PDA

View Full Version : What's up with your packaging?

JediTricks
10-17-2003, 03:49 AM
Back in the '70s, there were no bubble trays at all, figures were just loose in the bubbles. Then with POTF2 came the bubble trays, figures slapped into thin plastic trays that held them and their accessories securely in place via tray portrusions and tape. After that came twistie ties, you guys at Hasbro went nutty over these metal demons with some products. Now it's tape, twistie ties, trays that are deep and have the figure slip through cutouts and behind huge portrusions, and these clear rubber bands. What the heck is with rubber banding figures into the bubble trays? I could understand if the figure was loose in the tray with no tape or portrusions, but on some of the figures I've recently liberated, it's like trying to crack a safe!

They're $5 action figures, if the packaging costs so much to you, why bother with twistie-tying and rubber-banding stuff into the trays that you've already designed to hold the figures and accessories securely anyway? Is it a theft issue? Are the cargo containers they're shipped in routinely shaken by security giants? Do they come to life and try to escape in the stores? What the heck?!? Why spend more to do the job that the tape and tray you're using anyway is already doing???

Beast
10-17-2003, 04:02 AM
It just seems to be the commen packing design for toys now. Most likely due to theft/shipping issues, I'm going to guess. And while bad, McFarlane is a lot worse with the twisty ties and tape then I think Hasbro is at the moment. I sliced a gash in my thumb, trying to get my blood Queen Alien out of the box. And I actually had to take scissors to the one on the leg, cause it was so tight to the body/box, that it couldn't be untwisted. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
10-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Good effort, no result. If somebody wants to steal the figures, they will. Proof positive, I've seen "packaging" for the Clone Army guys three times only. The first was at TRU. No bubble around, no figures, just the torn up card. The second time was at a Target. The card had been cut open, figures removed and replaced with other Clone troopers, and glued back together. The third time, I'm happy to say, I found one intact.

If they want them, they'll get 'em, no matter how much wire and crap they use. Maybe they oughta look into installing a Lo-Jack on every item instead.

Turbowars
10-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Yeah how the hell do these factory workers get there hands in these tight spots? The funny thing is on the Fett Unleashed wave, the Han and Yoda had a crap load of wire ties and the Fet had NON. Strange. The ties don't bother me much, but on some of the McFarlanes stuff like JJB said it will take you 10 minute to open a toy like the Queen box set. MTW it kicks major @SS!!

Deoxyribonucleic
10-18-2003, 08:08 PM
I sliced a gash in my thumb, trying to get my blood Queen Alien out of the box. And I actually had to take scissors to the one on the leg, cause it was so tight to the body/box, that it couldn't be untwisted. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

OMG...OH MY GAaaa!

I almost gave up trying to get mine out AND try to keep the box in some form of "niceness" sheeeeesh!
:crazed:

LTBasker
10-18-2003, 08:24 PM
I recently found the youngling packs, it's insane. They were a major pain to get out of the packaging. I appreciate they're trying to make them harder to steal in stores, but if these figures are to kids, and kids being the only ones with fingers the right size to get to the ties and whatnot.. How the heck are they gonna play with a figure they can't get out of the packaging?

Sometimes I wonder if they melt down the tray, stick the figure in there then shape it instead of just laying the figure in :crazed:

Jargo
10-18-2003, 09:03 PM
Yeah how the hell do these factory workers get there hands in these tight spots? The funny thing is on the Fett Unleashed wave, the Han and Yoda had a crap load of wire ties and the Fet had NON. Strange. The ties don't bother me much, but on some of the McFarlanes stuff like JJB said it will take you 10 minute to open a toy like the Queen box set. MTW it kicks major @SS!!
Chinese ladies have dainty little fingers that get into very small spaces better than fat sausage western fingers.
At least the figures aren't clanshell packaged. That stuff needs cutting into to liberate the figures and then after you've sliced your hands to ribbons you have to contend with the twist ties and tape that have been applied after the figure blister allowed the figure to move during a drop test. That's to say someone at the factory is paid to drop things and if the product shifts around they shove inthe bands and ties to stop it moving in transit or if little fingers get clumsy in the stores and drop the stuff.

But i agree that on star wars figures it's a waste of time because the product is low quality anyway. I can understand having things that bind quality product in place so it looks it's best on the pegs but what with horrible cheap plastic and micro thin paint apps and half finished sculpts it's not worth bothering with on these toys.
There again I'd rather buy something that was a bit secure instead of how the vintage toys were packaged.

JediTricks
10-20-2003, 12:01 AM
Rubber banding a figure's shoulders into a tray is silly, the tray is doing all the work, the rubber band is going to cause a thief to steal the whole tray anyway and risk the item getting damaged by real buyers who don't see it's there.

Good point about clamshell packaging though, if SW went down that road, I might very well quit collecting because I hate that type of packaging so much.

Beast
10-20-2003, 12:14 AM
God, I hate clamshells. Any packaging made so you can't open the figure without a knife is ridiculous. I like to open figures in the car on the way back home, or between stores. Just so I can make sure that an arm isn't going to drop off. I got a Beast (Marvel Legends) figure a while back. And he was pure hell to get into. I finally managed it, but damn....that's just too much work. And I can see it really annoying a kid, who collected that line.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
10-20-2003, 09:57 AM
It's taken me as long as 30 minutes to open some items. (The Bantha comes immediately to mind. That thing was a pain.)

Why are the Saga figures packed with the trays "woven" around them? They're impossible to open!!

Also, the first Tessek I bought had to go back to the store, because the (completely pointless) rubber band holding him in had severed his head!

Kidhuman
10-21-2003, 09:48 AM
The idea is not for theft deterring. If you want it bad enough you will get it. Plus the fact that they are never security tagged, you can just slip the entire package into your bag or baggy pants.

I have gashed my finger horribly a few times opening up my kids toys. I hate twist ties. Those things are worthless. Rubber-banding figures is the most ridiculous thing ever heard or seen. Rubberbanding will not stop the package from getting crushed. I have never met a rubber band I couldnt ball up and squash.

Hasbro needs to stop wasting money on these useless packaging designs. The tray works fine with some scotch tapeover it. Simple, easy and effective.

darthzirock
10-26-2003, 01:55 AM
Sticking strictly to Hasbro's Star Wars figures' packaging--since they aren't responsible for how other toy lines are packaged and hopefully they'll never get as ridiculously twist-tie happy as McFarlane Toys or Toy Biz--I have to say that I've had a few instances where those idiotic "clear" rubberbands have actually damaged the toys. There really is no reason that some clear cellophane tape (as Scotch Tape is a TM & (c) of the 3M company, and who knows what cheap brand the factories over there in China actually use) couldn't do a better job of holding a figure or accessory into the tray than allowing these rubber slicing machines to dig into your incredibly cheap quality plastics. Unless, of course, the adhesive on the tape is so caustic that it might cause a chemical reaction with that cheap plastic and ... um, spontaneously combust???

JediTricks
10-26-2003, 08:10 PM
Yeah, it's bad enough when the tray warps a figure or an accessory, but the rubber bands and twistie ties do that to nearly every figure!