PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Episode 2 now?

Tycho
09-29-2003, 02:10 AM
Long after the movie's left theaters, and the DVD release hype has passed,
how do you feel about Episode 2?

2-1B
09-29-2003, 02:26 AM
It's still my favorite, thanks for asking. :)

chrisc
09-29-2003, 09:29 AM
It was allright! to many special effects!

Exhaust Port
09-29-2003, 09:32 AM
I still don't personally own it on DVD but I still love watching it when I can on cable. I'm still up in the air whether or not I would call this movie my favorite but it's definately a contender.

ronhudy
09-29-2003, 10:56 AM
I guess this movie was alright, if not compared to the original trilogy. The only thing that really turned me off about this movie was Anakin's behavior. For 90% of the movie, he acts like a brat, then suddenly Amidala is in love with him, and by the end of the movie, they're married! And they limited that to a 30 second scene!They should've built upon their relationship more, made it more gradual, as it really is the basis for the whole storyline.

James Boba Fettfield
09-29-2003, 11:03 AM
I liked it better than Episode one, but it's not greater than the the originals. I still feel the same way I did about it then as I do now, but with less enthusiasm for the film. That is, I like watching it, but I don't get that same thrill when I watch it now.

billfremore
09-29-2003, 12:18 PM
I liked it, and I think it built nicely on the groundwork laid in Episode 1.

As for Anakin's whiney behaviour, nice to see like father, like son

Pendo
09-29-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm not as fond of it as I once was, and to be honest I now feel that I prefer The Phantom Menace. Unlike all the other Star Wars movies I don't feel like I can watch AOTC again, and again, and again as much as I can with TPM and the other movies. It's still an enjoyable movie, but not as enjoyable now that it has settled down into the Star Wars universe.

PENDO!

Mandalorian Candidat
09-29-2003, 02:51 PM
I have to agree with Pendo. After watching the DVD once or twice I'm just not into it like the other flicks. I can't watch the whole thing anymore, just the action sequences. After finally watching the commentary a month ago I got really turned off. Boy did it blow big time. Too much Ricky-dick, Pablo and the gang and not enough GLu and Burtt: the only two interesting ones in the whole bunch.

bobafrett
09-29-2003, 02:51 PM
I feel the same as JBF. I like it better the Episode 1, but it doesn't come close to the OT. I love the OT, and had EP I & II came out when I was a kid, I can't say that I'd like Star Wars as much as I do now. I think George Lucas got a little to old before he made TPM and AOTC. Whhen he made the OT everything was fresh and exciting, or maybe I've just become old and my visions of what I thought the first two movies would be like don't match what we got.

Devo
09-29-2003, 03:10 PM
I voted it as 'better than TPM' but thats not saying much. There's some good battle scenes and thats it. The only thing that sets it above TPM is that Jar Jar has less screen time. Every other criticism ever levelled at TPM still applies as far I'm concerned.

Billy_Dee_Binks
09-29-2003, 03:19 PM
I really like it. Sadly it didnīt get the credit it deserved.
So did TPM. AOTC left theatres way too fast.

Darth Spectre
09-29-2003, 03:27 PM
I voted that I liked it better than several of the other SW movies, which I did. I think it is much better than TPM and slightly better than ROTJ. It would rank 3rd right now for me, behind Empire and New Hope, but I suspect it will drop to 4th once Ep. III comes out.

Rogue II
09-29-2003, 03:35 PM
I can't really say that I liked it better than Episode I, but I also can't really say it sucked. So, I went with "It brought everything down another notch." Even though I've grown to accept Episode I, I just can't get into this movie. Thank the maker that Lucas isn't doing 9 episodes as planned.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is everything I hoped the Star Wars Prequel trilogy would be.

Jaff
09-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Episode II is my least favorite movie of the bunch to date. It's standard to me was special effects with a pace. I liked episode I much more, and I really don't think Episode II stunk.

Darth Spectre
09-29-2003, 04:55 PM
For those this is applicable to, just out of curiousity, what exactly makes you like TPM more than AOTC? I find TPM pretty painful to watch these days and that is the only SW movie I can say that about. The list of things I don't like or have a problem with about TPM is very very long...perhaps even more than Jedi which is the film I disliked the most before that one.

see3poman
09-29-2003, 05:00 PM
I can't really say that I liked it better than Episode I, but I also can't really say it sucked. So, I went with "It brought everything down another notch." Even though I've grown to accept Episode I, I just can't get into this movie. Thank the maker that Lucas isn't doing 9 episodes as planned.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is everything I hoped the Star Wars Prequel trilogy would be.

You said it. Even though I wimped out and said it was better than EPI.
The LOTR trilogy is amazing, and it has everything that made the original Star Wars trilogy magic. If only George Lucas wasn't directing EPIII, Peter Jackson would have been too cool as director.
I'm not sure it's that George Lucas got old, like Boba Frett says in his post, but
it's like he got politically correct, as in the horrible Greedo/Han censorship in "A New Hope:Special Edition". Of course if Lucas had actors that could actually act as good as the original trilogy cast, (droids excluded) he might have made a better pic. MTFBWY

Darth Spectre
09-29-2003, 05:10 PM
You said it. Even though I wimped out and said it was better than EPI.
The LOTR trilogy is amazing, and it has everything that made the original Star Wars trilogy magic. If only George Lucas wasn't directing EPIII, Peter Jackson would have been too cool as director.
I'm not sure it's that George Lucas got old, like Boba Frett says in his post, but
it's like he got politically correct, as in the horrible Greedo/Han censorship in "A New Hope:Special Edition". Of course if Lucas had actors that could actually act as good as the original trilogy cast, (droids excluded) he might have made a better pic. MTFBWY

It is more the writing and forced chemistry than the acting itself. Ewan is fine, and if one has ever seen Natalie Portman in other movies (especially the Professional) it is clear she is a fine actress. It is hard to figure out why some of the actors come across so rigidly. Unless they just don't really like or respect the material they are doing, or it isn't what they expected it to be.

Rogue II
09-29-2003, 06:08 PM
For those this is applicable to, just out of curiousity, what exactly makes you like TPM more than AOTC? I find TPM pretty painful to watch these days and that is the only SW movie I can say that about. The list of things I don't like or have a problem with about TPM is very very long...perhaps even more than Jedi which is the film I disliked the most before that one.

I can't believe I'm actually about to protect TPM, but here it goes. :crazed: Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. The Darth Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon lightsaber battle was the best in the Saga. The battle on Naboo was better than the battle in Geonosis because, when I watched ATOC, the battle scene seemed more like a video game trailer than a movie. In fact, the last time I watched ATOC, I fell asleep during the battle scene. Anakin in TMP was not as nearly as annoying as Anakin in ATOC. 3PO's droid factory scene was awful. And, I finally got over hating Jar Jar Binks. Both films have their faults, like bad CGI in certain places and cheesy dialogue. There are more reasons, but they really don't matter.

Of course, I still prefer the OT over the PT any day. :)

TheDarthVader
09-29-2003, 06:48 PM
I like A New Hope best, followed by The Phantom Menace. I also like AOTC. Because Star Wars movies are some of my favorite movies, I voted for loved it, one of my favorites. Unlike some, I like the PT. I am glad Lucas is going back and making these movies! :)

plo koon 200
09-29-2003, 06:57 PM
My least favorite film is AOTC. It feels like I'm watching a video game. Admit it, the special effects suck. The love story could also use development. I like TPM a lot more. It dosen't look as fake and Qui-Gon is a more developed character than any character in AOTC. BTW, LOTR is okay but not great. I personally find TTT to be boring and I find the Helm's Deep battle sequence to be lacking and that puts me to sleep. I can imagine and have imagined battles a zillion times greater than that. I know in the book the battle didn't amount to much and on film the battle does not amount much to me.

plasticfetish
09-29-2003, 07:54 PM
Um, err ... it's one of my favorite Star Wars prequel episodes.

derek
09-29-2003, 08:20 PM
i voted that it sucked........i would of choose stinksbut that wasn't an option. :D ;) :o :( :crazed: :zzz: :sur: :evil: :cry: :kiss: :dead: :) :mad: :eek: :frus: :greedy: :Pirate: :happy: :stupid: :rolleyes: :cool: :p

Turambar
09-29-2003, 08:23 PM
I voted it better than E1, but that's really a toss up.
There's just no substance beneath all the video game action.
LOTR rules! I read an article this summer about how LOTR is the star wars trilogy of this era. It has really satisfied me.

plasticfetish
09-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Um, err ... LOTR is one of my favorite LOTR trilogies.

JediTricks
09-29-2003, 09:54 PM
For those this is applicable to, just out of curiousity, what exactly makes you like TPM more than AOTC? I find TPM pretty painful to watch these days and that is the only SW movie I can say that about. I find both TPM and AOTC unwatchable these days, but I viewed TPM 4 times as often as AOTC in theaters. AOTC has all the flashy effects and violence, but it lacks any cohesion, has the worst pacing of any SW movie to date, the direction is non-existant, and the artificial world of AOTC (the myriad of CG sets) repulses me when I see the actors who are supposed to be living within it - because mainly, they don't convince me that they do at all. Don't get me wrong, I didn't love TPM, but it had a little more spirit and more real sets and props, and I'll even claim it was a little more coherent. Like Plo Koon 200 said, AOTC is like watching a video game, it's not all that engrossing to watch someone play Mega Man for over 2 hours.

Oh, and I really do feel the film brought the whole saga down a little.

Tycho
09-29-2003, 10:32 PM
I loved AOTC. I voted that it is amongst several of my favorite SW films, because from time to time my favorite changes.

I'll get into one SW movie (or even another good movie I like that's not SW), and I'll watch it a for a few weeks (that is once every few days, I'll put it on or pay it some or all of my attention at the end of a day I guess).

Anyway, that movie will be my favorite for a while, and then I'll get sick of watching it.

Know what SW movie I really like watching right now? Return of the Jedi.

I could easily sit through 2 playings back to back if I had that kind of time.

It once was that way with AOTC, and might be that way again if I don't have any other movie I'm into watching a lot. (Just got over a Civil War movie phase I was going through, Gettysburg, etc.)

What I liked about AOTC was its realism.

I totally relate to trying to get with this or that girl that I've always wanted - the way Anakin pursues Padme. "I'm in agony. My heart is beating so rapidly. I can't breathe." Of course I realize that if only my fortunes would change and I would get locked in a pit with giant monsters and I save my love straight from the jaws of death, I'd win the girl I want, too.

That fantasy is great, seen realized in AOTC.

That Anakin whines and complains "it's not fair" is so real. That's why kids in inner cities commit murders and turn to crime. You're supposed to work for things you want like designer basketball shoes? Nah! It's not fair! If you turn to crime and betray your society and live outside the laws you can have everything you'll want. First you might need a Gang. Anakin calls his the Imperials. Very logical.

That Obi-Wan doesn't have everything he wants - like Qui-Gon back - or to sit on the High Council and tell Yoda what to do for once - doesn't set him off.

People become who they're going to be as they shape their character at a young age. Darth Vader is a man out to have everything he wants when he wants it. So where does he get his motivation? From a balanced Jedi perspective that enforces complacency and acceptance of one's lot in life? Where the Force takes you?

No. Anakin is exactly the way he is realistically supposed to be.

There's more. The Clone Wars begin SW movies where WAR is the main focus, too. Remember the Prequels, they are NOT at war. Naboo was an isolated incident. It took a lot to provoke that fight. Speeder chases with small-time bounty hunters and isolated one-on-one fights with Jedi happen all the time, too. Until Geonosis, there was no reason for constant battle in the SW universe, as we see when the Stormtroopers board the Tantive IV, at Hoth, and a planned attack and trap such as the one layed out at Endor.

Understand this:

The galaxy is not at war. There is no Star Wars, until the last 20-30 minutes on Geonosis in Episode 2. Then there is a reason why the Original Trilogy is different.

Darth Spectre
09-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Lightsaber duel was the only real highlight. I liked Geonosis battle much better than Naboo. Maybe Anakin was better in TPM, but they made Obi-Wan out to be more whiny than we had seen before (and I know he is younger, but still...he also was greatly underused). I saw TPM about 4 times in movies, and had trouble sitting through it after the 3rd. I saw AOTC 5 times in movies and never had that reaction. I just think it is simply a lot closer to what a Star Wars movie is supposed to be or what one was in the past, then the slow, drawn out Episode I. I think the Pod Race is more like a video game than Geonosis battle personally, and I found that scene (pod race) to be a lot more boring.

Rogue II
09-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Lightsaber duel was the only real highlight. I liked Geonosis battle much better than Naboo. Maybe Anakin was better in TPM, but they made Obi-Wan out to be more whiny than we had seen before (and I know he is younger, but still...he also was greatly underused). I saw TPM about 4 times in movies, and had trouble sitting through it after the 3rd. I saw AOTC 5 times in movies and never had that reaction. I just think it is simply a lot closer to what a Star Wars movie is supposed to be or what one was in the past, then the slow, drawn out Episode I. I think the Pod Race is more like a video game than Geonosis battle personally, and I found that scene (pod race) to be a lot more boring.

Either way. Neither Episode 1 or 2 are all that great. I won't say "they suck," but they were both dissapointments. Sure, each film had a couple cool little things in them, but overall...meh. The only reason I saw TPM a 2nd time in the theater is because I couldn't believe I waited 17 years to see that. The pod race scene was ok, although it had a predictable outcome. I only saw ATOC once in the theater and that was plenty. This movie made Obi-Wan look like an idiot since he had to have a 6 year old tell him that someone deleted Kamino from the records. Not to mention Jango Fett having to bump his head so he could be like the stormtroopers in ANH:rolleyes:.

...and the other thing LOTR has over the prequels...3 films in 3 years!

2-1B
09-30-2003, 12:51 AM
I agree with the beatification of LOTR as "the new Star Wars" because I find the Hobbits to be as annoying as the Ewoks are to other SW fans. :)

plasticfetish
09-30-2003, 02:01 AM
Sure, each film had a couple cool little things in them...
That's pretty much where I'm at with the prequels right now. Honestly, I enjoy watching them because they're full of amazing imagery, but they don't have the same spirit as the OT.

AOTC is a fun film. There's a lot to look at and there are parts of it that are just amazing. Kamino is super ... that entire part of the film is great and maybe flawless. Geonosis is great also, the scenes of Obi-Wan sneaking around or the scenes with Christopher Lee are really nice. There's a lot of great elements for sure. But, that reminds me of something one of my art professors in college used to say when looking over one of my drawings ... he'd point at one part and say, "that's a nice part" and then he'd point somewhere else and say, "that bit's nice also." After a while you'd get the idea, he was trying to tell you that no matter how many clever "bits and parts" that you had, if the whole thing didn't work, you had a mediocre drawing. I feel the same way with AOTC and for sure with TPM. There's parts in both movies that I love to look at, but I don't love watching them as a whole like I do with say "Jedi". It's funny, like Tycho said, I'm really into Return of the Jedi right now also. There's so much to look at from start to finish, but the pacing doesn't snap your neck ... and when it's over, we've really gotten somewhere. Same thing with the rest of the OT. Each one is a specific part of this wonderful mythic science fiction story. I really miss the fact that the prequels don't have the same message and don't rely on the myth structure like the OT does. I think, that's pretty much what I mean by "not having the same spirit." I'd easily trade all of the clever bits and parts for a cohesive and simply inspiring story.

jedihunter25
09-30-2003, 02:13 AM
This is my order of favorite to least favorite on the Star Wars films-

1. ESB
2. AOTC
3. ANH
4. ROTJ
5. TPM

As you can see AOTC is my 2nd favorite and it's the one I watch the most now. For some strange reason it seems to be missing something for being the 2nd movie. There are some slow parts too. The part where C3PO lived with the Lars family for a few years (and Owen didn't know 3PO in ANH) threw the storyline off alittle there.

From what I heard of Ep.3, it sounds like the best one out of the whole Trilogy.

jedibear
10-01-2003, 02:28 AM
....til Tycho snapped me out of it with his comments on AOTC.

I LOVE the prequels. I love the original trilogy too. I think that when it's all said and done, the prequel episodes will stand the test of time unlike alot of the other pop-sci/fi-fantasy stuff of late that has so jaded the younger folks posting here.

It's not about one series of film being better than the other (the endless LOTR vs. SW vs. Matrix vs. flavor of the month is so tired). I'm thrilled that the sucess of one has allowed for the success of others. What a great time to be a fan of fantasy and sci-fi movies right now! And believe me, the SW saga holds it's own with all the Johnny-come-latelys...

I think AOTC is getting better with the passage of time, just as PM did (as many of you admitted here in this thread). I won't be suprised if after EpIII hits, that many folks who say they don't like AOTC that much will start "getting it" after seeing what the final installment adds to the mix...

Three "yub yubs" for AOTC!

Devo
10-01-2003, 04:18 PM
I think AOTC is getting better with the passage of time, just as PM did (as many of you admitted here in this thread)

Well don't count me among that number. For me its quite the opposite, TPM got more and more infuriating each time I watched it. Likewise I expect for AOTC. They're utterly soulless films IMO. Lucas put far too much focus on the technology behind the prequels. Someone should have stopped him and said 'look George, not every single scene needs CGI in it, that chair in the background doesn't need to be digitally added-we can actually build it using real materials, actors won't need to 'pretend' they're interacting with it because they actually will be and therefore we'll be more convinced by them'. The OT benefitted from a relative lack of money and technology. They had the right balance between effects, story(even if Jedi was a rehash of ANH), script, and some half decent acting.

Dago-BAH
10-01-2003, 04:44 PM
I'm a Star Wars fan first. But why all the LOTR talk and no Matrix talk? I've heard the Matrix trilogy called the Star Wars of today way more than the LOTR trilogy. And the ending of Reloaded reminds me of Empire. Both end ominously, and you leave the theater questioning whether what you saw really happened and wanting to know more.

Don't get me wrong, I love all three fanchises, but.... When LOTR and the Matrix blow there load early, what trilogy/saga will we have to look forward to? Star Wars! E3 is going to blow them all away!

jjreason
10-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Although the romance wasn't as smoothly written or acted as Han and Leia, AOTC is one of my SW favourites. I thought the action sequences in this movie surpassed pretty much everything we've seen to this point, with the exception of Hoth (my sentimental favourite location, battle, environment - everything basically). Great sets, great visuals, amazingly good CG (for the most part) - I love AOTC. it's great! :)

JediTricks
10-01-2003, 07:13 PM
I think AOTC is getting better with the passage of time, just as PM did (as many of you admitted here in this thread). Like Devo, don't count me in that group either, TPM hasn't gotten better for me, I simply like AOTC less than TPM and I don't like TPM very much at all.

Dago-BAH, I really liked The Matrix, but Reloaded didn't work for me, I felt like it fell flat trying to do so much at once. I came away from that film feeling nothing, it wasn't fantastic like the first one but it wasn't terrible like The Mummy Returns - it just "was".

Turbowars
10-01-2003, 09:56 PM
First off, the Matrix sucked big time. Thats 2+ hours of my life I want back. I liked AOTC better than TPM, but both rate the lowest of my list. ESB all the way. I don't understand why anyone likes EP1 or 2 over the OT. My wife is one of them. I mean she'll watch AOTC evertime it's on HBO. That's when I walk out of the room and log on. I don't hate it, but I do hate Annie! It's all Obi won's fault!! I mean come on. He'a adult and acting like a baby in front of a beauiful ex Queen.:confused: I think is so lame that she falls for it, but It had to happen and fast.