PDA

View Full Version : IG-88 = DSII . . . Dengar the Best Man . . . GREEDO'S PHEROMONES ? ? ?

2-1B
10-10-2003, 03:41 AM
EU brought us the glorious stories of a cloned Palpatine, Dengar as the best man for Boba Fett's wedding, and IG-88's CPU getting a new life as the "brain" of the second Death Star.
I think I may have found the next entry in the pantheon of classic EU tales. :)

From the Topps Evolution card (number 85) for Wuher:

"After graduating from a bartending correspondence school, the heavy-set and surly Wuher was hired for shift service at the Mos Eisley spaceport cantina. Perenially angry, Wuher appeared to have a prejudice against droids, maybe because they were relatively easy to push around. Ironically, he later found himself partnered with a processing droid when the two developed a unique drink, made with pheromones extracted from the corpse of former cantina visitor Greedo, ordered specifically for Jabba the Hutt."

Beast
10-10-2003, 04:12 AM
That story appears in the 'Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina' novel. And one of the reasons why EU is a subjective thing. None of it's canon to Lucas, so we can accept or throw out, anything thing we like. Such as the above. But it was Boba Fett who was Dengar's best man, not the other way around. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
10-10-2003, 08:43 AM
I'll have a Dead Rodian sour please.

mabudonicus
10-10-2003, 08:52 AM
Gee Caesar, thanks for posting this, it's been a while since I read anything that ridiculous (most of the ridiculous stuff I see is on the news these days ;)) about SW...

I can't believe we were all wrong about the best man thing.....

Greedo's pheromones???? I wonder if there's gonna be a sequel and wuher goes after that Prince Cheesor guy.... I KNEW I hated the EU when I read his bio, what with the pheromones and all.... that word should be prohibited from SW..... that and "yuzzum"

LusiferSam
10-10-2003, 10:56 AM
At the these books came out I really enjoyed the EU. But stuff like this and the whole NJO debacle have turned me off. There are still a few that I like to read, like Heir to the Empire and Shadows, but most just turn my stomach.

Jargo
10-10-2003, 02:21 PM
I like it when EU books are turned into comic books and all the really bad writing is trimmed away so you only have a smidgion of it left. I only own tales from jabba's palace because i was curious about the whole Yarna backstory which although badly written was at least sympathetic if a little schmaltzy at the end. It kind of lost steam when they revealed that yarna can alter her size by drinking water or not drinking water. She's a big sponge with six doodahs and the warts are removable. That part ruined the story but the main thrust of the fat dancers tale was quite a decent read.
All the novels make my toes curl though. Just can't bear to look at them let alone read them. I own the novellisations of all the movies thus far but the only one I can read is the original. Possibly because it owes so much to Dune. Which is a fantastic book that deserves a decent cinematic outing after all these years. David Lynch trashed it but I keep imagining how it might have turned out had Ridley Scott had his hands on it. Imagine what star wars could have been if different directors had been involved. Ridley Scott with ROTJ would have been fantastic.
Um, EU books, toilet paper mostly.

Exhaust Port
10-10-2003, 03:38 PM
For me my EU reading ended with the Tales from Mos Eisley book. I'm not one to give up in the middle of a book so I forced myself to finish it off. It nearly killed me. After that I started into the Tales of the Bounty Hunters or what ever it was called. I couldn't take any more of these crappy short stories and I gave up and haven't looked back since.

The only EU books I retain are hardcovers of the Timothy Zahn trilogy. Those I will consider to read again but nothing more.

El Chuxter
10-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Howsabout Boba Fett? He's been a Journeyman Protector, a Mandalorean, a Stormtrooper, and probably a fry cook before we finally found out he was really just a common clone. Also, he gives moral lessons that make Puritans yawn in Tales From Jabba's Palace.

Or Waru? Luke and company have to fight a giant, teleporting chunk of raw beef.

Wuher had a run-in with Aurra Sing as a kid.

The "Glove of Darth Vader" series is the best. Everyone should read those, but only for the laugh content (and sweet Leialoha art).

mabudonicus
10-14-2003, 08:26 AM
If it was called "smell the glove of darth vader" I could see reading it...

It IS sad how the EU seems to be getting short shrift in the PT... at this rate we'll never get to see how Lando slyly reprograms R2 to go back in time and mine the Grease Planet, Jek 14

And Boba's lectures??? I just might have to read the darn book now if it's THAT good!!!!

and many know my LOVE of the Dengar character, his independence, his wild youth etc... but even such a fan as I shuddered out loud at the news of a resculpt.... why the heck would that be on the agenda??? Are they going to release him with a Tux?? I would be there if that happened, but I fear he's just gonna be more "realistic"...... mebbe he'll have an enhanced "smell", so you gag when you open him... heck, just THINKING about it makes me kinda queasy :D

2-1B
10-14-2003, 12:10 PM
Dengar onced roadied for Spinal Tap and was severely burned when drummer Mick Shrimpton spontaneously combusted on stage . . . thus his current bandages.

Being a big fan of Dengar, I can see where you'd make the Spinal Tap reference, mabudon. :D

JediTricks
10-14-2003, 07:37 PM
It IS sad how the EU seems to be getting short shrift in the PT... at this rate we'll never get to see how Lando slyly reprograms R2 to go back in time and mine the Grease Planet, Jek 14 Isn't that actually a moon of the Porkins planet, which has no system since it's always on the move, kinda like Unicron?

mabudonicus
10-15-2003, 07:43 AM
Right, I think Ki Adi Mundi and adi gallia set up a rodian resettlement camp on Jek 14 and I just got it mixed up.... SO MANY extra details get "added" every day it's hard to keep up...... the whole "SW=Porkins=Lucas" thing should make it all easier to follow, in a stephen hawking kind-of-way

Spinal tap references are okay, to be sure, but if EPIII's title has the word "bogus" in it then we're ALL in trouble

Exhaust Port
10-15-2003, 04:46 PM
At what point did the tribbles enter the picture? Weren't Beru and Owen originally tribble herders?

2-1B
06-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Dengar onced roadied for Spinal Tap and was severely burned when drummer Mick Shrimpton spontaneously combusted on stage . . . thus his current bandages.

Being a big fan of Dengar, I can see where you'd make the Spinal Tap reference, mabudon. :D

I can just imagine Dengar sitting in on a rendition of "Rock and Roll Creation." lol They could even write music reviews with Dengar in mind, be it 'The Gospel According to Dengar' or "Sh** Sandwhich." lol

El Chuxter
06-25-2006, 01:29 AM
Like I told mabs a few months ago, look for The New Essential Chronology. There's a picture in there of the bounty hunters at Greedo's funeral, and he's just a head floating in a jar since the rest of him was ground up to make Jabba a drink. It is possibly the funniest thing ever. Aside from Mystery Men.

2-1B
06-25-2006, 01:37 AM
Are you serious, Chux ? :confused:

That's the problem I have with EU...I can never tell if someone is kidding or not. lol

mabudonicus
06-25-2006, 08:37 AM
I think someone actually sent me the pic- Chux had me rolling on the floor with his description of it, but seeing it was somehow even slightly harder to take...

And Caesar- you just might have been reading my mind of late- over the past couple days, I have been busy getting a music video of the Scorpions "Robot Man" assembled- it's going to be posted later today or tomorrow so I'll let ya know, but for now I'll just say that you think the Deuce is cool NOW??? you just wait and see :beard: (BTW it'll prolly be on myspace I will make sure to post about it when it is up, no doubt a few participants in this thread will get a chuckle out of it)

:beard:

Rogue II
06-25-2006, 11:30 AM
If that picture really exists, I need to find it.

El Chuxter
06-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Seriously, go into your local bookstore and find The New Essential Chronology (I'm attaching the cover photo). Most stores should have it in the sci-fi section, as it's pretty recent. The picture I'm referring to is on page 96. It's surreal, to say the least.

Rogue II
06-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Seriously, go into your local bookstore and find The New Essential Chronology (I'm attaching the cover photo). Most stores should have it in the sci-fi section, as it's pretty recent. The picture I'm referring to is on page 96. It's surreal, to say the least.

I stopped by B&N just to look at the picture. Sure enough, there was Greedo's head floating in a beaker with the bounty hunters looking on. It looks like the artist just took stills from the movie or promo pictures and traced them.

Didn't even bother to see what kind of EU story they came up for that one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-25-2006, 08:09 PM
I stopped by B&N just to look at the picture. Sure enough, there was Greedo's head floating in a beaker with the bounty hunters looking on. It looks like the artist just took stills from the movie or promo pictures and traced them.

Didn't even bother to see what kind of EU story they came up for that one.
I hate it when SW artists do crap like that; I mean, let's try to at least get a little creative here shall we?

I've had the book since December and I've noticed that picture, but I never knew it had anything to do with a drink . . . stupid, really.

Another EU thing I hate is how Obi-Wan left the Jedi Order for a little bit when he was like 13 or so, and then he came back, in those Jedi Apprentice books. Just idiotic.

seanmcfripp
06-26-2006, 07:25 PM

Wow, I sure would love to see the cover of that book...a greased naked woman on all fours with a dog collar around her neck and a leash and a man's arm extended out up to here, holding onto the leash, and pushing a black Vader glove in her face to sniff it. But I wish I could have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.

Oh, and Vadar officially wears pastel black now.

LusiferSam
06-26-2006, 09:21 PM
lol :D lol I hadn't read any of this thread since posting to (gosh darn typos) so I missed this post. That's so darn funny I almost fell out of my chain laughing. lol :D lol

2-1B
06-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Wow, I sure would love to see the cover of that book...a greased naked woman on all fours with a dog collar around her neck and a leash and a man's arm extended out up to here, holding onto the leash, and pushing a black Vader glove in her face to sniff it. But I wish I could have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.

Oh, and Vadar officially wears pastel black now.

We don't literally say it.

We don't literally mean it.

We're not saying she should be made to smell the glove.

Well, she SHOULD be made to..

lol lol lol lol

Second greatest movie ever, after The Big Lebowski. :grin: :grin: :grin:

seanmcfripp
06-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Second greatest movie ever, after The Big Lebowski. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. :D