PDA

View Full Version : State license plates

Exhaust Port
10-10-2003, 08:57 PM
I think I read something about a change in license plate technology a month or so ago but I saw my first "changed" plate today. At least in the state of Ohio, new plates are no longer metal but a plastic sheet with the numbers/letters printed on. Now rather than purchasing pre-stamped plates you go the othe DMV/BMV and they use a special printer to print the numbers/letters on the blank plate.

As always, I fear change and this is no exception. The new plates look goofy. The numbers are no longer raised from the surface but just written on a flat sheet. I like seeing a stamped plate rather than this cheap looking thing. I would hope that for special plates, like Collector and Historic plates you could still get a metal plate. They are good for life once you register the vehicle and I would rather have a nice metal plate on an old vehicle than a piece of plastic.

Any other states going to this type of plate? What are your thoughts on it?

JediTricks
10-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Haven't heard of this, but it sounds dumb - very easy to copy, easier to reflect light and make it harder to read, and easier to break.

James Boba Fettfield
10-10-2003, 09:56 PM
And I thought Kentucky was silly for having that license plate of that stupid cartoon sun rising.

I heard about these things about a month and a half ago when my dad was talking about it on a trip to Athens, OH. I don't understand the purpose, they don't sound very durable. Maybe they'll allow for more characters on a license plate or something....maybe not, who knows. I haven't seen any in person yet, but I'm sure they won't make me change my opinion.

Exhaust Port
10-10-2003, 10:00 PM
Here's a little blurb about this from the Ohio BMV website. They have a picture of the new flat plates.

http://www.state.oh.us/odps/division/bmv/0803News.html#Flat_Plate

What are the convicts going to make now?

James Boba Fettfield
10-10-2003, 10:08 PM
It looks ok from the picture, but I think in person it might be a little different. I don't know, I'll keep my eyes open for these things here at Ohio State's campus, maybe I'll spot one.

plo koon 200
10-10-2003, 10:56 PM
I also live in Ohio. This will be interesting to see.

JediTricks
10-11-2003, 12:00 AM
Looks kinda dopey. If it's only for specialty plates, it makes a little more sense, but I still think it's going to be way too easy to make phoney plates now.

Exhaust Port
10-11-2003, 05:31 AM
I can't believe that I missed the paragraph stating that this system is only for the specialty plates (ie those with an image on them). I guess my plans of someday purchasing an OSU plate for my car will now be dropped. I'll be sticking to the plain-Jane plates to avoid the flat plates.

scruffziller
10-11-2003, 08:50 AM
That apple tree branch on that plate looks like something else.:D Hint:minus the apples.

James Boba Fettfield
10-11-2003, 09:38 AM
It's not an apple tree. Buckeye, scruff. Though the Ohio State Apples does sound good.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Oh, license plates!!! I don't why people customize them...granted, i do get the occasional chuckle when some dude drives by with his plates that say, "Tom #1" or something goofy like that and i'll say, "hey, it's Tom..he's #1" BA DUM CHING!!

If only Ohio residents would put all this time spent on ordering their license plates as they would into using their damned turn signals. I hate driving in this state: Ohio people don't use turn signals (too much effort i guess?) and we get all these crazy Michigain drivers. Thank God my car usage goes down immensely when i'm at school. I might just go crazy. :D

The 'Xir
10-12-2003, 02:01 AM
I haven't seen or even heard about this whole License plate thing, but I did see my first Colored Twenty dollar bill yesterday!!! Just the first step in the secret governments' attempts to turn us all into Hockey loving, tree sap suckin' Canadiens! AAHHHHHH!!!! OK not really, but It still looks weird! Hhmph, that's funny, I got a hankerin' for some croissants, Ay! :stupid:

TeeEye7
10-12-2003, 07:15 AM
I think the inmates in the Ohio state pen should start a new series of frivolous lawsuits over this. It could jeopardize Bubba's job secuity stamping metal plates! :crazed:

JediTricks
10-12-2003, 09:08 PM
I haven't seen or even heard about this whole License plate thing, but I did see my first Colored Twenty dollar bill yesterday!!! Just the first step in the secret governments' attempts to turn us all into Hockey loving, tree sap suckin' Canadiens! AAHHHHHH!!!! OK not really, but It still looks weird! Hhmph, that's funny, I got a hankerin' for some croissants, Ay! :stupid:
I got 3 of them yesterday, most of it looks pretty silly but easily forgiveable, but those damn millions of tiny "20"s on the back just looks silly. They're this awful peach color so they stand out and they're semi-random so they look like a failed kindergarten project; my guess is there's 50 of em, but I ran out of time to count them when I had to actually SPEND the bills. ;) I do like the hexagonal "thumbprint" pattern in the bills though, that was neat. Andy Jackson getting bigger and bigger is a little discomforting though.

I dub these bills: "Euro-cash" :D

Oh, and BTW, thanks for getting me all worked up over nothing EP. :p ;)

Exhaust Port
10-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Wha?.... What did I do now? :confused::crazed:

Lord Malakite
10-14-2003, 12:55 AM
I dub these bills: "Euro-cash" :D
More like Monopoly money. :crazed:

JediTricks
10-14-2003, 07:38 PM
More like Monopoly money. :crazed:
Same thing. :D

InsaneJediGirl
10-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Ugh,Money is supposed to be GREEN.Leave the ugly pastel colors up to Europe.

As for license plates,in Florida they are all still metal.However,we have this dumb orange now instead of a picture of the state.I think we're the laughing stock of Georgia,since the orange looks more like a peach:rolleyes:

JediTricks
10-17-2003, 04:05 AM
I recently saw one of those Florida plates on the road and DID think it was a Georgia Peach at first. What is up with so many goofy-looking license plate backgrounds these days?

Exhaust Port
10-17-2003, 09:33 AM
There was an article I read a few years ago about all these new plates that states are coming out with. They are using them to generate extra income as you have to pay extra for most BUT they are issuing the same license number for the different styled plates.

You get number ABC 1234 on your standard plate then they issue the same number for someone who got the Endangered Wildlife plate. Cops were having trouble tracking offenders as their computer software couldn't track license plate styles only the number. Since it's been a while since reading the article I can't remember what states where the trouble makers.