PDA

View Full Version : The Official SSG INDIANA JONES Thread! (SPOILERS)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Tycho
09-30-2003, 04:17 AM
Hello Raiders!

I've just watched Temple of Doom, and am about to stay up all night watching Indy find the lost ark and undertake the last crusade!

It's been a long time since I've viewed these films.

Does the Insider and the general Indy-hype often found around SW fans over these films ever annoy you?

Sometimes you go, "OK, just because I'm a huge SW fan doesn't mean I have to like everything George does. Or just because it's so bandwagon to say you like these films. Why do I have to be force-fed them just because everybody else says they're so cool, they belong in MY Star Wars magazine?"

Sometimes I'd wondered that, having not watched my copies in some time.

Now I've only watched Temple of Doom, the first one if you play them in Chron order (Temple takes place in 1935, while Raiders is set in 1937, and Last Crusade in 1939 I think.) But I AM INTO INDIANA JONES AGAIN!

I keep whistling that darn theme music and my cats think I'm crazy.

I'm probably going to be up all night watching these films.

They will NOT bore you.

If you haven't hung with Indy in a while, EVERYONE, go put your vidoes on!

These are action films!

Pendo
09-30-2003, 04:27 AM
I have not watched these movies in a long time! I used to watch them quite frequently but since the DVD set was announced last year I have decided not to watch them until the DVDs are released (only 21 days to go :D). I can't wait for the DVDs I've been waiting for them since I first started getting DVDs.

I am looking forward to Indiana Jones 4, hopefully it'll be as good as the others :).

PENDO!

El Chuxter
09-30-2003, 09:55 AM
With Stevie Spielberg, Harry Ford, Johnny Williams (and hopefully Sean Connery and Jean Rhys-Davies) returning, I believe not even an aging Lucas can blow this one. :happy:

Yes, these are awesome movies, and I'm not one to love everything Lucas has done. SW, Indy, Willow, and Howard the Duck are awesome, but the rest doesn't do much for me. (See? I like "most" but not "all" of his stuff.)

jjreason
10-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Upon first watching Temple of Doom, I thought it was the biggest letdown of a sequel ever. Thankfully, a few viewings later, Im a little happier with it.

I think Raiders is the best of the three by far, and Last Crusade was much better than Temple. I'll be very happy when I can have them on DVD in just a few short weeks! The music alone is worth the price! :cool:

Exhaust Port
10-01-2003, 05:24 PM
When do the DVD's hit the shelves?

James Boba Fettfield
10-01-2003, 05:42 PM
October 21, I do believe.

Exhaust Port
10-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Awesome! Those will be a worth addition to the DVD collection.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-01-2003, 11:14 PM
I must say i love all these films, but my favorite lies in Last Crusade. Yeah, blasphemy!!! I think Temple is VERY underappreciated, but that's just me. Arc is a classic film; it definately deserves massive props from any movie lover. For me, Crusade was just tops. From showing Indy as a kid, to his dad, the moments w/ Marcus and that cool a-- Knight at the end.

"He chose...poorly"

I cannot wait for these DVD's!! :D

Pendo
10-02-2003, 03:34 AM
Folks in thre UK will be getting the DVD a day earlier than you guys in the US :D!

I agree with Jedi_Master_Guyute, The Temple of Doom is very underappreciated, I love that movie :D. My faves go in the order they were made, Raiders, Temple and Crusade, but I love them all almost equaly :).

PENDO!

Anakin2121
10-02-2003, 11:58 AM
I must say i love all these films, but my favorite lies in Last Crusade.

Same here. :)

Dr Zoltar
10-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Hey, this DVD comes out on my birthday! Time to drop a not-too-subtle hint to my wife...

Tycho
10-03-2003, 06:36 PM
I've been watching Temple of Doom and Raiders over and over again.

I have to say I like Temple of Doom the Best!

I love the pacing, the action, and the rollercoaster ride it takes you through from the crash out the window in the gangster-run Shang-Hai to the fall out of the airplane and that white-water river ride, to the cave trap with the spikes, all the exotic animals (and that dinner- oh my!) and then the huge temple with the Thuggie human-sacrafice and the lava pit, and finally the real rollercoaster ride through hell on those mining carts in the lava pits of the slave mines of Bankot! Then the alligators and the suspension bridge and sword fighting!

Nah! Temple of Doom had it all.

The Thuggies made the Nazi's look tame.

I admit it's been a while since I watched Last Crusade, so that's on the plan for tonight. But Temple of Doom rocks!

Khali-Mah! Khali-Mah! Khali-Mah!

Tycho
10-04-2003, 01:08 PM
I like Last Crusade better than Raiders, too.

I've been watching them all now. I can't decide whether I like Temple of Doom or Last Crusade better, but they are both awesome movies!

Raiders is too, but it doesn't have the action and adventure pacing as the other two I think.

In the case of the Indiana Jones movies, to me they get better as they go on.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Damn dude, with that reasoning, the next one is going to cos a eurphoric state of bliss! I'm quite lookin' forward to the next one. I have MUCH faith in Spielberg and i don't think Ford would've revisited the character if the script sucked; then again, Ford did do "Hollywood Homicide" but hey, we all have our sore spots. :D

dr_evazan22
10-15-2003, 10:21 AM
Hi guys!

I work PT at UPS loading delivery trucks.

I wanted to let everyone that cares know that the Indy DVD was shipped to a bunch of stores in my area today, including Best Buy, and it looks like it also went to Staples, of all places (the boxes all had the same Do Not Put OUt Until... stickers on them).

So, if you, or someone you know, collects store displays, this would be a good time to ask for any extras.

mrmiller
10-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Best Buy has a 5th disk for the Indiana Jones Box set- whatís up?

What is the deal with the bonus disk at Best Buy? It seems like they keep getting extra disks that no one else does. Itís not that big of a deal to me, as a Best Buy is very close to me, but I do think itís a rip off that the studio holds back content that could be included in the box set for everyone. Plus the bonus disk is limited, and doesnít come with every copy at Best Buy. They did the same thing last week with the Matrix, but most of that extra content was ripped from the first DVD and the Animatrix. This looks like new content that will be exclusive to Best Buy. So is there no way to really get a comprehensive Indiana Jones DVD collection? I donít fault Best buy for offering it, but I think it sucks for the studio to hold out content that should be included in the box set.

=MATT=

El Chuxter
10-20-2003, 11:24 AM
The bonus discs aren't anything new, unfortunately. Various stores (usually Best Buy, Target, and occasionally Wal-Mart) get exclusive content pretty regularly for both CD's and DVD's. You pretty much have to check the sales ads each week, because they're normally pretty good about telling you they've got bonus stuff.

Beast
10-20-2003, 11:57 AM
Note that the IJ Bonus disc at Best Buy is just 10 minutes from the original 'Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark' program that came out on TV back when the movie opened in the theater. Consider it a quasi-preview disc, as currently Lucasfilm/Spielburg is supposedly going to release a stand-alone DVD with all three of the 'Making Of' progrms on it. Plus a fourth one, which I don't recall what it was about. So the DVD is basically a 'sample' disc of what is to supposedly on the way. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
10-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Does anyone have any news on who'll have it cheapest? It seems that just about everyone is selling it for about $45. Target doesn't have it in its weekly ad and I've heard no news about WM's price, though they seem to be better by a few bucks on average.

Beast
10-20-2003, 02:26 PM
I swear I saw it in Target's ad for either $45 or $50. I'd have to snag the ad, and I don't have it handy at the moment. Cheapest place is probably on-line, but other then that Best Buy or Wal-Mart is your best bet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
10-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Target had it advertised, but as "low price." My suspicions are that the major retailers stopped printing their prices on major DVD releases thinking they can't be undercut. D'oh!!

James Boba Fettfield
10-20-2003, 02:34 PM
The cheapest I've seen it is $44.29, and that's at (of course) deepdiscountdvd. Of course you'll have to wait for it to arrive in the mail, but it beats paying $45 in the store and then getting sales tax thrown on with it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-20-2003, 02:41 PM
JBFF- the 44.29, that doesn't include S&H does it? You'd have to pay S&H most likely, so it'd be closer to 50. I'm going to see if my mum can get a set at Best Buy; if not, wally world it is. Won't get it till x-mas though, but i'll manage! :D

James Boba Fettfield
10-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Deepdiscount is free shipping.

I guess I should add, you can pay for faster shipping if you want, but I always use their free shipping, and I can say I've never gotten a package lost in the mail or crushed or anything.

Beast
10-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Actually, the reason you see 'Low Price' anymore for big releases, is due to MAP = Minimum Advertised Price. Basically there were a lot of complaints from smaller stores, that large retailers (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc) would use big releases as 'Loss Leaders' to get people in the stores.

So now it's commen for major releases to have a MAP, so that stores can't advertise them incredibly low, and steal business from other stores. But there is typically a way to figure out what the actual price for a 'Low Price' item will be, if you watch for the signs. Basically, just look at the items right next to it. 9 times out of 10, the price will be the exact same.

Here's some examples from this weeks ads. Target - Low Price, but it's right next to Dark Angel...which is advertised at 45.99. So Target's price should be, $45.99. Best Buy - Low Price, but it's right next to 'Hercules: The Legendary Journies: Season 2...which is advertised at 44.99. So Best Buy's price should be, $44.99. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
10-20-2003, 03:23 PM
Guyote, deepdiscountdvd.com (and deepdiscountcd.com) are usually the cheapest option, but I'd caution against ordering them there if you want them in the next couple of weeks. They're cheap, and they've got great service, but I've never found them to be quick. ;)

James Boba Fettfield
10-20-2003, 03:37 PM
You serious, Chux? Wow, whenever I order from them I get it within the standard seven day week, or if it's a preorder, then it comes a day or two before street date. Maybe it's your crazy California state you live in.

El Chuxter
10-20-2003, 03:51 PM
You serious, Chux? Wow, whenever I order from them I get it within the standard seven day week, or if it's a preorder, then it comes a day or two before street date. Maybe it's your crazy California state you live in.

Nah, just about everything I order (even new releases) shows up as in stock when I order it, but the status suddenly changes to "On Backorder" once the order info is posted. It doesn't bother me, since it's generally at least $2-$3 cheaper, but I wouldn't go through them for anything I needed lickety-split.

Pendo
10-21-2003, 03:01 AM
I got this DVD set yesterday, and I must say it is truley wonderful :D! The image quality for a movie that old is excelent, LucasFilm has done an excelent job at cleaning it up :)! The sound is also superb :). The extras are great too, I'd totaly forgot the disapointment of not having any deleted scenes, this proves that a DVD set doesn't need deleted scenes to be great :D!

PENDO!

Beast
10-21-2003, 03:25 AM
Exactly Pendo. Seriously it's a shame that now there is so much emphasis placed on the extras and not the movie. And that so many releases are judged whether they are good or not by the ammount of Extras on the release. It shouldn't be the way. The determining factor for buying any movie shouldn't be the 'audio commentary', 'deleted scenes' or 'bonus features'. The movie is what's important, everything else is what it should be, an extra. Now I'll be the first to admit I have been swayed to pick up movies that I am on the fence about, due to great extras. But if I don't like the movie at all, why would I care about it's extras. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-21-2003, 09:06 AM
My Pops said that he was going to head to Best buy during his lunch hour and pick up the 5-disc set for me. I won't get it till christmas, but i can wait; i've waited how many years now!??!? Another 2 months won't be TOO bad!!
enjoy your sets, kids! :D (mike runs off humming the Indy theme)

mrmiller
10-21-2003, 10:29 AM
Thats funny JJB/Pendo. I am constantly buying DVD's as much for the Extras as for the moive. Then what happens? I watch the movie 2 or 3 times and never check out the extras :rolleyes: I love the comentary tracks, but that is a pretty big time investment to do, so I end up just watching the movie. I still haven't watched everyting in the LOTR:FOTR special edition, and I've made several stabs at it. I'm looking forward to the extras on the Indiana Jones set as well, and am going ot make it a point to watch them as soon as I finish going through the movies.

=MATT=

dr_evazan22
10-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Has anyone else gotten an email from indianajones.com today?

I was never signed up, and didn't really know it existed, but presumed I got it b/c I belong to the OSW site.

edit:

I forgot to add that the Indy DVD is 44.98 at Best Buy (price wasn't advertised in paper b/c of exclusive). It is regularly priced at 56.99.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-21-2003, 10:58 AM
Yes, the movie should be the primary reason to buy a DVD, but if I already have it on video and the DVD just has the movie with a couple of piddly extras I won't get it, no matter how much I like it. Of course the OT would be the exception to my rule. :)

Back on the subject...WM has the box set this week for $37.98. The regular price is something like $46.44. A good deal for three class-A movies. That's about half the price of the Godfather Trilogy set.

El Chuxter
10-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Wal-Marts usually vary widely in price. The one by my house has it for $38.88. The one by my work is $43.76.

bobafrett
10-21-2003, 11:33 PM
I picked up this set at Target for around $45.00. My son and I watched the first one, Raiders of the lost Ark. He hadn't seen it before, and it had been some years since I had, so it was nice being able to take in this wonderful film again.

Dr Zoltar
10-22-2003, 12:17 AM
My wife picked this up for me at Best Buy for $45 and the bonus 5th disc. I thought she'd have to wait in a big 'ole line to get it. But when the store opened it was her and one other lady. The thing is, the 5th disc is packed with the box set and not every box set has it. You have to check the back for a bump under the slip case. And as is par for stores like Best Buy, the employees had no idea about the extra disc promotion. She eventually had to get the manager who was the only one who knew anything about it.

mrmiller
10-22-2003, 01:25 AM
I picked mine up at Best Buy as well, and you're right Zoltar- the Bonus disk is pretty much hidden. It does mention that is included on the front of the box set, but you really don't see it in the package. If you go through enough packs, I bet you can still find one with the disk for a few days.

As soon as I got home I poped in Raiders. I must say- Wow! A great job with the remastering, and even better job with the sound. Its flat out amazing. I can hardly wait until tomorrow night when I get to watch Temple of Doom, then Thursday for Last Crusade. This was money well spent.

=MATT=

Pendo
10-22-2003, 03:13 AM
Has anyone else gotten an email from indianajones.com today?

I was never signed up, and didn't really know it existed, but presumed I got it b/c I belong to the OSW site.
I got one too, your IndianaJones.com signup is the exact same as your StarWars.com one, so you don't have to re-signup for it :).

PENDO!

bobafrett
10-22-2003, 08:05 AM
Dang, is Best Buy the only place with the bonus fifth disc? I knew I should have read here before making my purchase. I ran out and bought LOTR only to find out that a month or so later there would be one released with more.

darthvyn
10-22-2003, 10:00 AM
yeah, what's on this elusive 5th disc, anyone?

El Chuxter
10-22-2003, 10:02 AM
Yeah, it's a Best Buy exclusive, and, unfortunately, I believe the two UPCs are different so you wouldn't be able to exchange it. :(

A verrrry interesting observation on this set. Remember three or four years when the series, as well as the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, were re-released on VHS? Lucas (pretty much) had this to say:

Okay, listen up, because here's the way it's always been, even if you didn't know it. The movie you thought was the first? It's the second. Temple of Doom was really a prequel. Sure, I didn't tell you, but you should've figured it out. Also, the title of that film is now officially "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark." Just like Star Wars: A New Hope, those movie exec jerks wouldn't let me call it that. Also, these are chapters 37-39 [or something like that]. Each episode of Young Indy is a separate chapter, and they're the first 36. It's the way I've always planned it, so there!

Anywho. . . . Look at the packaging on your new sets. Temple is packed second, and there are no episode numbers anywhere. But Raiders keeps the new name. Weird.

Maybe no one complained about the episodes and such, and Lucas just forgot. Out of sight, out of mind? If that's the case, we should quit complaining about the SW Saga, and we'll get Classic Trilogy (not SE) discs in two or three years. :)

Beast
10-22-2003, 10:05 AM
yeah, what's on this elusive 5th disc, anyone?
I posted a basic breakdown of it, a page ago. :)

Note that the IJ Bonus disc at Best Buy is just 10 minutes from the original 'Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark' program that came out on TV back when the movie opened in the theater. Consider it a quasi-preview disc, as currently Lucasfilm/Spielburg is supposedly going to release a stand-alone DVD with all three of the 'Making Of' progrms on it. Plus a fourth one, which I don't recall what it was about. So the DVD is basically a 'sample' disc of what is to supposedly on the way.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
10-22-2003, 11:47 AM
So what exactly is on this bonus disk? The 5th one?

darthvyn
10-22-2003, 12:21 PM
I posted a basic breakdown of it, a page ago. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

ah, sorry. i didn't realize it was packed-in with the box... i thought that was a "give-away" disc at point of purchase...

Beast
10-22-2003, 12:38 PM
It's not packed in the box, and it's exclusive to Best Buy and Best Buy owned stores. But it's shrinkwrapped to the package, underneath the rear label. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
10-22-2003, 02:47 PM
OK, I found JarJar's post about the 5th disk. I don't think I'll try and get a copy of that.

I don't like to know how movies are made.

I'm not sure how to say this, but there could be 2 kinds of movie fans:

1) ones who just like watching and believing in the story

and

2) ones who are fans of movie makers like Steven Spielberg and want to know how things were done.

I am kind of the first type. Sometimes I have to know - like in Gettysburg, how they fielded all those actors out there and had explosions all around them, and didn't hurt anyone, while the movie looks like people were just "dying for their roles." Same thing in Saving Private Ryan. That stuff looks too real. Was there an ad, "attention Homeless, those willing to have limbs amputated, report for million-dollar movie career for realistic WWII movie? Lifetime benefits if you live."

But most of the time, I want to believe that the Ark of the Covenant did open and burn Nazis and that those are real guys getting laser beams shot through them, wrath of God stuff.

I thought it was at least real actors with burn protectors on. When I learned they were 12" GI Joes and Han Solo dolls, I kind of think I look to see if I can tell when I'm watching the greatest climax to the movie - when they all find out if the Ark is actually real.

I should be enjoying the story, rather than trying to see if "I have THAT action figure."

Does that make any sense?

So I'm not sure I like behind the movies stuff, and I hope George Lucas is really taking his actors to other planets (er, uh really remote and wild locations) to finish filming Episode 3, too! It's more fun that way - to me.

bobafrett
10-22-2003, 03:28 PM
IU think I fall more into the second catagory. This is why I love the DVD's so much, especially those that deal with how the story came about, how they got this souhd, or that effect. I really found it neat that the far shots of the Pod race the spectators were colored Q-tips! I'm looking foward to checking out the fourth disc, and I'll have to see if anyone close by me can lend me the fifth disc, as I bought my set at Target.

SirSteve
10-22-2003, 03:45 PM
FYI - Eckerd drug stores has the DVD set in this weeks flyer for $34.99. As of yesterday, they did not have them in stock yet and my Best Buy would not price match them but Wal-Mart did without any questions. Just take the flyer with you.

dr_evazan22
10-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Tycho - I know exactly what you mean about looking for the effects. I watched LOTR: FOTR Making Of disc. Now when I see the movie I see some of the tricks they used. It doesn't really ruin it for me, but it takes me out of the moment sometimes.

On the other hand, I DO want to know how some of the movies and effects are made.

Go figure!

mrmiller
10-23-2003, 10:27 AM
I watched the Bonus 5th disk form Best Buy, and it isn't much. It's only 5 minuites, and you can tell it's taken form a bigger production. It did have some coll stuff- Taking 100's of TV anteanas down to get a good shot of the city, Indiana taking on the Cario Swordsman with the whip, and why was Speilberg filming and running around the set with his shirt off? It was worth getting and watching, but you don't seem to miss anything important. I haven't watched the Bonus Material disk yet, so I don't know what all is included there.

=MATT=

tagmac
11-03-2003, 07:49 PM
After the long wait, what did everyone think of these. I thought they were well done, but I was disappointed in the 4th disc - where were the deleted scenes? I've read about them on the Indy web site, but nothing on the DVD's.

Beast
11-03-2003, 08:22 PM
Speilburg doesn't really like Deleted Scenes. Neither did Lucas, atleast he put some on the E1 DVD. But I'm gonna guess it was more likely Speilburg that put his foot down on deleted scenees. He usually never has them on his DVD's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Anakin2121
11-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Well, there are supposedly some on the DVD of The Lost World, but I've not seen 'em. :p

And I've had the Indy set for several days now, and finally watched Raiders last night. I'm surprised at how well they touched up the image quality! The movie's, like, twenty-two years old, and it looks about as good as DVDs of brand-new movies! They also did a spectacular job editing out all the bloopers. Gone now is the snake's reflection in the Well of Souls (you all remember that, right?), as well as the hilarious scene where a fly walks into Belloq's mouth when Indy threatens to blow up the Ark.

I watched the Bonus 5th disc today, and just like the bonus Best Buy third disc that came with The Matrix Reloaded, it's pretty much worthless. All it has is a vintage featurette that's less than ten minutes long, and the only really good thing about it is that you can see a bit of Indy using his whip in the original fight scene with the Cairo swordsman (it was originally a huge, elaborate fight, but Harrison Ford had dysentery from drinking contaminated water, so they decided to basically nix the fight altogether. And if you look closely, you can see Harrison has a pained look on his face as he shoots the guy. That face isn't just from his acting talent. ;) And of course, ultimately, the final version ended up being for the best and established Indy's character -- he just goes, "Whatever!" and shoots him).

:)

stillakid
11-04-2003, 11:29 AM
OK, I found JarJar's post about the 5th disk. I don't think I'll try and get a copy of that.

I don't like to know how movies are made.

I'm not sure how to say this, but there could be 2 kinds of movie fans:

1) ones who just like watching and believing in the story

and

2) ones who are fans of movie makers like Steven Spielberg and want to know how things were done.

I am kind of the first type. Sometimes I have to know - like in Gettysburg, how they fielded all those actors out there and had explosions all around them, and didn't hurt anyone, while the movie looks like people were just "dying for their roles." Same thing in Saving Private Ryan. That stuff looks too real. Was there an ad, "attention Homeless, those willing to have limbs amputated, report for million-dollar movie career for realistic WWII movie? Lifetime benefits if you live."

But most of the time, I want to believe that the Ark of the Covenant did open and burn Nazis and that those are real guys getting laser beams shot through them, wrath of God stuff.

I thought it was at least real actors with burn protectors on. When I learned they were 12" GI Joes and Han Solo dolls, I kind of think I look to see if I can tell when I'm watching the greatest climax to the movie - when they all find out if the Ark is actually real.

I should be enjoying the story, rather than trying to see if "I have THAT action figure."

Does that make any sense?

So I'm not sure I like behind the movies stuff, and I hope George Lucas is really taking his actors to other planets (er, uh really remote and wild locations) to finish filming Episode 3, too! It's more fun that way - to me.

There is something to be said for your pov on the subject, for sure. But I look at it this way, especially since I'm knee-deep in the process myself. Because I'm oftentimes well aware of how certain things are done, whether they be grandiose effects or simple close-ups, I am better able to judge the story itself instead of being wowed and amazed at (and blinded by) the spectacle of it all. We've heard it for years, the complaints about Hollywood films hiding behind explosions, car chases, and T&A. Not that that stuff isn't exciting in and of itself, but without a great story to justify its existence, then it isn't worth the $8 bucks to see usually. But, for me, having that "inside" knowledge allows me to filter out the "bright shiny objects" more effectively to get to the root of the story and see if the emperor really has any clothes or not.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-04-2003, 07:04 PM
Gone now is the snake's reflection in the Well of Souls (you all remember that, right?), as well as the hilarious scene where a fly walks into Belloq's mouth when Indy threatens to blow up the Ark.

Check Raiders again. The fly is still there. Saw it this weekend and made a mental note to see if they left that in.

That guy must be the best actor in the world not to get distracted by that fly, has no feeling in his lips, or someone wanted to do a great practical joke against him in post-production.

As far as deleted scenes go, I don't care what Spielberg's personal philosophies are on commentaries, extras, or what have you. When you have a movie that ingrains itself into pop culture like Indy or Private Ryan, people are going to want more...more background info, thoughts on how and why things were put together they were, and interesting tidbits. When I watch Indy shoot that swordsman in the gut I don't think about Harry Ford being sick that day so the shot was changed, I just enjoy it for what it is. We're not all mindless dolts, Mr. Spielberg, just interested movie fans.

Anakin2121
11-04-2003, 07:16 PM
As far as deleted scenes go, I don't care what Spielberg's personal philosophies are on commentaries, extras, or what have you. When you have a movie that ingrains itself into pop culture like Indy or Private Ryan....

Actually, Private Ryan only had one complete scene that was filmed and then cut. It happened almost immediately after the beach landing scene: Miller, Horvath, and all the suriving members of the Ranger company cross a minefield and try to sieze German flak 88's.
Many of the Rangers are killed or wounded in the engagement.

The scene was cut for various reasons, not the least of which would have been that it was right after the beach landing scene -- and having two action scenes sandwiched together would have gotten dull, and the beach landing scene would have seemed less intense as a result. Plus, Miller recaps virtually the entire deleted scene to his superior officer during the scene where Miller is given his new assignment.

RussUAE
11-11-2003, 07:23 AM
I must admit I love all the films - even loved Temple of Doom more than I'd ever remembered.

I got around to watching the documentaries last night. I couldn't believe how much George Lucas seems to have aged since the last time I saw him - his hair has gone completely white. These prequels must really be causing him stress.

JediTricks
01-02-2004, 11:37 PM
I really found it neat that the far shots of the Pod race the spectators were colored Q-tipsThey also had Action Fleet minifigs in part of the stands, but eventually the whole thing was scrapped and they went totally CG instead, so neither the minifigs nor the painted Q-tips made it into the film.

So I got this set for xmas and watched Raiders the other day, and one thing both me and my mom independently noticed was that some little stuff was edited differently, such as the final ark sequence, and Indy's ride on the Nazi sub was different. Is this more Lucasfilm retouching, or simply a different cut of the original film from the VHS version? The DVD itself was great in terms of image and sound quality, can't wait to watch the others.

stillakid
01-03-2004, 12:45 AM
They also had Action Fleet minifigs in part of the stands, but eventually the whole thing was scrapped and they went totally CG instead, so neither the minifigs nor the painted Q-tips made it into the film.

So I got this set for xmas and watched Raiders the other day, and one thing both me and my mom independently noticed was that some little stuff was edited differently, such as the final ark sequence, and Indy's ride on the Nazi sub was different. Is this more Lucasfilm retouching, or simply a different cut of the original film from the VHS version? The DVD itself was great in terms of image and sound quality, can't wait to watch the others.

I just watched Raiders as well but didn't notice any differences offhand. Damn you, now I'm going to have to run them side by side (DVD/VHS) to see what's going on. Perhaps next week...

stillakid
01-05-2004, 06:58 PM
We took the kids to Disneyland this weekend and I finally got a look at the Indy action figures. A little disappointing. I brought Indiana home but couldn't bring myself to buy the rest. Marion looks like she's been stuffing Krispy Kremes. The German is definitely a poofta. and the others are just poorly done. With as popular as this series is, it's amazing that the action figure/toy line never was done with justice.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-02-2004, 11:55 AM
I thought we had a thread about the upcoming Indy flick, but i couldn't track it down. Anyway, i saw this at coming soon:

John Rhys-Davies Talks Indiana Jones 4
Source: The Daily Telegraph Wednesday, September 1, 2004

John Rhys-Davies, who played Sallah in two of the "Indiana Jones" movies and Gimli in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, talked to The Daily Telegraph about the anticipated Indiana Jones 4.

"I was talking to Steven Spielberg the other day ... we discussed a fourth one," said Rhys-Davies, "We're in with the chance of making something absolutely extraordinary."

The actor confirmed that "Indiana Jones" co-writer and producer George Lucas was the one who shelved the project earlier this year. "George Lucas had reservations about the script and he said, 'The only way I can express my reservations is making another pass at the script myself', so it's gone back at least a year."

But Rhys-Davies added that things are still looking up. "It is the intention of these three great filmmakers [Lucas, Spielberg and Ford] to make another one."

So, Lucas is writing the script himself? Yeah, um hmmmmmmmmmm....cheers!! :D

stillakid
09-02-2004, 04:14 PM
I thought we had a thread about the upcoming Indy flick, but i couldn't track it down. Anyway, i saw this at coming soon:

John Rhys-Davies Talks Indiana Jones 4
Source: The Daily Telegraph Wednesday, September 1, 2004

John Rhys-Davies, who played Sallah in two of the "Indiana Jones" movies and Gimli in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, talked to The Daily Telegraph about the anticipated Indiana Jones 4.

"I was talking to Steven Spielberg the other day ... we discussed a fourth one," said Rhys-Davies, "We're in with the chance of making something absolutely extraordinary."

The actor confirmed that "Indiana Jones" co-writer and producer George Lucas was the one who shelved the project earlier this year. "George Lucas had reservations about the script and he said, 'The only way I can express my reservations is making another pass at the script myself', so it's gone back at least a year."

But Rhys-Davies added that things are still looking up. "It is the intention of these three great filmmakers [Lucas, Spielberg and Ford] to make another one."

So, Lucas is writing the script himself? Yeah, um hmmmmmmmmmm....cheers!! :D

Yeah, Lucas passed on a script written by Frank Darabont, if you can believe that. Methinks that Lucas still holds a grudge against Frank for his refusal to cut a deal on the Episode I script. So now we get master author Lucas doing his version. This ought to be hoot. :sur:

Pendo
09-02-2004, 04:39 PM
You know Indy will be followed around by a stupid OTT CGI character :rolleyes:, and that there will be mushy love scenes with the Indy lady :rolleyes:, and there will be too much OTT action and not enough story and character development :rolleyes:.

Sounds fun :(

PENDO!

stillakid
09-02-2004, 05:12 PM
You know Indy will be followed around by a stupid OTT CGI character :rolleyes:, and that there will be mushy love scenes with the Indy lady :rolleyes:, and there will be too much OTT action and not enough story and character development :rolleyes:.

Sounds fun :(

PENDO!

Well, let's see. Based on Lucas's brilliant writing for The Phantom Menace, Indy's sidekick will be a little CG midget named Bling Bling (for the kids) who will ride around on his skateboard uttering lines like, "Yo da man, Indy" and " Whazzup?" There will be a lot of meaningless wandering around until all the characters are sufficiently bored enough to move onto a new scene in a new country. While there, Indy and the new love interest (played by Playmate Brande Roderick) will have two quick intimate scenes where he tries riding the back of a wild hog and she laughs about it. Then they move into the dining room where he cuts her Avacado in half with his bullwhip. This moves them next to the fireplace where they exchange Shakespearean dialogue (to inject sophistication into the story) and agree to not love one another. Cut to Indy wriggling around in his bed whilst masturbating or something then running off the next day to save his mother (oops, she's dead...father then...oops did that already...um, off to save his sidekick, Bling Bling). Anyway, the film's climax comes with a three pronged battle in which Bling Bling gathers together his homies to fight the Man, while Brande gathers her Playmates for a pillow fight and carwash at the Skywalker Ranch (or is that the party after the premiere?) and Indy goes to face his evil nemesis who turns out to be a whiny bipolar golly gee whiz kid named Tookyermoneyagain Ha Ha.

This just might be the best Indiana Jones movie ever! :ermm:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-10-2006, 08:09 PM
revive!! Rise and live again, Thread!!

Found this today on my LJ gossip community

NATALIE PORTMAN is being lined up to play INDIANA JONES' daughter in the fourth and final movie adventure to star HARRISON FORD as the daredevil archaeologist. THE PERFECT STORM star KAREN ALLEN, who is expected to reprise her MARION RAVENWOOD role in the upcoming Indiana Jones movie, let the news slip about STAR WARS heroine Portman at a question-and-answer session in New York on Friday (07JUL06). Allen spoke to Indiana Jones fans after a screening of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, and, although she was coy about her own part in the fourth film, she revealed Portman's name is being mentioned. She told fans, "I just heard Natalie Portman was cast as Indy's daughter." One fan in attendance says, "She (Allen) immediately changed the subject as if she knew she shouldn't have said anything."

take with a grain of salt. They need to make this movie ASAP before Connery and/or Ford are confined to wheelchairs with broken hips. :crazed:

Tycho
07-10-2006, 09:57 PM
But isn't Natalie Portman Harrison Ford's mother-in-law? Oh, wait: that's Leia's mom and Han Solo's mother-in-law. OK, I got it.

That's cool news Guyute. I could see Portman playing a Laura Croft kind of gal as I'd imagine Indy's daughter would be.

I can see this continuing the franchise as the adventures of Virginia Jones or something like that.

JediTricks
07-11-2006, 03:37 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Natalie Portman's acting style is all wrong for an Indy movie, she's small and introverted and gets into this intimate style of character play, totally wrong for a bigger-than-life type of character. I don't like her in any action role so far for those very reasons.

Droid
07-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I think this movie may suck so hard.

Last Crusade is my favorite non-Star Wars movie.

I think Spielberg and Lucas are gearing up to make a movie that they could only describe as a "hoot". I think it will be a comedy about Indiana, being old and the choices he's made.

I've heard Allen and Capshaw will be in it. (Big mistake, a new girl every movie, like Bond, don't retread old ground.)

I've heard he wants Connery. (Big mistake. It's been done.)

I've heard the Portman thing. Disaster. Don't do a David Marcus thing. We saw Kirk discover the son he never knew. Don't do it with Indy. Let me guess, she'll not like Indy, then she'll get thrown into the action with him, we'll see she's a chip off the old block, and by the end of the movie they'll love each other. THAT'S NEVER BEEN DONE!

Tagline for the film - "The only woman he could never handle was his daughter." or "Adventure has a new name - Padme."

I just think that rather than trying to have a great new adventure they'll combine a little bit of each movie, kind of a retrospective of past Indy adventures. The Indy movies always had comedy, but I think this one will be written as a comedy. And fall flat, very, very flat.

Just think Marion will slap him! He'll wince for the audience. Willie will slap him! He'll wince for the audience. His daughter will slap him! He'll wince for the audience. His dad will slap him! (for blasphemy!) He'll wince for the audience. At one point he can crack that he preferred when the only thing he had to worry about was Nazis.

Lucas and Spielberg will just have a ball filming their HOOT. They'll say, "This one's for the fans."

LEAVE INDY ALONE. DON'T MAKE THIS MOVIE. IF THEY DO, I'LL PASS.

Droid
07-11-2006, 03:55 PM
I can see this continuing the franchise as the adventures of Virginia Jones or something like that.

Virginia Jones. That's cute, Tycho. "We named the cat Virginia!"

Rocketboy
07-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I think this movie may suck so hard.

Last Crusade is my favorite non-Star Wars movie.

I think Spielberg and Lucas are gearing up to make a movie that they could only describe as a "hoot". I think it will be a comedy about Indiana, being old and the choices he's made.

I've heard Allen and Capshaw will be in it. (Big mistake, a new girl every movie, like Bond, don't retread old ground.)

I've heard he wants Connery. (Big mistake. It's been done.)

I've heard the Portman thing. Disaster. Don't do a David Marcus thing. We saw Kirk discover the son he never knew. Don't do it with Indy. Let me guess, she'll not like Indy, then she'll get thrown into the action with him, we'll see she's a chip off the old block, and by the end of the movie they'll love each other. THAT'S NEVER BEEN DONE!

Tagline for the film - "The only woman he could never handle was his daughter." or "Adventure has a new name - Padme."

I just think that rather than trying to have a great new adventure they'll combine a little bit of each movie, kind of a retrospective of past Indy adventures. The Indy movies always had comedy, but I think this one will be written as a comedy. And fall flat, very, very flat.

Just think Marion will slap him! He'll wince for the audience. Willie will slap him! He'll wince for the audience. His daughter will slap him! He'll wince for the audience. His dad will slap him! (for blashpemy!) He'll wince for the audience. At one point he can crack that he preferred when the only thing he had to worry about was Nazis.

Lucas and Spielberg will just have a ball filming their HOOT. They'll say, "This one's for the fans."

LEAVE INDY ALONE. DON'T MAKE THIS MOVIE. IF THEY DO, I'LL PASS.Wow, harsh words for a movie that doesn't even have a finished script.
I really don't think this will be a retread of the last three.
And you really want them to skip Sean Connery? WTF? The Jr/Sr dynamic is what made Last Crusade the best one.

Droid
07-11-2006, 06:18 PM
And you really want them to skip Sean Connery? WTF? The Jr/Sr dynamic is what made Last Crusade the best one.

Indiana Jones is about Indiana Jones, not the Jones family. Star Wars became the story of the Skywalker family. We don't have to do the same thing with Jones.

Tycho
07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
But I want to see the dog they named Indiana!

JimJamBonds
07-12-2006, 07:58 AM

You really want them to dig up the bones of a long dead dog?

Droid
07-12-2006, 08:50 AM

Pretty sure he was shown in the River Phoenix flashback in Crusade.

JimJamBonds
07-12-2006, 01:07 PM
I forget where but on some show I saw they said there is a rumor that NatPo will be playing Indy's daughter. After SW I don't know if she'd do another of Georgie's movies, although this would allow her to work with El Spielbergo and Harrison so maybe she might.

darthvyn
07-12-2006, 01:52 PM
jjb2, did you hear it here? (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=482409&postcount=66)

JediTricks
07-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Pretty sure he was shown in the River Phoenix flashback in Crusade.This is correct, an Alaskan Malamute dog is in that scene when young Indy comes back home to get his father's help. Of course, Henry Jones Sr. doesnt' give 2 farts about the Cross of Coronado though.

General_Grievous
07-13-2006, 03:27 PM
The Jr/Sr dynamic is what made Last Crusade the best one.
Sure, "Last Crusade" is the best if we remove "Raiders" from the equation. Although it didn't have Connery, "Raiders" had a better plot, better leading lady, and better villains. But on the aspect of Indy's daughter in Indy 4, I wouldn't cast a big-name like Natalie. I would cast Ellen Page (Kitty Pryde in X3). Not too famous, plus she looks like she could be Indy and Marion's daughter.

Tycho
07-13-2006, 03:40 PM
OK: Temple of Doom was an excellent movie. Not as good as Raiders or Last Crusade, granted. But it was better than a lot of movies out there - I'd say Superman Returns included.

General_Grievous
07-13-2006, 03:51 PM
OK: Temple of Doom was an excellent movie. But it was better than a lot of movies out there - I'd say Superman Returns included.
Because at least Temple of Doom had a climax. And fight scenes. Plus Short Round kicked all kinds of @$$. But you have to admit Kate Capshaw was annoying as all hell. I believe Stewie said it best as Shorty on "Family Guy": "Lady only here cause she humping director". :p

Tycho
07-13-2006, 03:56 PM
ROTFLMAO! That was great, General.

General_Grievous
07-13-2006, 04:16 PM
ROTFLMAO! That was great, General.
Hey, don't thank me. Thank Family Guy's creative writing team. ;) But I don't like the fact that a lot of people dismiss "Temple" for being too dark of a movie. I mean, come on, it's no "Schindler's List". And besides, it probably has the happiest "Hollywood" ending of the trilogy.

JediTricks
07-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Maybe they mean dark in terms of lighting, most of the movie takes place underground in the title location. Personally, I think it's by far the weakest of the 3 (and a friggin' prequel, it takes place in '35 where Raiders is in '38 and Last Crusade '39), they go nowhere except in the first few minutes of the movie in Shanghai, there's a big dull period in the middle where nothing much happens, the female lead is annoying as hell, the kid is really silly stuff, and there's no actual archeology going on.

darthvyn
07-13-2006, 06:48 PM
yeah, but the creepy old guy gets to say "bring back to us..." over and over again... that guy rocks!

and my only good harrison ford impression comes from that movie. i can say "shortround!" EXACTLY like indy!

General_Grievous
07-13-2006, 08:44 PM
my only good harrison ford impression comes from that movie. i can say "shortround!" EXACTLY like indy!
There's one Indy line from "Temple" that I can do pretty well. That semi-drunk "Are you trying to develop a sense of humor or am I going deaf?" But my favorite Indy line isn't really a line but that scream he lets out in "Raiders" after Marion swings the mirror into his face. No matter how many times I watch that, I always crack up. :)

Tycho
08-14-2006, 06:16 PM
I just watched all of these again - I have them on VHS and I have to say that while I don't watch DVD extras, I want the DVDs now to preserve (or see for the first time) the digital quality. I think these are classics you have to own on DVD!

Furthermore, I don't think a lot of modern movies have this much action in them! I mean Indiana Jones movies are REAL action flicks. Several Star Wars movies move slower - but Jones can set a pace and have plot at the same time. War movies can't say the same most often, and they are not adventures. I wouldn't define military combat as adventure. I'd say Jones chasing after fortune and glory has it all.

If you look at Star Wars, AOTC or ANH had the most "adventure" to it: Obi-Wan was tracking down Jango Fett to safeguard Padme - but you just didn't have the concern that you did for Indiana Jones unlocking some mysteries about all mankind's life with such things as the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail - even returning Sheeva's sacred stone and all the village's children. ANH had a little more at stake to it: Luke and Ben were trying to deliver the stolen plans to the Death Star to Bail Organa to prevent the Emperor (through Tarkin) from killing countless beings to impose his New Order. You could say that ROTJ follows that course too, but the characters assume a more military unit role in the raid on Endor.

I am finding that I prefer adventure to military movies. You guys?

dr_evazan22
08-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Sounds like you have some deep-seated secret desire to kill somebody. And speaking of killing, I saw the trilogy DVD in Costco Sun for $31; I think it came out at $50.

El Chuxter
08-14-2006, 11:23 PM
The digital presentation is spectacular, even though the reflection between the cobra and Harrison was digitally removed for the DVD version.

Rocketboy
08-14-2006, 11:28 PM
The digital presentation is spectacular, even though the reflection between the cobra and Harrison was digitally removed for the DVD version.Totally ridiculous. They detroyed the original version that I fell in love with!

Tycho
08-15-2006, 02:22 AM
Sounds like you have some deep-seated secret desire to kill somebody. And speaking of killing, I saw the trilogy DVD in Costco Sun for $31; I think it came out at $50.

Oh, I have the desire, just no one in particular that I have a reason to kill. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

I have a hero-complex that goes along with my bloodlust - thus I must be righteous if I am forced to take a life, else I couldn't do it. I'm just psychologically able to cope with it all right down to a nuclear winter and surving after the employment of weapons of mass destruction.

JediTricks
08-15-2006, 02:09 PM
The Indy series is great, and the DVD presentation was awesome - I watched them a few weeks ago and they're stunning, I didn't mind them erasing the reflection, but I sorta expected more tampering than that - they left the dang bouncing stone block shadow in. :D All in all, they're a great widescreen presentation and have lots of details that VHS and pan&scan miss. I must confess I watched Raiders and Last Crusade in 1 day and was going to ignore Temple of Doom altogether, but caved and watched it the next day - it's still a totally lesser movie to me.

jonthejedi
08-15-2006, 02:33 PM
I've heard Indy IV is set in the 1950's(Korean War era)...ala Harrison's prolog & epilog appearance in Young Indy's Mystery of the Blues episode.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-21-2006, 03:16 PM
comingsoon.net posted this today:

Lucas, Spielberg & Ford on Indiana Jones 4
Source: Empire Online August 21, 2006

Empire Online talked to George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford about the anticipated Indiana Jones 4, which is targeted for a 2008 release. Here are several of their comments on the fourth installment:

"We're basically going to do 'The Phantom Menace,'" says Lucas (stay with him here, he's making a point). "People's expectations are way higher than you can deliver. You could just get killed for the whole thingÖWe would do it for fun and just take the hit with the critics and the fans...But nobody wants to get into it unless they are really happy with it."

As for timing, Lucas says that filming is scheduled for mid-2007, for a 2008 release but getting the gang back together is a tricky proposition. "Before I was just working with Steven and Harrison. Now everybody's a superstar, so it's a little bit more difficult than it was then. But there's a good chance it will happen," assures Ford. "There are things left for this character to do."

well, i guess that's good: Lucas isn't jumping on any random script just to make money. Looks like ole' Georgie Boy learned something with the backlash with TPM! Granted, that second paragraph doesn't make sense: it refers to Spieldberg and Harrison and then has Ford speaking it? I'm sure they meant Lucas. still, speculate away! :lipsrsealed:

darthvyn
08-22-2006, 11:49 AM
unless the movie is indy's last stand (which i thought "the last crusade" would've been...) i don't see how it can work... harrison's just too old looking now. they could've made this a james bond style series (and tried with YIJC) and i would like to see more of that - indy at different points in his life - just not the point in his life where he has to wear adult diapers.

JediTricks
08-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Granted, that second paragraph doesn't make sense: it refers to Spieldberg and Harrison and then has Ford speaking it? I'm sure they meant Lucas. still, speculate away! :lipsrsealed:I don't think so, I think they meant Ford, keep in mind they talked to Ford, Spielberg, and Lucas in that article, so in that paragraph they take a piece of info from Lucas and then support it with a quote from Ford.

Droid
10-05-2006, 02:35 PM
From the article on Lucas circulating today:

Nor is Lucasfilm's exit from features instant or absolute. "Indiana Jones 4" is still in development. "Steve (Spielberg) and I are still working away, trying to come up with something we're happy with. Hopefully, in a short time, we will come to an agreement. Or something," Lucas said, without a great deal of enthusiasm.

So how do other people take that? Is Lucas not really excited about it and Ford and Spielberg want to do it? Is Lucas tired of all the bickering over what the movie would be at this point? Is Lucas a hold out for a great script OR are Ford and Spielberg fighting Lucas on what Lucas thinks the script should be? Frankly I hope the three decide to just let the whole thing alone as I predict a fiasco.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-05-2006, 04:41 PM
From the article on Lucas circulating today:

Nor is Lucasfilm's exit from features instant or absolute. "Indiana Jones 4" is still in development. "Steve (Spielberg) and I are still working away, trying to come up with something we're happy with. Hopefully, in a short time, we will come to an agreement. Or something," Lucas said, without a great deal of enthusiasm.

So how do other people take that? Is Lucas not really excited about it and Ford and Spielberg want to do it? Is Lucas tired of all the bickering over what the movie would be at this point? Is Lucas a hold out for a great script OR are Ford and Spielberg fighting Lucas on what Lucas thinks the script should be? Frankly I hope the three decide to just let the whole thing alone as I predict a fiasco.

Exactly; well said, Droid. If Lucas isn't enthusiastic about it and they have to keep rewriting things, etc etc, let it go. i'd rather have my last image of Indy riding off with Brody, his father and that one dude into the sunset after the Last Crusade then have a crappy flick be my last image of indy. :lipsrsealed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Looks like Frank Darabont's fantastic script was rejected by none other than: George Lucas. Yanked this from IMDB:

The latest effort to bring back Indiana Jones appears doomed, according to writer-director Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption). Darabont told a movie website that focuses on films in development that although Steven Spielberg had praised his script for Indiana Jones 4 as "the best draft of anything since Raiders of the Lost Ark, " his excitement was not shared by fellow producer George Lucas. In the interview with Devin Faraci of CHUD.com, Darabont said Spielberg's praise "gave me a real sense of accomplishment, especially when you love the material you're working on as much as I love the Indiana Jones films. And then you have George Lucas read it and say, 'Yeah, I don't think so, I don't like it.' And then he resets it to zero." Asked whether he believes Indy 4 will ever be filmed, Darabont replied, "I don't think so. ... I just think it's fantastically bizarre that for a project that people have been trying to crack for ten years and have a writer come in and finally crack it and then ... [for Lucas to] say, 'No, I don't think so...' It's just bizarre to me. I can't get into George's head."

#1 complaint: Not enough Gungans? :thumbsup:

Probably for the best though.

Tycho
11-09-2006, 01:03 AM
I don't mind if they never make another Indiana Jones movie. I love the 3 they did for what they are and will continue to enjoy them.

If another one is to be made however, I would want it to be really good and worthy of the franchise.

El Chuxter
11-09-2006, 02:31 PM
I'd heard that before, and I also read somewhere that a script by M Knight Shamalamadingdong (not trying to be disparaging, but I have no clue how to spell it) was praised by everyone but Lucas as well.

darthvyn
11-16-2006, 01:11 PM
i hate that guy... what would the twist ending be for indy? and how slow can harrison ford talk?

i call him m knight shamalamadingdong all the time, too... i also call him something else: one trick pony.

El Chuxter
11-16-2006, 01:13 PM
One word: Unbreakable.

So eat it, Richards.

Rocketboy
11-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Signs was awesome too.

darthvyn
11-17-2006, 08:04 AM
One word: Unbreakable.

So eat it, Richards.

that was the first time i saw his one trick, so yeah... it's awesome. didn't hurt that it was a comic book movie based on no comic book. however, had it BEEN based on a comic book, i wouldn't read the comic, seeing as how i wouldn't be able to stand the lack of ANY plot advancement or action... but "sixth sense" was laughable, and "the village" was pretty lame. never saw signs, and "lady in the water" looked pretty retarded. what was the twist ending there? was it an angel, or was paul giamatti really a mer-man?

oh, wait... this is the indy jones thread... that really was off-topic, wasn't it?

i still maintain that harrison is just too old to reprise this role. they should do a prequel, young indiana jones style. too bad river phoenix is too dead to reprise HIS role...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-30-2006, 12:43 AM
It's official: filming starts next year. Saw this in an AP article:

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - George Lucas said Friday that filming of the long-awaited "Indiana Jones" movie will begin next year.

Harrison Ford, who appeared in the three earlier flicks, the last one coming in 1989, is set to star again.

Lucas said he and Steven Spielberg recently finalized the script for the film.

"It's going to be fantastic. It's going to be the best one yet," the 62-year-old filmmaker said during a break from preparing for his duties as grand marshal of Monday's Rose Parade.

Exact film locations have not been decided yet, but Lucas said part of the movie will be shot in Los Angeles.

The fourth chapter of the "Indiana Jones" saga, which will hit theaters in May 2008, has been in development for over a decade with several screenwriters taking a crack at the script, but it only recently gained momentum.

Lucas kept mum about the plot, but said that the latest action flick will be a "character piece" that will include "very interesting mysteries."

"I think it's going to be really cool," Lucas said.

At the inaugural Rome Film Festival in October, the 64-year-old Ford said he was excited to team up with Lucas and Spielberg again for the fourth "Indiana Jones" installment. Ford said he was "fit to continue" to play the title role despite his age.

Ford played Indiana Jones in 1981's "Raiders of the Lost Ark," 1984's "Temple of Doom" and 1989's "The Last Crusade."

Lucas praised Ford for breathing life into his character.

"Mostly it's the charm of Harrison that makes it work," he said.

If Lucas AND Steven finally agreed on something, i'm excited. Nervous, but excited. :thumbsup:

jonthejedi
12-30-2006, 04:25 AM
It'll be going up against the next Narnia in May 2008...THAT should be interesting!

Tycho
12-30-2006, 04:34 AM
It'll be going up against the next Narnia in May 2008...THAT should be interesting!

Nah, the movies go together. In the last Indy film, there was plenty of Christian imagery and allusion, plus Indy had to prove his faith by leaping from the lion's head, remember?

This time the lion will just eat his tired, old arse and then spit him out and he'll become Indiana Bones. :D

JediTricks
12-30-2006, 11:53 PM
I suspect this'll be another false-start news story.

jonthejedi
12-31-2006, 05:03 AM
Not this time...that May 2008 date is confirmed by Paramount Pictures. It's been on several news services, including AOL.

JediTricks
01-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Well, even more news is coming out on this, I'm still a little skeptical due to several false starts already but it looks pretty solid... Here is today's news from IMDB:

Koepp Keeps Indiana Jones Alive
Screenwriter David Koepp (Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds) has succeeded in pulling off what several other top screenwriters had failed at: provide an Indiana Jones sequel that would satisfy the three principals -- George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Harrison Ford. The three confirmed on Monday that they plan to begin filming Koepp's script -- a title was not disclosed -- for the fourth Indiana Jones film in June, with a May 2008 target for worldwide release. The last Indiana Jones move, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, was released by Paramount in 1989. Spielberg told reporters, "We feel that the script was well worth the wait. We hope it delivers everything you'd expect from our history with Indiana Jones. ... George, Harrison and I are all very excited."

darthvyn
01-03-2007, 12:12 PM
well, koepp is a great screenwriter, but i still contend that it's going to be a train-wreck. i bet there's a "i'm getting too old for this *%&^" line in there somewhere. or if it isn't, that will be the biggest MST3K-esque joke.

"Gerorge, Harrison and I are all very excited." - who else is excited? paul and ringo?

jonthejedi
01-03-2007, 03:14 PM
This movie will no doubt be set in the 1950's...ala his cameo in Young Indy Chronicles("Mystery of the Blues"). I hope he keeps the beard!

Tycho
01-03-2007, 03:40 PM
The 1950's? Indiana Jones vs. the North Koreans?

The film will tenatively be called: Indiana Jones and the Haircut of Doom.

JediTricks
01-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Indiana Jones and the Lack of Nazis

Tycho
01-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Maybe we find out that Indiana used his archaeological skills to uncover the truth about the Holocaust and actually presides over the Nuremburg Trials.

Indy's real name is Henry Jones, Jr. Perhaps he masqueraded as Henry Weisenthal? They both have the same first name: Henry. That might've been a clue right there! I detect a conspiracy.

The Spielberg directed movie will be called "Henry's List."

Droid
01-07-2007, 11:52 AM
I agree with Darthvyn, every time I read these articles I think, "Really, George Harrison is involved?"

I really think this movie will be terrible and wish they weren't making it.

Lucas made Howard the Duck, Ford made The Devil's Own and Random Hearts, and Spielberg presided over Jurassic Park II. They can all be a part of turkeys.

I always thought I would include Nazis. I'd have Indy in South America chasing down some artifact and run into Nazis trying to get the relic to restore the Reich to power.

JimJamBonds
01-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Maybe we find out that Indiana used his archaeological skills to uncover the truth about the Holocaust and actually presides over the Nuremburg Trials.

Yeah I don't really see that one happening since Indy isn't a lawyer and there was plenty of evidence.

Kidhuman
01-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Well looking up on IMDB today , I saw a credit for this movie under Ms. Portmans name.

Tycho
01-10-2007, 07:36 AM
I guess I wasn't far off with my joke about "Virginia Jones," Indy's daughter with Marion Ravenwood (Raiders of the Lost Ark) - and Elsa died (Last Crusade) and Willie Scott (Temple of Doom) annoyed him.

Droid
01-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Why does everything have to become a multi-generational saga? We saw Indy's father, it was great fun, but it isn't the story of the Jones family. It is just the adventures of Indiana Jones.

And frankly I would only see Natalie Portman as Natalie Portman. I'm not sure I could accept her as the character in the movie. I would just see her as a big star George Lucas shoehorned into a franchise I love.

Rocketboy
01-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Well looking up on IMDB today , I saw a credit for this movie under Ms. Portmans name.And it's been there for a few years now.

El Chuxter
01-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Name a truly bad movie that Natalie Portman's been in.

And name a movie, other than a Star Wars prequel, in which she did a subpar acting job.

I'm waiting.

Kidhuman
01-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Where the Heart Is

Tycho
01-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Why does everything have to become a multi-generational saga?

Well, Sallah is going to have a grown up daughter named Farah.

Marcus Brody is going to have been the real father to the illegitimate Veronica Mars.

Short Round's daughter will be played by Lucy Lu.

It will be discovered that Willie Scott is actually Justin Timberlake's mother.

And Natalie, as Virginia Jones, will give birth to her own child in an ark in a snake pit inside an Egyptian tomb.

Rocketboy
01-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Name a truly bad movie that Natalie Portman's been in.

And name a movie, other than a Star Wars prequel, in which she did a subpar acting job.

I'm waiting.She has been in a few bad movies, like Anywhere But Here and the already mentioned Where the Heart Is - both were like Lifetime movies. Cold Mountain was pretty dull and apparently Free Zone opens with a shot of Natalie crying for 10 full minutes.

But the thing is, even though the movies are bad, her performances are always good-to-great (I thought she deserved an Oscar nod for Cold Mountain).

JediTricks
01-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Natalie was abysmal in the awful "Mars Attacks!"

El Chuxter
01-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Correction: Natalie was not abyssmal in the kick-arse Mars Attacks!

Rocketboy
01-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Correction on the Correction: Natalie was not abyssmal in the decent Mars Attacks!

Tycho
01-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Destroy all the humans! Destroy all the humans!

El Chuxter
04-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Yahoo is reporting that it's confirmed: Shia Lebouf is in Indy IV (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070413/ap_en_mo/people_shia_labeouf;_ylt=AovTBG5jXq0YLoQhU0H3RzNxF b8C).

Who the hell is this guy?

Yeah, I know he's in the craptastic-looking Disturbia, and soon to be in the craptastic-looking "Transformers" abomination and the far better looking Surf's Up.

But, dude, is he sleeping with the same Hollywood producer that Jessica Alba is sleeping with? I'm not saying he's as talentless as she is (that would be tough), but he did just come completely out of nowhere to appear in practically every movie for the next two years.

Speaking of "next two years," the release date for Indy IV is apparently May 8, 2008. Production begins in June. In other words, well less than a year to complete the flick. How long did the prior Indy movies take?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-14-2007, 01:48 PM
A few years ago, Shia was on Even Stevens on the Disney Channel, which was pretty funny (I was 11 or so at the time, so not sure how good it would really be now). He was also in Holes, which was, IIRC, also pretty good.

JediTricks
04-14-2007, 03:52 PM
First Nat, now Shia, what the hell? Is this going to be Indy with little children in tow? These actors are not only the wrong kind of acting for this (very internal and small and emotional) but they're unbelievable in almost everything due to their youthful appearance and behaviors in everything. This movie is going to be even worse than feared.

Tycho
04-14-2007, 04:20 PM
OK, so unbeknownst to Indy, he had TWINS with Marian Ravenwood.

Natalie and Shai play Jaina and Jacen Jones. Right? lol

Oh, and the movie will involve them looking for the lost civilization of the Sasquatch. "Big Foot" will appear as a large, walking carpet, played by Peter Mayhew.

Rocketboy
04-14-2007, 04:40 PM
First Nat, now Shia, what the hell? Is this going to be Indy with little children in tow? These actors are not only the wrong kind of acting for this (very internal and small and emotional) but they're unbelievable in almost everything due to their youthful appearance and behaviors in everything. This movie is going to be even worse than feared.Natalie Portman isn't in Indy 4. Just a rumor.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Indiana Jones hanging out with a young kid? Somehow, I can't imagine seeing that. ;)

General_Grievous
04-15-2007, 12:34 AM
While I don't have any complaints about Shia (I used to watch Even Stevens from time to time and I liked Holes), I've got a bad feeling about him playing the sidekick. Remember Constantine? Well, bad feelings aside, I'll give Shia a chance. He might even be good.

Ray Winstone and Cate Blanchett have also been cast in the movie. Even though you may not recognize Winstone's name, you'd definitely recognize his face from "The Departed". He played Mr. French. In Indy IV, I'm guessing he either plays the villain or takes over Marcus Brody's job.

Cate Blanchett will likely play the next love interest. All I have to say about that is "Damn, how much @$$ can Indy get?"

And I'm hoping that Sallah, Marion and Henry Jones return for this one. We need Connery to make this to redeem him from crap like "The Avengers" and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".

stillakid
04-15-2007, 01:54 AM
I wasn't terribly thrilled to hear that Shia was attached. Not that he is a bad actor, but he is just w-r-o-n-g for this franchise. Very disappointing.

Interestingly enough, the first films in each series were solid entertainment with darker followups and finished off by 'over the top' cartoony films. My gut feeling is that this will be a disappointment ala The Phantom Menace. Too bad. They should just leave it at three and live off the residuals. Instead, they're going to push the envelope and likely embarrass themselves. Oh, George, will you never learn?

Tycho
04-15-2007, 12:05 PM
In Indiana 4, the adventurous archaeologist will go seeking the lost civilization of the Sasquatch (who's species lead character will be played by Peter Mayhew in a recycled costume from ROTS). The adventure will take place in South America and along the way Indy will learn that Shai LeBouf's character has been raised with Marian and the Midi-Columbians. During the course of his quest, Indy will befriend a rare, rainforest tree-frog that ILM will render with CGI, who can talk, but only talk in Spanish.

El Chuxter
04-15-2007, 01:15 PM
If Sasquatch is involved, it had better be Harry.

Droid
04-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I predict that he'll play Indy's son.

I say again, if this movie is about Indiana Jones' relationship to his child I will not see it. Not everything has to be an intergenerational saga.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is my favorite non-Star Wars film. I am just sick they can't leave well enough alone.

joshephe
04-16-2007, 11:57 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070416/film_nm/boxoffice_story_dc;_ylt=AiBS6U6rf_lEhuOzmwlzLiCRG7 8C

That article confirms that LaBeouf plays Indy's son in the upcoming Indy 4 movie.

JediTricks
04-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Darabont Angry at "Wasted Year" Over 'Indiana Jones 4' Script

The Shawshank Redemption filmmaker Frank Darabont has hit out at movie mogul George Lucas for preventing Steven Spielberg from shooting his script for the upcoming Indiana Jones sequel, claiming his efforts were "a waste of a year." Darabont wrote a screenplay for the highly-anticipated movie, which is still known by its working title of Indiana Jones 4, and insists director Spielberg was happy with it. However, producer Lucas didn't think it was good enough. Darabont tells MTV.com, "It showed me how badly things can go. I spent a year of very determined effort on something I was very excited about, working very closely with Steven Spielberg and coming up with a result that I and he felt was terrific. He wanted to direct it as his next movie, and then suddenly the whole thing goes down in flames because George Lucas doesn't like the script. I told him (Lucas) he was crazy. I said, 'You have a fantastic script. I think you're insane, George.' You can say things like that to George, and he doesn't even blink. He's one of the most stubborn men I know." He adds, "I have no idea if there's a shred of (my script) left. It was a tremendous disappointment and a waste of a year." And Darabont has no plans to reveal what his Indiana Jones script contains: "At this point, I don't give much of a damn what George thinks, but I wouldn't want to harm my friendship with Steven."

Source: http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2007-04-20#celeb5

Um... OUCH! Dang, Darbont's really mad at Lucas on this. I can understand why, but still - wow.

Natalie Portman isn't in Indy 4. Just a rumor.Yeah, I know, so are Karen Allen and Sean Connery, but that this Nat rumor has room to exist at all is a point to the wrong direction.

While I don't have any complaints about Shia (I used to watch Even Stevens from time to time and I liked Holes), I've got a bad feeling about him playing the sidekick.They already said actor Ray Winstone was going to be Indy's sidekick in the film, so I can't imagine Shia would be another.

I wasn't terribly thrilled to hear that Shia was attached. Not that he is a bad actor, but he is just w-r-o-n-g for this franchise. Very disappointing.Totally agree there, it's like a pattern with Lucas lately, I feel Nat and Hayden and Jake Lloyd and a lot of prequel actors were the wrong kinds of actors for the SW franchise as well.

Interestingly enough, the first films in each series were solid entertainment with darker followups and finished off by 'over the top' cartoony films. My gut feeling is that this will be a disappointment ala The Phantom Menace. Too bad. They should just leave it at three and live off the residuals. Instead, they're going to push the envelope and likely embarrass themselves. Oh, George, will you never learn?The man prides himself on "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles", what can you expect?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070416/film_nm/boxoffice_story_dc;_ylt=AiBS6U6rf_lEhuOzmwlzLiCRG7 8C

That article confirms that LaBeouf plays Indy's son in the upcoming Indy 4 movie.Yeah, but they have no source for that, it could just be the Reuters reporter's assumption.

General_Grievous
04-20-2007, 07:48 PM
They already said actor Ray Winstone was going to be Indy's sidekick in the film, so I can't imagine Shia would be another.

So I assume Ray Winstone is filling in for Denholm Elliott (Marcus Brody). Since Shia is playing Indy's son, he's probably going to end up a sidekick as well.

I feel kind of bad for Frank Darabont about the script thing. If I had wasted a year like that, I'd be fuming.

Rocketboy
04-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Darabont got paid, so it wasn't like he really totally wasted his time.

El Chuxter
04-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Darabont wrote a script that wasn't used.

Instead, we get Shia LeBouf.

It sounds to me like we're the ones who should complain.

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 06:02 PM
So I assume Ray Winstone is filling in for Denholm Elliott (Marcus Brody). Since Shia is playing Indy's son, he's probably going to end up a sidekick as well. I dunno if he's filling in for (or as) Marcus, or if it's a new character entirely. I also don't know if Shia's playing the son, 1 article citing no source does not make it true.

I feel kind of bad for Frank Darabont about the script thing. If I had wasted a year like that, I'd be fuming.Yeah, me too, especially knowing how close it got to being made.

Darabont got paid, so it wasn't like he really totally wasted his time.It's not all about cash, it's about putting in a lot of effort on a big project and seeing it pay off.

Darabont wrote a script that wasn't used.

Instead, we get Shia LeBouf.

It sounds to me like we're the ones who should complain.Haw! Awesome point.

Droid
04-21-2007, 07:22 PM
I hate the idea of having Indy have a child, but I actually think a daughter would have been more interesting than a son.

Either way, if Indy has a kid I ain't seein' it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-21-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm just curious how there is all this beyatching and moaning about a movie that we literally know very little about. We don't know much about who is playing what (aside from Ford and maybe Blanchett), the plot, if these "sidekicks" are that or just his friends like Sallah and Mr. Brody; but c'mon guys, this is kinda ridiculous, even for fanboys. :crazed:

I trust this film will work as it took forever to get the script approved by both Steven and George. Have faith.....and quit yer complaining...at least until we find out more about the film/see a trailer. Then, complain all you want! hehehehe :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
04-21-2007, 10:04 PM
I dunno if he's filling in for (or as) Marcus, or if it's a new character entirely.

What? Nobody could play the role of Marcus again since Denholm Elliott has passed on.:cry:

Droid
04-21-2007, 11:52 PM
I trust this film will work as it took forever to get the script approved by both Steven and George. Have faith.....and quit yer complaining...at least until we find out more about the film/see a trailer. Then, complain all you want! hehehehe :thumbsup:

Yes, what could go wrong from the quality control team that brought us The Phantom Menace and the current Transformers movie? :rolleyes:

jonthejedi
04-22-2007, 04:46 AM
I hope Sallah is back, at least! It will be interesting to see who the nemesis will be, since WWII will clearly be over.

2-1B
04-22-2007, 07:49 AM
I wasn't terribly thrilled to hear that Shia was attached. Not that he is a bad actor, but he is just w-r-o-n-g for this franchise. Very disappointing.

That was my thought, too. I got a kick out of the kid on Project Greenlight a few years back but I can't "see" him in an Indy flick.

El Chuxter
04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm just complaining because Darabont wrote a script for it that wasn't used. That's Frank Darabont, one of the greatest screenwriters in Hollywood. The guy who directed and wrote both The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. But, no, George Lucas, who has wrote such turds as The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and especially Revenge of the Sith, thinks the script isn't good enough.

That's like the pot calling the hot pink go-go boots black.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 08:15 PM
I hate the idea of having Indy have a child, but I actually think a daughter would have been more interesting than a son.That's a good point, I feel the same way, the father-son dynamic has been done to perfection in the series already and would not benefit from a rehashing, but Indy's relationships with women are a horse of a different color.

What? Nobody could play the role of Marcus again since Denholm Elliott has passed on.:cry:TOTALLY agree! But Lucas made a fake Tarkin, so you can't trust him to do the right thing there.

Yes, what could go wrong from the quality control team that brought us The Phantom Menace and the current Transformers movie? :rolleyes:Eek, good point. :(

General_Grievous
04-22-2007, 08:47 PM
TOTALLY agree! But Lucas made a fake Tarkin, so you can't trust him to do the right thing there.

Well, obviously that was under different circumstances. Tarkin didn't even speak in ROTS, and it looked like a younger Cushing, so it was excusable.

I actually think that they will mention Marcus's death in passing in Indy IV, since Ray Winstone could likely be the new museum curator. Marcus was a curator, wasn't he? After all, in Last Crusade Indy said Marcus got lost in his own museum.

JediTricks
04-22-2007, 10:17 PM
They didn't mention Marcus or Sallah in Temple of Doom, so they may not mention him.

Marcus was sort of a procurement agent for the museum, the guy who hired chaps like Indy and Belloq to do the adventuring.

Tycho
04-23-2007, 07:53 AM
It's been since December that I rode on the Indiana Jones Adventure ride at Disneyland. All this talk makes me want to go back just for that ride! I've ridden it so many times, too. And all I want to do when I get off of it is go back on it again!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
It's official: Connery is NOT returning and John Hurt has been added to the cast, but not as his father, at least from what i saw. Steven did say that his dad was in the film, but if Connery didn't want to come back, they could rewrite the scene(s). Here is official announcement with a funny quote from Sean:

Academy Award nominee John Hurt, whose career in film spans more than 40 years, has played memorable roles in movies both big and small. His impressive body of work includes such films as V for Vendetta, Elephant Man, 1984, Midnight Express, Contact, and Alien. On television, he won world-wide acclaim for his role of Caligula in "I, Claudius" and Quentin Crisp, in "The Naked Civil Servant".

While the man with the hat is back, this time he's not bringing his Dad. Sean Connery, who retired from acting in 2005, said:

"I get asked the question so often, I thought it best to make an announcement. I thought long and hard about it and if anything could have pulled me out of retirement it would have been an Indiana Jones film. I love working with Steven and George, and it goes without saying that it is an honor to have Harrison as my son. But in the end, retirement is just too damned much fun. I, do however, have one bit of advice for Junior: Demand that the critters be digital, the cliffs be low, and for goodness sake keep that whip by your side at all times in case you need to escape from the stunt coordinator! This is a remarkable cast, and I can only say, 'Break a leg, everyone.' I'll see you on May 22, 2008 at the theater!"

This is a bummer, but what can ya do? I'm still excited about this. :thumbsup:

Tycho
06-07-2007, 11:10 PM
That sort of is disappointing. I liked Sean Connery's take on Professor Henry Jones - plus his dynamic with "Junior."

figrin bran
06-08-2007, 12:28 AM
It's been since December that I rode on the Indiana Jones Adventure ride at Disneyland. All this talk makes me want to go back just for that ride! I've ridden it so many times, too. And all I want to do when I get off of it is go back on it again!

i know what you mean! the only reason why i wouldn't go on it more than 2 or 3 times consecutively is the long walk as you exit the cave.

do we know that hasbro has the toy license for this film? personally i'd like to see zizzle get it but it'll probably be hasbro.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-08-2007, 01:29 AM
i know what you mean! the only reason why i wouldn't go on it more than 2 or 3 times consecutively is the long walk as you exit the cave.

do we know that hasbro has the toy license for this film? personally i'd like to see zizzle get it but it'll probably be hasbro.

I know that Lego picked up some rights to it for lego sets. And i'd LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE a "Lego Indiana Jones" video game with all four films in it ala SW Lego. Man, that would just be......words cannot fathom the greatness it could be.

Frankly, I'd love for NECA to get the license to Indy. Hasbro would screw it up and NECA hasn't let me down yet. My vote goes to them. :thumbsup:

Droid
06-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I'd really like a "Galactic Heroes" Indiana Jones!

darthvyn
06-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Frankly, I'd love for NECA to get the license to Indy.

nice thought, that would be awesome. i just watched the first half of "temple of doom" on my way to work today. i'd love a good indy in both his nightclub attire and classic outfit, as well as shortround and mola ram... that would rock! of course we'd want characters from other movies as well, but those are fresh in my mind at the moment.

JediTricks
06-09-2007, 03:14 AM
I don't think Connery is a big loss here, he was fun in Last Crusade but I suspect his part would have at best just been an extended cameo here, and at worst a retread of material we've already gotten.

figrin bran
06-18-2007, 09:26 PM
So as it turns out, Hasbro and Lego (http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_merchandise.php?id=218) have the toy licenses for the film.

"a broad line of action figures" suggests to me 3.75" figures, mini unleashed, large unleashed. they'll be making vehicles as well, which sounds promising.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-18-2007, 10:58 PM
So as it turns out, Hasbro and Lego (http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_merchandise.php?id=218) have the toy licenses for the film.

"a broad line of action figures" suggests to me 3.75" figures, mini unleashed, large unleashed. they'll be making vehicles as well, which sounds promising.

Well, there goes any hope of a good Indy line. Crap. At least we can hope for a fantastic Indiana Jones lego game, right? :upset:

JediTricks
06-19-2007, 03:27 AM
Sadly, it seems as if Hasbro is the only company competent enough to deliver a mass-market action figure line anymore. :( The rest of 'em are either too small so they end up at niche stores only, or totally inept at distribution and design that they stumble with every step they take. Toy Biz and Zizzle are the only ones besides Hasbro that I think could handle this, but both of them are far smaller and probably couldn't afford the license.

Beast
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I'd really like a "Galactic Heroes" Indiana Jones!
There you go, look on the bright side. The GH/SHS/RH lines are one of Hasbro's best ideas.

Tycho
06-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Maybe I'll be able to buy Indiana Jones' action figure and pretend he's an EU older Han Solo.

I'll have to wait and see about the others. I'm not sure I'd collect an Indy toyline but it's very tempting just because I like Indiana Jones so much.

But if Indy can pass for Han, then that's a definite go if they're 3 3/4".

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Ladies and gents, I give thee: Indiana Jones in the 4th film. Pic credit: Steven S. http://www.indianajones.com/community/news/news20070621.html

The age is there, but i'm crediting the look to the dust and dirt he's got on him. All in all, I'm REALLY happy to see Indy back in action. :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
06-22-2007, 02:28 PM
CNN aired that Indy pic this morning in a short blurb about the new movie. I was watching The Greatest Game Ever Played with Shia LaBeouf the other day and thought he did have a resemblance to Harry Ford, epecially the snoz. I'm a little leery about this new film with Ford's advanced age and Lucas' SW prequel flops, so I'm hoping against hope that Spielberg can add a moderating influence and pull this thing through.

Disappointed that Hasbro got the license though. I would have liked 21st Century Toys to do the figures since they already do such fine work on their WWII 4" line. I've been buying up their WWII German soldiers, especially AfrikaKorps troopers, in the event that new Indy toys appear. But like JT said, 21st probably couldn't afford Lucasfilm's licensing fees and get product to every big box retailer in the country (though Wal-Marts carry their product, which is almost as good).

Should be an easy deal for LEGO since they already did a 1930's archaeological theme a few years ago. Just have to ressurrect their Johnny Thunder mini-figs & Co, dust 'em off, and poof: instant Indiana Jones.

JediTricks
06-22-2007, 04:09 PM
First thing I noticed was he's carrying a little more weight and age in his face, especially the eyes, but he'll still bring it.

He's got fake blood on his knee. :p

21st Century Toys also doesn't have very strong distribution, so that may be another factor.

Johnny Thunder has a different hat and a mustache. :p

2-1B
06-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Bring back Tom Selleck.

Tycho
06-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Indiana Jones is cool. I love the ride at Disneyland.

figrin bran
06-22-2007, 09:43 PM
Indiana Jones is cool. I love the ride at Disneyland.

This might be the best Disneyland ride based movie ever! :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-28-2007, 10:31 AM
http://www.indianajones.com/community/news/mov/firstday.mov

VERY brief first day of shooting video is up. Brief as in it took a few minutes to load but only lasted about a minute brief. Shows some of the 1950's style of cars along with some words from Steven. Not much, but still kinda interesting. :thumbsup:

Tycho
06-28-2007, 10:43 AM
I couldn't see it. My computer said some plug-in didn't initialize properly, whatever that means.

UPDATE: cool! I cleared my Temp files and it worked fine. I saw George Lucas in those shots, too.

Thanks for sharing JMG! It seems like the first moment of their shooting ever!

figrin bran
06-28-2007, 10:47 AM
I couldn't see it. My computer said some plug-in didn't initialize properly, whatever that means.

It means either you don't have the latest version of Quicktime or you don't have it at all on your computer in which case you'd need to download/install it in order to see the videos.

Tycho
06-28-2007, 10:49 AM
It means either you don't have the latest version of Quicktime or you don't have it at all on your computer in which case you'd need to download/install it in order to see the videos.

I just got it to work. My Temp Files were full of Ann Coulter and John Edwards, so I had to clear all that.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Video #2 is up!! Shows the outfit and some footage along with Steven, Harrison and George yucking it up (i love George's shirt too).

Very exciting stuff! http://indianajones.com/community/news/indyarrives.html

I read that the first volume (of 3) of Young Indiana Jones chronicles are coming to DVD on October 23rd. I think George had to go back and change stuff to coniciden with the fourth film. I didn't watch the show as a young lad, was it good? worth picking up on DVD?

JediTricks
07-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Lucas is wearing the Han Solo badge art shirt from CIV!

Tycho
07-26-2007, 07:09 PM
At Comic Con, via satelite, the original actress that played Marion Ravenwood (Raiders of the Lost Ark) appeared, confirming she was in the cast as Shia LeBouf's mom. He appeared with Harrison Ford and Steve Spielberg (and another actor who's likely Marcus Brody?) all together - Indy in his costume, Shia with a beard (WTF?) and they spoke to the Comic Con guests.

Harrison said this is going to be the best one yet!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Hey, spoiler alerts are cool.

And I doubt it's Marcus as the actor who played him died back in 1992 or so. I think they would just have a new character instead of tarnishing the old one. :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
07-27-2007, 12:02 AM
The other sidekick is played by Ray Winstone, who is also going to be in the Beowulf movie.

darko666
07-27-2007, 08:23 PM
glad to see Marion Ravenwood added to the cast. wow, Karen Allen looks amazing. and seeing the Ark on the main site is also a good sign. 2008 is shaping up to be a great year for movies.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-27-2007, 10:29 PM
I read that the first volume (of 3) of Young Indiana Jones chronicles are coming to DVD on October 23rd. I think George had to go back and change stuff to coniciden with the fourth film. I didn't watch the show as a young lad, was it good? worth picking up on DVD?I didn't see all of them, but I enjoyed them for the most part. I liked how he interacted with a lot of historical figures. It was a nice history lesson, especially the Paris Peace Conference after World War I. You can see how what happened there set the stage for many of the problems that happened in the rest of the century and still have today.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-30-2007, 04:32 PM
I know that Lego picked up some rights to it for lego sets. And i'd LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE a "Lego Indiana Jones" video game with all four films in it ala SW Lego. Man, that would just be......words cannot fathom the greatness it could be.

And alas, my prayers have been answered!!

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/legoindianajones/

Plays through Indy 1-3; trailer looks AWESOME. Due out next summer! Man, 08 is going to be crazy expensive for Indy Fans!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

General_Grievous
07-30-2007, 06:03 PM
That's great news! But I wonder why they didn't include Indy IV in the game. I guess it'll have its own (non-LEGO) game adaptation when the movie comes out. I can't wait to play the rolling boulder level from Raiders and the mine cart chase from Temple of Doom.

figrin bran
07-31-2007, 12:44 AM
That trailer for the game was probably the best thing about the Star Wars at 30 presentation at SDCC! JT was sitting next to me and I think both of us wish we could've played the Indy game right then and there.

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 05:24 PM
That trailer for the game was probably the best thing about the Star Wars at 30 presentation at SDCC! JT was sitting next to me and I think both of us wish we could've played the Indy game right then and there.
Yeah, Lego Indy Trilogy looked pretty enticing, much better than Sansweet's unbearable presentation (unbearable because it's too much sales pitch and too rehashed from CIV), they were going a little Pitfall-happy with it but I can't say that's an entirely bad thing when it comes to Dr Jones.

My guess is Trilogy first because it's all there and ready to be mined, while Indy 4 is still being made. Plus, double-dipping.

Shia with facial hair was chuckle-inducing though. And they showed a moment of some characters on a motorcycle that we already knew were tethered to a crane above for safety, but the footage had the tethers removed already!

Rocketboy
08-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Has the title been registered with the MPAA?
Lucasfilm has actually registered six titles (http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/08/10/six-indiana-jones-movie-titles-registered-with-the-mpaa/) for Indy 4 (POSSIBLE SPOILERS, duh).

General_Grievous
08-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Eh, none of them have a good ring to it. If any of them are chosen, I'd want it to be "Indiana Jones and the City of Gods".

Tycho
08-11-2007, 10:20 PM
The one that has to do with crystals intrigued me actually. I don't think it's the real title, but it could be cool if it were.

JediTricks
08-12-2007, 04:45 AM
They all sound fake or like '80s washouts. I hope they're not real, that'd be a shame. The first 3 had an elegance to them.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2007, 01:41 PM
City of Gods doesn't sound too bad. I guess it all depends on what the movie is about.

Rocketboy
08-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Some possible details on the Young Indy DVDs (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7862):
- Volume 1 to be released on October 23
- 12 discs
- Episodes run 649 minutes (less than 11 hours), so there will more than likely be a sh*tload of Special Features (like historical documentaries that Lucas and McCallum promised)
- Suggested Retail Price: $118.00

I'd like to get them, but that is quite expensive for a show I've never really seen.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Some possible details on the Young Indy DVDs (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7862):
- Volume 1 to be released on October 23
- 12 discs
- Episodes run 649 minutes (less than 11 hours), so there will more than likely be a sh*tload of Special Features (like historical documentaries that Lucas and McCallum promised)
- Suggested Retail Price: $118.00

I'd like to get them, but that is quite expensive for a show I've never really seen.They will probably be cheaper than that someplace. I'd like to get them as well.

Tycho
08-19-2007, 04:27 AM
So could we figure 11 hours = 11 episodes?

How many episodes are there total? How big could this collection get?

UPDATE after Wikipedia...

There are 44 episodes, but 3 DVD sets planned. Therefore I'd guess the other two sets will have close to 16 episodes each on them.

The first might have 12 or more, likewise.

This October will be the first set. January will feature the 2nd one. After May's Indy-4 release the last one will come out.

Rocketboy
08-19-2007, 10:15 AM
They will probably be cheaper than that someplace. I'd like to get them as well.Definitely, but even at a first week price of $90 or so is still pretty expensive for a show I've never seen.

So could we figure 11 hours = 11 episodes?

How many episodes are there total? How big could this collection get?

UPDATE after Wikipedia...

There are 44 episodes, but 3 DVD sets planned. Therefore I'd guess the other two sets will have close to 16 episodes each on them.

The first might have 12 or more, likewise.An hour long tv show is roughly 45 minutes without the commercials, which is 14-15 episodes per set, which fits with 44 episodes divided into 3 sets.

Beast
08-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I do like how they're making each volume packed with extras.

Especially the historical documentaries about the different eras shown in the series.

Rocketboy
08-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Artwork has been released. (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/adventures-of-young-indiana-jones.html)

Mad Slanted Powers
08-22-2007, 12:48 AM
The artwork seems to show the younger Indy more prominently than the teen Indy.

Beast
08-27-2007, 01:26 PM
DVD Times has a breakdown of the Young Indy Volume 1 DVD Set now. Wow....

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones Volume 1 on 23rd October 2007. A critically acclaimed combination of adventure, romance and history from creator George Lucas, The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones is a series of feature-length episodes which star Sean Patrick Flanery as teenaged Indy and Corey Carrier as 9-year-old Indy. The cast of guest stars includes Christopher Lee, Vanessa Redgrave, Max von Sydow, Anne Heche, Lukas Haas, Elizabeth Hurley, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Jeffrey Wright and Daniel Craig.

The Emmy-award winning series makes its DVD debut on Oct. 23 with an unprecedented array of all-new bonus materials, which allow viewers to dig deeper into the real-life events behind young Indyís globe-trotting coming-of-age. The first of three collections, The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones Volume 1 is a 12-disc set which includes seven feature-length episodes as well as 38 in-depth companion documentaries, an historical overview, an interactive game and an interactive timeline that gives an exciting and educational cross-section of the early 20th century.

The 38 historical companion films are original works from the Lucasfilm documentary unit, headed by CBS News veteran David Schneider. The documentaries complement the episodes with insights from scholars, historians and luminaries from a wide range of disciplines, bringing remarkable and fresh insight into The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones. They include interviews with Gen. Colin Powell, Henry Kissinger, Gloria Steinem, Martin Scorsese, Barbara Boxer, James Earl Jones, Hal David and Deepak Chopra, along with some of the nationís pre-eminent academics.

Volume Two of the series will follow on Dec. 18, with Volume Three scheduled for release in Spring 2008. The complete three-volume collection will contain 22 feature-length movies and 94 documentaries, interactive games developed by River Deep, an interactive timeline produced by Terra Incognita Productions and an historical overview by noted author and University of Texas history professor H.W. Brands.

The first of three comprehensive collections, The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones Volume 1 is a 12-disc set presented in full screen with Dolby Digital English Stereo and English subtitles.

The DVD disc breakdown is as follows:

Disc One:
-- My First Adventure
While on an archeological dig in Egypt's Valley of the Kings, Indy uncovers an ancient mummy and fresh corpse. With the help of T.E. Lawrence, the legendary Lawrence of Arabia, Indy solves an intriguing murder mystery only to find himself thrust right back into danger when he is kidnapped by slave-trading brigands. Dragged on a terrifying journey across the burning sands of North Africa to the slave markets of Marrakech, Indy finds that he must rely on his courage and wits to survive the brutal ordeal.

Companion Historical Documentaries:
-- Archaeology: Unearthing Our Past
-- Howard Carter and the Tomb of Tutankhamun
-- Colonel Lawrence's War: T.E. Lawrence and Arabia
-- From Slavery to Freedom

Disc Two:

-- Passion For Life
The beautiful Masai Mara game reserve in Kenya is the locale as Indy goes on safari with former President Teddy Roosevelt. When he becomes lost in the savage African bush, Indy finds that he must fight for his life against all manner of exotic and dangerous wildlife. Exotic wildlife of another kind await him in Paris when he accompanies a young Norman Rockwell on a rollicking tour through the bohemian world of Parisian fine art. Wild parties, wilder women and artist temperament are on full display as Pablo Picasso and Edgar Degas clash over their contrasting styles of painting, while painting the town red at a gaudy late-night soiree.

Disc Three (Passion For Life bonus disc):

-- Theodore Roosevelt and The American Century
-- Ecology: Pulse of the Planet
-- American Dreams: Norman Rockwell and the Saturday Evening Post
-- Art Rebellion: The Making of the Modern
-- Edgar Degas: Reluctant Rebel
-- Braque + Picasso: A Collaboration Cubed

Disc Four:

-- The Perils of Cupid
In beautiful Vienna, Indy falls for the lovely young daughter of soon-to-be assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria. But the course of true love does not run smoothly and he must seek advice from two of the founding fathers of psychology, Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung. Romantic complications of another kind turn up in Florence, Italy, when Indy and his mother meet the great opera composer Giacomo Puccini. Dismayed to find his lonely mother succumbing to the sensuous charms of the charismatic Puccini, Indy frantically looks for a way to reunite his parents and rekindle their love before it's too late.

Disc Five (The Perils of Cupid bonus disc):

-- Giacomo Puccini--Music of the Heart
-- It's Opera!
-- The Archduke's Last Journey--End of an Era
-- Powder Keg--Europe 1900 to 1914
-- Sigmund Freud--Exploring the Unconscious
-- Carl Jung and the Journey of Self Discovery
-- Psychology--Charting the Human Mind

Disc Six:

-- Travels with Father
A trip to Russia takes Indy from the opulent palaces of the aristocracy to the fetid villages of the peasant class when he runs away from home after an argument with his parents. Joining up with novelist Leo Tolstoy, the two go on the road, engaging in philosophical discussions and clashing with colorful Gypsies and ferocious Cossacks. Realizing that there's no place like home, Indy rejoins his mom and dad and travels with his father to an isolated Greek monastery perched high on the peak of a mountain. The arduous journey, including a harrowing trip in a tiny cage up a thousand-foot mountainside, brings father and son closer together.

-- Seeking Truth--The Life of Leo Tolstoy
-- Unquiet Voices--Russian Writers and the State
-- Aristotle--Creating Foundations
-- Ancient Questions--Philosophy and Our Search for Meaning

Disc Seven:

-- Journey of Radiance
A jaunt through the mystical Far East takes Indy to the Holy City of Benares where he befriends the lonely and isolated young leader of the Theosophy movement, Jiddu Krishnamurti. Surrounded by supplicants and hangers-on, Krishnamurti struggles to have faith in himself and to fulfill the destiny decreed for him by his worshippers. In the process he shows Indy just how strong the power of faith can be. Indy's mother also learns a lesson in faith and trust when she must rely on some poor Chinese villagers and their traditional medical techniques to save the life of her son who lies perilously close to death with typhoid fever.

-- Jiddu Krishnamurti--The Reluctant Messiah
-- Annie Besant--An Unlikely Rebel
-- Medicine in the Middle Kingdom
-- Eastern Spirituality--The Road to Enlightenment

Disc Eight:

-- Spring Break Adventure
Indy and his girlfriend Nancy Stratemeyer, whose father created the Nancy Drew mystery series, visit the fascinating laboratory of inventor Thomas Edison. The two must contend with dangerous German spies as they struggle to keep Edison's top secret new invention out of the hands of hostile enemy agents. To keep him from getting into any more trouble, Indy is sent to visit his Aunt in New Mexico. While there, he is kidnapped by Pancho Villa and swept up into the Mexican Revolution. Chaotic, free-wheeling border towns, a "Wild Bunch" style train robbery and a colorful barroom encounter with a young George Patton make for thrilling entertainment in this action-packed movie.

Disc Nine (Spring Break Adventure bonus disc):

-- Thomas Alva Edison--Lighting up the World
-- Invention and Innovation--What's Behind a Good Idea?
-- The Mystery of Edward Stratemeyer
-- Wanted: Dead or Alive--Pancho Villa and the American Invasion of Mexico
-- General John J. Pershing and his American Army
-- George S. Patton--American Achilles

Disc Ten:

-- Love's Sweet Song
Landing in Ireland right before the Easter Rebellion, Indy mixes romance and revolutionary politics when he falls for a beautiful young colleen whose brother is mixed up in the Irish resistance movement. Across the waters in England he encounters a similar problem when his love affair with a strong-willed young woman is derailed by her fervent belief in the women's suffrage movement and her need for independence. Violent street brawls, a terrifying Zeppelin raid and a seriocomic dinner party with Winston Churchill provide plenty of thrills in this exciting, romantic adventure.

Disc Eleven (Love's Sweet Song bonus disc):

-- Easter Rising--The Poets' Rebellion
-- The Passions of William Butler Yeats
-- Sean O'Casey vs. Ireland
-- Ireland--The Power of the Poets
-- Winston Churchill--The Lion's Roar
-- Demanding the Vote--The Pankhursts and British Suffrage
-- Fighting for the Vote--Women's Suffrage in America

Disc Twelve: (Interactive Disc)

Special Features:
-- "Revolution" Interactive Game, based on Spring Break Adventure allows players to become Indy and make their own decisions based on Indy's adventures. As well as entertaining, this game has educational elements.
-- Extensive Interactive Timeline that details the history and locations of Indy's adventures and previews footage of the companion documentaries.
-- Historical Lecture: The Promise of Progress is an exploration of the people and events of the Industrial Revolution, spanning the late 19th century to the early 20th century.

Beast
08-27-2007, 01:35 PM
By the way, you can pre-order it right now 50% off ($64.99) from DVD Empire.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_item.asp?userid=99365711718475&item_id=1363477&searchID=20856

El Chuxter
08-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Wow. That's more bonus than show! :eek:

As hefty and expensive as they are, I think they might be releasing the sets a little too close to one another.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-27-2007, 02:12 PM
This might be a blind purchase for me. I heard this was a good show and i'm REALLY REALLY impressed with all of the documentaries that coincide with the show. Very well put together set it looks like! :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-09-2007, 09:30 PM
I just got a couple of phone calls from friends/family who were watching the MTV awards and Shia said that the title of the new film is called, "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." I didn't see him say it (don't watch MTV) but i'm sure we'll be hearing if this is legit or not in the coming days....hell, tomorrow. Also, the Indy Ride at the Tokyo Disneysea is called, "Indiana Jones and the TEMPLE of the Crystal Skull." So, who knows what's going on? Still, sounds interesting to say the least. :thumbsup:

Beast
09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
StarWars.Com has a tour of Disc 1 and Disc 3 up on the site right now.

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/films/news20070830.html
http://www.starwars.com/community/news/films/news20070907.html

I like what I'm reading so far. Those historical documentaries are going to rock. :D

General_Grievous
09-10-2007, 09:24 AM
It's for real.

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html

The title is Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Meh. I'll still call it Indy 4.

figrin bran
09-10-2007, 10:34 AM
The one that has to do with crystals intrigued me actually. I don't think it's the real title, but it could be cool if it were.

Looks like Tycho got his wish after all!

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Man, with every new announcement, this sounds more like "Indiana Jones and the Revenge of the Attacking Phantom Clones Menace."

Maybe we can hope Genndy will do a spinoff cartoon that doesn't blow.

Tycho
09-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Looks like Tycho got his wish after all!

Well the toyline will be "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the PLASTIC Skull," for sure.

In this exciting sequel, Indy battles led poisoning from toys manufactured in China!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Man, with every new announcement, this sounds more like "Indiana Jones and the Revenge of the Attacking Phantom Clones Menace."

Maybe we can hope Genndy will do a spinoff cartoon that doesn't blow.

Totally, cos "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Arc" was so much more realistic. And you can also tell the movie will blow..oh, considering we know very little about it..... Lighten up Chux. :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 02:23 PM
The other three were based on existing myths and legends. The two better ones on Judaeo-Christian legends, the other based on the (extinct in reality) Thugee cult of Kali. Combine a departure from this formula (ever heard of a mythical "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"?) with the pooptastic last three movies Lucas had any involvement with, and my hopes for this are less than if Michael Bay took over and based it on Scientology.

Beast
09-10-2007, 02:39 PM
The other three were based on existing myths and legends. The two better ones on Judaeo-Christian legends, the other based on the (extinct in reality) Thugee cult of Kali. Combine a departure from this formula (ever heard of a mythical "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"?) with the pooptastic last three movies Lucas had any involvement with, and my hopes for this are less than if Michael Bay took over and based it on Scientology.
The Crystal Skull is an existing myth and legend.

Without doubt the most famous and enigmatic skull is the one allegedly discovered in 1927 (or 1926, or 1924, depending on the source) by either F. A. Mitchell-Hedges or by his daughter Anna inside a temple on her 17th birthday (so claimed) in Lubaantun, in British Honduras, now Belize. The temple had only just been opened that day when she volunteered to go down and "explore". It is commonly referred to as the Skull of Doom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_skull

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Yes. It is not, however, an ancient legend. It is a 20th-century legend, which is why I drew a comparison with Scientology (a 20th-century religion).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Yes. It is not, however, an ancient legend. It is a 20th-century legend, which is why I drew a comparison with Scientology (a 20th-century religion).

So, if something is found or from after 1900, it's no good/not doable/would not make for a good film? I don't understand that logic, Chux.

Tycho
09-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Oh cool! Will Michael Bay be an assistant director on this one that casts Tom Cruise as the primary bad guy? This could be a perfect movie!

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 04:48 PM
So, if something is found or from after 1900, it's no good/not doable/would not make for a good film? I don't understand that logic, Chux.

Nor do I, since that's not anywhere close to the point I was making.

The three previous films were rooted in mythology. Everyone knows the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant. Most people have some vague idea about the Thugee. They're part of our collective consciousness, which is why the films work. They don't have to explain in detail what these are. Everyone knows the basics, even if they don't have the finer points down.

By contrast, the crystal skull legend is a weak one and not particularly well-known. I'd never heard of it before the title reveal for Indy IV, and immediately searched for it. The most reputable source was the same Wikipedia page Beast referenced above, which--despite Wikipedia's tendency to be a haven for conspiracy theorists, crackpots, and lunatics--doesn't even really offer speculation that the skulls might be legit. In fact, unlike any other "loony theory" page I've seen there, it presents the supposed facts, points out how they contradict each other, then tears them to shreds.

Add to that the fact that I've spoken to several people since about this, and none of them have heard of this legend, either. None of us are ignorant people. We all are interested in mythology from around the world. Hell, this is the one "archeological conspiracy theory" that's so obscure and half-baked that even the Discovery Channel doesn't devote 10-20 hours a week to discussing.

Keep in mind, too, that (assuming the skulls will possess arcane powers, which seems standard in Indy films) this goes totally against Raiders and Last Crusade in that it will grant amazing powers to an artifact not of the Judeo-Christian tradition. It waters down (for lack of a better term) the importance of any one belief system in a fictional universe if multiple cultures have items of the same variety despite the powers coming from totally unrelated gods. Yes, I realize that Temple of Doom does the same thing, and that it also seems totally unrelated to the others aside from the title character. Only thing is, Temple of Doom was an awesome movie, so it's forgiveable.

Am I saying Kingdom of the Crystal Skull won't be awesome? No. I'm just saying that I am not about to get my hopes up about it. Even if I fear the worst, I'll see this one in theaters, and pray for the best.

Am I keeping my hopes low only because of the title and a basis that seems dubious to me? Not entirely. Like I said, Temple of Doom has the same possible faults.

But let's look at the other facts:
Harrison is now 65 years old. He is six years older than Sean Connery was in Last Crusade. He might not look as old as Connery did, but it's the truth. Can we expect the same level of action that we've expected from the previous Indy films? I can't say. The last action role he played was in Firewall, which I didn't see and which didn't seem to do particularly well. Prior to that, it was Air Force One, a full ten years ago.
Connery is not coming out of retirement for this one. That could be a bad sign, if he's not willing to have his name attached, but more likely it's simply because he's old. To replace the "father/son" dynamic of the two, they appear to have put Indy in the father role, and thrown in a son, played by Shia LaBouf. I know he's Hollywood's darling right now, but so was Keanu Reaves at one point. I've not seen him in much, but what I have seen doesn't impress me much in regard to his acting ability. This seems more a desperate move to put in a hot young star of the moment.
In the tumultuous history of this film (rivalling Superman Returns at this point), how many writers have been involved? First, we have Shyamalan, whose script proposals were shot down. This is the guy who gave us The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Next, Frank Darabont--definitely a step up even from Shyamalan, and easily one of the best screenwriters in the business. But Lucas shot his script down after it was completed. Why? We don't know. But, from appearances in the recent past, Lucas doesn't appear to like being upstaged. (We all know what happened when an animator told a much better Star Wars story in three hours than he was capable of telling in more than seven.) Now we have a script written by Jeff Nathanson (famous for the Oscar-worthy Rush Hour series) and polished by David Koepp (who has some real gems in his resume, but just as many clunkers). Based on what I can gather about the crazy old man in the flannel shirt and with Kleenex boxes on his feet, the story is only (at best) as good as he is capable of. And this is the guy who gave us the classic, "What, you don't know how to save my wife? Never mind. Let's go kill a bunch of kids."
Which brings me to the last point, my major reason for not being too hopeful about Indy IV: George Lucas may have been a creative force at one point, but he is little more than a blithering idiot now. TPM was weak as hell, but at least had some of the fun of SW in it. AOTC was insanely stupid, full of ridiculous twists that served no purpose other than to put car chases and other ultimately unnecessary action sequences in it. ROTS, which could easily have saved the entire mess, was the most rushed case of incomplete character development ever witnessed by the human race. It's an okay movie. It's not a good movie, much less a great movie. Again, "Let's go kill some kids! I try to live up to what my Mom would like, and she would've wanted that."
I'm not hating the movie yet, but I've been burned enough times with high-profile movies that turned out to be so embarassingly bad the director should've used the old Alan Smithee byline (and most of them were by Lucas, in fact--if you can do SW and ESB, you should be ashamed to put your name on AOTC or ROTS). These are my reasons and, agree or disagree, I hope you can forgive my lack of optimism here.

JediTricks
09-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Man, with every new announcement, this sounds more like "Indiana Jones and the Revenge of the Attacking Phantom Clones Menace."Yeah, this is another instance of total butt on this project. And it's not like it'd be a great name if they pulled a Raiders, "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" sounds pretty fneh.

Maybe we can hope Genndy will do a spinoff cartoon that doesn't blow.Sure, but then Indy will be able to whip the moon and use it to swing from continent to continent.

2-1B
09-10-2007, 07:11 PM
As bad as the prequels were, Clone Wars was worse...if they let Genndy rub his "talent" over the Indy franchise, it will be worse than the Young Indy show. lol

Mad Slanted Powers
09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
The three previous films were rooted in mythology. Everyone knows the Holy Grail and the Ark of the Covenant. Most people have some vague idea about the Thugee. They're part of our collective consciousness, which is why the films work. They don't have to explain in detail what these are. Everyone knows the basics, even if they don't have the finer points down.I'd never heard of Thugee before or since I saw Temple of Doom. Perhaps that helps support your theory because that was my least favorite of the three. However, I don't think it was the mythology about that film that made it worse than the other two. I just think it was the story and the way it was told.

In the tumultuous history of this film (rivalling Superman Returns at this point), how many writers have been involved? First, we have Shyamalan, whose script proposals were shot down. This is the guy who gave us The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Next, Frank Darabont--definitely a step up even from Shyamalan, and easily one of the best screenwriters in the business. But Lucas shot his script down after it was completed. Why? We don't know. But, from appearances in the recent past, Lucas doesn't appear to like being upstaged. (We all know what happened when an animator told a much better Star Wars story in three hours than he was capable of telling in more than seven.) I didn't think the Clone Wars was any better than the prequels. It certainly wasn't better than TPM. I really like that movie. As for Shyamalan, I've enjoyed the films of his that I have seen, (Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Lady in the Water), but he seems to have gotten a lot of bad reviews for everything after Sixth Sense. I recall someone in the theater at the end of Unbreakable saying something like, "that sucked."

I'm optimistic. After Temple of Doom, they came back with Last Crusade which was as good or better than Lost Ark. The Young Indy series after that was pretty good. Besides, Lucas isn't directing.

Tycho
09-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Since religion is a theme in all the Indy films, I like the idea of exploring Scientology for a movie.

Like they were shouting, "Mola Ram! Mola Ram!" they could be shouting "Thomas Cruise! Thomas Cruise!"

Indy would have to save Katie Holmes in this installment.

2-1B
09-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Temple of Doom was always my favorite of the Indy Trilogy...and no I am not joking. :)

RooJay
09-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Guess it just goes to show you that you can't please everyone all the time. There are even some people you can't please ever.:lipsrsealed::rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I also liked IJ&TOD the best, then and now. They're all good in their own ways (wow Bel-Cam, way to go out on a limb on that opinion :rolleyes: ). I have been curious how they'd play Mr. Ford, and when/where they'd set it in the 20th century.

JimJamBonds
09-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Temple of Doom was always my favorite of the Indy Trilogy...and no I am not joking. :)

Temple would be my least favorite although I love all three.

2-1B
09-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I like the whole deal with the insects, snakes, ripping people's beating hearts from their chests, etc. lol

JediTricks
09-13-2007, 04:11 AM
TOD is easily my least-favorite of the trio, it starts strong and ends strong, but Indy's bogged down with too many annoying characters and doesn't get to go anywhere, and the pacing is a crawl once they get to the village all the way until Indy and Shorty get caught in the crusher room. Plus, it has kid-factor out the ying-yang.

That said, TOD is easily superior to any of the Young Indy shows... the ones I saw anyway, after a while I couldn't sit through them they were so boring. And I hated, hated, HATED the "Old Indy" parts.

El Chuxter
09-13-2007, 09:53 AM
I never saw Young Indy. I'm not adverse to watching them, but at $118 SRP, it's unlikely I will. Like RB said, that's a lot of money.

Beast
09-13-2007, 12:44 PM
I never saw Young Indy. I'm not adverse to watching them, but at $118 SRP, it's unlikely I will. Like RB said, that's a lot of money.
If you pre-ordered it, it was only $65.00. :)

El Chuxter
09-13-2007, 12:57 PM
$65 is still a lot of money. Hopefully this will be available for rental somewhere.

Of course, it'd be nice if there were still TV channels that aired older shows. Other than TVLand and their very limited selection.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Deep Discount has/will have it for 79.30. So, i'll just wait till their november 20% off sale and whamo, pay only 63 bucks or so. :thumbsup:

Mister Roboto
09-13-2007, 05:23 PM
You think $60 isn't a lot to spend on a TV show? Especially one you haven't seen? I bet you guys secretly have gambling problems.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-13-2007, 05:33 PM
You think $60 isn't a lot to spend on a TV show? Especially one you haven't seen? I bet you guys secretly have gambling problems.

lol Psh, nah, I can't afford gambling cos i'm a toy collector. :crazed:

Beast
09-13-2007, 06:34 PM
It's not a lot when it's 12 discs.

Hell, Mystery Science Theater is only 4 Discs - 4 episodes for $60.00 MSRP.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-13-2007, 06:50 PM
That said, TOD is easily superior to any of the Young Indy shows... the ones I saw anyway, after a while I couldn't sit through them they were so boring. And I hated, hated, HATED the "Old Indy" parts.I think I sort of felt that way some when I watched them back then. They weren't the action packed swashbuckling films that the movies were. Still, they did have some of that, and they were interesting stories. What I enjoyed the most was the interaction with historical figures.

El Chuxter
09-13-2007, 07:11 PM
The difference between MST3K and Young Indy is that I've seen Young Indy.

Oh, and $60 on the MSRP.

Not that I have or plan to get MST3K, either. I'm just saying, is all.

Kidhuman
09-13-2007, 07:19 PM
You guys talking about that horrid River Pheonix crap show?

2-1B
09-13-2007, 07:27 PM
I think they're talkin bout Sean Patrick Flannery.

He was better in Boondock Saints.

Beast
09-18-2007, 12:02 PM
TVShowsonDVD.Com has an update on Young Indiana Jones Vol. 2.

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
- Studio Officially Announces Volume 2 DVD Date -
Only Other Early Info Provided Is The Running Time

A few weeks ago the press release for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Volume 1 mentioned that the 2nd Volume on DVD would ship on December 18th. We have a brief note for you that Paramount Home Entertainment has officially announced The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Volume 2 this morning, confirming that release date and providing a running time of 12 hours, 6 minutes. No other info was provided yet, nor box art, but stay tuned and we'll update you when we unearth the rest of this treasure!

JEDIpartner
09-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Some mouthy extra on the set is in some serious trouble from Uncle Steven!!!

This is from IMDB.com:

It's hard to believe that ticket sales for the next Indiana Jones (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/) movie could be affected in the slightest by the remarks of an extra working on the film to an Oklahoma newspaper. But Marvin Levy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1297363/), a spokesman for Steven Spielberg (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000229/), who is directing the movie, told today's (Wednesday) New York Post, "Who knows whether that particular person will ever work in this town again?" The Post, which posted no spoiler alerts, noted that an extra, who was due to perform as a "dancing Russian soldier," told the Oklahoma paper that:1. The story concerns a search by Indy and the Soviet army for a priceless skull made of crystal, hidden in the jungles of South America; 2. Indy is taken hostage by the Russians who threaten to kill his ex-girlfriend and mother of his son if he doesn't cooperate; 3. One of the Russians is played by Cate Blanchett (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000949/) who questions Indy in the movie. The extra, a ballet dancer who was trained at the Bolshoi, said that his own big scene comes when he celebrates Indy's capture by dancing to a balalaika. However, the Post remarked that Spielberg, who is said to be "furious" over the dancer's revelations, is likely to cut his scene from the film.

Tycho
09-26-2007, 03:37 PM
I was numb when I just read that.

My thoughts at the moment:

1) Who cares? It sounds interesting. I was going to see the movie anyway. In fact, I only read a spoiler about it BECAUSE I cared in the first place.

2) A professional extra - perhaps this outside talent they hired who can dance if the part calls for it, should have been professional. There's a tendancy to tell all - sure. I suppose it's harder to contain a surprise when it's a movie-only, versus when someone like me writes a book and hopes it may one day be a movie. If it's an authentic potrayal of the story in the book, you can read the novel and know what happens. That doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy an effects-laden presentation of it visually though. "Jones," is not a book however. But with the internet, lately even books have spoilers: "Harry Potter does (or does not) die." (I don't know or care actually)

3) But should Spielberg be irrate? I don't know. That might be a sensationalist's way of journaling it. But yeah, I don't think the extra would become more sought-after in Hollywood after becoming an untrustworthy mouthpiece.

RooJay
09-27-2007, 02:27 AM
Personally, I think it's all pointless hoopla as pretty much all of the that could be extrapolated by the film's title alone; well...I suppose the Russian dancing could be considered a surprise, maybe. I never expected Indy would still be fighting Nazi's during the 1950s, and the Russians were our biggest enemies by that point, and of course I'm certain everyone has realized by now that the plot would somehow involve some kind of crystal skull.

DarthQuack
10-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Who's the thief???

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20071003/119140774100.html

El Chuxter
10-03-2007, 05:57 PM
stillakid did it.

Tycho
10-25-2007, 03:49 AM
I was just charged by DVD Empire for my Young Indiana Jones DVD box set volume one. I'd used the ordering link that Beast provided to get the discount and I ordered the set "blind" (having never seen ANY of the episodes before). But I like history and historical fiction and I trust the great reviews of many who have sung praises for the series here.

I'll let you know when I get the set and can start watching some episodes.

Beast
10-25-2007, 11:49 AM
I got mine on Tuesday from DVD Empire. Been through the first 3 discs so far. In other words, I've watched 2 of the movies and tons of historical documentaries. The documentaries are a bit dry, but the episodes/movies are still fun. :)

Tycho
10-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Would you order set 2? Is it available for pre-order yet, Beast?