PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of Hoth Tauntaun Question

bobafett07728
10-16-2003, 12:43 PM
I know that this is old news, but I noticed that The Battle of Hoth sets come with either Han, or Luke's Tauntuan. I haven't bought the set yet, and was wondering which, if either, is the tougher of the two. I can't economically justify buying both right now, but if I waited for one of them. . . which one would you wait on. I'm trying to avoid buying one, and then having to shell out big bucks down the road for the one I passed up on. I am leaning towards buying the version with Luke's beast, but thought I'd run it past all the forumites first. Thanks everyone!

Turbowars
10-16-2003, 07:29 PM
I know that this is old news, but I noticed that The Battle of Hoth sets come with either Han, or Luke's Tauntuan. I haven't bought the set yet, and was wondering which, if either, is the tougher of the two. I can't economically justify buying both right now, but if I waited for one of them. . . which one would you wait on. I'm trying to avoid buying one, and then having to shell out big bucks down the road for the one I passed up on. I am leaning towards buying the version with Luke's beast, but thought I'd run it past all the forumites first. Thanks everyone!Well you wont have a problem with finding Luke's Tauntaun with broked Hone, becaue these are the ones shipping now. Han's versions have come and gone. Maybe there are still some out there, but like I said Luke's is everywhere. To tell you the truth the R3 unit is the only figure worth getting the set for. The Tauntaun is cheaply made IMO and the other suck, but I do kind of like Chewy.

bobafett07728
10-17-2003, 09:46 AM
Thanks turbo. I didn't know which one was shipping, the TRU near me had thier stock split evenly between the two. Funny you mentioned that the Luke Tautaun version is the one shipping. . . that isn't the one that get's its belly sliced, is it? You would think, for movie accuracy, that Han's Tauntaun would be the one shipped, rather than the other "mistake" version. Anyway, thanks again for your input, I'll probably be picking one of these up over the weekend.

JEDIpartner
10-17-2003, 10:27 AM
I got the one with the "broken horn" version. Turbo is right about the set on the whole. The Taun Taun is pretty cheaply made but the paint deco is great. The Astromech rocks!!!! I was happy to get Chewie's bowcaster without having to get an older figure.

These sets haven't much to offer on the whole, but there are pieces of each that are worth getting!!!

TheDarthVader
10-17-2003, 11:17 AM
I didn't realize that there were two different taun-tauns shipping. Thanks for the info! (No, I will not buy two and I have already bought the belly-opened taun-taun).

mtriv73
10-17-2003, 11:23 AM
If I can find it I plan on getting both sets. I think the Taun-Taun's are great. The paint is a lot better than the POTF version and despite playing with the broken horn version for several weeks, I've had no problems with it. I like the way Hasbro released a "variation" so that collectors could pick up both Luke and Han's Taun-Tauns with the new paint deco. I don't believe for a second that they just made a mistake releasing the broken horn first. I think they're doing it on purpose to give us a chance to get both. Anyway, these 4 packs have been well worth the money so far, I'd buy them just for the astromechs, but getting small vehicles and creatures just makes it even sweeter.

Turbowars
10-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks turbo. I didn't know which one was shipping, the TRU near me had thier stock split evenly between the two. Funny you mentioned that the Luke Tautaun version is the one shipping. . . that isn't the one that get's its belly sliced, is it? You would think, for movie accuracy, that Han's Tauntaun would be the one shipped, rather than the other "mistake" version. Anyway, thanks again for your input, I'll probably be picking one of these up over the weekend. Hey not problem. I haven't seen a Han Tauntaun in stores. IMO that's the only one that should have shipped.

Turbowars
10-17-2003, 06:04 PM
I didn't realize that there were two different taun-tauns shipping. Thanks for the info! (No, I will not buy two and I have already bought the belly-opened taun-taun). Both Tauntaunas have slit bellies. It's hard as hell to stick Luke inside.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-24-2003, 01:46 AM
I just found some last week, but I think I forgot to check to see which version they were. The one I got has the broken horn I believe. If they had both and I had noticed, I would have got the one without.

I agree that the astromech alone makes these worth getting. Also, I feel like I can open these sets and display them, whereas most of my figures I don't open. Thus I get versions of older figures that I can display.

Another thing I noticed is that the Leia in this set sort of looks like she is black.

AmanaMatt
10-24-2003, 02:31 PM
I have yet to see this at any store in Ca.

Hellboy
10-24-2003, 05:51 PM
Another thing I noticed is that the Leia in this set sort of looks like she is black.

Leia's face looks very similar to the AT-ST driver from the Imperial Forces 4-pack. Neither seem to have any color in their faces making them appear rather dead looking. :dead:

Turbowars
10-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Another thing I noticed is that the Leia in this set sort of looks like she is black.Is that a problem? J/K, I noticed that too. I was using the old Hoth Leia in a Diorama and when I heard about the set I was happy to hear that there was another figure besides R3 that I could use. Well when I got the set, I looked at her face and said What the F---. I compared the old to the new and I decided to do a head swap using the Boil and pop method. So now my Bacta Tank Dio looks a bit more like the film. Just thought I would share that with you all.:p

Mandalorian Candidat
10-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Leia's face looks very similar to the AT-ST driver from the Imperial Forces 4-pack. Neither seem to have any color in their faces making them appear rather dead looking. :dead:

So first she looks like a monkey, now she looks like a man. If I were Carrie Fisher I'd be ticked off at Hasbro.

The AT-ST driver wasn't all that great either. All the ones I saw had him with crossed eyes.

Turbowars
10-24-2003, 07:05 PM
So first she looks like a monkey, now she looks like a man. If I were Carrie Fisher I'd be ticked off at Hasbro.

.The thing is, Fisher does look like a man. Kenner and Hasbro just were ahead of the times. :D

Figurestasher
10-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Hey guys....the TRU's from the Santa Clarita valley to the SF Valley that I have been to, have plenty of both versions of this set. Luke's and Han's Taun Taun. Neither one or the other seems rare to me unless someone decides to stockplie one version over the other. I guess time will tell. It is probably best to get the one you can find or the one you like the best.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-24-2003, 11:46 PM
Went to TRU today and saw both versions of it. I only looked at three and two had two good horns, one had the broken one. They had at least six more on the top shelf that I couldn't reach so I don't know what those were. I already had the broken horn version, but I decided to get the intact horns version today.

Oh, and the black Leia isn't a problem. Now I can imagine how the movie would be with Halle Berry as Leia. :crazed:

plasticfetish
11-29-2003, 02:22 AM
Found the set with Han's tauntaun today at TRU. First off, Hoth Han does fit pretty darn nicely on the tauntaun. (Pic below.) This version came with the belly already slit open, and I've noticed that the heads are sculpted in a slightly different way. The mouth on Han's is a bit different.

So ... they're still out there, and I still give this set a thumbs up.

AmanaMatt
11-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Well, the one and only time I saw this (couple weeks back in City of Industry), the TRU there had the Han Tauntaun only, and as this is the version I want, I was more than happy to pick this up.

Well, as for the Tauntaun being cheaply made, I dunno - seems great to me. The deco is a bit different and not as well detailed perhaps, but I love the lack of a action gimmack, so unlike the original POTF2 Luke (later replaced with a POTF2 Han) Tauntaun, this can be posed to stand tall, which I really prefer.

For me, the Tauntan, the R2 unit and the Snow Chewie are cool pieces - the others can be discarded, but for $20 bucks, that is quite a deal.

So, for this set, the Han Tauntaun came out, only to be replaced with an incorrect Luke Tauntaun?!?! I thought it was the other way around, actually. Well, the Han version is out there - I haven't even seen a Luke version ironically.

darthzirock
11-29-2003, 11:33 AM
So, for this set, the Han Tauntaun came out, only to be replaced with an incorrect Luke Tauntaun?!?! I thought it was the other way around, actually. Well, the Han version is out there - I haven't even seen a Luke version ironically.

Actually, both versions were released simultaneously. Some parts of the USA got the Luke ones first, others got the Han one first. Eventually, both versions managed to get to most TRU's, with very few exceptions (such as areas where they sold so poorly that no new cases were ordered).

darthzirock
11-29-2003, 11:48 AM
The thing is, Fisher does look like a man. Kenner and Hasbro just were ahead of the times. :D

Do Carrie Fisher and Jamie Lee Curtis have the same genetic defect that turn them manly after they hit 40, or is it just from decades of the "Hollywood lifestyle"?

Oh, and the black Leia isn't a problem. Now I can imagine how the movie would be with Halle Berry as Leia. :crazed:

Well, Halle Berry as Leia is a better idea than Halle Berry as Catwoman! Hmmm, Luke with a Black sister ... so, the Midi-Chlorians are multi-ethnic? Cool! Up next, Jackie Chan as Lobot! :D

Turbowars
11-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Now that I see the Han on Tauntaun, I want the Han tauntaun set. My TRU hasn't gotten any in. Most likey I wasn't there when they did.