PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Hasbro's Jedi Points Auctions?

Tycho
10-07-2003, 02:39 AM
Well items up for auction include:

a 12 inch Ultimate Jango Fett

the never-released in the United States Kitik Keed Kak

Jorg Sacul

a Toy Fair Vader if I recall right.

I think maybe they had an Action Fleet item.

Are you guys going to bid on these items?

What would you like to see them offer?

How long is it taking you to cut out all those Jedi Master Points?

Are you regretting "damaging" your cardbacks?

Have you worn out your scissors or got yourself some carpel tunnel syndrome?

Tell us what you think now that Hasbro's started their Jedi Master Points Auctions.

Jedi Tech
10-07-2003, 03:06 AM
I'm not going to bid on anything; I'll keep my points or give them away to someone who needs them more than I do. This is a waste of time IMO; they should have the good old mail away figures like they did back in the day. Many of us have spent thousands of dollars on merchandise throughout the years and I only think it's fair to give something back to the people who make their company thrive. Whatís not fair is holding auctions for the select few who have tons of points compared to the average collector. I have close to two thousand points, it should be enough for two or three figures in my books, not the one they have now that should have been offered to the mass public in some sort of way.

plo koon 200
10-07-2003, 08:56 AM
My vote was that this was really bad. I have already elaborated on the reasons why extenisvely on other threads dealing with this subject matter.

Kidhuman
10-07-2003, 10:28 AM
I voted totally against it. They excluded a huge margin of fan base. Not the MOC collectors but Canada and overseas. If it was just the MOC collectors, so be it. BUt many people on this board got the shaft. Expand it to other regions and it would be fine. Ifigured I wouldnt be able to bid on anything since I dont have any available points, so it dont bother me. But Jargo, JJ, Pendo and many other collectors got shafted hard. If they change it then fine.

bobafrett
10-07-2003, 03:28 PM
I'll save my 600 or so JMP's, since I can't realistically bid on anything unless they have a .05 cent plastic Darth Vader ring. I totally dislike this concept, and I've written to Hasbro stating so.

sunblind
10-07-2003, 04:12 PM
OK. This idea is really bad. I cut out all my 810 points and signed on to find the auctions were going for like 10 million bizzlon more points than I have......ummmm........(trash bin clink sound effect, as a bunch of cut-outs swoosh in inner bottom of a trash can).

JEDIpartner
10-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Even with the number of points I have in my possession... I still haven't enough to make an impact in the auction. *sigh*

plo koon 200
10-07-2003, 04:50 PM
How many do you have JediPartner?

sloftus
10-07-2003, 04:55 PM
(1) Totally devalues your figures

(2) You have to use all of your JMP on one auction,
then they are gone forever!

(3) Hasbro should auction items off for money not points,
even though it finally gives us something to do with them.

skeeziks22
10-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Sounds like most people agree. I was initially excited about the auction idea, but had no clue that some would get up over 1000 points... let alone 10's of thousands. I only checked them once and was disgusted and have never looked again.

With the old proofs of purchase everyone had an equal chance to get an item for free. You didn't have to compete with anyone to win one item. Now even if you take the time to cut up all your packages, there is no guarantee that you get anything. Kids who open there items probably have the most points (that is if they kept them), but will easily get aced out by the few open figure collectors who have the money to go out right now and clear out KB toys of their $1.99 figures to build up their JMP's.

I suggest making the "fan's choice" figures mail away items redeemable with JMP's... I'd be happy then (would finally see an Ephant Mon)

joe-da
10-07-2003, 05:09 PM
Mesa no liken dissen jeedai masta ponts auc-e-shun.

I have thousands of points myself, but there's no way even I can compete with folks pooling their points for figures that'll end up on ebay.

All I want is a Kitik Keed'kak... Couldn't I send in 4,000 or so points and $10 and get one? I should be able to.

I don't care so much about JORG Sacul, since it's an EU figure, but I think others should be able to buy them and send in points.
And if I could just send in points and a little $, I'd probably get a JORG Sacul just for the foof of it.

I just don't care for the "auction."

And I want a frickin' Kitik Keed'kak. (which should have been in the Wave 1 Cantina sets, by the way... as many others have said, they should have been NEW characters and they would have sold - I bought wave one just for the foof of it even though I didn't need them.. But I'd have bought multiples of new ones.)

Jordashebasics
10-07-2003, 05:30 PM
I have around 2000 points. I'd like to use them in this auction way, although I think we need to have plenty more items.
If there were plenty of items to go around, then there's a good chance that the bids would be lower.
I saw the brief time where the bid for the cantina set was up around 59 billion points. Even at the level they're at now is pretty silly.
Suppose you get 10 points for a dollar. Just move every auction price down by one place.
As of right now - that's
1,340 dollars for a Jorg Sacul
800 dollars for a 12 inch Jango
1,740 dollars for the cantina set
and 400 dollars for the playskool set.

Look the items up on ebay.
I just checked, Jorg is going for $10 on one of the auctions. They typically range up to $50.
I can understand the craze for the cantina set - I've wanted it since I saw pictures. But Hasbro really hasn't thought this through too well.
While I don't feel that I deserve something for my jedi master points - if there's a use for them, it should be available to everyone who has put some effort into saving them.
I'd even be interested in just bidding on a basic figure, as long as it's one I don't have.

Dcfett
10-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Has anyone stoped to think that the whole thing is being inflated by those who would sabatage it? I just dont see how one could have so many points.

Bacta Beast
10-07-2003, 06:25 PM
OK, I voted "dislike the concept" but that's not what I mean. I don't have a problem with the concept, it's the fact that it looks like dealers with an excessive amount of points at their dispossal are able to bid outrageous amount on this stuff !!! C'mon have you seen how much these things are going for ?!!! It's nut !!!! I have a fairly gross amount of points myself, but I can't touch that level !! I hope these jokers run out of points before Hasbro runs out of stuff, (like Kitik Keed'kak') Maybe it's not dealers but it wouldn't surprise me.

mastermatt24
10-07-2003, 06:42 PM
This is an horribly thought out auction. As said before, a mail in would work much better. I have no idea how these people have so many points...(over 45,000). I think hasbro should have items posted and then you could just purchase them w/ points. Hasbro is being VERY greedy about this. Im sure they have many wharhouses full of stuff. I am very disapointed and I whish they wouldve thought this out better; and they shoud release more clone multi-packs.

Bacta Beast
10-07-2003, 06:58 PM
This is an horribly thought out auction. As said before, a mail in would work much better. I have no idea how these people have so many points...(over 45,000). I think hasbro should have items posted and then you could just purchase them w/ points. Hasbro is being VERY greedy about this. Im sure they have many wharhouses full of stuff. I am very disapointed and I whish they wouldve thought this out better; and they shoud release more clone multi-packs.

I have a hard time thinking of it as Hasbro being greedy, if all they cared about was making money all they'd have to is put the things we want out there, and we would show up with the money! No, they're just stupid! I can't believe that with over 8000 points, I still can't get anything I want!!! I sick of exclusives, I'm sick of having to shop online!

Jawa Pinocchio
10-07-2003, 06:58 PM
I think it's an *** backwards auction that leaves a larger amount of Star Wars fans unable to participate due to unreasonable JMP being bided on a few auction items by a few mega collectors/dealer. Hasbro has really dropped the ball with this auction, had they wanted to try out an auction type program they should have done it with the Gi-Joe line. Star Wars fans deserve a mail in offer system or an online catalog program so all collectors have an ability to use the JMP.

jedihunter25
10-07-2003, 07:00 PM
I also voted "dislike the concept". I think I collect more than the average collector and I also build armies and buy extras for dioramas- after spending three days of cutting out JMPs I came up with 7,260 JMPs. Before the auction started I was maybe thinking of cutting out the JMPs on my 12" collection that I keep in the boxes- NOW I'M GLAD I DIDN'T. I was hopeing to get Kitik or a Toyfair Vader in an upcoming auction, but even with 7,260 JMPs I can't see it happening. I think I have a better chance selling them on Ebay. I also think that this auction is totally unfair to those that arn't mega collectors and only having 1 or a few of a particular item is uncalled for. They should just do a mailaway like good o'l Kenner used to.

LusiferSam
10-07-2003, 07:33 PM
I could care less. Personal I would like a Kitik, but there's no way I'm going to cut into my cards or boxes to get the points (I'm a loose collector who keeps the cards). Overall I'm indifferent to the whole idea.

DarthAnalyst
10-07-2003, 08:47 PM
I voted, "I really like them and plan to bid."

Personally, I'm glad Hasbro decided to do anything with them. With all the points out there (legitimate #s, not the bazillions we originally saw), I think there was little Hasbro could have done to honor the points without losing a fortune giving away toys (they are a corporation, after all).

I'm obviously in the minority, but I think the fact Hasbro set something up, shows that the listened to the collectors that asked, "What can we get for JMPs?" every time they gave a Q&A. Sure, I wish that I had enough points for a Jorge Sacul (I've bought and opened a lot of toys and have 6,000), but the fact that someone else bought and opened a helluva lot more toys isn't Hasbro's fault.

In the meantime, the auctions are running for a while, so I imagine that some of the 'big fish' out there are going to use up their points, and the rest of us will be able to get something.

For anyone wondering, I don't work for Hasbro, and (to my knowledge) they don't have any 'props' for points program. :crazed:

thespar
10-07-2003, 10:15 PM
I just count up the amount that i have and came of with between 2840 - 2990.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Even with the number of points I have in my possession... I still haven't enough to make an impact in the auction. *sigh*

Yes, I too fall into this camp. I feel like a voter for Ralph Nader in 2000. :(

Tiger
10-07-2003, 11:46 PM

It never fails to amaze me at how much Hasbro "Doesn't" care about us as collectors! I've been putting up with this for so long now its like a broken record. Now its this new auction idea. Let's see...... We can start off the 1st one by having only 4 items, yeah and lets have a kitik keed kak. Lets only make one and have it on the auction. The fans that buy our merchandise have only been wanting the new cantina sets for a year or more now, making only 1 kitik shouldn't upset them too bad. It's dumb idea's like this that make me almost wish another company had the license. Then to top it off they make the bidding points so high its crazy. They are never gonna give me all of the figures from the vintage line so I can complete my collection either. Thanks again Hasbro once again for the total lack of care or concern for the true collector!!

Boba Fetish
10-07-2003, 11:56 PM
I have everything up to date in the 3 3/4" line and don't have anything near what Kitik Keed'kak is going for. To have that many points you are either:
a) a criminal who ripped them off somehow and karma will get you back. or
b) someone who has severe OCD and bought 5 of every freaking thing like the key chains and all those other little things with points on them. In that case you have got your own problems.

There is the chance of pooling, but what are the odds that a group of people got together and shared their JMPs to get one figure. Even if you sold it on Ebay, you wouldn't turn enough of a profit to make such an effort worthwhile.

The auctions are garbage; plain poodoo if you ask me. Nothing has sucked more hardcore ever, not since... well not since something sucked really really bad.

Down with the auctions and out with these rare figures so the fans can have a chance at getting them.

JediTricks
10-08-2003, 12:46 AM
I'm pretty disappointed with how Hasbro has let this play out. They ramp up interest for months, and then knowing thousands of people are interested, release 4 items. Maybe if they had hundreds of items, the prices wouldn't have been so insane, but I don't think I would have liked the auction concept much with that application either.

The truth is, I don't like anything Hasbro does that tries to pit the collecting community against itself, between this and the "Fans Choice" polls it seems like Hasbro gets their jollies from watching the collectors tear at each others' throats in some demented online version of king of the hill (the game, not the cartoon).

Vortex
10-08-2003, 01:18 AM
Didn't even bother with it. I had a mess of them at one point, but after waiting since 95 for a "cash in" or redemption program I gave up hope and just trashed a large chunk. I'm just amazed at the totals some people have.

I don't have a total points = dollars conversion, but man just think about the $$$ plunked down to get a JMP total like some of these goofs have posted. who really has 50,000+ points. Unless you stocked up on the big ticket items and build 1,000 strong armies of figures I can see geting a total like that, but man you'd need a bankers box or garbage bag to send those points in....

I do wonder what the dollar break down would be....

Just thinking outloud here, If a single carded figure is 10 Points, average of 6 bucks that's 5,000 single figures x 6.00 for 30,000 bucks. (stang, that's almost a whole years pay check for some people.)

A clone 3 pack is 10 points, average of 9 bucks or 10. That's still 5,000 figures at 10.00 a hit, that's 50,000 bucks that way. (That's a new luxury car)

The 12" exclusive dewback and trooper is 80...for 60-80 bucks...(whistles) don't even want to crunch the number for that, but that's a lot of $$$ dropped if they truely do have that sort of count...

Just boggles the mind and makes my wallet hurt.

Darthpadawan
10-08-2003, 03:40 AM
If you ask me this is just Hasbroís way of skating around any legal issues in the future. Hasbro has given us the opportunity to use our points if we choose to and if we choose not to well then we had our chance, right? Well like many fans Iím tired of Hasbro. Iím tired of seeing all these items they say that we can expect only to have to purchase them from online retailers at four times the retail price. The problem is that Hasbro doesnít have to care about us. We are fans and there are just certain things we feel compelled to buy. The fact that we can only give our business to their company is what gives them the power. Donít take this seriously but being from California I say we recall Hasbro, I know I donít feel represented. Back to the topic I feel the auctions are a terrible idea. There is no way Iím going to cut into my figures. I think that Hasbro should sell directly to the public. At least that would eliminate the excuses of retailers not ordering the proper figures for stocking.

Tycho
10-08-2003, 06:16 AM
Maybe I'm just in a mood, but this thread is just way too FUNNY!

As an army-builder and diorama creator, I'm just not going to bother even counting mine.

Kitik Keed Kak was released in the Orient and I came by one another way. He's loose in my bar scene now.

So there's nothing for me to bid on here.

FOR ME: if they crack out some Episode One Eopiees with Qui-Gon Jinn, then we'll really find out how many JMPs I've been hoarding.

Meanwhile, these bids might be real, or they might be disproved when the winner finds out they got nothing, and the process of elimination [Florida-style RECOUNT RECOUNT RECOUNT] will single out the winners who can really cough up the points. So if you want something, I'd say bid.

I have a database of what figures I bought for what scenes, so I could just do the math and forgo the counting of all these points unless (until) I won. Then the scissors thing starts looking like a nightmare.

But if they put up the Eopiee, I'll do some other math: it's currently around $45-75 for an Eopiee on E-bay. How much $$ could I make writing one good financial plan for a client, and the time it takes to do that, versus the hours all that cutting points out would take me?

I think I'll figure out it'd be more worth my while to just buy the darn things on e-Bay.

But, if it's something like those beasts that I want 4 of and couldn't ever find, I'll at least give Hasbro's program a try.

They do want to liquidate all the large number of points out there. If you lose an auction though, you won't lose your points. You still have 60,000 of them until you win and mail them in.

How long will Hasbro liquidate items for though? That remains a question. There in business to make a profit. I'd love for them to just put up 600 Clone Trooper 3 packs and let everybody bid on them (to liquidate points and to distribute stuff we all want) but that'd cost them nearly $6,000 that they'd get from us through a retailer anyway.

It's nice but not fiscally responsible to their shareholders to let all of us use our JMPs. So I'm sure it's not going to happen.

plo koon 200
10-08-2003, 08:50 AM
That's why I think they should release a new figure.

See Tycho for you, you have everything so all these items are pointless. But if there was a new figure there would be something worthwhile for you.

Not only would it be worthwhile for you but also the retail outlets because I am sure there are a few collectors, carded and newbies, who just don't have that many points. This would make them buy more product to get the mail-away.

And there is no excuse as to why a mail-away would hurt Hasbro. They could limit it by two like the Fan Club.

Afterall it is estimated that a figure cost on average $2 for Hasbro. So lets say that you have to give them 200 points and heck even $3 shipping. 200 points=20 figures at $5 each for apprx. $1 profit for Hasbro. $20-$2=$18 profit. Nope, I don't see them losing much money at all from doing a mail-away promotion.

Actually looking at this auction promotion the cost to mail out these items like the 12" Jango far exceedes $2. So if they were to really have enough product on there for all the fans then this promotion would actually cost them more than a mail-away figure promotion.

jedi master sal
10-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Well, I am in the minority as well, but my choice didn't clearly convey my thoughts. I voted "I really like them and plan on bidding".

Actually, I did bid on items, twice.

I'm one of those sitting on 5 digits worth of points and couldn't compete either. I really would like to have a Kitik as wellbut I'm not blowing the whole wad on one figure!

Now that others who pump up the bids have turned the auctions into a farce, maybe Hasbro will see the light and give us a mailaway.

The problem with that is, those of us who have save thousands of points have the opportunity to "cash" in on alot of "free" mailaways.

I can remember getting free GI Joe stuff as a kid for very little in the way of points. Now that would be ludicrious for Hasbro when it comes to JMP's. They screwed themselves by not coming up with a plan YEARS ago.

So, now we are all at a quandry.

Now, there have been a few formulas for redeeming points thus far in this thread and I'd like to offer mine as well.

Given the current situation I feel this is one of the fairest ways for Hasbro to promote a mailaway.

200 points + s/h per figure not to exceed $3.

boil the points done to if you buy 1 figure at $5 and get 10 points (this is an average, of course we paid more for EPI figs and now KB's is running a great $1.99 sale, just stay with me on this)

With the above equation you pay $100 for 20 figures and have 200 points. Getting a free figure is almost like getting all of the tax back that you paid for those figures to begin with. Paying the Shipping and handling of $3 gets money back into Hasbro's pockets so they don't lose. In fact they still profit from this, providing enough consumer participation (and I think we can safely say that there would be more than enough participation). So they only make a dollar on each mail-away, still it's profit, if the $2 cost per figure is true.

We get a figure (and why not make this an exclusive, or at least HTF items, just for kicks Hasbro) for $3 ($2 cheaper than average retail) + 200 JMP's.

That still means that we can have plenty of points for other mailaways.

Hasbro could even limit the number of figure mailaway offers to a specific household to say 3. (Of course this is easily gotten around by you mailing away the points and money and having it sent to relatives and/or friends addresses.)

Still, I can't see how Hasbro can lose...

We then could all get some cool stuff for cheap. Hasbro still gains a profit, although marginal-still a profit, and also have made consumers happy.

Here's another future possibility were they to offer a mailaway: They could offer one or two mail-aways a year until the license runs out. Certainly, each collector would have enough JMP's to get each and every mailaway and kids would in the long run be able to get some of them as well.

If it gets some MOC collectors to finally open figures so they can redeem points for the mailaways so be it.

Finally, offer this to EVERYONE on the planet! I'm an American and I even feel slighted by Hasbro for not offering this to our European/Australian (and everyone else) friends.

Had I still have been in the military I would have been slighted because the offer cannot be sent to APO's and FPO's (which are military addresses).

While in theory the auctions were meant to be a positive thing, it is safe to say they do not work. Certainly not for the benefit of the regular collector or consumers in general.

Okay, Hasbro, time to come clean and say that the auctions are not working. take them down and formulate a new plan that can satisfy everyone (Kinda like the one I proposed) Mine may or may not be the best but it certainly is fair.

(What normal collector can't come up with 200 JMP's in a year given all the available products out there?)

Okay, I'm done now, what do you fellows think?

aceguide
10-08-2003, 11:25 AM
The concept is fine.

For the life of me I cannot figure out where the numbers of points are coming from. 18,000 points = 1800 figs. Who out there has THAT many. A prescious few I'd think. Plus - Dealers or Scalpers will not damage their merchandise for the points.

So, to me this will quickly become a policing issue.

I do regret that we have not had the annual accessory set mail away from the good ol days. Those were fun - epspecially as a kid.

Oh well. I can't wait for an SSGer to win an auction...

InsaneJediGirl
10-08-2003, 11:31 AM
I'm in the "dislike" catagory.Counting my points the other day,I had roughly 350.Like most of you,I threw about 500 points away in 2001,they were just collecting dust.I'm also against the auction because it doesnt include Canada(it doesnt cost much to ship there),the UK,and the collecting community abroad.Seems unfair that those who spend just as much/more dont get a try.

Anyways,I'd like to see a mail-away.200 Points plus $3 as Sal talked about is a good idea.It would be open to kids and collectors alike,and if Hasbro was worried about going out of business they could put a limit of 3 per household.Why not a Kitik as a mail away?Or Ephant Mon?Heck,I'd even take a Clonetrooper.

bamahog
10-08-2003, 12:29 PM
While the concept was good, the above average collector, let alone the average collector, doesn't even have a chance. When people are bidding 20,000 points for an item, it will be impossible. If just buying figures, that is over 2000 figures, which means that either a) they have one hell of a diorama or b) it is from these toy company's who found away to use their back stock of Jango pilot figures.

Don't be surprised to see some good deals on lose figures coming soon.

Im all about the old days, where X number of points or blue/green circles got you a figure.

richd
10-08-2003, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=DarthAnalyst]I voted, "I really like them and plan to bid."

Personally, I'm glad Hasbro decided to do anything with them. With all the points out there (legitimate #s, not the bazillions we originally saw), I think there was little Hasbro could have done to honor the points without losing a fortune giving away toys (they are a corporation, after all).

Yes, Hasbro is a corporation and is in the business of making money . . . but that's part of the complaints several collectors have. The fine folks at Hasbro make REALLY DUMB decisions that lose them money. Here are some examples: (1) This auction: limited amounts, competition-based, many unhappy, disheartened customers. Also, no Canadian or overseas collectors can participate. If they had mail-ins like before, more people would be happy, more people would get the item they want, and (now this is the important part) more people would buy more items for more points to get more items which equals more profit for Hasbro. Hasbro could certainly honor the points without coming out hurting. They make money hand over fist from us and people who spend lots of money deserve a little something back. That's what the spirit of the points should be about. Most stores have a "loyal customer" program so the idea is great if done properly. Look at some of the calculations people have done in this thread to see that for the numbers involved, Hasbro could certainly throw us a frickin' bone once in a while.

As for other bad ideas (without accompanying rant)"
(2) the endless rereleasing of old figures in "new" packages . . . like bounty hunter pack, cantina packs, etc.

(3) packaging tons of plain, get-one figures and few cool, army-builder figures (like 10 2-1Bs and 2 Stormtroopers per case). This one has always bothered me. Have the people who make these decisions even seen the movies? Do they know ANY collectors at all? . . . sorry, I promised no ranting.

(4) . . . the list goes on but I think everyone gets the idea.

KEEP HASBRO, replace the current decision makers there!

sunblind
10-08-2003, 03:06 PM
How can people compete with the owners of millions of MJP's?
Come on. I'd like to use this MJP's. The going rate for these auctions are unbelievable.

karinations
10-08-2003, 03:18 PM
You should be able to just "buy" stuff with points, there will always be some guy with 1million points to win whatever auction they have.
I might as well just throw mine out like i should have all along.
This is teh suke.

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

stillakid
10-08-2003, 10:43 PM
Are you guys going to bid on these items?.
I've already got all the "hard to get" stuff that they are offering, so it isn't worth my time to even count my points right now. Except for Kitik, of course, but I fully expect to see him at retail (or in a shipment from KEBco) some time in the next 12 months.

What would you like to see them offer?.
I'd like to see them go back in time, even a few years, and offer that stuff that isn't really available anymore at a retail price, like the Bantha or some of the ships perhaps. Maybe they could go back even further and offer some actual rare and semi-valuable vintage items, like one of their early Hasbro action figure posters or a set of POTF figures. Or maybe they could concoct some kind of newly revamped display stand (like the vintage one) with a great backdrop only available through the auction.

But simply auctioning off relatively recent stuff somehow makes it seem like they aren't any better than the scalpers who populate Ebay.

How long is it taking you to cut out all those Jedi Master Points?
Don't know how many I have, but I have all the packaging (ships, playsets) and all the cardbacks from whenever it was this whole thing started up again. It would likely take days, lest I develop nasty blisters.

Are you regretting "damaging" your cardbacks?.
Haven't done it yet, but unless there is something really really attractive to me on a future auction, this one issue would probably keep me from pulling out the shears. Even though I open all the toys, I kinda like having the cardbacks around. Weird I know, but is any of this normal?

Tell us what you think now that Hasbro's started their Jedi Master Points Auctions.
As long as some people are getting enjoyment out of it, I think it's a good idea.

In fact, another idea I just had would be for them to auction off the right (priviledge?) to choose the next figure they make. Imagine, being able to bid all the points you have earned (purchased, really) over the years and exchange them essentially for the one never before made and not likely to be anytime soon, action figure of your choosing. Now this would really be a "reward" and a "thank you" from Hasbro to us for spending so much money on them over the years. And truly, the person who has the most points (and is willing to spend them) is probably the one worthy of this method of thanks from Hasbro.

What do you guys think of that? Would Hasbro go for it?

plo koon 200
10-08-2003, 10:57 PM
You know stillakid you said something that really makes me happy. I like this idea. I would either get made dead Shmi, or roasted Owen and Beru if I could make a two-pack.

Darth Jax
10-08-2003, 11:06 PM
my random thoughts on this topic - and i voted for the could care less option.

anyone else notice how many first time posters this poll has generated?

hasbro owes us collectors nothing for purchasing their product. the toy itself is the reward. they could easily say JMP are worthless (and wouldn't face much more wrath than the current hatred of the auctions). that being said, i believe the auctions were/are simply an attempt to appease a rapidly growing unsatisfied population among the core purchasers of sw- the collectors. what hasbro has not learned is that anything they do short of putting out a simple, articulated version of every character (or outfit) present onscreen for a blink of an eye will be met with a backlash from the collectors. there is no pleasing us, simply read most of the threads on these boards. there is little true praise for a figure here, most complain about this feature, or lack of this articulation, or that paint is the wrong color or applied in the wrong place - anything to make a figure sound bad. an auction by nature is going to exclude most people, even of all those bidding only one can win. then there is the exclusion of anyone lacking an american mailing address. plenty of potential flashpoints for people to complain.

a mail-in promotion would certainly be more popular among those with JMPs to spend. it's easy to limit the quanties that can be obtained by restricting JMPs to the saga line or providing copies of receipts. start trying to limit a mail-in promotion and people will complain about that. hasbro is in a lose/lose situation and know it.

mastermatt24
10-09-2003, 12:39 AM
It seems that no one likes this auction-- If I could I would email these replys of the polls to Hasbro, but there customer service is HORRIBLE! I've emailed them many times about this auction but they havent sent me any replys. Has anyone else email them about the auction???

:cry:

plo koon 200
10-09-2003, 08:40 AM
I e-mailed them. It does not do much. I know.

Bacta Beast
10-09-2003, 06:47 PM
The concept is fine.

For the life of me I cannot figure out where the numbers of points are coming from. 18,000 points = 1800 figs. Who out there has THAT many. A prescious few I'd think. Plus - Dealers or Scalpers will not damage their merchandise for the points.

So, to me this will quickly become a policing issue.

I do regret that we have not had the annual accessory set mail away from the good ol days. Those were fun - epspecially as a kid.

Oh well. I can't wait for an SSGer to win an auction...

Hey Ace Don't forget that not all points are a 10 value. I have some 100 value points, (I think it was The Queens Starhip) Anyway, That's still an incredible amount of points, I think it's some of these dealers or something.

Bacta Beast
10-09-2003, 07:01 PM
my random thoughts on this topic - and i voted for the could care less option.

anyone else notice how many first time posters this poll has generated?

hasbro owes us collectors nothing for purchasing their product. the toy itself is the reward. they could easily say JMP are worthless (and wouldn't face much more wrath than the current hatred of the auctions). that being said, i believe the auctions were/are simply an attempt to appease a rapidly growing unsatisfied population among the core purchasers of sw- the collectors. what hasbro has not learned is that anything they do short of putting out a simple, articulated version of every character (or outfit) present onscreen for a blink of an eye will be met with a backlash from the collectors. there is no pleasing us, simply read most of the threads on these boards. there is little true praise for a figure here, most complain about this feature, or lack of this articulation, or that paint is the wrong color or applied in the wrong place - anything to make a figure sound bad. an auction by nature is going to exclude most people, even of all those bidding only one can win. then there is the exclusion of anyone lacking an american mailing address. plenty of potential flashpoints for people to complain.

a mail-in promotion would certainly be more popular among those with JMPs to spend. it's easy to limit the quanties that can be obtained by restricting JMPs to the saga line or providing copies of receipts. start trying to limit a mail-in promotion and people will complain about that. hasbro is in a lose/lose situation and know it.

The problem is, Hasbroke has been promising us a use for these points since they started putting them on packaging! "Clip and save for special offers" they said. So we've been doing that for 5 years running now, hearing them say, "something's in the works". Then there was a rumor that Australian fans were given catalogs with products to use there points for, (don't know if that one was true or not) So now, they finally do something with them, and the most stalwart and loyal of fans are left out because of these outrageous numbers. Add to that the growing discontent that most feel due to a lack of availability of product. No, it's not impossible to make us happy, in fact it would be rather profitable if they did! They need to try listening to what we want for a change!

plo koon 200
10-09-2003, 10:50 PM
I belive the Australlians were given a one time offer, the never produced/released before second wave of Episode I Accessory sets.

Bacta Beast
10-09-2003, 10:54 PM
I belive the Australlians were given a one time offer, the never produced/released before second wave of Episode I Accessory sets.

Still better than what they're offering us ! I just hope these idiots run out of points soon. Could they be reproducing their own?

mastermatt24
10-09-2003, 11:25 PM
O BOY!
Hasbro is posting one new item a day.... This means you have like 1.5 seconds to bid and get outbid, and then watch the bid soar to 55 thousand points. :frus: Im still dissatisfied. I had some high hopes for that Jorg fig..but i lost it in a couple of secs.. I got SO mad I went and bought one on ebay for $59. Better than all of those points.

Hellboy
10-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Hasbro sent out an email today to those on their mailing list that stated:

"Starting this week, the Star Wars Jedi Master Points Auction will add one new auction item each day. Instead of introducing new auction items for collectors one time each week, we will add a new item each day for Bounty Hunters like you."

I wonder if this means there will be less time in-between the start of the auction and the End Date as well?

A daily update would definately give more collectors a chance at redeeming their points but there is still no way to reward everyone. Hopefully the people with huge amounts of points will burn them out during the first month or so and some scraps will be left for the remaining collectors. Even so the idea is still very flawed and unfair.

aikman8_1999
10-10-2003, 04:48 PM
people are printing fake points on thier computers to generate the large tallies we have seen

a normal collector (<1000 jpm) wont be able to get anything

Turbowars
10-11-2003, 07:22 PM
How come Hasbro is making it sound like this auction crap is for us hard core collectors? Which it is, there's no way a kid could keep up with these auctions. They always say that kids are still the biggest buyers, so why treat their biggest consumers like trash and not offer them a mail away or something. Man, even a nice poster with all the Saga figures would have even been cool, or some repaint Astro droids. Just something better than whats happening. :(

Tycho
10-13-2003, 03:27 AM
I really don't have time to watch it. You guys could do me a favor and just tell me if they put up an Eopiee with Qui-Gon Jinn in one of the darn auctions.

That's about all I'm motivated to vote for.

Posters, Clone Trooper Packs, or even the Fan Club's previous Army Builder Kits (CommTech Stormies) etc. would all make great items.

The recent SW Insider shipped with a nice Clone Wars scene made with all toys, BTW.

Lord Malakite
10-13-2003, 01:26 PM
I'm not for this auction thing at all. For one thing, its exclusive to the U.S., which excludes the rest of the world. The second thing, it excludes the MOC collectors, myself included. Third, even if I were to cut all my points off, there is no way I'd be able to win anything in the auction compared to these insane bids, at least not anything I would want.

scruffziller
10-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Doggone IT!!!!!!

I was hanging on to all my fig boxes and backs in hope the points would be useful for something someday and decided nothing will happen so I threw them away.

My luck.:frus:

I guess it doesn't matter since I wouldn't have that many to make an impact either.

skeeziks22
10-27-2003, 04:36 PM
There are a bunch of old figures sitting on shelves on discount. If Hasbro would make it easier (a mail away) to use your points I would buy up these discounted figures and cut out the points and then put them in the "Toys for Tots" bin. This would benefit everyone... me (I'd get something for free like the gold old days), toyless children (they'd have SW figs to play with), and Hasbro (the discounted toys would be gone inspiring retailers to fill their shelves with new toys, mint on card collectors (they could keep their figs on cards), everyone else (you may finally be able to find new (ie Jan. 2003) figures in your local Wal-Mart, or TRU).

sunblind
10-28-2003, 10:21 AM
people are printing fake points on thier computers to generate the large tallies we have seen

a normal collector (<1000 jpm) wont be able to get anything

I can't believe the amounts people are still posting for auctions?! I thought I was a big SW collector, being that I have an entire room filled from one wall back around and again. With having around 800 points, I thought that would be alot. Nope. With the numbers waaayyy into the thousands. I just dont understand were these people came up with a collection larger than mine or bigger then the ave collector. I mean really. I didnt think the auctions would last THIS long with that many peoplke still having a high number of JMP's? Seems like to me everyone has a huge star wars collection hidden away somewhere cause when ever i visit any of my friends houses i dont see there collection.

Tycho
10-28-2003, 11:47 AM
Army building.

Stormtroopers
Jedi
Clones
Geonosians

everything...

I'm not bidding myself, but I'm sure I have more than a million JMPs.

But who'd want to cut them all out? And for what? Stuff I already have?

My figures are either loose in dioramas, with their cardbacks being stored in boxes, or the figures themselves being stored in the boxes labled with titles like "Battle of Geonosis" and "Kamino Cloning Center" etc. until I have a bigger house with more room to create more of these scenes.

What's in the boxes? As many characters as you saw in the movie (to the best of my ability). Yes, that's a lot of JMPs!

skeeziks22
10-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Tycho,
That's where I stand as well... I have enough points to bid, but it would involve some serious carpal tunnel syndrome. Plus, I have seen just one thing that I would bid on... and I would rather spend a few bucks to buy it than sit down and cut out all the points. I can't believe that people that have enough points to bid don't already have this stuff in their collections. I want to see some exclusive items that we can get with these points (but not as an auction).

stillakid
10-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Tycho,
That's where I stand as well... I have enough points to bid, but it would involve some serious carpal tunnel syndrome. Plus, I have seen just one thing that I would bid on... and I would rather spend a few bucks to buy it than sit down and cut out all the points. I can't believe that people that have enough points to bid don't already have this stuff in their collections. I want to see some exclusive items that we can get with these points (but not as an auction).

I'm with you there. I've got a ton of points (no idea how many), but there are only a couple of things I'm missing so far. One is the Qui Gon with Eeopie (the camel thing) and those Accessory packs that never showed up at Target. Still not sure if the time spent cutting out the points would make it worth it. I could probably buy the things from Ebay or elsewhere for far less effort (and Hasbro-coin value).