PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Trailer

Beast
10-17-2003, 03:16 AM
The trailer for the remake of the classic zombie flick has just been released on the Apple site. I swore we had a thread for this, but I guess not. Well, if you've seen the original it's basically just a revisioning of the 1978 classic. The story and the effects have been updated for the New Millenium. While it's worrying quite a few classic 'DotD' fans, it looks pretty cool to me. Love the shot of 'Sheriff Tom Savini' in the trailer. Here's a couple plot outlines, and the link to the trailer on the site. It will be in theaters, March 26th. :cool: :D

As the United States is turned upside-down by a strange plague-like event in which millions of corpses walk the earth as blood-thirsty zombies (with the recently-deceased that the zombies kill usually returning as zombies themselves, multiplying their number), a small group of survivors of the onslaught, which include a nurse and a police officer try to find shelter and protection within a massive shopping mall in the mid-sized city of Everett, WA. What they don't reckon on is that the zombies still have some sort of residual memory, and *everyone* loves going to the mall, right? Realizing that their time is running out, they decide to make another attempt at flight, to a presumably un-zombie-infested island, but to do so, they'll have to get past thousands of zombies in-between...

A young female nurse named Anna is caught in the middle of the chaos as zombies begin taking over the world and attacking the living. She escapes into the streets and is rescued by a black police officer named Kenneth. Together they find shelter in a mall along with a group of other survivors. For a while everything is ok, but pretty soon they start running out of food, the power goes out, and the dead keep finding ways to break through their defenses. Realizing they're sitting ducks, they make a plan to head for an island by using two armored mall shuttle busses to get across the sea of zombies.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/dawnofthedead/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
10-17-2003, 05:23 AM
I can't describe my disgust. JJB, you know how you feel about the Twisted Land of Oz, that's how my feelings are towards this. But then I also want to see it succeed, because then perhaps studios will be more than willing to let George Romero make his final Dead film, which will be 100 times better than anything done by Mr. Scooby Doo.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-17-2003, 06:50 AM
(mike promptly vomits, wipes his mouth and says, "eh!")

Yeah, this can't be Dawn of the Dead. See, Dawn of the Dead was a good zombie movie that had characters we liked and cared about. It also had some social commentary about people and consumerism. This is just another goofy, pointless action flick. Damn you James Gunn for ruining my favorite horror movie.

EDIT:
Ok, i've had time to watch it a few more times and kind of digest what i'm seeing and honestly, while i think it'll totally suck in comparison to the original classic DOTD, it will make for a good zombie flick. I know JBFF and other fellow Deadheads are going to hate me for it, but i really think if it were called something else there wouldn't be nearly as much hatred for it. In order for me to enjoy this flick, i'm going to just imagine that it's just another branch off in the Dead Saga, something happening during the events of the original Living Dead Films. I have the slightest bit of hope for this flick now. Sorry, JBFF, i'm still a Romero purist! :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
10-17-2003, 02:09 PM
When I saw the trailer again today before TCM, I thought this film was looking an awful lot like 28 Days Later. What with their fast moving and whatnot. Maybe I was just seeing things, but that's what it looked like. And JMG, that's what a lot of horror fans are upset for. It's like they're creating a totally different movie and just using the title to get fans of the original to lay some money down to see it.

RooJay
10-17-2003, 02:28 PM
The one thing I have a problem with regarding this one, and let's be honest - the trailer doesn't really show much of anything, is the fast zombies. Don't get me wrong, fast zombies are cool, and very scary just...in a different way than the more traditional, slow and shambling zombies. The thing is...EVERY zombie movie that's come out in the past several years just about has has fast zombies. The novelty has worn off, and I for one think that the slow and relentless types of undead are much creepier and a bit scarier in a different and somewhat better way.
What I'd honestly like to see is a bit of a mixture of both types. Some of the "fresher", less damaged ones could be quite fast. Some of the older, crustier and more damaged zombies could be of the slower, creepier variety. I have a feeling that that would make for a much better mix of action and suspense, and could prove to be much more interesting.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-08-2004, 10:58 AM
I couldn't find an actual thread about the flick, as i'm not sure if we even had one? but, this seems like this is as good as place as any to post this.

the poster for DOTD has been released. Frankly, i love it. alot.
Sorry JBFF, i'm regaining faith on this project. Hell, maybe Romero even has faith in it since he's granted them use of his title...at least, i think he is. anyway,

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Show=1156&Template=newsfull

or just check the attatchment.

James Boba Fettfield
01-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Sorry JBFF, i'm regaining faith on this project. Hell, maybe Romero even has faith in it since he's granted them use of his title...at least, i think he is. anyway,

Poster is fine. It does not make me feel any different about the project, though. I want it to do well for the reason that it could bring about some future zombie movies. Then again, it can also further convince the people of Hollywood that remakes are the new thing people want to see, after the success past remakes have had.

I'll go see the film, and then I'll let you know for sure how I feel about it. There won't be any bias, though. I went into House of 1000 Corpses expecting it to be terrible, and came away enjoying it. Maybe the same will happen in this case, who knows.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-08-2004, 04:16 PM
I think i'll just tell myself it's not called "Dawn of the Dead" when i go see it and discuss it later on. I think i'll dub it, "Zombie flick of 2004" just so i don't have any bias when i view the film. I think with that in mind, i'll enjoy the movie a lot more than i would going into it thinking it's a remake. I mean, it has the same title as the classic, but i can't think of it as a remake as the characters are all wacky and stuff. It does irk me that Gunn is trying to capitalize on Romero's films, but like you said, this one does well, we get more zombie flicks. Maybe even the one i'm writing right now will grace the big screen someday...(sighs) :D

Dr Zoltar
01-08-2004, 06:36 PM
I just think it's cool that this movie takes place in my neck of the woods. Wonder what mall was used to mimic the real Everett Mall? For those of you that care, Everett is basically a lower to middle class navy town. I wonder how it will be portrayed in the film.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-08-2004, 09:27 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/dawnofthedead.html

Official trailer is up @yahoo movies. Once again, i remain torn about this flick. I liked the trailer muy muy much though, i'll leave it at that. cheerio! :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Wow....I just watched the trailer and I was let down. The scene of the zombies running after the person in their front yard....the zombies running into the door....etc.

Again, it reminded me of 28 Days Later. I suppose today's audiences would not want to see the slow moving zombies of years past, and have them replaced with these super athletes. Hopefully not all zombies are like that in the film.

And what was that pregnant thing about?! Zombie baby? :rolleyes:

Please please please let Romero's Dead Reckoning/Land of the Dead/Whatever it's called now be made so the world can be reminded of what the zombie genre is all about.

plasticfetish
01-09-2004, 02:35 AM
Mmm.
Took a peek at the trailer there finally. Doesn't look awful, and honestly they'd have to try pretty hard to screw this story idea up. To me the original has always been pretty much the ultimate zombie film. I like it very very much, but I'm willing to watch a new version also. I could certainly live without it, but, whatever... can't stop the remakes from happening.

As far as fast versus slow zombies is concerned, I always thought that the slow zombies were more frightening because they were more dead looking that way. Slow, mindless and persistent. No matter how fast you run, they'll eventually wear you out and then you're done. It's that whole slow-motion nightmare thing that makes the original movie stay with you. I doubt this new movie will get stuck in my brain as easily. But we'll see.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-10-2004, 12:48 PM
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/reviews.php?id=343
(mild bad language and spoilers, but we're all zombie fans here, so cursin' shouldn't bother us)

4 1/5 skulls out of 5. Maybe we had this figured all wrong, kids? I dunno; i'm still going to reserve judgement for when i see it. I do miss the slow moving zombies too, JBFF. I loved about is the fact that you thought you could take them on, but once enough got in your way, they weren't going to budge and you were finished. I think folks get mixed up cos they say that "the zombies in '28 days later' were fast!" and i must stress, "they weren't zombies; they weren't dead or decomposing, they were infected, dammit!!" I think they're just updating the genre for a new audience. Regardless, that review seems somewhat positive, so i'm continuing my hope for this flick. :D

JBFF- i saw that possible "zombie baby" thing too and i'm trying to think about how it could happen. Maybe if the mother is bitten or something, i could see SOMEHOW that happening. as long as it's not just in there for S's and giggles, i won't complain about it. :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-10-2004, 03:11 PM
I'll still think of them as zombies, Guyute. Not so much based on their being dead or not, but more on their way of acting mechanically with only one thing they want.

Who knows, though....Return of the Living Dead had fast and smart zombies, and I enjoyed the film immensely. Even Dawn had the fast children zombies attack Peter...which I never really understood.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see how this all turns out.

2-1B
02-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Hey, put me down in the "hopeful" category because I finally saw the trailer and I thought it showed some promise ! Those shots of that woman walking outside and panning around to see the carnage, well it got me excited. :)

I'm on a big zombie kick lately and today I finally picked up that Day of the Dead 2 disc set.
That reminds me, I really need to get my fan letter and pics sent out to Tom Savini to score some autographs.

I watched Creepshow last night for the first time in a long time. Man, I love that Father's Day episode. Fast, slow, whatever, zombies rule. :D

But not that Cranberries song called Zombie. :mad:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-06-2004, 07:52 PM
JBFF and i were discussing zombie flicks tonight and he mentioned that the movie somehow is already on the net and there was a link at Fangoria to download it before it got erased. We had a heartily laugh and recollected on days of old.

I'm really excited about it. I'm slowly beginning to realize that they're not "remaking" the original as it's totally different, it's just the same title...the sme title..just repeat that to yourself, mike....just the same title... :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-06-2004, 09:48 PM
I watched Creepshow last night for the first time in a long time. Man, I love that Father's Day episode.

Nothing like seeing him smash the head of Ed Harris with that head stone.

How 'bout that ending? "It's Father's Day, and I got my cake." Love the colors they used there, talk about bringing a comic book to film. The use of colors did that well.

Yeah, I'm still trying to dig up info about that leaked movie version. Users are saying that's what it was and the administrator of those forums was quick to silence the thread and post a bold warning about copyrighted material. I didn't expect it to get out this early. Yeah, well, back to hanging out at Fangoria and arguing over Asian cinema and remake madness.

2-1B
02-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Nothing like seeing him smash the head of Ed Harris with that head stone.

Indeed ! the only thing more horrifying is watching Ed Harris dance around inside the house. :crazed:

Seriously though, what's with Nathan's use of The Force to pull that stone down in the first place? :confused:

How 'bout that ending? "It's Father's Day, and I got my cake." Love the colors they used there, talk about bringing a comic book to film. The use of colors did that well.

It's a great ending and my favorite part from when I was a kid. In fact I loved that scene (and the whole segment) so much that it almost hurt my overall opinion of Creepshow. I always loved zombies so after Father's Day it was always downhill for me. Jordy Verill was weird but I could sit through it. Something to Tide you Over was boring to me because I couldn't understand why Frank Drebin was
a) not doing a parody of another movie
b) trying to drown Sammy Malone
then of course is The Crate which was cool for the monster . . . and by the time "Creeping up on You" was showing, I was most likely asleep from the earlier segments or flat out bored by the bugs. :D

Of course, those were my thoughts on the matter when I was about 12 years old so they don't hold up these many years later. :crazed:
Now I would say that Father's Day is still my favorite but I enjoy the whole movie. I'm not creeped out by the cockroaches but I love the OCD/hypochondriac type behavior of EG Marshall.

Back on track to DOTD'04, I just looked at the full cast list and I'm delighted because I didn't even know that Ken Foree has a cameo ! :)
Mekhi Phifer is in it, too - I like much of his work so I continue to remain optimistic.

And come on, Ving Rhames? You know he'll do well. :cool:

James Boba Fettfield
02-07-2004, 12:57 AM
And Scott Reiniger has a cameo! You can't have Peter without Roger!

It's going to be funny seeing Ken play the preacher, if the preacher character is anything like the one from the original.

I have no problems with the cast. Phifer I have come to appreciate through his tenure on ER for the past few seasons.

We'll see what happens with this one, though. It's weird watching the current Hollywood movie makers go through all of these horror master classic films. Tobe's Chainsaw, George's Dawn, and the announcement today of Craven's The Hills Have Eyes.

It's an interesting time to be a fan of horror, to say the least.

2-1B
02-07-2004, 01:21 AM
Hills Have Eyes is being redone? Curious . . . I'll wait and see. Any Michael Berryman cameos scheduled ? :D

Man, I'm on record as not being a fan of Chainsaw '03 (I enjoyed it through the Hitchhiker scene) but I have to say, as much as I laugh over some of Chainsaw 2 it still ticks me off a bit that Tobe went that way with the sequel. :(

Bill Moseley is GREAT and for me he totally makes the movie worthwhile but come on . . . no offense to Bill Johnson but Leatherface just doesn't do it for me.
Drayton Sawyer is great in some scenes, too, but Bubba is just not cutting it.

Let me tell you though, NOTHING is more classic than the movie poster for TCM2. :D
When I was a kid and that movie came out, I remember seeing the poster . . .
Leatherface guy with his fist in the air (I didn't know what a comedic role it was :rolleyes: )
Bald guy with blood running down from a wound
Normal looking older man - what's he doing there? Seems creepy.
And last but certainly not least . . . Nubbins. :D I didn't know who he was but he reminded me of a zombie of some sort. :D

Isn't it a shame that I have such a nostalgic reaction to the TCM2 poster but the movie is . . . ehhhhh, so-so ?

Sorry JBH, it's been so long since I've seen DOTD. I know it's shameful but it's been a awhile. I really want to add it to my DVD collection but of course I now have to wait for the rerelease. Please excuse whatever cameos I am not citing, I'll be back in the game soon. :)

James Boba Fettfield
02-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Caesar, you're already in the game. You are one of the bigger fans of horror around here and that I have talked with. There's not too many of us 'round these parts, but it's all good.

All I think of when I see that TCM poster is Judd Nelson, and for obvious reasons. That's creepy in its own way.

Hellboy
02-11-2004, 04:58 PM
I've said it before in other threads but I'll say it again I suppose. "I hate remakes". Having got that off my chest I'll concede the trailer does make the film look promising but the TCM trailer was one of the best I've ever seen and that movie blew, big time. I guess I'll look at it as Guyute suggested as simply another zombie movie rather than a remake and judge it on it's own merit rather than comparing it to the original. My fingers are still crossed though. :neutral:

Turbowars
02-12-2004, 12:05 AM
I just got back from seeing a sneak pre-view of this film at Universal and it kicked ***. My wife and I did the whole grading thing at the end and it scored high. I love crap like this. The zombies running was great. Lots of cool effects and the acting was pretty good. The movie isn't scary (I don't get scared), it's funny, creepy at times and well worth the hour in line. I got the passes last weekend and the person giving out the passes said she couldn't tell us what the film was, but she did say it was a remake of a horror film and their are bill boards up all over the place, so my wife and I knew and said yes and happy we did. When you guys do see it stay for the credits, their a little Blair witch thing going on. It was fun and the audience was really into it. People yelling and rooting for the victims.

Beast
02-12-2004, 01:55 PM
There's also a pretty positive review of it over on Creature Corner. So the movie actually might end up being really good. I know I'll catch a matinee of it. There's a few spoilers in the review, but nothing major. :)

http://www.creature-corner.com/reviews/dawnofthedead04.php3

And Romero in the UK magazine "Shivers" spoke a bit about the remake as well as his long delayed wrap up to the 'Dead' series, "Dead Reckoning". He pretty much avoided the question entirely, it seems. Oh well. :)

"I agreed to do the Night of the Living Dead remake because I felt it was a way for everyone to benefit financially from the franchise," Romero tells the magazine. "I think Dead Reckoning could be the best Dead film I've ever done, but everyone in Hollywood's obsessed with doing Teenage Horror films and it's tough to raise financing, even for someone with a track record like myself, and everyone who's read Dead Reckoning loves it. It's a story about a class struggle amidst the zombie apocalypse with the rich and the poor living opposite each other - the haves don't want to be exposed to the zombies and they don't want to share their community with the have-knots. The Dead Reckoning is this monster truck that the hero of the story travels around in. Maybe if Dawn of the Dead's a hit, it will help my film get made."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-12-2004, 04:30 PM
That great Romero, always giving us zombie stories with excellent social commentary. I hope George gets to have Reckoning made and without restrictions. After getting Day cut down from his grand vision, I'd hate for it to happen again.

He's right about Hollywood horror, too. The better horror movies released lately have been coming out of Asia, Australia, and the UK.

This movie kind of sounds like 28 Days Later, but it's before 28 days pass. It's like what happened before a month passes. I'm not sure if anyone understands what I mean by that or even follows. It's like a 28 Days Later prequel, yeah, that's what I'm trying to say.

Turbowars
02-12-2004, 06:09 PM
That great Romero, always giving us zombie stories with excellent social commentary. I hope George gets to have Reckoning made and without restrictions. After getting Day cut down from his grand vision, I'd hate for it to happen again.

He's right about Hollywood horror, too. The better horror movies released lately have been coming out of Asia, Australia, and the UK.

This movie kind of sounds like 28 Days Later, but it's before 28 days pass. It's like what happened before a month passes. I'm not sure if anyone understands what I mean by that or even follows. It's like a 28 Days Later prequel, yeah, that's what I'm trying to say.28 days is crap IMO. DOTD is way better.

James Boba Fettfield
02-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Turbo, since you saw the movie, I want to know one thing. And for you anti-spoiler types out there, don't read any further.

What the heck is the deal with the zombie baby thing? Do they handle that well or does it come off as, uh . . . bad. Like, does the baby eat its way out of her, or after the baby is born does it start trying to eat people. Yeah, so what happens with that baby?

Turbowars
02-12-2004, 08:38 PM
The mother gets a slight cut or bite and slowly gets sick. Her boyfriend keeps her away and tied up from the rest of the people (one thing I thought was odd because everyone wanted to know where everyone was at)so they don't find out and kill her. She dies and comes back to life and the baby is born naturally. At this point someone does come in to check on them and shoots the mother and then the boyfriend shoots the her back. The baby is a zombie and at this point the the blonde nurse comes in, looks at the baby (baby has those Zombie eyes and his head is misshaped) the camera pans away and there's a gun shot.

I bet some of you wont like it, and tear it apart bit by bit, but it was very entertaining and might see it again when it comes out in the summer.

James Boba Fettfield
02-12-2004, 09:09 PM
I kind of like the way you describe that scene. It sounds like it was handled well and better than expected.

I'm aware the film is supposed to have some flaws based on the few reviews I've read from people who have attending the screenings. Well, only about 5 more weeks until the movie arrives, I will have a final verdict on the film then.

Turbowars
02-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Remakes don't bother me and I think many old horror films would be great to see remade by the right people. I loved Chainsaw and I think if you liked that you might like DOTD.

I forget where I heard this, hell it might have been from here, but The Hills Have Eyes is going to get a nice new coat of paint as well.

BTW I think the CGI was used well in DOTD and it wasn't over done. There was a few parts that probably will be cleaned up, but no matter how good a film is, there's always room for improvement.

Oh and as much as I love The Thing, it could use a update, or even a part 2. When I meet John Carpenter I asked him about doing it and he said he had a great story to tell, but the studios wouldn't touch it. I find it hard to believe. He got so much flack for the THING and I think he wont do it for personal reasons.

James Boba Fettfield
02-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Remakes don't bother me too much, either. I mean, two of my favorite movies from the 1980's were remakes: David Cronenberg's The Fly and John Carpenter's The Thing. I liked The Ring and felt Savini's Living Dead was a good film.

The problem I do have with remakes is that lately it seems like that is all that is being produced. Everything from Walking Tall to Assault on Precinct 13 to The Eye. The sheer amount of them is overwhelming to me. I'd like to see a break in these or have them spaced out more. Anymore it seems a new revisioning of a film is announced every week.

Turbowars
02-13-2004, 06:26 PM
LOL, the original THING was terrible. John did a great job.

RooJay
02-13-2004, 10:47 PM
And Romero in the UK magazine "Shivers" spoke a bit about the remake as well as his long delayed wrap up to the 'Dead' series, "Dead Reckoning". He pretty much avoided the question entirely, it seems. Oh well. :)

So what was the question? :confused:

RooJay
02-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Remakes don't bother me and I think many old horror films would be great to see remade by the right people. I loved Chainsaw and I think if you liked that you might like DOTD.

You had me right up until you said that. I'm still ready to believe that this one will be good - it probably will be, too - but from what I've gathered it seems that audiences mostly hated the new Texas Chainsaw Masacre. I'm not knocking your tastes at all - just seems like less of a reliable review to me because of that parallel having been drawn. :dis:

Turbowars
02-14-2004, 12:03 AM
You had me right up until you said that. I'm still ready to believe that this one will be good - it probably will be, too - but from what I've gathered it seems that audiences mostly hated the new Texas Chainsaw Masacre. I'm not knocking your tastes at all - just seems like less of a reliable review to me because of that parallel having been drawn. :dis:Why go by what others think about a film? See it for your self and then make your decision. I can care less what most audiences liked or disliked. I didn't say it was a award winner, what Horror film is? It was fun and entertaining and that's why I go to the movies.

RooJay
02-14-2004, 12:55 AM
Why go by what others think about a film? See it for your self and then make your decision. I can care less what most audiences liked or disliked. I didn't say it was a award winner, what Horror film is? It was fun and entertaining and that's why I go to the movies.

Oh, absolutely. I fully intend to see it, and am certain I will enjoy it. I am easy to please, though, and usually am able to find some level of enjoyment in pretty much any movie (as long as they don't involve Joel Schumacher and rubber nipples). I was merely commenting that many people - those who saw and hated TCM - may not place much stake in a review of Dawn of the Dead that draws that particular parallel.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-17-2004, 10:17 PM
A new poster has emerged for the "Dawn of the Dead" coming out in a few weeks. I really like this poster!! Hope y'all do too. :D

2-1B
02-18-2004, 01:25 AM
That's a cool poster but I like the other one better. :)

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2004, 06:12 AM
That poster zombie looks like Ash after being possessed in Evil Dead 2.

Hellboy
02-18-2004, 04:02 PM
That poster zombie looks like Ash after being possessed in Evil Dead 2.

Thats funny I thought the same thing too when I saw it. Must be the white eyes. The poster is cool looking.

James Boba Fettfield
03-08-2004, 01:21 AM
I want to remind everyone that tonight USA will premiere Final Destination at 8pm eastern/pacific. Sometime between 10-10:30pm of this showing, USA will show the first 10 minutes of Dawn of the Dead unedited.

Guyute pointed this out to me before, but I thought I'd remind anyone who might be interested in checking out this sneak peek.

Beast
03-08-2004, 02:15 AM
Actually it's next monday. The 15th of March. :)

http://www.themovieinsider.com/news/news.php?nid=731

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-08-2004, 02:18 AM
Oops, this is what happens when I don't look up my information before I post it.

So, don't watch USA tonight. Next Monday it is.

Dr Zoltar
03-08-2004, 02:08 PM
So does anyone know what explanation this version of the film is using for the creation of the zombies?

I love the scene in the trailer where the mom gets her first look at her neighborhood right after the zombies are first seen. Creepy...

James Boba Fettfield
03-08-2004, 03:52 PM
None of the other films said what the cause was, so I hope this one continues the Dead tradition.

Dead people just get up and kill.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-08-2004, 04:03 PM
There are going to be advance showings of this film in selected areas. You hafta head to an EB Games for a poster and i believe tickets.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/promos/dawnofthedead/

Click here to see if your city is included!! Sadly, mine isn't and even if it was, i have finals and no car. cheers! :D

Hellboy
03-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the reminder guys. You can bet I'll be watching. :D

If I didn't have to work early the next morning I'd probably check out the advance showing but I'll probably wait till Friday like everyone else. Hope the film turns out good but either way I'm getting excited. :crazed:

All I need now is the new Dawn DVD and I'm good to go. Zombie nirvana. :dead: :dead:

2-1B
03-08-2004, 10:22 PM
[I]
I love the scene in the trailer where the mom gets her first look at her neighborhood right after the zombies are first seen. Creepy...

I'm with you. That was my favorite clip from the trailer. :D

Well, as tempted as I am to check out this 10 minute "preview," I am going to have to pass. It just feels like too long of a treat so I'll hold out until the theater. I do like the idea behind marketing it this way though. Hopefully it will draw others to the theater. :)

Turbowars
03-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Man, you guys are going to love it! Believe me. I can't wait to see it again.lol

2-1B
03-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Man, you guys are going to love it! Believe me.

We're gonna hold you to that. :D

Turbowars
03-08-2004, 11:52 PM
I would except no less from you guys.lol

sith_killer_99
03-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Monday USA is playing 'Final Destination' during which they will air the first 10 minutes of the new 'Dawn of the Dead'! :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Yahoo movies has 5 clips up!

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808473170&cf=trailer

Please beware of spoilers and whatnot. Enjoy, cos i did! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Also, just saw this on BD. It mentions what we should expect for those first 10 minutes on USA tonight!

The clip will be shown during Final Destination at one of the commercial breaks later in the evening. If you want to know what to expect, keep reading, but be warned it has spoilers:

One of our readers John writes in, "The opening ten minutes give only a small taste of the amazing directing style of Zack Snyder. It looks as if he took the subtext of "commercialism" in 'Dawn' and made the film look like a really expensive commercial. The color is very bright for a horror film, and the contrast is very unique. But what makes it even better is that you can see these zombies very vividly and they are scary as hell! Within the first ten minutes you get one amazing neck bite- where the flesh comes tearing off- along with a good laugh or two. But the laughs aren't funny haha, they or more or less funny because of the crazy things the zombies do. The last minute of the teaser has my favorite moment, watch the screen carefully, because you wont want to miss this explosion!"

Sounds fantastic!! cheers! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
03-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Are the zombies, dead guys, wasteoids, whatever they are, supposed to be more animated and active like they were in Return of the Living Dead than from the original Romero movies? That would make them way more freaky than being just like shuffling old folks.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Are the zombies, dead guys, wasteoids, whatever they are, supposed to be more animated and active like they were in Return of the Living Dead than from the original Romero movies? That would make them way more freaky than being just like shuffling old folks.

MC-Check out the trailer, bud. The zombies are pretty quick and whatnot. I guess maybe this isn't bad, it's just different.

JBFF sent me a link that has 8 minutes of the 10 min clip and i'm pretty excited. The zombies look excellent and i'm slowly warming up to the fact that they can run instead of just shuffle. I would post the link, but there is a, uh, scene that isn't right for young eyes. Enjoy the clip tonight on USA! :D

Beast
03-15-2004, 11:09 AM
You can download the 10 minute preview at the following link. Warning, there is some things of a sexual nature in the preview I hear. I've not seen the preview as of yet, being on dial-up. :)

http://www.michael3g.com/dotd/dotd8kbps384.wmv

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
03-15-2004, 11:34 AM
I've not seen the preview as of yet, being on dial-up.

Dial-up?!?!

What is this "dial-up" you speak of?

Kidhuman
03-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Yes, JJB, there is some sexual nature in it, but no nudity.

Iliked it. It was phenomenal. Action right of the bat. Blood sucking zombies rule.

Beast
03-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Damn, damn, damn. They took it down, before I could even download all of it. What I did see looked good though. If any of my usual AIM buddies saved it, poke me so I can get it from you. If not, I'll just watch the 10 minute version tonight. :)

Oh, and here's some early news on the DVD for the remake:

Those eager to check out the zombie-filled action of 'Dawn' will be excited by the comments of Director Zack Snyder who revealed to Davis DVD that he had to make more than a few cuts to his film to receive an R-rating from the Motion Picture Association of America and as a result we can expect a special DVD set: "We went back and forth with the MPAA about four or five times before we got our R, but eventually we did...We will do an unrated DVD that will have probably an additional five minutes of gore, and then another five minutes of more character. Not that anyone wants that, but that's what they're going to get."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
03-15-2004, 02:48 PM
I once asked my girlfriend if I turned inot a zombie would she let me eat her brains. She was a little confused at first, but once I convinced her of the possibility of such happening she agreed. I unfortunately had to inform her that I would not be allowing her to eat my brains if the reverse were to ever happen. She got mad. :(

I'd also like to go on record stating that if any of you, my SSG forumite friends, were ever to be bitten by a zombie that I would not hesitate to shoot you in the head out of courtesy. The same goes for Max Headroom. ;)

I went to bed last night thinking about zombies in hopes that I might have one of those cool zombie nightmares I always have, but it didn't work. Oh well, movie comes out soon - guess I'll just have to be patient. :D

Beast
03-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Ok, that preview was definatly intense. And very very good. Great story, acting, and effects. Definatly going to have to see this baby at the theater. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
03-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Glad you finally got to see it Binks. Kind of ironic that you posted it and wasnt able to view it.

RooJay
03-16-2004, 02:40 AM
I'm gonna be having that nightmare tonight for sure! :D

I apologize in advance to all the purists out there, but I have to say that what I've seen of this remake so far has been much more frightening and...apocalyptic than the original. I'm a fan of the original version as well, but I never thought it was scary in the slightest - this one looks absolutely horrifying! :eek:

James Boba Fettfield
03-16-2004, 10:17 AM
I still prefer the slow zombies. They make people over confident and this always leads to mistakes. Fast zombies are fast and one can make a challenge for a person. Maybe if there were some fast ones mixed in with a lot of slow ones. Think along the lines of how the crimson heads and coffin Henry were done in the Resident Evil remake game.

Also as Roger commented, I don't want to be walking around like one of those things. Being a fast zombie looks like it would do wonders for my health, though.

arctangent
03-16-2004, 10:18 AM
I once asked my girlfriend if I turned inot a zombie would she let me eat her brains. She was a little confused at first, but once I convinced her of the possibility of such happening she agreed.

now THAT"S real love :kiss:!

I unfortunately had to inform her that I would not be allowing her to eat my brains if the reverse were to ever happen.

and THAT isn't :cry:.

She got mad.

can't say i blame her. if the reverse were to ever happen, i bet she would eat your brains anyway. and it would serve you right :crazed:

Mandalorian Candidat
03-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Ugh, didn't see the trailer on USA last night because they started the movie before I got home. Even if I was a zombie in Dawn of the Dead I'd still probably be slow. All the alive people would have to do to survive is disable the elevator then climb the stairs of a tall building. I'd probably be stuck looking for brains of lower life forms. :(

Hellboy
03-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Wow any doubts I had about this movie being good were erased when I saw that 10 min. preview. Pretty intense stuff, and talk about dropping you right into the thick of things. :eek:

Is it Friday yet? :(

Turbowars
03-16-2004, 06:19 PM
Ugh, didn't see the trailer on USA last night because they started the movie before I got home. Even if I was a zombie in Dawn of the Dead I'd still probably be slow. All the alive people would have to do to survive is disable the elevator then climb the stairs of a tall building. I'd probably be stuck looking for brains of lower life forms. :(The per view was after Final Destination. So you could have seen it.

Kidhuman
03-16-2004, 06:55 PM
D'oh :beard:

RooJay
03-17-2004, 07:09 PM
now THAT"S real love :kiss:!

and THAT isn't :cry:.

can't say i blame her. if the reverse were to ever happen, i bet she would eat your brains anyway. and it would serve you right :crazed:

Hey, I'm just tryin' to keep it real! :silly:

On a side note - anyone else get the impression that there may be no slow zombies because the "virus" only seems to affect the recently deceased? All of the zombies I'm seeing here look pretty fresh considering. I doubt we'll be seeing anyone crawling out of old graves in this movie. Different, but perhaps a bit more realistic - I'd always imagined that a corpse that had long begun to decompose might have much more of a problem becoming ambulatory. Especially since a lot of movie zombies we've seen in the past seem like they might've already long passed the point where the soft tissues would've decayed to nothing.

Beast
03-17-2004, 07:18 PM
According to what I've read, there are no 'decomposing' Zombies. Only the freshly dead, or those that have been bitten. So it would make sense that there's no slow Zombies. Rigor Mortis hasn't exactly set in yet. They're all still nice and fresh. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Jax
03-17-2004, 08:58 PM
According to what I've read, there are no 'decomposing' Zombies. Only the freshly dead, or those that have been bitten. So it would make sense that there's no slow Zombies. Rigor Mortis hasn't exactly set in yet. They're all still nice and fresh. :)

rigor mortis is only a temporary condition after death, it can begin in as little as 10 minutes after death with the facial musculature affected first. it generally lasts about 3 days, after that time the body slowly loses its rigidity.

i'm disppointed that there will be no decomposing zombies. i was very disappointed that the little girl (i think her name was vivian) showed no obvious signs of injury to herself. how'd she die/become a zombie?

Kidhuman
03-18-2004, 07:31 AM
She got bitten. Or got hit by a car while roller skating. :confused: :beard:

arctangent
03-18-2004, 09:11 AM
I'd always imagined that a corpse that had long begun to decompose might have much more of a problem becoming ambulatory. Especially since a lot of movie zombies we've seen in the past seem like they might've already long passed the point where the soft tissues would've decayed to nothing.

and you know how stiff those joints get when you spend too much time in the same position!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-18-2004, 10:10 AM
I just saw this posted in the Zombie Freaks Livejournal community i'm part of. Don't know if its' legit or not, but hey, what the hizell?

Tune in to Mad, Mad House 9:00 - 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Thursday, March 18, and be the first to see an exclusive clip from Universal's Dawn of the Dead before it hits theaters!

Hopefully, this is true as i don't feel like sitting through "Mad Mad House" anymore than absolutely necessary. :D

James Boba Fettfield
03-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Awww, who doesn't want to see zombies coming from the ground? Remember the shallow graves of the conquistador zombies from Zombie (Fulci's "sequel" to Zombi)? I did think it funny that their brains were that red after one had his skull cap taken off. Good Italian film, check it out. What other film has a zombie battle a shark?

I'm glad Romero never had the dead coming out of the ground, though. I know looking for realistic ideas in a zombie film seems a bit off, but hey . . . One more day until this hits.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-18-2004, 01:52 PM

Take that Shakespeare! You too Washington!

Maaan. You mean we won't get to see like Alec Guiness running around?

What about if you're a vegan and then croak? Will you have to fight the urge to eat live human flesh or will you just go after Carrottop? :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-18-2004, 11:11 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-03-17-zombies-main_x.htm

USA Today has an article about zombie films and whatnot. There is also a table, i believe called "Dissecting the films" where it compares the two, but i HIGHLY suggest not glancing at it as it has some serious spoiler action. Thanks usatoday. :rolleyes:

Good article though; it features a brief blip about Romero and his attempt to get "Dead Reckoning" on the big screen. I also think i'm in love with Sarah Polley; i mean, an attractive young lady who loves zombies? I don't know what else to look for. :D Cheers!

2-1B
03-19-2004, 02:08 AM
Entertainment Weekly had a writeup on Dawn 04 and they did a little sidebar visual timeline of zombie films . . . imagine my disgust as they ignored Day while allowing that POS 28 Days Later into the equation. Come on, Day had the best makeup/gore of the Romero trilogy and it gets no love.

Oh, but the entire Evil Dead trilogy got some pub. :rolleyes:

Dr Zoltar
03-19-2004, 07:46 PM
I just returned from seeing this movie and I really liked it. Quite a bit different than the original, but very well done. It takes quite a bit to spook me and this movie did. My only gripe is...

Spoiler -- hi-light to read.

The original treatment had dogs being trained as a sled team to move food and weapons between the mall and a gun store. This was removed from the film. Too bad, it would have been fun to see.
Otherwise it was a fun film. One piece of advice, DO NOT LEAVE DURING THE CREDITS! Half the theater did and missed the true ending.

RooJay
03-20-2004, 06:08 PM
I saw it yesterday also, and I have to say that believe it's the best and most realistic Zombie film ever made. The Zombie "affliction" was treated as a much more realistic possible viral infection than I have ever seen done in a zombie movie, and this is the first zombie movie where I've truly felt that the world really was doomed. There truly did seem little hope for the survivors from the outset, in my opinion. I was overwhelmed by a strong sense of dread from the opening scene to the end credits. I also especially liked how even the jerky, "A-hole" characters even pulled it together to do their part in the end - some of them started out truly loathsome at first only to end up sort of admirable or at least sympathetic in the end. An A-plus film all the way in my book. :D

Beast
03-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Loved it. I enjoyed it way more then the original film. The story, acting, and effects were all fabulous. And I really hope that we'll see new versions of Day of the Dead also. Can't wait for the DVD release of this. Unlike TCMTV, it was a really kick arse movie that didn't blasphamy the original. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

B'Omarr Monkey
03-20-2004, 08:10 PM
I just saw it today and thought it was great. It's more "28 Days Later" than Romero in a most ways, but it really works. You definitely get a real sense of what it would be like to be in the middle of the situation. Like RooJay said, the sense of dread is there from the moment the Universal Pictures globe is on the screen. I'll definitely be buying this when it's out on dvd.

Darth Jax
03-20-2004, 10:58 PM
usa was right when the claimed the first 10 minutes of the film to be the scariest 10 minutes on tv. for me they contained the only scare of the film.
for me slow, lumbering zombies will always be creepier than those capable of almost superhuman speeds. the ending was good in a blair witch kinda way.

surprisingly for a horror film that acting was superb. very similar to 28 days later, but better in my opinion. i enjoyed the fact that it was actually well lit, a rarity in horror films.

i'll refrain from getting into plot discussion until others have had a chance to see it.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-20-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm so jealous of you guys who've seen it. I don't think my wife will think well of me saying I want to go. Maybe next time she goes out of town.

2-1B
03-21-2004, 02:41 AM
*spoilers*

What is all this nonsense about "viral infection" or whatever? They're DEAD. :D
I didn't like the fact that a person was not reanimated if he/she died from a cause other than a bite.

The use of fast zombies didn't **** me off the way I feared it might - it sure as hell was better than 28 Days Later, that's for sure. Still, I thought the zombies were well done.

I liked this movie, in fact I actually loved it, but Dawn 1978 it is not. It's not even close! I know, I know, I'm not supposed to compare them but hey - I'm not the one who named it after a 4 star classic - so compare I will ! :D

It started off wild and I was really into it. The Jedi-speed running was a bit over the top as that guy chased his wife down the street but overall it was great.

Way too many characters in the mall which I guess was necessary since they didn't care to set up a good core group of characters in the first place. We had Anna and her backstory which was cool . . . she bumps into Kenneth, then those other 3 and "oh! we're off to the mall ! " in a hurry whereas the original brought our 4 heroes there much more naturally.

Ving Rhames is now on my list of people I hope to be stuck with when the zombies arrive. ;) WOW, that Kenneth was great - I loved him. His scenes with Andy were very heartfelt and I loved it. When he had to take out Andy's corpse, I was very pleased by the exploding headshot. :D

Anna was cool and I'd take her on my team anyday. The rest of the cast ? Eh.

Mekhi Pfifer was a good casting choice but he wasn't that great. Max Headroom was decent and I liked how his makeup reminded me a wee bit of Roger in '78 . . . I didn't really care about the rest of the characters. Well, I wouldn't have minded a go with the chainsaw girl before I left the mall. :crazed:

The cameos were superb - Reiniger, Foree, Savini, ***len Ross' name as a store. :D

The ending . . . . "Blair Witch" is a nice comparison and that basically sums up my distaste for it. I did like the head in the cooler - that was pretty cool. But the whole "he dropped the camera so this is the zombie face footage it picked up" was pretty unnecessary for me. That, and the way Disturbed came blaring in. :rolleyes:

I remain quite confident that Kenneth blasted his way back onto the boat along with Anna to see another sunrise . . . much like Peter and Fran in the whirlybird. :)

Dr Zoltar
03-21-2004, 11:37 AM
* Spoilers *

I remain quite confident that Kenneth blasted his way back onto the boat along with Anna to see another sunrise . . . much like Peter and Fran in the whirlybird. :)
Had to be a different boat if there was one at the dock. Their engine had previously caught on fire and by the time they made it to the island they were out of gas. Of course they could have just opted to drift with the currents then.

But I agree that this leaves things wide open for a sequel.

Beast
03-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Those wacky zombies from Dawn of the Dead, managed to defeat someone else who rose from the dead. Box office returns for opening weekend of Dawn of the Dead indicate that it finally knocked ole J.C. out of first place. :)

1 (*) Dawn of the Dead ..................... $27.3 million
2 (1) The Passion of the Christ ............ $19.2 million
3 (*) Taking Lives ......................... $11.4 million
4 (3) Starsky & Hutch ...................... $10.7 million
5 (2) Secret Window ........................ $ 9.6 million
6 (*) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. $ 8.6 million
7 (4) Hidalgo .............................. $ 8.5 million
8 (5) Agent Cody Banks 2 ................... $ 6.0 million
9 (6) 50 First Dates ....................... $ 4.3 million
10 (8) Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen . $ 1.5 million

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-21-2004, 12:58 PM
*spoilers*

Whaddup y'all? I'm here in Chicago right now visiting my bro and i caught this flick friday night downtown. I freakin' LOVED it. The crowd i saw it with was rather annoying at times, but there were fellow geeks there and it was great to see other people laugh or smile when the cameo's from the original Dawn crew come up. Anyway, while i miss the depth of the first film, i did enjoy this flick immensely. I thought the zombies were pretty badarse and while i do miss the old ones, I did love these ones; ya gotta keep up with the times, i guess. I thought the acting was great, especially the one snooty guy who kept tossing out great comments; i was also hella happy when he got finished off later on in the film. I did like how when they first get into the mall, the music that is playing over the PA is "Don't worry, be happy"; i didn't even notice it till my friend Kev nudged me and whispered, "Don't worry, be happy!" The cast was great and the special effects were spectacular. I'm officially eating my words now in comparison to how much i felt i would hate the film. :D

I did like how the film ended as i felt it was a great sort of "sorry, no happy ending" sort of move. I wasn't really too fond of that damned Disturbed song, but the ending was awesome. I guess now i have another helpful hint when it comes to that zombie apocalypse: If i end up in a boat, don't dock anywhere, just drop off shore, fire off a couple of rounds and see if any zombies come running to. I hope at least that dog survived. :crazed:

Lastly, how AWESOME was it when they played "When the Man Comes Around" by Johnny Cash while showing blips of the chaos and pandamonium? that was soooooooo awesome!!! I officially tip my hat to Zach Snyder. Catch y'all later! cheers! :D

sith_killer_99
03-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Do you mean to say that after bringing in 290+ million dollars in just under a month "The Passion of the Christ" is starting to lose steam. :rolleyes: ;)

2-1B
03-22-2004, 03:12 AM
Quick, everybody !
The avatars of the recently deceased are returning to life and comitting acts of murder ! ! ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Of course they could have just opted to drift with the currents then.

That's what I'm hoping !

Hell, with those big pipes I bet Ving Rhames could have pushed the boat off with no problems. :crazed:
Is it just me or is that guy incredibly ripped, especially for his mid-40s ?

I wonder if these mega-zombies can swim, too?

Guyote - I'm glad to hear that you were pleased with the film. I was and am very high on it (but then I came home and saw JJB slandering Dawn 78 by saying this new movie is somehow better :p so I had to curb my excitement a bit :D ).

Regardless, I'm just glad I didn't eat **** with this movie like I did Chainsaw 03. :rolleyes:

:)

Beast
03-22-2004, 01:16 PM
How am I slandering the original? I just don't like the original all that much. It's extremely dated, amongst other things. The new one is far superior in my eyes. It's just a matter of opinion, no need to have kittens over it. It rocked the me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
03-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Well I had a chance to see the film Friday and was very pleased. The effects were great and the film moved at a very fast pace providing a great sense of tension. I was surprised at the quality of the script and was satisfied with the performances too.

So is it better than the 1978 version? IMO no, but then again I didn't expect it to be. Sure the zombies look better and the effects have a much more polished look than it's low-budget predecessor but unfortunately its lacking in the character development department. In the original I came to care about the survivors but in this version there were just to many characters introduced in such a small amount of time that it left them all underdeveloped. This film would've benifited immensly from about 20 more minutes of flushing out the personalities of at least the lead characters and their attempts to return to a sense of normalcy by adapting to life in the mall. The film just didn't convey a good sense of just how much time had passed while living in their new surroundings. IMO this made it hard to believe they had actually spent enough time in the mall to be tired of it. As a result it made the decision to embark on a dangerous relocation attempt feel a bit rushed. Since the running time is a sparce 97 mins. I'm hoping when the DVD hits we'll get more content along these lines.

The material during the credits was great but I would've liked it better if it was included in the actual feature rather than chopped up into several time-lapsed moments.

Other than that I loved what we did get and the cameo appearances by Tom Savini and Ken Foree were great but I felt as if I was the only one in the theater who recognized them and the store named after actress ***len Ross.

Beast
03-22-2004, 05:05 PM
Hoo Boy. You just knew someone was going to start some controversy over this movie. It's really really getting old, when people have to stick their nose into everything. And try to play morality police for the world. :rolleyes: :p

From Lincolnshire Echo:

Horror film posters showing a "dead" child's face should be taken down because they are scaring youngsters, according to a mother.

Angela Kelly (48), from Cherry Willingham, near Lincoln, was shocked when she first saw a poster advertising the new film Dawn of the Dead in the city's Outer Circle Drive.

The Advertising Standards Authority has confirmed that it has already received eight complaints since the poster hit the streets on Monday.

Several have appeared on bus stops and advertising boards around Lincoln.

Mrs Kelly, who passes the poster on the bus stop in the east of the city.

"It is absolutely horrendous and really disturbing," she said. "Children will be really scared by it. It is such a frightening image, the girl has piercing eyes. We try to avoid driving past it now."

The poster also bears the slogan: "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

The little girl pictured is meant to have risen from the dead as a zombie.

Dawn of the Dead is a remake of a 1978 horror film of the same name and is released next Friday with an 18 certificate. The storyline revolves around the dead coming back to life and eating the living.

Mrs Kelly has complained to the Advertising Standards Authority.

"It makes me so angry that these posters go up without any thought to anyone's feelings," she said. "I think it is all the more shocking because it is a little girl."

"I dread to think how people who have lost children must feel."

Donna Mitchell of the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said: "We have received eight complaints so far."

"We are looking into the complaints and will be assessing the poster."

"A decision will be taken by the ASA council on any action."

Before posters go on to the streets, the advertisers are advised to follow the Committee of Advertising Practice (Cap) Code. But advertisers are not bound to the Cap guidelines.

If a complaint is raised over an advertisement, the Advertising Standards Authority is brought in to investigate.

The ASA endorses and administers the code in the case of non-broadcast advertisements.

A spokesman for Adshel, the company which put up the posters, said: "We follow Cap and ASA guidelines."

"If they say the posters are acceptable then we have to follow that. The company which made the film would have got the approval."
The Poster In Question (Japanese Version) (http://www.thezreview.co.uk/posters/posterimages/dawnofthedead01.jpg)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
03-22-2004, 07:02 PM
She can go suck a tash. The kid isnt dead, she is zombified.

B'Omarr Monkey
03-22-2004, 09:15 PM
That poster is so tame. She just looks like a kid with really blue eyes who needs a bath. I was expecting something a bit more decomposed, like the "Zombie" poster. It's a horror movie for crying out loud.

I think we should all dress up like rotting zombies, go to this woman's house, and start banging on all her doors and windows. :D

The posters will stay up. By the time they finish looking into the complaints, the movie will have come and gone, or the posters will be covered over by posters for the next big release.

I can't believe this woman is so upset over a picture that she'll drive the long way around to avoid it. She probably took those same frightened children to see "The Passion" without having any qualms about it.

Turbowars
03-22-2004, 10:48 PM
What a joke. Isn't there something more important that she could be complaining about?

2-1B
03-22-2004, 11:12 PM
How am I slandering the original? I just don't like the original all that much.

Oh, you finally saw it ? :D :D :D

It's extremely dated, amongst other things. The new one is far superior in my eyes. It's just a matter of opinion, no need to have kittens over it.

Settle down, sparky. :rolleyes:
I did put a :p face in there. :crazed:

But since you mentioned it ;) , what "other things" would you list alongside the original being extremely dated ? :) Sure '78 is dated but then again, 26 years from now when people look back on the look of Dawn '04 and hear the trendy Disturbed song and the "look" of the surroundings, well it will be just as dated. :)

Hellboy - well said about the characters. The original gives us 4 people to rally around and mourn when 2 of them die. This new one gives us a backstory on Anna . . . and that's it. They flesh out Kenneth somewhat and a few of the others have more than a nominal amount of character development but it sure doesn't add up to a whole lot when compared to '78.

Darth Mina
03-24-2004, 01:31 PM
I love the movie but i do have a few questions

1 Was this incident all ovet the US?
2 how were the Zombies created?
3 Are they on the way to my city? :nerv: :crazed: :crazed:

AHGHGH THEY ARE IN MY FROT DOOR :eek: :eek:

stillakid
03-24-2004, 01:52 PM
The Poster In Question (Japanese Version) (http://www.thezreview.co.uk/posters/posterimages/dawnofthedead01.jpg)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Actually, she is more reminiscent of a Fremen than a zombie.

QLD
03-24-2004, 02:37 PM
I am not sure if I saw trhe original or not. I saw lots of zombie movies as a kid, and they kind of blur together.

I will say that I liked this movie.

I didn't like that you didn't really get to know many of the characters. Hell, I didn't know most of their names.

Mekhi's part was kind of ehh....he was good...but his storyline wasn't very....I dunno....good or believable come to mind.

Ving Rhames rocked.

Really, the things I would have liked are:

A.) More character depth, and less characters.
B.) What caused this to happen?
C.) A true ending, as opposed to the "Blair Witch" ending where I dunno WHAT the hell was going on. I thought it was a poor way to end the film.

But overall, I liked it. I give it a 6/10, but if those three points I brought up were changed, I would probably make it a 8.

Hellboy
03-24-2004, 03:55 PM
The quick anwser to mina solo's and LIMP's question about how this event came about is, no one knows. It was never explained in Romero's dead trilogy either. Due to the epidemic spreading so fast everyones primary concern becomes survival, so nobody really has a chance to find out what the cause is.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-24-2004, 04:20 PM
If Hellboy will allow me to expand on that: i believe it's mentioned on the newscast in the original NOTLD that some sort of radiation was found on a satellite returning from the orbit of Venus and once that came back into the earths atomsphere, all hell broke lose. So, i think i'd credit it to some sort of wacky radiation reaction. :D

Beast
03-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Isn't the Satellite thing from the remake of 'Night of the Living Dead'. I don't recall it from the original black and white version. But I do from the color remake. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
03-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Isn't the Satellite thing from the remake of 'Night of the Living Dead'. I don't recall it from the original black and white version. But I do from the color remake. :)

No, JMG's correct. In the B/W it was explained at the end that a returned satellite crashed and the resulting radiation animated corpses. What I want to know is how many unburied corpses not in morgue fridges were out to make that huge army of dead people? (j/k) In the 80's redo it was some barrel of toxin from the army that was opened in that med supply warehouse that did the deed.

In this one they mention the virus, but if they do a sequel (Day of the Dead) it leaves it open ended for scientists somewhere else to possibly come up with the "plausible" explanation and maybe a cure other than poppin a cap in the zombies to solve the problem.

Yeah, I ditched 3 hrs. of school today to check it out. I probably would have enjoyed it more if the theater had been full. The music was totally funny, especially when CJ says (when they're in the elevator playing that Air Supply song), "I love this song."

The zombies were definitely scarier than in the original and the script was better with regards with the interactions between the normal people (Mekhi, Ving, hot blond chick) and the security guards and that jerk Steve (the guy with the boat). Plus it showed more realistically how people might react being put into that stressful of a situation.

That being said, I still liked the OG version better. It was more fun seeing them run around the mall ridding it of zombies and dealing with the problems that cropped up than this one. The characters were developed better as a whole. In this one all we knew were, these people are good these other ones are jerks. That's it.

Plus the plot in this one was really predictatble. You knew Steve was going to eat it when he gives that line to blondie on the roof about letting her kill him if he was zombified. Plus when they brought out the chainsaw in the vans you just knew someone was going to get hacked up.

Anyways, this one was good. I got my $ worth. Just thought the OG was better.

Beast
03-24-2004, 07:29 PM
The barrel of toxins in the medical supply warehouse was "Return of the Living Dead". Not the 90's remake of "Night of the Living Dead". Ah well, either way. Dawn of the Dead (2004) was great. Now I can't wait for the DVD. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
03-24-2004, 08:37 PM
I told you guys that is was good. I'm going to talk my mom this weekend. My dad doesn't do the theater thing.:)

Darth Mina
03-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Wrong movie, I know but doesn't the girl in the poster have the same eye that the zombies in the Resident movies have?
I wonder If there is an unwritten rule that all zombies mus get blueish eyes.
well at least this way if I turn into a zombi i'll have the eyes I always wanted :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :crazed: :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-25-2004, 12:22 AM
Wrong movi I know but doesn't the girl in the poster have the same eye that the zombies in the Resident movies have?
I wonder If there is an unwritten rule that all zombies mus get blueish eyes.
well at least this way if I turn into a zombi i'll have the eyes I always wanted :D

lol I don't know if it's an unwritten rule, but damn does it look pretty cool!!! I was joking with my brother about getting those kind of contacts and seeing how folks would react to them.

But I agree, the eyes were similar to those in RE. Maybe they borrowed those contacts from the RE crew. :crazed: cheers!

Darth Mina
03-25-2004, 01:08 AM
In the original movie the zombies were not as fast as the ones in the 04 version. Also how long would it take for these zombies to die of hunger eventually the would have to eat to maintain muscle mass and energy Right? :sur:
Great movie never the less :D

2-1B
03-25-2004, 02:22 AM
Where the heck is Fettfield ?

I'm anxious to get his review . . .

Hellboy
03-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Based on his signature my guess would be he's in the process of moving, but maybe he doesn't mean it literally. :Ponder:

I'm curious to see what he thought as well.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Like myself, BFF is on spring break from college right now. He doesn't log on as much when he's at home as i believe his PC is unbelievably slow. I'm sure once he gets back to OSU next week, he'll update us! :D

I saw this flick again last night with a friend of mine and we both loved it...well, i had still loved it and he loved it too as it was his first time. I just LOVE the beginning when they play some Cash and show the chaos; that was just awesome. Also, that scene where Michael kisses Anna was really kinda sweet actually; i liked how that played off instead of some big kiss or something, just something small, but said alot. Can't wait for this flick on DVD! cheers! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Greetings fellow zombieites!! Here are a few zombie related links for y'all:

"Shaun of the Dead"- this romantic love story set against a zombie apocalypse looks downright HYSTERICAL. The new trailer is up, so check it out: http://www.uip.co.uk/films/shaun_of_the_dead/ It's due out in the US in the fall, i believe.

"Undead"- This aussie zombie flick has been on my "Must see" list since i found out about the movie last year. It's scheduled for a fall release as well in the US, but no definite date has been set. Check out the trailer: http://www.undeadmovie.com. This one looks far more serious than "Shaun" but still looks to have a few laughs. Enjoy!! Cheers! :D

James Boba Fettfield
03-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Yep, those are good reasons why I wasn't here to talk Dawn. Spring break comes once a year, and I don't find myself too attracted to the pc during that time. No offense guys, but my four year old sister likes to command a lot of my attention.

Anyway, I have yet to see the film. I was going to head out to see it with a friend last week, but we got too caught up in playing Madden 2004 and teaching me the finer points of playing the board game Risk to ever see it. I decided I'd wait until I hit Columbus to see the film, so I'll let you know how the film is later this week. It'll probably be Friday or Saturday, but based on all I have read this film looks to be a treat.

Kidhuman
03-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Welcome home JBF. :beard:

James Boba Fettfield
04-02-2004, 05:02 PM
TCM 2003 comes to my mind after I saw this film. I was very harsh on TCM 2003, but I did buy the film on dvd this week, so maybe it's not all that bad.

This movie was better than I expected. I wish they would have cut the baby from the story. I thought it was the silliest moment of the entire movie. Also, I mentioned 28 Days Later before when I saw the previews for this film...and I still think that after seeing it. Especially the scene after they return from the ammo store and make their break for it. It reminded me too much of the scene in 28 Days where they make a break out of the city.

So, it was an alright film. Cut back on some characters or something, because I certainly did not care if they lived or died. Compare this to the original when Peter is going to stay behind in the end :cry: ...well, I think we all know which one is better.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-23-2004, 10:35 PM
I saw this at Bloody Disgusting, who stole it from Dark Horizons.

Dawn of the Dead (DVD): Zack Snyder has apparently convinced the suits to let him release an unrated version of Dawn of the Dead with 25 minutes of extra footage. One of the special features on the disc will be a video diary of Andy the gunshop owner

AWESOME!!!! Sadly, they don't have a date set, as far as i know, but i'd guess probably late summer/fall? Can't wait for this DVD set! Cheers!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Signs point to July 26th

2-1B
04-25-2004, 02:13 AM
Thank goodness !

I've been wanting to see this again but I just don't have the time . . . I need a DVD fix.

Hellboy
04-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Dawn of the Dead (DVD): Zack Snyder has apparently convinced the suits to let him release an unrated version of Dawn of the Dead with 25 minutes of extra footage. One of the special features on the disc will be a video diary of Andy the gunshop owner.

I was really hoping this would happen. The film just felt way to short. It'll be interesting to see what got cut.

James Boba Fettfield
04-28-2004, 07:34 PM
www.thedigitalbits.com has the front cover art for the DVD.

2-1B
04-29-2004, 01:16 AM
Interesting cover . . . . I'm not sure how much I like it. It's not bad by any means.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-14-2004, 09:50 PM
FINALLY some DVD news from Bloody Disgusting:

Universal Home Video finally releases the terrific Dawn of the Dead remake on October 5th. Available in both R-rated (101min) and Unrated Director's Cut (110 min) editions, each with separate anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen releases carrying DD5.1 tracks. Extras on the theatrical edition include feature commentary with director Zack Snyder and producer Eric Newman, 12 minutes of deleted scenes (with optional commentary), "The Lost Tape: Andy's Terrifying Last Days Revealed" DVD exclusive short film, "Special Bulletin: We Interrupt This Program!" broadcast news of the zombie invasions, "Surviving the Dawn" making-of featurette and trailers. The Unrated Director's Cut will include all those extras plus "Raising the Dead" makeup effects and "Attack of the Living Dead" memorable zombie kills featurettes, "Splitting Headaches: Anatomy of Exploding Heads" and DVD-ROM features. Retail is $29.98 apiece

Yeah, i'll probably be getting the unrated edition. that's pretty sweet that the unrated one will have the same features as the rated one. That just saves me the trouble of renting the rated one to see different bonus stuff. Bravo Universal! :D

2-1B
06-14-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm all over that Unrated version.

I will always believe that Ving Rhames lives on to fight another day ! ! ! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Some more DVD art. Look pretty decent.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-09-2004, 11:16 AM
BD has a link to Homepage of the Dead of pics of the deleted scenes that are back in the film. I won't post a link directly to them as they contain naughty images such as nudity, blood and gore and downright zombie deliciousness!!

they also have 10 minutes of that "Day of the Dead: Contagium" but my PC won't load it. Maybe it detects that it's just a crappy film trying to capitalize from George A. romero. :D

Kidhuman
05-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Well, I finally saw this movie last night and it was damn good. Definitley buying this DVD when I see it.

Ji'dai
05-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah it was pretty good. The DVD menu has a montage of 'live' TV-news footage as the crisis unfolds. I like that kind of stuff - the best part of these apocalyptic movies is watching civilization fall apart.

"This is the Emergency Broadcast System for the greater Milwaukee area..."