PDA

View Full Version : The Great Wal-Mart Cantina Clearance of 2003

Old Fossil
10-11-2003, 02:01 AM
Guys, I know this really belongs in Just Found, but I wanted to give a heads up to those still looking to pick up the WM Cantina Bar sets at clearance. Finally, after waiting over a year, I found them marked down in the Clearance aisle for $3 each, or as they were labeled, "Momaw Nadan 2 for $6." Never ceases to amuse me how hard it is for Wal-Mart employees to spell names from the Star Wars universe. Anyway, I got my three sets for $9, and at that price, they are SWEET.

They had been on the clearance aisle for several weeks now, but each time I checked before, the price was still $9.96. It may just be my store doing the $3 thing, but you never know.

thespar
10-11-2003, 08:06 AM
That is the reason so far we have only seem wave 2 of the set of the JMP Auctions. Because Walmart over order a line of items again.

LTBasker
10-11-2003, 11:07 AM
And also: Hasbro chose the least interesting (except Greedo :D) to put out in the first wave. They waited so long for a second wave, the figures didn't provide any real action (no blasters to play with) except for getting drunk. And since Wal-Mart hardly seemed to get anything else shipped to them, they were stuck with their exclusive that was forced to be in majority.

Banthaholic
10-11-2003, 11:42 AM
They waited so long for a second wave, the figures didn't provide any real action (no blasters to play with) except for getting drunk.
Now seeing Greedo drunk, that would be quite the site.

darthzirock
10-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Well, believe it or don't, my local Wally World is still charging $9.96 for the dozen or so Cantina sets they have left. I've seen these at other NC Wal-Marts for as low as $6, even though they have twenty or more sets left! This is the sort of decision left up to the individual store managers, I believe. So, if they really want to blow these things out the doors and make more shelf space available, they reduce them like crazy. Otherwise, they just leave them at high prices and they continue to gather dust and rot on the pegs!

plasticfetish
10-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Just how lame the whole cantina set thing is ... in all this time, I have only ever seen 2 ... no, 3 ... sets at any of the Wal-Marts in our area. Each time, they were completely crushed and mangled also.

Kidhuman
10-11-2003, 08:35 PM
Mine got rid of them a month ago at 2 dollars each. I only got Greedo from them because he was the only one that looked good.

tagmac
10-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Mine never got them in. I actually bought my set from a dealer over a year ago. At this point, I thought about selling them, but I doubt their value will go up unless series 2 gets released (which we all know will never happen).

plo koon 200
10-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Mine had literally hundreds of sets and clearanced them for around a $1. I bought them then. After a week of having them on clearance the leftovers were priced back at $9.96. Go figure (pun intended).

Boba Fetish
10-13-2003, 03:04 AM
Here's one more variation, Walmarts near me got just enough for everyone that collects in Arizona to get them. I think I only saw several go on clearance. Now if this could have been the case everywhere we would have probably seen Wave 2, Damn you Walmart for your poor distribution, and damn you Hasbro for not putting Kitik Keed'kak in the first wave. :frus:

tgr3328
10-14-2003, 09:14 AM
A Walmart 30 miles away clearanced them for $1.50 about 6 - 8 months ago. I finally got the set then. I didn't think it was worth any more since they did not feature any new figures.

My local Walmart just clearanced them for $3 last month. They later marked them down to $1, but by then you most were crushed and there were no Greedos.

kool-aid killer
10-14-2003, 09:59 AM
I think mine are still there at the price of seven dollars apiece. Trust me, i will be skipping those. I doubt they move out at that price. The only way i would buy them is if they were a dollar apiece and thats just because i like the bar section.

TheDarthVader
10-14-2003, 01:04 PM
There has to be some more substance to all of this besides: Wal-Mart has too many cantina sets from wave one so they will not sell wave two. Do any of you remember the great AOTC clearance sale? Wal-Mart was rotting in Jango Fett's Slave One, Jedi Starfighter, basic figures, and some lightsabers (basic and electronic). I remember that I bought a lot of toys during that clearance. Did it stop Wal-Mart from getting more vehicles after that? No. They got the Republic gunship and even the arena battle playset!! So I purpose that it is another one of Wal-Mart's conflicting interest in carrying toys that have "drinking glasses" and in which the setting is based in a "bar". Heck, we've seen this out of Wal-Mart before!! (No more Maxim magazine, or Stuff Magazine, or FHM magazine, or pregnant barbie without a wedding band, or explicit music, or...............etc etc.......could this be the answer?? Yes, no, or I am totally off base here?! :crazed:

Old Fossil
10-14-2003, 05:18 PM
That's a good point... It kind of struck me as funny that a toy one can recreate the Mos Eisley Cantina BAR with is labeled "ages 4+".

I hope that's not the case, though it would not surprise me. It might not bode well for the upcoming Outlander Nightclub figures.

It all points to a vast conspiracy to deprive us of figures!!! :crazed:

BoShek
10-19-2003, 11:49 AM
I waited until they were $3.50 and got the set.

Then I got another Ponda and Hammerhead for $1 each.

And then another Ponda for .25 cents!

Lord of the Sith
10-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Could anyone help me get 4 of these sets? I don't even care if they are loose. All I need are the bar pieces and glasses.

I don't even care if all four are all of the same figures, since as I said, what I really need are the bar pieces, stools and glasses.

Thank you, I'll gladly pay or tradefor them.

OC47150
10-22-2003, 12:42 PM
One of my WMs still have a few Hammerheads and Ponda Babas; I'll have to scan them and see what the price is.

Although other WMs clearanced them out earlier, the two closest to me didn't mark them down until August. I picked up several for $7, and one for $5.

Val Da Car
10-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Planet Action figure.com has the hammerhead and another cantina set for $9.99 for a pair....not a bad price and no shuffling to Wally world

darthzirock
10-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Well, here in western North Carolina, I still haven't seen these priced less than $7, and most of the Wally World's in this area still have them at $9.96. Even the ones that are crushed and look like they are coated in talc are still full price. Yet, they have been moved to the clearance section, and even the shelf stickers with the $9.96 tags on them are clearance-aisle red! It's like some sort of sick, twisted game Wal-Mart is playing, with collectors getting treated like some form of lower lifeform! I'd rather pay Target's $4.79 or TRU's $4.99 than buy figures from Squall-Mart anymore! :mad:

plasticfetish
10-23-2003, 01:27 AM
Yet, they have been moved to the clearance section, and even the shelf stickers with the $9.96 tags on them are clearance-aisle red!
YEAH! That's exactly what the Wal-Mart here had done. I even walked over to an employee and said, "Hmm, this is over on the clearance shelf ... but it's marked at regular price. Can you do a price check for me?" So she walks over to the price scanner that's four feet away from us, the one I'd just used right in front of her, and then she comes back and tells me that it's $9.96. So I say, "Hey, uh ... wouldn't clearance mean that it's marked down?" She says back to me, "No, not in this case. Someone returned it and I don't know where else to put it." Then I suggest, "You could put it over with the rest of the Star Wars figures (which means over next to the 40 or so Bespin Guards that they're waiting for someone to buy.) She says, "Yeah, but it really doesn't go over there." I figure that she's right because it's not a Bespin Guard figure at all.

So I walk over to the "clearance" section, put it down and leave the store ... probably forever.

Dr Zoltar
10-23-2003, 02:54 PM
YEAH! That's exactly what the Wal-Mart here had done. I even walked over to an employee and said, "Hmm, this is over on the clearance shelf ... but it's marked at regular price. Can you do a price check for me?" So she walks over to the price scanner that's four feet away from us, the one I'd just used right in front of her, and then she comes back and tells me that it's $9.96. So I say, "Hey, uh ... wouldn't clearance mean that it's marked down?" She says back to me, "No, not in this case. Someone returned it and I don't know where else to put it." Then I suggest, "You could put it over with the rest of the Star Wars figures (which means over next to the 40 or so Bespin Guards that they're waiting for someone to buy.) She says, "Yeah, but it really doesn't go over there." I figure that she's right because it's not a Bespin Guard figure at all.

So I walk over to the "clearance" section, put it down and leave the store ... probably forever.
That's Wal-Mart for yeah. Alway's looking to hire the best and brightest for minimum wage...