PDA

View Full Version : Frank & Son (SoCal)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2001, 10:37 PM
Despite all the negativity I'd heard about this "scalpers' paradise," I had my first go around with the warehouse of collectibles. First, found an actual parking space in an actual parking lot within a minute. Second, I found a Sith Attack Speeder for only $10.

I missed out on the Pit o' Parking Horror!

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 08:49 AM
Cool! Didja have fun too?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2001, 04:48 PM
Well, JT cool is the wrong term; it was el mucho hot-o. But aside from the guy who was more interested in talking about the Zahn trilogy and dualogy books and how "fans" don't understand what Attack of the Clones means than making a potential sale to me, and the seller yelling at "hey lady" to not damage his expensive Cal Ripken card by leaving the card holder open the wrong way... yes, I had fun!

stillakid
08-19-2001, 05:31 PM
Where is this place in S. Cal? What's it called?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2001, 11:23 AM
Frank and Sons Collectible Show is in the City of Industry, open Wednesdays from 4-9pm and Saturdays 10-5pm (I think). It's north of the 60 freeway off Fairway exit, in a warehouse on San Jose St. (I think). Check out their website www.fs-collectibles.com for more info, as well as JediTricks on this site (he's who helped me with info).

stillakid
08-20-2001, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info. Are the prices reasonable, or standard marked-up comic shop deals? Any vintage stuff available?

Mandalorian Candidat
08-20-2001, 03:19 PM
I'll put it this way... it's a paradise for scalpers hawking their wares.

stillakid
08-20-2001, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I won't waste my time.

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 03:09 AM
I have found fantastic deals at F&S, though most of the stuff you see goes from "slightly over retail" to "what the heck were they thinking with THAT price?!?" ;) Think of it as a middle eastern bazaar, some folks are there to rip you off, some are there to make a living, but almost everybody is interesting.

Avoid going in the summer though, think about all those geeks (like me) crammed into one air-conditioning-free warehouse in the sweltering heat. :D

Glad to hear you had a good time Bel-cam, sorry a couple folks were really nutso though.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2001, 11:07 AM
I figure that 2 wacky people out of hundreds is a good percentage, JT!

Don't say "Thanks for the heads up. I won't waste my time" just because it's a "paradise for scalpers hawking their wares." There were several decent deals there, on items I already have. But of course there were "what the heck were they thinking with THAT price?!?" sales. (I am the master of quoting today!!) Vintage, POTF2, POTJ, E1 stuff was a-plenty, plus comics (no Marvel SW, though!), cards, etc. Lots of Nascar, sports cards and signed items, other toys, Manga, wrestling (ugh), etc. etc. etc., too.

It's free too! Check it out, if you've got the time. Or don't. :)

stillakid
08-21-2001, 11:01 PM
I'm trying to complete my vintage collection. Are there reasonable prices and inventory of that stuff?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-22-2001, 11:02 AM
Stillakid, the problem I noticed was few sellers actually had their prices shown; you'd have to ask the guy/gal "cuanto questa?" Which is Spanish for "is this too expensive?"

The Vintage selection was pretty good in a few places.

Darth Cruel
08-23-2001, 01:20 AM
Have any of you L.A. dwellers been there recently? Is it just me or are some of the vendors down there actually selling figures for a little closer to reasonable prices. I was down there about two weeks ago and saw the Darth Maul Sith Apprentice and the Sand Trooper Waves for 8.00 per figure. The funny thing was that in the booth directly across from that one, they had the DMSA for 25.00 and the Sandtrooper for 15.00.

I guess we better take advantage of this before the EII madness starts.

AmanaMatt
08-23-2001, 12:10 PM
Stillakid, there's really only one dude with any real kinda of quality vintage...name's Nan - he's in the third row from the left, in the middle aisle, on the right side. He also has a store that I've been to in the Pasadena-ish area that quite cool. Prices are a little high, but has a good selection of loose and especially carded vintage. He's got a telescoping Luke I've been eyeing!

stillakid
08-23-2001, 01:08 PM
Thanks. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2001, 04:33 PM
There's a thread here in "Just Found" about F n' S. I got a Sith Attack Speeder for $10, about 5 minutes after seeing one for $20. You just have to look around and not buy the first one you see!

Darth Cruel
08-24-2001, 12:19 AM
As much as I give frank-n-Scalpers a hard time...I still go down there every few weeks to look at the new stuff. To me it is worth the 55-miles-or-so trip just to check out the selection. I still won't buy from there because I live in an area where I eventually find everything if I have a little patience. Lucky for me I don't feel I have to be the first person on Earth to have each new item any more. I used to panick that I may miss out on something and wasted a lot of money buying stupid stuff.

I can proudly say, though, that I am the happy (yeah, right) owner of about 20 long saber x-wing lukes, and about 5 each of all the other long saber figures as well as 5 half cirlce hand Boba Fetts. Hey! Maybe I can sell them to a scalper at F-n-S! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
08-24-2001, 10:05 AM
I can't express how much I despise those guys, but I guess I have to get off my high horse because I may just take another trip down there. I've been looking for some vintage figure accessories, especially weapons. Does anyone know if there are sellers there that can offer them separately from the figures. I don't care if they are repro or OG.

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
Have any of you L.A. dwellers been there recently? Is it just me or are some of the vendors down there actually selling figures for a little closer to reasonable prices. I was down there about two weeks ago and saw the Darth Maul Sith Apprentice and the Sand Trooper Waves for 8.00 per figure. The funny thing was that in the booth directly across from that one, they had the DMSA for 25.00 and the Sandtrooper for 15.00.

I guess we better take advantage of this before the EII madness starts. First off, I merged the original thread this was from with the other thread about Frank & Son collector show (this one).

Second, I'm not that surprised about price drops, the stuff isn't that HTF anymore (I saw DM SA last night at TRU) and during the summer, nobody wants to go to a sweltering warehouse with no A/C, so these guys have to actually get competative. I almost always check for better prices when I'm there unless the first price was already reasonable.

Darth Cruel
08-25-2001, 12:56 AM
Mand Can - Not anymore. There used to be TONS of vintage stuff, loose and carded. Including accessories of all kinds. But now there is only a smattering of vintage stuff. But it is still there in small quantities. I kind of miss the way that place used to be, before they moved.

12 inch jango
08-25-2001, 02:57 AM
F and S is great to just see what's out there. True, they do have to cover the 45-50 bucks per Saturday or Wednesday's that they're open. Just be sure to keep your wits about you. These are just friggin toys we're talking about. Bel Cam, I believe you stated that you bought the Sith Attack Speeder for 10 bucks? Well, you made the seller a 100% profit because TRU were selling them for $4.97 according to another collector friend. Oh well, as long as you both were happy with the transaction. Anyway, one good thing to do is just network with other collector friends and combat the so called "scalpers". SCALPERS CANNOT COVER 100% OF THE STORES 100% OF THE TIME. Sometimes they come pretty damn near to it at times. But we collectors, with a little heads up and polite attitude with toy store employees, can pretty much get what we want.

JediTricks
08-25-2001, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
Mand Can - Not anymore. There used to be TONS of vintage stuff, loose and carded. Including accessories of all kinds. But now there is only a smattering of vintage stuff. But it is still there in small quantities. I kind of miss the way that place used to be, before they moved. I too miss how it used to be when it was on Gale ave (st?), all laid back and a total mess. Now it's better, but there are so many more people and some of the attitudes are pretty lame. But, as long as I can buy a few Happy Meals toys for a buck each where the money goes to charity, the new one will always have more going for it.

As for Vint, a lot of dealers still have that stuff, but they don't bring it in anymore because there's SO MUCH new stuff to make money off of. However, if you see someone with some vint, you should ask if they have it, maybe they'll bring it in next time. That's how I got my loose vint Biker Scout for $10.

AmanaMatt
08-25-2001, 09:08 PM
found the Shmi and Xwing Luke waves, as well as Tie Interceptors at our favorite scalpermart.

The deal about F&S is that you have to create rapport with some of the dealers. Good deals can sometimes be found. Like today, A guy sold me the Tie Interceptor for $65

that last part is only a joke, no dumba$$ jokes, please!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-26-2001, 05:22 PM
Bel Cam, I believe you stated that you bought the Sith Attack Speeder for 10 bucks? Well, you made the seller a 100% profit because TRU were selling them for $4.97 according to another collector friend.
As far as I've seen, those at TRU are the Sith Speeder, not the Invasion Force Sith Attack Speeder. So I don't think I added to his profit (although I'm sure he did make money on my sale; why wouldn't he?). I have not seen a Sith Attack Speeder in a retail store.

12 inch jango
08-27-2001, 01:56 AM
The Invasion Force Sith Attack Speeders that my friend picked up for me were in the Burbank TRU. In fact, he found two last Saturday afternoon. The price on this was as I stated previously at $4.97. Not a bad deal at all. You might wanna call them periodically to see if they've got them in. I would imagine that the Jar Jar and Gungan Assault Cannon as well as the Obi-Wan and Gungan Scout Sub both come shipped in the same box as the Darth Maul Invasion Force. Anyone out there know this to be true? I'm glad Amanamatt was BS-ing about the 65 buck Tie Interceptor.

KiValleyTiger
08-27-2001, 10:47 AM
When I found the Sith Attack Speeder (Invasion Force) at Van Nuys TRU couple months ago, the case came with 4 of them, 1 Obiwan with sub, 1 Jar2 with assault cannon and 2 battle droid with armored tanks.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-27-2001, 11:37 AM
I'm east of F n S by about 15-20 miles or so, so I don't head out into the LA metro area that often. The TRU stores near me have had only the old Sith Speeder with cloth Maul, so finding this one for $10 was a good deal for me. I'd spend $75 in gas to go west! ;) Thanks for the info, though!

Cool Han Luke
08-28-2001, 10:55 AM
I was curious as to what F&S was selling the Interceptors and the new figures for. Were there any takers? I guess if you want to get everything in one shot its a good thing but so much for the thrill of hunting and the satisfaction of paying retail.

WookieRuiz
08-29-2001, 03:04 PM
I picked up the new X-Wing Luke and Vader for $9 a piece.