PDA

View Full Version : Young Guns I & II - Ride Billy, Ride!

Tycho
10-15-2003, 03:42 PM
OK, these have to be some of my top 20 favorite movies of all time.

I love the music on YGII (Allan Silvestri I believe).

If I could have chosen to live in other times, or had to pick the Old Wild West, I would have ridden with Billy the Kid's gang!

Man, the glory and gun battles!

In recent news (true story) the current Lincoln County Sheriff and Lincoln Town Marshall, want the body of Mrs. Anrtim, Billy's mother, exhumed, so they can do DNA testing to see if Bushy Bill Roberts who died in the 1950's, was in fact Billy the Kid.

Now Billy was supposedly:

Henry McCarty
William Antrim
William Bonnie (best known alias)
William Roberts

I think the details in the movie made it possible that Chavez is burried in Billy's grave, next to Charlie Bowdre.

Somehow, it's plausible that Pat Garret didn't shoot them, but they concocted a scheme to get Billy out of there, and not have the body identified except by those who would support their cover story (that Billy was gunned down dead).

I also wonder if he had any surviving decendents, from somewhere? Paulita Maxwell have kids? Lady Jane Greyhouse? It would be interesting to know if there was a well-kept family secret out there.

But it doesn't feel right exhuming the remains of Mrs. Antrim! Does that strike you wrong or what? And at the same time, we're darn curious.

Is exhuming the grave disrespectful? I mean I'm sure they'll put her back, but...

There are possibly many graves of famous people that are known. I'm not sure, but is George Washington's grave known? Are they going to exhume him and clone him one day?

What are the laws regarding exhuming bodies?

In criminal investigations, I can see how it applies. But with Billy the Kid, it's incredibly far-fetched that the present cronies running Lincoln County want to solve old murder cases from the 1800's. And if pardoning Bushy Bill Roberts (because he really was Billy) is feasible, I doubt the Lincoln County club has any interest in seeing that done. This is probably a stunt for tourist dollars. (I've been there and the whole town revolves around the legend of Billy the Kid - and that's why I went). But would Mrs. Antrim want her body's last resting place to be disturbed so that even her son could be identified? - and for what? Roberts is dead. What good is a pardon going to do him? Everyone and their immediate families that were harmed by the Lincoln County War is almost dead and gone (Sherrif Brady's son or grandchildren are still alive and supposedly still ticked that Billy murdered their dad - as if their dad didn't profit from the murder of John Tunstall!) But what good is it going to do? Bring Grandpa's long-dead killer to justice with new DNA evidence? That's going too far for little gain.

I'd almost say I'm 100% certain that leaving Billy's mother alone is the right thing to do!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Ok, i'm going to try to stick with the movie and dive into the other crap dealing with the legend.

I love these flicks and i must say that i prefer II over I. I mean, how can one ever resist singing, "Shot....DOWN, in a blaaaaaaaaaze of gloooooooooooooory!"?!?!?

I do find it interesting what the movie did in dealing with Chavez possibly being buried in Billy's spot; very clever indeed. I highly recommend those who enjoy these flicks to look up some info on good ole' William H. Bonney. The movies did a fairly good shot of portraying how good of a marksman he was. Excellent movies!! Probably the best flicks of Emilio Estevez career, where ever that career ran off to. :D

Tonysmo
10-15-2003, 08:34 PM
I too love these two movies - How could you not like " That's the best buck eighty I ever spent!" To many great lines in those movies. Besides the movies, I have no real knowledge of the Billy the Kid legend. Being from Missouri - It's all about the Jesse James. I live about 50 miles from where he hid himself and his loot at the Meremac Caverns. round here.. It's all about the James. They too have been doing the same thing with trying to exhume his body. They say he's either here - or in Texas.. who knows. Ahh.. time to pull out the DVD..

Tycho
11-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Jedi Master Guyute turned me on to this site:

http://www.aboutbillythekid.com/index.html

It really lays down the truth about what happened to Billy, and is pages upon pages of great information. Everyone will find something of interest there.

It's the best Billy site I've ever seen! I spent 2 hours there yesterday!

Irrefutable evidence is presented to demonstrate that Billy was shot and killed by Pat Garret in 1881, and was not at all Brushy Bill Roberts, who tried to usurp Billy's legend.

All the events and facts of the Young Guns films are compared to what happened in real life, as well. Plus there is another possible true picture of the real Billy, that has recently surfaced in a private collection.

Dang this is a great site - and it's updated regularly!

Tycho
07-27-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm in the process of watching the Young Guns flicks again right now. I actually love the music to film #1 as well. The development of Doc Scurlock's character (Kiefer Sutherland) is really well done. Billy is great!

I confess that Billy the Kid has always been a really great hero for me. Watching the first film again brought tears to my eyes as the Regulators shot their way out of the Great McSween Fire.

I'm off to watch Young Guns II now.

El Chuxter
10-24-2009, 08:40 PM
T, the music for Young Guns II was by Jon Bon Jovi, with input from Little Richard, Elton John, and Jeff Beck. It's one of the great soundtracks of the 1990s, and Jon's best solo album.

Tycho
10-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I have the solo album with vocals, but what I'd really like is the instrumental music used during the movie. That was some awesome stuff. I think it was Silvestri or another name that would be familiar if I'd just recall it. Maybe it was already mentioned in this thread? I only read your post immediately preceeding this one of my own, Chux.

El Chuxter
10-24-2009, 08:44 PM
It was Alan Silvestri who composed the score. I think the only commercially-released track was "Guano City," the very short number at the end of JBJ's album.

Tycho
10-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Too bad. That is great music! (Silvestri)

El Chuxter
10-25-2009, 03:01 AM
Silvestri usually is. He's not in what I'd consider my top five active composers (Williams, Elfman, Horner, Howard, and Giacchiano), but he's done some really good stuff. I love his Lilo & Stitch score.