PDA

View Full Version : McFarlane NFL Figures

JetsAndHeels
10-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Does anyone else here on the forums collect the McFarlane NFL figures? If so, you know how difficult it is to find these things. First of all, around here in Raleigh it seems there is nothing on the shelves except for the baseball and the basketball. When the series 6 NFL figures were scheduled to be out in stores, I made an all day toy run across half the state looking for them. It seems like every store had the same story. It was either they were sold out or they didn't order any. They are highest valued McFarlane sports figures out there and yet no one seems to keep them in stock. Ebay has them going for 3 or 4 times face value.
Anyway, does anyone else here collect them? If you do, what is the distribution like where you live? Which ones do you have?
For me I dont have many. I have Wayne Chrebet, Curtis Martin, and Chris Weinke. I have already ordered a case of series 7 because I am not even going to try fighting for them in the stores. Series 7 looks to be the best series made so far. You have Brett Favre, Michael Vick, Chad Pennington, Julius Peppers, David Carr, Clinton Portis, and Jeremy Shockey.
As far as series 6, the main ones I have been looking for are Priest Holmes, Duce McCallister, and the Rich Gannon variant in the Chiefs uniform.

jpak001
10-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Heh... yeah, those NFL McF figs are pretty scarce around here too. They fly off the shelves as soon as they are put out while the MLB, NHL, & NBA's sit & collect dust. Kinda shows you what Americas true pastime is huh?

Being a 49er fan, I only have a Garcia & Owens (wish I had a 49er Rice...). But I look for 'em for a buddy of mine that collects all of 'em. I just found him a Gannon in Chiefs uniform at BigBadToyStore.com for $35. Pretty pricey, but I think that's the chapest you'll ever see it (outside of retail anyways).

Almost been tempted to pick up a Priest Holmes for investment ;)

JetsAndHeels
10-13-2003, 08:35 PM
At this point any of the newer football McFarlanes are a good investment, given their scarcity. For $35, that Gannon variant you picked up was a good deal. Any variant is usually worth 3-6 times what the normal figure is worth. In fact, there are a few variants that are just ridiculously rare and worth a ton, like the "snowy" Tom Brady, the Emmitt Smith in the Cowboys uniform (all the series 6 Emmitts were in his Cardinals uniform), and Brett Favre in the Falcons uniform.
Good luck finding that Jerry Rice in the 49ers jersey. Ebay has them, but they are pricy. Go figure.
Right about now I am not too far from ordering an entire case of series 7. The main one I want is the Pennington since I am a Jets fan, but I also want a Julius Peppers and a Michael Vick.

jpak001
10-13-2003, 11:22 PM
Thanks man, good luck to you on your Pennington hunt too. I've given up on the Rice variant at retail a long time ago. Seen it a few times at a local collectors convention, but they want at least $120.00 for it (ouch!). Hell, I didn't even know they made a Favre Falcons variant. That's pretty interesting, I wonder how many other variants there are out there?

Buying the case is probably a good idea if it's for a fair price. My buddy had to pay $50 just to get a regular version Vick. That's just insane!!!!

2-1B
10-14-2003, 02:18 AM
Only one I have is James Jackson because I'm a Cleveland fan. :rolleyes:
I rarely see these figures around and I really regret not picking up the Favre I found last year (or whenever I found him).

They're doing variants in their old uniforms? That's AWESOME ! Too bad I'll never find them . . .

JetsAndHeels
10-14-2003, 07:55 AM
Yes, Todd McFarlane is putting players in their old uniforms. He is such a sneaky bastard, yet people like me keep coming back for more of his merchandise. He has done Rich Gannon in the chiefs, Emmitt Smith in the Cowboys, Favre in the Falcons, and most recently he has reversed and taken an old Stephen Davis sculpt and put him in his Panthers outfit. This guy just keeps collectors on their toes. Then I dont even need to get into other wacky stuff he has done, like Wayne Chrebet without a helmet, or Marshall Faulk with two left arms, lol. But anyway when series 7 comes out at the end of this month, there is no telling what he will throw in there. It's going to be interesting to see.
Oh, and by the way, when his series 5 NBA comes out, Lebron James and Yao Ming are going to be in there. I imagine those variants are going to be insanely high priced.

QLD
10-17-2003, 08:06 PM
I just started collecting them a few months ago.

I have:

M. Vick
R. Moss
J. Rice
P. Manning
E. James
M. Harrison
W. Chrebet
J. Bettis
S. Davis
A. Thomas
C. Martin
J. Sehorn
M. Brunell
T. Gonzalez
R. Williams
D. McAllister
P. Holmes
R. Gannon
J. Harrington
E. Smith (cards)
D. Bledsoe
M. Alstott
T. Brady
S. Alexander

I am probably going to order a case myself, as Vick will be impossible to find here in Atlanta. I had a lot of luck finding NFL 6 at Gamestop.

figrin bran
10-18-2003, 01:33 AM
i never find any variants at retail and so i have only this modest collection:

faulk
warner
ricky williams
vick
brady
holmes
mcallister
alexander
bledsoe
favre/urlacher 2 pack

i really regret passing up urlacher and tomlinson

bobafrett
10-18-2003, 08:21 AM
I only buy the Chicago Bears, and I couldn't find Urlacher anywhere except at coillector shows for around $100, same as on eBay. Maybe if the Bears keep stinkin up the place, I'll be able to pick one up at a much cheaper price as his value drops. I picked up a Favre for my brother who is a Green Bay fan.

I also have the following:

Anthony Thomas (Bears)

Kerry Wood
Sammy Sosa (Many)
Mark Prior

Jocelyn Thibault (Blackhawks)

I know this is about the McFarlane NFL figures, but I don't see them making to many more of the Bears anytime soon. The team will be lucky to reach 3-13 this year.

Anyone have an extra Urlacher they would be willing to part with? PM me

JetsAndHeels
10-18-2003, 11:56 AM
That's one heck of a lineup you have there Lando. Any of those variants? All of a sudden I am feeling left out because I only have 3 of the NFL, 1 of the NHL, and 1 of the baseball. I had a friend who saw the first Michael Vick (it was a variant) and he passed on it. When he finally realized his utter stupidity for not getting it, he went back to the store and it had already been snatched up. He still beats himself up about it to this day.
As far as the NFL 7 series that will be out soon, I have 2 buddies of mine who broke down and ordered whole cases. I told them both the main one I had to get was Chad Pennington. Second on my list would be Julius Peppers. I figured if they would part with the Vick I would definately take it, but beggars can't really be choosers since they are buying the cases.
McFarlane's website posted what the Super Bowl exclusives will be this season. These are the ones only available at the NFL experience at the game. Since the game is in Houston, they two figures will be David Carr and Eddie George in the retro Houston Oilers uniform. I am sure the George will be on ebay that very day.
Good luck to everyone finding their figures.
If there are any particular ones anyone is looking for, feel free to post them here. I imagine it is harder to find players for local teams, so perhaps we all could help each other out and see what we have in our respective areas.

QLD
10-19-2003, 02:52 AM
None of them are variants. I don't really "do" variants. It always kind of annoys me that they intentionally make figures rare. I open all of mine anyway. :)

I am thinking of pre-ordering the NFL 7 case....that way I can just sell the extras and variants, if there are any.

2-1B
10-19-2003, 11:44 AM
Eddie George in an Oilers uni ? That would be COOL . . . hell, put him in a 3 pack with Earl Campbell and Jerry Glanville. :crazed:

LIMP, if you do indeed have extras from that case to sell, keep me in mind. I may be interested. :)

jjreason
10-20-2003, 12:45 AM
They sell up here, but don't fly off the shelves. If someone wants to post a list of the figures (series VI is up here right now) and the variants, I can definitely pick up the tough ones at my TRU for you guys, if they show up here. I like them, but have been holding off as best I can. I passed on Urlacher back in London 2 Christmases ago - if he's going for $100 bucks I really should have picked him up. I liked the figure of Warren Sapp too, but wanted the "dirty" looking one and could never find it.

QLD
10-20-2003, 03:43 AM
reason....

if you find a Favre in Falcons uniform, Gannon in Chiefs uniform, or an Emmitt in Cowboys uniform, I'd be thrilled if you picked them up for me.

jjreason
10-22-2003, 01:09 AM
I'll keep em peeled LIMP.

I was happy enough to see one of each player they showed on the pkg last time I went - usually there's some freak who snatches up all of whomever's hot at the moment. I looked at - but then passed on - Joey Herrington.

JetsAndHeels
10-22-2003, 07:19 AM
I saw the Derrick Brooks/Rich Gannon 2 pack at Wal-Mart yesterday. It is included in the series 7, so that means the rest of them should be showing up on shelves soon. I was excited just to see something new. Just wanted everyone to know so they could be on the lookout for the new figs.

QLD
10-22-2003, 01:24 PM
I picked up the Gannon/Brooks 2-pack at Wal-Mart on Monday. Made me wishI hadn't gotten the solo Gannon.

Also, I got my 12" Vick from UPS today. I pre-ordered it from Toys R' Us about a week ago. I didn't have time to open it, but the detail on the face looks amazing!

I went ahead and pre-ordered a case of NFL7 from Entertainment Earth, so hopefully I'll get some good extras or variants to trade.

JetsAndHeels
11-05-2003, 10:55 PM
Word on NFL series 7 is that they are going to hit stores next Thursday 11/13.
I am already planning on getting up early and making the runs.
Good luck everyone. Hope you find those figures.

bobafrett
11-05-2003, 11:34 PM
I was at a friends house today, and he had the Brett Favre about to be sacked by Brian Urlacher figure. I had never seen that one, does anybody know when it came out? I'm a Bears fan, and I hate the Pack. I'd like to pick one up, but would like to know what one of these sets are going for. My friend said they only had 1 come into the Wal-Mart near him.

2-1B
11-06-2003, 02:47 AM
How can you hate the Pack? :(
It's weird - they're not even my favorite team but since I live nearby I sometimes find myself nearly defending them against foreign invaders such as yourself. :p
Just kidding, but I will seriously say that Favre and Donald Driver are two of my favorite players in the NFL. :)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I got a pack of Upper Deck Game Used SP last week and I pulled the Favre jersey card, number 18 out of 75. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. :happy:
By the way bobafrett, I also pulled an Urlacher jersey and was delighted because it's a great player. :)

And LIMP, I've been meaning to tell you about the cool Vick jersey card I got, the 2002 Upper Deck SPX Winning Materials and it's got this HUGE swatch (some cards have lil tiny ones) and this wicked rubber part with a rubber Falcons logo. It's awesome !
And then I also pulled a Peerless Price jersey card (with Buffalo) so if Vick comes back strong next year and hooks up with Price, I'm gonna love that pair of cards.

(Thanks for letting me get that card talk out of the way ;) )

McFarlane:

I'm not the one to ask on this, but I don't even remember a Favre/Urlacher boxed set? :confused: Did they make one? At first I thought you meant he just had the single Urlacher about to sack the single Favre but I'm curious to know for certain. :confused:

These figures are really ****ing me off, it's hopeless to try finding them around here. All I saw today was the GLUT of baseball figures and one NBA figure (I think it was Jamison). And of course that NHL 2pack which just sits there. Who's in that one ? Shanahan and . . . I can't recall.
Oh, I stopped at a card shop and the only different figure they had was Joey Harrington. Big deal. :rolleyes:
I might get that Shaun Alexander eventually.

I'm on the hunt for variants and I'll be following this thread to see what comes out. :)

JetsAndHeels
11-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Bobafrett:
The Farve/Urlacher 2 pack was released in series 5. It retails for about $20-$25.
I am unsure if you will be able to find one in the stores now, since it is from an earlier series. My advice is to check at places like KB and if there is nothing there try hobby shops or ebay.
Caesar:
Did you happen to get any Jets cards you are willing to part with? Lately I have been burning ebay up picking up cards I have been wanting. My most recent ones have been a 2002 SPX Santana Moss autograph, a 1999 Upper Deck INKredible Wayne Chrebet auto, 2 different Upper Deck Chad Pennington jersey cards, a couple of old Joe Namath Cards, and a few others. As much as I love to open packs, I would rather just buy the individual cards and save the time and money. And another thing, do you have your Lebron and Carmello rookies yet? Just curious.
But back to McFarlane-like I said the series 7 is slated for next Thursday in retailers. I plan on being at every Wal-Mart, Target, TRU in the metropolitan Raleigh area. I am NOT missing out on these.
Good luck to you all in your hunt!!

bobafrett
11-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Bobafrett:
The Farve/Urlacher 2 pack was released in series 5. It retails for about $20-$25.
I am unsure if you will be able to find one in the stores now, since it is from an earlier series. My advice is to check at places like KB and if there is nothing there try hobby shops or ebay.

Doh, that will be darn near impossible to get around here. Like I mentioned earlier, I only collect Chicago sports teams minus the White Sox. Unfortunatly I don't see most of the McFarlane sports figures until after all the scalpers have made their purchase, leaving not much left behind, and here in Chicago, I'm lucky if I ever see any Chicago teams left on the pegs. Thanks for the info though. If anyone out there might see the Favre/Urlacher 2 pack at their local sports shop for a reasonable price, drop me a PM.........Please!

Caeser, it's hard to love the Packers when my family moves to Wisconsin, all become fans of the Green and Gold, and then rub it in your face everytime the Packers win against the Bears (which is almost always these past 5 years).

2-1B
11-06-2003, 01:26 PM
LOL, good story bobafrett. :D

That's awesome that they made an actual 2 pack of those 2 guys . . . I want to get one ! ! !

Hey Jangy, all I have as far as Jets memorabilia cards are:

(no autographs)

---2001 Pacific double sided game used jerseys of Curtis Martin on one side and Jamal Anderson on the other.

---2003 Bowman's Best Rookie jersey card of lineman DeWayne Robertson. Nice cards! I bought a box of those: I pulled 7 autographs and 3 swatch cards. the funny thing was that I literally opened the box and pulled a Carson Palmer jersey card, then I went out to get the mail and I got a card signed by Carson which I mailed to him c/o the Bengals.

Both of those Jets cards are available if you are interested. :)

JetsAndHeels
11-06-2003, 05:12 PM
Oh yeah, I am interested in those cards.
Anything in particular you are looking for?

2-1B
11-07-2003, 02:02 AM
I sent you a PM. :)

-----------------------------------------------------

LIMP, I just looked up that 12" Vick and it is SWEET.
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one.

2-1B
11-08-2003, 04:32 AM
Tonight I went to a Wal-Mart in Green Bay and they had an endcap STACKED with the Favre/Urlacher and I counted at least 40 of them . . . they were 19.64 (I think) each.

they are from series 5 ? Why did these hit here so late, then? Curious . . .

Anyway I'll be heading back there this week so if anyone might need it, let me know (bobafrett). I'm not sure what it will cost to mail, but I'd guess around $5 or so ?

2-1B
11-08-2003, 04:35 AM
Cool - in the time it took me to make that post, I just snagged a Falcons Favre on eBay. :D

JetsAndHeels
11-08-2003, 07:30 AM
I may be wrong about the 2 pack being from series 5. I am pretty sure about it though, because they hit here in NC long before series 6 did. If it is in series 6 the distribution here is pretty screwed up (which may be a possibility considering how behind we are in SW toys).
You got a Falcons Favre? Congrats. He is one of the most sought out variants, besides the Emmitt in the Cowboys uni.
Also Caesar, one quick note about football cards: If you happen to have any Wayne Chrebet cards you wanna get rid of, I will gladly take them. You may have heard he suffered another concussion and this could be the end for him. The doctors aren't sure yet, but another shot to the dome could do him in. He may have to hang it up for good.
Thanks

figrin bran
11-08-2003, 10:59 AM
Jango, i have a dewayne robertson upper deck jersey card and a bryan thomas bowman's best autograph from last year if yr interested

bobafrett
11-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Tonight I went to a Wal-Mart in Green Bay and they had an endcap STACKED with the Favre/Urlacher and I counted at least 40 of them . . . they were 19.64 (I think) each.

they are from series 5 ? Why did these hit here so late, then? Curious . . .

Anyway I'll be heading back there this week so if anyone might need it, let me know (bobafrett). I'm not sure what it will cost to mail, but I'd guess around $5 or so ?

PM sent sir Caesar!

2-1B
11-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Why doesn't Spawn.com have the 2packs listed along with the carded figures? :(

Damnit I'm so hooked on these now, thanks alot guys. :D
I definitely need to get the new Vick because
a) I don't have the series 4 version
b) I want the new uniform style

this Falcons Favre looks awesome, I don't even mind paying 3 times retail price. :D

I might grab that new David Carr if I see him . . .

2-1B
11-09-2003, 03:24 AM
Jango, just my initial thoughts on what series Favre.Urlacher was in:

the back of my box shows all of the Series 6 players with the tagline "August 2003"

If Gannon/Brooks is already out as a lead in to series 7, then maybe Favre/Urlacher was also technically released after 5 but before 6?

Interesting . . .

I'd still like to find a more complete checklist of all the 2 packs and variants if anyone knows of one . . . :)

JetsAndHeels
11-09-2003, 09:17 PM
The Favre/Urlacher 2 pack more than likely was included in series 6. However in NC they were on the shelves long before the regular series 6 figs were available.
Distribution here really sucks. Did I mention that?
I do not think McFarlane's web site lists the variants, but I do know that the football card price guides list the values on them. It is either Beckett or Tuff Stuff.
Also there is a website I go to that lists card values and figure prices.
www.collect.com
you can get price update from the tuff stuff database.
Hope this helps.

2-1B
11-10-2003, 01:17 AM
Thanks JangyNines but the link was down. I'll try again later. :)

Hey LIMP, can I ask where you ordered your series 7 case from?
I just checked Entertainment Earth and they are preselling the case of 12 figures for 129.99. No guarantees on which players and which variants (if any) will be included.

JetsAndHeels
11-10-2003, 08:59 AM
A couple of my buddies got series 7 cases off of ebay. One of them went ahead and used the "buy it now" since it was only for 5 dollars more and he knew he would automatically have it. Still waiting on those cases to come in to them, because I have been promised a Pennington and Peppers from both of them!! I absolutely cannot wait for this series to be released. It is by far the best looking one so far.
And I know I have mentioned this before, but when the NBA Series 5 comes out, be on the lookout for Lebron!!

jjreason
11-10-2003, 04:21 PM
Anyone else collect the hockey figures? The Canadian Content run has landed here (Tie Domi wave) but the repaints (Habs Roy, Oiler Messier, Nordiques Sakic) aren't anywhere to be found. I have never even seen one of those included in any of the big bunches of these figures I've found at 4 stores. I wonder what's going on with them?

JetsAndHeels
11-11-2003, 08:45 AM
The only hockey one I have is the Ron Francis, because I am a Carolina Hurricanes fan. Even though I don't know most of the players that have been made, the hockey figures have some of the coolest poses and accessories.

QLD
11-12-2003, 03:42 PM
I checked at Gamestop today, but no NFL 7 figs yet. However they did have the new NASCAR figs. Not my bag though. Gamestop is the best place to check early on, if you have one near you, they had NFL 6 on the release day in october, so it stands to reason they may have them on Thursday or Friday, since they are supposed to ship today or tomorrow.

QLD
11-12-2003, 06:12 PM
I just went to TRU on my lunchbreak, and found some NFL 7!!!

They had 6 of them, no variants in sight. I picked up Shockey, Carr, Pennington, Favre, Peppers, and Portis. They didn't have Vick or Ward.

I bought them even though I pre-ordered that case, because I couldn't resist. If anyone finds a Vick or Ward before I do, I'll be thrilled to trade!

Also, I found the McCaffrey/THomas two pack at TRU that I needed! Man, I spent $100 on figs today.....ugh.

JetsAndHeels
11-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Awesome LIMP!! Congrats on your finds.
I am up tomorrow at 6 am and heading out to meet a buddy to go figure hunting. Hopefully I can find a Pennington!! He is my first priority and Peppers is my second.

QLD
11-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Found Hines Ward today.

I also went by another Gamestop today, and they had two unopened cases.

But they wouldn't sell them to me, as apparantly you can reserve cases at their store. They said they aren't even allowed to open them. SO they get first choice....ugh.

The last NFL 7 figure I need is Vick. If anyone finds one and wants to trade or sell it to me for cost + Shipping, I'll be thrilled! It's going to be tough to get here in Atlanta. I imagine I can find any other non-variant NFL 6 or 7 to trade.

****UPDATE

Gamestop called me and told me that someone didn't want all of their figures. I went, and someone had snaked all the variants already, but they still had 1 Vick. So, I grabbed that, and 1 of each other figure to trade.

Caesar, need any NFL 7 for the Favre/Urlacher 2-pack you sent? Or you still want cash? Let me know.

2-1B
11-14-2003, 02:15 AM
Hell yeah, LIMP, let's do some trading if you have extras. I'll PM you . . .

JetsAndHeels
11-14-2003, 11:55 AM
Well I totally racked up yesterday. Went to TRU at opening and they had 2 complete cases on the shelves. Picked up the following:
Pennington
Peppers (variant and regular)
Vick (Variant-red jersey)
Shockey

My buddy got:
Marshall Faulk-Colts Uniform
Hines Ward
Peppers
Clinton Portis

We did really well!! I am so happy!!

2-1B
11-15-2003, 02:08 AM
Congrats ! :)

Wow, Colts Faulk - I'll need to get me one of those. :D

I like the look of that vick variant even though they don't play in red . . . I want them to do a (good) Browns player in their orange jersey. :)

I got my Falcons Favre in the mail today and it's MEGA sweet ! :happy:

JetsAndHeels
11-15-2003, 01:15 PM
I have a friend who lives down in Wilmington and he walked into an EB and found both the Favre Falcons and Gannon Chiefs. He always has that kind of luck while I am up here in Raleigh struggling just to find a regular figure. But I can't complain after the day I had Thursday. Who am I kidding, he is still a lucky bastard!! :D
Anyway, if I can find myself a Pennington variant I will be one happy camper.

2-1B
11-15-2003, 09:09 PM
I'm on the lookout for your Pennnington variant.

I walked into a Wal-Mart today and was DELIGHTED to see an end cap of McFarlane but then I got closer and they were series 6. :(

However I later went to TRU and SCORE! they had most of series 7. No variants but I did get my white jersey Vick. I passed on Ward, Shockey, Pennington (sorry JF96 :D ), Clinton Portis, Julius Peppers (I have one on the way), and Carr as well. I may get Carr down the road but I will wait for now. The only one I didn't see was Favre which is not surprising since he's the regional favorite. I have him on the way as well. ;)

I also picked up the 12" Vick.

Basically all I'm looking for now is the Colts Faulk. :)

figrin bran
11-15-2003, 10:33 PM
i found the remnants of the series 7 shipment at my local TRU and couldn't find the ones i really wanted - Ward and Portis but i did get Pennington at least :) i would love a colts faulk but i've never found ANY variants at retail around here :(

JetsAndHeels
11-16-2003, 08:10 AM
Hey Caesar, I will keep an eye out for a Colts Faulk. I periodically check back to that TRU where I scored big. They usually get the new stuff on the shelves first so that is where I have had my success. I will keep you updated.
I have seen several Favres here if you want one.
Also, did you get the cards I mailed you? You should have them now since I mailed them on Wednesday.

JetsAndHeels
11-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Just wanted to bump this thread back up and see if anyone had made any finds this week. It's been the usual figures for me here since my initial success last Thursday, but I am still keeping an eye out for a couple figures.
I shared this story already with Caesar but I am interested to hear what the rest of you think concerning McFarlanes sports picks and employees.
My friend that went with me last Thursday called me on Sunday and told me about a problem he had at his local TRU. Apparently a case of the McFarlane racing figures had come in and was sitting on the sales floor unopened. Well he wanted to pick up an Earnhardt Jr so he went to open it and get him one out. An employee saw him doing it and stopped him immediately, saying they were not ready for sale. My friend argued that they were on the sales floor, and sitting just underneath the actual shelf they would be put on so it was fair game. The employee makes up some bs story about how they aren't put into their computer yet or some crap like that. Basically just another example of some employees trying to pull a quick one on us. These items are for us to buy. We are customers. That is what we do.
So the point of this is for me to ask you all-do you have this problem at your TRU or KB? More than likely you do, but it seems here in Raleigh we just get the worst when it comes to people lying or holding stuff back for their buddies or dealers who slip them some green. That is why this stuff is so hard to come by, yet it is in abundance in hobby shops and on ebay. I think it is a shame that we have to literally fight against these people just to get a couple of figures. If you check the forums on McFarlane's website, you will see how many people are getting fed up with being lied to and having merchandise held back from them.
Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to vent a bit.
Any thoughts?

QLD
11-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Well, it is particularly bad with McFarlane figures because of the "chase" figures.

I hate when companies intentionally make rare figures. By now, just about every retailer knows he can sell these things on ebay for more than retail price, so most of the time they don't make the floor.

If McFarlane could lay off the chase figures a little, the problem wouldn't be quite as bad as it is.

I can say, that I have only once seen a chace figure at retail. That was a grey Greg Maddux figure. It also, is the easiest variant to find.

JetsAndHeels
11-25-2003, 07:33 AM
This past Sunday I met up with a couple of my buddies to watch football, and when I got to their apartment I noticed he had every series 7 variant except the Pennington. He had them all on his mantle, and he called it the "variant shelf." Looked nice with all those chase figures there.
About 7pm after dinner we took a short drive over to TRU and upon our arrival there was a Jason Sehorn and a Brett Favre variant on the pegs. I did not buy either of these, but one of my friends made a mad dash over that way to grab them. He was so excited and it reminded me of the good old days when I used to hunt Star Wars like that (of course that was when the stores actually had new stuff around here). All in all it was a great weekend.
Has anyone else scored any new stuff?

QLD
11-25-2003, 11:30 AM
I managed to pick up a Colts Faulk from a friend who manages an EB. He held it for me. It's pretty sweet, and the first variant I have scored. I don't usually bother with them though.

bobafrett
11-25-2003, 07:39 PM
Well, I realize this is the McFarlane thread, but has anyone seen the EXtreme Athletes set? I picked up a Brian Urlacher today from this line. I really like it, they aren't realistic, they look more like a cartoon, but they come with soft good uniforms and stand I would guess in the 10" range. They are made by Mezco, and they also have Michael Vick, and Warren (Fat butt) Sapp. I picked up one of the two last Urlachers, and my Green Bay loving buddy bought the last one they had out.

As far as the question about employees not allowing you to go through boxes of figures, I think it's BS. I go to the Wal-Mart near my house just before closing when I can. There is a guy who works down in sporting goods who will jump down your throat if he sees you attempting to open a box of new figures. I guess they had a problem with one guy who would rip through the how wheel boxes and leave the ones he didn't want strewn about the floor or in a mess on the pallet. Not everyone is like that one person. I'll put any figures I'm not going to purchase out on a peg. But then I did work for WM and had kept a box or so set aside for my own purchasing pleasure.

jjreason
12-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Hey, I know it's not new but I found a black Rich Gannon today. Not sure if it was the harder one to get, I bought it as the pkg showed the white one. If anyone wants it, let me know as I don't collect the line. I figured one of us should benefit over some scalper (okay, first I thought "I'll sell this bad boy on ebay!" but then I came to my senses......). :D

aceguide
12-10-2003, 08:32 AM
I like the NFL figs - but have a better collection of NHL. All Avs - Sakic chase (white) Forsberg and Roy (repaint from ebay - well done).

Looking for the next wave but have yet to see it. Also considering the Blake double set - but can't bring myself to buy something with the wings in it...

aceguide
01-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Well - I found Portis for my brother for Christmas - a very nice sculpt.

Also picked up the new Roy - but passed on Selane.

johnalanmichael
06-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Wow! Is there anyone still here? LOL! I've recently begun collecting these & I live the hunt but I can never find these on the shelves ANYWHERE! If thre is a different/better thread somewhere please let me know! I need to know how & where to find these somewhere other than eBay, none of the retailers EVER have variants! I guess the dealers swoop in & get them all.