him normal???
???
HF

Slicker
05-28-2006, 05:40 PM
i thought it was a pretty good movie. i just don't get one thing....if the boy who they used for the cure makes their powers stop working if they are near him, wouldn't his own x genes be negated and thus leaving him normal???
???
HFThat's just one of those things I guess HF.

I guess you could go the same lines and say why doesn't Rogue suck all of her powers thus killing herself when she touches herself?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-28-2006, 05:41 PM
That's just one of those things I guess HF.

I guess you could go the same lines and say why doesn't Rogue suck all of her powers thus killing herself when she touches herself?

Oh Jesus, i'm just waiting for Tycho come along and make that comment feel REALLY inappropriate!

and the film took over 107 million this weekend. rawk! :thumbsup:

Tycho
05-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Oh Jesus, i'm just waiting for Tycho come along and make that comment feel REALLY inappropriate!

I'm sorry. What was I supposed to do? Slicker gave her a great job without me. Pun intended. :D

The fantasy would almost be good if we were talking about how Anna Paquin looked during X1. I don't think time's been kind to the now 20-something to 30-something. Plus she didn't seem to offer that little sexy Southern-girl accent she brought out during the first film. Another mutation or a lack of sensualization?

This time around I'm more about "Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty."

Bacta Beast
05-28-2006, 07:39 PM
There is one thing sacred, one thing that I personally cannot stand seeing happen in an X-Men story . . . seperation of Scott and Jean! There are a number of ways I could have accepted the "death" of Jean Grey. I'm not so much upset that they killed Jean, I halfway expected it. What I can't tolerate is the over-inflated importance of Wolverine role in the matter!
Look they want to do spin off movies just for Wolverine, so they could have put more focus on other characters who made the franchise popular before Wolverine even made an appearance elsewhere! Namely Cyclops! For years that book was about Jean and Scott. When Logan came along he was nothing but a distraction from that relationship. Wolverine has other "true loves" in his life (like Mariko) explore those relationships and leave Jean and Scott alone! Heck that's the whole reason I quit buying the book a couple years ago! I will not buy it again until Jean is alive and with Scott!
Furthermore Wolverine is sooo overrated! And Cyclops never recieved fair screen time in any of these movies. He's no slouch as a fighter, he once single handidly defeated Rouge, Storm, Kitty Pryde, Colussus, Nightcrawler and . . .Wolverine, all while he had broken ribs!
For me Marvel screwed these movies up! I can't say I'm surprised, just filled with contempt!:upset:

JetsAndHeels
05-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it.
Great movie from start to finish!!

Phantom-like Menace
05-29-2006, 01:41 AM
I really can't say I liked or hated the movie. It didn't really pursue any potential either way.

It was very nice to see Iceman ice-up. It was nice to see Storm in some real Weather Witch action (but she's still played by Halle "I'm the star" Berry). It was nice to see Shadowcat (Why does everyone insist on simply calling her Kitty lately?), and it was nice to see Colossus get to hit something (but it would have been nice to see that something be the Juggernaut). I was quite happy with an unexpected cameo by the voice of R. Lee Ermey. Ian McKellen can do no wrong as Magneto. Yeah, okay, naked Romijn was not too terrible, and the look Multiple Man gave her backside was pretty funny.

This movie needed some Nightcrawler! The Phoenix Saga was the Iliad or Odyssey of X-Men and here it got relegated to an obligatory (We saw the Phoenix under the water in X2, so the writers had to shoehorn her in) subplot to a less interesting sampling of the Gifted plot from Astonishing. Cyclops is not only still underused (Despite having massive potential in this story) but killed . . . off-panel! Prince is not a mutant. . . . Is he? Storm is still played by Halle "I'm the star" Berry (but it was nice to see her as the Weather Witch). Oh! by the way, Rogue got cured. Couldn't she have strangled Ms. Marvel a little? I hope I didn't like Psylocke, because she is not only a bad guy but was blown into constituent parts as part of a glorified cameo. That pufferfish guy is only dangerous when he hugs you, kind of like an evil Care Bear but without the stare. Pyro should have burned the quills right off of him. And did it seem to anyone else like Iceman wanted Rogue to go jealous girlfriend? A night of romantic skating with the new hotness says, "Sorry, you're old and busted." Oh, and why was the power of the entire front line of D-list mutant extras super jumping ability?

Bacta Beast
05-29-2006, 12:25 PM

The fast chick was supposed to be Callisto, though she doesn't posses that ability in the comics. They called the big ugly chick "Arclight" the spike kid I don't remember hearing called anything. I was too busy being p@ssed at Scott's apparent death and lack of screen, and Wolverine's over-inflated importance. C'mon he couldn't kill Jean anymore than Jubilee could his abilities are nothing to her! And neither is he! Scott & Jean forever!!!!!

However, only time will tell what is going to happen with this. I personally have little interest in a Wolverine movie. I do think Hugh Jackman is good actor, but I think having a stand-alone Wolverine movie is overkill. Let's face it...he was the front and center character in both X-Men movies to date. Why do we need to further draw him out into the limelight. That's been my only major criticism of the series to date...they've neglected other characters for the sake of focusing on the same few.

Hear Hear!! What we need is a Cyclops film! Since they sidelined him through most of these films.

Any Wolverine movie they make needs to bring back Sabertooth. It's bad enough they didn't bring him back for X-3 (even Toad got at least a cameo), but he is extremely important to the Wolverine storyline.

Any Wolverine movie they do needs to involve Scott blasting Logan's head off!:D

The Good:

Iceman - Finally he does more that chill things - he turned into ICEman!
Yeah, the idea and the timing was cool but I think the animation was a bit lacking.

Sure it's funny but I find it offensive when I have my children in the theatre with me. They made it through the last two movies without that type of thing and I'm feel the producer should have been more responsible to his audience. Likewise Kitty's comment.

The opening scene with the young Xavier and Magento. Nice work on the effects there.
Have to agree with that!

The Bad:

The death of Scott Summers. This is a guy who is supossed to be a leader. In this movie he has a few pathetic minutes of screen time which are wasted on his brooding. He sees Jean come back only to be killed by her seconds later? WTF? Talk about wasting an opportunity to really make something of a character. And after Logan finds Scott's glasses it seems that everyone forgets about Scott - it's like his disappearance was an afterthought to the team.
Amen, amen, amen!!!! My biggest complaint of the movie!!

The Death of Xavier. I understood why it happened and why Jean did it, but it just felt like an excuse to shock the audience by killing him. With Xavier and Scott it almost feels like they realized they had too many characters and needed to get rid of a couple quickly.
It didn't bother me too much 'cause I knew they'd bring him back.

Storm - sure, she had an expanded role, but she still didn't have very much to do in the movie. Not much more emphasis was put into developing her character.
God I hate Storm! And Halle Berry's acting doesn't make it any better for me. As a character she doesn't have the confidence on screen that she does in the comics. But I hate the comic version anyway.

If this truly was the last X-Men movie, then why leave it so open for another with the way they showed Magneto and Xavier at the end?
Yeah, WTF?!!!

The Sentinel - Where the F*** was the rest of it???
That's my other complaint! Cheaping out on the special effects! Why would Colossus "power down" right after the fast ball special when the fight is still going?! Storm should fly more, Bobby should use ice slides, etc..

Overall, I was dissapointed by the movie. It wasn't what I wanted to see in an X-men movie.

2-1B
05-29-2006, 01:42 PM
One of my favorite things about this movie is that they killed off Cyclops - that guy sucks. lol

MEH on the Juggernaught's language - tell me how that's any worse than Wolverine calling Cyclops a "dick" in the first one. :confused: And that was coming from a GOOD guy. :confused:

General_Grievous
05-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Overall it grossed $120 million over the memorial day weekend. About $12 million more than ROTS did in four days.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is a new record for a four-day weekend.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention was the score for the movie. Why did they change it from the last one? It was okay, but I really would have liked it if they had kept that kick @$$ theme from X2.

2-1B
05-29-2006, 03:23 PM
So if it made that much $$$, when does preproduction start on X-Men 4 ? :D

Slicker
05-29-2006, 03:26 PM
I saw that it had the best May opening or something like that. It made $107 million in its first 3 days. Quite impressive if you ask me. It should do about half that next weekend so that'll put it near the $200 million mark and it'll probably top out just below $350 million.

That's just my estimates seeing as how the box office doesn't have much good coming out. Without X3 and The Da Vinci Code the box office would've been dead for the second quarter.

jjreason
05-29-2006, 05:20 PM
I didn't stay for the extra scene, so that's even more indication the series will continue. Scott will come back for sure, and I'm quite sure they'll bring Jean back the same way they did in the comics..... so (as per Marvel rule #1) no one really died. Why they even put the death scenes in any more amazes me, they haven't added any drama now for ages.

JetsAndHeels
05-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Hear Hear!! What we need is a Cyclops film! Since they sidelined him through most of these films.

Don't worry, he will be back and better than ever as Richard White in Superman Returns!! :D

One of the best lines in the film was when Wolverine told the re-generating arm guy to "grow those back", in reference to his, um...yeah. Funny stuff.

hango fett
05-29-2006, 09:30 PM
One of the best lines in the film was when Wolverine told the re-generating arm guy to "grow those back", in reference to his, um...yeah. Funny stuff.
i agree, JH. that was great. i also liked when storm fried that really fast chick...can't think of her name...and then they showed her lip ring glow orange....nice detail...
HF

Rocketboy
05-29-2006, 11:56 PM

Sure it's funny but I find it offensive when I have my children in the theatre with me. They made it through the last two movies without that type of thing and I'm feel the producer should have been more responsible to his audience. Likewise Kitty's comment.Did they watch an edited version of the other two? There were a few words in the other 2 that were worse than what Juggy said.

2-1B
05-30-2006, 12:14 AM
That's what I was thinking.

Bacta Beast
05-30-2006, 07:04 AM
One of my favorite things about this movie is that they killed off Cyclops - that guy sucks. lol

MEH on the Juggernaught's language - tell me how that's any worse than Wolverine calling Cyclops a "dick" in the first one. :confused: And that was coming from a GOOD guy. :confused:

that's one of the reason's I don't like Wolverine as much as Cyclops! He's not a "good" guy. And that card "anti-hero" thing is so played out.:squareeye .
I remember Logan "flipping" Cyclops off with his claws in the first one, but I don't rmember actually saying anything off color. If he did well, I don't support that either. I'm sure that d@mn was used in both but that doesn't carry the same vulger tone to it that Juggy's language does, to me. And it especially grates me when they let children use that language on screen! Hey, if it's so great, and it "makes a movie" how did Star Wars do so well without it?!

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention was the score for the movie. Why did they change it from the last one? It was okay, but I really would have liked it if they had kept that kick @$$ theme from X2.

I agree, after the opening sequences (Jean's was great, Warran's was unnecessary) the opening credits and score seemed somehow behind those of the previous two.

James Boba Fettfield
05-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Juggernaut could have been a lot worse.

"Shut the f*** up Charles, I'm gonna beat yo a**."

"Pimp smack yo a**, b****."

"I'm gonna hit you with your own pimp. I'm bad, I'm the baddest motherf***er in the world."

Personally, I don't see the big deal with what Juggernaut said (and had quite a laugh that they used a line from a group's internet parody of Juggernaut). I'd be more concerned about the violence before the language.

Rocketboy
05-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I remember Logan "flipping" Cyclops off with his claws in the first one, but I don't rmember actually saying anything off color. If he did well, I don't support that either. I'm sure that d@mn was used in both but that doesn't carry the same vulger tone to it that Juggy's language does, to me. And it especially grates me when they let children use that language on screen! Hey, if it's so great, and it "makes a movie" how did Star Wars do so well without it?!2 things off the top of my head (and may be the only ones), both of which are considered worse that Juggernaut's "b*itch":
In X-Men, while in the Statue of Liberty, Logan told Magneto that he was "Full of sh*t" and if he were so self-righteous that he'd (Mags) would be in the machine instead of Rogue.
In X-Men 2, when Logan sees Deathstrike unleash her claws he says "Holy sh*t."

darthvyn
05-30-2006, 01:49 PM
2 things off the top of my head (and may be the only ones), both of which are considered worse that Juggernaut's "b*itch":
In X-Men, while in the Statue of Liberty, Logan told Magneto that he was "Full of sh*t" and if he were so self-righteous that he'd (Mags) would be in the machine instead of Rogue.

to make cyclops believe it was the real wolverine and not mystique pretending, he said "you're a d*ck" in the first one. i don't remember anything from the second one, but much worse than the juggernaut line is one kitty pride uses later in the same scene - she calls juggy a "d*ckhead"... i mean, how many times are we gonna get a large helmet -> male genetalia joke? spaceballs out did them all. that should've been the last one.

2-1B
05-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Wolverine: "It's me"
Cyclops: "Prove it."
Wolverine: "You're a dick."
Cyclops: "Okay."
:D

I wish I had a big helmet like Jugs. :cry:

You know, I put my finger on what I didn't like about this 3rd X-Men (and I do love it overall, make no mistake):

It's too short.

In watching them marathon style, I noticed that the first one was under 2 hours, but it worked well because there was enough time spent on what needing spending before they kicked off the Liberty Island finale. Then I watched X-Men 2 which is pretty long, WELL OVER 2 hours and it worked perfectly in my opinion because there was much to cover. Now X-Men 3 comes along and could definitely benefit from the longer running time of the 2nd movie but it's about the length of the 1st movie.

X-Men The Last Stand is too short of a film. It's good as it is but would feel more complete in a longer film, I suspect. :)

Rocketboy
05-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Someone else mentioned that to me the other day. He said it felt like they left a ton of stuff on the cutting room floor.
If so, then I guess that is what DVDs are for.

Tycho
05-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Why is language such a big deal? By the time I was in Kindergarten, I knew all the swear words and I was just figuring out what the middle finger was actually used for (by women) so I learned then what it really meant).

Today I am a person who barely ever swears, but I have nothing against it. I am just much more articulate and thoughtful when expressing myself, and "F-You" doesn't really cover what I can more eloquently say another way.

When I was a kid, I heard everything from God is going to strike me with lightning if I raise my middle finger again, to I am going to hell for using "that kind of language."

When Star Trek Generations came out and the Enterprise was crashing, and Data says "Oh s...t!" everyone made a big, laughing deal about that. So what? That might be a very human reaction for an android, but it's probably exactly what I would have said for lack of time for a more detailed response.

In Transformers: The Movie (the 80's cartoon one), the s-word is used there as well, and kids would giggle like it was some sort of forbidden priviledge just to hear it.

For those who feel these things bend "decency standards," hah! You would have major issues with the moral codes I've broken while ****ing on the 10 Commandments etc. and I get worse every year (if that's possible). Swear words are so far behind killing words it's not even funny.

Those of you with children need to make sure they can survive in our modern, brave new world. I probably can't have kids of my own, but you could be sure I'd raise Satan's Spawn if I could - and my kids would beat the crap out of your kids and steal their lunch on the playground. (not actually - I have this moral restraint built in that I'm forever trying to free myself from the bonds of...but in theory, I'd have some sour portions to my sweet apples.)

Bacta Beast
05-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Juggernaut could have been a lot worse.

"Shut the f*** up Charles, I'm gonna beat yo a**."

"Pimp smack yo a**, b****."

"I'm gonna hit you with your own pimp. I'm bad, I'm the baddest motherf***er in the world."

Personally, I don't see the big deal with what Juggernaut said (and had quite a laugh that they used a line from a group's internet parody of Juggernaut). I'd be more concerned about the violence before the language.

Sure he could have said that, and I wouldn't have liked that either. Probably would have walked out and asked for my money back. Which I came pretty close to doing when it was evident that Scott was indeed dead! The whole Jean, Logan making out in the infirmary would have upset me more if I hadn't known it was coming. I can't seeing Scott or Jean with other people!

2 things off the top of my head (and may be the only ones), both of which are considered worse that Juggernaut's "b*itch":

I forgot those other scenes. I don't care for them either. The thing is, the X-Men has such a wide appeal to a large number of age groups. There should be a since of responsibility to the younger fans, as well as a realization that you don't have to resort to that to lure older fans. I can't believe that if there wasn't any foul language in the movie, that one person would have changed their decision to see it. X-men was successful for years as a comic without using that type of language. It's only in recent years that they begun to use it in print. That's not what made any of us that call ourselves X-men fans fall in love with them. It's the characters, the drama, the costumes the action! Not one person is going to by a ticket saying to themselves, "I'm going to see this movie cause I really want to hear them swear". If you remove that (the swearing) from the movies, they stand or fall on their other merits (or lack thereof). Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia show that you don't have to include that to make a movie successful.:squareeye

It's too short.

In watching them marathon style, I noticed that the first one was under 2 hours, but it worked well because there was enough time spent on what needing spending before they kicked off the Liberty Island finale. Then I watched X-Men 2 which is pretty long, WELL OVER 2 hours and it worked perfectly in my opinion because there was much to cover. Now X-Men 3 comes along and could definitely benefit from the longer running time of the 2nd movie but it's about the length of the 1st movie.

X-Men The Last Stand is too short of a film. It's good as it is but would feel more complete in a longer film, I suspect. :)

I have agree with that! If they were indeed planning on making this the last X-Men movie, they should have made it longer.:yes:

Slicker
05-30-2006, 06:48 PM
INot one person is going to by a ticket saying to themselves, "I'm going to see this movie cause I really want to hear them swear". Not trying to be an *** and try to prove you wrong but I will personally see X-Men again almost exclusively to hear Juggernaut deliver his line again. I've got the clip from the movie but it's just not the same.

Tycho
05-30-2006, 07:30 PM
I admit I am walking around muttering to myself: "Do you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut Bltch!" - in my best Australian accent.

I follow that up with a Steve Irwin impression (the Crocodile Hunter) saying "Don't look now but there's a giant, blue-furred Sasquatch sneaking up right behind you!"

Come to think of it, having Crocodile Hunter in an X-men film might further spur the attraction.

Rocketboy
05-30-2006, 08:16 PM
A few possible DVD details already

Brett Ratner, director of X-Men: The Last Stand, said he will have a personally made behind-the-scenes look as part of the film's DVD release.
"I have a two-hour documentary on the making of the movie that I shot," Ratner said. "It wasn't like EPK (electronic press kit) crews coming by and filming me going, 'Oh, today we're filming the...'
"It was an in-depth making of the movie."
Ratner said he was excited about putting the DVD together.
"I think if you're an X-fan or a fan of this movie, it's going to be mind-blowing," he said.
Ratner said the DVD will contain new footage, but it won't be an extended cut.
"Probably 99 percent of the scenes I shot are in the movie, but there are other versions of it that were shot," he said. "Until I saw the movie, I wasn't sure in which direction I wanted to go. For instance, the Rogue scene. Should she get the cure or should she not get the cure?
"So there was a lot of variations."
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0605/30/index.htm

El Chuxter
05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Hey, if it's so great, and it "makes a movie" how did Star Wars do so well without it?!

"Well, he'd better have those units in the South Ridge repaired by midday, or there'll be hell to pay."

"He was afraid you'd follow old Obi-Wan on some damned fool crusade."

"Then I'll see you in hell."

Not to mention that, given the sense in which it's used every time it's said, "poodoo" doesn't mean "fodder."

Tycho
05-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Again, what's the big deal about language? I'm not offended by its use in movies or television - in real life, depending upon how it's served up towards me, I might be.

But come on! Language? A purely gratuitous sex scene between 21-B and a Power Droid would have spiced up ESB even further, don't you think?

Phantom-like Menace
05-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Blah, blah, blah.

In other news, there was a movie recently called X-Men: Last Stand.

I was really hoping there were going to be loads of extra scenes, maybe some stuff that would garner an emotional reaction. Alas and alack, ninety-nine percent of scenes filmed made it into the movie. Great, I'm sure the rest of the movie was "curing" and or killing everyone else.

Slicker
05-31-2006, 07:12 AM
"Well, he'd better have those units in the South Ridge repaired by midday, or there'll be hell to pay."

Not to mention that, given the sense in which it's used every time it's said, "poodoo" doesn't mean "fodder."And don't forget...

"Damn fool. I knew you were gonna say that"

Dar' Argol
05-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Ok, how about we stop ****in' about the language. I've seen the same in the comics so WHATEVER!!!

Back to discussion of the MOVIE.

I'm still on the fence about this. There are things I liked, there are thngs I didn't. There are thngs I hated . .

I liked Grammer as Beast. He was spot on perfect!! Iceman was nice to finally see, would have been nice to see the Ice slide as well, but I can wait. The Fastball Special was awesome to see with Wolvie and Collosus. Angel was nice to see, although it would have been better to see him fight.

I did not like the fact that they randomly stick known mutants into stupid situations and then make them un-reconisible(sp) to the fans . . . . where was Psylock???? Callisto was NOT that fast chick . . I don't know who that was suppose to be but it can't be Callisto. And please be a little original in some of the background mutants . . . they all have Jumping powers??? Just how common is that. How many of them are named Jenniffer??

And I understand that a lot of the history needed to be made "mainstream" to attract a broader audience, but there are some things that should not have been done. Xaivier is one of them! I don't care what the scene after the credits is, how many people would think wait until the end of the credits to see more of the movie. I bet most people missed that part . . I know I did. Doing a dual personality may be the eaisiest way to explain something but COME-ON!!! Its the Phoniex!! There were other ways to do this! I mean she looks alien anyways when she gives into it. And there was no explination as to where Nightcrawler was !?!?! why introduce a character and then make him dissapear without a why in the next??? I mean Collosus made it into this one and he had one line in X2!

If you don't know squat about the X-Men aside from what you have seen in the movies then you will love this movie. Its a good movie and its a good sequel. BUT . . . . if you know the comics and any of their history this movie will **** you off! Brian Singer should have never left X-Men until it was finished. Kinda makes me wonder how different it would have been if he stayed.

I know I'm gonna get "but this is good because this and this and this" and "you don't know what your talking about . . " and "wolverine sucks and Cyclops is god" (whatever) but this is my opinion. I loved the first 2 movies, I thought this one was going to be the same, and it was good for the most part. But being an avid fan I hold many issues with this movie. Just as I hold many issues with the current comics and their 198 and House of M crap.

So I am not sure about this yet . . .

JetsAndHeels
05-31-2006, 07:50 PM
Brian Singer should have never left X-Men until it was finished. Kinda makes me wonder how different it would have been if he stayed.

Different as better or different just as...well, different?
I know everyone pretty much hates him not doing part 3, but hey I for one am happy he is doing other things. :D

Dar' Argol
05-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Different as better or different just as...well, different?
I know everyone pretty much hates him not doing part 3, but hey I for one am happy he is doing other things. :D

Different as in . . . . . different. It could be better, it could be worse. It could have been a completely different story line, it could have been the same . . . . who knows. And I agree he should do other things, but finish something you start.

Bacta Beast
05-31-2006, 08:30 PM

Not to mention that, given the sense in which it's used every time it's said, "poodoo" doesn't mean "fodder."

I don't see the swaring in those lines.:confused: I'm talking about b*tch, @ss, f*ck, sh@t. It's the vulgarity object to being put on display in front of younger audiences. Damned and hell just don't cut it. And poodoo? That's no worse than poopoo, and it's not even a real word.

Again, what's the big deal about language? I'm not offended by its use in movies or television - in real life, depending upon how it's served up towards me, I might be.

But come on! Language? A purely gratuitous sex scene between 21-B and a Power Droid would have spiced up ESB even further, don't you think?

lol Uhhhh . . .no.

Maybe you weren't offended but that doesn't mean others weren't. Again, it would be different if X-Men didn't appeal so much to younger audiences. But they obviously court that demographic heavily. So you have to be responsible when you do that. And, would it offend anyone if they didn't include it? Would anyone have left the theatre saying" man I'm p@ssed that they didn't swear in front of my kids. It's easy if you're single to not care about this sort of thing. But it's different when you have a family.

And besides that, even without the language this movie still stinks because of other reasons! Mainly, Scott & Jean!!! Can we talk about that please?!!!!

Ok, how about we stop ****in' about the language. I've seen the same in the comics so WHATEVER!!!

It's still relatively new in the comics! And, one it doesn't justify it here. This is a free and open forum. We are discussing the movie. I brought up the things I didn't like about the movie. The langauge was one of them. Instead of discussing anything else I said, everyone wants to talk about the fact that I had a problem with the language. Everyone seems to have problem with me having a problem with it. Not one person on this forum has agreed with me (God I feel like Noah). That's cool, I'd rather take a stand for my convictions than fold just to "fit in". As long as others still want to discuss it, and I have time to respond I will.

I did not like the fact that they randomly stick known mutants into stupid situations and then make them un-reconisible(sp) to the fans . . . . where was Psylock???? Callisto was NOT that fast chick . . I don't know who that was suppose to be but it can't be Callisto. And please be a little original in some of the background mutants . . . they all have Jumping powers??? Just how common is that. How many of them are named Jenniffer??.

Yes she is! I tried to include a link to the official site but it wouldn't let me copy it. Go to www.x3movie.com. It's the official site. Go to the gallery, she's in there and named as Callisto. Hey, I don't like it either, but that's who they meant her to be.

If you don't know squat about the X-Men aside from what you have seen in the movies then you will love this movie. Its a good movie and its a good sequel. BUT . . . . if you know the comics and any of their history this movie will **** you off!

I have to agree with that assesment.:yes:

James Boba Fettfield
05-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey, can you cut down on the number of posts you make, Bacta? No reason to split what should be a single post into three or more replies.

Beast
05-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Hey folks. Haven't been around due to being sick and computer issues. But I did drag myself out of the house to see X-3. And I enjoyed it. The movie wasn't perfect, and could have used another 20 minutes to develop some characterization. As it is, you're beaten over the head by action scene after action scene, with little breathing room between.

Otherwise I was fairly happy, and am even no longer grumbling about the casting of Kelsey Grammer as Beast. He nailed the character quite well, and I was pleased that they actually did a good job of capturing Hank's unique fighting style for the film.

I do agree with the sentiment above that the language (Juggernaut's B***h and Shadowcat's Dickhead) were horribly forced however. Especially since the Juggy line was just a lame call-out to that horrid internet meme.

Bacta Beast
05-31-2006, 09:16 PM
Oh my God!!! Someone doesn't disagree with me!!!:cross-eye

Beast
05-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Oh my God!!! Someone doesn't disagree with me!!!:cross-eye
Only because it felt forced. I wouldn't have trouble with the language, if it felt natural. But Juggy's was just stupid, so they could mention that stupid internet parody. And Kitty's, ugh... it's so unnatural given her character. Sure the movies arn't the comics, but it still didn't feel right coming from her.

El Chuxter
05-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was only pointing out that a lot of people would be offended by the language in Star Wars.

Bacta Beast
05-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Only because it felt forced. I wouldn't have trouble with the language, if it felt natural. But Juggy's was just stupid, so they could mention that stupid internet parody. And Kitty's, ugh... it's so unnatural given her character. Sure the movies arn't the comics, but it still didn't feel right coming from her.

See, I can recognize that! That's my actually my point! They went out of their way put it in there! It sticks out like a sore thumb! They didn't have to and that sequence would still ahve worked. It feels fake!:yes:

2-1B
06-01-2006, 04:15 AM
I've been thinking more about this movie and I still love it overall...but I don't like the Phoenix storyline. It was way out of hand, obliterating people at will and making it all seem pointless. Not enough checks and balances there. Thankfully our man Logan was there to melt her butter. lol

As I type this at nearly 3am, Famke Jansen is on a Leno re-run. Odd.

Hey Bacta Beast, I think the reason nobody wants to talk about Scott is because of how much Cyclops sucks in these movies. ;) Stryker should have offed him in part 2. :crazed:

Bacta Beast
06-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Hey Bacta Beast, I think the reason nobody wants to talk about Scott is because of how much Cyclops sucks in these movies. ;) Stryker should have offed him in part 2. :crazed:

I don't think it's fair to say he sucked, it's just that they sidelined him terribly! That's what sucks! He's the star of the book and they gave him no respect.:mad:
And no he shouldn't have offed him! That fat old man shouldn't have been able to stand up to Scott for a second!

darthvyn
06-01-2006, 09:03 AM
I don't think it's fair to say he sucked, it's just that they sidelined him terribly! That's what sucks! He's the star of the book and they gave him no respect.:mad:
And no he shouldn't have offed him! That fat old man shouldn't have been able to stand up to Scott for a second!

there shouldn't be any "star" on a team book... that said, wolverine garners most of the limelight in the books too... if you want cyclops movies, beg and plead for x-factor to make it to the big screen. (fat chance, though.)

cyclops is a tool. he's a tool in the comics, he's a tool in the movies. no one wants to watch a movie about a tool, so he's gone. i personally wouldn't have killed him off (and he'll be back, anyway...) - i would've just had him go on a sabbatical after jean died - but whatever...

on the "swear words" i've actually felt it was a bit much in each installment, but not enough to really care.

2-1B
06-01-2006, 12:18 PM
I disagree on Cyclops, it's not the sidelining that sucked, in fact I would have disliked it if he was in it more. :D Yes I love Wolverine but I've never read an X-Men comic cover to cover so my fandom is not rooted in that genre.

I just really dig Hugh Jackman and think he's what Rick McCallum would describe as "F***ing Awesome." I think the movie character is the bee's knees. Maybe Cyclops is cool in the comics, I wouldn't know. Nor do I care as I do not and will not read comics. Ever. lol

El Chuxter
06-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Cyclops is a goody-goody stick-in-the-mud. It's partly because he was raised by Mister Sinister for much of his childhood, I suppose.

Bacta Beast
06-02-2006, 07:19 AM
there shouldn't be any "star" on a team book... that said, wolverine garners most of the limelight in the books too... if you want cyclops movies, beg and plead for x-factor to make it to the big screen. (fat chance, though.)

cyclops is a tool. he's a tool in the comics, he's a tool in the movies. no one wants to watch a movie about a tool, so he's gone. i personally wouldn't have killed him off (and he'll be back, anyway...) - i would've just had him go on a sabbatical after jean died - but whatever...

on the "swear words" i've actually felt it was a bit much in each installment, but not enough to really care.

Why shouldn't there be? That's not true. I did beg for a Cyclops movie, for years. X-factor wouldn't be the solution to that. That doesn't even make sense to a long time fan of the comics.:crazed:

Uhh . . . he's not! I don't know what books you've been reading, or what your defenition of tool is, but Cyke definately doesn't fir the usual profile of a tool! If no one wants to watch a tool in a movie than explain Napolean Dynamite!

They were, I did.

Cyclops is a goody-goody stick-in-the-mud. It's partly because he was raised by Mister Sinister for much of his childhood, I suppose.

Yeah, being raised by someone completely evil usually has that effect on someone . . .WTF?!!!!:crazed:

I disagree on Cyclops, it's not the sidelining that sucked, in fact I would have disliked it if he was in it more. :D Yes I love Wolverine but I've never read an X-Men comic cover to cover so my fandom is not rooted in that genre.

I just really dig Hugh Jackman and think he's what Rick McCallum would describe as "F***ing Awesome." I think the movie character is the bee's knees. Maybe Cyclops is cool in the comics, I wouldn't know. Nor do I care as I do not and will not read comics. Ever. lol

Sure Hugh's cool (when he's not busy singing "the Boy from Epanema"). Too cool (and way to frickin' tall) to be Wolverine! Pretty boy probably shaves his back!

El Chuxter
06-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Actually, it sort of does. It's overcompensation after seeing what a powerful mutant with no morals can be capable of doing.

Rocketboy
06-03-2006, 12:59 AM
New Details on the X-Men Spinoffs
Source: USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/life/2006-06-01-coming-attractions_x.htm)
June 2, 2006

USA Today has published an update on the various "X-Men" spinoffs in the works, including Wolverine, Magneto, one on the kids and another on Emma Frost. The newspaper's scoop:

The first spinoff will be Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. His character has an as-yet-unrevealed back story in which researchers replaced his original bones (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14815#) with a metal skeleton. Jackman has signed on to star and co-produce, and X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner says it will likely head into production next year.

"We've also talked about doing something on the kids in (Professor X's (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14815#)) school, focusing on their lives, and less of a global adventure (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14815#) for the team," says Hutch Parker, production president of 20th Century Fox.

The studio is also exploring a movie with Three Kings (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14815#) director David O. Russell based on the character of Emma Frost, a sexy mutant telepath who can transform her skin into diamonds. She is an X-Men comics regular but was not featured in the movies (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14815#).

Another likely solo project: Magneto, also in the script phase. The film will focus on his youthful pre-villain days, Shuler Donner says.

Though it would require a younger actor for those sequences, she says the film would need Ian McKellen to anchor the flashbacks. "What's a Magneto movie without Ian?" she asks.http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14815

Interesting. I was thinking the other day that it would be cool to see a movie with the younger X-Men, like Colossus, Iceman, and Kitty Pride.

Emma Frost? Sounds like a bad idea, but it is possible that it could end up being cool.

Tycho
06-03-2006, 01:07 AM
I could look at Kitty Pride for longer than 2 hours even if she didn't do anything.

That's funny though - my cats poop in "Cat's Pride" brand cat litter.

I didn't know about her character prior to X3, but I'd like to see her in another XXX movie. Hehehe.

JediTricks
06-03-2006, 01:11 AM
I saw it yesterday, I really didn't like it much, the movie was failed more by the writing than the director, though he didn't do anything good and showed that he's still a bit of a hack ("emotion" shots are just "point the camera right into the actor's face at point blank range" no matter how bad it looks). And I know the script was kinda devoid, but when Juggernaut and Multiple Man just join Magneto for no reason (they don't know him, they don't know what he stands for, yet hey let's join this guy) Ratner doesn't at least have them do anything with their performances to prop up this sagging plotpoint, stuff like that happened all the time.

It was an ok action film but I can't point to 1 piece of good wire work, it looked like a bad high school production of Peter Pan each time.

Phantom-like Menace
06-03-2006, 01:28 AM
It was an ok action film but I can't point to 1 piece of good wire work, it looked like a bad high school production of Peter Pan each time.

Well said.

An Emma Frost movie? I think Emma Frost would have best been served in supporting character form, maybe in the third movie since that movie borrows from the Astonishing X-Men story she was a part of. Otherwise, I gather we'll be seeing plenty of Hellfire Club stuff (which means we'll be seeing plenty of the actress's stuff) but they really need to get what can only be described as a fanboy drool-inducing, hot blonde to play the role. The earlier rumors that Sigourney Weaver was going to play Emma in the X-Men trilogy made me wince. That's not just hormones talking, I swear. Emma Frost is not a telepath who is hot, she's a hot woman who is a telepath; that's just the character.

As for an X-kids movie, I'm curious if it will be Kitty and Colossus and that group, or if it will be some other group of junior students.

I think I've already stated Ian McKellen can do no wrong as Magneto, so I'm onboard for his movie.

Wolverine? I still have my fingers crossed for Kelly Hu, and yes, that's hormones talking.

El Chuxter
06-03-2006, 01:31 AM
"We've also talked about doing something on the kids in ( Professor X's) school, focusing on their lives, and less of a global adventure for the team," says Hutch Parker, production president of 20th Century Fox.

Need I say it?

Coming July 2009:
Jubilee: The Movie!

Seriously, though, too many spin-offs can be a bad thing. Oversaturating the property onscreen is going to lead to some Catwoman-class crap if they're not careful.

Bacta Beast
06-03-2006, 03:40 AM
ni, he's not overcompensating because of Sinister, he's always been the hero, the leader the responsible one. Even before Sinister got ahold of him.

darthvyn
06-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Well said.

An Emma Frost movie? I think Emma Frost would have best been served in supporting character form, maybe in the third movie since that movie borrows from the Astonishing X-Men story she was a part of. Otherwise, I gather we'll be seeing plenty of Hellfire Club stuff (which means we'll be seeing plenty of the actress's stuff) but they really need to get what can only be described as a fanboy drool-inducing, hot blonde to play the role. The earlier rumors that Sigourney Weaver was going to play Emma in the X-Men trilogy made me wince. That's not just hormones talking, I swear. Emma Frost is not a telepath who is hot, she's a hot woman who is a telepath; that's just the character.

can 't remember if i said it here, or elsewhere... but after i watched "thunderbirds" (y'know, the live-action remake of the british puppetmation show... i swear, it was actually pretty fun...) Sophia Myles (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0617009/) IS the gal to pull off Emma Frost... check out this (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0167456/Ss/0167456/C93-28A.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Myles,%20Sophia) shot... totally perfect!

Rocketboy
06-03-2006, 09:59 AM
can 't remember if i said it here, or elsewhere... but after i watched "thunderbirds" (y'know, the live-action remake of the british puppetmation show... i swear, it was actually pretty fun...) Sophia Myles (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0617009/) IS the gal to pull off Emma Frost... check out this (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0167456/Ss/0167456/C93-28A.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Myles,%20Sophia) shot... totally perfect!Giggity!
Although they'd screw it up and cast a big "sexy" name that really isn't all that good looking.

Phantom-like Menace
06-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Sophia Myles (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0617009/) IS the gal to pull off Emma Frost... check out this (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0167456/Ss/0167456/C93-28A.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Myles,%20Sophia) shot... totally perfect!

When it comes to casting hot, tall blondes, I'm pretty useless. A cute, little brunette completes the trifecta for me. I only know her from Underworld, though I have the slightest desire to watch Tristan and Isolde if only because I've always been partial to Arthurian legend.

El Chuxter
06-03-2006, 11:11 PM
...he's always been the hero, the leader the responsible one. Even before Sinister got ahold of him.

Which is why he's the leader of the X-Men and not the Marauders or Nasty Boys. :) He's always been good, from the minute he saved his (somewhat no-account) brother from certain death, and probably long before that. But in that short time (probably about 2-3 years, if that) under Sinister's tutelage, before he attended Xavier's, he would've definitely have seen the dark possibilities of an evil mutant.

Not to mention that as one of the earliest students, he'd have more first-hand knowledge of Magneto, Apocalypse, the Shadow King, and those like them.

2-1B
06-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Who was Cyclops' brother ? It wasn't Cable, was it ? (sorry Chux, I'm only somewhat familiar with the comics characters) :)

James Boba Fettfield
06-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Cable is his boy and Havok is his brother. He very well could have more brothers and sons, but since I'm not a big X-Men geek, I wouldn't know them.

2-1B
06-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Ahhhh, so I wasn't totally off the mark with the Cable connection. Thanks, Jaymz. :)

Bacta Beast
06-04-2006, 03:55 AM
Which is why he's the leader of the X-Men and not the Marauders or Nasty Boys. :) He's always been good, from the minute he saved his (somewhat no-account) brother from certain death, and probably long before that. But in that short time (probably about 2-3 years, if that) under Sinister's tutelage, before he attended Xavier's, he would've definitely have seen the dark possibilities of an evil mutant.

Not to mention that as one of the earliest students, he'd have more first-hand knowledge of Magneto, Apocalypse, the Shadow King, and those like them.

Your statement was that Scott was a "goody two shoes stick in the mud", and that you guessed that's what being raised by Sinister would do to someone. My point is, as you helped show, he was always the selfless one who put the need of others in front of his own.:) That's not something he would have learned from Sinister.

El Chuxter
06-04-2006, 12:21 PM
That wasn't my intended point. I meant to say that seeing mean ol' Mr Sinister in action up close would've put some fear of the Dark Side into him. I think that's a big part of why Cyclops is so "by the book" as an adult. Wolvie and Cyclops are both "good guys," but their methods are about as different as can be.

Family tree of Cyclops:

Corsair: Father
Havok: Brother
Madeline Pryor (clone of Jean Grey): Wife, deceased
Jean Grey: Wife, deceased (though we know it's a matter of time before she's back)
Cable: Son (by Madeline Pryor)
Rachel Summers (AKA Phoenix II, AKA Marvel Girl II or III or whatever): Daughter from a parallel universe (mother presumable Jean Grey)
Stryfe: lame clone of son

General_Grievous
06-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I don't see any of those spin-offs making it except "Wolverine". Maybe "Magneto", if they decide to include Genosha and have a whole lot of mutants from the comics, like Quicksilver and maybe even a Gambit cameo. They would also need to use that de-aging technology on Sir Ian that they used in X3. There are so many possibilities for the Wolverine movie. It could go from the "Origin" story to his Weapon X days. It could have Sabertooth, Deathstrike, maybe even Deadpool. As for the X-Kids movie? It sounds better as a TV show. BTW, wasn't Emma Frost supposed to be in X3? I remember reading something like it about a year ago on AICN or some other website.

Tycho
06-04-2006, 05:36 PM
I thought "Cable" was a TV service. Didn't Jim Carrey already play that guy?

scruffziller
06-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Lemme see...... even with being burned out on summer blockbusters over the years, it was enjoyable. Far from the crap that was Fantastic 4-(minus one Jessica Alba :lipsrsealed: ).

However, I think they take "changing the story for the big screen" thing to far. Especially when they kill folks off, but then bring them back some how.:rolleyes: Cheap plots!!!!!!!!!

The CGI for Colossus and Iceman was WAYYYYYYYYYYY off. Unbearable to even try to make something out of it in my mind.

Am I the only one, or did Wolverine seem ultra wussified most of the film and then to make up for lost time he has moments of the real Wolverine pop out.

I want to see Apocalypse....NOW!!!!!

Rocketboy
06-04-2006, 09:29 PM
I don't see any of those spin-offs making it except "Wolverine". Maybe "Magneto", if they decide to include Genosha and have a whole lot of mutants from the comics, like Quicksilver and maybe even a Gambit cameo. They would also need to use that de-aging technology on Sir Ian that they used in X3. Last I heard, "Magneto" would be a prequel.
It was described as "X-Men" mixed with "The Pianist," which sounds awesome, IMO.
The other day someone (Avi Arad?) said that they want Ian McKellen in it in sort of a storytelling type of way and someone else would play a young Magneto.

scruffziller
06-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Last I heard, "Magneto" would be a prequel.
It was described as "X-Men" mixed with "The Pianist," which sounds awesome, IMO.
The other day someone (Avi Arad?) said that they want Ian McKellen in it in sort of a storytelling type of way and someone else would play a young Magneto.

Yea it is suppose to be about Charles Xavier as a young military officer finding Magneto in the concentration camp.

Tycho
06-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Is that a prequel to X-men or "Band of Brothers?" :p

Yeah, I know Eric's past history from the first X-men film.

JediTricks
06-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Well, the movie took a horrific box office tumble for its second weekend, down 67% winding up in 2nd place behind The Break-Up. Is the word out that it's not so great, or is it just that people are fickle? :p

Slicker
06-05-2006, 05:05 PM
I figured it'd drop dramatically seeing as it opened up on a major holiday. I expect it to rebound this weekend though.

scruffziller
06-05-2006, 05:48 PM
or is it just that people are fickle? :p
Nope, they're just smart.

JediTricks
06-05-2006, 05:49 PM
It should have dropped 33%, not double that, there's no reason at all for a movie to drop that fast normally, analysts were thrown for a loop by it. Why would it rebound this weekend, it's not a holiday either?

Not smart enough to miss it opening weekend. :p

2-1B
06-06-2006, 01:45 AM
I plan to see it again in the theater, maybe this weekend. :)

3 years ago for X-Men 2 I saw it twice on the same day and then waited for the DVD...this time, I would have done the same thing but I had a wedding to attend that night. The next weekend (as in, yesterday :D ) I saw The Break Up so X-Men 3 had to wait.

I definitely want to see it again to see if it still feels like it is too quick of a movie.

General_Grievous
06-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I figured it'd drop dramatically seeing as it opened up on a major holiday. I expect it to rebound this weekend though.
It doesn't stand a chance this weekend up against Cars and The Omen

2-1B
06-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Cars, sure, but...The Omen ? :D I don't see that one doing much at the B.O. at all. :crazed:

I've been wrong before, though. ;)

plasticfetish
06-08-2006, 05:54 AM
I saw it yesterday, I really didn't like it much, the movie was failed more by the writing than the director, though he didn't do anything good and showed that he's still a bit of a hack ("emotion" shots are just "point the camera right into the actor's face at point blank range" no matter how bad it looks). And I know the script was kinda devoid, but when Juggernaut and Multiple Man just join Magneto for no reason (they don't know him, they don't know what he stands for, yet hey let's join this guy) Ratner doesn't at least have them do anything with their performances to prop up this sagging plotpoint, stuff like that happened all the time.We saw it yesterday (me, wife, kid) and I agree with all of what JT's said there. I didn't hate the movie, but it felt like a cheap washed out version of the first two -- which, in all honesty I didn't think were perfect either, but they have enough going for them for me to want to play along. This movie was repetitive, and it sadly missed out on tons of great visual opportunities. Yeah, there was a lot of fun stuff to look at, but largely it seemed forced and weak. I didn't come away caring for any of the characters (aside from Beast, Kelsey Grammar was good), which is funny, because I really love Magneto and Professor X from the other movies. Even Halle Berry, who's awesome as Storm couldn't punch through the haze (pun intended) created by this mix of a stunted script and some seriously uninspired directing.

I mean, it was good, but when you're handed something so full of amazing characters and potentially great (in that classic comic book fashion) dramatic moments, it should really have been far more... astonishing.

I wish that they had decided to shelf this one for a while, and that they'd gone on and made the Wolverine and Magneto movies instead. This one should have had some more time to mature.

edit: Oh... and I saw this mentioned somewhere, but what happened to the toys? I'll assume that the deal between Toy Biz, Marvel and Hasbro killed any X3 toys off, but you also want to think that maybe someone guessed that the film wouldn't be good enough to support a line. (Hmmm?)

2-1B
06-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I dunno about that PF, they didn't have the same foresight with The Hulk. :D

plasticfetish
06-08-2006, 12:45 PM
I dunno about that PF, they didn't have the same foresight with The Hulk. :DThis is very true.

tagmac
06-08-2006, 06:37 PM
I dunno about that PF, they didn't have the same foresight with The Hulk. :D

Don't forget what's currently going on with Superman. A movie that may be good, and a hundered different versions of the same exact figure clogging up the pegs that should be filled with the various Star Wars and X-Men figures that people will actually buy.

plasticfetish
06-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Don't forget what's currently going on with Superman. A movie that may be good, and a hundered different versions of the same exact figure clogging up the pegs that should be filled with the various Star Wars and X-Men figures that people will actually buy.They have nothing to do with each other. If there were no Superman Returns figures, there would be the same number of Star Wars figures in your local store today. Besides, Star Wars is doing a pretty good job of clogging its own pegs right now as I see it.

It's just odd. Perhaps they (wisely?) saw this as not being a "kids" film, so they decided to skip doing a toy line... especially since they've already got another X-Men line out right now.

JediTricks
06-08-2006, 11:57 PM
The X2 toys didn't sell very well, and after the beating Marvel took on Hulk movie toys and Fantastic Four movie toys, I think they were gun-shy about doing X3 movie toys - keep in mind that the decision to not do movie-based toys came well before the Hasbro move.

El Chuxter
06-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Funny, Marvel should realize that good figures sell pretty well. Like the Hulk Classics line that sort of took over the Hulk movie line? Hotcakes. 'Cause who doesn't want Joe Fixit and Smart Hulk?

Except for JT. He only wants the Super Skrull from the new FF line, since it's his cousin. :p

Phantom-like Menace
06-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Doesn't the Los Angeles-Hollywood area break off from the continent right at the San Andreas fault, sink into the ocean, and drag the movie industry with it if they don't release toys for "kiddie movies?" In the past, I've seen umpteen toylines for movies rot on the pegs without being sold even at super, ridiculous clearance prices, and Hollywood still seems to be of the opinion that any movie exists only to make a toyline. I know this isn't a sign that Hollywood has finally learned that lesson, so I figure this is merely a brief abnormality. I mean what's next? Will Hollywood start making movies that don't exist merely to sell toys?

plasticfetish
06-09-2006, 04:15 AM
I know this isn't a sign that Hollywood has finally learned that lesson, so I figure this is merely a brief abnormality.I'm starting to think that the world ran out of plastic after all of the factories finished making Cars toys.

Funny, Marvel should realize that good figures sell pretty well. Like the Hulk Classics line that sort of took over the Hulk movie line? Hotcakes. 'Cause who doesn't want Joe Fixit and Smart Hulk? Except for JT. He only wants the Super Skrull from the new FF line, since it's his cousin.Did marvel learn anything from that? Oh I see, you're saying they didn't. (Just repeating to hammer your point home.) They let the Hulk line shrivel up also. (A line that go ME interested in Hulk characters that I'd never heard of. Joe Fixit?!? I'd never read that comic... but I bought the great toy and it sat on my desk for months making me want to go read the comics. Duh, Toy Biz/Hasbro/DC/Marvel... good toys are a great promotional item.)

I really want one of those Super Skrull figures BTW.

The X2 toys didn't sell very well, and after the beating Marvel took on Hulk movie toys and Fantastic Four movie toys, I think they were gun-shy about doing X3 movie toys - keep in mind that the decision to not do movie-based toys came well before the Hasbro move.The F4 movie sucked, and the toys were just as boring and ugly. (I'm still extremely PO'd that they F'd up the F4 movie.) So, if they don't sell, I think it's a sign that kids are simply smart enough to know what's good and bad. Like... a figure of the guy from Nip Tuck as Doctor Doom is bad! Smart kids. The Hulk movie was boring, and and there was an overwhelming amount of green in the stores. (Sort of reminds me of all the red and blue that I'm seeing right now.) 20 versions of one character doesn't count as "variety." Why would kids look at Nick Nolte figures anyway, when they could rip open a pair of Hulk fists right there in the store and start pounding on each other?

Did the X-2 toys do poorly? I don't even remember seeing a Magneto figure and I wanted one. My son pulled his Wolverine figure out the other day and is playing with it again because there's nothing going for X-3. Suppose that's the good thing about no new X-3 toys... I didn't spend any money. But gee... anyone not want a Phoenix figure, or Juggernaut, or the weird bald kid that didn't do anything but he was important or something? (Okay. Not the bald kid.)

Hmmm. I hate to say it, but maybe Toy Biz does deserve to loose the Marvel license... for films anyway.

mabudonicus
06-09-2006, 08:48 AM
I saw some "X-men" figures yesterday at TRU that kinda looked like the consumer was supposed to assume they were tied-in to the film, but they had crap like Stealth wolverine and the metal version of Angel, but they did have a Magneto that looked a lot like the one in the film...

And they sure did have Cars toys, a section or two away from the pegs fully stocked with Ice Age 2 figs, so at least now they'll have some company, and who knows, if the local TRU is in any kind of financial trouble they could double as a museaum of crappy, crappy toys

El Chuxter
06-10-2006, 08:17 PM
A thread about a third X-Men movie? Man, that'd be cool! Hopefully now that Bryan Singer's done with Superman Returns, he can work on one. Because that Phoenix in the water has to be dealt with, and we know the team is going to rock harder with both Colossus and Nightcrawler on board!!

I hope we see a third X-Men movie sooner rather than later.

Totally unrelated, but I have about two hours from earlier this afternoon where I can't remember anything at all that happened. It's almost like I'm trying to block out something really painful. Or stupid. And I have this really weird feeling that I saw a trailer for a new Jet Li movie called Fearless that looks pretty good right before I blanked out.

Seriously, though....

It was better than Daredevil, I'll give it that much. Though ROTS was much better, even on the first viewing where I didn't care that much for it.

X3 is a brainless, stupid action film. And it's hella good at that. Had I gone in expecting a brainless, stupid action film, I'd have loved it. But me, even with low expectations given Singer's non-involvement, wanted even a little bit of story or character development here. I wanted something to continue where X-Men and X2 left off, even if it was an ROTJ to their ANH and ESB.

It was only mediocre up until the ridiculous scene with the Golden Gate Bridge. Then it just shot straight to hell. Juggernaut's line would've been funny, but by that point I was just annoyed that I'd spent that much to see this on the big screen, and I could've sat at home and watched Con Air for my brainless fix.

First, "The Bad":

Nightcrawler: So he's not here. Not a big deal in itself. But he was so important in X2, even a throwaway line like "Man, I wish Kurt was here" could've done wonders.

Beast: Yes, he was well-done, but that's not my complaint. He was totally wasted. He's the new mutant getting all the attention, and he didn't do a tremendous amount. And there wasn't any real character development. It was a waste of a fine character and a fine actor. This wasn't Alan Cumming as Nightcrawler by a long shot, and it could've been.

Angel: Why the hell was he in this? Absolutely no reason. The opening scene with him trying to cut off his wings gave me some hope, but it went absolutely nowhere.

Kitty Pryde: I guess the third actress is the charm here. Again, no reason to have her. No development whatsoever.

And, seriously, forget my biases regarding certain characters. We see both Jubilee and Siryn again, in Kitty's class. We know from X-Men that Jubilee's powers manifested themselves before or at the same time as Kitty's. And Siryn looks to be around the same age. Let's see. . . . Going into battle, three teenaged girls to choose from, for some odd reason I can only take one. Do I take the one with incredible sonic powers, the one who shoots explosives (or sparks, as the cut scene from X2 suggests), or the one who can become noncorporeal?

Colossus, Juggernaut, Multiple Man: Same reason. No point, no development.

The lack of tension over the cure: First, Hank sees his hand turn normal, and the look on his face shows some real conflict within himself. Then the brief exchange between Rogue, Storm, and Beast about whether a "cure" was really a "cure." That should've been the springboard for two full hours of characterization. But there was no characterization in the film, so it wasn't.

Cyclops: Five minutes, and he's dead. Not even a death scene. What a ripoff.

Xavier: First, it bugged me that he accused Wolverine of freeing Jean. He's a frigging telepath; he should've been able to sense what had really happened. And his death scene was totally emotionless, like the rest of the film. I complained about the lack of emotion in Padme's death, but it was better done than Xavier's.

Phoenix: First, this "writer" and "director" totally ignored what Singer had set up in the first two films for this new explanation about Jean being a schizo. Second, I know the story itself has to be changed, but the knowledge of love was what destroyed the comic book Dark Phoenix. You can't start off with her killing Scott and go anywhere from there. Change the details, stay true to the heart. That's the secret to a good comic book movie.

The anti-mutant weapons: Okay, plastic guns. I can buy that. But what the hell are these needles made of? Riddle me that, Batman.

Rogue: No character development again, and what's with her coming back to school? "Uh hyuh hyuk, I'm the token human now!!"

Her cure seemed like a convenient plot device to take her out of the action, as she could easily have dealt with Jean or Juggernaut early on.

Alcatraz: Minor detail, but explain how a national park became a privately owned lab, for crying out loud.

Mutant tattoos: What did I miss? Was this brought up somewhere in X-Men or X2, and somehow I've been in the bathroom during that scene every time I've watched them?

The bridge: My God, that may be the single dumbest scene in film history. Let me think. Jar Jar stepping in poop? Ramirez unexplainedly coming back from the dead because Christopher Lambert yells his name? Yep, this takes the cake. The bridge buckles, but doesn't break, and Magneto just happens to guess the right length. I'd have preferred they all wore tutus, commandeered a speedboat, and waterskiied to Alcatraz while singing the Go-Go's "Vacation."

There was some good, though.

Overall, the effects were gorgeous. Even the stupid bridge scene looked good. Only one shot of Beast jumping from the roof of Alcatraz and a few shots where Colossus was too shiny were iffy.

The early scene of Angel was excellent, and should've set the stage for a worthy third X-Men movie.

Rebecca Romijn looks incredibly hot with dark hair, especially butt naked. :beard:

I saw a set of triplets in the mansion I suspect to be the Stepford Cuckoos, so my guess is they didn't completely get rid of cool background cameos.

The last scene with Magneto in the park, with no one to play chess with, was easily the most powerful scene in the film. Well, until the stupid bit where he moves the king with his powers, since apparently he still has them.

Overall, I'd give this a C. It was really disappointing since, even with low expectations, I wanted at least a B since it was continuing two of the three greatest comic book films ever. Not a bad popcorn movie, but I grew out of paying for popcorn movies at the theater when tickets starting skyrocketing a few years ago.

plasticfetish
06-11-2006, 12:42 AM
A thread about a third X-Men movie? Man, that'd be cool! Hopefully now that Bryan Singer's done with Superman Returns, he can work on one. Because that Phoenix in the water has to be dealt with, and we know the team is going to rock harder with both Colossus and Nightcrawler on board!!I was just kind of half-reading this from my e-mail inbox, and I'm thinking... what the hell is wrong with him?!? Then I scrolled down. :D

Yeah, I agree with everything. I think I'd only give it a C- though... a bit below average. So many blown oportunities with this one. I really wanted to see that big flaming phoenix rise up over Alcatraz at the end there, but... oh well.

(Funniest thing, is my wife suggesting that in the Magneto movie, we discover how he and Professor X first fell in love.)

----------

You know, every time I watch Daredevil, I like it. It suffers from the same thing though. It's too mediocre. Spiderman is great because it's larger than life... the city is a big part of the film, and Daredevil needs to be a part of something like that.