PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe DURGE.....a review :D

DarthChuckMc
10-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Welp, I got my case of Clone Wars Multi Pack Asst Wave 3 Rotation 2 '03 today.

Case contains:

(2) Durge with Swoop Bike
(2) Clone Trooper with Speeder Bike
(2) Clone Trooper Army RED

The Clone Trooper Army contains a WHITE Clone Trooper crouching, a WHITE Clone Trooper standing, and a RED Clone Trooper laying.
These are the basic Clone Troopers we've seen already, so I'll skip their review.

The Clone Trooper with Speeder Bike is a neat [for lack of a better word] retooling of the Speeder Bike we've already got 4 of. I'm a little disappointed in a few things though. The missile launcher can't rotate. :frus: Only straight ahead shooting on this one. It's a little hard to snap in place, but once there, it holds well. Another short cut HASBRO took, the small "clasps" that the "flaps" used to have are gone, so the "flaps" just kinda flop. :( The new paint scene makes this one look like it's meant for colder worlds.. not the harsh rusty red that the last one had, more bland like it would fit in a snowscape.

Now, on to Durge.

I like this figure A LOT! Not LOVE, but really LIKE. The paint could be a little better. Some of the detail on his shoulder pads and helmet aren't as bright as they could/should be, but what the hay. Beware, caution. attencion! I foresee a small paint deco change in the near future. According to the prototypes and the figure on the packaging, his forearms should have some flesh painted in. You know, the top of your arm opposite your elbow. :D
Neither of mine have this paint application. Instead, it just the same gray as the rest of his armor.

Articulation is fantastic! His head is ball jointed, so you can get the side to side, up and down action. His shoulders are ball jointed, this is where some of the problem with the paint apps is lost. His elbows swivle and bend, as do his knees. Wrist articulation is also there. There is no waist articulation, instead, HASBRO opted to TORSO articulation. Another ball jointed masterpiece . They also added holsters on each leg to accommodate his pistols that are rubber banded to his hands.

Durge also has a backpack/jetpack. Kind of small, but ok I suppose. There is another gun that I assume he is supposed to be able to hold, but haven't quite figured out how. This gun also has a strap with two little prongs to plug into something????. .haven't figured out where as of yet.

The Swoop is an interesting design. I like it better than Aurra Sing's Swoop from the Bounty Hunter set. It's a little tough to assemble, though. I was afraid the little clips were going to break off, as you have to stretch them apart in order to get them in the holes. Once they're in there, they stay. His jousting pole is cool, but is too flimsy me thinks.

I think I remember reading somewhere in SSG's SDCC coverage, that there will be a running change on the color of his Swoop, too. It's a tad lighter green the the picture, and I think HASBRO said this would be corrected to reflect the packaging color better.

Anywho, there you have it. My review of Wave 3 of the CW Multi Packs.

I got mine at EE, because I'm impatient and had a few extra bucks to spend this month. I'm sure TARGET will get these soon enough.

BTW, anyone have a YELLOW Clone Trooper multi pack on a non-mint card they'd be willing to part with? :D :D :D

Overall, I give this wave a A-. Could have been better with the Clone Trooper's Speeder Bike, Durge's loss of detail, and better Clone poses.

Kidhuman
10-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks DMC. A solid review. I was gonna hold out on Durge, but it sounds like they made himbetter than Ioriginally anticipated.

Dark Marble
10-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the review, I have planned on picking this guy up too. I can't wait to find him. I have been playing a lot of Bounty Hunter on PS2 lately, so I guess I am in my tough guy bounty hunter mode. :evil:

ANEEL
10-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Welp, I got my case of Clone Wars Multi Pack Asst Wave 3 Rotation 2 '03 today.

Case contains:

(2) Durge with Swoop Bike
(2) Clone Trooper with Speeder Bike
(2) Clone Trooper Army RED

The Clone Trooper Army contains a WHITE Clone Trooper crouching, a WHITE Clone Trooper standing, and a RED Clone Trooper laying.
These are the basic Clone Troopers we've seen already, so I'll skip their review.

The Clone Trooper with Speeder Bike is a neat [for lack of a better word] retooling of the Speeder Bike we've already got 4 of. I'm a little disappointed in a few things though. The missile launcher can't rotate. :frus: Only straight ahead shooting on this one. It's a little hard to snap in place, but once there, it holds well. Another short c

ut HASBRO took, the small "clasps" that the "flaps" used to have are gone, so the "flaps" just kinda flop. :( The new paint scene makes this one look like it's meant for colder worlds.. not the harsh rusty red that the last one had, more bland like it would fit in a snowscape.

Now, on to Durge.

I like this figure A LOT! Not LOVE, but really LIKE. The paint could be a little better. Some of the detail on his shoulder pads and helmet aren't as bright as they could/should be, but what the hay. Beware, caution. attencion! I foresee a small paint deco change in the near future. According to the prototypes and the figure on the packaging, his forearms should have some flesh painted in. You know, the top of your arm opposite your elbow. :D
Neither of mine have this paint application. Instead, it just the same gray as the rest of his armor.

Articulation is fantastic! His head is ball jointed, so you can get the side to side, up and down action. His shoulders are ball jointed, this is where some of the problem with the paint apps is lost. His elbows swivle and bend, as do his knees. Wrist articulation is also there. There is no waist articulation, instead, HASBRO opted to TORSO articulation. Another ball jointed masterpiece . They also added holsters on each leg to accommodate his pistols that are rubber banded to his hands.

Durge also has a backpack/jetpack. Kind of small, but ok I suppose. There is another gun that I assume he is supposed to be able to hold, but haven't quite figured out how. This gun also has a strap with two little prongs to plug into something????. .haven't figured out where as of yet.

The Swoop is an interesting design. I like it better than Aurra Sing's Swoop from the Bounty Hunter set. It's a little tough to assemble, though. I was afraid the little clips were going to break off, as you have to stretch them apart in order to get them in the holes. Once they're in there, they stay. His jousting pole is cool, but is too flimsy me thinks.

I think I remember reading somewhere in SSG's SDCC coverage, that there will be a running change on the color of his Swoop, too. It's a tad lighter green the the picture, and I think HASBRO said this would be corrected to reflect the packaging color better.

Anywho, there you have it. My review of Wave 3 of the CW Multi Packs.

I got mine at EE, because I'm impatient and had a few extra bucks to spend this month. I'm sure TARGET will get these soon enough.

BTW, anyone have a YELLOW Clone Trooper multi pack on a non-mint card they'd be willing to part with? :D :D :D

Overall, I give this wave a A-. Could have been better with the Clone Trooper's Speeder Bike, Durge's loss of detail, and better Clone poses.

I HAVE A EXTRA YELLOW , I NEED THE GREEN

kdp100
10-14-2003, 05:47 AM
Clone Trooper with Speeder Bike
Another short cut HASBRO took, the small "clasps" that the "flaps" used to have are gone, so the "flaps" just kinda flop.

Yes, the flaps on the HTF first Saga Clone Speeder bike were the same.

Durge with Swoop Bike
There is another gun that I assume he is supposed to be able to hold, but haven't quite figured out how. This gun also has a strap with two little prongs to plug into something????. .haven't figured out where as of yet.

I think it's supposed to plug into itself - there's a tiny hole on the right of the barrel just above the trigger. The gun can then be fed into the holster on the left-hand side of the swoop by the figure's left knee.

jpak001
10-15-2003, 08:21 PM
I scored Durge w/speeder at Target last night, and I have to agree with your review. This figure is awesome! Excellent detail & articulation. I have to say, so far I'm really digging the clone wars line! :D

But looking at the pic on the back, it seems to me like those unpainted parts on his arms are more of a metallic copper, or bronze color to me.

OC47150
10-16-2003, 04:54 PM
Last week at Target, I had the choice between Durge, clone speeder bike, or red clone trooper three-pack. (Didn't have enough $$$ for all) I picked Durge, and I'm glad I did. He's too cool!

seanmcfripp
10-29-2003, 10:20 PM
I just got my Durge w/ speeder and clone w/ speeder today at TRU. And I must say, Durge is HUGE! I had no idea the figure would be so much bigger than everyone else. Actually kinda cool though. I can just picture him skewering clone troopers with his trident spear and then tossing them off into a pile. I love the design of the speeder too...very cool indeed. I don't think the comic has done the character any justice so far (basically makes him out to be a big-mouthed bad-guy stereotype). But it appears the CW cartoon will portray him as the silent, brooding type, which i think is much cooler.

The clone speeder is pretty sweet too, although I'm not thrilled about the missile launcher. The launcher looks to be a generic firing device that Hasbro recycles in all of their action figure lines. In fact, I think I've seen it used with GI Joe before. Anyway, it just doesn't fit the level of detail for the rest of the bike and is totally out of proportion. But the bike itself looks just fine with out it. I'm using it as a scout bike for the ARC troopers. The little cylinders on the front where the old directional vanes were on the original design make it look as though it's equipped with extra sensor and "reacon" equiptment. I took the legs from a red Clone Trooper captain (of which I have plenty thanx to the KBToys $1.99 sale) and put them on an ARC Trooper. I also found a chino material at a fabric store that matches the ARC trooper "skirt" pretty well and replaced the plastic one. He looks pretty darn good on the bike (the left arm almost looks as though it were sculpted to grip the handle bar) and is posed very naturally as the rider. Now my Commando Gunship is complete with 4 ARC troopers and a scout bike with rider. Now all I need is an ARC captain and I'll be set

OC47150
10-30-2003, 07:21 AM
How about a pic of your new and improved ARC trooper?

JEDIpartner
11-01-2003, 03:35 PM
How different is the "deluxe" Durge compared to the standard release? Does anyone have both of them?

Anakin2121
11-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Is he supposed to hold the trident in his hand, or is there something on the speeder for it to clip on to?

seanmcfripp
11-01-2003, 07:21 PM
How about a pic of your new and improved ARC trooper?

I don't have a digital camera unfortunately. Sorry.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-01-2003, 07:33 PM
Is he supposed to hold the trident in his hand, or is there something on the speeder for it to clip on to?
The lance clips onto the side of the swoop.

This set rules, I highly recomend it.

Anakin2121
11-01-2003, 08:06 PM
The lance clips onto the side of the swoop.

I wish it did.

But it doesn't. It's supposed to go on the right side, yes? Well, the lance has two little pairs of "teeth" that are supposed to clip onto something...but the only things that teeth can fit onto are the guns at the front, and the little wires that Durge's feet would rest on.

mm74md
11-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Yeah, the lance goes on the right blaster on the front and if you didn't notice there is a little holster for his blaster rifle on the left. I can't find any other place for the lance!

Anakin2121
11-02-2003, 10:29 AM
I can't find any other place for the lance!

Me neither. :p

Thanks. :)

OC47150
11-03-2003, 07:27 AM
Are the points of articulation the same between the regular Durge and the deluxe Durge? I've only seen/played with the deluxe Durge and the POA are awesome!

JEDIpartner
11-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Are the points of articulation the same between the regular Durge and the deluxe Durge? I've only seen/played with the deluxe Durge and the POA are awesome!

How different is the "deluxe" Durge compared to the standard release? Does anyone have both of them?
Apparently we were thinking the same thing...

;)

:D

Battle Droid
11-05-2003, 12:35 PM
Deluxe Durge is awesome (my favorite CW figure so far), I found him & the Deluxe Clonetrooper yesterday.

darthzirock
11-06-2003, 12:32 PM

Single-carded Durge has no elbow, wrist, knee, or torso articulation. His head isn't ball-jointed, just the regular cut-joint. He does have the two blaster pistols and the rifle with strap, as well as holsters for the pistols and a chain-and-metal-balls bolo (it looks kinda lame and he can't really hold it very well). Yes, he's a tall, wide-shouldered fellow, ain't he? At least he has the ball-jointed shoulders, too.

So far, I haven't found either the Durge w/ Swoop or the new CW Clone Trooper w/ Speeder Bike at retail.

Lazer Brain
11-06-2003, 04:06 PM
got my durge yesterday at tru, he is a great piece. the size and articulation are A+, and the accessaries are nice. comparing the figure to the pic on the back of the card , makes you want a better paint job, but in all it has great play value.
later

Val Da Car
11-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Found my Durge at K Mart.....wow...get this ...my Durge has the date code stamping on the bottom of the speeder and it matches the packaging date code on the right engine...that is a new one on me.

It is great..in fact I am going to pass over the single carded Durge for the DLX Durge...I think this guy marks the start of the Super Articulation figures (like the upcoming Super Art Trooper due soon). Maybe even a Super Art Stromtrooper...one can wish.

Paul-Kenobi
12-06-2003, 09:51 PM
You know...for some odd resson i canot find the deluxe Durge

I am Durge-less :(

darthzirock
12-06-2003, 11:23 PM
You know...for some odd reason I cannot find the deluxe Durge. I am Durge-less :(

The reason isn't "odd" at all: this figure is red-hot! Everyone wants this guy! And, I finally found a dlx Durge and the new dlx CT w/ rocket-firing Speeder Bike. So, if these things have finally hit North Carolina, you should see them soon. :)

plasticfetish
12-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Found my Durge at K Mart...
I just found one there as well. They had a bunch of DX clones w/ bikes as well. Seems like K-Mart is worth visiting from time to time again.

JediTricks
12-08-2003, 02:15 AM
I've been seeing a lot more Clones w/ bikes than Durges lately, I guess the word HAS gotten out! Kmart is usually good for SW dlx sets, but terrible for almost everything else, that's where I got my Durge and my AOTC dlx Yoda, 3PO, Geonosian winged, and Mace (dlx were on sale too on some of those). Wish I had waited on those AOTC sets though, they're choking my KBs now at $4.99.

Paul-Kenobi
12-08-2003, 01:28 PM
The reason isn't "odd" at all: this figure is red-hot! Everyone wants this guy! And, I finally found a dlx Durge and the new dlx CT w/ rocket-firing Speeder Bike. So, if these things have finally hit North Carolina, you should see them soon. :)

i hope so i missed out on the first clone trooper with speeder bike and i kick my self for that i do not plan on missing durge he is a must have for me!