PDA

View Full Version : Mace Windu's Lightsaber

Masterjedi73
10-03-2003, 10:49 PM
I just got a copy of the Ep 1 visual dictionary and noticed that the lightsaber there is different from the one that Mace carries in Ep 2. Why did he get the new one? Is there something explained in a story somewhere?

It also explains why the Hasbro Toy lightsaber looks nothing like the one he used in Ep 2. I had been wondering about that.

JediTricks
10-03-2003, 11:40 PM
The Hasbro "role-play" toy is based on the scrapped color-changing saber from a few years ago, which is why it's the hilt shown in Ep 1.

They did not explain why Mace switches from the Maul-similar saber of Ep 1 to gold-accented one in Ep 2, but they also didn't explain why in Ep 2 Obi-Wan is carrying the same saber he lost in Ep 1 (or an exact copy, I guess). I know the EU reasoning for why Mace had that Maul-esque saber though, he and Eeth Koth (another Zabrak Force-user like Maul who is on the Jedi Council) did some "trading sabers" ritual and either Koth is evil or all Zabrak Force-users build the same type of saber. ;)

2-1B
10-12-2003, 02:43 AM
JT, I was reading Insider this month and their column with Pablo Hidalgo addresses the Obi-Wan question:

basically he cites the AOTC scrapbook from Scholastic which says that Obi-Wan reconstructed his lightsaber to his preferred specifications. So the one he has in AOTC is a "near duplicate" (Pablo's words).
He also says that in real life, Ewan's choice of his lightsaber probably contributed to the similarities.

:)

JediTricks
10-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Bleah, both reasons seem lame. Gonna have a hard time switching from that look to the ANH one now. :(

derek
10-19-2003, 09:40 PM
i really wish obi-wan had used qui-gon's saber in episode 2, then after losing it on geonosis, i wish the saber those jedi tossed obi-wan had been his episode 4 saber........and anakin had been tossed luke's episode 4 saber........and dooku didn't cut it in half. ;)

JediTricks
10-19-2003, 11:55 PM
That might be a bit too convenient. ;)

seanmcfripp
10-24-2003, 06:24 AM
I also kinda thought Obi-wan was going to have Qui-gon's saber in AOTC. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe TPM novel) that he did wear Qui-gon's saber for a while. Would have been a nice way to honor his fallen master. It also may have made the scene with Obi-wan and Dooku in the detention room a little more dramatic...something like "I see you carry the weapon of you're master. Qui-gon was a cunning warrior, and a good friend. He always spoke very highly of you..." so on and so forth.

I also just figured that it would be more interesting visually for Obi-wan and Anakin have different colored sabers while on screen (which they did in the film, just not the way I thought). Something just wouldn't look right if they both had blue blades. Hmm, I'm having a thought about Episode III...better go post over in that forum.

Pendo
10-24-2003, 07:26 AM
I also kinda thought Obi-wan was going to have Qui-gon's saber in AOTC. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe TPM novel) that he did wear Qui-gon's saber for a while. Would have been a nice way to honor his fallen master. It also may have made the scene with Obi-wan and Dooku in the detention room a little more dramatic...something like "I see you carry the weapon of you're master. Qui-gon was a cunning warrior, and a good friend. He always spoke very highly of you..." so on and so forth.

I also just figured that it would be more interesting visually for Obi-wan and Anakin have different colored sabers while on screen (which they did in the film, just not the way I thought). Something just wouldn't look right if they both had blue blades. Hmm, I'm having a thought about Episode III...better go post over in that forum.
When the dvd.starwars.com site first opened there were some Episode II preview images, one of which Obi-Wan carried a green saber. This must have just been an unfinished effect, but I wish it'd been Qui-Gon's :).

PENDO!

El Chuxter
11-20-2003, 02:22 PM
In the novel Rogue Planet, Obi-Wan's using Qui-Gon's saber. Maybe he decided later (possibly after practically all the Jedi Council got their sabers destroyed, or because of Anakin's carelessness with his) that he needed to build a new one and hold onto Qui-Gon's as a souvenir?

Maybe many members of the Council lost their sabers due to overconfidence in their abilities? (Yoda says arrogance is "a trait found all too often in the Jedi" or something like that.)

Thing is, given the current stance that everything is canon, even if the actual story has to be "tweaked" a bit, someone at Dark Horse or one of the other licensees needs to come up with stories about why all these sabers are different, and why suddenly blue, green, and red are the only options. It could be as simple as "blue and green Adegan crystals are more accessible."