PDA

View Full Version : Cloned management from one job to the next.

scruffziller
09-29-2003, 10:22 AM
Ever have a job where you have a manager that acts a certain way and then you go to a new job and there is a guy there the same way. Usually one that is really annoying that is a big time pencil pusher that uses info and orders instead experience and understanding. And because of that the resources are all messed up and focused in the wrong places. What is funny, is that you get one person in there wishing they would leave and then when they do leave and the one who replaces them is worse. Can't win for losing.:(

billfremore
09-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the joys of working.

I do agree, it seems every office or workplace is like that.
As for the manager's behaviour that's true everywhere, nobody ever gets promoted from within anymore.

This is why you get idiots whose only training is in managing and theory and they have no concept of practical details.

I find most managers, especially senior managers, are like a bunch of spoiled children.

scruffziller
09-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Luckily one of the guys who worked with us before is back and has had like 20 years grocery experience in other grocery stores and in all departments. The guy I was speaking of above has no experience at all in grocery so he looks at how it is worked from General Merchandise perspective only and has no concept of the demands that the dairy entails and how much time it takes with one person, to do it right. Hopefully the guy who returned will set this other guy straight with it. They the 2 overnight assistants. Sometimes one of them works and sometimes they both do, thankfully they both work on the night that is the busiest. The beauty that is the WM Supercenter.:rolleyes:

Jaff
10-01-2003, 11:07 PM
I can only hope that my employees don't think that of me!

Dr Zoltar
10-02-2003, 01:40 PM
I've had jobs like that before. Two of the worst things I've come across are:

1) Your manager takes credit for something you've done.
2) You've been told throughout the year that you're an outstanding performer, but when review time comes around you get an "average" review so the company doesn't have to give you a big raise.

I'm lucky now. I have a kick butt manager (who has like 3 kick butt managers above him) who totally looks out for me. I'm definately not taking him for granted.

scruffziller
10-02-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm lucky now. I have a kick butt manager (who has like 3 kick butt managers above him) who totally looks out for me. I'm definately not taking him for granted.
Boy I sure hope it stay's like that, because it didn't for me.:D

I can only hope that my employees don't think that of me!If you are in some kind of management at WM, then yes.
If management somewhere else, most likely too.

Exhaust Port
10-04-2003, 09:30 AM
It seems to me that a certain personality type is what gets permoted (sp?) and survives in the management world. I too have had a few managers that seem to have been punched from the same mold....and it wasn't a good mold. How do people like that make it in the professional world? They know how to massage the system just enough to allow them to coast by and hide their sub-par leadership ability.

In my experience it does seem that usually it catches up with them at some point. Employees get sick of picking up the slack and covering their bosses butt leaving them exposed to failure and when the #$#@ hits the fan, he/she will be left standing alone.

scruffziller
09-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Update in my world on this thread. A manager that had come from days after I wrote this thread, went back to days on our General Merchandise side of the WM store, today!!!
She had been with us on overnights about 4 years. I got along with her for the most part but only because I bit my lip. Which I do with most things. But, she really was a giant thorn in my side and to everyone else. She had a poor attitude everyday. Everything was a conspiracy. She would sacrifice the integrity of the job for her personal whims. Like if it was her last day of the week, she made us skimp on things that needed to be done so she could get out early. Many people liked that part, but I am of the mind that I know where my paycheck and "bonus" comes from. Plus with my responsibilities, the storage sections in the back room cannot be left behind for very long. Otherwise the back stock piles up like no tomorrow. When she would give extensive instructions on projects for the night, she would tell you most of the info you needed to know but would leave out essential details. She did this because it all made sense to her in her head because she knew exactly what it was but wouldn't spell it out for us.

I have found out that the contemptible people you work with will eventually go away. Because that which makes them contemptible, is an irritant that makes them unhappy there and then want to leave.

Tycho
09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
My clone commander acts like he thinks he's Jango Fett or something.

Then he got blown up by a Homing Spider Droid.

So I got transfered to a new unit, and my clone commander in that unit thinks he's Jango Fett, as well.

What is it with these guys? They act like someone programmed them or something.

Blue2th
09-07-2008, 11:18 PM
It's the same management school they all go to. They're turning them out like sausages.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Update in my world on this thread. A manager that had come from days after I wrote this thread, went back to days on our General Merchandise side of the WM store, today!!!
She had been with us on overnights about 4 years.Wow, been at Wal-Mart that long? I was there a little over two years and I was looking for something else not long after I started there. I left there in 1998 and have been at the same job ever since. There aren't many people still there from my time there Heck, most of the original managers were gone by the time I left.

My frustration began pretty much from the start. This was a brand new store when I started in 1996. I was in the cash office. We had six people to start with, and I was hired as part time, though I worked full time from the start and stayed that way. I almost got overlooked and didn't get hired in the first place. I figured in that since this was a new store, they would make sure we were all trained and ready to go once the store opened. They only sent a couple of people from the cash office to another store for training.

The week before we opened, I didn't really have much to do. I looked through accounting manual, but without a chance to practice, I couldn't really learn much. I was supposed to work closing shift the first day, but I got a call late in the morning to come in and help. I got there around noon. It was chaos and it didn't seem like people really knew what was going on. I ended staying past midnight as they were trying to figure out how to close something out on the computer. I wasn't really doing anything at that point because I didn't know what to do, but I didn't want to just take off and make a bad impression on my first day.

After a couple weeks, the office manager quit. They moved a customer service person with pervious Wal-Mart experience (I think she was from Arkansas) in as the office manager. They brought someone from another store to help train her and we got caught up on a lot of the stuff we hadn't been doing the first couple weeks. Even then, we still weren't doing everything right or everything we were supposed to be doing. We should have learned all of this before the store opened. It was a month between the time I was hired and the time I started working. That week and a half that I worked before the store opened, no one really had time to train us because they were all focused on getting the store ready for grand opening.