PDA

View Full Version : Skype - Voice Over IP

SirSteve
10-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Has anyone seen this? Skype.com (http://www.skype.com) It's way of talking to anyone in real-time. It's like an instant messenger program but talking in real-time.

Old Fossil
10-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Yeah, my dad and brother downloaded it a couple of weeks ago, and badgered me until I gave in and downloaded it myself. Naturally, they are both away on business since I downloaded Skype, so I haven't been able to talk to anyone through it yet.

It apparently works the same as Instant Messaging, only it is audio; like talking on a telephone, kind of, only through your computer's microphone. That's the only thing required to utilize Skype, I think: a microphone. The cool thing is that it's free, and you can talk to anyone else who has downloaded Skype. That means anyone, anywhere. NO CHARGE. It took about 5 minutes or so for me to download it onto my old PC, which has a dial-up Internet connection.

As I said, I haven't used it myself yet, though I watched and listened as my dad talked to my brother when they were both online. It was pretty amazing. I suppose that SSG members could actually talk to one another in real-time.

It all sounds too good to be true, and I'm just waiting for something bad to happen. So far so good, though.

James Boba Fettfield
10-16-2003, 08:12 PM
I went ahead and downloaded it because this looks like something fun to utilize sometime, now to find some peeps to talk to.

SirSteve
10-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Let me know how it works with dial-up.

mabudonicus
10-17-2003, 08:23 AM
I tried "eyeball" through dial-up to talk to my german buddy, sounds like a similar thing... I don't have a mic YET so wasn't sending more than text,but I got video and audio (both fairly low quality, but not too bad) coming in pretty well.... way better than paying per minute

[DSS]Pedr0
10-17-2003, 08:29 AM
HAVENT TRIED IT YET, AM REGISTERED THO. dss-pedr0

2-1B
02-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I use it at work to talk to people on the other side of the world, it's pretty cool.

El Chuxter
02-28-2010, 12:45 PM
And they pay you to say dirty things to them, right?

2-1B
02-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Yes, but not in English.

Slicker
03-01-2010, 01:45 AM
I actually used this for the first time while I was home on leave. I used the video camera to talk with Cappy and see the kids one last time before I left.

JediTricks
03-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I've been using it for work lately, it's pretty decent, though a little buggy at times with secondary systems like screen sharing. Its video is good too, not as good as Windows Live but that program is a misery on my system.

LTBasker
03-03-2010, 02:39 PM
I was finally coerced into getting it by some friends so that we could voice chat while playing Mario Kart Wii. What strange conversations that resulted in.

El Chuxter
03-03-2010, 02:46 PM
"Oh no! It's a blue tortoise shell! Mama mia!"

JimJamBonds
03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
I've been using it for work lately....

Have you been using it to talk with 2-1b? :p

2-1B
03-04-2010, 09:37 PM
That would be awesome!
JT, call me on the web blower sometime. :holla:

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Wait, you're not just a 1950s microphone-mouthed robot? ;)

JimJamBonds
03-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Wait, you're not just a 1950s microphone-mouthed robot? ;)

Nope he covered that in the "What do you do for a living" thread.

I'm a medical droid in service of the Rebel Alliance. I take care of sirs.
No, that's 2-1B from Star Wars 2

I drive truck, break arms, and arm wrestle. It's what I love to do, it's what I do best.
No, that's Bull Hurley from Over the Top

I work as a project coordinator in international sourcing and also dabble in international sales support.
Yes, that's my serious answer, as requested by SirSteven
(I laugh at the thought of George Costanza's fake job as an "importer/exporter").

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Ah, I haven't read that thread yet. I'm way behind.

JimJamBonds
03-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Ah, I haven't read that thread yet. I'm way behind.

Well I just gave ya what cha need to know from said thread so now you don't need to bother... unless you want to post what you do. :D

JediTricks
03-06-2010, 10:25 PM
"I am a boring person who does a boring job for not enough money." ;) I've let my work get so lazy that I'm not even sure what I call my job anymore, so I haven't bothered yet.