PDA

View Full Version : 'Alien Vs. Predator' News!!

Beast
09-29-2003, 01:48 AM
I swore we had a thread dedicated to this upcoming movie, but amazingly we don't really have one. Just several mentions of it in a couple Alien threads. Well, as we all heard there will be a teaser trailer attached to the ALIEN: Director's Cut that comes out this Halloween. But we have our first bit of casting news.

As you all may or may not know, this is supposed to be set roughly around current time. And I find the addition of Lance Henriksen to the cast quite intresting. I'm betting that he steals technology from the pyramid that allows him to create the Bishop series androids. And I find it intresting they used a pyramid, as the original design plans for ALIEN had a pyramid full of eggs on LV-426. :cool: :D

Alien vs Predator (Current Release Date: 8/6/2004)
Set in the early 21st century (ie, now), this movie follows a team of drillers, scientists and archaeologists who travel to Antarctica to investigate ancient pyramid ruins buried deep beneath the ice which predate those in Egypt and Mexico, suggesting they were once the home of a great empire that ruled over the Earth first. When they finally reach one of the pyramids, however, they discover human skeletons and fossilized remains of alien creatures that appear to hug faces and burst out of chests (wink wink), along with evidence that such aliens may still be alive somewhere in the ruins. The danger below them is frightening, but what the scientists also don't know is that something as dangerous lurks above them, happy to have had someone open up the Aliens uncovered: Predators.

Lance Henriksen Cast in Alien vs. Predator!
Source: Variety Monday, September 29, 2003

Actor Lance Henriksen, who played Bishop in the Alien films, has become the first actor cast in Alien vs. Predator, Fox's upcoming matchup between two cult characters.

Henriksen will portray a billionaire industrialist who finances an expedition to the Antarctic to uncover an ancient pyramid and insists on joining the scientists on the journey. When they arrive, they discover two alien races engaged in the ultimate battle.

Paul W.S. Anderson is directing the film, Shane Salerno and Anderson wrote the script. The movie begins shooting late October in Prague.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
09-29-2003, 05:39 AM
Sounds dang cool!!!!!!!!!!:crazed: I like the use of Antartica housing an ancient civilization. Theory--Atlantis motif...alright!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exhaust Port
09-29-2003, 08:28 AM
I don't know, the last time we had the "aliens buried in Antartica" senerio it was in that awful X-files movie.

About this movie, I'm disappointed that they placed it on earth and that they placed it during current time. This means that humans had exposure to the Aliens creature well before the future time of Alien/Aliens. I'm not a big fan of these plot additions that are miraculously erased from the memory banks to allow pre-existing movie plots. It's like the Borg appearing in the current Star Trek show. :rolleyes: Plus having aliens appear on Earth for the first time is a big plot development for the next Alien movie, which takes place well into the future.

I would be alright with it if they had it take place on a different planet in the not so distant future, but not Earth.

scruffziller
09-29-2003, 09:02 AM
It's like the Borg appearing in the current Star Trek show. :rolleyes:
That is why the theory going around now is that Entrerprise is not about the history of the ST universe as we know it but of the Mirror Universe. Even in one of Shatner's novels he mentions that when the public was made aware of the existence of the Borg coming to the past it created the Mirror Universe.

Anakin2121
09-29-2003, 10:09 AM
If shooting doesn't even start until October, how could they already have a teaser trailer by then?

James Boba Fettfield
09-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Teaser trailers don't have to show any actual footage from the film. That's why it's a teaser. They might show a picture of the predator and alien and say Coming Soon or whatever.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Yeah, it sounds like a stretch. The whole concept is that these things are "ALIENS" hence non-terrestial entities. And I don't want any smart-A saying they could still be alien and were brought here ages ago. This is a cheap plot device just to make a cartoon/comic book into a movie. Please Hollywood screenwriters, get a life and some originality.

James Boba Fettfield
09-29-2003, 10:19 AM
That's what I'm thinking, too, MC. I don't expect the movie to really add anything to the series of either one, it's just going to be a movie where Predators and Aliens get to fight to the delight of audiences. Whether or not it'll be good, I don't know. I look at this movie like a comic book series. Like when the Predators took on Skynet or when Robocop fought Skynet in that video game, it's just something to show what might happen if they ever met. Is this good or bad? We'll find out when we see the movie.

scruffziller
09-29-2003, 11:52 AM
That's what I'm thinking, too, MC. I don't expect the movie to really add anything to the series of either one, it's just going to be a movie where Predators and Aliens get to fight to the delight of audiences. Whether or not it'll be good, I don't know. I look at this movie like a comic book series. Like when the Predators took on Skynet or when Robocop fought Skynet in that video game, it's just something to show what might happen if they ever met. Is this good or bad? We'll find out when we see the movie.
Well they sure as heck pulled it off in Freddy vs Jason. That was in no way even close to a letdown.:happy:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Uh, why did they cast Bishop in this flick? I don't get that. You would think that they would maybe get some fresh faces in the Alien Saga. Hell, you might as well bring back Hudson so he can yell "Game over man!" for 20 minutes. Why not bring back Newt as well, give her some artillery too.

I couldn't careless about the time of the film as long as it's a good story. As long as the story is solid, it could take place in 1865 for all i care. :D

Exhaust Port
09-29-2003, 12:53 PM
I don't expect the movie to really add anything to the series of either one, it's just going to be a movie where Predators and Aliens get to fight to the delight of audiences.
The only thing that could be considered canon for the premise comes from the comic book series. It's true that this theme has been pretty exciting for the sci-fi fans out there ever since the skull of an Alien was seen in Predator 2. Why do they feel the need to destroy the previously established universes for both Predator and Alien in the process. There's no need for it other than it allows them to be lazy and ends up ticking off fans of the lines.

If fans wanted to the SW and ST universes come to gether in a one off movie we'd want it to be done in a way that wouldn't contradict either. Don't just say the Enterprise and a Star Destroyer amazingly appeared in orbit around modern Earth. Writers taking their own liberties with stuff like this is what destroys franchises. It's why I hated Alien 3 so much as they killed off the previous characters for no reason other than to serve their own lame plot shift.

stillakid
09-29-2003, 01:37 PM
Please Hollywood screenwriters, get a life and some originality.

I don't know the facts on this particular project, but generally, the moronic decisions are coming from studio execs and other like-minded producers. They "know" what the public is dying to see, then they hire a stream of writers to hash out the details of what their "marketing strategies" tell them will produce a blockbuster.

Sure, on some level the screenwriter is culpable as an paid accomplice, but most of the time they are fighting the good fight but somebody else holds the checkbook.

Mandalorian Candidat
09-29-2003, 01:56 PM
Hell, you might as well bring back Hudson so he can yell "Game over man!" for 20 minutes. Why not bring back Newt as well, give her some artillery too.

LOL! How about a Hudson vs. Vasquez feature instead? It would be a lot more entertaining.

Hudson: Hey Vasquez! Have you ever been mistaken for a man?

Vasquez: No. Have you?

And so on... :D

Beast
09-29-2003, 02:04 PM
I sort of like the inclusion of Lance in the Alien Vs. Predator film. Better that then some ancestor of Ellen Ripley. Besides, it gives us some intresting backstory on the Alien Saga. Especially with the announcement of who Lance Henriksen is playing. He's Mr. Weyland, founder of the Weyland Corporation. Who will later merge with the Yutani Corporation to form Weyland-Yutani, the 'Company' from the ALIEN series. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lman316
09-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Wow... *shakes head* I was really hoping that the rumors were false on this one. I share sentiments with most of the people on this thread and I can't believe how badly they're going to ruin this movie...
I have never been a fan of Anderson. I think he ruined Resident Evil and it looks like he's going to do it again.

I agree that these people are intent on destroying continuity. I mean, I guess it's not written in stone, but I was under the assumption that Predators only came in times of extreme heat and conflict... So, Antartica? Makes sense.

I would have prefered something like this: somehow the Predators find the original planet (maybe the same distress call that brought Ripley and her crew in Alien). Maybe they've heard of the species before, they know what the aliens are capable of. And since they'd be worthy prey (the whole point that the Alien Vs. Predator idea ever came about), they'd "harvest" the eggs. Take them to a remote planet (like I saw in a few of the comics) and supply a few victims to get the ball rolling.

And the rumors I hear on Predator 3 don't sound promising either. I think I heard something about Dutch (whether they can get Arnold or not) and Danny Glover's character coming back, fighting Predators on their homeworld... Yipes.
How about this: A Predator would fight the ultimate opponent... another Predator. You pit two of them against each other and I'm sure there'd be a decent movie in it.

End...

Exhaust Port
09-29-2003, 03:34 PM
I would have prefered something like this: somehow the Predators find the original planet (maybe the same distress call that brought Ripley and her crew in Alien). Maybe they've heard of the species before, they know what the aliens are capable of. And since they'd be worthy prey (the whole point that the Alien Vs. Predator idea ever came about), they'd "harvest" the eggs. Take them to a remote planet (like I saw in a few of the comics) and supply a few victims to get the ball rolling.
That is how I saw the movie coming about as well. I was hoping not to see much, if any human interaction with the plot.

Lman316
09-29-2003, 05:04 PM
I think the only reason that humans "have" to be in the movie is for "dramatic need." I read in a screenplay book once that having no dialogue just doesn't work. And since niether the aliens or the Predators (in any language that we can understand) talk, a movie with just those two would be lacking. I disagree with that because subtitles could obviously be used, and I honestly would like to see a movie with little dialogue - I would like to see something different.

And I definitely agree with Stillakid. There are many writers out there trying to make differences in film. But the directors and producers come in and start changing things around because they think they know what they're doing. Half the time they're right, and half the time they're wrong. This time, they're wrong... dead wrong. :p

End...

stillakid
09-29-2003, 06:28 PM
I think the only reason that humans "have" to be in the movie is for "dramatic need." I read in a screenplay book once that having no dialogue just doesn't work. And since niether the aliens or the Predators (in any language that we can understand) talk, a movie with just those two would be lacking. I disagree with that because subtitles could obviously be used, and I honestly would like to see a movie with little dialogue - I would like to see something different...

Ever see the Wookie part of the Holiday Special? :cry:

But beyond that, the vast majority of moviegoers respond to stories in which they can relate to on some kind of personal level. No matter what kind of eye candy is being slung across the screen, if there aren't some characters with whom we can empathize with, it'll be as entertaining as watching somebody else play a video game. While it might be interesting to see those two alien species have at it for a couple hours, who would we be rooting for to win?

jpak001
09-29-2003, 11:56 PM
Yeah, this doesn't sound very promising.... but I'll still try to go in with an open mind.

The whole Antarctic/Earth thing just doesn't sit well with me either. I was really hoping they would base this on the original Dark Horse mini-series. The "harvesting aliens to hunt & earn passage to manhood" plot really fit well with the predator/alien continuity. And they had some human drama in the original comic series too, there was that human colony trying to get by on that planet (silly humans got stuck in the middle of the hunt).

The only thing that was cheesy about the comic was that girl who became an "honorary predator". They could have erased the "predator girl", then done the flick exactly like the comic IMO.

But who knows, mabye they'll be able to pull this off. We'll have to wait and see!

RooJay
09-30-2003, 12:00 AM
In my opinion, Lance Henriksen's involvement with this film is the only good news about the project I've heard so far. :frus: :dead:

Jedi Tech
09-30-2003, 12:14 AM
In my opinion, Lance Henriksen's involvement with this film is the only good news about the project I've heard so far. :frus: :dead:

Yes another terribly under-rated actor. Although I'm not a fan of these types of movies (Freddy VS Jason) and the current one we are talking about, I will however watch them both when the come out on DVD if nothing else out there is available rental wise.

Beast
10-03-2003, 03:59 PM
A bit more news about the film, from Dark Horizon:

Aliens vs. Predator: Expect a hybrid Alien/Predator (with tail) and marine jumpsuits with permanent gun attachments according to the latest gossip from the pre-production annals.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Anakin2121
10-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Jar Jar,

Maybe this means we can expect a "PredAlien" as seen in the marvelous "Aliens versus Predator" PC games. :)

Exhaust Port
10-04-2003, 08:20 AM
Ugh, this is getting worse and worse.

evenflow
10-04-2003, 09:07 AM
Well I hope this happens, i have been waiting for this for a while.

Beast
10-21-2003, 02:09 AM
A bit more info about the upcoming film was revealed at the LA Comic Convention on Saturday. The info is from SuperheroHype.com. :)

Alien vs. Predator Story Details!!
Source: J-MAN Monday, October 20, 2003

The J-MAN sends us this tidbit about the upcoming Alien vs. Predator film... Be warned there are spoilers!

This past weekend I attended the LA Comic Book Convention. There was a short video presentation on the upcoming Alien vs. Predator, the presentation included a 10-minute short with the director (Paul Anderson) where he were showed storyboards, and tons of production illustrations from the film. The film we were told starts shooting in Prague next week.

Anderson described some of the artwork and hinted at the plot of the film. He told us the film opens 5000 years ago at an Aztec temple... we are told the temples throughout the world were created for the purpose of welcoming "aliens" to earth... and a team of teenaged Predators are at the temple for a "becoming a man" ritual, where if they survive a host of deadly Aliens they will become men, well PREDATORS...

Well everything goes wrong and the three Predators face literally an army of thousands of aliens at the temple and faced with certain death they activate their self-destructs, completely destroying the aliens, the temple and any of the local inhabitants. Guess know we know now what happened to the Aztecs!

Fast forward to the present day as a band of scientists in the Arctic find a very similar temple and are soon caught in the middle of another "ritual" with five young Predators and a bunch of nasty Aliens.

Anderson tells us there is plenty of knock down action, alien & predator deaths to keep everyone happy. He mentioned that he is the biggest Alien & Predator freak in the world, that he's seen them more than anyone and knows everything there is to know about the films. From what we saw (a video montage of clips from all the predator & alien films) this looks to be the best fan favorite team up since Freddy vs. Jason...

On a related note, director Sandy Collora was on hand to show BATMAN: Dead End... the crowd loved it and went nuts!
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
10-21-2003, 03:57 PM
Dark Horizons posted a similar story, but has some in-depth information about some of the weapons and plot ideas that were discussed. It seems to be coming along quite nicely. :)

As far as the story, we are told that in the past, the Predators used the the Aliens for hunting purposes, as a right of passage for the young Predator to become men (er, for lack of a better term). We see one such battle play out in an Aztec temple. Supposedly, the Predators were seen as Gods to the Aztec people (some shades of 'Stargate', it would seem), who built them their temples for worshipping and battle purposes. They showed some storyboards of one Predator defeating an Alien, holding its severed head in victory, as well as some boards where three Predator are overrun by thousands of Aliens, and upon realizing that they have clearly lost the battle, they activate their self-destruct. This is why so many ancient civilizations have been wiped out; Predator hunting failures.

Flash forward to present day, where a group of scientists have found one of the ancient Predator temples under an Antarctic icecap. The story revolves around 5 "teenage" Predators who are set to undergo their right of passage with the Aliens at this newly discovered temple, with the humans caught in the middle. There was also some brief discussion about the Predators testing out their new weapons technology. The video showed one example, a modified shuriken throwing star (apparently this weapon is 'in' again after 'Underworld'), which starts as a small handle with a trigger and expands into 6 elongated razor blades. This was actually pretty cool looking. Anyways, that pretty much rounded out the presentation. They quickly flashed some shots edited together from the two respective franchises, and rounded it out with a tagline (which may or may not be the final one), "Whoever wins...we lose." All in all, hard to tell too much about the final product from the small amount shown.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

kool-aid killer
10-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Sounds like it has the potential to be a very cool movie, but im skeptical as to how it will pan out in the end. So many people have been wanting to see this but i wonder if it will live up to our expectations. I will just have to wait and see.

RooJay
10-22-2003, 06:45 PM
It's already not living up to my expectations. Hopefully that first trailer might convince me otherwise.

Beast
10-23-2003, 05:17 PM
First pictures have appeared for Alien Vs. Predator. The first one, the logo for the film. It looks very similar to the Weyland-Yutani logo from the original films. The second one features our first look at the Alien and Predator designs for the movie. It appears to be part of a larger image, most likely the preview poster art. Also Ewen Bremner has joined the cast, and the budget is slated to be around $60 Million. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
10-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Sorry folks, looks like someone was trying to pull off a hoax. The Alien vs. Predator Logo and the Alien Vs. Predator Designs are both fake. Dark Horizons and Coming Soon have both pulled the images down. As they were reported as coming from the "Alien vs. Predator Extinction" Video Game Advert. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
10-23-2003, 06:55 PM
I was wondering why they had a human cut off in that pic with the alien and predator.

Anakin2121
10-24-2003, 09:46 AM
I knew those designs looked like something out of the games...

Beast
10-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Well, this one is true. Teaser posters for Alien vs. Predator are showing up in some theaters. There is two styles. One featuring the Alien and the other featuring the Predator. These will only be showing up in movie theaters from what I've heard, and not being sold through dealers. No pictures of the Predator one have turned up yet. But here's the Alien one in all it's glory. Looks sweet. :)

Edit - Found an image of both of the Teaser Posters from Alien Vs. Predator thanks to a boardmemeber on the Horror forums that I'm on. Looks pretty good. And I'm hearing really good things about the trailer that is attached to the ALIEN DC, now showing at select theaters. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
10-29-2003, 09:36 PM
The teaser trailer and a behind the scenes preview is up now on the official site. Still downloading it myself, but from what I heard it kicks arse. :)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/

MTFBWY and HH

odb
10-30-2003, 02:36 PM
The teaser trailer and a behind the scenes preview is up now on the official site. Still downloading it myself, but from what I heard it kicks arse. :)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/

MTFBWY and HH

Doesn't really show much, nothing we haven't seen before only the tag line, whoever wins....we lose.

As much as I want this film to work every thing points to a poor product (its being directed by Paul WS Anderson :frus: ).

Its a great shame as its got great source material.

RooJay
10-30-2003, 07:07 PM
Crap. :rolleyes:

plo koon 200
10-31-2003, 10:34 AM
It's just a teaser trailer. There is still another hope.

Anakin2121
10-31-2003, 02:25 PM
Holy !@#$%^&*!!!

That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Can't wait!

evenflow
10-31-2003, 02:46 PM
I don't know, but i am looking forward to this movie.

RooJay
10-31-2003, 03:04 PM
It's just a teaser trailer. There is still another hope.

How many hopes do you suppose this thing's gonna have, hmm? ;)

plo koon 200
10-31-2003, 03:20 PM
How many hopes do you suppose this thing's gonna have, hmm? ;)

I don't know but I know this hope has lasted for ten years ever since they said they were going to make the dang thing.

Beast
11-02-2003, 08:57 AM
The official 'Alien vs. Predator' website is now open. Follow the link, not much there at the moment. But I'm hyped for this movie, no matter what some people think of Paul WS Anderson. :)

http://www.avp-movie.com/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
12-17-2003, 01:02 PM
More news on the titanic battle of the beasts, from IGN Filmforce. Sounds pretty good. Still have some worry about the 'Charles Weyland' character. Since Anderson said again that he's supposed to be who the Bishop android was based on. Yet Bishop's creator made an apperance in Alien 3. But that could just be an ancestor. :)

Interview with AvP Director Paul Anderson
IGN goes on set in Prague for the filming of Alien vs Predator.

December 16, 2003 - IGN FilmForce recently made the jaunt across the Atlantic to the sunny city of Prague. Aside from the obvious plus of being in the Czech Republic during a frozen December, we also spent a number of days on the set of Fox's Alien vs. Predator. Written and directed by Paul Anderson (Resident Evil), the film brings together the beasts from the Predator and Alien franchises for some earth-bound ***-kicking. The film is looking absolutely brilliant!

We'll be rolling out our coverage from the visit all this week, but for now, how about some time with the director?

Paul Anderson, the man behind such films as Resident Evil, Event Horizon, Soldier, and Mortal Kombat is obviously happy to be finally shepherding a dream of his to the big screen after all of these years. Despite the "humongous pressure," Anderson says, "in one way, it's a dream come true. I saw Alien when I was a kid at school and I still I can't f**king believe I'm on set with an Alien. Every time I see Tom Woodruff in a suit, the Alien suit, I'm like 'Wow, It's an Alien. Excellent!' I'm a huge fan of Predator as well. I had the idea for the movie literally nine years ago, so the idea of being able to make a movie that you've been thinking about for such a long period of time is really a dream come true. At the same time, trying to follow in the footsteps of some of the best filmmakers of the world is incredibly intimidating and keeps me awake many nights."

Alien vs. Predator (or AvP) brings the two titans to a place we've been waiting for all along: earth. Did Anderson feel pressure to base the story in space? "Folks have been developing scripts for this movie for literally a decade, ever since the first AVP comic book was done. I think the first script was based on the comic book and that was out in space. I think Alien was always considered the bigger franchise. I guess it seemed like a natural thing to set AvP in the world of the Alien, rather than the world of the Predator. I always liked the idea of it being on earth. I guess I got so fired up, like most people, when I saw the teaser trailers for Alien 3. I don't know if you remember them or not but it said 'This winter (even though they missed the release dates), you will discover that on Earth, everyone can hear you scream.' Me and all my friends went 'F**k yeah!' The Aliens are coming on Earth now. With Aliens you kind of suspected that was what was going to happen. You thought the Alien was in the cat and it was going to get to Earth.

"Aliens was a brilliant movie but you still wanted to see the Alien come to Earth. That teaser for Alien 3 kind of suggested that was what was going to happen. People are going to want to see the idea of an Alien on Earth, I know I have for such a long time."

AvP could offer some insight into the Alien or Predator mythology or origins. Does Anderson tackle those concepts in the film? "I wouldn't f**king dream of that, no. That's beyond me. The movie is designed to be a sequel to the Predator movies and a prequel to the Alien movies. In no way does it contradict or go against anything in the Alien franchise. We've been very careful about that. It's set present day and on earth, so it's like 150 years before Sigourney Weaver's out in space. It really makes sense. When you see this movie and then those movies, well I understand why she was completely ignorant of the existence of Aliens, but the Weyland-Yutani people did have an awareness of them. In that respect, there is a mythology to it (and there is a lot of mythology in the movie), but it is more related to Earth history rather than the history of Aliens and Predators. I'm not trying to explain away their genesis or anything like that. The idea is very much inspired by something Ron Cobb did for the very first Alien movie. I don't know if any of you have the original Alien book (which was done ages ago), but it had some original artwork from Alien for the pyramid that was never built ... Ron Cobb did some really cool designs, which were hieroglyphics showing the eggs … and that was very much an inspiration for this movie. It was a strand of Alien mythology that existed already but that never made it in Ridley Scott's movie."

Of the familiar faces appearing in AvP, there is only one: Lance Henriksen. Anderson explains that "the role was written for him. I wanted some casting continuity with the Alien franchise even though it is set 100 years after our movie. The only person that could be was Lance. He, of course, was an android in the other movies. That was the idea behind that. I thought it was kind of a neat idea … I wanted to use the Weyland-Yutani Corporation in some respect. So the idea is that Charles Bishop Weyland is like Bill Gates, but his area of expertise is robotics. He's made his made his money in high tech and he's like the father of modern robotics. So that when the Bishop android is created in 150 years time, it's created with the face of the creator. It's kind of like Microsoft building an android in 100 years time that has the face of Bill Gates. The idea with Weyland is that his character is a man who is dying and like a lot of rich men who are facing the end, they realize that money and power aren't enough. What they want to do is leave something behind. So it's kind of like his longing for immortality that precipitates a lot of the events in this film, but also explains why his corporation would build something with his face."

Anderson is on record for being an avid videogame player. Does it inform his direction? "I'm definitely of a generation that's very influenced by videogames. I just play a lot of videogames. I guess the way I shoot things is slightly influenced by the way videogames are cut and shot. I do a lot of point-of-view shots. Most first-person shooters, you get in there and feel like you're there. If you look at the AvP videogames, that's what they tend to be. You get a little more immersed that way."

Are we going to see some truly hardcore ***-kicking? "[Yes, but] it's not from minute one to minute 120. I think that would be a disappointment as well. I am a huge fan of both franchises, but I think everyone would agree that there are some movies within the franchises that work better than others.

"One of the things that make Alien and Aliens and the first Predator movie work so well is that fact that the filmmakers deliberately held back the creatures for as long as possible. Whether intentionally or not, that's what they did and that's why I think those movies work so well. You don't see a Predator until 58 minutes into the first movie. You get a hint of Predator-vision but you don't see one until about an hour into the film. The same with Alien. You don't see the face hugger come out of the egg until 45 minutes into the film. In the Director's Cut of Aliens, you don't have that big battle until an hour and 10 minutes into the film. I think those movies benefited from the fact that they just made the audience wait a little bit.

"When I saw Alien the first time, I was terrified from minute one to when the aliens turned up. I was more scared because the aliens weren't in the movie, I was expecting them to pop up at any moment. In Predator 2, the Predator's in the movie from the opening credits onwards. Alien 3, you see the Alien again in the opening credits. Alien Resurrection you see the Alien queen precisely ten minutes into the film. I think you just get to see the creatures too much. That's what I felt, on Resurrection, that it sort of demystified the Alien. They had lots of shots where you just looked at it. If you do that to any creature, you stop being scared of it. There's tons of Alien on Predator action in this movie, there's tons and tons of it, but it's not 2 hours of them slugging it out. I don't think that would be entertaining."

We'll have more with Mr. Anderson tomorrow!
-- Steven Horn
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/446/446412p1.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
12-18-2003, 05:41 PM
More intresting info has surfaced, from Joe Blow's movie site. :)

From JoeBlow:

It’s on! The "versus" craze has officially begun. FREDDY VS JASON kicked things off famously this summer and its success will most likely mean a barrage of “Vs” action extravaganzas headed towards your local Cineplex in the years to come. Not that I’m complaining, you see, eventually the well will run dry and then they’ll be bound to consider the BIEL VS PORTMAN script I’ve been slaving over for the past six years. But enough about my hopes and dreams, Paul Anderson has a few of his own and as co-writer and director of this hugely anticipated movie, he’s trying to make sure that every detail of AVP goes according to Hoyle. We here at JoBlo.com were invited to visit the shooting of this film for a couple of days earlier this month in the beautiful city of Prague in the Czech Republic.

I’ll start by introducing the plot and cast members and then feature highlights from interviews from both the production designer & the creature effects team. That's followed by a short description of two of the scenes we saw filmed, a quick summary of my thoughts on the entire project and interviews with the cast and director Paul Anderson (over the next few days). We saw tons of stuff on our two-day visit to the sets and what I’ve tried to do is provide you all with a brief, yet thorough, idea of what the film is shaping up to be like so far. If you haven't seen the film's teaser trailer yet, or Anderson's behind the scenes featurette, head on over to the OFFICIAL SITE now!

THE PLOT:

A group of scientists are brought together and led to the Antarctic on an archeological expedition financed by billionaire robotics industrialist Charles Bishop Weyland. They soon discover the ancient ruins of a pyramid brimming with astonishing hieroglyphics of creatures strongly resembling the title characters. The acid blood really hits the fan when these poor suckers are soon found in the middle of a vicious battle between your friendly neighborhood aliens and five teenage predators that have made the trip down to earth to perform a coming-of-age ritual. Which makes this film’s official tagline very appropriate: "Whoever wins...we lose"

THE CAST:

The bulk of the cast is diverse and international including two Scots, a Frenchwoman, a Swede, three Brits, an Italian, two Americans… and a partridge in a pear tree. A lot of the actors will however don different accents for the film. The only casting connection to the previous ALIEN films is Henriksen, who portrayed the robot “Bishop” in ALIENS and ALIEN 3. His character however is entirely different in this film.

Lance Henriksen (Near Dark, Aliens, Alien 3) – Charles Bishop Weyland - Leader

Colin Salmon (The World Is Not Enough, Resident Evil, Die Another Day) - Max Stafford - Charles’ right-hand man

Raoul Bova (Avenging Angelo, Under The Tuscan Sun) - Sebastian Wells - Archeologist

Sanaa Lathan (Blade, The Best Man, Out Of Time) - Alexa Woods - Explorer, Environmental Technician

Ewen Bremner (Trainspotting, Snatch, Black Hawk Down) - Graham Miller - Chemical Engineer

Tommy Flanagan (Braveheart, Face/Off, Gladiator) - Verheiden - Security Team Member

Agathe De La Boulaye (Jefferson In Paris, Michel Vaillant) - Adele Rousseau - Security Team Member

Joseph Rye (Ouija, Mean Machine) - Connors - Security Team Member

Carsten Norgaard (Soldier, Gods And Generals) - Quinn - Drill Team Leader

Sam Troughton (Sylvia) - Thomas – Archeologist

INTERVIEWS WITH THE CREW:

Our initial introduction to this world of sci-fi/horror was a meeting in the offices of the production designer Richard Bridgland. Picture a room draped in sketches of sets varying from dark under-pyramidal catacombs to intricate and re-imagined alien ships to desolate Antarctic landscapes. Well, anyway, you’ll have to picture them because snapshots of any kind were strictly verboten! on set or anywhere else in the AVP environment. I got some cool pictures of some Czech “ladies” if y’all are interested though.

Richard had previously designed the sets for THE ACID HOUSE, SWING, GANGSTER NO. 1, RESIDENT EVIL (Anderson’s previous project) and most recently, WICKER PARK. The precedent for claustrophobic sets and the creepy, unsettling environments set by the previous Alien and Predator films is a lot to live up to. Half the appeal of those films was the feeling of genuine fear and authenticity their sets emanated. Here are some of the main points Richard brought up during our interview…

Many different locales & time periods - (Whaling station -1904 & present day - in the Arctic circle, mountaintops, archeological digs, naval ships, predator ship & helicopter travel, ice grotto, pyramidal catacombs beneath the ice, various chambers within the pyramids – Entrance Chamber, Chamber of the Gods, Sacrificial Chamber, Hieroglyphics Chamber, Staircase Chamber, Fight Chamber, The Bone Chamber, etc.)

Scenes inside the Predator mother ship - The inside will have a mixture of styles & designs ranging from medieval to gothic to the “predator” look.
Creating their own world - Richard said they made it a point to try and create their own alien/predator “look” rather than just copying the other films down to the tee. They were, of course, inspired a little by some things seen in the comics & movies but for the most part, AVP will have an identity of its own. He added, if anything, the spirit of the first ALIEN was the biggest influence and shades of that will definitely be apparent.

It was then the perfect time to mosey on down to one of the sets Richard designed for the film. As explained in the plotline portion, this film will have a majority of it occurring in the deep, dark depths of ancient pyramidal corridors & chambers. We were brought to the Fight Chamber, the location of the first meeting between both killers. I definitely got some THE MUMMY and STARGATE vibes from this place. The ceilings and walls surrounding it had ancient hieroglyphic markings and writings on them, many involving of course, the two title characters.

Large menacing statues of the predators are seen kneeling before a large staircase, spears in hand, at the far end of the chamber. When we arrived, a predator was being “wired up” for an action sequence that was to be shot later that day. A cast figure of one of the actors (in the position of his ultimate demise) was lying nearby. From some of the other death sequence moments I experienced later that day, it’s safe to say the fate many of the humans will face in AVP will be extremely creative and bloody as hell.

Next, we were escorted to the workshop of Tom Woodruff and Alec Gillis of ADI (Amalgamated Dynamics Inc.). Some of Tom & Alec’s extensive “creature” filmography includes work on PUMPKINHEAD, LEVIATHAN, WOLF, TREMORS, MORTAL KOMBAT, ALIEN 3, ALIEN: RESURRECTION and STARSHIP TROOPERS. Tom was also the dude who played the lead alien in the last two installments. They had both also worked under Stan Winston for ALIENS.

The workshop had everything you’d expect in it: bins full of face-huggers, alien casts, a couple of dozen of their eggs, predator spears and the mother of all cool weapons – the shuriken-influenced (Japanese throwing stars) blades that the predators will use to chuck at their prey and consequently cut them up with. They also had the one and only _____ ____ that we were told not to mention. It was too cool, it had ____ and a ___ - ____ and of course a new addition to it, which was a ___ tied onto a ___. It was f*cking great! The other great thing I was also told to keep hush about. Hmm, just try to picture the best scene from ALIEN (I’m probably walking a really thin line here).

Anywho, here are the highlights from our talks with the duo…

More practical effects, less CGI! There will, of course, be some CG imagery used, but there will be more miniature & practical effects used in AVP (we visited the miniature workshop later that day and I was blown away at some of the work being done for some key “destruction” scenes that’ll take place.

The precise work that’s gone into re-creating the vast desolate landscape of the Arctic and its rustic architecture was terribly impressive – at this point I started getting some serious THE THING vibes…and that’s a good thing)
No radical changes in the designs of both creatures - They’ve remained true to the original designs of both the alien & the predator. They’ve only made slight changes to them, bringing them into the millennia, in a sense, by making them a little more wicked & powerful. The articulation and sculpture of the predator hero in AVP will be much more subtle and he’ll have a wider range of movements so as to be able to convey emotions. This is key because he will apparently emerge as one of the main focal points in the film.

The term leading man was used. J Longer tendrils on the S.O.B. too! The actor playing the predator is 7’1 outside of the costume – he’s huge!
Advanced weaponry - More elegant touch to the weapons. The predator will have an ornamental dagger; which will be used in the film (to skin some alien hide), his throwing discs have had a make-over and there have been slight alterations to his shoulder-mounted gun.

One more time - Tom Woodruff’s experience in playing the alien creature in the past two alien films and agreeing to once more jump into the alien suit for AVP played a large part in helping AGI win the bid for working on this movie.

WATCHING THE SCENES:

During our two-day stay we were privy to seeing them shoot a couple of scenes from the film. They’ve built all the inner chambers of the pyramid in a large studio. Again, I’ll have to describe them as best I can since taking pictures was strictly forbidden. Or did I mention that already? The first scene gave us an opportunity to see a nice kill by the main predator himself. Picture him atop the upper walls of the Fight Chamber whipping one of his ceremonial spears at one of the security team members (no big secret here, you knew some of these guys were gonna die). I was most impressed by the sheer size of the predator MOFO. He’s truly a magnificent figure to watch. So, anyway, the poor guy takes it in the chest as a last few desperate shots are fired at the predator…in vain. The whole shot will probably take 5-10 seconds of screen time. Still, it was pretty nifty to see the legendary killer “in action”.

The second scene wasn’t nearly as exciting as it just focused on all of the security team members and the other stragglers, entering the main corridor of the pyramidal underground, flashlights and guns in tow. The jig is up and they’re expecting some killers to be hunting them. The one thing I got from this scene is a nice sense of gory anticipation – the smell of blood is in the air and you can tell some humans are going to get massacred shortly. Fun times!

EPILOGUE:

My two days consisted of visiting the massive sets, learning about the numerous plot points, interviewing the men involved in creating the infamous creatures, seeing both killing machines up close & personal, taking 0 pictures (what, me bitter?), chatting it up with the international cast, seeing a couple of scenes being shot, dodging some Czech gangsters (long story) and hearing from the leader of this motley crew, Paul Anderson.

After listening to him discuss what his vision and hopes are for this epic joining of two great franchises, I couldn’t help but get into it as well. I got the genuine impression that the big boys over at Fox are incredibly excited, proud and downright giddy over what they’ve got going on with this flick. I’d even go as far as to say they called us over to "show off". Hey, whatever...good on them, all I know is that I ate some great Czech food, romanced some Czech ladies (that could have happened, no?), hung out with the slick Garth from Dark Horizons as well as some other cool onliners, and met filmmakers running amok a movie over which they’re all incredibly passionate.

Say what you will about Paul Anderson and the decision to give him the reigns on AVP, but the man’s passion is damn contagious and his excitement for this project was conveyed by almost every person to whom we spoke on our little visit. From what I saw, they’ve got a good thing going so far and if they continue on this pace and that magic translates to the big screens next summer, there is no reason to think that this won’t be another one of those great franchises just waiting to be born. I guess we’ll all find out on August 6th, 2004.

And I’m not just saying that so Fox takes a look at my HEWITT Vs. SPEARS treatment either…
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
12-31-2003, 02:17 PM
Some more news, from Coming Soon. Sounds good, I really have high hopes for this film. And hope that it's great, but there's a lot of iffy things that are making me nervous. But I like his other films, so I think it should be good. :)

Alien vs. Predator Part I: Title Bout
Kevin Rubio Tuesday,

In this corner, with four films, two video games, and 23 comic book titles and still counting -- the scariest monster to come out of 70s sci-fi, the disgrace from space, the Fox franchise: ALIEN.

And in this corner, with two film titles two his credit, three video games and 15 comic book titles and counting -- the first alien (but not the last) to challenge a California governor and lose, the other Fox franchise: PREDATOR.

These two extra-terrestrial combatants are scheduled to meet in a celestial grudge match this coming August at a theatre near you, in what Fox is hoping will be another windfall in the trend of pitting great movie monsters against each other.

Like those that went before them: Dracula vs. Frankenstein, King Kong vs. Godzilla, Freddie vs. Jason; Alien v. Predator or AVP, has a mixture of both high optimism and skepticism from the public at large. And with rumors now surfacing with ever frequency about "MAJOR problems with creatures" that are "all painted silver" and "Paul Anderson seriously considering replacing a lot of what was built with CGI," (all of which are untrue, but I'll get to that later), 20th Century Fox graciously arranged an onset visit for fourteen internet and print media to tour the sets, interview the cast and crew, and watch the filming of several key sequences.

ComingSoon.net was one of the fortunate few to be invited along last month, and over the next several weeks we will be featuring behind-the-scenes interviews with cast and crew as well as focusing on the history of this long awaited clash -- one that truly has been years in the making. But first for those of you who are new to AVP (and if you read this site, I can't imagine there are many of you) we present an overview of the story and the principles involved:

Written and directed by Paul WS Anderson, (Mortal Kombat, Event Horizon, Resident Evil) AVP has taken, at least in some part, some of the ideas brought forth by the popular Dark Horse Comic series.

Like the Dark Horse comic, the Predators are responsible for creating one of earth's ancient cultures. It was they who enslaved our ancestors, forced them to build really big pyramids and then offered them up as living sacrifices in order to incubate the cute little Aliens that serve as game for their favorite recreational right of passage - hunting. Now while this could also be confused with similar events recounted by people who have worked under the employment of the Walt Disney Company, it is here where the similarities end.

Though it spans 100 years, the bulk of the AVP story takes place in Antarctica in the present time. It is here in an abandoned whaling station that a Weyland Industries' satellite picks-up a rather peculiar object under the Antarctic cap. Weyland Industries is the same company that sent the crew of the Nostromo to the planet where they found the egg in the first film. So suffice to say, if you work for WI, make sure your life insurance policy is in order.

An expedition is mounted by Charles Bishop Weyland, played by Lance Henriksen (no the "Bishop" name is not a coincidence) and headed by Raoul Bova (Under the Tuscan Sun) and the film's lead heroin - Sanaa (pronounced: sin-ah) Lathan (Out of Time). They are accompanied by the usual motley crew/appetizers that (at least in my impression) are more reminiscent of the first Alien film in both character and diversity, than latter incarnations.

So the whole buffet (sorry -- crew) find themselves in Antarctica where they uncover an ancient pyramid that predates all known civilizations and dwarfs even the Aztec pyramids of Mexico. So, what's a team to do? Well if you are to have any move, you usually stumble onto something that looks intriguing, which they do. You tamper with it in a way that you're not suppose to, which they do. And this usually sets of some sort of a chain reaction that involves people being trapped and many bloody gruesome scary deaths by things that leap out at you from dark places among the shadows when you least expect it, which it will.

But unlike your usual fair, the real battle is not between the humans and the Aliens but between the Aliens and Hunters - three Predators, one of them a prince with a very big presence in the film.

The film itself is being shot entirely in Prague (or for you natives on the web: Praha) in several converted sound stages throughout the city. Other cast members include: Ewen Bremner (Black Hawk Down, Trainspotting), Colin Salmon, who some may recognizes as M's chief of staff in the last three Bond films, the very ire and funny Tommy Flanagan, who played Russell Crowe's servant in Gladiator, and international actors Joseph Rye, Carsten Norgaard, Sam Troughton and the very sexy Agathe De La Boulaye, round out the cast.

Now I know the whole reason you guys come to these websites is so that you can get the inside scoop on things, and to be honest you will get them here sooner than most, but as of this posting Fox will not yet allow us to reveal specifics as to who dies, who lives, and what other types of alien/predator manifestation appear in the film - they don't want us to spoil everything. But if you know your Alien/Predator stuff and you know what happens to people or (other things) that come into contact with "eggs" then you can probably take an educated guess as to what might be in store for you in this film.

What I can tell you is that while touring the sets, and even running into some of the actors at the hotel, everyone and I mean everyone is excited about working on this film. The "problems" with the creatures, reported on another website, are no more than the problems you would normally have with a big effects sci-fi shoot. The Aliens are NOT "silver." They are the slimy black creatures that reflect whatever light they happen to be in that we've all come to know and love. There are design changes (the hands are larger) and occasionally a robotic alien, puppeteer off camera, is used for shots that involved repetitive fast movements or teeth to shoot out.

The reported ill fitting Predators costumes were in my opinion the second hand reporting of someone who caught glimpse of a stand-in or stunt man being helped off the set. The actors who play the Predators, while they may appear to some to look a bit dull or unimpressive outside a soundstage or under the harsh florescent light of a creature shop, look great through the lenses, and in the end that's what matters.

The tag line for the film is "No matter who wins, we lose." While it's still to early to tell whether or not this line will prove to be prophetic for the folks at 20th Century Fox, what is very clear is that the genuine enthusiasm by those involved in making this film rivals, and in the case of director Paul WS Anderson surpasses that of the fans waiting for it, and for all I believe the wait will be worth it.

NEXT TIME: "Rumble in the Jungle: The Beginnings of AVP
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-19-2004, 04:26 PM
According to Ain't It Cool News, Peter Weller has been cast as Mr. Yutani. The head of the company that will merge with Mr. Weyland's company to form: Weyland-Yutani. The Company seen in Alien-Alien 3. And was bought out by Wal-Mart, before Alien 4. :)

Murphy joins Bishop in ALIEN VS PREDATOR

Hey folks, Harry here... Now see, this is really cool. The sort of thing that gets me excited. Seeing these two together working in this movie would normally be the sort of thing that'd get me foaming at the mouth. Then there's that Paul W.S. Anderson thing. I remember when they announced Kurt Russell in SOLDIER, and I went absolutely nutsoid crazy, as he was genetically designed for the part... and Anderson f***ed that up beyond all recognition. He could ruin a prom queen ****.

Greetings Harry and gang,

Last month I was fortunate enough to exchange e-mails with one of the press invitees (For his sake, I will not name him outright) who took part in the Prague AVP set visits, and he dropped MAJOR hints that a certain "Detroit Cyborg" would be involved in the upcoming movie. To keep a long story short, after a lengthy discussion and a whole lot of begging, I finally managed to squeeze some interesting details out of him. While this would come as quite a major spoiler, this is hands down the best news I've heard yet coming from a motion picture with Paul Anderson's name attached to it.

Peter Weller (RoboCop) will be making a brief appearance as billionaire industrialist "John Yutani" opposite Lance Henriksen "Charles Weyland," CO-owners of the greedy corporation in the Alien universe palpably named Weyland-Yutani. Weller (Yutani), who plays Weyland's darker half, will be the person who influences Henriksen's "Weyland" character to take part in the latest archeological dig in a strategic move to gain full control of the company. While not knowing of the imminent danger his associate is yet to encounter, Yutani knows of Weyland's ailing heart condition and means to benefit from his partner's untimely demise by sending along a company assassin. What bothers me some is the similarity from both the first RoboCop and Alien movie dealing with the rather cliche corruption bit, but this is merely supposed to be a precursor. Here's to hoping Anderson doesn't park this flick in the rehash zone for too long.

On the other hand, I personally I feel this is a great pairing, being that both actors are more regarded for their roles as Cyborgs/Androids in two science fiction blockbusters of the 80's. Call me Pumpkin Head.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Possible update on the Peter Weller situation:

By Nick Nunziata
Contributing sources: AICN

Most of you have been craving the chance to see the star of Of Unknown Origin appear alongside the star of The Horror Show in a film for as long as you can remember. Right? Peter Weller and Lance Henrickson. There guys are two class acts and Hollywood survivors who still appear in genre films even though there's still an air of mediocrity around them. It's comforting, even though their recent output hasn't been all that memorable (Weller's turn in The Order was a bit of a punch to the hindquarters).

According to Aint it Cool News, Robocop and Frank Black are teaming up in Paul W.S. Anderson's Alien vs. Predator film as Yutani and Weyland, the corporate high hogs who build the Weyland-Yutani corporation at the core of the Alien franchise's conspiracy subplot. Weller joins the cast late in the game if this is true, but his deadpan delivery (watch the rather amusing Shakedown for good evidence of his skill) will be a good counterbalance to Henrickson's weary and intense methodology.

While it's not confirmed or etched in stone and hardly big casting news that'll inspire water cooler discussion, it's nice. I personally have enjoying watching both actors' work through their whole careers and this might just help them enjoy a second resurgence as weathered character actors. I can dig that.

UPDATE: This could be a total pile of sloth d***. My co-editor at MOVIE INSIDER (and sometime contributor to this site) Dan Whitehead had this to say:

"Just read the bit on AICN about Peter Weller being in AvP. Unless it's a VERY last minute casting deal, Peter Weller is not in the movie. He wasn't on any of the cast lists, he wasn't on any call sheets, he wasn't mentioned anywhere. Not to mention the fact that Yutani is the name of the Japanese half of The Company...

But what makes it REALLY bizarre is that I made a crack about "a certain Detroit cyborg" - my exact words - being in AvP over at the CHUD boards. I was just riffing on the secrecy stuff surrounding the hybrid, and the notion that RoboCop might turn up seemed funny. I've never swapped e-mails with anybody about it though, so it's all a bit strange that they're using the exact phrase I did as a joke.

Just thought you'd like to know..."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Here's some designs for the Alien Warrior, Predator, and Alien Queen. They were up at Figures.com for a short while. And then they were pulled down, because they're from Alien Vs. Predator and weren't supposed to be photographed. Oopsie. The news and pics are from Celluloid Shockers. :)

AvP concept drawings revealed!
Reported by: Mark on: Saturday, January 31 2004 2:30AM GMT

Well, here's a turn up for the books.... Looks like Palisades revealed some of the Alien and Predator concept art for their upcoming statues at the UK Toy Fair.... based on the creatures from "Alien vs Predator"! The pics have already been taken down from Figures.com (who covered the event), but we've managed to grab some copies (at least for a while....)

So here we have the Alien Warrior (pictured above), the Predator (with redesigned armour and massive wrist blades), and the Queen Alien (complete with what looks like barbed tethers - the Predators obviously have themselves a little pet....)

Interesting to say the least. Me like.

SOURCE: http://www.figures.com
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

kool-aid killer
01-30-2004, 09:13 PM
Cool JJB. I like the Predators longer wristblade. The Alien Queen looks a bit odd in the little trap thingie, what happened to her legs?

Beast
01-30-2004, 09:23 PM
I think it's supposed to be just a head bust. Since they've done Alien and Predator ones that are somewhat similar. Looks intresting. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Really in-depth interview with Lance Henriksen over at the following link. Some intresting news, quite a few spoilers, and some possible bad news. :(

At this point Geoff Freeman, the unit publicist on the AvP set confirmed that assuming AvP is a success it will kill off the other franchises. This means there will be no Alien 5 or further predator movies, the two franchises will be channelled into sequels to Alien vs. Predator and beyond.
http://www.web-magic.demon.co.uk/lanceinterview.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-23-2004, 11:36 AM
More info on the upcoming film. A few minor spoilers. The movie is really starting to sound good. Hopefully it pays off as well as it sounds. :)

Yesterday we shared with you our first impression of The Day After Tomorrow. What we didn't mention is that the clips were preceded by a rough assemblage of footage from Alien vs Predator. With principal photography only just having wrapped, no digital effects were complete but, taking that into consideration, things appear to be shaping up nicely.

The footage began with Lance Henriksen's industrial billionaire instructing his team of scientists and archaeologists as they make ready to enter the uncovered Aztec dig site deep within the Antarctic circle. Ewan Bremner reveals himself as the token comic relief before we see a montage of panning shots of the temple, with nervous scientists exploring the ruins. The team discover a series of bodies with ruptured ribcages and are, in true shock-jump fashion, surprised by the desiccated body of a facehugger. And that's when things get interesting.

A quick glimpse of Predator vision heralds the arrival of an intergalactic hunting party as a group of adolescent Predators enter the temple to complete a coming-of-age ritual. Familiar images of people spraying machine gun fire at shadows as the Predators pick them off with spears and net-guns follow as the new arrivals thin the humans' numbers. While a number of Predators were present, the most prominently featured one sported a more intricate, snout-like motif on his mask and boasted a hulking physique to put his brethren in both the previous films to shame - pretty good shape for what is essentially an alien teenager.

As people scatter left, right and centre, a pair of hapless souls find themselves locked in an Aztec chamber. "So what is this room?" asks one. "A sacrificial chamber," is her reply. Panels on a stone alter slide away and a series of alien eggs emerge from within, peeling open to reveal the slumbering face huggers beneath. We then cut to a Predator holding the screaming form of an Alien infant, a human cocooned in Alien slime and the emergence of this triple threat match's third contestant. With some effects shots still a work in progress, looks at the Aliens were few but we did get to see one locked in combat with a predator before cutting to one one of the hunters running side-by-side with Sanaa Lathan's character as a something explodes behind them.

The clip finished with an alien of each species staring each other in the face with barely a foot between them before a close-up on the black carapace sees a pair of inner jaws shoot out to stamp the AVP title on the screen.

Everything on show was impressive and, if we weren't so cynical, we'd already be booking our tickets. The only problem is, with a combination of two such titanic franchises, something just has to go wrong. Call us pessimists but it would be almost too good to be true if Paul Anderson carried this off without a hitch. Here's hoping though.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-09-2004, 01:08 AM
New Theatrical Internet Trailer is up now. Looks damn good. And a lot of the folks that were down on the film, are starting to get excited. :)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/internet_trailer/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-20-2004, 09:57 PM
More news about the upcoming movie, up at IGN. Sounds like the director is really doing his homework for this movie. :)

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/500/500573p1.html?fromint=1

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
06-11-2004, 12:36 AM
The MTV Preview for Alien Vs. Predator sure looks badarse. :)

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/ont-ska/avp-exc.mov

Not to sure how long it will be up, so snag it now. Right click and save. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
06-11-2004, 07:09 AM
The trailer looks great! At least it doesn't look like Alien 4 vs. Predator 2. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-11-2004, 11:42 AM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/internet_exclusive/

Apple also has the exclusive up. It's pretty much the exact same thing as your trailer, Binks, but it is missing a few shots, i THINK. However, it still looks pretty kick arse. I'm lovin' the new armor style for Predator. :)

Hellboy
06-12-2004, 02:48 AM
The film looks like it might turn out pretty good.

Hard to really tell though because this teaser isn't all that good IMO. I don't think the rock music underscore thats used really fits.

I wonder when the full blown trailer will hit?

RooJay
06-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Having seen the new trailer with Chronicles of Riddick, I have to say that I have completely changed my opinion of this movie. It just looks awesome, and I'm now officially won over! I can't wait to check this one out. Of course, certain aspects are certainly not done they way I'd have done them, but there's always the sequel!

Oh yeah, and this post would mark the big 2000th post for me! It's been fun folks! Thanks to all the friends I've made here on SSG!

I swear I didn't even plan to hit 2000 exactly on my 30th birthday either!

Beast
06-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Nice to see you coming around and deciding to give 'Alien Vs. Predator' a chance, Roojay. After seeing that last MTV/Online trailer, I'm super hyped to see this. It looks like it's going to kick some major arse. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
06-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Happy birthday RooJay and congratulations on 2000 posts. :D

RooJay
06-12-2004, 11:27 PM
It also may have helped that I actually got to shake hands with Lance Henriksen himself at last months Wonder Con in San Fransisco, and hear him talk about the movie himself. He was such a great guy, and seemed genuinely proud of his involvement in the film.

Thanks for the kind regards, Hellboy! :D

Reefer Shark
06-13-2004, 02:13 PM
I will admit, the trailer have helped turn me around also. Have been a big fan of the original AvP comic series, I was originally pretty let down that they didn't use that storyline. But now that I see certain aspects of the story have remained, I'm pretty happy!

Oh yeah, a late Happy B-day and 2000th post to ya Roojay! Congrats!

bigbarada
08-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Well, August 13th is only days away and I'm getting really excited about seeing this movie.

I've been hearing rumors about this project since 1989 (no joke) so it's nice to finally see the movie is really here.

Now, it's just a matter of "will it be any good?" Well, after Predator 2, Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, I think the bar is set pretty low; so we'll see.

Exhaust Port
08-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Yeah, it can't be any worse than the last round of movies.

kool-aid killer
08-04-2004, 02:50 PM
My brothers and i plan on seeing it on the 14th. Im quite excited about it, i remember hearing rumors of an Aliens vs. Predator movie in the works. Whether they were legit rumors or just fanboy dreams i dont recall but im glad that its finally been done. Im hoping its good but have heard that it will be a franchise killer for both groups. Either way i will be there to see it and will make up my own mind whether i like it or not.

scruffziller
08-04-2004, 03:19 PM
Im hoping its good but have heard that it will be a franchise killer for both groups.
What better way to close the book.:)

Now we just need Robocop vs Terminator.:D

bigbarada
08-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Now we just need Robocop vs Terminator.:D

Then they can follow that up with Star Wars vs. Star Trek! :dead:

Hellboy
08-04-2004, 04:12 PM
The trailer looks great and I've really been looking forward to seeing the movie and then the rating was announced. PG-13?? :confused: WTF is that :stupid: :mad:

Now I'm really starting to doubt if this film will deliver. I don't see how you can stay true to these characters with watered down violence. All 6 previous Alien and Predator films were R rated and violence was always an important aspect of the stories. I don't think changing this is a good idea if AVP intends to captialize on the success of it's predecessors. :stupid: :alien:

Beast
08-04-2004, 04:49 PM
The director filmed with an R rating in mind. The MPAA delievered a PG-13. Most likely because most of the gore is Predator/Alien. So they can get away with a lot more of it then they can with red blood. Not to mention, Alien, Aliens, and Predator don't show all the gore and death on screen, leaving some to the imagination. Also, those movies were made in the late 70's and 80's, and you can get away with a lot more today in the movies, allowing a lower rating. Plus the PG-13 will allow more people to see it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Then they can follow that up with Star Wars vs. Star Trek! :dead:
And then "Pants vs. Trousers 2 - this time, it's personal!"

:D

scruffziller
08-06-2004, 06:47 AM
The director filmed with an R rating in mind. The MPAA delievered a PG-13. Most likely because most of the gore is Predator/Alien. So they can get away with a lot more of it then they can with red blood. Not to mention, Alien, Aliens, and Predator don't show all the gore and death on screen, leaving some to the imagination. Also, those movies were made in the late 70's and 80's, and you can get away with a lot more today in the movies, allowing a lower rating. Plus the PG-13 will allow more people to see it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
True, just keep in mind the LOTR trilogy at how great it was still with PG-13 rating. Now did it also apply that because it was "orc" blood that they were able to get away with it too?

JEDIpartner
08-06-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm avoiding this. The concept, even in the comics, was just too stupid for me.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Saw this and BD and got a chuckle out of it.

IESB.net writes:
"The studio is rushing the editors and the special effects houses to get this film ready by it's target release date of August 13th but they are not confident that it will be done by opening day. To make things worse 20th Century Fox has had to cancel the Junket for the film because they know that the print will not be ready in time. Junkets are normally held 1 to 2 weeks prior of the release date so the journalists can see the film and interview the talent involved and finally review the film. Even the films Red Carpet World Premiere that was going to be held at the Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood on August 10th has been cancelled due to the same problem.So will we see AVP on the 13th? Maybe but it might not be the final version that the studio wanted the audience to see."

Uh- oh. :D

bigbarada
08-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Saw this and BD and got a chuckle out of it.

IESB.net writes:
"The studio is rushing the editors and the special effects houses to get this film ready by it's target release date of August 13th but they are not confident that it will be done by opening day. To make things worse 20th Century Fox has had to cancel the Junket for the film because they know that the print will not be ready in time. Junkets are normally held 1 to 2 weeks prior of the release date so the journalists can see the film and interview the talent involved and finally review the film. Even the films Red Carpet World Premiere that was going to be held at the Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood on August 10th has been cancelled due to the same problem.So will we see AVP on the 13th? Maybe but it might not be the final version that the studio wanted the audience to see."

Uh- oh. :D

Yikes! :eek:

This doesn't bode well for the film.

I know I'm a little ignorant of how all this movie marketing works, but I'll ask the stupid question anyway: Why not just push back the release date until the movie is finished?

Beast
08-06-2004, 02:04 PM
I don't know about that report, it doesn't sound real to me. It sounds like more BS rumors to try to tear the movie down. I'd take it with a massive grain of salt, better yet a salt block. From what I know, reviewers have already seen the film in press screenings. The MPAA had to have seen the entire film for to have given it a rating. So I don't buy this report at all. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jaff
08-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Well I was lucky enough to read the entire film about a month ago, and the film really doesn't sound that bad considering what people have been saying. I was troubled that they did not even go into Yutani, or even mentioning what happened in the first two predator films, or why these aliens were being kept on earth. However it does have some great creature exposure. It also explores a Predator/human relationship, but if you follow the alien films the character still remaining alive in the end is a bit too predictable and formula driven. Give this one a chance you may be surprised.

Rocketboy
08-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Saw it today and I've got mixed feelings.
Yes, it was pretty good for the most part, but some scenes were kinda goofy (few chuckles were heard in the theater). Great FX too.
Also, I expected a massive scale battle between tons of Aliens and Predators, not a fight between 1 Predator (mainly) and a handful of Aliens.

Hellboy
08-14-2004, 01:12 PM
I expected a massive scale battle between tons of Aliens and Predators, not a fight between 1 Predator (mainly) and a handful of Aliens.

I saw this the other day and this was my main problem with the film as well. Some of the coolest scenes from the trailer were simply flashback scenes and with all the advertisements asking you to "choose a side" or "whoever wins we loose" as if it was some kind of intergalactic war thats been raging on for years and has spilled over onto Earth didn't represent what the film was actually about at all.

I did however enjoy the film and seeing as how my expectations were lower than previous Alien/Predator films, mostly due to the studio's choice of director and the PG-13 rating, I think it was a worthy entry for both franchises.

SPOILERS
The one thing I felt was totally unnecessary but you just knew they were going to go there was the creation of the Predator Alien. When that facehugger flew toward the last Predator after he removes his mask and the film cuts away it was pretty obvious to me how this was going to play out. It seemed pretty out of character though that the Predators, upon retrieving the warrior's body, would let it aboard their ship without scanning it for Alien infestation first. The entire final scene aboard the Predator ship just felt out of place to me, like it served no other purpose but to hint at a possible sequel. :ermm:

SithDroid
08-14-2004, 06:53 PM
SPOILERS
The one thing I felt was totally unnecessary but you just knew they were going to go there was the creation of the Predator Alien. When that facehugger flew toward the last Predator after he removes his mask and the film cuts away it was pretty obvious to me how this was going to play out. It seemed pretty out of character though that the Predators, upon retrieving the warrior's body, would let it aboard their ship without scanning it for Alien infestation first. The entire final scene aboard the Predator ship just felt out of place to me, like it served no other purpose but to hint at a possible sequel. :ermm:

Spoilers

I saw this movie last night and I completly agree. What also doesn't make sense is that in Alien 3 when the Alien senses that there is an alien growing inside of the Ripley that it lets her go and does not mess with her, but in this film the Alien kills the Predator anyway. Maybe it was because it was a Queen Alien and the queen doesn't care about anyone except itself and there can be only one queen. Though the Predator Alien hybrid at the end was stupid, and I agree that the Predators would have scanned the body for an Alien. What I also did not like about this film was that there are 3 Predators, but 2 of them get killed pretty much right away right off of the bat which kind of made me mad. I wanted to see a ton of predators fighting a ton of Aliens, but instead the film was more like a one on one or the Aliens ganging up on the one last remaining Predator. I think that the movie IMO did not have enough action in it either, at least between the fighting of the Predators and Aliens. I think the movie would have been a lot better had there not been this whole sub plot of the human involvement. Can't we just see a movie where the Predators go to the alien planet and start killing Aliens. No dialogue, just action. And leaving the final battle as a tie where both die was kind of lame. I knew the studio would do that so no fans for either side would go nuts about who deserved to win, but regardless someone should have clearly won, and IMO it should have been the Predator. Overall the movie was decent enough, but certainly not a great film. I predict that it will do fairly well at the box office this weekend then it will have a huge drop off.

kool-aid killer
08-15-2004, 02:59 PM
SPOILERS!!!

I caught this last night and i cant help but feel a bit robbed. I hated how easily they dispatched the first two Predators and even the third one was jobbed. How is it that with the weaponry and skill of each Predator a single Alien could defeat one? Though in the Preds defense the humans did bungle up the game by taking their blasters and distracting them from the hunt. The only Predator we get to see kick tail is the third one (i loved how he sliced half the Aliens head off while inspecting the face hugger) and it can be argued that he "won" it. But in the end the movie didnt do much for me. The Predlien thing at the end was junk in my opinion. How is it that none of the Predators that came to recover his corpse noticed it and why did he himself not do anything realizing that he was infected also? Just one of the many plot holes that jumped out at me (and im not the type to sit through a movie the first time i see it looking for that kind of stuff) while sitting through it. Im hoping with this movie is the only AVP movie we get, i dont think i can stand more disappointment. :ermm:

derek
08-15-2004, 04:27 PM
i have a question, and even though i've seen all six films dealing with these characters, am i reading correct that if an alien facehugger attaches to a predator, it will produce a new species of alien? this dosen't seem to make sence, does it?

i could understand the human/alien hybrid in alien 4, as it was conceived via different means, that is, cloned blood, but why would a face hugger laying it's egg in a predator produce a new "predator-alien" hybrid?

or, are the aliens we've seen only the result of implanting their eggs in humans, and we've just happened to not see the other versions? but if this is true, then the alien that burst out of the android in alien 1 should of been different from all others. right? :confused: or am i recalling this incorrectly?

Beast
08-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Derek, the Aliens are more or less a parasitic species. The eggs that are implanted by the facehuggers take on some of the genetic aspects of the host. Most of the aliens we've seen in the movies have been from the infestation of human hosts. The Alien in Alien 3 is an exception to the rule. Because it came out of a dog/ox (depending on what version of the film you prefer), that's why it's not really bipedal like the other Aliens. And moves on four legs like an animal would. And there was no Alien that burst out of an Android in any of the movies. Since an Android couldn't be used as a host. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
08-16-2004, 05:04 PM
thanks, jar jar.:) it's been a while since i've seen alien 1. did that android die in the first one? i know in two he got ripped in 2, but i could of sworn the first one died. :confused:

Beast
08-16-2004, 05:14 PM
*** Spoilers for Alien ***

Yeah, in Alien Ripley goes and talks with Mother (the main computer) about the Alien. She finds out that Weyland/Yutani gave an order that was Science Officer Eyes only. The order basically states that the crew is expendable, as long as the sample of the alien creature is protected for their bio-weapons division. Ash (Science Officer) attacks her, and Ripley fights back. He gets a wound on his head, that leaks some of the white milky liquid. Ash attacks her, and basically tries to hold her down and force a rolled up magazine down her throat in a weird sexual type of scene.

Parker and Lambert show up and attack Ash, and end up knocking his head off with a fire extinguisher. And then shoving one of the cattle prods they built into his neck cavity to stop him. Ripley reconnects him, and questions him about the alien. Ash basically says that he was only following orders, and he admires the creature's purity. They decided to risk three in the escape shuttle and Parker fries Ash with the flamethrower. All this of course is later used to justify her distrust of Bishop in Aliens.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
08-16-2004, 07:19 PM
OK, it's coming back to me now.:)

The Alien in Alien 3 is an exception to the rule. Because it came out of a dog/ox (depending on what version of the film you prefer),

is the ox in the new director's cut? or technicaly the new studio cut? didn't finchner have a hands off position on the re-cut of alien 3?

Beast
08-16-2004, 07:29 PM
The ox is in the new extended cut, aye. And while Fincher didn't want anything to do with the re-cutting of Alien 3 for the DVD, his workprint cut was used as the guide for making it. The original cut of Alien 3 suffered from several things, and was a studio cut anyway. That's why in my opinion the re-cut/new cut is better. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
08-16-2004, 07:35 PM
cool, thanks. so i guess that mega box set is worth getting? ;)

why do you think so many fans hate alien 3 and 4? i'm no big fan of the series, but i thought they were all pretty good movies. i liked them all about the same. i didn't see anything majorly wrong with 3 or 4. i thought the films were all well made. :confused: it's not like 3 and 4 were "wing commander" quality or something. lol

Beast
08-16-2004, 07:53 PM
cool, thanks. so i guess that mega box set is worth getting? ;)

why do you think so many fans hate alien 3 and 4? i'm no big fan of the series, but i thought they were all pretty good movies. i liked them all about the same. i didn't see anything majorly wrong with 3 or 4. i thought the films were all well made. :confused: it's not like 3 and 4 were "wing commander" quality or something. lol
I own it, it's well worth it. 2 cuts of each movie, audio commentary, and a tons of extras. Hell yeah it's worth it. Especially when you can get it at Wal-Mart for like $75+. :)

Why do some fans hate Alien 3 and 4? I think because Alien 3 destroyed the good things about Aliens. It set up Ripley, Hicks, Newt, and Bishop to actually be somewhat happy at the end. And then they killed Hicks and Newt so lamely in Alien 3. I think many people felt that now saving Newt at the end of Aliens meant nothing. Not to mention Newt was set-up basically to be the next Ripley, should Sigourney drop out of the series. Which I can see both arguments. Plus the whole promise of the early teasers about it taking place on Earth, never paid off. Cause it was a penal colony instead.

As for Alien 4. It's not my favorite in the series, but I don't see it as being too bad. I think it's just a matter of taste, because the movie was so unconnected to the other three. Since it was a clone Ripley, and was set so far in the future. Not having 'The Company' as a foil for Ripley, and things like that. Plus the director's movies have an eclectic taste, you either really love them or really find them god awful. I thought Alien 4 was ok, but I think both 3 and 4 would have been better had they followed another direction. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
08-16-2004, 11:26 PM
why do you think so many fans hate alien 3 and 4?
Alien 3 was boring. I am not one of those people who think the studio is awesome or gutsy for killing all of the major characters and ending the series on a wholly depressing note. Killing Newt and Hicks cheapened Aliens. Alien 4 seemed like a contrived attempt to make still more money. And it did so by cheapening Alien 3!

Exhaust Port
08-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Alien 3 was boring. I am not one of those people who think the studio is awesome or gutsy for killing all of the major characters and ending the series on a wholly depressing note. Killing Newt and Hicks cheapened Aliens. Alien 4 seemed like a contrived attempt to make still more money. And it did so by cheapening Alien 3!
I agree 100%. I remember walking out of Aliens 4 and thinking that Aliens 4 actually made Aliens 3 look good. Ugh.

scruffziller
08-17-2004, 09:47 AM
How cool was it that we saw Ewan Bremmer in AVP!!!!:D
AKA SPUD!!!!!!!!!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
08-17-2004, 01:18 PM
I have mixed feelings about AvP, but thought some of those fight scenes were pretty slick. Did anyone else notice Weyland doing the hand thing with his pen in the beginning of the movie like Bishop with Hudson in Aliens? Pretty good laugh.

bigbarada
08-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Alien 3 was a major disappointment for me, I thought that the only logical next step for the series was to bring the fight to Earth on a grand scale; but instead all we got was a over-stylized remake of Alien 1.

I didn't even bother with Alien 4 until it came out on video, and even then it seemed like a low grade sequel not even up to the level of your average Sci-Fi channel program.

I do plan to see this film in the theaters if I can make it (with college starting up next week, it might be gone by the time I can afford it); but I don't have any real expectations for it.

billfremore
08-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Wow, everybody sure hates Alien³.

I felt much the same way after I saw it as I was expecting them to "ramp it up" after Cameron's Aliens.

But after repeated viewings (my wife loves these movies) I have grown to appreciate Fincher's Alien offering as quite good.

(Although I am still miffed about no explanation as to how a alien egg got on board)

AVP, where to start?

Did this writer have any original ideas or did he think the movie-going audience so stupid that we would not recognize the fact there was not one original idea used in this movie (with the exception of the reason why the As and Ps were on earth)

So many elements were ripped off from both movie series that I think it would have been more enjoyable to just go back and watch them instead.

Now from a purely geeky, fanboy standpoint the Alien/Predator fight was pretty cool but in my advancing age I require a bit more than just action in a movie (see: Chronicles of Riddick, Van Helsing, etc., etc.)

And somebody please tell me why they would kill off Weyland in the movie? This was a golden continuity opportunity to have him survive and show the origin of The Company's interest in Aliens, but no let's just have Lance Henriksen show up in the movie, make his name Charles BISHOP WEYLAND and that'll make the fanboys line up around the block.

AVP, see it once, but don't get your hopes up.

Hellboy
08-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Wow, everybody sure hates Alien³.

I felt much the same way after I saw it as I was expecting them to "ramp it up" after Cameron's Aliens.

But after repeated viewings (my wife loves these movies) I have grown to appreciate Fincher's Alien offering as quite good.

This sums up exactly how I feel.

(Although I am still miffed about no explanation as to how a alien egg got on board)

I've thought about this as well and it sure would've been nice to get a solid anwser in the film. I think the most logical explanation would be that Bishop put an egg on the Drop-Ship after remote piloting it down to the surface. Ripley's conversation with Bishop (or whats left of him) would indicate that he wasn't aware of the Alien presence until accessing the Sulaco's flight recorder but he could've been programmed with a mandate to bring back a live specimen by the company that he wasn't aware of and thus had no recollection of his actions. Other than that no one else would've had an opportunity to leave an egg on the ship unless you'd rather believe the Queen brought one with her.

Beast
08-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Bishop had nothing to do with the egg on board in Alien III. I forget where this info comes from, but it's supposed to be the canon explaination. It's also much more clear in Alien 3's Extended Cut. The queen without her egg sac was still able to lay one egg, to ensure the survival of the species if something should happen to her. That's also why the Alien in Ripley was a Queen Alien. The larger Queen Facehugger unlike the normal one, doesn't die after implantation. It finds a secondary host for a second embryo, which protects the new Queen's host until the Queen chestburster reaches maturity. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
08-17-2004, 06:10 PM
Bishop had nothing to do with the egg on board in Alien III. I forget where this info comes from, but it's supposed to be the canon explaination. It's also much more clear in Alien 3's Extended Cut. The queen without her egg sac was still able to lay one egg, to ensure the survival of the species if something should happen to her. That's also why the Alien in Ripley was a Queen Alien. The larger Queen Facehugger unlike the normal one, doesn't die after implantation. It finds a secondary host for a second embryo, which protects the new Queen's host until the Queen chestburster reaches maturity. :)

When you have to put that much explanation into it, yet that info never finds its way into the theatrical release, I'm sorry but you have a sucky premise for a movie.

Thanks for the explanation JJB, but the writer/director/editor/whoever should have put that into the movie whether it be through a flashback or some other device. Else, it's just a cheap Dallas-Bobby-dreamt-the-whole-thing trick.

I'm still hoping that they do just one final flick, with Weaver and James Cameron, showing her stumbling onto the Alien homeworld and have a mother-of-a-battle and that it's not some cheap ripoff of previous versions. I think it would be easier for G.Lu to make a new good non-SW/non-Indy Jones movie, though. ;)

Beast
08-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Agreed, Alien 3 should have started with a flashback that showed the Queen laying an egg on the dropship. And also shown the whole 'Queen Embro' swimming out of Newt's dead mouth, and into Ripley's. Which I think both actually showed up in the comic version of Alien 3. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-19-2004, 09:05 PM
BD has an interview with Anderson about AVP and its problems. Enjoy.

About the studio's cutting of the film, which he had no control over, he said, and I quote, "All of the best scenes were cut." Anderson was obviously very annoyed at the way the film was released. However, this was not purely because of the PG-13 limitation, which incidentally, the studio enforced THREE WEEKS before the release date! It was always going to be R until then. Part of the reason for the cutting was that some of the effects were not ready by the time the release date came around. The effects team had very little time to do anything.

As far as the content that was cut, apparently we see all those who die, die on screen, but he also said that there is a sub-plot that we will have to wait for on DVD. Yes there will be an R-rated Director's cut DVD although they don't know the release date yet.

2-1B
02-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Whoops, if that's true then I think I took a bath on that PG-13 version I bought. :(

Tycho
03-11-2005, 12:44 PM
As far as the content that was cut, apparently we see all those who die, die on screen, but he also said that there is a sub-plot that we will have to wait for on DVD. Yes there will be an R-rated Director's cut DVD although they don't know the release date yet.

I saw this for my first time this week on DVD - my girlfriend doesn't like violent movies and I never got around to going to see it in theaters by myself.

However, I loved this flick! I have it out from the library right now and plan on watching it at least 2 more times! This was the best Alien or Predator movie of them all!

What was the sub-plot that you referred to?

On the DVD, you can watch the movie, or the extended version. I took off after the extended version, so I never knew what was in the regular theatrical release.

But this movie was awesome!

Hellboy
04-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Hey if you just happen to have $422 just sitting around you can get this exclusive Japanese MONSTER BOX SET that contains all 7 Alien and Predator films spread out over 14 DVDs. :crazed:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003961287/code-j/section-videos/

Tycho
12-18-2006, 03:44 AM
I just watched this one again and really liked it.

I've been reading through the discussion and noted the change in attitude from naysayers, to the trailer impressing folks, to a somewhat tolerant attitude of the final film AvP turned out to be. One can hope this happens on Wednesday for the Transformers.

But nevertheless I can watch AvP a bunch of times and enjoy.

I don't think they could do away with human characters in a AvP movie, as general audience members will lack anyone to identify with. It's for the same reason Star Trek doesn't attempt an all-Klingon show or something of that nature. Transformers will also likely have too much to do with Spike and other humans in the movie. For introductory films, such as AvP (introducing the hunt and the battles) that works. It will likely have to continue in the AvP universe, but the Transformers will be speaking English in the first film, so one can only hope they have more freedom to shift their focus.

"Freedom is a right of all sentient beings." (Hehe. Had to type that one.)