PDA

View Full Version : Bail Organa's gesture.

scruffziller
10-11-2003, 12:15 PM
At the last part of the scene when Palpy and friends are watching the CLone Army assemble. Bail kinda taps on the side of the railing of the balcony looking down as if to say, "Darn it." While everyone else is just looking out across the vastness of clone troops. This clearly defines Bails attitude towards the situation.

Pendo
10-11-2003, 01:28 PM
I love that little bit, something so small has become one of my favourite parts of the movie :)

I'm not sure if Bail is in favor of the clone army, but to me it appears that he is at first, but when he finaly sees the army he just gets that sinking feeling at the bottom of his stomach and thinks "Oh my god, what have we done???" He instantly realises that the galaxy has just entered into a Civil War :D!

PENDO!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-11-2003, 01:42 PM
I just thought he made that gesture and said to himself, "damn, why did i have to leave NYPD Blue?" Could just be me though. :crazed:

2-1B
10-12-2003, 02:30 AM
He is a member of the Loyalist Comittee and one of his strongest allies (Padme) has been working to defeat the creation of a Republic Army. I think it's safe to say he's against it from the beginning. Still, he knows the Separatists are ramping up for an attack . . . so what else can they do?
I miss that scene from the "Clone War" trailer which was cut from the movie. :mad: Bail says something to the effect of "we must stop them before they are ready" and I'll bet that it would have served to better show his unfortunate acceptance of the Clone Army. They were up against the wall. :(

As for the direct point of this thread, I've always loved that "gesture" as well. :)

Good one, Guyute. :D
Myself, I like to think of him saying in a Little Nicky voice, "man that really sucks!" :crazed:

LTBasker
10-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Things he could be thinking:

"Hmm...this cardboard is more realistic than this green screen.."

"If only I had my pistol I could play Clone Duck hunt.."

Yea I'm done.. I've actually missed him doing that, think I'll have to watch AOTC again soon.

bobafett07728
10-16-2003, 11:20 AM
I thought this was a subtle gesture that shows his feelings, but possible one of the most powerful parts of the film. A casual fan may not recognize the significance of Bail's dissapointment, but a fan who knows some of the history immediately "feels his pain." I thought that this was a great way to show his opinion of the situation, rather than have some silly dialogue, or an extra scene. Very minute, but also very powerful. I feel for Bail every time I see that sequence.

El Chuxter
10-16-2003, 12:18 PM
It's a great nod to the backstory fans already know, sorta like "And you, young Skywalker. We will certainly follow your career with great interest!" Most folks don't know Palpatine was Sidious and became Emperor, nor do they know Bail's Leia's adopted daddy.

stillakid
10-16-2003, 12:37 PM
He is a member of the Loyalist Comittee and one of his strongest allies (Padme) has been working to defeat the creation of a Republic Army. I think it's safe to say he's against it from the beginning. Still, he knows the Separatists are ramping up for an attack . . . so what else can they do?
I miss that scene from the "Clone War" trailer which was cut from the movie. :mad: Bail says something to the effect of "we must stop them before they are ready" and I'll bet that it would have served to better show his unfortunate acceptance of the Clone Army. They were up against the wall. :(

As for the direct point of this thread, I've always loved that "gesture" as well. :)

Good one, Guyute. :D
Myself, I like to think of him saying in a Little Nicky voice, "man that really sucks!" :crazed:

I was just thinking this myself. Why is everyone against the creation of an army anyway? Padme included. There are "separatists" forces gathering which, at the very least, will "split" the Republic into "us" and "them." At worst, the "separatists" will become violent and threaten the lives and lifestyles of the "loyalists." Because of the assassination attempts as well as the Naboo confrontation, it is crystal clear that the "separatists" are of a violent mind. Any sane person would arm himself in self-defense.

Maybe Bail just realized that he left his keys in his other jacket.

TheDarthVader
10-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Interesting that you point this out...I have not taken too much notice to it even though I usually spot small gestures/(whatever) like this! Thanks for this thread! I will put in my DVD and look for it shortly! :D

B.

JediTricks
10-17-2003, 05:07 AM
Stilla, the EU claims that the Republic leaves defense up to the individual systems, so giving the job of defense to a single body like the Chancellor of the Republic Senate is putting too much power in the one set of hands and circumventing the balanced defense put up by a coalition of several systems' forces combined. Also, creating an Army of the Republic is feared to make the situation with the growing number of separatist systems far worse by forcing more systems to leave the Republic, and also by forcing the current separatist forces to start building up their own arms in response.

stillakid
10-17-2003, 07:29 AM
Stilla, the EU claims that the Republic leaves defense up to the individual systems, so giving the job of defense to a single body like the Chancellor of the Republic Senate is putting too much power in the one set of hands and circumventing the balanced defense put up by a coalition of several systems' forces combined. Also, creating an Army of the Republic is feared to make the situation with the growing number of separatist systems far worse by forcing more systems to leave the Republic, and also by forcing the current separatist forces to start building up their own arms in response.

His inferences to the Cold War with the Soviet Union have been fairly obvious for years, but did Lucas have something against the UN when he wrote this?

JediTricks
10-17-2003, 08:46 PM
Heck if I know.