PDA

View Full Version : What should Hasbro auction off, in your opinion?

stillakid
10-09-2003, 07:50 AM
Toys, games, knick-knacks, opportunities?

Another idea I just had would be for them to auction off the right (priviledge?) to choose the next figure they make.

Imagine, being able to bid all the points you have earned (purchased, really) over the years and exchange them essentially for the one never before made and not likely to be anytime soon, action figure of your choosing. Now this would really be a "reward" and a "thank you" from Hasbro to us for spending so much money on them over the years. And truly, the person who has the most points (and is willing to spend them) is probably the one worthy of this method of thanks from Hasbro.

Sure, a bunch of people would be like, "What a moron, I can't believe he wasted his auction winnings on getting that figure made for us!" But, more likely, the winner would pick something that most people have been clamoring for for a long time, like the Tonnika sisters or something.

What do you guys think of that? Would Hasbro go for it? What are your ideas?

evenflow
10-09-2003, 08:03 AM
That woul dbe so incredible to win the right to have a figure made. Sadly some jerk would win and choose something totally ridiculous and choose soemthing no one wants. My pick would probably be Yarna Da'l Gargan, but there would be so much to choose from.

As a side note, I think that the very final auction they have up should be for a vintage prototype or something rare like that. I am sure they have something hidden in the warehouse.

bobafrett
10-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Maybe a chance to shoot the idiots who came up with the whole auction idea, with a water cannon.

plo koon 200
10-09-2003, 09:51 AM
I actually like the idea of being able to choose the next figure for them to be made. I would either choose Dead Shmi or if they let me do a basic figure 2-pack I would make roasted Owen and Beru. Of course that is saying I can come up with 50,000 points.

I know they would never make those figures. Yarna stands a better chance.

stillakid
10-09-2003, 11:06 AM
That woul dbe so incredible to win the right to have a figure made. Sadly some jerk would win and choose something totally ridiculous and choose soemthing no one wants.
Like Yarna Da'l Gargan? ;)

That's what I'm getting at. One guy's holy grail is another one's "what the F was he thinking?"

As a side note, I think that the very final auction they have up should be for a vintage prototype or something rare like that. I am sure they have something hidden in the warehouse.
I like that idea as well. Like I said previously, this auctioning off stuff that is usually available at a retail level anyhow smacks of scalping, even if it is coming factory direct.

plo koon 200
10-09-2003, 11:21 AM
I totally agree it is like scalping because it so recent. I feel the same way.

evenflow
10-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Like Yarna Da'l Gargan? ;)

That's what I'm getting at. One guy's holy grail is another one's "what the F was he thinking?"

Exactly. :D

Exhaust Port
10-09-2003, 12:43 PM
What about auctioning off prototypes of figures that have been released? Or artwork used in the development of figures? Something unique at least.

jjreason
10-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Big lots of army builders. 1000 Clone trooper army builder sets at the same time, so everyone can have a chance at getting one or two for a reasonable amount of points. 1000 Battle Droid - Geonosis Battle figures (that were returned to Hasbro by retailers last year, were they not? What better way to free up warehouse space) at the same time. Toy Fair Vader. That elusive Imperial Scanning Crew Trooper figure that came with the second Millenium Falcon carrying case. R2 B1, Amidala w Ascension Gun and the rest of the difficult end of EP I figures they should be re-releasing on Saga cards, Hats and T shirts, Stickers, gift certificates for 2 for 1 figures at selected retailers, tons of things that would end at cheaper point values. Any number of things.

Oh, and Yarna figures would be the auction of a lifetime. :D

DarthChuckMc
10-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Another idea I just had would be for them to auction off the right (priviledge?) to choose the next figure they make.

This is the best idea I've heard. With the couple of Vintage left to resculpt, plus all of the Cantina and Jabba's Palace critters on our "wishlists" , we could finally get something we'd never expect, or at least something we've expected to have by now.

Kidhuman
10-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Stillakid, that is a good idea. The problem is I wouldnt know who to pick. Yarna is long overdue. There are many that I would love to see as well. It would make half the population happy and the other half irked.

plo koon 200
10-09-2003, 09:48 PM
Imagine if they do the same thing for the kids as well, since Hasbro seems to be giving kids as much stuff as we collectors. We would get another Tatooine Luke.

stillakid
10-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Imagine if they do the same thing for the kids as well, since Hasbro seems to be giving kids as much stuff as we collectors. We would get another Tatooine Luke.

Interesting point. Maybe the "kids" section could come with a cheat sheet giving the lil' tykes some ideas beyond the core characters who have already been made umpteen times. Theoretically, the adults who are geeky enough to have enough points to bid on such a thing would already have some ideas of the obscure characters that they'd like to see made.

RooJay
10-09-2003, 10:41 PM

My thoughts exactly. Someone would probably win and pick something like (another) Tatooine Luke with a poncho, or Darth Maul with a cloth cloak. :D

I do think that's a great idea, however.

jjreason
10-10-2003, 05:48 PM
Whatever they wind up doing, they should be looking at pulling in THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of those points, and putting enough things up so that everyone with 200 pts or more can get SOMETHING. Everyone seems to be pretty irked by this auction system - and it's going to backfire even worse than it has already if the only people getting in on the free stuff are those with 5000 or more points. That's more than double what I have, and I used to think I had a lot of SW stuff around my place.

With distribution the way it's been this year, they can't afford to only please the top 1% of everyone buying the product.

Turbowars
10-11-2003, 11:57 PM
If the idea is to get most if not all points out of circulation, then don't you guys think that Hasbro should remove the points from the card backs now? I know I wont get anything from this promo. I miss the old days when I got a little white box in the mail. It seems that Kenner knew what they were doing when it came to these things.

evenflow
10-12-2003, 08:22 AM
I agree, little white boxes in the mail used to rock. If Hasbro really has all the Cantina Waves done and no one to sell them too, they could have used those as the exclusives. Upcoming Waves could have included a little order form and we could have checked off which ones we wanted and sent in the points. They could have made the points needed high enough where they would not lose money. I think that would havebeen a better idea.

Turbowars
10-12-2003, 10:22 AM
I agree, little white boxes in the mail used to rock. If Hasbro really has all the Cantina Waves done and no one to sell them too, they could have used those as the exclusives. Upcoming Waves could have included a little order form and we could have checked off which ones we wanted and sent in the points. They could have made the points needed high enough where they would not lose money. I think that would havebeen a better idea.yeah the way things have been going with the Cantina sets, collectors would probably send it all their points and pay a retail price from Hasro just to get the damn Bug, LOL.

odb
10-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Just one word:

Randy

Now people really would bid to get their hands on him.

plo koon 200
10-12-2003, 04:38 PM
What???

Randy who?

Sorry I'm lost. I don't know of anything nicknamed Randy in Star Wars lore. Maybe I have some catching up to do.

Turbowars
10-12-2003, 04:57 PM
What???

Randy who?

Sorry I'm lost. I don't know of anything nicknamed Randy in Star Wars lore. Maybe I have some catching up to do. I guess it's some dude that's in charge at hasbro?:confused:

odb
10-13-2003, 01:25 PM
What???

Randy who?

Sorry I'm lost. I don't know of anything nicknamed Randy in Star Wars lore. Maybe I have some catching up to do.

Randy isn't a figure more of an enigma. He's the man responsible for those 'fanastic' action poses and action features which plagued, sorry featured on the early Saga figures.

I known there are a few collectors who would like to get their hands on him, even if it means losing a few JMPs.

bobafett07728
10-13-2003, 01:50 PM
I say scrap the auctions, and send us white mailer boxes. Give us something that we can send in out Points for, just like back in the Kenner days. A figure would be cool. Packaging wouldn't even be an issue. Just plastic bag-it, and plop it in a box. . . simple. Or produce things that fans, and the kids that play with the toys would want, but wouldn't necessarily fair well in the stores. Action figure stands (even those cool ones featured with the new animated figures), accessories, background figures, army builders. Out-of-the ordinary stuff like pod racers with their pods. . . we'd send in points for that right? How about the hyperspace ring for the Jedi Starfighter. . . you couldn't actually release that, but as a mail-away offer. . . why not? Cantina tables, chairs, bar pieces. . . just anything that we as collectors would like, and the kids can use with thier current toys. Have us send in x amount of points, a little cash, and "Viola!" everyone will be happy. If they still want to do these ridiculous auctions. . . fine. . . but they could at least give us an occasional send-away offer to keep EVERYONE involved in this Jedi Master Points fiasco. I know I'll never be able to amass enough points for an auction (a couple thousand), but if I knew I had to get 500 points for a special offer. . . I'd make sure I could get those points. I'm sure I am not the only one on the forums that would do that, either.

GIVE US OUR LITTLE WHITE MAILER BOXES!!!!!!!

Jargo
10-28-2003, 09:37 AM
The head of randy would be fine for me. Failing that the chance to get obscure stuff through in a white mailer box would be my choice. Provided it was a global thing and not an American exclusive. But I just trashed my Jedi points in disgust. these auctions are Just one more empty gesture from hasbroken.

JEDIpartner
10-28-2003, 12:58 PM
They could auction themselves to a more capable group of individuals! :crazed: