PDA

View Full Version : Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake

James Boba Fettfield
10-17-2003, 02:06 PM
I'll say this now....Tobe Hooper's Chainsaw is a better movie. This Remake is better than Chainsaw 3, but that's not saying much. This film had the gore, it had the jumps, it had the . . . well it had Harry Knowles' head on a plate, always a plus. That's about all this film had. The plot of the film, it was stale. I know, I know it was a remake, but still, I'm tired of seeing the whole whacko family that practices murder on broken down strangers as a past time.

"Let's pick up a strange person. Let's meet up with the yokels of the town to show how stranded these people really are. Let's try to start the car and it won't. Let's ignore some pretty obvious signs that these people aren't quite right. Let's get the car started, but then mess something else up on the car so we're still stuck."

Maybe it's because House of 1000 Corpses is still fresh in my mind. This remake was unnecessary. I thought maybe it was going to be good after all the reviews I read about it from different horror sites. I enjoyed seeing Leatherface without his mask on, and I enjoyed the end credits because the movie was finally over. I know, everyone else here that's big on horror is going to knock me, but that's how I honestly felt about this film.

JEDIpartner
10-17-2003, 02:53 PM
This looked completely inispid from the outset. Why remake a classic film like this? Part of the charm was it's low-budget look. They needed to remake this like they need to remake "The Exorcist" or "The Omen" or even "Halloween". Stupid people... :frus:

AT-AT Man
10-17-2003, 03:24 PM
i actually liked this movie. It was very dark and errie and the cinematography was great. I'll definately buy a copy of this along with the special edition release of the original.

derek
10-17-2003, 06:48 PM
i liked it better than kill bill. :D

......and jessica biel is gunning for that number three spot in my heart, behind natalie and winona, of course. ;)

AmanaMatt
10-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Ok, first off, everyone is entitled to their opinon, I just want to get that out of the way as I truly believe this and I am not attacking anyone here...I am going to be general.

This movie is in some ways, superior to the original. Overall, the acting is excellent, and while the movie has today's love of choppy editing, overall, it kicked ***. If you are a person that sees horror films to just bash them because they "SUCK", avoid this movie.

If you liked the original or plain have never seen this....SEE IT.

I'd give it a solid B+

Ebert L-O-V-E-D it....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-17-2003, 07:43 PM
I'm walking uptown to see it in a few minutes. I'll post my review when i get home. :D I'm quite anxious!! I'll be looking for fellow people to boo and hiss the DOTD trailer...lol Granted, I have some hope for it, but still, it'll be fun to meet fellow geeks. :p

AmanaMatt
10-17-2003, 09:28 PM
When I saw this today (Pasdena @ the Pacific Hustings Ranch for locals) I got the ROTK and MAtrix Revolutions trailers together....NICE.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Alright, i'm back from my viewing of the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and i'll start off with saying the show was nearly sold out......good crowd...very jumpy and a few girls were yelling during the flick.....great attractions..."Return of the King", "Matrix: revolutions" followed by "Dawn of the Dead" (i'm slowly warming up to this flick, but the geek in me is fighting it!)....the lights dimmed and the flick started...i must say that yes, and i'll be banned forever from fellow geek dwellings and nerd caves, but i liked this one much better than the original. Yes, yes, i'll say it again!! This is better than the original, at least in my opinion. Its' been a while since i've watched the original, as i didn't think that highly of it in the first place...if anything, i think i just enjoyed the respect it was given by the horror community. Anyway, before i get beat by somebody, lemme just state what i liked about this flick more than the original and i'll try to stay as spoiler free as possible.

1. Characters- The original had characters that frankly, i was somewhat happy when they got taken out. This one, i actually enjoyed getting to know the characters and was rooting for them to get the hell out of there. I actually sympathized with them too. The first one was just a bunch of aimless teens who i didn't give a rats butt about. When they got axed, i was just like "Ah, finally!!"

2. Leatherface- He seemed much more brutal in this one, but i could be mistaken, as it's been a while. I enjoyed him toying with the victims and one scene in particular when one character had to "face" him (those who saw it, know what i speak of) and the reaction of the character was just awesome. It was also kind of cool to get a chance to see Leatherface under the mask too. "That sweet sweet boy!" :crazed:

3. Style/score/atmosphere- This was one of the things i loved most about the film. I love how the film gradually changes from a light care-free flick and then gradually, the tone changes from bad to worse to completely screwed. I felt it was wonderfully shot and skillfully done. The score was also used very well here. I think i jumped a few times as well, as the score had a good impact with some "scary scenes." I also felt the film was very atmospheric. Interior shots of the house, furnace room and whatnot were very well done. It all looked so dreary and hopeless.

4. Them crazy townies!!- The supporting cast was just great!! I mean, any movie that casts Lee Emery and effectively uses him gets bonus points in my book. I also loved how all the characters were each nice n' twisted in their own way; granted, we didn't get too in depth with a majority of them as say in "House of 1000 Corpses", but just having them there and be so indifferent to what was going on was just great.

Overall: it was a very satisfying experience. I'm sure "horror purists" are going to have a field day with this flick and whatnot, but meh, couldn't care less really. This flick was relatively funny (before the crap hits the fan!), intense, twisted and fun. Plus, Jessica Biel is a goddess. She's definately up there on my "Hottie list" but i can't place her just yet. lol Anyway, check this flick out; you won't regret it! Cheers!! :D

mylow thehutt
10-18-2003, 12:03 AM
I would love some movie spoliers please..... :happy: :happy:

2-1B
10-18-2003, 01:41 AM
I might try to see this tomorrow so I'll voice my pre-viewing criticisms right now:

a) that new Leatherface mask is an absolute joke. :rolleyes: It looks like they're trying to give him an "evil" look when that's not the point behind the character. He's not an evil bloodthirsty killer, he's a mentally deficient laid off slaughterhouse worker. Jeez, he's just trying to do his job. :crazed:

b) Leatherface being "more brutal" is a great concern to me. See above for my reasons why. That's just it, he himself is not supposed to be a scary guy . . . it's the warped world in which his mind lives that makes him so creepy. Know what I mean?
Regardless, maybe I'm misinterpreting Guyote's description.

c) I don't like the fact that they used John Larroquette's narration from the first film in the trailers for this remake. Do they use it in the film? :confused:

Despite my reservations, I really do hope to like this movie. We'll see. :)

Beast
10-18-2003, 02:04 AM
The new Leatherface mask looks better then the original in my opinion, Caesar. And seeing what's under it was pretty damn cool, actually. I don't think it looks any more evil or good then the classic mask. Just more realistic. It really is never seen 100% clear for more then a couple minutes anyway. So it's no big deal. :)

He's not more brutal, any more then the original films. Hell, other then a couple attacks, he's less brutal. Remember, classic Leatherface cut a wheelchair bound character in half, as well as smacked a girl in the head with a mallet to get her head to bleed. He's much more brutal in the older movies. :)

As for John Larroquette's narration. Yes, it's in the film. But from what I could tell, it's newly recorded. They didn't just re-use the original recording from the classic film/films. John Larroquette's voice is synonymis with TCM. So It's nice to see it used again, no matter how it was done. :)

And seeing that idiot Harry Knowles head on a plate was more then worth the $5.75 admission charge. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-18-2003, 07:07 AM
Yeah, i couldn't recall how "brutal" the original Leatherface was. I do remember him gettin the wheelchair kid in the original though, that was kinda nifty.

As for Harry knowles head, was his head hte one they showed BRIFELY on the table, the red headed bearded guy? That was good stuff! :D

James Boba Fettfield
10-18-2003, 08:33 AM
a) that new Leatherface mask is an absolute joke. :rolleyes: It looks like they're trying to give him an "evil" look when that's not the point behind the character. He's not an evil bloodthirsty killer, he's a mentally deficient laid off slaughterhouse worker. Jeez, he's just trying to do his job. :crazed:

b) Leatherface being "more brutal" is a great concern to me. See above for my reasons why. That's just it, he himself is not supposed to be a scary guy . . . it's the warped world in which his mind lives that makes him so creepy. Know what I mean?

To me, this Leatherface was more brutal. He was killing with no real purpose in mind. If anything, he reminded me more of Jame Gumb from Silence of the Lambs than he did Leatherface. Some scenes it did seem like he wanted to mess with the kids, like when he wore the face of Kemper (that's his name, right?) I never really got the sense that the Hewitts (name changed from the Sawyers) were cannibals, it seemed to me they were doing these horrific things because ol' Thomas (not named Bubba anymore) was picked on for the 'skin disease' he had. The murders were there way of getting back on those who tormented Thomas. Then there's the family. Again, this family is just there to let Leatherface know he's a nice boy and the people he's killing deserve it because of what's happened in the past. The point of the psycho sheriff being a part of it all really took me out of the film. I thought maybe I was watching Full Metal Jacket 2. The Sawyers are a more frightening family than the Hewitts, because they felt like they were a real family and not some jumbled up mess of people who don't really fit together.

I know, I shouldn't judge this movie compared to the original, but it is a remake so it's hard to see it as a stand alone film. If it wanted to be something new and original, then the filmmakers should have done just that, made a new and original film. I'm not knocking remakes or anything, as I am a fan of a few of them.

Overall, the new TCM is a decent film with less unsettling moments and more hide & seek, jump out of nowhere and make you jump scares. If this film were to be judged alone, I'd recommend it. For what it was, it was alright, but it's so damn hard to see it through the eyes of someone who loves the original TCM, don't hate me for it.

scruffziller
10-18-2003, 09:35 AM
I am reluctant to see the film because of all the bad reviews and what you guys have said. But from the trailers and what I have seen, this is not a remake but a completely different movie with its name stamped on it. The charachters are way different(new charachter's that weren't EVEN IN THE FIRST ONE!!!! :mad: ) dialouge and events are way different. Also I am saying this with in mind that I have never seen any of the sequels but that souldn't matter should it??:confused:
Plus dumb Jessica Biel was saying this is based off of Ed Geen...... HELLO??!!!!
The movie(original) was basically suppose to be a documentary of actual events that happened in Texas during the 60s. They caught everyone except Leatherface.

A film with less unsettling moments and more hide & seek, jump out of nowhere and make you jump scares. For what it was, it was alright, but it's so damn hard to see it through the eyes of someone who loves the original TCM, don't hate me for it.Amen to that. Jumping out and scaring was not what the origianal was about at all. House of a 1,000 Corpses is the only thing that really comes close that I have seen. I say it before and say it again, the original was not a HORROR movie but a TERROR movie. And no flick of its sort can hold a candle to it of its craft. In fact I wouldn't even say it is a slasher film at all. Your Jasons, Freddy's etc. are not even in the same league as Leatherface.

Plus I am the proud owner of the SE TCM with deleted scenes and remastered it is awesome!!!!!!!

derek
10-18-2003, 09:58 AM
i have to agree with everything Jedi_Master_Guyute said in his review. i saw both the original and the re-make yesterday, and i think the re-make is a far better movie for all the reasons JMG listed.

.....a question for those who know the original film well, as i've only seen it twice. i saw it a while back and seem to recall after the girl escapes leatherface, there is a scene in a hospital at the end of the movie. but it wasn't on the dvd i watched last night. was the hospital scene in one of the sequals?

.....and scruffziller.........i don't think the TCM has any basis in reality. it, along with psycho and silence of the lambs were inspired by ed gein.... http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/gein/bill_1.html

scruffziller
10-18-2003, 10:25 AM
\
scruffziller.........i don't think the TCM has any basis in reality. it, along with psycho and silence of the lambs were inspired by ed gein.... http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/gein/bill_1.html
Yea my bad...:o

I had always heard it was a true story on its own. Well some of my hardcore fans are going to diapponted. My apoligies to Ms Biel....

To answer your hospital query, it was not in the first one, never saw any of the sequels.

Beast
10-18-2003, 10:34 AM
Yeah Scruffy. Ed Gein and his crimes were the basis for the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. As for the new movie, I do have to wonder why the whole 'Cannibal' aspect was dropped. Maybe because Hannibal had made canabalism mainstream, and they wanted to go down a different path. All in all, I'm looking at it just as a new movie. With no connection to the others, other then the name. It's unfair to judge it next to the original movie. When it's better to judge it on it's own merits and flaws. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
10-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Yeah Scruffy. Ed Gein and his crimes were the basis for the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. As for the new movie, I do have to wonder why the whole 'Cannibal' aspect was dropped. Maybe because Hannibal had made canabalism mainstream, and they wanted to go down a different path. All in all, I'm looking at it just as a new movie. With no connection to the others, other then the name. It's unfair to judge it next to the original movie. When it's better to judge it on it's own merits and flaws. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
In reasearching the "truth" of the story's origin, I came across some movie sites advertising the new one. The basic premise is that the surviving victim came forward to tell the REAL truth of what happened and that what the original was, was pure fiction and this "remake" is what really happened. How lame.:rolleyes: The cannibalism gone!!!!!???? :mad: How dare they!!!! That aspect was the entire foundation of what the movie was about!!!! I am definatley not going to see it.:frus:

AmanaMatt
10-18-2003, 12:04 PM
As for the mask in this one....I was concerned too, but to be frank, the way the film is shot, you only get to see it truly up close and personal once or twice....which is fine by me, so for that, reason, I was not to 'off-put' by the look.

James Boba Fettfield
10-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Well, the cannibalism is sort of there. The one scene I can remember where Leatherface was acting like a real butcher was when he put salt on that guy's leg where it was cut off and wrapped it. Maybe that was supposed to be the nod to cannibalism? I don't know. But that's really all I can remember that might of been related to cannibalism.

And scruff, I'd go see the film anyway. Sure it's a remake, but that's not necessarily going to make it bad. Cronenberg made The Fly a lot better than the one that starred Vincent Price (attack me if you will, but I am not a fan of the original film) The Thing starring Kurt Russel was one thousand times better than the Thing film that came long before it. Then there's the fact that horror films lately in the theaters have been anywhere from stupid to worthless (examples: Cabin Fever, Wrong Turn, Jeepers Creepers 2, and House of the Dead)

Sure this film is better than the Chainsaw sequels, I don't think it's better than the original, but it's about as close to the original as you're going to get when it's compared to the other Chainsaw films. What with making Leatherface some cross dressing freak and all of that...Ugh, I hate the sequels so much! Just try to push away any thoughts of the original film if you do see it, because it will only make you hate this film the entire time you are watching it. Sure it's not TCM, but it's an alright film in these dreary times of terrible horror films being brought to the big screen. I only hope Hollywood doesn't think remaking horror films is the way to go with mainstream horror. I'd hate to see a retelling of Freddy, Jason, and Mike. Then again, I'd really hate to see sequels starring any of those guys again, too.

scruffziller
10-18-2003, 02:19 PM
What with making Leatherface some cross dressing freak and all of that...Ugh, I hate the sequels so much!
Well in case you don't remember, the last part of the original, the mask he is wearing is the flesh off the head of a woman, hair and all. The mask he has on in the beggining is different. He has a number of masks in a bucket hanging from the ceiling. And if you didn't notice before he is wearing make up at a point there. On the Special Edition DVD, they show a deleted scene where he is applying the makeup to the mask. That suit somewhat looks like a ladies pantsuit too. So he was crossdressing to a degree in the first one too.

James Boba Fettfield
10-18-2003, 02:53 PM
scruff, watch number four and you'll understand where a lot of my disgust comes from.

2-1B
10-18-2003, 08:21 PM
Okay, I have much ground to cover. :D
I agree with probably 99% of what James Boba Fettfield has posted in this thread.

Yes, I see where James is coming from with the crossdressing statement - it's based mostly on the Next Generation remake. It is hinted at in the original film and it's cool there . . . but it's way out of hand in part 4 (which is more of a remake by Kim Henkel than a sequel).

Speaking of Kim Henkel's film, I'd say this new TCM movie is much more a remake of Henkel's remake because it sure as hell does not merit the title of the classic original film. :rolleyes:

Wow, what a piece of garbage. Okay, as a general horror film, it's better than alot of other stuff out there but that's not really a compliment.

Yes, we certainly should compare it to the original since it is leeching off the name and success of the original:

What I liked:
Eric Balfour as Kemper. Great actor, I love this kid. He was on Six Feet Under for awhile and I instantly loved his character. Too bad he was the first of the 5 to go . . . :cry:

Jessica Biel is not the prettiest girl but she's got a mighty smokin' bod. No argument there. :)

I also liked the cinematography (mostly the daylight scenes).

I KINDA liked R. Lee Ermey as the sheriff because, well, he's R. Lee Ermey for goodness sake! :D How can I not like him? His performance was great even though it didn't fit into the movie for me.

What I didn't like (which is most of the movie):
The lack of cannibalism, that's a given . . . but what really irked me is that they took out Bubba's backstory. When they drove past the meat factory, I thought "ooh, there we go" but oh no, it was just a shot to set up the tired chase scene at the end. :rolleyes: Umm, the whole point to Bubba's "work" in the first movie seemed to be because he lost his job at the meat plant. I don't mean he started killing because of that, just that it explains his M.O.

Of course, they couldn't relay that information to the audience because they took out Nubbins from the screenplay (aka The Hitchhiker from the original).
------Still, it was pretty cool to have the girl "hitchhiker." I actually thought it was a nice touch and an interesting change. So I should really make this note in my 'what I liked list' because I really did think it was a cool change even though I missed Nubbins--------

But really, after the events in the van with the girl (kudos to the cinematographer on the "through the head" pan out shot :D ) it's ALL downhill for me.

That little buck toothed kid was lame, that boyish looking lady in the trailer home was lame, the other woman in the trailer was lame, Leatherface's mom was lame, and MY GOODNESS did I hate that old guy in the wheelchair. These characters all annoy me whereas Drayton Sawyer, Nubbins, and Grandpa all make me laugh in the original. :crazed:

Binks, you were right about Bubba's mask not being a big deal . . . I didn't get that many good looks at it myself so it was not a big deal. Except for that shot toward the end where they really zoom in on it and it has a twisted evil look to it when it's supposed to just be dead skin hanging there. Oh well.

Another thing that I did not like was the way in which they actually used scenes from the original. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect (nor did I want) a verbatim remake - I like tat they changed some stuff. SOME stuff. ;) It's just that when I watched the movie, the scenes they DID pay homage to were just very poorly done in my opinion. For example, I didn't care much for the shot when Kemper gets hit on the head by Leatherface. That scene is fairly close to the original but the way Leatherface is played, it's just boring to me. No surprise at the guy's presence (he was eyeballing him and knew he was there), no "happy dance" when he clobbered the guy, and no sense of shock when he slammed the door shut.

There are some other scenes that bug me, too. The one-armed Leatherface swinging his saw at the end felt really lame compared to his little parade in the original. How about the leg wound he takes after tripping through the barbed wire fence? The injury takes place in the original, too, but it just pales here.

So basically, I think the stuff they changed was worse (on the whole) and the stuff they kept was worse than the original. As a remake, this is terrible. As a ripoff, it certainly has its moments.

Still, "the saw is family" so if you like horror movies, I certainly won't tell you to not watch it. Just don't expect anything worthy of the name "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." :)

One side note to Binks, I changed my mind about John Larroquette. I think it's cool that he's in there and I think it's cool they did a new recording (even though I liked the opening scroll of the original better). :)

preacher
10-18-2003, 09:40 PM
The cannibalism was touched on - but it was subtle. The fridge that the blond kid looked in had eyeballs and other parts. When the hot-bod chick's character wakes up after being drugged, the oldest brother says something like maybe she can stay for supper.

The mood reminded me of se7en.

2-1B
10-18-2003, 09:49 PM
Also, the signs for "beef jerkey" were a hint to me . . . but then again, they didn't play on it beyond that.

Speaking of Ed Gein, the original TCM was allegedly based LOOSELY, VERY LOOSELY on his crimes. In real life, Gein was more of a graverobber than anything else, and since they pulled the grave robbing from the original and didn't use it in the remake, the connection is even less. :)

2-1B
10-18-2003, 10:09 PM
WHOA !
I was really bothered regarding the little kid "Jedidiah" because I KNEW he was familiar . . . but I couldn't place him . . . so I just checked IMDb and he's the kid from The Ring !

:)

Beast
10-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Gein's been the inspiration for a lot of Horror Film killers. Not only Leatherface, but Buffalo Bill and Norman Bates. Here's the part that inspired Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Here's a nice page discussing the inspiration. :)

Hooper has also said that he based the character of Leatherface on Ed Gein, a Wisconsin farmer who robbed graves (his own mother's supposedly among them), allegedly engaged in necrophilia and cannibalism, and murdered at least two women in the 1950s (one of whose corpses was found hanging naked — decapitated and disembowelled — in Gein's residence). Police eventually discovered the remains of 15 different mutilated female bodies in Gein's filthy farmhouse, parts of which (mostly skin and bones) had been fashioned into a variety of bizarre objects (including drums, bowls, masks, bracelets, purses, knife sheaths, leggings, chairs, lampshades, and shirts), as well as a refrigerator full of human organs.
http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/chainsaw.asp

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-18-2003, 10:18 PM
THATS' where he was from!! I guess i didn't recognize him with the huge weird a-- teeth. hehehehehehehehehehe

Man, he was a brat in "The Ring" wasn't he?
"Why did you help her?!" "Don't you get it?!?!??!" Ooooooo!! He reminded me from that braty prince in that episode of MST3K, "Viking Women and the Sea Serpent"

(mike acknowledges that he has made an obscure reference and apologizes to those who don't get it) :D

Beast
10-18-2003, 10:25 PM
We're all pretty much geeks here, JMG. I think there would be very few of us that don't get a MST3K refrence. And if they don't, then shame on them. And I was suprised at who the kid was also. He looked familar, but I couldn't place him. Damn, he looked so much freakier then he did in 'The Ring'. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
10-19-2003, 01:21 AM
I didn't get the MST3K reference. Shame on me.

:p

plasticfetish
10-19-2003, 03:14 AM
Well, I haven't seen it yet ... and I suppose I'm not terribly excited to see it at this point. Hearing that the "cannibalism" theme has been downplayed for some reason makes me even less interested. I dunno, maybe I'll go catch a matinee showing ...

As far as the Ed Gein thing goes, Tobe Hooper said (when I saw him speak after a showing of TCM recently) that he had(has?) family in Wisconsin and when he was younger he used to listen to them telling Gein stories. When it came time to write the Chainsaw script, he said that he used some details remembered from those stories.

Beast
10-19-2003, 07:58 PM
Well, people put their money where their mouth was. As expected, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) was the #1 movie of last week. Blowing away Kill Bill that dropped to #2. Note that TCM is now the 2nd Biggest opening in October ever in the history of movies. Only Red Dragon beats it, with $36+ Million. :eek: Now to see if we can expect the 50% drop in returns, that occassionally happens in these cases. :)

From BoxOfficeMojo.Com:
#1 Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 29 Million
#2 Kill Bill Volume 1 - 12.5 Million Total 43.3 Million
#3 Runaway Jury - 12 Million
#4 School of Rock - 11. 3 Million Total 55.1 Million
#5 Mystic River - 10.3 Million Total 13.4 Million
#6 Good Boy! - 9 Million Total 25.7 Million
#7 Intolerable Cruelty - 6.8 Million Total 23 Million
#8 Out of Time - 4.1 Million Total 35.2 Million
#9 Under the Tuscan Sun - 3.4 Million Total 33.6 Million
#10 The Rundown - 2.8 Million Total 44.5 Million
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
10-19-2003, 09:27 PM
hey jar jar, do you post over at box office mojo? if so, what's your name?
those are some post padding folks over there.........they'd put GNT to shame :happy: :eek: ;) ........and their obsession about box office numbers and desire to make everyone love the films they love makes us star wars geeks look downright sane. :D

Beast
10-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Nope, I just snagged the numbers from there. I saw them posted over on 'The Asylum'. Which is sort of a Movie Maniacs/Neca/Horror/Sci-Fi/Whatever type of a message board. So I decided to repost them here. And I'm not suprised about there being massive post padders at BOM. But I've never looked. Atleast I've earned all 9,000+ posts of mine, without padding. :)

But, I really don't care about Box Office numbers myself. Sure I follow them, but more as a 'How Good Is This Movie Doing' way, instead of a 'How Good Is This Movie' way. And I'll give you good reason for that choice. One word, Titanic. Since Titanic is the highest grossing movie of all time, and I hate that god awful peice of crap. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
10-20-2003, 02:13 AM
Hahaha ... ahhhhh ... (breath) ...
I've been sitting here for like five minutes laughing at how you ended the sentence, "... and I hate that god awful peice of crap." with smilies.

Beast
10-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Glad you liked that, Plasticfetish. Oh, we have news. Appearantly the Box Office returns have guarenteed that we'll see a sequel. And work is already gearing up. Now the big question, will they go an original direction, or will they attempt to follow the storyline of TCM 2. :)

When the first movie makes $29 million dollars on its opening weekend, and it only cost one-third that to make, you better believe the film's creators will be talking sequel before the trades hit the street Monday morning. And that's precisely what happened: today's edition of Variety mentions that THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE producers are already talking about making a sequel to their box office hit. Platinum Dunes producers Mike Fleiss and Michael Bay have begun speaking with New Line Cinema about doing CHAINSAW 2, although all the planning is still at the very early stages (i.e. money discussion.)
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
10-20-2003, 01:05 PM
I'd assume that they'd have to go with a somewhat new idea. From what Tobe said at the screening, Chainsaw 2 was a kind of ... mmm(?) ... time specific sort of thing. They came to him and said, "Can you make it scary and funny?" So he did. I don't see it happening again like that ... that's a very era specific film. I love Chainsaw 2 by the way. Any kind of lame re-do would be ignored by me ... but I would like to see them work the idea that the Sawyer family might have moved through other locations. Maybe even going backwards and doing a prequel to Chainsaw 1.

Slightly off topic, but did I ever post a link to this (http://www.theantlers.com/grill/index.html).
Make sure you click on the photo to read the story.

evenflow
10-20-2003, 01:07 PM
You know, i liked it. I thought it had enough humor and gore. I mean i dont ever expect from a horror movie. I mean when i think of a horror movie it is supposed to be predictable and cheesy. I enjoyed.

2-1B
10-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Considering that they ignored much of the cool stuff from the original, why would they use TCM2 as the basis for a new sequel? :confused:

Awesome link, PF ! :D

James Boba Fettfield
10-20-2003, 01:42 PM
You didn't think this new TCM was predictable, evenflow? I'm not trying to argue with you or anything over that, just wondering if that's what you mean.

Beast
10-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Agreed Caesar. But they could use elements from TCM2, for the sequel. Hopefully actually touching on the cannabalism aspect, instead of making vague hints at it like TCM-2003. Plus who wouldn't love seeing new versions of 'Chop Top' and 'Grandpa'. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
10-20-2003, 08:06 PM
I just got back from seeing this film and being a fan of the original I must say this was a big dissapointment. Very predictable and slow with much less shock value than it's predecessor. I doubt the sequel will be anything worth catching in the theater.

The highlight of this movie for me was the trailer for the Dawn of the Dead remake (one of my all time favorite horror flicks). I was completely unaware of this project but I already noticed a few changes from the original in the preview of this version which is never a good sign. The Night of the Living Dead remake was a pile of dung IMO so I'm not holding out to much hope for this film especially since George A. Romeo isn't directing. :(

2-1B
10-21-2003, 02:26 AM
them's fighting words, Hellboy, I loved the NOTLD remake ! :)

Well Binks, for me the charm of Grandpa in TCM2 is the fact that he's still around from the original. :D

As for Chop Top, it's his relation to Nubbins which I love - I mean, Bill Mosely himself ROCKS but part of that is built on the creepiness of Nubbins in part 1 so Chop Top can take that and go overboard with the humor.
That's why I wouldn't see the point. But I do see what you are saying. :)

I thought of something else I liked about the remake:
The scene where Andy(?) runs away from Leatherface through the sheets in the backyard: I thought that was very well done. It reminded me of Sally's run through the sage brush in the original . . . so I wanted to be fair to the remake because I didn't list that scene originally as one of the few homages that worked for me. :)

Hellboy
10-21-2003, 10:19 PM
them's fighting words, Hellboy, I loved the NOTLD remake ! :)

Really?? I found the changes to the ending to be excessive.

I do however agree with you about the sheets chase scene from TCM. Leatherface's entrance and pursuit of Andy(??) was one of the times I actually felt a good sence of tension in the film.

2-1B
10-22-2003, 02:07 AM
Hellboy, don't get me wrong - the original version of NOTLD is better. As for the changed ending . . . overall I agree with you but I still like it. Barbara putting one in Cooper's head was very satisfying. "Another one for the fire." :D
Ben . . . poor Ben . . . I always hated how he went out in the original but that's part of the tragedy, I guess. :cry:
With the '90 remake, I guess I felt a little more at ease with him dying in the basement after lighting a cigarette and having a good laugh at the radio and his finding of the gas pump key. It felt to me like he went out more on his own terms, know what I mean? Still, the original film's ending is more powerful.

:)

Hellboy
10-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Caesar I agree it was definately a more powerful and tragic ending in the original and that's why I liked it more. It did feel unfair that Cooper went out that way but at the same time it fit nicely in the film. For some reason I found the actors who played the married couple that had the infected daughter extremely annoying in the remake. On the plus side though I liked the casting of Tony Todd but overall the movie just didn't do it for me. I'm not a big fan of remakes anyways but if they would've followed the original more closely I probably would have enjoyed it more. Even though I'm not a big Psycho fan I think Gus Van Sant had the right idea with his remake basically doing it shot for shot as more of an homage rather than a different interpretation. :)

Beast
10-24-2003, 02:49 AM
Just saw this posted elsewhere. It's from ComingSoon.Net. Sad to see that the rights holders of the original are being greedy. Ah well, the Amityville Horror re-make sounds good. :)

The Amityville Horror Getting the Remake Treatment Source: Variety Friday, October 24, 2003

Platinum Dunes partners Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller have been tapped by MGM to mount a remake of the 1979 hit The Amityville Horror.

The Jay Anson book on which the original was based purported that the residents of a tree-lined home in a Long Island suburb were terrorized by a haunted house. The home had been inhabited previously by a disturbed young man who murdered his family. The film became a bit hit and hatched seven sequels.

Platinum has been courted by studios after the success of its Marcus Nispel-directed The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Bay said the company is firming other projects, but it doesn't look like a sequel to its current hit will happen.

"We've heard from the rights holders on 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' that they want what Hillary Clinton earned for writing her book," Bay told Variety. "That simply isn't worth it to us."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
11-03-2003, 04:55 PM
I saw it last night and I loved it! The towns people are what did it for me, oh and the chick with the white shirt did too. I loved the Sheriff! I was kind of freaked out. Man I love this stuff!!:evil:

darthzirock
11-23-2003, 02:21 AM
JIM SIEDOW: 1920-2003

Actor Jim Siedow, best known to horror fans for his role as Drayton Sawyer, “The Cook” from Tobe Hooper’s The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Parts 1 & 2 has passed away at the age of 83. He was at home with his wife of 57 years, Ruth Siedow.

I spoke with Tobe Hooper, who had this to say about Mr. Siedow: “We’ve lost a great artist and my heartfelt sympathies go to his family. He was an extraordinarily unique talent. Chameleon-like truly, and his Shakespearan work for the stage was truly fantastic…I’m at a loss for words. What people don’t realize is that he was a wonderful comedian, a very funny and extremely kind man. Definitely the real deal.”

Mr. Siedow had been suffering from a long-term illness and had only just returned from the hospital the day before.

His body will be donated to Baylor College of Medicine. A Memorial Celebration of Mr. Siedow’s life will be held sometime next month at the Theater Suburbia in Houston, where he was active as a stage performer for many years.

Well, that's just a shame. Siedow was probably the only "real" actor in the original version of Chainsaw, and was definitely the highlight of Part 2.

plasticfetish
11-23-2003, 03:02 AM
Oh man. That sucks.
Drayton was such a brilliant character ... that's really a shame. I really thought Siedow was great.

Beast
11-23-2003, 10:09 AM
Some DVD news from Bloody-Disgusting.com. :)

'Texas Chainsaw' DVD For Valentine's Day!
[ Exclusive News and Reviews | Posted by: MrDisgustingon 11.21.03 @ 05:41 pm ]

Brian writes in some news about the forthcoming Texas Chainsaw Massacre (review) remake DVD, "...Next up is the release of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. It will be part of our Platinum Series with tons of features. Expect three seperate commentaries, an isolated score track, "STARZ! Behind the Scenes: The Making of TCM" documentary, "Leatherface: The Face of Fear" documentary, police reports, and much more. For all of the ladies, there is a hillarious montage included on the disc that features Eric Balfour running stark naked through the fields of Texas durring production. Retail price is $26.99 with a street date of February 17, 2004."

Source: New Line Cinema, Blody-Disgusting
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
12-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Updated News and Coverart for TCM (2003) DVD from DVDAnswers. I didn't include the menu screen shot. It wasn't all that important. But here's the specs. Not too happy with the price point for their platinum edition release.

Title: Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Starring: Jessica Biel
Released: 30th March 2004
SRP: $39.92

Further Details
New Line have officially announced the region one releases of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre which stars Jessica Biel, Eric Balfour and Erica Leerhsen. The film will be available in two seperate packages from the 30th March next year. The first of these packages will be a two disc platinum edition of the film. This will retail at around $39.92 and will arrive in a collectible and removable metal plaque cover. The second release will be a cut down version, featuring only a music video, trailer and TV spots. This will retail at around $27.95. The platinum specs are attached below along with art and a menu shot:

1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
English Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Track
English DTS ES Surround Track
3 Audio Commentaries with Director Marcus Nispel, Michael Bay & More
Chainsaw Redux (Making Of) Documentary
Selection of Deleted Scenes
Alternate Opening and Ending
Crime Scene Photographs
Motograter “Suffocate” Music Video
Gein: The Ghoul of Plainfield Documentary
Cast Screen Tests
Various Art Galleries
Script-to-Screen (DVD-ROM)
Original Theatrical Trailers
Seven TV Spots
English & Spanish Subtitles
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthzirock
12-17-2003, 11:28 AM
December 17: MGM and Dimension to share AMITYVILLE house

Variety reports that MGM and Dimension, which had been developing conflicting AMITYVILLE projects, will now team up to produce a single feature. MGM had remake rights to the original AMITYVILLE HORROR and Dimension snagged the life-story rights and cooperation of George Lutz, head of the family that experienced the alleged haunting. Now, MGM’s script will be the one produced, with Dimension’s possibly turned into a sequel. Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form of Platinum Dunes, which scored with the TEXAS CHAINSAW remake, will produce.

Dimension has also teamed with MGM on TRUE BELIEVER, the supernatural thriller that marks Hideo (RINGU) Nakata’s U.S. directorial debut. The Miramax genre arm will handle the American release of the movie, scripted by Doug Richardson from his novel about a woman seeking to have the child of a Death Row inmate who claims to be a messiah.

Well, isn't that great? So, instead of two unnecessary remakes, we'll get one and its unnecessary sequel! :crazed:

JON9000
12-19-2003, 11:47 AM
The Amityville Horror is quite possibly the most boring horror movie I ever saw.