PDA

View Full Version : What are your 2003 Hasbro Holdouts?

JediTricks
10-05-2003, 06:13 PM
For the past 6 months during the darkest days of SW collecting this year, I started a list of all the figures and toys coming out from Hasbro, and on that list I kept a running tab of which figures I wanted, which I wasn't sure I wanted, and which I knew for sure I didn't want. After putting a few checkmarks against the pieces I found recently, my want list has changed and my holdout list has changed as well.

Whether you've found them yet or not, for many collectors there are some Hasbro SW toys from the 2003 lineup that you are either on the fence about or totally disinterested in getting. What are those items and why?

I'll start with my list of holdouts so far, and reasons why they're on the list: Barris Offee - just not interested Aayla Secura - ditto, and looks kinda flimsy Anakin Skywalker (Secret Ceremony) - I don't like how it looks maybe Han Solo (Hoth Rescue - blue) - seen this one 10 times or more but funky leg pose always holds me back Chewbacca (Mynock Hunt) - too specialized with figure sculpted to accept mask and tank, weapon looks super crappy Padme Amidala (Secert Ceremony) - not interested Darth Maul (Theed Hangar Duel) - already have it from earlier line Princess Leia Organa (Imperial Captive) - ditto maybe Han Solo (Flight to Alderaan) - ditto, although if the head looks different enough, it might catch my interest maybe Hailfire Droid - heard it doesn't roll too well, already have Lego version all Clone Wars figures - don't like the concept of either regular or animated CW figures, does nothing at all for me TRU 4packs - often tempted, but $20 for figures I already have and 1 new accessory is hard to swallow Screen Scenes - not interesting to me, kinda small for the money and I'm not interested in the scenes they're portraying Jedi Master Points auctions - insulting, lame program that can only reward a handful of collectorsSo there you have my 2003 holdout list, what's yours and why?

amidalak
10-05-2003, 09:16 PM
hold outs: none, i'm in kebco's one of every fig club, but there is only one fig that i would have passed on anyway, throne room luke! terrible, the worst figure hasbro has ever produced imo. worse than monkey face leia and her super buff counterparts, worse than anything that i could possibly imagine.

jeditricks, maybe give SC ani another chance, it's my favorite ani they have made yet, no stupid gimmicks, decent articulation (ankles, but not knees, don't know what happened there), and the best face sculpt so far with a little scowl, but not constipation.

Jaff
10-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Holdouts: All Clone Wars stuff. I just want movie material stuff, there is just too much to get if you get involved in Eu stuff if you ask me. I also skipped on all of the repack figures: Han, Maul, 3PO, etc..., also passed on all deluxe figs except the Spider Droid.

2003 stuff skipped so far: All the Clone Wars stuff (EU material just does not interest me, I doubt it ever will), all repack figures like 3PO, Han, etc...(I already have them, but it is cool they are releasing them for new collectors.), all deluxe figs except the Spider Droid, Count Dooku with lightning (just another statue of a made figure). Obi-Wan Acklay (do I need to explain why?), Mace Windu Latch sticking out his back (why is he screaming like a mad man - I thought he had a shaft expression throughout the battle?), R2-D2 Droid Factory Flight (I don't need christmas ornaments, maybe around christmas! :D ), Luke/Darth Throne Room (Luke is terrible, and Darth is really not a great paint, or sculpt. It's just another statue). I also passed on the new TIE fighter (just another retool), and all of the clone war three packs. The only three pack I really regret not getting were the clone troopers. Man I wish I had bought the three different colors I had found! Passed on the Ultimate Bounty 4 pack (just more rehash, the bike was not in the movie - I will regret this decision if her bike is in Episode 3 but I'm betting we will not see that), A-Wing with pilot (why get a green A-Wing with a repainted pilot for $29!)

Things I wasn't going to get then broke down for no reason but to get something new: Chewbacca Mynock Hunt (bought him while hunting for Wat Tambor for no reason at all. I'm not impressed at all. He can't stand, and he is stuck in his non-neutral pose. Thank god I have figure stands), Snowtrooper (I wanted this fig bad, when I saw it he was in a disco pose. My wife and brother in law saw that I kept clinging to the fig to decide if I wanted to buy it, and just bought it for me whether I wanted it or not. The truth is the older version is much better at least you can stand him at attention. Without the Tri-pod cannon he looks stupid, unless you pose hime {with a stand} running :frus: )

Things I wasn't going to get but was very grateful after I got them: Boba Fett: Pit of Carkoon (I didn't need another Fett, but this one really is the best sculpt, the flame spew is fodder though), Emperor Palpatine (I just love this figure despite his arthritis hands. He is really dismal looking)

Things I won't get that's going to be released in the future: Any EU, or unleashed sculpted figures. However besides the Clone war stuff it looks like I'll be buying everything on the upcoming lists. The announced stuff is exciting!

As for figures that I bought that dissapoint me: Barris and Aalya (just statues), Anakin Secret Ceremony (It may be the best Ani to date, but he still lacks the neutral pose with his cape flying around to be part of any secret ceremony), Han Hoth (If it wasn't for the leg pose he would have been one of the best figs ever made), WA-7 (Wheel falling off, tray unable to keep on her hand without taping it. If you don't demand quality this is the fig for you).

Now that I've been cynical let me praise: Danyl Faytoni, the screen scenes, the youngling jedi, the tuskin raider, and the Wat Tambor wave. Wow hasbro, when you make up your mind to make something good you are on fire!!!!

darthzirock
10-06-2003, 02:54 AM
Honestly, the only things I've held back on were the Clone Wars 3-packs. I'm not interested nor impressed by the Clone Troopers, Battle Droids, or Battle Launcher. I'd like to get the Jedi Army 3-pack, but I've never, ever seen it at retail. Also, I'm not into the vehicles, except Speeder Bikes, because they're relatively small and come with new figures.

Of the regular Saga stuff, I plan on getting at least one of everything, even the stuff I think is inferior. I just hate The Emperor, but I'd get another one -- if I could ever find one! -- just to do an improved custom.

Of the stuff you other collectors have criticized, I feel compelled to defend Aayla Secura. I have 3 of these that I've removed from the package (2 are still on the cards), and only one has a slight flaw at the thigh-cut in the left leg that leaves a visible gap. Otherwise, this figure is really pretty nice! I have one displayed holding her lightsaber with both hands, and the other holding the saber in her right hand and the Force lightning on her left hand. (Yes, I know Jedi don't use Force lightning, but it still looks pretty cool. :D ) I've had no trouble getting them to stand up off the base, which was my biggest fear (and is the biggest problem with Barris Offee). Now, if you want to pose her in the standing kick that the thigh-cut in her left leg is intended for, then you will probably be forced to use the base included with her, as a standard figure stand might not be heavy enough. Also, I do imagine that, over time, her right ankle will start to warp if you leave her in the kick position. Heck, my Justice League Wonder Woman started to warp after just a week on her base, and all she does is stand there like a statue at attention! :confused: I will probably use the Aayla with the gap in her thigh as custom-fodder: maybe Clone Wars Aayla could use some body armor that will hide that gap? :p Also, I like the way the comics have given Aayla purple lips instead of bright-red hooker lips, so I'll probably give my custom a cosmetic make-over, too.

Boba Fetish
10-06-2003, 05:52 AM
I kinda like all the new stuff. The only stuff I am not getting are the repacks like Maul and Luke. I really like the saga waves that have come out and I am looking forward to the next wave of Clone Wars figures with Asajj Ventress and I am extremely excited about the line up for 2004. Elom and J'Quille have been on my want list for years. :cool:

Kidhuman
10-06-2003, 11:45 AM
I havent seen enough of the figures to hold out on. I have past on the RebelTrooper though. WIll pass on the other repacks too.

jjreason
10-06-2003, 05:07 PM
I won't be getting the "animated" style figures (or should I say I won't be keeping them. Kebco will likely send them as I too am in the one of each club).

I won't be getting the repacks save Maul and Vader because I never found the MODS 2 pack. I was grateful these were chosen for repackaging.

Many of the vehicles I've opted out of (TIE with pilot I have already, Ani's fighter, Hailfire droid, AAT Droid Tank, etc). The only ones I do get will be the ones coming with figures I don't have (speeder bikes, A wing, Geo fighter).

Im "holding out" on getting more Clone Trooper 3 packs until I see which one I do get from Kebco. I may ask for the other colours if I like the one I get - but that is definitely wait and see right now.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
10-06-2003, 05:46 PM
I've holding out on the entire '03 Saga line. They're just now hitting my local stores, so the fact of their lateness has totally made me disinterested in buying them.

JediTricks
10-06-2003, 09:54 PM
amidalak, on SC Ani, I dunno, the robe is so big and unwieldy-looking that I just can't see how it'd fit in my collection. The hand doesn't look right either. I'll give it another eyeball next time I pass by one tho'.

Jaff, I forgot about the TIE Fighter, repack 3PO, Target A-wing, and the deluxe SBD builder wave, I passed on those as well. Oh, and all of Unleashed as well.

Also, Total Control Mace isn't screaming, he's smiling like a sick idiot.

As for things that weren't on my list but I caved and bought anyway, I've got a bunch of those:
- Padme Factory
- R2 Factory
- Obi-Wan Acklay
- Luke ROTJ wave
- Dooku 2
And I totally agree with you on the Snowtrooper, they didn't do this one justice at all here, I think it's supposed to be the Snowtrooper commander which explains the chest armor change, upside-down shoulder armor, holster, and missing kneepads, but they botched the helmet-skirt.

thespar
10-06-2003, 10:44 PM
I will not be getting the Jango Fett repack or any of the repack for the potj line and more than liking i am skipping the target exec clone wars anime figures.

Jaff
10-06-2003, 10:55 PM
amidalak, on SC Ani, I dunno, the robe is so big and unwieldy-looking that I just can't see how it'd fit in my collection. The hand doesn't look right either. I'll give it another eyeball next time I pass by one tho'.

Jaff, I forgot about the TIE Fighter, repack 3PO, Target A-wing, and the deluxe SBD builder wave, I passed on those as well. Oh, and all of Unleashed as well.

Also, Total Control Mace isn't screaming, he's smiling like a sick idiot.

As for things that weren't on my list but I caved and bought anyway, I've got a bunch of those:
- Padme Factory
- R2 Factory
- Obi-Wan Acklay
- Luke ROTJ wave
- Dooku 2
And I totally agree with you on the Snowtrooper, they didn't do this one justice at all here, I think it's supposed to be the Snowtrooper commander which explains the chest armor change, upside-down shoulder armor, holster, and missing kneepads, but they botched the helmet-skirt.

The Padme factory I really like, but I do agree with you that the Unleashed stuff was something to pass on too!

Boba Fetish
10-07-2003, 03:36 AM
Oops, I forgot to add that I am not getting the animated figures. Don't get me wrong; I think they look great, but if I collect these something will nag me to try to collect the Ewoks and Droids line too. If I start down that dark path forever will it dominate my destiny; consume me it will. I'll be playing with my figures in the gutter 'cause that'll be where I'll live after going broke to afford some of these vintage figs. :D

BoShek
10-07-2003, 07:55 PM
Only figures I have already (like Lukes and Hans etc).

I will buy anything I can find otherwise.

Jargo
10-07-2003, 08:39 PM
Seen everything somewhere or other online at good prices but I've passed on most of it. Too much to list. Luckily I've had LOTR and Muppets to amuse my collecting whim. This last quarter looks reasonably interesting but I'm still not sure it's interesting enough to lure me back into collecting again. Perhaps the odd piece here and there. Next year has promise but I won't hold my breath. 2002 and 2003 have been disappointing. very.

TheDarthVader
10-07-2003, 10:46 PM
The only unleashed I have bought have been Vaders. I own both variants...luckily. The 2003 figures I have held-out on are below. The only reason is that I can't find them!!! I don't believe I will buy the repacks except for the Vader (clash) and Maul (theed).

-Barriss Offee
-Imperial Officer brown hair
-Aayla Secura
-Yoda and Chian
-Ashla and Jempa
-Padme wedding dress
-Coleman Trebor

Turbowars
10-07-2003, 11:33 PM
I have passed on most crap @ssed deluxe packs, and the EP2 12". I'm a sucker and bought the CW Yoda and Annie, I missed the ARC. I told myself I wasn't going to go there, but I did. I had more will power back in 96. I passed on the EU and SOTE crap.

fishyfett
10-08-2003, 02:50 AM
I've seen all the new stuff and bought a lot of the figures some of you despise. Well, as long as it's not a rehash or a stupid version, I'll buy it. But some of these I just looked and rolled my eyes away.

Deluxe Destroyer Droid and silly roller. Just plain worthless.
Battledroid 3-pack. No leg articulation, silly poses, cheap plastic.
All the re-issued Hans, Leias, Mauls, Jangos, Vaders and Luke. Unnecessary.
Re-issued ships like the Gunship, Jedi Fighter, TIE Fighter, etc. Unnecessary.
Any Unleashed crap, except that sultry Slave Leia. Moooowwwrrrrr!!!!
Any non-action figure related crap, such as lightsabers, customes, games or Legos.
Oh, and please, Hasbro, give the next Mace a reality face. Screaming or smiling about it won't help give Mace a realistic facial expression. Unless he wants ice cream. And most definitely, absolutely, w/ finality, won't and will not, be buying the nasty looking CW animated figures. No, sir. Not for me. The last animated line I collected was Batman back in the 94.

Hopefully, things will be better next year. No more gimmicks and constipated looks.

Turbowars
10-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Hopefully, things will be better next year. No more gimmicks and constipated looks. I was reading a SW book last night about the making on the films and toy line and do you guys remember the old micro line? The vintage one? Well it failed just like the new one and you know what the Head of Kenner said about why the line failed? He said kids just don't like action/pre-posed action figures. Now Hasbro I know it's been awhile, but is it not good to learn by your mistakes?:eek: Leave the gimmicks and pre-posed for your Batman line.

JediTricks
10-09-2003, 09:55 PM
amidalak, I took your advice and picked up SC Ani yesterday (nothing new at the store, so I settled ;)). It's ok, better than I expected, but still kinda annoying. The head sculpt doesn't look anything like Hayden, the hair looks super weird, and the braid is very odd; it is somewhat better than the others, but still doesn't look right. The arms are ok except the right elbow is pretty gappy; but the legs really bother me. The ankles would be good if they had TRIED to recess the feet into cups at the bottom of the legs, but instead they didn't hide it at all so they're these tiny pegs between the feet and legs. Also, the lack of knee articulation wouldn't be so bad except the hip articulation is pretty crappy; if this had been ball-jointed under the skirt and the skirt was more pliable, this would be a MUCH better figure - as it is now, there's not as much range of motion as there should be.

The robe really bothers me, I immediately threw it in the junk saga accessories pile. It billows out to one side, it hangs off the front by 2 tiny bands, and it just generally looks crummy. If Hasbro had gone with a robe at rest, this would have come off 100% better.

Oh, and it is with great glee that I say that Hasbro has lost their license to make Batman toys. :D

Devo
10-10-2003, 04:24 PM
I found anakin secret ceremony today myself. I think its pretty crap. And I agree on all JediTricks' points about the figure. Head-crap...i don't have it within my sight right now but does it have a double chin? poor likeness, laughable hair, eyes look petrified(marrying Natalie portman?suddenly afraid of commitment?) Legs-spread apart too much like Han Hoth(they'll never get that one right) Cape- I don't recall there being any wind or kinetic forces of any kind during the wedding scene on which this figure is supposedly(by name and by the machine arm) based. Why is it billowing?

As for figures I've passed on: R2 D2. Someone else here put it best, its a goddamned christmas ornament.
I'll also pass on all clone wars figs with possible exception of the 3 packs. Animated figs won't interest me nor does any EU figs. Still can't believe a fan choice was wasted on a poxy concept design fig.

TheDarthVader
10-10-2003, 06:23 PM
I got lucky today and found the following:

aayla secura
barriss offee
yoda and chian
coleman trebor
padme wedding

my new hold-outs or things i can not find are:
ashla and jempa
maul repack (i missed the first one)
vader death star clash

I have held out on three packs, clone wars,all vehicles, most unleashed (except vader, sidious), all 12" (except the yoda I am still looking for and anakin (w. 2 lightsabers) (dont ask me why i bought it...i like removeable arm figures--bad head sculpt), and most any other toy besides figures or screen scenes.

JediTricks
10-11-2003, 12:41 AM
Oh, another thing I don't like about SC Ani is that he's a friggin' giant! I put him near my Mace Total Control figure and Mace looks like a little kid next to this guy! Weep for my Saga Luke ROTJ that's about half a foot away! All the other figures in Ani's vicinity appear to be in a smaller scale or something.

Oh, and I caved in and took the TIE Fighter off my holdout list since it was $9 off. Even saving the nine bucks, I now feel a little like a sucker on this purchase.

plasticfetish
10-30-2003, 03:35 AM
Was thinking about this thread when I opened the Barriss Offee figure that I bought today. Wish that it was still on my holdout list.

Currently holding out on ...
Anakin Skywalker (Secret Ceremony) - This one should have simply been a neutral figure. I don't like the cape or either of the hands really. The articulated ankles look weird to me also.
C-3PO (Tatooine Ambush) - Don't need another one.
Darth Maul (Theed Hangar Duel) - See comments about "Darth Vader (Death Star Clash)" below.
Emperor, The (Throne Room) - Ugly, and not in an appropriate way. I can't stand the hood.
Han Solo (Flight to Alderaan) - You know, I passed on this one first time around and wouldn't mind buying one now, but it seems to be made so cheaply. Every one that I've seen has bent and super flimsy looking legs. I'm just assuming that they're not as good as the original version.
Lama Su with Clone Youth - There's been something wrong with the paint job on every one of these that I've seen.
Luke Skywalker (Tatooine Encounter) - Don't need this.
Luke Skywalker (Throne Room Duel) - What a mess!
Mace Windu (Arena Confrontation) - What another mess.
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Acklay Battle) - "With Spear-Stabbing Action!"
Padmé Amidala (Droid Factory Chase) - Lame face and cloak. If/when it goes on clearance I may get one.
Padmé Amidala (Secret Ceremony) - The female impersonator that modeled for this figure looks nothing like Natalie Portman. Pizza dough hat! As well, if I don't like Secret Ceremony Anakin ... then there's no chance that I'll buy this one to have standing there all alone holding that green thing.
Princess Leia Organa (Imperial Captive) - Don't need.
R2-D2 (Droid Factory Flight) - Sheesh!
Snowtrooper (The Battle of Hoth) - Simply wrong.

Should have held out on ...
Barriss Offee (Luminara Unduli's Padawan) - I can't believe I finally caved in and bought this one. The hood/cloak is crazy! It's massive and very difficult to remove, unless you don't mind the figure's head coming off with it. There's ZERO articulation to the legs. AND ... you know, I've seen this character on the "big screen" and frankly I don't remember her having the kind of extremely exaggerated ... errr ... chest that this figure has. The feet don't work with the stand very well either. Grrr.
Darth Vader (Death Star Clash) - Very cheaply made. It's wobbly and I'm having a hard time believing that the original was this bad. After this one, I'm pretty sure that I'll pass on all of the re-released figures like it.
Darth Vader (Throne Room Duel) - Such a bummer. (Darth Bummer.)

fishyfett
10-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Was thinking about this thread when I opened the Barriss Offee figure that I bought today. Wish that it was still on my holdout list.

Anakin Skywalker (Secret Ceremony) - This one should have simply been a neutral figure. I don't like the cape or either of the hands really. The articulated ankles look weird to me also.
C-3PO (Tatooine Ambush) - Don't need another one.
Darth Maul (Theed Hangar Duel) - See comments about "Darth Vader (Death Star Clash)" below.
Emperor, The (Throne Room) - Ugly, and not in an appropriate way. I can't stand the hood.
Han Solo (Flight to Alderaan) - You know, I passed on this one first time around and wouldn't mind buying one now, but it seems to be made so cheaply. Every one that I've seen has bent and super flimsy looking legs. I'm just assuming that they're not as good as the original version.
Lama Su with Clone Youth - There's been something wrong with the paint job on every one of these that I've seen.
Luke Skywalker (Tatooine Encounter) - Don't need this.
Luke Skywalker (Throne Room Duel) - What a mess!
Mace Windu (Arena Confrontation) - What another mess.
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Acklay Battle) - "With Spear-Stabbing Action!"
Padmé Amidala (Droid Factory Chase) - Lame face and cloak. If/when it goes on clearance I may get one.
Padmé Amidala (Secret Ceremony) - The female impersonator that modeled for this figure looks nothing like Natalie Portman. Pizza dough hat! As well, if I don't like Secret Ceremony Anakin ... then there's no chance that I'll buy this one to have standing there all alone holding that green thing.
Princess Leia Organa (Imperial Captive) - Don't need.
R2-D2 (Droid Factory Flight) - Sheesh!
Snowtrooper (The Battle of Hoth) - Simply wrong.

Should have held out on ...
Barriss Offee (Luminara Unduli's Padawan) - I can't believe I finally caved in and bought this one. The hood/cloak is crazy! It's massive and very difficult to remove, unless you don't mind the figure's head coming off with it. There's ZERO articulation to the legs. AND ... you know, I've seen this character on the "big screen" and frankly I don't remember her having the kind of extremely exaggerated ... errr ... chest that this figure has. The feet don't work with the stand very well either. Grrr.
Darth Vader (Death Star Clash) - Very cheaply made. It's wobbly and I'm having a hard time believing that the original was this bad. After this one, I'm pretty sure that I'll pass on all of the re-released figures like it.
Darth Vader (Throne Room Duel) - Such a bummer. (Darth Bummer.) Man, and I got both Throne Room Vader and Luke and the new Emperor. Where's all my receipts???!!! Time to return these to Target. If hold-outs mean figures you refuse to buy, then my list will include all the sorry rehashes that were released under the AOTC banner. Han Solo, Leia, C-3PO, Vader, all get a big yawn from me. At least, the Emperor is a new sculpt, albeit an ugly one, though. And since I got Broccoli Padme already, I'm hoping Hasbro will fix the SC Ani so their wedding can be finalized. Action pose while getting married?? Yeah, baby, I can't wait for our honeymoon!!! The Force is building up inside me.
Disco Stu-trooper, eh, I can live with it. But X-mas ornament R2 can just hang on the pegs. :o

JediTricks
10-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Was thinking about this thread when I opened the Barriss Offee figure that I bought today. Wish that it was still on my holdout list.Ouch! I guess you can chalk that one up to "taking one for the team". ;)

Anakin Skywalker (Secret Ceremony) - This one should have simply been a neutral figure. I don't like the cape or either of the hands really. The articulated ankles look weird to me also.The one thing that's cool about the ankles is they're not all loosey-goosey, they feel like they'll hold up tight for the long run.

Lama Su with Clone Youth - There's been something wrong with the paint job on every one of these that I've seen. How so?

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Acklay Battle) - "With Spear-Stabbing Action!"I wish that one had stayed on my list, it was the first 2003 Saga figure I ever saw (found it in JULY!!! how lame is that?) and even then it was a struggle to convince myself to buy.

Fishyfett, the holdouts are indeed the ones you refuse to buy.

plasticfetish
10-30-2003, 09:33 PM
How so?
Just weird smudges or oddly painted details ... looks rushed. I'm still looking for a good one and I'll probably find one sooner or later, but I'm in no huge hurry.

No doubt, if my holdouts end up going on clearance eventually, I'll pick them up. That's pretty much why I have most of the '02 figures that I wasn't in a big hurry to buy either.