PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Arts President quits

plo koon 200
10-12-2003, 04:54 PM
Simon Jeffery's exit surprises industry. LucasArts vice president Mike Nelson named acting GM.

With little warning, LucasArts president Simon Jeffery resigned today. The company issued a brief statement this afternoon saying that Jeffery "has decided to leave the company and return to his native England with his family." No official reason for the exit was given. Mike Nelson, LucasArts' vice president of finance and administration, will serve as acting general manager until a replacement is found.

The announcement, first reported in the Los Angeles Times, surprised many in the game industry. Others, though, saw the resignation as just the most recent in a wave of recent departures, which have included several prominent decision-makers.

"The company is at a crossroads," said one industry insider reflecting on Jeffrey's departure. Another industry source echoed that sentiment, saying that Jeffrey leaves a publisher struggling to transition away from Star Wars-based products and produce original games that can sell in similar numbers. So far, LucasArts' internally-produced non-SW titles have not been much of a force: Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels was cancelled in August, and RTX Red Rock produced both tepid reviews and poor sales.

Jeffery joined LucasArts in 1998 as director of international business and was promoted to president in 2000. While at LucasArts, he oversaw the release of such titles as Knights of the Old Republic, the highly acclaimed Xbox RPG, and Star Wars Galaxies, the popular massively multiplayer game.

Jeffrey's exit comes at the end of a banner year for LucasArts. Star Wars: Galaxies is among the fastest-growing MMORPGs, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remains one of the Xbox's best-selling titles. The publisher's recent PC release Jedi Academy has also won praise, and its upcoming Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike is being eagerly awaited by GameCube owners.

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot

Well, what do you think this will mean for the future of Star Wars video games?

scruffziller
10-13-2003, 06:42 AM
Maybe it was because of creative differences with GL.:D

Lord Malakite
10-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Honestly, I don't think it means much as far as the future of Star Wars games goes. They will continue to sell good. It may seriously hurt LucasArts ability to sell Non-Star Wars games however, as they were already having difficulties with that prior to Jeffery's resignation.

Vortex
10-13-2003, 02:16 PM
I wish lucasarts would get back to releasing titles for all the major systems.

Granted I only own a PC, but I feel shafted when they are gearing the cooler games to the PS2 or Game cube.

The do stuff for the PC that later gets translated for the other venues, but not the other way.

Anyways, as for the departure...I don't think it will hurt lucasarts in the least. They should just stick to specializing in what they do best...Star Wars games.
The other non-star wars titles are hit and miss and like sam and max or the day of the tentical, (have I dated myself) but they need a little more creativity and maybe this will be a good change.

jedi master sal
10-21-2003, 10:17 AM
While Lucasarts has the talent for other ventures, they are known for Star Wars. Making something other than that will be met with a small amount of resistence. Besides, there are numerous ideas that can be had within the Star Wars universe that can be realized into games for years to come.

Just look at Bounty Hunter and KOTOR. One relatively tied to a movie and the other not at all tied to the movies directly and yet a smah hit.

I know they'd (LucasArts) would like to have other successful lines, but the stigma of SW is held high over they're heads. One for which I do not believe they can overcome. Why should they? Maybe they should open a "shadow" company that they produce games under that label for awhile. If those games do really well, then they can come out and say, "Hey, it's been us all along and guess what it's not Star Wars." Or they could just say nothing and reap the benefits of a successful line even without the recognition of LucasArts.

Just my opinion though...