PDA

View Full Version : What works for those shaving nicks

Exhaust Port
10-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Anyone have some tricks to stopping a shaving nick from bleeding? The toilet paper on the face thing works but not all the time. Most times the bleeding stops until I remove the paper and it's like pulling off a scab and the bleeding starts again. Today I was bleeding all the way to work and it started again while at work.

plo koon 200
10-16-2003, 09:23 PM
If anyone could answer that I would also greatly appreciate it.

JetsAndHeels
10-16-2003, 09:29 PM
I think all of us are eagerly awaiting an answer to this one.

bobafrett
10-17-2003, 12:25 AM
I use a product made by Pinaud called "Dab-On Nick Relief". You literally dab it on and it works pretty good most of the time. It stings slightly, and won't stop the bleeding if you cut a major section of skin like I do when I'm in a rush. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart near the after shave products I believe. Ask around at the store.

DarthChuckMc
10-17-2003, 01:03 AM
a small dab of vaseline on a Q-tip usually does the trick...if it can work for a boxers split open eye, it can work for a razor nick ;)

Exhaust Port
10-17-2003, 01:34 AM
I use a product made by Pinaud called "Dab-On Nick Relief". You literally dab it on and it works pretty good most of the time. It stings slightly, and won't stop the bleeding if you cut a major section of skin like I do when I'm in a rush. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart near the after shave products I believe. Ask around at the store.
The problem is that I need the most help with my more major nicks that won't stop bleeding. I'll give this a try though as it's better than walking around with a tissue and constantly dabbing the blood off my face.

If this doesn't work then I'm using DarthChuckMC's idea. :)

plasticfetish
10-17-2003, 03:56 AM
The problem is that I need the most help with my more major nicks that won't stop bleeding.
I would say that you might want to consider a trip to the hospital if the cut is very severe. What are you shaving with anyway?
Kidding.

The thing that bobafrett mentioned sounds like a "styptic pencil." It's a small stick, made from alum I think, that you use to dab on the cut. I honestly don't use them myself ... they sting pretty good, but that's the traditional (and effective) way of dealing with a basic shaving cut. For bigger cuts, you're just going to have to put a band-aid on it and let it heal up. Toilet paper can stop the blood, but like you've noticed, if the cut hasn't clotted properly it'll start up again.

More importantly ... try to use a good, sharp razor and soak your beard with a hot washcloth before you shave. The hot water softens your beard and opens up the pores on your skin ... kind of preps your skin for the brutal act of carving the hair off of your face.

So, to review ... clean your face with a good "clean" soap. A simple inexpensive glycerin works fine, one with no added perfumes or anything. Soften your beard with a hot rag and then shave carefully. Wipe the shaving soap, creme, gel or whatever off ... don't rinse. Tone your skin with some kind of astringent to remove dead skin cells and oils. It'll tighten up your pores protecting them from infection (pimples.) A very simple witch hazel pad can be used ... nothing fancy. Lastly, lubricate your skin ... a very simple "clean" face lotion works fine. If your skin dries out, it's more likely to break out and then you'll end up shaving those bumps off and bleeding to death.

Well, there you have it from the guy that worked in a department store selling men's cologne and shaving goods back in college. The best thing that I learned from that job was that most of the junk you buy in a department store isn't worth the money. You can find much cheaper and in most cases better versions of the same stuff in your local drug store.

... or you can grow a beard.

JediTricks
10-17-2003, 05:05 AM
I almost never have nicks, the last time I had cuts shaving was due to the razor accidentally being moved sideways instead of up and down. However, I would think that honey might be good for this - it has antibiotic properties, contains hydrogen peroxide for killing germs, reduces inflammation, speeds growth of healthy tissue, lessens scarring and wound pain after initial application (it may sting a little when it's being applied), is totally safe (except for children under 1, and then, why are you shaving your kid anyway?), is sticky so it won't come off unwantedly, and is thick to act as a protective barrier. It's even been approved by the Australian government as a medicine.

bobafrett
10-17-2003, 09:12 AM
I haven't nicked my face in quite sometime. I don't know if it's the razor I use, but I do find that letting the shaving foam sit on my face for about 5 minutes softens the beard hair quite nicely. I also start with the sides, and leave the chin and mustache area for last, letting the shave cream really soften the hardest area to shave.

I think I'll use some of the other tips that PlasticFetish talked about. I've read that in a Men's health magazine, but when I went to write down glycerin and astringent I couldn't find the article anymore.

Sentinel18725
10-17-2003, 10:20 AM
The styptic pencil works well. It does sting but that is the case with most of them. Look into buying one. I also have not had a cut in a while, but I don't know if that is technique or the blade that I am using. Step up to a good blade, it will help. I use the Mach3 Turbo.

Exhaust Port
10-17-2003, 10:26 AM
More importantly ... try to use a good, sharp razor and soak your beard with a hot washcloth before you shave. The hot water softens your beard and opens up the pores on your skin ... kind of preps your skin for the brutal act of carving the hair off of your face.
It's pretty rare that I nick myself as I shave in the shower. It's amazing how much better a shave you get in a hot shower than you do standing at a sink. I attribute that to my infrequent nicks, but.....it seems when I do get a nick I can't treat it very well. Part of the problem is my inexperience with them due to their infrequency, the other part is I don't have time to deal with it. I cut my morning routine down to the minimum time not leaving much time to fix a bleeding nick.

Any other shower shavers out there?

billfremore
10-17-2003, 11:12 AM
I am a shower shaver.
I find it so much easier on my sensitive skin and it saves me time in the morning, and I have not had a nick in years.

bobafrett
10-17-2003, 01:08 PM
The only problem I have with shaving in the shower, is my shower curtains are to heavy, and don't let much light in, so I always end up missing a section or two that I don't see until I get to work. I try to shave as soon as I get out of the shower as the room is still heated with the steam.

Exhaust Port
10-17-2003, 02:06 PM
I want to get one of those no-fog shower mirrors to aid in shaving in the shower. I end up using the reflection in the shower head to help. :)

That reminds me of a funny shaving story. A few years ago when I had a roommate I was home alone and shaving using an electric razor. While I was shaving I was also getting ready to go out of town for a few days to visit a friend. My shaving and packing got interupted by phone call that turned out to be the parents of my roommate. They had an important message for him but since he wasn't home they wanted me to pass on the information. The message was "Tell him that his grandmother died."

:eek::dead::zzz:

What? I'm not telling him that! So I ended up just leaving a note telling him to call his parents as they had to tell him something. I'm not going to be the one to tell him that his grandmother died. ssheesh...

After writing the note I grabbed the last of my things and headed out to the car to begin my 3 hour drive. About 2 hours into my drive I realized that I had forgotten something. It wasn't clothes or a pillow.....it was to finish shaving. He I was driving down the road and exactly half my face was nice and smooth while the other half had a few weeks of stubble. Crap. I made every attempt not to look directly at other drivers to keep them from seeing my 50/50 face. The kicker was I didn't have any shaving stuff with me, that was the point of shaving before I left.

When I finally got to my buddy's house I quickly explained my look before he could comment on it and then proceeded to ask to borrow his razor. It felt a bit weird to shave with someone else's razor but I didn't care, I needed to finish what I started 3 hours prior. :D

JetsAndHeels
10-17-2003, 02:32 PM
This is a great thread here, because it has some good advice that I can really use. I usually nick myself every other time I shave or so. It happens at least 2 or 3 times a week, so I usually end up walking around with the toilet tissue.
The most annoying is when it happens and the girlfriend gets onto me. It seems I never nick myself when I am not going to see her. When I do, I get at least 1 or 2 nicks.

El Chuxter
10-17-2003, 03:16 PM
What works for those shaving nicks?

I just tell Nick to shave himself. I'm not into shaving people because they're too lazy to take care of themselves. :crazed:

Tonysmo
10-17-2003, 11:50 PM
If im shaving.. and I get a cut, I normally just use my listerien mouthwash.. stuff burns so bad that once it quits burning you forgotten why you put on your face to begin with.

lessoned learned many years ago - never shave while on "enhancements"..

plasticfetish
10-18-2003, 02:20 AM
never shave while on "enhancements"..
You mean like ... platform shoes?

scruffziller
10-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Liquid Band Aid.:D ....... seriously.

Exhaust Port
10-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Oh that's a great idea!! Multi-purpose to boot.

Anyone used Liquid Band-Aid? Does it dry clear?

jjreason
10-20-2003, 12:32 AM
Go get an ice cube and press it directly on the little cut. The cold will force the blood vessels to constrict right up, and will greatly reduce the flow to the wound. With any luck, the little bit of blood that keeps coming can be more easily dealt with. Not perfect, but it does help a lot.

scruffziller
10-20-2003, 07:26 AM
Oh that's a great idea!! Multi-purpose to boot.

Anyone used Liquid Band-Aid? Does it dry clear?Oh...But of Course....:D

Little pricy but if you are using it for nix it should last a while.

Exhaust Port
11-14-2004, 01:04 PM

It's been over a year since Scruff gave this outstanding suggestion. It took me that long to finally get an opportunity to try it out. I bought my Liquid BandAid last year and have had it sitting in the towl closet since then waiting for a shaving nick.

Today in the shower as I shaved I looked down to see blood in the water which meant I had given myself a good nick. (on a side note, isn't it amazing how much more dramatic bleeding appears when water is added) I then cleaned up the cut and applied the Liquid Band Aid. Man it stung like a MOTHER! But after a few seconds it felt fine. Now I'm completely blood free without a single piece of toilet paper on my face!!!

If you don't have a bottle of Liquid Bandaid and you shave I can't recommend enough to get some for such an event. It's a quick and lasting fix for these annoying nicks.