PDA

View Full Version : The Bachelor Thread. Tips and Tricks of the lonely.

scruffziller
10-07-2003, 10:00 AM
When I put food on a plate and it isn't overtly used, I stick it in the fridge to reuse it so I don't have to let the dishes pile up.

I have never bought a box of Kleenex in my life so I just use toilet paper to blow my nose. I will save the paper for small cleanup jobs around the restroom.
Sounds disgusting but it isn't that big a deal since it is a cleanup job.

When I put clothes up to dry on these drying racks, I just take off the clothes as I need them instead of putting them in a dresser or hanging them up.

So what are some of the not so glamorous things you bachelors or ex bachelors
have done to maximize your time.:D

billfremore
10-07-2003, 10:09 AM
- Eaten pop-tarts for dinner
- Used the "lazy man's iron", the dryer
- Used dishes more than once before washing them
- Cleaned an entire bathroom using only Windex

scruffziller
10-07-2003, 10:48 AM
- Cleaned an entire bathroom using only WindexYEA!!!:D That cleaner is better and has more uses than most people think.

kool-aid killer
10-07-2003, 11:02 AM
A couple of years ago my parents went on vacation and i was the man of the house for two weeks but i didnt know how to cook or do laundry. I ended up eating at relatives houses about half the time but the other half i spent eating what ever i could find that was easy to make. I ate a whole Village Inn pie for dinner one night but didnt feel good afterwards. For frozen pizza i threw it in the microwave in broken up pieces and heated it like that. Popcorn was easy to make so it substituted once or twice. Luckily i had a decent amount of clothing so i didnt have to wash any. It sucked and i hope i never have to do that type of thing again. My advice would be to find someone who can do that crap for you.

scruffziller
10-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Well this October 15th it will have been 8 years since I left the nest so I have learned to do all kinds of things.:D

Oh yea, used cardboard boxes for trays and hung old sheets up as curtains.
I still don't own a regular table and chairs but a card table and chair set and that isn't even where the table is suppose to be. Mattress and box springs have always been on the floor. I use newspaper for place mats. Fix old couch by putting pillows and old blankets under the cushions. My entire table use is off of a tray.

sith_killer_99
10-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Here's one for ya, I learned this one in the Army. Newspaper is great for cleaning the bathroom. It's true, you can use it to clean windows/mirrors and it gives you a beautiful streak free shine. It sure beats the heck out of used snot TP. lol

BTW, I am/was a MAJOR allergy sufferer, so I have bought MUCH kleenex (with lotion). Believe me, when you spend 12 hours a day with a runny nose for a week straight, there is a difference...like NOT having chapped nostrils. :D

scruffziller
10-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Well this October 15th it will have been 8 years since I left the nest so I have learned to do all kinds of things.:D

Oh yea, used cardboard boxes for trays and hung old sheets up as curtains.
I still don't own a regular table and chairs but a card table and chair set and that isn't even where the table is suppose to be. Mattress and box springs have always been on the floor. I use newspaper for place mats. Fix old couch by putting pillows and old blankets under the cushions. My entire table use is off of a tray.Oh yea, used folding chairs as trays when friends would come over since I only have 1 tray. Plus use them same chairs as a coffe table and side tables next to my couch and easy chair.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-07-2003, 12:57 PM
This is soooo white trash, but sometimes when I have to clear the table and the kids make a mess on it, I'll go outside and shake it out onto the lawn instead of trying to wipe it off. At least I don't do it in my wifebeaters and jockeys and the birds get something to eat.

Dr Zoltar
10-07-2003, 01:19 PM
When I was single, I was a master of cooking using the minimum of dishes/pots. Many times I cooked and ate in the same pot. I hardly ever measured anything and just eyeballed it so I wouldn't dirty any measuring cups.

The 'Xir
10-07-2003, 02:30 PM
...so I have bought MUCH kleenex (with lotion). :D

Here's a Bachelor tip for ya SK! Never, use the words Kleenex and lotion in the same sentence, at least not publicly!!! ;) :D LOL!

Some of my own Bachelor tips!:
Why wash bed sheets, when you can just throw a sleeping bag on top of your bed!

Easiest Dinner Top10 List:
1) whatever Bag of chips are in the cupboard!
2) whatever that thing is wrapped up in the frig from last week! Smells OK!
3) Hot Dog in the microwave!
4) Rice! Hey a Billion chinese people can't be wrong!
5) If you can boil rice then Spaghetti can't be that hard either! Heat Jar sauce at your discretion. :stupid:
6) Taco Bell is a nice change from McDonalds!!!
7) Ask your roomate if they're going to finish whatever they're eating!
8) Soup!!!
9) Tuna Fish is good but can be hard work depending on how much stuff you add to it!
and the #10th easiest dinner to have:
10) well, once you've returned your bottles and can's, what else is there but Pizza and Wings!!!

bobafrett
10-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Well being as I've spent a good part of my last 14 years being single on and off, I must say I've learned to seperate my wash loads. I mean whites and colored clothes don't wash under the same temperature water. Still refuse to cook, If it isn't fast food, or something that I can microwave, then I'm most likely not going to make it. I mean why bother if your cooking for 1? I can stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning if I want. I leave the house whenever, come back when I feel like it, can leave toothpaste on the bathroom mirror, make the bed if I choose, watch dirty movies without getting the evil eye. Stay out late with my buddies.

But of course not everything good can last. My son might be coming to stay with me again, so it will be a more normal life for me. That's not to say that having my son living with me will be bad, in fact it will be a blessing.

scruffziller
10-07-2003, 07:39 PM
I must say I've learned to seperate my wash loads. I mean whites and colored clothes don't wash under the same temperature water.
Oh yea, throw in socks and undies with colored clothes, hey who's going to see them anyhow?:D

JediTricks
10-08-2003, 01:12 AM
I never separate my whites from my colored clothes, since I don't use bleach (it's bad for the ecology, and in my neighborhood there's already way too much chlorine in the water) and I wash everything on hot anyway, there ya go.

I rarely even fold or put my laundry away most of the time, simply remove from dryer into laundry basket and leave basket in the closet. When I want clothes, simply reach into the basket and find what I want. :D

To make sure I don't let the dishes pile up, I separate one set of dishes and utensils from the rest and ONLY use that one set, that way the sink can only be so full if I don't do the dishes, and if I want to eat I need to do the dishes - which only takes 5 minutes. :D I could go the route my grandmother has taken, she simply puts her dishes in the dishwasher right after use and rinse, then runs it when it's full - but that seems like too much work for my tastes. ;)

Another one is that when women folk aren't living with me, the kitchen and the bathroom are almost barren of product so they both make fine areas to store my SW crap that isn't on display. My kitchen has a ton of cupboard space that i'm never using, especially since I store my cookware in the oven (hey, there's another tip: the oven stores your cookware :D plus, my apartment came with 2 ovens for some reason, one that works and the one built into the stove that's DOA so twice the space!). Oh, and this place has a walk-in closet which is big enough to be a small room, so more storage or a pinball machine or something!

Here's another tip for the bachelor, never save plastic or paper bags from the store - you might think you could use them some day, but unless you have a dog, you won't.

Here's the greatest tip of all for the bachelor though: once you've cleaned up, do as little as possible in your place. The less you move, the less you drop, the less you spill... the less you clean. :D

The 'Xir
10-08-2003, 02:10 AM
Actually JT, I use my plastic bags from the grocery store!!! They make great garbage bags for that little waste basket in the bathroom, that is if you guys even have a little waste baskets in your bathrooms! But, if you do, once it's full just take it out tie up the handles and your done! No more worries about shaking it out into other garbage containers, hoping that that snot filled tissue doesn't miss and fall to the floor, forcing you to grap it by the smallest of a clean looking fold with the very tips of your fingers! :p

2-1B
10-08-2003, 02:13 AM
I never separate my whites from my colored clothes, since I don't use bleach (it's bad for the ecology, and in my neighborhood there's already way too much chlorine in the water) and I wash everything on hot anyway, there ya go.

I rarely even fold or put my laundry away most of the time, simply remove from dryer into laundry basket and leave basket in the closet. When I want clothes, simply reach into the basket and find what I want. :D

Okay JT, that's scary because it's EXACTLY what I do. I never, ever, under any circumstances separate by colors. No point in it.
Indeed, anything in the dryer goes back in the basket and then I serve myself a la carte from there. :D

Here's another tip for the bachelor, never save plastic or paper bags from the store - you might think you could use them some day, but unless you have a dog, you won't.

Now this I have to completely disagree with. I use those plastic bags ALL THE TIME for garbage, I always have one handy. Working at my computer and causing some waste, I always have a garbage bag handy. If I'm opening some new toys and have refuse as a result, into the bag it goes. The standard issue blue Wal-Mart size bag is a constant in my residence. :)

2-1B
10-08-2003, 02:16 AM
'Xir beat me to it ! ! ! :D

Yes indeed, I also use them for the bathroom wastebasket. Good call on tying the bag up when it's full - I do that all the time as well. :)

bobafrett
10-08-2003, 03:25 AM
Well, I save all my plastic bags, and when I get a drawer full of plastic bags, I take them to Jewel grocery store for recycling. I also recycle my pop cans, beer bottles, and plastic pop bottles. I do use a plastic bag in my bathroom wastebasket.

I used to wash all my clothes together. Now I seperate the darks and the whites. I also did a seperate load for my bed sheets today.

Look it's 2:16 in the morning, and I'm up on the computer and no one telling me to come to bed! Good, because I have to read still more threads.

Jargo
10-08-2003, 05:50 PM
Waste baskets in the bathroom? what's wrong with the floor? or simply open a window and throw anything that's garbage out the window.
Boil an egg in your kettle, make boil in the bag meals in the kettle. heat tins of whatever in the kettle, don't dirty pots just punch a hole in the can on the top take the lid off a kettle of boiling water and insert the can, leave for several minutes reheating when necessary and let the heat pernmeate through the already cooked contents of the food that just needs reheating. Open can and grab fork, eat from the can.
Rent a place with linoleum floors not carpets, carpets are high maintenance. Just hose down the floors and wash all the crap out your front door onto the hall floor or wherever your door opens.
Never dust anything. After three years the dust stops growing. designate each corner of your apartment living space as a place to dump certain stuff like one corner for junk mail, one corner for newspapers and magazines, one corner for a festering laundry pile and one corner for garbage sacks.
Don't buy toilet paper. Use the newspapers that pile up in the corner.
Look for canned food that contains more than one type of food to get a good balanced diet. Like spaghetti and chipolatas, or baked beans and curried egg. Y'know just weird stuff that means you get a total meal in one go.
Buy an air freshener with a non floral odour, works as deodorant too.
Buy reversible clothes, you can wear them twice as long without washing them.
develop a taste for dog food and stea the neighbours dogs dinner every day.
buy lots of white vinegar, used with newspaper it will clean the crap off any surface. Especially the crust from the toilet bowl when the landlord is coming a calling or your mother wants to visit. Just use an old cleaned out spray bottle from proper cleaning product and spray the vinegar on, it'll eat through limescale in minutes. It costs a fraction of the real cleaning products. Buy bulk it cleans windows and tv screens too. works on linoleum floors, fridges and freezers and bathtubs and wash basins and everything like that.
Get into the habit of taking the neighbours dog for a walk, then before you take it back get it to lick your plates and cutlery clean.
Having linoleum floors means beer spillages are easier to slurp up off the floor, carpet would be too hairy.
The only thing you should have categorised and catalogued in alphanumeric order is your mucky mag/video collection. Anything else is wussy and means you deserve to be eliminated forcibly and gruesomely. ;)

2-1B
10-09-2003, 02:47 AM
Don't buy toilet paper. Use the newspapers that pile up in the corner.

buy lots of white vinegar, used with newspaper it will clean the crap off any surface.

Hey, you're right! It DOES work ! :crazed:

jjreason
10-09-2003, 03:50 AM
This thread is way too funny.... I bach'd it for 4 years at University. Cooking and cleaning are a super drag, and do impinge upon your free time like few other things.

I was always pretty good about doing a couple of separate loads of laundry, I wash whites in hot and colours in medium - there was usually TONS of laundry for me to do when I went, so I'd just fire a hockey bag full of clothes in about 4 washers, and do it all at the same time. Coin laundry places rock.

As a bachelor, eating was all about convenience. Nutrition be damned, if I couldn't get it ready in less than 10 minutes, I was going out to eat - or eating peanut butter and crackers.

"This guy I know" was diagnosed as having scurvey (the first known case in Kingston in over half a century) because he ate Kraft dinner and water every day for a month because he couldn't his share of the phone bill - and that's what his roommates decided upon as a suitable punishment. Hilarity abounds when you're a bachelor......

2-1B
10-09-2003, 12:51 PM
What the hell is Kraft dinner, anyway? I always heard Terrance and Phillip talking about it on South Park . . . silly Canadians. :crazed:

Do you mean something by the actual Kraft company? Like macaroni and cheese?

Honestly, I'm stumped. :confused:

Exhaust Port
10-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Even though I've been dating the same girl for 5 years now I'm still living the bachelor lifestyle as she is never around to complain. :)

- I use towels as curtains for some windows.

- I have a jar of 8 year old applesauce that I've kept because of the mystery growth in the jar.

- I have 1 sharp knife, that's all you need.

- I do laundry, leave it in the basket and dress each morning from that. I can't remember the last time I put clothes back in the dresser.

- I drink mainly water so I have 1 cup that I use for days until I get motivated enough to start using another one.

- I have condiments in the refrigerator but can't remember the last time that I used any of them.

scruffziller
10-09-2003, 02:21 PM
This thread is way too funny.
Why Thanx.:D Being alot of us SW fans, I knew this would be a hit.

Even though I've been dating the same girl for 5 years now I'm still living the bachelor lifestyle as she is never around to complain. :)

- I use towels as curtains for some windows.

- I have a jar of 8 year old applesauce that I've kept because of the mystery growth in the jar.

- I have 1 sharp knife, that's all you need.

- I do laundry, leave it in the basket and dress each morning from that. I can't remember the last time I put clothes back in the dresser.

- I drink mainly water so I have 1 cup that I use for days until I get motivated enough to start using another one.

- I have condiments in the refrigerator but can't remember the last time that I used any of them.YEA!!!!!!!:D Some good ones. I do the same thing with the glass. But I drink other things besides water.:eek:

The only condiment I use is BBQ sauce and I have about fifteen of those upside down in the fridge trying to let the last of it run to the cap side. They keep falling over.:frus: There is a little invention I could buy for that prob, but improvasation is cheaper.

billfremore
10-09-2003, 05:03 PM
And of course we can't forget the all purpose modular furniture:

Milk Crates!

they make great shelves, chairs, coffee tables, cd towers, the list is nearly endless!

jjreason
10-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Hehehehehe!!!!!!!!! My big job for these days off was to move all of the milk crates into the shed!!!!!!!

But why? They're so perfect for holding magazines, books, toys and everything else... ridiculed and scorned because they don't match the sofa.... :rolleyes: :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-09-2003, 07:50 PM
One word for y'all: Noodles. These are Gods gift to the single. I swear, you could boil up some noodles (sauce optional, i usually just melt some butter on them), eat up and you're full for like 2 days straight. When i lived in Columbus for a few years, i just bought these economy packs of noodles (I worked at a Sams Club) and they lasted for months. But, if you eat too much, you can the weight, so you gotta work out and keep your excercising higher due to pasta having a ridiculous amount of carbs.

Kraft Dinner is just a Canadian way of saying Kraft Mac and Cheese. I learned that from the Barenaked Ladies. :D

as for cleaning, i just got a huge dust collector/brush/fluffy thing and ran that everywhere. Shake it out, wipe, repeat. Well, like everywhere dusty, not like for wiping my can or anything. lol

JediTricks
10-09-2003, 08:48 PM
Actually JT, I use my plastic bags from the grocery store!!! They make great garbage bags for that little waste basket in the bathroom, that is if you guys even have a little waste baskets in your bathrooms! But, if you do, once it's full just take it out tie up the handles and your done! No more worries about shaking it out into other garbage containers, hoping that that snot filled tissue doesn't miss and fall to the floor, forcing you to grap it by the smallest of a clean looking fold with the very tips of your fingers! :pYeah, but how many times a month do you fill up that tiny little trash can? It's been like 2 months since I've needed to take that thing out, and between groceries and toys and whatnot, I have a LOT more bags coming through here than 6 a year. :D I suppose the right thing to do would be to recycle these bags... but in this thread, I have a feeling that's going to fall on deaf ears. :p

Plus, as guys, how much bathroom garbage could we possibly accumulate? My can has a few Q-tips, some TP cores, an old empty tube of toothpaste, and a Dial soap wrapper. (If you use kleenex, disregard paragraph :D if you don't, that's what the toilet is for!)

Now this I have to completely disagree with. I use those plastic bags ALL THE TIME for garbage, I always have one handy. Working at my computer and causing some waste, I always have a garbage bag handy. If I'm opening some new toys and have refuse as a result, into the bag it goes. The standard issue blue Wal-Mart size bag is a constant in my residence. :)Time to upgrade to the big show Caesar! I have a normal sized wastebasket next to my computer desk FULL of old water bottles and stupid action figure bubbles & trays. That's why I go with the 100-count white trash bags from WM, only $6.50 a box. :D Since most isn't food garbage, this stuff can stay there for quite a while.

Boil an egg in your kettle, make boil in the bag meals in the kettle. heat tins of whatever in the kettle, don't dirty pots just punch a hole in the can on the top take the lid off a kettle of boiling water and insert the can, leave for several minutes reheating when necessary and let the heat pernmeate through the already cooked contents of the food that just needs reheating. Whoa whoa whoa! That's insane. This concept is negating Modern Bachelor tip #1 - "the microwave is your greatest ally". :crazed:

Don't buy toilet paper. Use the newspapers that pile up in the corner. Most of us are Americans, we don't read the paper. ;)

Here's another laundry tip, the pillowcase (assuming that you have just the 1 since you are after all a bachelor ;)) makes a great bag for carrying your socks and underwear to the laundry. You can simply up-end it into the machine and drop the pillowcase in too, and nobody else there will see how cruddy your dirty laundry is. The sheet (again, you've got just that 1, right?) does the trick for larger stuff, but needs to be held by all 4 corners fairly tight or you end up pulling a Hansel & Gretel all the to the laundry room.

Jargo
10-09-2003, 09:38 PM
I was saying about the kettle because if you're an impoverished student or loafer there won't necesarily be a microwave to use. Everywhere there's a kettle. You don't have to programme a kettle you just switch it on. Microwaves are time consuming. however there is one meal I ate as a bachelor all the time. 12 minute rice (curried) covered with baked beans in tomato sauce from a can, with grated red cheese on top.
Or if I was really broke i'd survive on toast. In fact I ate nothing but toast for three years. Toast and coffee. no plate to clean just a cup a spoon and a knife.
taking the sheet off the bed is not a true bachelor thing to do. You leave the bedding on the bed until the neighbours complain about the smell and then you know it's time to change it. Usually about six months.
Get your toilet paper from public restrooms. They have those big rolls that are wider but the same height as regular rolls so just keep rolling it out and then fill your pockets every time you're near one. If you keep doing that you'l soon have enough to keep you going for a few weeks.
Never open curtains, it disturbs the maggots and moths.
Never go under the bed or store anything usefull there, it disturbs the spiders.
Never move the trash bags from the kitchen as you'll seriously aggravate the rats. not to mention the termites and roaches.
never wear underwear and you'll never have to clean it. But keep one pair handy for if you have to go for a medical examination at the doctors or hospital.
To iron clothes ready for work the next day if you have to work that is, place clothing under your mattress and lie on the mattress as normal that night, in the morning your clothes will be pressed.

2-1B
10-10-2003, 03:40 AM
JT, I actually find myself opening carded figures in the bathroom sometime . . . so maybe I need a bigger trash can in there?

Good idea about putting one next to the computer desk, I've got the perfect spot for it! Then again, I'll actually have to go out and buy another trash can.

I'm not kidding about opening figures in the bathroom, it's craziest when you do a large figure like Marvel Legends. :)

Exhaust Port
10-10-2003, 11:22 AM
I use to use a garbage can for a trash can. I bought this full sized plastic garbage can from the Rubbermaid outlet up the street and that was my only trash recepticle. It was awesome. I could go weeks without empting the trash. :D

scruffziller
10-10-2003, 11:56 AM
I could go weeks without empting the trash. :DShoot, I would push the limits on my can that size. And it is 52 gallons.:D

Exhaust Port
10-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Shoot, I would push the limits on my can that size. And it is 52 gallons.:D
The key is having a big boot. :D

JediTricks
10-10-2003, 10:48 PM
JT, I actually find myself opening carded figures in the bathroom sometime . . . so maybe I need a bigger trash can in there?

Good idea about putting one next to the computer desk, I've got the perfect spot for it! Then again, I'll actually have to go out and buy another trash can.

I'm not kidding about opening figures in the bathroom, it's craziest when you do a large figure like Marvel Legends. :)I used to do this once in a while, but I've found there are major dangers with this. First, sitting on the toilet too long can give you hemorrhoids (really, it's true, so can the type of toilet paper you use); and second (and most importantly) if you drop a figure or accessory in the bathroom, at worst it falls in the toilet and at best it falls on the disgusting bathroom floor.

Check out Target, that's where I got my trash can for the computer area. It was on clearance and looked sorta neat, so I dropped $3 and have had a much easier time. Be careful to not let important things fall in though. ;)

Having too big a trash can is a problem for me since I have to use a garbage chute that really is only designed to accept paper grocery bags full of trash. See how complicated this sort of thing can be? :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-11-2003, 11:30 PM
greetings fellow SSG singles!! I found this on MSN. It turns out that girls might start actually digging our kind...and by that, i mean....dorks and geeks..yes yes, i might speak blasphemy, but let's face it: to many we are dorks. But screw them!!!! I love who I am and i'll be damned if anybody is going to try to make me change!!! :crazed:

Anyway, here is that article. Pretty entertaining stuff...

http://msn.match.com/msn/article.aspx?articleid=1342&articleSrc=1&sid=BBB9C5E8-DCD1-4A8B-9BF2-E702D075A0B5&trackingid=516165&theme=210&lid=81

Some comments i don't agree with, but hey, what can ya do? Enjoy! :D

2-1B
10-12-2003, 01:31 AM
It's not working, Guy. :(
Can you copy the text for us? :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-12-2003, 01:36 AM
Damn!! Here ya go! Taken from MSN's "Dating & Personals"

Loving your geek, tolerating his hobbies
By Matthew Sakey

Back when I was in high school, geeks were not highly regarded as potential boyfriend material. (Being one of them I am eminently qualified to attest to this.) Comic books, thick glasses, computers and chess club just don't match the selling potential of varsity jackets and cool cars. However, it's been noted that some geeks grow up to found software conglomerates, and even those who don't tend to be more agreeable later in life than they were back in their teens.

Like everyone after high school, we mellow out, ditch the young-wizard glasses, and develop the social skills that seemed so sorely lacking when we were pimply youths. However, that doesn't mean that we've lost our geekhood — we just conceal it better. More importantly, since you've grown up since high school as well, that geekhood which was so unpleasant back then is kind of charming now — try it and you may be surprised. There's no longer any shame in dating a geek, and it can be well worth the effort. The only issue is that sometimes you may find it difficult to understand our peculiarities. While it's not necessary to know the difference between Sauron, Saruman and the Sarlaac to successfully date one of us, mastering the art of tolerance and bemused understanding will assure a long and fruitful relationship with your geek.

Geek care and feeding is easier than many think, because we are generally healthiest when left to our own devices. This doesn't mean we can't do things together; but we do thrive when given a little time to do our own thing. (This conveniently frees you from having to be part of it.) For example, let me wander off to the computer section while you're browsing CDs at the store. And though I am betraying my people to share this, adhere to the strict "yes-no rule" of computer product purchases: If I come back clutching an object in a brightly colored box, let me buy it only if I didn't buy something last time we were shopping. We do tend to overextend our finances, especially on computer equipment — it changes so fast, and the stuff is just so neat — so it also might behoove you to check the price tag and confirm that I really need this item. (My interpretation of "need" at this point will be highly subjective, so ask the tough questions.) Remember that there's a good chance I only want it because it's new. Geeks are suckers for new stuff.

We geeks are comfortable in herds, so keeping yours content requires that he have the opportunity to associate with his own kind now and then. Conveniently, this also solves the movie problem: Our taste for multiple viewings of certain films may not appeal to you, so let us go with our friends as often as we like. Since geeks generally like movies of all kinds (we just gravitate towards those with dragons or starships over others), you can feel free to choose whatever films you'll see as a couple without fear of whining. Try that with a football star.

If you live together, it's also helpful to grant your geek a little space to call his own. Here we will build our model airplanes, operate our ham radio, play our games, whatever — all in gleeful privacy. After a school career of constant abuse, we are rather unsurprisingly embarrassed by our geekdom, so letting us practice it in solitude is a very considerate gesture. We'll appreciate it and you won't have to move all our miniatures off the kitchen table every time you want to eat.

Geeks are among the sweetest and most adoring of boyfriends, and the old prejudice of greasy-haired basement dwellers has long since fallen by the wayside. We can dress ourselves and perform routine grooming tasks, and as geeks move into the mainstream, we are becoming more sought after by savvy women. If you don't share some of your boyfriend's more esoteric hobbies, remember that they'll almost never interfere with all that you do share — so let him enjoy them.

enjoy! :D

2-1B
10-12-2003, 01:52 AM
bless your heart. :)

Actually, after reading that guy's article I think I only match up with maybe 5% of his description, so I don't fit his definition of a "geek."

Not that I considered myself to be one in the first place. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-12-2003, 02:01 AM
bless your heart. :)

Actually, after reading that guy's article I think I only match up with maybe 5% of his description, so I don't fit his definition of a "geek."

Not that I considered myself to be one in the first place. :)

(mikes eyes Caesars near 5,000 post count at a SW Related site
mike then eyes the avatar of Anakin Skywalker turning into Darth Vader)

Hm, never considered yourself to be one, eh?! oh, my dear friend, Da Nile ain't just a river in egypt! It's ok Caesar, you're all in good geek company. You can come out of the closet and admit it to yourself and your fellow posters, you're a dork, just like the rest of us. :D

Tonysmo
10-12-2003, 02:24 AM
Thats one of the best clips Ive read in awhile.. too funny..

I soooo get ****y when my miniatures are moved!

2-1B
10-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Okay Mike, I'll bite. :D Let's consider the evidence from the guy's article:

Comic books -- couldn't care less about comic books. In fact I think they're kinda lame. :)

thick glasses -- nope. I wore glasses only because I'm too sensitive to contacts. The older I got, the smaller by eyewear became. I made sure of that.

computers -- I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to computers

chess club -- I enjoy a recreational came of chess sometimes but I certainly would never join a club.

varsity jackets -- had one fo these due to my interest and participatin in athletics

and cool cars -- "cool" being a debatable term . . . my high school car was not cool by any means but it had some charm. Hey, I was broke. :D

found software conglomerates -- no chance in hell, see above comment re: my ignorance

Like everyone after high school, we mellow out -- I'm way more full of **** and vinegar now than I ever was. :D

ditch the young-wizard glasses -- nope

and develop the social skills that seemed so sorely lacking -- couldn't be further from the truth

when we were pimply youths -- ahhhh, no. I had a very decent complexion.

but we do thrive when given a little time to do our own thing -- this applies to every married man to ever walk the Earth. :D

For example, let me wander off to the computer section -- I never go there because I don't understand most of it

while you're browsing CDs at the store -- I'd be right there with her, before or after I hit the DVD section

And though I am betraying my people to share this, adhere to the strict "yes-no rule" of computer product purchases: If I come back clutching an object in a brightly colored box, let me buy it only if I didn't buy something last time we were shopping -- I don't even know what the hell he's talking about here, so I can't possibly be one of the people he is "betraying." :D

Geeks are suckers for new stuff. -- Who isn't?

We geeks are comfortable in herds -- actually, I'm embarrassed by some of the people in the lines for midnight showings of Star Wars. And the people who Triumph goofed on at the AOTC debut. :D

Conveniently, this also solves the movie problem: Our taste for multiple viewings of certain films may not appeal to you, so let us go with our friends as often as we like. Since geeks generally like movies of all kinds (we just gravitate towards those with dragons or starships over others), you can feel free to choose whatever films you'll see as a couple without fear of whining. Try that with a football star.
-- I played football and I also love all kinds of movies. Aside from Star Wars, there are no other sci-fi/dragons/starships on my top favorites list.

Here we will build our model airplanes -- nope, never happens

operate our ham radio -- wouldn't know how to do it if you put a gun to my Ephant Mon's head.

play our games, whatever, all in gleeful privacy-- I fit this bill, I like to do my own little things sometimes. But what person doesn't ?

After a school career of constant abuse -- nope, didn't happen.

Good point about my number of posts but it averages out to less than 6 per day . . . of course, that's not counting the Misc. sectin so we'll say 6 to be safe. :D

I have to head to bed now, I've got a full slate of NFL games and fantasy football to lounge around watching tomorrow. :D

Lord Malakite
10-12-2003, 03:33 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but Guyute's story sounds more like instructions for taking care of a pet. :p

2-1B
10-12-2003, 03:55 AM
Yeah Malakite, what's that about "Geek care and feeding is easier than many think" ? ? ? :crazed:

smurfvader
10-16-2003, 07:50 PM
The only thing I can offer is that a gas oven is always on and is always warm, so If you need some clothes to dry overnight just stick them in the oven.

JIm

JediTricks
10-17-2003, 05:06 AM
Hmm, that sounds like a great way to start a fire. :D

Exhaust Port
10-17-2003, 10:29 AM
How about using everything or anything to use as a bowl to eat out of. Make macaroni and cheese in a pot and leave it in there as you eat it. Run out of clean bowls? Use some strange tupperware containers to eat your morning cereal. :)

billfremore
10-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Eating Mac 'n' Cheese out of a pot?
Why that's a staple of being a bachelor!

and for the extra lazy bachelor, just buy paper plates.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Don't forget plastic silverware either! :D

bobafrett
10-17-2003, 01:14 PM
How about using everything or anything to use as a bowl to eat out of. Make macaroni and cheese in a pot and leave it in there as you eat it. Run out of clean bowls? Use some strange tupperware containers to eat your morning cereal. :)

That reminds me, I still have to get last weeks dishes done. :D I've been so busy getting my son enrolled in school, making space for his toys and putting his clothes away, I haven't had time to do the dishes.

BTW, does having a Son disqualify you as a "Bachelor"? Or is it okay, just as long as your not living with or dating a woman?

scruffziller
10-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Use some strange tupperware containers to eat your morning cereal. :)
Forget that, steal some old Cool Whip bowls from your mom!!:D

Lord Malakite
10-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Forget that, steal some old Cool Whip bowls from your mom!!:D
Why don't you just pour the milk directly into the cereal bag while your at it? :crazed:

Exhaust Port
10-17-2003, 01:55 PM
BTW, does having a Son disqualify you as a "Bachelor"? Or is it okay, just as long as your not living with or dating a woman?
Definately not disqualified! :D A "Bachelor" is more of a state of living than a state of being. Like I said before I've been dating the same girl for 5 years and still living the bachelor lifestyle. :D I've even gotten her to eat cereal out of tupperware now.

JetsAndHeels
10-17-2003, 03:18 PM
I am totally in agreement with you on that one Exhaust Port. I have also been dating a girl for a while now (not as long as you) but am still living the bachelor lifestyle. It is by far the best way to live as long you have your own space and don't have to share it. I plan on living this way until I get married, and even then I will try my best to preserve some of it!!

scruffziller
10-21-2003, 10:07 AM
Why don't you just pour the milk directly into the cereal bag while your at it? :crazed:
ooooooooooooooooooooo genius...........:eek:

Also no bit of bar soap is ever thrown away.:D

JediTricks
10-21-2003, 11:26 PM
Actually, the milk into the cereal bag is not as good an idea as you might think. Sometimes, when you open the bag, you pull it up in the box slightly where it's glued down causing a small opening... I think you see where this is leading.

Exhaust Port
10-22-2003, 07:13 PM
If you buy those variety packages of cereal you can eat the cereal right out of those little boxes. A lot of perferated on one side that allow you to open the box, peal back the top of the wax paper interior and poor in the milk. I've done it a few times but as those boxes don't provide enough food for one meal I end up just dumping a few at a time into a larger bowl and eating the mixture.

scruffziller
11-02-2003, 05:10 PM
"Why shall thou cleaneth? It shall become dirty again."

-Scruff 3:16

Scripture from the Bachelor's Bible.:D

Oh yea basically have nothing hanging on the wall except SW figs and a few airbrush paintings I did myself. No plants either.

The 'Xir
11-03-2003, 07:54 PM
Okay Mike, I'll bite. :D Let's consider the evidence from the guy's article:

Comic books -- couldn't care less about comic books. In fact I think they're kinda lame. :)

thick glasses -- nope. I wore glasses only because I'm too sensitive to contacts. The older I got, the smaller by eyewear became. I made sure of that.

computers -- I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to computers

chess club -- I enjoy a recreational came of chess sometimes but I certainly would never join a club.

varsity jackets -- had one fo these due to my interest and participatin in athletics

and cool cars -- "cool" being a debatable term . . . my high school car was not cool by any means but it had some charm. Hey, I was broke. :D

found software conglomerates -- no chance in hell, see above comment re: my ignorance

Like everyone after high school, we mellow out -- I'm way more full of **** and vinegar now than I ever was. :D

ditch the young-wizard glasses -- nope

and develop the social skills that seemed so sorely lacking -- couldn't be further from the truth

when we were pimply youths -- ahhhh, no. I had a very decent complexion.

but we do thrive when given a little time to do our own thing -- this applies to every married man to ever walk the Earth. :D

For example, let me wander off to the computer section -- I never go there because I don't understand most of it

while you're browsing CDs at the store -- I'd be right there with her, before or after I hit the DVD section

And though I am betraying my people to share this, adhere to the strict "yes-no rule" of computer product purchases: If I come back clutching an object in a brightly colored box, let me buy it only if I didn't buy something last time we were shopping -- I don't even know what the hell he's talking about here, so I can't possibly be one of the people he is "betraying." :D

Geeks are suckers for new stuff. -- Who isn't?

We geeks are comfortable in herds -- actually, I'm embarrassed by some of the people in the lines for midnight showings of Star Wars. And the people who Triumph goofed on at the AOTC debut. :D

Conveniently, this also solves the movie problem: Our taste for multiple viewings of certain films may not appeal to you, so let us go with our friends as often as we like. Since geeks generally like movies of all kinds (we just gravitate towards those with dragons or starships over others), you can feel free to choose whatever films you'll see as a couple without fear of whining. Try that with a football star.
-- I played football and I also love all kinds of movies. Aside from Star Wars, there are no other sci-fi/dragons/starships on my top favorites list.

Here we will build our model airplanes -- nope, never happens

operate our ham radio -- wouldn't know how to do it if you put a gun to my Ephant Mon's head.

play our games, whatever, all in gleeful privacy-- I fit this bill, I like to do my own little things sometimes. But what person doesn't ?

After a school career of constant abuse -- nope, didn't happen.

Good point about my number of posts but it averages out to less than 6 per day . . . of course, that's not counting the Misc. sectin so we'll say 6 to be safe. :D

I have to head to bed now, I've got a full slate of NFL games and fantasy football to lounge around watching tomorrow. :D

Yep Caesar!!! Judging by everything you just said, you definetley sound like a geek in denial buddy! Come on man just come out of the closet already!!! :D I mean hey? I'm a total stud muffin on the outside!!! :cool: :crazed: :D but inside I'm just a 14year old SW freak geek, and I'm damn proud of it! :p :cool: oh...and I only have 391 posts! :eek: DOH!!! :p ;)

2-1B
11-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Damn you Xir ! :p

go back to your Cuse Owwwwwnge Men and your de facto fave NBA team of the Nuggets (can Carmelo win Rookie of the Year over LeBron ? :D )

2-1B
11-11-2003, 01:48 AM
I "invented" a new one today. :)

Lately I've been bothered by my lack of a soapdish on my bathroom sink because when I decide to clean the bathroom, there's all that soap crud stuck to the sink.

While going through my mail today, I received yet another annoying AOL disc in a tin case . . . instead of throwing it all out, I kept the tin case and put it to good use as a soap dish.

Problem solved. :)

bobafrett
11-11-2003, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the tip! I also got one of those damn AOL metal tin pieces of Spam snail mail. Think I'll use it as a coaster!

Exhaust Port
11-11-2003, 10:24 PM
That's a darn good idea Caeser!!!

JediTricks
11-13-2003, 10:44 PM
If you call your hamper "laundry jail", don't tell anybody.

If, while you're taking the elevator to go do your laundry, you find yourself carrying your dirty clothes and standing next to a woman, don't just blurt out "it's parole day for my underpants!".

Exhaust Port
11-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Well on my laundry days there's no such thing as whites and colors or lights and darks, it's all the same....dirty. After about 10 years of this method I've only had one problematic red shirt that even after years of washing would still bleed in the wash. I would occassionally throw it back in to my wash (I resorted to only washing it at my parents house) assuming that the dye had bled enough to stop it from damaging other clothes. Sure enough, at least one pair of socks or a shirt would fall victim to the red dye. I kept that shirt for 5-6 years and only got rid of it because I got sick of hassle in washing it. It was possessed I tell you.

scruffziller
11-20-2003, 12:25 PM
If, while you're taking the elevator to go do your laundry, you find yourself carrying your dirty clothes and standing next to a woman, don't just blurt out "it's parole day for my underpants!".
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!:D
That's too much.................

scruffziller
11-25-2003, 11:51 AM
I got another one.

When you lug your laundry basket full of clothes down the stairs it helps to save some weightage.

I usually buy the super econo pak liquid detergent. It weighs a ton.
So instead of lugging it with the laundry, I make an indentation pocket in the clothes and provide a resivoir for me to pour in the amount of detergent I need.
It won't escape because there is way too many clothes holding it in. :D Then take just the basket of clothes.

scruffziller
12-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Don't forget using an old credit card as a window frost scraper.
Also, prolong the use of your socks by turning them around when holes wear in them on the other side.

JediTricks
12-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Despite what Bud Bundy thinks, movie theaters are not a good place to meet chicks, especially when wearing a raincoat and sitting alone... unless you want to meet female cops. ;)

That credit card trick sounds like a good way to ruin your credit card. :D

bobafrett
12-27-2003, 12:23 AM
No JT, it works great, unless the ice is thick on your car, then you just have to let it warm up long enough to heat the windows, which in turn will melt the ice. I used my CC with the lowest limit though, just in case. Never had a problem with it at the stores either.

Exhaust Port
12-27-2003, 02:25 AM
I personally favor my Blockbuster card. :)

JediTricks
12-27-2003, 04:16 AM
I personally favor living in a sub-tropical environment. :D ;)

scruffziller
12-27-2003, 10:45 AM
That credit card trick sounds like a good way to ruin your credit card. :D
That is why I said use an old credit card.:p
I don't personally do it, I just broke down and bought a scraper but saw someone else doing it the other day and yelled while he was doing it......"it only costs a couple of bucks":D

scruffziller
06-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Got to revive this thread with a couple more.
If you are renting an apartment and have yearly inspections it is a huge pain to clean your oven. So buy a roaster that way you only have a pan to wash. I love it!!!! Plus you can just keep putting layers of foil down to line the bottom without having to wash it so often.

bigbarada
06-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Being in the Army and living in the barracks for ten years has taught me a lot.

First off, I do separate my whites and colors, since socks tend to turn grey if you don't bleach them occasionally and that doesn't look good when you're standing in formation in your PT (Physical Training) uniform. Soldiers getting surprise room inspections based solely on discolored socks was not uncommon where I was.

Now that I am out of the military I still separate my laundry, mostly out of habit.

I learned how to iron clothes and spit shine boots (stuff I never do anymore) along with cooking all of my own meals.

"Too hot" or "too spicy" don't exist in my vocabulary when I'm cooking. Jalapenos, cayenne pepper sauce, chile powder, pepper, garlic, salt and chipotle sauce are all common staples. And that's just when I'm cooking scrambled eggs. :sur:

BTW, flour tortillas, spaghetti sauce, grated parmesan cheese and sliced pepperonis make awesome little personal pizzas (just microwave for about 30 seconds). :) But don't use low-carb tortillas unless you like eating your pizza with a spoon.

Once I ran out of toilet paper and used those brown paper towels, the ones you find in public restrooms, for about 3 months. I scoured myself clean everyday. :eek:

JediTricks
06-29-2004, 08:11 PM
Scruff, I'll take your oven advice one step further and suggest using roasting bags! :D

Dr Zoltar
06-30-2004, 06:22 PM
"Too hot" or "too spicy" don't exist in my vocabulary when I'm cooking. Jalapenos, cayenne pepper sauce, chile powder, pepper, garlic, salt and chipotle sauce are all common staples. And that's just when I'm cooking scrambled eggs.
I have family and friends that were in the military and all do this as well. They tried to teach me that tabasco could be added to anything to make it taste better. Did you pick this up in basic training?

scruffziller
07-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Scruff, I'll take your oven advice one step further and suggest using roasting bags! :D
Well I did use covered roasting pans to put in my oven but even with those lids covering the cooking food, grease still splashes out somehow.

Once I ran out of toilet paper and used those brown paper towels, the ones you find in public restrooms, for about 3 months. I scoured myself clean everyday. :eek:
HUH????????:eek:
Were you trapped in a bomb shelter??:D Or did you just forget for 3 months to buy some?

scruffziller
01-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Back with some more. I found out, (just now:rolleyes: ) that with more bathroom rugs you can cover up the lenolium so not so much of it gets dirty for you to clean.

Also one advantage to making your house seem cleaner, use low lighting. It is amazing how much dust appeared on my keyboard and in the corners of my bedroom when I got a new brighter lightbulb.:D Also when I have inspections I replace all the bulbs in the lamps in my living room with party bulbs. Ones that are tinted blue, red, etc. so the landlord can't see too well if he turns them on.

JediTricks
01-21-2005, 05:57 PM
One note on those bathroom rugs, if you're not careful they mildew so the solution becomes more of a problem than the original issue was to begin with.

I totally change the bulbs whenever I have inspections, I have these 10-watt amber bulbs that I put into both hall globe lamps built into the walls, it puts out this horridly unappealing light but also covers up some major carpet probs. :D

Slicker
01-21-2005, 06:16 PM
When I get out of the shower I shake off all of the excess water on the floor then after I'm done in the bathroom I'll take the shirt I was wearing before showering and I'll clean the floor with the water shaken off on it.

I also clean the bathroom with TP and water.

JediTricks
01-21-2005, 07:56 PM
A real bachelor never cleans his bathroom! ;)

Slicker
01-22-2005, 12:47 AM
Ah, you got me. Define bachlor. I live with my friend and his wife so I don't know if I count. We rarely see each other (different shifts at work) and we also have 2 bathrooms and unfortunately mine is the one that tends to get used as the community bathroom since it's in the front of the apartment so I have to keep it clean. My room is a mess if that's any consulation.:D

scruffziller
01-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Ah, you got me. Define bachlor. I live with my friend and his wife so I don't know if I count. We rarely see each other (different shifts at work) and we also have 2 bathrooms and unfortunately mine is the one that tends to get used as the community bathroom since it's in the front of the apartment so I have to keep it clean. My room is a mess if that's any consulation.:D

That sounded like the situation I had in the place I previously lived 9 years ago. Except there was only one bathroom and my friend's girlfriend(soon to be wife) would always take forever in the bathroom in the morning. Not that I had to be anywhere, but I had to use the bathroom REALLY bad. I felt embarrased to ask her to hurry up so I would go outside and relieve myself. It was a trailer court and it was right next to a busy highway so it wasn't easy trying to hide so I could let nature take its course.:D Oh and my room was mess too.

kool-aid killer
07-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Well, i may now include myself in this thread since i now live "on my own," though my older brother lives with me too. Right off the bat, it sucks. I come home from work and there isnt anybody here. I have to do my own laundry and cook for myself. These past two weeks ive managed to stay alive eating nothing but Hot Pockets for dinner. I need to learn how to cook some simple things, or else im going to be looking like the male version of Lindsay Lohan, nasty skinny. Thankfully im more or less a clean person so i dont make much of a mess that i will have to fix up later. But the good news is i now have a spare room that i can toss all my toys into. My room finally has room! This is KAK, signing off on the Bachelor thread.

Bosskman
07-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Here's some stuff I did/do, mostly learned while away at school or with the army, in no particular order (with a high emphasis on mooching):

-lived in a tent in my sister's living room for 1 and a half years while I was going to college in Moncton.
-ate the cheapest subway sub for lunch 5 days a week (six inch veggie) and after 2 weeks and 10 stamps got a real sub that had actual meat in it.
-lived off bread and water for months at a time.
-change my sheets once every few months
-cook and eat out of the same pot
-have one mug I use for water and wash it every few weeks
-freeze my mother's or someone else's cooking and eat it periodically between visits home
-walk home after being out drinking to save on cab fare (it helps you sober up too)
-walk pretty much everywhere I go
-save grocery bags to use as garbage bags
-have freinds live with me for free from time to time and eat their food and use their stuff
-lived at the armories
-don't go to the gym, but run instead (it's free)
-buy my clothes from Frenchy's
-shave my own head to save on barber costs
-have one knife/fork/spoon that I use for everything
-change my underwear every few days
-keep wearing my socks and underwear even after they get holes in them
-wear clothes that aren't "dirty" many times between washes
-at social events my freinds usually give me liquor because I say and do stupid things when I'm drunk for their amusement (well at least it saves money)
-once me and my roomate each made 60 bucks turning in bottles we saved from parties and stuff

That's all I can think of right now.

scruffziller
07-02-2005, 06:22 PM
-keep wearing my socks and underwear even after they get holes in them

Dude!!!

I still have a few pairs of underwear that are over 10 years old!!! For some reason they have never fallen apart and I still wash them and wear them.:D

JetsAndHeels
07-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Let me just say, a pair of boxers does not have to be totally intact to be considered "wearable." I speak from experience, having some pair I bought several years back and are just barely hanging on. :)
We (and I mean mostly us bachelors, but all men too I guess) could wear boxers until they totally disintegrated and dissappeared into thin air. :)

Bosskman
07-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Jango, you took the words right out of my mouth. In fact, I'm wearing a pair of glo-in-the-dark Homer Simpson boxers right now that haven't had a crotch in them for at least 2 years. (BTW, I didn't know they glowed in the dark when I bought them, I discovered it one night when I got out of bed to go to the bathroom, and when I went back into my dark room it freaked me right out)

On another note, Lipton Sidekicks take even less of an effort to prepare than Kraft Dinner, and there is so much more variety......

IMPs from the army are pretty sweet too if you can get your hands on them, you'd be surprised how much is leftover from a weekend exercise that people just throw away. I can't tell you how many baked cherry deserts I fished out of the garbage........plus they're packed full of sulphites. I don't know what those are exactly but they gotta be good for you if you get them from the army........

mabudonicus
07-03-2005, 10:28 AM
plus they're packed full of sulphites. I don't know what those are exactly but they gotta be good for you if you get them from the army........
Hmmm maybe the shorts don't glow all by themselves after all ;)
:beard:

kool-aid killer
07-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Lately i havent been wearing socks, i figure thats less laundry i have to do. May start freeballing too, but thats raises some concerns... :eek:

You want to know how sad and disorganized i am? I recently discovered that i only had two spoons so in an attempt to bolster that number i bought a Frosted Flakes box that had a Star Wars light up one inside. My luck, it was red AGAIN. :mad:

Being a bachelor has proven to be humbling, i dont even have a freaking toaster to make me a sandwich. Things i took for granted are now coming back to bite me in the can. Real life sucks, i should have never grown up. :cry:

scruffziller
07-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Real life sucks, i should have never grown up. :cry:

Right with you on that.:)

CaptainSolo1138
07-05-2005, 02:51 PM
I'll share a couple of my faves:

*Use CDs (the crappy ones, obviously) for coasters.
*Using Tupperware for cereal/soup (mentioned before, but it bears repeating!)
*The more ashes you let cake to the bottom of the ashtray, the easier they are to put out.
*As for the splitting of laundry, I bleach my socks and T-shirts every few washes, other than that they can get washed with whatever.
*I blow my nose in a dirty T-shirt. It holds up better than Kleenex and is alot less expensive. Besides, I'm washing the damn things anyway!

JediTricks
07-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Why would a bachelor need coasters?

CaptainSolo1138
07-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Why would a bachelor need coasters?
Fewer condensation rings=More PS2 time :D

JediTricks
07-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Ah, but no tables = no condensation rings to worry about. :p

... not that I would even bother worrying about those rings if I did, like I care if my tables have rings stained in or not. ;) And now I must return to Spider-man 2 on my Playstation2. :D

CaptainSolo1138
07-06-2005, 07:47 AM
like I care if my tables have rings stained in or not. ;)
I'm not as big on the CD "law" anymore (ask Slicker or Rocketboy. I used to be a coaster Nazi). When I first moved out of my parents house I bought a houseful of new furniture, so I used to be super protective of the stuff (coasters, dusting every day, etc....). But now that they have a few years on them (and the coffee table had to be refinished after a moving day accident) I'm not as picky.

And out of curiosity, how can one live out of a laundry hamper? Don't the clothes get wrinkled? Or do you resort to "the bachelor's iron" to fix this? :D
(BTW, I fold and put my clothes away in an organized fashion. Damn, I'm feeling more like Ben Affleck every day......)

JetsAndHeels
07-06-2005, 02:08 PM
This has probably been mentioned in the thread before, but I have found that my dog (and sometimes the cat, if he is awake) can be the best vacuum for food on the floor. I learned this especially on Monday when I dropped a bowl of cereal on the kitchen floor. The dog cleaned it right up. No mess.

scruffziller
07-06-2005, 02:54 PM
And out of curiosity, how can one live out of a laundry hamper? Don't the clothes get wrinkled? Or do you resort to "the bachelor's iron" to fix this? :D
(BTW, I fold and put my clothes away in an organized fashion. Damn, I'm feeling more like Ben Affleck every day......)

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!:eek: This is you!!!!

You are banished from that hallowed halls of the bachelor brotherhood if you are turning into Ben Affleck!!!!......folding and putting your clothes away.....pfffffffttt.......:rolleyes:

:D

CaptainSolo1138
07-06-2005, 03:01 PM
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!:eek: This is you!!!!

You are banished from that hallowed halls of the bachelor brotherhood if you are turning into Ben Affleck!!!!......folding and putting your clothes away.....pfffffffttt.......:rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be Affleck. It's just relative. :p

Rocketboy
07-06-2005, 07:11 PM
I'm not trying to be Affleck. It's just relative. :pThen what's with all the posters with hearts all over them?

JediTricks
07-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Wrinkles? There are 2 answers to that: let the dry cleaner worry about that; or; who gives a crap about wrinkles?

Between the coasters and the wrinkled clothing, I'm starting to suspect you aren't a bachelor at all. :p

CaptainSolo1138
07-07-2005, 07:57 AM
Between the coasters and the wrinkled clothing, I'm starting to suspect you aren't a bachelor at all. :p
I'm not "legally" a bachelor, but as stated several pages back, it's more of a mind set. :D I just like fresh clothes.

Also, JT, I forgot to mention in previous posts that I have one of the aforementioned cupboards-full-of-plastic-bags. And no, I don't use them.

kool-aid killer
07-07-2005, 11:50 AM
I think Tycho would deem you a "False Bachelor." When it comes to laundry, im only wearing white shirts nowadays. Makes laundry day so much easier when you dont have to sort things out by color. Speaking of, i need to buy more white t's (Foot Locker and another shoe/sporting goods store both sell them 5 for $20) that way i can push laundry dates back further.

TheDarthVader
07-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I think Caesar should be an honorary bachelor.

B.
TDV

JediTricks
07-08-2005, 03:17 AM
Bah, "fresh clothes" are just a lie created by the married people to sucker you into wasting significant portions of your life folding and ironing laundry. :p If I wanted to wear a totally unwrinkled shirt, I'd buy a new one! :D

Cupboards full of bags aren't really a bachelor thing, but as a bachelor we are responsible only for ourselves now and don't have to take "suggestions" about wasting entire sections of our kitchen storage on something we won't really use and could simply get a million more of free at the store anyway. The only bags really worth keeping are Target bags, they're thicker, make less noise, almost never have holes, and are easy to store flat. I find I use those enough for various stuff, like bathroom waste can liners, that I never build up a stock of 'em. Man, I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff. :crazed:

KAK, I buy those 5-for-$20 shirts at Foot Locker too, they're pretty good. I like the colors more than the white ones though, the white ones are too tightly knit (or something like that) compared to the others which feel more free and loose.

Ji'dai
07-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I always use coasters since I drink a lot of iced tea and the glass condensation leaves major pools of water wherever I set my glass. Eventually even the coasters become soaking wet. I usually take those complimentary coasters from restaurants like Olive Garden (thin) or Outback (nice 'n thick).

I'll grab extra crackers, condiments, and sweetener when I'm at restaurants too and take 'em with me for later.

I hate ironing but usually do it since I like my shirts unwrinkled. I've been tempted to buy one of those portable steam irons but not sure if they work well or not.

I keep plastic store bags too and use 'em for waste basket liners. Target ones are nice but I have to make do with Wal-Mart ones since the closest Target is 70 miles away. After filling a bag with plastic action figure bubbles I'll take it back to Wal-Mart and toss it in their trash before going into the store to look for more figs. It's kinda like recycling that way.

scruffziller
07-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Well slap my hands....

I use coasters......:o

JediTricks
07-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Man, I swear, I'm surrounded by women in this thread. ;) I am of course kidding, but you guys are way neater than our stereotypical bachelor here. :D

JetsAndHeels
07-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Man, I swear, I'm surrounded by women in this thread. ;) I am of course kidding, but you guys are way neater than our stereotypical bachelor here. :D

Don't worry, I am proud to say I am 100% bachelor to the core.
:D :D

JediTricks
07-12-2005, 01:55 AM
Careful, in this day and age, that could be misinterpretted. :p

JetsAndHeels
07-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Careful, in this day and age, that could be misinterpretted. :p

LoL!!

Thats true, but there is nothing wrong with being proud to be a bachelor!!
lol lol

JimJamBonds
07-14-2005, 11:31 AM
How about when a vacuum person comes to your place you listen to their little talk, you even feint interest in their product. Then he/she cleans a hallway or something then when they ask if you want to buy a $1k + vacuum you say no. That way you got your carpet cleaned by a pro for nothing! :D

CaptainSolo1138
07-14-2005, 11:47 AM
I'd keep telling them "I'm really interested. Perhaps you should come back" until my whole house was clean. I'd even make him get out the under-the-couch-cushion attachment, "just to make sure it works how I want it to". :D

JimJamBonds
07-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I'd keep telling them "I'm really interested. Perhaps you should come back" until my whole house was clean. I'd even make him get out the under-the-couch-cushion attachment, "just to make sure it works how I want it to". :D

Don't forget to ask them to get the cushion's too. It seem rather amazing how a cushion can get so dirty.

JediTricks
07-15-2005, 08:32 PM
Vacuum salesmen? What is this, the 1940s? :p I have never had one come to my door in all these years. I wouldn't trust 'em though, what was that movie where the guy dumps the dirt on the couch and then the vacuum won't clean it up?

JetsAndHeels
07-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah, those vacuum sales people still come by. I had some visit my place last summer and it was very weird. It was a group of 2 ladies and 1 guy, driving a very suspicious looking van. They pretty much busted into the house before I could say I wasn't interested, and it made me feel quite uncomfortable. Finally I just had to get ugly with them and tell them to get out or I was callin the cops. It's one thing to ask nicely, but to barge in and start a demonstration without getting permission is another.

JimJamBonds
07-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Vacuum salesmen? What is this, the 1940s? :p I have never had one come to my door in all these years. I wouldn't trust 'em though, what was that movie where the guy dumps the dirt on the couch and then the vacuum won't clean it up?

From what I've heard/saw it was generally college age female or two who do the pitching. A bit later a second/third person may come in to join the fun. They tended to be easy on the eyes if you catch my drift ;) and knew how silly it was trying to sell high priced vacuum's to college age people. A roommate once offered a one a beer for her efforts, I belive she took it and happily drank it as long as he wouldn't tell her co-worker. :)

Bosskman
07-16-2005, 09:24 AM
One came to my parent's place years ago, and my freind used to be one for a while, so yes, they do exist.

kool-aid killer
07-29-2005, 12:57 AM
I need to learn how to pick fruits. I just got back from a 24 hour Walmart and i went with the intention of looking at the Star Wars toys, they didnt have anything so i went to the produce section looking for plums. I get there and find them but am completely clueless in regards to getting good ones. I felt so helpless. I asked an associate but she didnt know either. In the end i scooped about six of them up and grabbed some apples. I really wanted to get watermelons, strawberries, oranges, kiwis, cantalopes, and mangos too but i didnt know which ones were good and which ones werent. Im upset right now.

JediTricks
07-29-2005, 03:31 PM
The stores usually have a plastic looseleaf booklet on a stand explaining what to look for, but sometimes they can be overly-optimistic. I too had a lot of trouble figuring out what I wanted in terms of ripeness, and I am a nut for unblemeshed fruit so I am mega-picky.

Green apples are the easiest, they should be deep green not light, the skin can be smooth or have little mottled white spots, they shouldn't be soft in any way (storage tip: they can survive for months in the fridge). Other apples are basically the same, underripe is the biggest thing to look out for, their color will be too light or greenish (unless they're supposed to be green) or uneven.

I have no advice for pears as I don't eat 'em usually. They seem to be like apples in terms of choosing them, but a little softer.

Strawberries that you're going to immediately eat should be slightly on the dark side of red (no light red or white areas), no significant bruises, none smashed up against the sides turning into mush, and the green leaf part shouldn't be grody as this can lead to mold almost instantly. Oh, and they should have a pleasant strawberry smell, as well as another which I'll explain in a moment. I get terrible mileage out of storing 'em, so I just eat 'em ASAP, and I don't refridgerate them because that deactivates one of their flavor aspects. Strawberries put out a lot of ethylene gas (the substance that makes fruit ripen, bananas put out even more) which can be a bit odd-smelling but is natural, however that ripening thing is powerful so make sure you keep them in a cool, well-ventilated area as they can go from ripe to overripe very quickly and even take nearby fruits with them to fruit heaven. Tomatoes are pretty much the same, especially the little ones, but they're easier to figure out and not quite as quick to ripen.

Bananas shouldn't be black, that means they're about to ripen to mush, a few spots are ok but don't wait too long on those. If they're green you'll need to ripen them lest you end up with the runs.

Plums shouldn't be hard and when you squeeze 'em a little they should give but return, not mush in easily; they should have even, deep color. It can be really hard to find great plums, but if they're cheap enough it's worth risking slightly underripe ones (though I think they may never ripen at all). Peaches and Apricots and such are basically in the same boat, the hardness factor changes a little, and with them you have to watch for green in their overall color because it may mean they'll never ripen at all.

Oranges should be uniform in color and fairly... orange. No soft spots or wrinkling skin, that means overripeness and an unpleasant musky flavor. It's pretty easy to pick oranges, tangerines require a little more effort because they ripen faster.

Melons in general should have smooth, uncracked surfaces free of blemishes. They should be heavy for their size, and in the case of the watermelon, the light patch at the bottom should be small and more yellow than white.

Grapes shouldn't have a bunch of loose ones at the bottom of the bag, the stem should be green instead of brown & dead, and you shouldn't see many "dying" grapes. Grapes can be a mystery even with all that going on, so you should do a taste-test before buying, even the finest-looking grapes can be too sour or even fermented (slight effervescent thing going on, not good).

Cherries should be darker in color (unless they're the yellow Raineer - or however it's spelled - ones) and even, try to avoid any dead ones as they can set off a chain reaction. Most fruits hate being in plastic bags as they don't breathe and keep moisture in contact with the skin which leads to rotting, apples seem to take well to plastic but cherries loathe those bags the most, so get them into something else when you can, paper bags with lots of space, and make sure there's enough breathing room for them.

Slicker
07-29-2005, 05:44 PM
I'm now gonna question your bachelorness after that long metrosexual style post JT.:p

Kidhuman
07-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Watermelons should sound hollow if ya knock on them too.

JediTricks
07-31-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm now gonna question your bachelorness after that long metrosexual style post JT.:pHEY! Nobody questions my dedication to the quality of foodstuffs, NOBODY!!! :mad:

KH, thumping watermelons is too generalistic, there are other melons where that works but with watermelons the sounds are fairly inconsistant, you can get a general idea of how much water has been released from the starches, but in terms of actual quality of watermelons you can't really tell much from the sound.

Kidhuman
08-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Hell it works for me JT. I usually douse it in Vodka anyways.

Rocketboy
08-01-2005, 01:58 PM
There's only 1 kind of melon bachelor's should be intersested in.
And it hasn't been listed here yet.

You guys call yourselves bachelors...

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2005, 02:25 PM
There's only 1 kind of melon bachelor's should be intersested in.
And it hasn't been listed here yet.

You guys call yourselves bachelors...
I know. Honeydew is freakin' fantastic!

BTW, if you ever dust, use an old sock (not that one!) and wear it like a glove. It's good for about twenty uses since you can keep switching spots.

JediTricks
08-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Hell it works for me JT. I usually douse it in Vodka anyways.
Then you might as well just thump your head for all the good that'll do you. :p

Sorry Rocketboy, but that's just lame... like married guys don't like women too. :D

Rocketboy
08-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Sorry Rocketboy, but that's just lame... like married guys don't like women too. :DI never said I didn't like women...I just said you so called "bachelors" should be focusing on the other types of melons, instead of the fruit melons.

You know, like us REAL men do.

Slicker
08-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Sorry Rocketboy, but that's just lame... like married guys don't like women too. :DThey must not or else they wouldn't have gotten married. Why have one woman when you can have many women. Besides, I here you get cut off when you get married anyways.:p

kool-aid killer
08-02-2005, 11:38 AM
So fellow bachelors, why is it that at one Walmart my Hot Pockets cost $1.98 apiece yet at another one across the city they go for $1.60 instead? Needless to say i went with the $1.60 store. Those little things have been the only reason im still alive out here on my own. Lord forbid the microwave should break down because i will be sunk. But does anyone else know of any other good type of microwavable food? Im desperate for some variety. There are only so many good Hot Pockets variations, the rest look nasty.

CaptainSolo1138
08-02-2005, 11:47 AM
But does anyone else know of any other good type of microwavable food? Im desperate for some variety.
You've touched on my speciality, KAK! :D

The Banquet "Family Size" Broccoli, Chicken, Cheese and Rice entree is a freakin' sweet stand alone meal. It's just enough to fill you up and it doesn't get as sickening as you would think.

Also, the "Hungry Man XXL" meals are really good. It's a pound and a half of food, so it should be more than enough to keep you full for a while.

The "Hungry Man Sports Grill" meals are good, too. I really like the beer battered chicken strips and cheese fries. I have the cheese fries and cheeseburger meal (I never said these things were good for you :) )in the freezer right now, but I've never had that one before so I can't comment on it too much. It looks good though.

kool-aid killer
08-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Cool, and i was looking at the Hungry Man XXLs yesterday while out shopping so i may just pick one or two up and give them a try. Just one question, how do the fries hold up after being in the microwave? I hate squishy fries to the fullest so i would be reluctant to get anything that produces them.

CaptainSolo1138
08-02-2005, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't call the fries "crisp" by any means, and the cheese sauce further detracts from that. They taste great, though.

kool-aid killer
08-02-2005, 12:18 PM
As much as i hate squishy fries, the cheese may redeem them...

But its settled, next time i go to the grocery store i will get one. Who knows, maybe its what im looking for.

Slicker
08-02-2005, 04:14 PM
I absolutely love Hungry Man XXL meals. And like my bro CS1138 my fav is the Beer Battered Chicken with Cheese Fries. Believe it or not I have one of them bad boys in the oven right now for dinner. Only 20 more minutes.

Also, KAK, REAL bachelors don't look for deals. I just buy what looks good then my roommates go out later in the day to actually buy healthy food. No lie.

JediTricks
08-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Hungry Man dinners have a lot of fat and salt, naturally, but take a look at their All Day Breakfast, that one had me laughing out loud in the aisles when I first saw it. 1,030 calories, 64g of fat (98% of your USRDA), 2,090g of sodium (87% of your USRDA), and a whopping 690mg of cholesterol (231% of your USRDA). YOW!!!

(BTW, the breakfast is the king of cholesterol, but somehow their XXL Turkey Dinner is the king of sodium, coming in at 5,410mg of sodium, or 235% of your USRDA.)

Slicker
08-02-2005, 05:00 PM
If you want something that tastes good and doesn't take much effort you're gonna have to sacrifice something. And that something just happens to be your health.:crazed:

JediTricks
08-02-2005, 05:27 PM
C'mon, that's a heart attack on a plastic tray, if you're going to fritter your life away for flavor, at least go to McDonalds or Jack in the Box or KFC or Carl's Jr (um, "Hardees" for some of you, I gather) where the food is actually TASTY and even then not the mushy death blossom that is the Hungry Man line.

Slicker
08-02-2005, 05:31 PM
mushy death blossom that is the Hungry Man line.Where do you come up with this stuff JT.

Don't get me wrong I love fast food but I just got done washing my truck and really didn't want to go back out into the blistering sun to get food and I have plenty of Hungry Man dinners so I threw one in the oven and made do with what I had.

JediTricks
08-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Whoa whoa whoa! The OVEN?!? You mean the "microwave oven" right... right? Because the real oven takes like an hour and a half to cook these, doesn't it? That's long enough to take the damn bus to the fast food joints! :D Even the microwave takes like 15-20 mins on these bigger ones, if I remember correctly -- when I am a "hungry man", I ain't waiting no 20 minutes for mushy nuker food that has cold spots in it, waiting for food is the very antithesis of being a bachelor.

Bosskman
08-02-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm waiting for my McLobster right now . Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

kool-aid killer
08-03-2005, 01:18 AM
I absolutely love Hungry Man XXL meals. And like my bro CS1138 my fav is the Beer Battered Chicken with Cheese Fries. Believe it or not I have one of them bad boys in the oven right now for dinner. Only 20 more minutes.

Also, KAK, REAL bachelors don't look for deals. I just buy what looks good then my roommates go out later in the day to actually buy healthy food. No lie.

The broke bachelors do...

Ive had to be smart about what i buy or else i would be leaving the store with Captain Crunch, Fruit Loops, Oreo, and Smores cereal, along with various types of fruit snacks, pop tarts, kool-aid, jumex, doughnuts, ice cream, and cheese sticks stuffed into the cart.

I refuse to use the oven, which is why i have yet to buy any type of frozen pizza. The food takes too long for my tastes.

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2005, 08:48 AM
I refuse to use the oven, which is why i have yet to buy any type of frozen pizza. The food takes too long for my tastes.
BAH! The big ones only take 15 minutes or so. I think some of them are well worth the wait.

I can't believe Slicker still puts TV Dinners in the oven. I know Mom raised you better than that. I looked at the conventional oven directions and it takes 40-50 minutes to heat. 40-50 MINUTES?!?!?!? I'd rather make the things from scratch myself! Microwave for 10 minutes (which is a long time, but pales in comparison to 40-50 minutes the other way) and you get the same results.

Ji'dai
08-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Man, those Hungry Man meals sound awful. I can feel my arteries clogging just reading the toxins in them. If you're really in a hurry, you can always get a tube of Farmer Dan's Cooked Smoked Sausage: Just Squeeze and Swaller!

It doesn't take long to boil a boneless skinless chicken breast, heat up a can of green beans or corn, nuke a potato, and heck, might as well toast a couple brown and serve rolls to go with it. Good meal.

For tonight, I'm boiling some chicken breast and cooking some pasta. Then I chop up the chicken breast and mix that with the pasta in a oven safe dish with Ragu Alfredo sauce, frozen peas, green pepper, and some Mozarella. Stick it in the oven for a little bit and bam - chicken pasta alfredo.

CaptainSolo1138
08-03-2005, 03:37 PM
For tonight, I'm boiling some chicken breast and cooking some pasta. Then I chop up the chicken breast and mix that with the pasta in a oven safe dish with Ragu Alfredo sauce, frozen peas, green pepper, and some Mozarella. Stick it in the oven for a little bit and bam - chicken pasta alfredo.
Do you want some company? :D

I think I'll be having Taco Bell again. They have Cheesy Gordita Crunch's back!

Bosskman
08-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Anything food with the words "beer", "batter" or "cheese" in it HAS to be good. All three are even better. I wonder what a cheesy gordita crunch would be like deep fried in beer batter...........

scruffziller
08-03-2005, 07:10 PM

HECK YEA!!!!!!!!!!:D

I am definately in good company when people are singing the praises of the BEER BATTERED CHICKEN AND CHEESE FRIES!!!!!!!!!!!

That is certainly a popular item for lunch time at WM on the night shift. And popular in general. Of all the Hungry Mans on the freezer shelf, it is the most depleted.

JediTricks
08-04-2005, 05:21 PM
BAH! The big ones only take 15 minutes or so. I think some of them are well worth the wait.This is true, frozen pizza usually cooks up fast when you put it directly on the oven rack (follow directions, I know it's tough being as we're all manly, instructions-ignoring bachelors, but this is PIZZA for god's sake!!!) I guess because the frozen pizza is thin and has a lot of surface area. However, the oven preheating time can take another 10 to 20 minutes, and the better quality the pizza, the longer it takes usually.

Ji'dai, sounds like you have a good meal planned out... I hate you. :p (Envy, the most seductive of all bachelor sins)

Ji'dai
08-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Yes, it was a good meal. Very satisfying. In fact, there was enough for three evening meals. So I don't have to cook for two days afterward. I can eat practically the same meal every day and it doesn't bother me. Especially chicken, man I love chicken.

scruffziller
08-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Just to list for self's sake. As a bachelor(and I cook a ton more than picking up already made food), when I make something I make large quatities of it so I can have several meals of it with out having to make it again. LARGE POT OF SPAGGETTI!!!!!!!!!! HUGE BRISKET ROAST!!!!! WITH A SACK OF POTATOS THROWN IN!!!!!!!!!!:crazed:

JediTricks
08-05-2005, 04:33 PM
There's a danger in that though, making a large pot of spaghetti for multi-day use can end up being eaten in 1 night, talk about a hungry man dinner! :D

scruffziller
08-06-2005, 03:59 PM
There's a danger in that though, making a large pot of spaghetti for multi-day use can end up being eaten in 1 night, talk about a hungry man dinner! :D

Duley noted. However I am proud to say that the minimum amount I have only ever eaten that large pot of spagehtti is in 2 nights. The rest of the time is 3 or 4 nights.

DarthQuack
08-06-2005, 06:18 PM
A nice pasta bowl and hot pockets for dinner tonight, since I'm at work :( Anyone have any Price Choppers around them? The best place to go for good deals, buy 1 get one frees and what not.

Fluke Skywalker
08-07-2005, 10:01 PM
BAH! The big ones only take 15 minutes or so. I think some of them are well worth the wait.

I can't believe Slicker still puts TV Dinners in the oven. I know Mom raised you better than that. I looked at the conventional oven directions and it takes 40-50 minutes to heat. 40-50 MINUTES?!?!?!? I'd rather make the things from scratch myself! Microwave for 10 minutes (which is a long time, but pales in comparison to 40-50 minutes the other way) and you get the same results.

I'm still a convential oven man myself. The Nuke-a-wave is good for some things, but I still prefer the oven if time permits.

Bosskman
08-08-2005, 06:06 AM
I agree conventional oven is best for most things, if time permits.

kool-aid killer
08-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Anybody ever try to stick a frozen pizza in the microwave? Any idea if the end result comes out okay? Ive got a appetite for frozen pizza but really dont have the time for sticking it in the oven and whatnot. And heres another dumb question, to boil water do i have to turn on one of things on top of the oven or can i just pour hot water into a bowl and booyah!? Looking at the price of things while at the grocery store earlier, noodles are very cheap. Any idea if i could microwave those too? Lazy KAK, signing out.

JediTricks
08-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Duley noted. However I am proud to say that the minimum amount I have only ever eaten that large pot of spagehtti is in 2 nights. The rest of the time is 3 or 4 nights.When I was living in Phoenix I would occasionally come home from a hard day of work and throw an entire 1lb package of spaghetti into a pot, then demolish it that night before my roommate got home. :D That's fine when you've burned yourself out at work all day and then rode a bicycle home in the searing heat, but once you're not that active it can catch up with ya fast.

Anybody ever try to stick a frozen pizza in the microwave? Any idea if the end result comes out okay? It depends GREATLY on the pizza and whether it comes with a crisping tray/disk or not. There's one frozen mini pizza that comes like 5 in a vertical bag, those are pretty good in the nuke, and Trader Joes makes a few pizzas that nuke alright, but even when it's good it's never AS good as the oven.

Ive got a appetite for frozen pizza but really dont have the time for sticking it in the oven and whatnot. Some frozen pizzas take only 5 minutes in the oven and you just throw 'em on the rack so no baking sheet or nothing to clean up (except the oven when that pizza cheese bubbles off :p), so if you can afford the preheat time you'll end up with a much more satisfying pizza than from the microwave in nearly the same amount of time.

And heres another dumb question, to boil water do i have to turn on one of things on top of the oven or can i just pour hot water into a bowl and booyah!?You mean for a cup o noodles? It depends on how hot your tap water is, if it's pretty hot then it will work but you'll need to stir it more before eating.

Looking at the price of things while at the grocery store earlier, noodles are very cheap. Any idea if i could microwave those too? Cup o Noodles are a pain in the arse to nuke because they boil over at least half the time, it's *possible* though most brands have removed the instructions for microwave because of failure (generally it's like 3 minutes on high), what I do is just heat up the water in a separate cup for 3 minutes then pour it into the noodles and let it steep for another 3.

If you mean the bags of ramen though, such as Nissin's Top Ramen, they're prepared differently so I gather microwaving them is more of an chore and slower than doing it on the stove. I think they have some convoluted nuke instructions on the bag though.

Slicker
08-09-2005, 02:55 AM
I myself am a frozen pizza man. But some of them just ruins them if you put 'em in the microwave such as the DiGiorno ones. Those are well worth the wait to put 'em in the oven. That is by far my favorite frozen pizza brand.

kool-aid killer
08-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Crap. I guess im going to need to learn how to boil water and use the oven then.

I love Digiornos frozen pizza too. Im a big fan of the frozen pizzas that have a good crust once the product is fully cooked. The crust makes the pizza in my opinion.

mabudonicus
08-10-2005, 08:47 AM
hey Killah-
If you want a real good way to boil water, get one of them "automatic kettles"... it is a GREAT thing- they use less energy (if ya pay bills that's a good thing) and they heat the water up REAL quick- we have one in the kitchen that I use for everything- making tea in the morning, making them quick noodles, instant oatmeal, you name it. you just fill it up with water and push the switch down, you'll hear the "pop" when it's done... I know it ain't no microwave, but it's a handy thing- plus nothing gets dirty, you can pour the hot water right into whatever you're making and then just put the kettle back on the counter

you can get one of them for like 15 bucks at most places and they are a real time and electricity saver, I would be lost without ours :beard:

CaptainSolo1138
08-10-2005, 09:00 AM
And since you seem big on saving time, throw a pinch or three of salt in the water you intend to boil. It speeds the process up! :D

kool-aid killer
08-10-2005, 11:21 AM
hey Killah-
If you want a real good way to boil water, get one of them "automatic kettles"... it is a GREAT thing- they use less energy (if ya pay bills that's a good thing) and they heat the water up REAL quick- we have one in the kitchen that I use for everything- making tea in the morning, making them quick noodles, instant oatmeal, you name it. you just fill it up with water and push the switch down, you'll hear the "pop" when it's done... I know it ain't no microwave, but it's a handy thing- plus nothing gets dirty, you can pour the hot water right into whatever you're making and then just put the kettle back on the counter

you can get one of them for like 15 bucks at most places and they are a real time and electricity saver, I would be lost without ours :beard:

That sounds awesome, next time i go to the store im not leaving without one. As long as its quick and simple im sold on it.

JediTricks
08-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Target has an electric kettle for $9, I believe. It's actually faster than a microwave to boil water. I think it requires decalcification on the heating element though, since minerals in the water end up depositing themselves firmly upon its metal surface.

mabudonicus
08-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Yes, that's the ticket JT, and as scary as it sounds, De Calcification can be easily and quickly accomplished by boiling about a cup of white vinegar in the thing, then rinsing it out, and it only needs to be done every several months :beard:
Hopefully Mr.Killah will post his thoughts once he is hooked up with one

CaptainSolo1138
08-12-2005, 08:56 AM
White vinegar is also good for cleaning out coffee makers. Run it through a couple times and then run water through three or four times to get out the remnents. It stinks something fierce but, like with the electric Kettle, the results are well worth it.

JediTricks
08-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Yes, that's the ticket JT, and as scary as it sounds, De Calcification can be easily and quickly accomplished by boiling about a cup of white vinegar in the thing, then rinsing it out, and it only needs to be done every several months :beard:Yeah, I remember doing that a lot with my steamer, of course that one burns off nearly all the water which speeds up calcification so it had to be done weekly. The vinegar actually ended up pocking the heating element though, which is why the instructions on my rice cooker say not to use vinegar for that one because it's got a more sensitive heating unit.

kool-aid killer
08-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Im currently eating Krafts Easy Mac. For the most part im content with it, decent price and the macaroni doesnt taste too bad. The only problem im having is distributing the cheese powder around evenly so that it doesnt bunch up in one area and leave the rest plain. Hopefully it will taste like it should next time i try to make it.

Ji'dai
08-24-2005, 10:10 PM
I like the shells and cheese that includes a pouch with real cheese inside, none of that powdered stuff. Blecch!

Slicker
08-25-2005, 03:17 AM
I too am a fan of the liquid cheese. I have the same problem of that one pocket of resistance that refuses to be mixed in and you bite into it and gag then you have gritty cheese teeth until you wash it down.

DOWN WITH POWDERED CHEESE!!:bandit:

2-1B
08-25-2005, 03:28 AM
I never had problems with the powdered cheese, just don't dump it in there ! If you shake it around the entire kettle and not let huge clumps of it fall out, it really shouldn't be a problem.

kool-aid killer
08-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Ive learned to drop some in, mix, then drop more in, and mix again until the cheese runs out. I mix until i dont see any more grouping up of powder. It tastes good when done right, but if not its horrible.

mabudonicus
08-25-2005, 03:00 PM
This is starting to sound like some kind of really low-rent "Lifestyles" thread, fellows.
Carry on

If you want to make KD simply fabulous use a pat of butter as well as the margarine... I like to mix in a little white wine as I take it off the heat, too, evoking a "continental" style......

scruffziller
08-25-2005, 03:36 PM
I like the shells and cheese that includes a pouch with real cheese inside, none of that powdered stuff. Blecch!

The secret to the powdered cheese Mac & Cheese is to mix it in little by little versus dumping in the whole pouch. Makes a big difference. Takes a little longer but it is worth it.

I also dicovered a new innovation that has been lying under my nose.

Buy individual pounds of super lean ground beef and cook it in the microwave in a glass bowl!!!!! No frying pans to dirty!!!! And no greasy throw-away. You might as well buy the leanest ground beef anyway cuz you throw away the grease that runs off. Why make more work for yourself? And is really more economical by far.

JediTricks
08-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Im currently eating Krafts Easy Mac. For the most part im content with it, decent price and the macaroni doesnt taste too bad. The only problem im having is distributing the cheese powder around evenly so that it doesnt bunch up in one area and leave the rest plain. Hopefully it will taste like it should next time i try to make it.Someone a while back said that he knew someone who ate Kraft Mac & Cheese ("Kraft Instant Dinner" as it's called in Canada) for every meal while at college and eventually that person got scurvey! :D

As for distributing the cheese powder, like these other guys said, don't dump it in at once and you should be good. I have the same issue, so I just keep stirring and stirring and stirring until I'm dang sure. I prefer this cheese to the foil pouch cheese from the Kraft Deluxe ones, but those are good too.

It tastes good when done right, but if not its horrible. Yeah, I hate when it tastes like an odd mix of powder and butter. Adding too much milk or butter can make it taste like you're eating straight butter, that can make me gag out.

Buy individual pounds of super lean ground beef and cook it in the microwave in a glass bowl!!!!! No frying pans to dirty!!!! And no greasy throw-away. You might as well buy the leanest ground beef anyway cuz you throw away the grease that runs off. Why make more work for yourself? And is really more economical by far. I have 2 concerns there: first, how do you know when the meat is actually thoroughly cooked? Do you whip out the thermometer or just eyeball it or what? Second, wouldn't that likely pop and even possibly explode, covering your microwave in meat and grease and stinking it up forever?

kool-aid killer
08-26-2005, 12:26 AM
This is starting to sound like some kind of really low-rent "Lifestyles" thread, fellows.
Carry on

Im a broke man, ive got to be a cheapo. To tell you guys the truth, im seriously thinking about trying to get foodstamps for about a year. And with school picking back up on Monday my gas expense is going to shoot up. It sucks to be KAK right now. :yes:

2-1B
08-26-2005, 12:35 AM
I'm with JT on the raw beef issue, I would be VARY wary of cooking it in the microwave.

Kidhuman
08-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Hell, if you eat rare steak, then rare chopped meat isnt gonna hurt.

Bosskman
08-26-2005, 06:53 PM
I always use real butter and not marjarine when I make food. Marjarine is one of the most vile substances on the face of the earth. DOWN WITH MARJARINE! (I don't think I know how to spell "marjarine")

Ji'dai
08-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Im a broke man, ive got to be a cheapo. To tell you guys the truth, im seriously thinking about trying to get foodstamps for about a year. And with school picking back up on Monday my gas expense is going to shoot up. It sucks to be KAK right now. :yes: You talk about applying for foodstamps in one thread and contemplate buying a $100 Balrog in another. :razz: You're gonna hafta kick this plastic crack addiction for awhile until your fortunes improve. ;)

2-1B
08-27-2005, 12:11 AM

Well, I don't eat rare steak, so there. :p

And, uhhh, I'm assuming a good cut of steak is a little more clean than whatever those butchers are sending through the ol' grinder. lol lol lol

kool-aid killer
08-27-2005, 01:44 AM
You talk about applying for foodstamps in one thread and contemplate buying a $100 Balrog in another. :razz: You're gonna hafta kick this plastic crack addiction for awhile until your fortunes improve. ;)

Yeah, i know. Ive managed to hold off on the Balrog though, so its not like i dont realize what my priorities are. Ive heard you need to have kids to get them though, if thats the case im not eligible at all. I have no intention of having a KAK jr. for many more years. What i really need is a sugar momma. :thumbsup:

Anybody ever try dumping chocolate milk in a bowl of cereal? If so what type of cereal and did it taste okay?

2-1B
08-27-2005, 01:50 AM
hell yeah, I did chocolate milk in basically any kind of non sweetened cereal and it was great ! Rice Krispies, for example. Disgusting with white milk but chocolate ? Awesome. :)

Slicker
08-27-2005, 03:45 AM
I've done chocolate milk in cereal but on in chocolate cereals (i.e. Cocoa Puffs). What I do alot is put chocolate syrup on Count Chocula. That's good eats.

Another thing that's good is to use orange juice with cereal. Put it on the fruity ones like Fruity Pebbles and Froot Loops. That is good eats as well.

Bosskman
08-27-2005, 05:42 AM
Chocolate milk on cornflakes is pretty good. Now that I think of it, chocolate milk on Resse Peanut Butter Balls would be most excellant. (if they still make that cereal) I can hear my mother yelling now......

Kidhuman
08-27-2005, 10:57 AM
What are your dentist bills like slicker? Choc. syrip on choc, cereal.

Ji'dai
08-27-2005, 11:35 AM
I've never put choc milk in cereal but I've used cereal as a topping for a bowl of ice cream. Cookie Crisp is most excellent sprinkled over ice cream with choc syrup. Trix isn't a bad topping either.

kool-aid killer
08-27-2005, 11:42 AM
hell yeah, I did chocolate milk in basically any kind of non sweetened cereal and it was great ! Rice Krispies, for example. Disgusting with white milk but chocolate ? Awesome. :)

I happen to be eating Rice Krispies right now too. Ive never thought about dumping orange juice in with my cereal. It sounds like it could taste good though so im going to need to remember that. Cookie Crisp on vanilla cream would taste good. You guys have my stomach in heaven right now. :pleased:

CaptainSolo1138
08-27-2005, 11:49 AM
What are your dentist bills like slicker?
How the hell would he know? We pay his dental bill with our taxes.

Government job havin' POS!

2-1B
08-27-2005, 12:16 PM
One time when I was a kid, I pulled out an ice cream cone but when I went to fill it up I found we were out of ice cream. My heart was set on that cone, so I filled it with Cool Whip.

scruffziller
08-28-2005, 04:07 PM
I have 2 concerns there: first, how do you know when the meat is actually thoroughly cooked? Do you whip out the thermometer or just eyeball it or what? Second, wouldn't that likely pop and even possibly explode, covering your microwave in meat and grease and stinking it up forever?

Oh it is pretty dang scorched when it is done, absolutely no uncertainty.
My microwave cleans rather well.

Actually ground meat is NOT safe to eat rare because on the surface of a steak is where the germs lay. When they are ground up it is mixed into the middle of the mass thus hiding the germs inside of it. Where a solid peice of meat is solid through and only exist on the surface. The only way it is going to get to the middle is if it is decaying or it is injected some how, by puntures or something. I worked in a meat department for 7 years.

Kidhuman
08-28-2005, 10:25 PM
But dont the germs make it yummy??? :crazed: :whip: :beard:

Slicker
08-29-2005, 03:05 AM
How the hell would he know? We pay his dental bill with our taxes.

Government job havin' POS!Heck the Govt. makes me go at least once per year. And I've got the option to go twice.:whip: :bandit:

scruffziller
08-29-2005, 09:07 AM
But dont the germs make it yummy??? :crazed: :whip: :beard:

There is/was(?) some restraunts down in Kansas City that had the BEST roast beef sandwhiches. And they were always in a state that you were sure they would be shut down. But, the folks always said that the "shadiness" off the state of the resteraunt is what gave the food its edge, goodness, and reputation.:Ponder:

Kidhuman
08-29-2005, 03:38 PM
I love eating at the "hole in the wall" type places. They always have the best grub.

CaptainSolo1138
08-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Slicker and I used to work at a hole in the wall type joint. Even after putting in seven years, I still love that greasy slop.

JediTricks
08-29-2005, 05:42 PM
I still dunno, microwaved meat seems wrong to me, vibrated beef. And as for easy clean-up, the only "easy" clean-up is when I don't have to clean something up. :D

scruffziller
08-30-2005, 03:15 PM
I still dunno, microwaved meat seems wrong to me, vibrated beef. And as for easy clean-up, the only "easy" clean-up is when I don't have to clean something up. :D

Check the mirowave manual there is instructions for it including yardbird.
I cooked the ground beef and I am well to type here and I am not running to the bathroom to puke. So I am not sick at all, nor did I get sick.;)
The glass bowl is tons easier to clean than the pan.

JediTricks
08-31-2005, 01:36 AM
I read all their crazy cooking instructions in the microwave manual, but I don't trust 'em. I don't generally trust oddly-cooked beef in general, not since just after my birthday 10 years ago when my sister undercooked some beef and gave me violent food poisoning.

scruffziller
08-31-2005, 02:31 PM
I read all their crazy cooking instructions in the microwave manual, but I don't trust 'em. I don't generally trust oddly-cooked beef in general, not since just after my birthday 10 years ago when my sister undercooked some beef and gave me violent food poisoning.

The way the microwave cooks it, is actually more thourough as a whole than if you pan or bake the meat. In the pan you stir it around hoping that all the little bits bet the right exposure to the heat. Where you put a pound of GB in the glass bowl spread it out a little bit put in on high for 10 mintes, it cooks it till it is as black as coal almost. You can check through to the center. It almost overcooks it.

2-1B
08-31-2005, 11:59 PM
scruff when you say "black", do you mean just in color or literally blackened to the point of being dried out ? If it gets really crispy/burned, that can play havoc on one's digestive system. ;)

scruffziller
09-01-2005, 10:27 AM
scruff when you say "black", do you mean just in color or literally blackened to the point of being dried out ? If it gets really crispy/burned, that can play havoc on one's digestive system. ;)

Just in color because it was cooked so well.

Slicker
02-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Bachelor lesson #42:

The George Forman grill DOES NOT make a good grilled cheese.

JediTricks
02-06-2006, 05:02 PM
You know you have to put bread around the cheese, right? :D

Lord Malakite
02-06-2006, 09:06 PM
You know you have to put bread around the cheese, right? :D
Bread, thats what I was doing wrong. They still go on the charcoal grill right?

JediTricks
02-07-2006, 05:14 PM
The grill on your car, I think.

Lord Malakite
02-07-2006, 09:35 PM
The grill on your car, I think.
The charcoal screwed up the gas tank last time I did that.

JediTricks
02-08-2006, 03:46 PM
See, you're supposed to put it in the radiator, not the gas tank, it "radiates" the heat into the grill.

Lord Malakite
02-09-2006, 07:29 PM
See, you're supposed to put it in the radiator, not the gas tank, it "radiates" the heat into the grill. Now you tell me, after sticking that lit match in the gas tank because I figured I had to light it.

JediTricks
02-10-2006, 02:26 PM
That only works when the tank has no gasoline in it, only fumes. Dropping a match in a tank of gas usually makes it go out, dropping it into a contained space full of gasoline fumes is how you get it to light, this is known as the "Pinto Method" and is really only for cooking meats.

Lord Malakite
02-10-2006, 02:30 PM
That only works when the tank has no gasoline in it, only fumes. Dropping a match in a tank of gas usually makes it go out, dropping it into a contained space full of gasoline fumes is how you get it to light, this is known as the "Pinto Method" and is really only for cooking meats.
Thats what I like about you JT. You always have an answer for everything.lol

scruffziller
02-24-2006, 08:29 AM
This is known as the "Pinto Method" and is really only for cooking meats.

Most economical becuase none of those grills were recalled.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Here's a real Bachelor tip: toast is a great way to stretch your breakfast dollar, AND there's less clean-up for breakfast.

I'm Martha Stewart for Donald Trump saying "goodnight".

chrisc
03-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I am cleaner than most women, but thats only because I have to be (in the Army). I stiil however load up on the Fire Sauce a Taco Bell. To me it's the new ketchup, goes with everything.

DarthQuack
07-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Ok, so I'm reviving this thread on account of women. I had started seeing the girl I worked with at my part-time gig at Target, and she's cute, we get along very well. And I feel like there is no spark. The big thing I think has to be that she didn't go to college, and I realize college isn't for everyone, to his/her own. I went to college, graduated in 2002 and have been fully employed by a great company since and have amazing benefits and everything. She doesn't really have any real future plans for work besides she says she waits to waitress. Am I shallow for wanting someone who graduated from college and wants a solid career? I want to have kids someday as well, and I feel you need two good salarys to be raising a family of a couple kids or more. I don't know, all advice is welcome.

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2006, 09:01 AM
No, DQ, that's not shallow. In fact, I think it's the complete opposite. Shallow would be bangin' her for the sake of bangin' her. You're actually using the correct head in this instance and, IMO, making the right decision. There's nothing wrong with standards.

Banthaholic
08-01-2006, 10:02 AM
When I started dating my now wife she was also on hiatus from college with no real plan on going back. I sorta votivated her to see her part-time job wasn't going to support much later in life and got her back in school. Now she's a graduate with a career she loves and does well at.

I can't blame you for what you're thinking. We all have shortcoming and I know alot of people that do well with never had gone to college, but some of those days are changing and from the sounds of it her Target job isn't a career gig. Maybe she's young and naive yet, ask her what her plans for the future are, see if it's possible to get her ona career thinking path.

seanmcfripp
08-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Shallow would be bangin' her for the sake of bangin' her. You're actually using the correct head in this instance and, IMO, making the right decision.

Whoa, slow down there. That's just the crazy talkin'. :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

No, seriously, DQ, you're perfectly within reason asking those questions. Stick around for a few months, then if things get serious, ask her what her plans are. If she's still wishy washy about education and career development, then it's time to move on.

On a personal note (if you don't mind me asking), is she up for doin' it back in the Target stock room on stacks of unopened cases of Star Wars exclusives? That would be so hot.

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Whoa, slow down there. That's just the crazy talkin'. :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:My bad. Perhaps the heat was gettin' to me.

On a personal note (if you don't mind me asking), is she up for doin' it back in the Target stock room on stacks of unopened cases of Star Wars exclusives? That would be so hot.Whoa, slow down there. That's just the crazy talkin'.

2-1B
08-02-2006, 01:30 AM
What Cappy said about standards. :)

Speaking of standards DQ, does your ladyfriend fill her store's quota of chicks with lowcut pants showing off their thongs and/or butt cracks? lol I should dig up my old thread on the Rule of Target...

DarthQuack
08-02-2006, 06:32 AM
She does have a smoking tattoo on her lower back...

CaptainSolo1138
08-02-2006, 07:13 AM
She does have a smoking tattoo on her lower back...Tramp stamps are a dead give away. Get rid of her now. :p

scruffziller
11-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Tramp stamps are a dead give away. Get rid of her now. :p

Tramp stamps:D That's awesome.

I have a new one, invented by a bud of mine that I helped move in to an apartment in a building next to mine. Since he wants to get a large Rubbermaid garbage can like mine, he does not currently have a garbage can for the kitchen. So what does he do. He stacks two chairs upside down across an endtable. And then takes the 52 gallon garbage sack and inserts it around the legs of the chairs.

Also in reference to what I was talking about with using real lean ground beef. It has been real beneficial because I do not throw grease away in the garbage can now. Therefore, it helps reduce the garbage odor down to almost nothing.

2-1B
11-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Tramp stamps are a dead give away. Get rid of her now. :p

How did I miss this 3+ months ago ? ? ?

DarthQuack
12-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Anyone need a date? Check out this ebay auction lol.....make sure you read all of it. haha

http://cgi.ebay.com/Discount-Giants-Saints-Tickets-Christmas-Eve-Game_W0QQitemZ330060415237QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16122 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Slicker
12-09-2006, 12:41 PM
I wish she had a picture of herself...

UKWildcat
12-09-2006, 01:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

2-1B
12-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Saints vs. Giants in the Meadowlands...so is that going to count as a Saints home game again ? :confused:

scruffziller
05-28-2007, 10:12 AM
I got a new one. Lazy man's dish washing. Place dirty dishes in the sink, turn on the faucet, and let the water just rinse the gunk off by itself. That way you will have a full sink of mostly clean dishes that won't smell up the kitchen and it will be easier to wash them when you get the gumption to actually do them.

JediTricks
06-03-2007, 08:16 PM
That has the unfortunate side-effect of covering ALL your dishes with the dirtiest thing in the sink, not pleasant. The best remedy for dish washing I think is to just rinse the damn thing as soon as you're done with it, then the washing part later is cake.

Tenric78
06-03-2007, 11:13 PM
That has the unfortunate side-effect of covering ALL your dishes with the dirtiest thing in the sink, not pleasant. The best remedy for dish washing I think is to just rinse the damn thing as soon as you're done with it, then the washing part later is cake.

This is golden advice. It's best to rinse than come back to a sink full of cereal bowls with a little spoiled milk left in them.

scruffziller
06-10-2007, 03:56 AM

Yes, that is actually what I have been doing. Unfortunately, since I have, I have let the dishes go for quite sometime as I had been practicing the original tip that opened this thread; in conjunction with the previous.

When I put food on a plate and it isn't overtly used, I stick it in the fridge to reuse it so I don't have to let the dishes pile up.:D

DarthQuack
06-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Hot Pockets, Easy Mac, Jalepeno poppers, mozzarella sticks....all great things to substitute for dinner at work.

JediTricks
06-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Not great at keeping you healthy though, after a day or so of that diet you either get constipated or constant diarrhea and the risk of scurvy. :p

scruffziller
06-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Jalapeño poppers, mozzarella sticks....all great things to substitute for dinner at work.

OMG!!!! DQ, we must be kindred soul's. Those Jalapeño poppers and Mozz stix are so dang expensive but I can't stop eating box after bag after box after bag of those!!!! I thought I was getting more sophisticated with cooking but of late I have easing back into, the bachelor eat mode.

Lord Malakite
06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
As a bachelor never pass on a free meal if it is delivered to your doorstep. If the cat (could be yours, a neighbors, or a stray) brings you one of its killings, I say eat it. And if the cat isn't yours or the neighbors go ahead and eat that as well. The chances that a stray will bring you more meals than one is less likely than your own cat or neighbor's cat, so might as well get the most from it while it is still around.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
06-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Being a bachelor doesn't always have to mean being poor and starving. We should live with dignity while we pile our trash high, ignore washing our dishes, and refuse to dust. :p

scruffziller
09-04-2008, 12:21 PM
and refuse to dust. :p
Speaking of refusing to dust. The ORECK canister vacuum is an excellent way to suck up pesky dust bunnies.

A tactic I have always used since no one is around to make sure I get out of bed. My clocks are set a half hour fast. This somehow always tricks my mind, even though I know what time it actually is.

Ando
09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
As a former bachelor, I'd like to offer a few ideas for my single brethren to consider.

I'm a fairly lazy person when it comes to cleaning, organizing, etc. But I am also pretty fastidious about the apartment being clean. So instead of doing one big clean every month or year, I'd rather pick up and clean every night for 5-10 minutes.

- Keep a paper shredder by the door so you can get rid of junkmail before it lands anywhere in your home.
- Bleach tabs in the toilet tank help extend the time between really having to give it a good scrubbing.
- Use a dish, rinse a dish.
- I use the same plastic soda fountain cup every day for beverages and rinse it out at night. My wife uses 4-6 glasses without rinsing her's out and they pile up in the sink.
- If you don't like the rotting garbage smell, get rid of your kitchen garbage can and use a box for dry garbage and use plastic grocery bags for smelly/wet garbage and throw it out right away. This can be offputting for visitors, but it's your place so live how you want to live.
- If you're short on space, slide your ironing board under the couch.
- Get a couple of the storage ottomans from Target to keep your toys in so it looks nice when they ladies come calling. We have 1 for the toys my nephew plays with when he visits.
- Hate grocery shopping and never know what to buy? Lunch meat and bread and sandwich stuff keeps relatively well. Before I got married, I used to have a small bag of chips and a roast beef or pastrami sandwich with a couple tomato slices and some fresh mozarella.
- A plate with a few crumps from a sandwich or bagel isn't really that dirty. Wipe it and use it again later.
- A plate with dried mustard or salsa or chinese food IS dirty and should be washed.
- Get a couple rolls of quarters when you go to the bank even if you're not out so that you'll always have enough to do laundry on Sunday afternoon when you realize you have nothing clean to wear to work the next day.

Just a few tips for the lazy neat freaks out there. I hate cleaning (all the time) but like to live in a neat and orderly home, so these are just a few things that I did when I was single and even now that I am married.

(I don't really like to dust, but Pledge makes a nice furniture wax spray that my wife bought. It's in a light blue can. It makes our black tables and shelves slick and shiny)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I can't believe I haven't posted here. I think I've been a b-lor since it started (checks self... yep :rolleyes: ).

Am I lonely? Nope. Do I have tricks? Some. Jedi tricks? Not me. :D

The thing I love is when a telemarketer calls and asks for "me" but I say he's not in right now/may I take a message? Hi-larious.