PDA

View Full Version : MIB collectors, what about batteries?

jedi-cpa
10-06-2003, 03:41 PM
Question...in certain toys such as the AT AT and royal starship...there is a battery...have otehrs openned them to take them out so that leakage doesn't occur?

Also, what about the FX figs and the Light up Maul and Qui gonn? I openned my FX ones for fear of bettery leakage...help...what do others do?

plo koon 200
10-06-2003, 04:04 PM
I just pray they don't ever leak. But I know sooner or later it is inevitable.

bobafrett
10-06-2003, 04:10 PM
I worried about that too. I recently looked into the bottom of my Darth Vader and C-3PO&R2 banks and found leaking batteries. I had both of them open though. I thought about the toys that I have still in the box, and about the ones like the 12" talking Vader. I asked about this before and someone told me to cut the take, take out the batteries, and put the figure back in the box and seal it back up.

Exhaust Port
10-06-2003, 04:23 PM
How long did you have your banks before they started leaking?

James Boba Fettfield
10-06-2003, 04:23 PM
If you want to keep the package and the toy, that's what you'll need to do.

Vehicles and things that come in boxes are pretty easy to remove the batteries from. The harder things to get the batteries out of are things that are on cards. This is a bit tricky, but I've seen it done before. My dad was a big collector of the Jurassic Park line, and they made two electronic toys of a raptor and the dilophosaurus (I hope I spelled that right...) and they came with batteries. The tricky part was trying to get the toys off of their card and remove them from the bubble without causing a lot of damage to the card. Well, the exacto knife made that part easy, IIRC, my dad cut a certain part of the bubble from the card, so that it was still attached but the figure could be removed. He took out the dinos, removed their batteries, slid them back in the bubbles and attached the bubble back to the card. Now here's where memory gets a bit foggy, I'm not sure what glue he used to put the bubble back on the card. Was it a glue stick...Elmer's white glue, I don't remember. But, he was able to attach the bubble and it looked like the figure was never removed from the card. You know, what can it hurt to try? I mean, leaving the batteries in there aren't going to make your toys safer and last longer, so there's no harm in trying to see if you can do the same thing.

Kidhuman
10-06-2003, 05:58 PM
You know, I have never thought about that. Gonna have to do that

Exhaust Port
10-06-2003, 06:25 PM
I'm really thinking about taking all the batteries out of my World of Springfield playsets just to be on the safe side. Ugh, that's a lot of playsets. :(

bobafrett
10-07-2003, 12:57 AM
How long did you have your banks before they started leaking?

I don't know, I bought them when they first came out, but for the life of me, I can't remember the year. I found they were leaking last year when I opened them up to put new batteries in since they (the banks) weren't working.

Exhaust Port
10-07-2003, 04:31 AM
Most of the battery operated figure/playsets I have come with the extremely cheaply made off-brand battery. I'm sure that has to be a factor in how quickly a battery starts to leak. Throwing in a set of Energizer or Duracell would probably save off the leaking.

jedi-cpa
10-07-2003, 07:34 AM
I really don't want to do the ones in the cards though...especially the Chewbacca with light up c-3po parts, there's a battery in there, I'm sure I'll have to open it...what I might do is buy two, and see if one leaks and open and reseal the other.

Exhaust Port
10-07-2003, 04:11 PM
How about lithium versus alkaline? Alkaline are prone to leaking in my experience but what about the smaller lithium batteries? I don't think I've ever found one of those that has leaked.

plo koon 200
10-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Good question. And what toys have lithium and what toys have alkaline batteries.

kool-aid killer
10-07-2003, 08:39 PM
Ive taken the batteries out of my Royal Starship but have yet to do it to my AT-AT. Heres another question for MOMC collectors, what do you do if you find a figure (lets say hes short packed and hard to find) and his card is bent, creased, dinged etc? Do you pick him up anyways because you may not get another chance or do you skip him and hope you see him again one day?

James Boba Fettfield
10-07-2003, 08:57 PM
It's better to have a dented up carded figure than no figure at all.

plo koon 200
10-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Like James Boba Fettfield said. It is better to have a dinged card than no figure. I have plenty of dinged cards. I buy them in the best condition possible.

jedi-cpa
10-08-2003, 07:25 AM
Ive taken the batteries out of my Royal Starship but have yet to do it to my AT-AT. Heres another question for MOMC collectors, what do you do if you find a figure (lets say hes short packed and hard to find) and his card is bent, creased, dinged etc? Do you pick him up anyways because you may not get another chance or do you skip him and hope you see him again one day?

Packaging condition has never really driven me crazy...don't get me wrong, I will put one back to get one without a crease, but if there is only one...my pit droids moc is in horrible shape, but I have it. And tacked up on the wall with all the rest...looks good to me.