PDA

View Full Version : Dagobah Playset

karinations
06-12-2003, 12:38 AM
Just got a Dagobah playset and (like all of them)the sponge is rotted out and turns to dust when you touch it.
So i pulled it all out and went and bought one of those moist sponge cleaning spongas and stuck that in the slot but that after a few days dried out completely.
If anyone here had a loose Dagobah what did u use to replace the sponge.

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

evenflow
06-12-2003, 12:45 PM
I am not sure why, but the original sponge in mine is still in pretty good condition. I am not saying its perfect, but it is still good. I am afraid to touch it to corrupt it any further though.

LusiferSam
06-12-2003, 09:26 PM
I've got to agree with evenflow. My foam is there and I'm scared to touch it.

As for replacing it, my guess is that the original is a foam rubber rather then a "sponge." You might be able to buy a small pad at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target or where ever you prefer. I'd assume your going to buy more then you need as the smallest I've seen are many times the size you'll use. The color will be wrong be the texture should be right.

Dialogus
06-13-2003, 12:50 AM
How about this...

Find or buy one white piece of foam, shape it into form then soak it in some kind of dark brown liquid for a few days. Let dry.

That should do it.

karinations
06-13-2003, 02:52 AM
Maybe tea even?

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

LusiferSam
06-13-2003, 01:00 PM
Tea would make it look old. I'd use a watery tempera paint. Tempera paint is the stuff most kids use in elementary school.

stillakid
06-13-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by karinations
what did u use to replace the sponge.

You could get the three month shot or the IUD. ;)

But no, my sponge is still attached as the playset is still MIB at the moment. I think that the "best" solution is to just fill the hole with mud whenever you want to play with it. ;) Or just some of that gooey crap that kids play with. Or just cover the hole with a picture of a slimy mudhole. There isn't much you can put in there anyway.

Kidhuman
06-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
You could get the three month shot or the IUD. ;)

That was a good one.

Jayspawn
06-20-2003, 11:49 AM
The sponge has rotted away in my Dagobah playset. I plan on replacing it with a foam piece and securing it in the pegs that held the original one in place. I was gonna soak it in tea and put drops of green food coloring on the sponge to distort the color.

karinations
06-20-2003, 12:35 PM
I went and cut a chunk out of the seat in my living room couch.
I just unzipped one of the cushions and cut a hunk out with scissors.
It feels exactly like the original foam it's just yellow.
To get the opening from the original i just folded the piece of cushion and made 2 small cuts vertically and horizontally and that created the same effect.
I tried staining it with coffee but it just ran off and didn't stick.
It actually doesn't look to bad with the yellow foam it almost looks kind of natural.

-V-

http://www.karinations.com

jpak001
06-24-2003, 03:11 AM
Heh, that rotted off my old Dagobah set I had years ago too.

I was working a warehousing job back then and found some green packing foam that worked perfect. I just tore it into shape and stuck it in there, lasted for years!

jedi-cpa
10-16-2003, 02:05 PM
My foan that was once the swamp has turned into an oily mess. Anyone else encounter the same thing?

LusiferSam
10-16-2003, 04:33 PM
An oily mess? I can't say I've heard that one before. Can you describe it bit more or better yet post a picture? Most of the time I hear about foam that is crumbly and turning to dust. Also where do you live (general part of the world is fine)? Humidity and temperature play a roll in how stuff lasts.

bobafett07728
10-16-2003, 04:45 PM
I don't remember an oily mess, but I do remember that my foam became quite tacky, and pretty much disintegrated on the touch. I removed it all, and cleaned it off with goo gone. I assumed it was a combination of its old age, and heat, but I am not 100% sure. I replaced it with a similar colored peice of foam I received with something (can't remember what it was.) cut it to size, made the two slits, two holes for the posts, and put it back in place. It was pretty easy to replace, the tough part was finding the foam in that color. Now, I just hope that the new foam doesn't disitegrate.

Kidhuman
10-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Click Here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19817)

It was discussed in this thread.

JEDIpartner
10-17-2003, 12:55 PM
I checked mine out and removed it a little while back. I still haven't replaced the "swamp" but will probably just use the foam used for aircon stripping or even soundproofing.

Darth Fett
11-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Coat the plastic swap with a rubber coating, put in some dryice in the swamp for a real bad *** effect.....screw the foam...