PDA

View Full Version : Not enough time in the day? Scheduling Tips.

Tycho
10-17-2003, 05:31 PM
I am going to do this more, but here's some tips I'm trying to follow:

1) time to do nothing. Actually schedule this. Some people can use it to meditate, some people can use it to absorb more television, other people can come up with a plan to blow time at an instant's notice. Best of all, use this time to get back in bed and take a nap or something. You'll be amazed how you get back up and get to work or play at a faster clip!

2) time to do chores. Actually put your laundry, mowing your lawn, etc. on your appointment calendar. If nobody else is reading it, they don't know what your appointment is. Even if they do read it (your secretary or your boss), they all have to do the same things you do, and they probably won't memorize when you're scheduled to do your wash or put away your dishes, so you can just say "I have an appointment." It's a big deal for your semi-annual teeth cleaning that you take time off work for it even though it's nothing you enjoy, isn't taking time to schedule those "always have to's" a good idea so that they get done and there's nothing you stress over?

3) fun plans: trips to Disneyland etc need to be scheduled, but why not schedule days at the beach, or time to read a book - something specific that you enjoy. Then you can't alter your enjoyment of your free-time, you have an appointment with a good SW book to keep. This is different from scheduling time to do nothing. When you think your life is beating you up and you don't have time to do things you want to, schedule them here. That way if it's your goal to go snorkling, you do it. When you need to rest, you can't exactly do that while you're snorkling, so that's why it's different. In your "fun plans" time you can also schedule things like continuing education, or other goals that are extra curricular that you want to achieve. It's time to do something, whether it's productive or just fun. You'll feel better about yourself if you just get to do it in the first place. This is also project time, not chores time. If your goal is to repaint your house, that's ok - that's not a regular chore like the dishes. But it's also not time to vegetate either.

Get it?

3 times you need to schedule every week: vegetation (extra sleep, or spontaneous stuff), chores, achievements (fun, or project goals).

At least one week a month your achievements (fun or project goals) needs to be fun. If you're on a budget, set time aside to go out Friday night and shoot pool or re-examine your SW collection (as that's no longer a small procrastination exercise for vegetation time with the size of today's modern collection).

But if you're painting your house and estimate it will take you 4 weekends, or 1 month. Make it 5 weekends and make sure a break to go and play all day or something is scheduled before you finish your work.

If you have trouble getting disciplined, still schedule a rigorous calendar, but put your achieveable fun options up front. That way when you're working on things you don't like to do, or are less motivated to do, you can think about the fun times you just experienced while you're at your task, and you still have vegetation times to sleep or reflect on that somemore, or look forward to your next plans.

Your financial budget can be worked around your calendar, for when you need to outlay cash for some fun or a special project, for example.

OR

Your calendar can be worked around your budget if you're waiting for a pay bonus or specific savings amounts to accumulate.

If you still need to scream, do so in this thread:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH HHHH!!!!!!

Doesn't that feel better now?

Tonysmo
10-17-2003, 11:44 PM
So, I need to study for my CCNA. but I cannot, do not, and have not wanted to. I have a huge advantage by having a slow period at work - that lets me study - but then gee - when would I hang out here.. Cant justify studying at home - not with 4th grade homework - bath time - and Star Wars Galaxies.. where do I find the time to even schedule time??
soo.. Ill take your advice and..

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHH!!!!!!!!!!!

whew.. better..

stillakid
10-17-2003, 11:56 PM
I do alright with my schedule...until somebody posts something on SSG that I have to respond to. Damn them. :mad:

bobafrett
10-18-2003, 01:04 AM
I've had such a hard time sceduling my day. Unless I make a list the night before I pretty much end up bouncing between my computer attempting to find a space to put new toys, waiting for the mailman, contemplate actually getting out and putting in a couple of job applications, working out at the Y, laying in bed wondering what else I should be doing. At the end of the day, I sometimes feel I hhave wasted to much of the day, forgetting some of the accoplishments that I may have achieved. Now I have my 12 year old son living with me, which means no more staying up until 3, getting up around 9, pacing the apartment. I lack focus and my brother was diagnosed with adult A.D.D. (I think that's the initials) and his daughter also has it, and they both take medication. Even when I make a list, I don't always want to do some of the items on that list. The one thing I do is put on my dry erase calender every month what bills are due when, and try to pay them at least two weeks before they are due. I get used to a patterned lifestyle, and if it's not a part of my everyday pattern, unless I have it on a list, I won't remember to do it.

scruffziller
10-18-2003, 11:00 AM
I do alright with my schedule...until somebody posts something on SSG that I have to respond to. Damn them. :mad:
I am feeling the pain right alongside with you on that....:D

Tycho
10-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Watch this: I'm going to mess up Stillakid's whole week :D

STILLAKID, there was a good reason for Lucas to include Qui-Gon Jinn and Midichlorians!

Wow! Those things are great! I hope they make midichlorian action figures!

And like the pre-prequel ones could be medeival-midichlorians.

In the comics they could be marvel-midichlorians....

and...and....and..... :crazed:

- Just kidding Buddy! :p

stillakid
10-19-2003, 12:39 AM
Watch this: I'm going to mess up Stillakid's whole week :D

STILLAKID, there was a good reason for Lucas to include Qui-Gon Jinn and Midichlorians!

Wow! Those things are great! I hope they make midichlorian action figures!

And like the pre-prequel ones could be medeival-midichlorians.

In the comics they could be marvel-midichlorians....

and...and....and..... :crazed:

- Just kidding Buddy! :p

Aaahhhhh....No, I won't...caaannnn'tttt giiiiivvvvee iiiiinnnnn..... :dead:

Kidhuman
10-21-2003, 12:58 PM
You guys are crazy. I am unemployed soI dont have a schedule.

JetsAndHeels
10-21-2003, 01:07 PM
Kidhuman, in that case let me add something to your schedule:
Find new Star Wars figures and mail them across the state to JangoFett96.
LoL, just kidding buddy!!

El Chuxter
10-21-2003, 01:15 PM
I find it especially helpful to schedule bathroom breaks. Especially those involving explosive diarrhea.

TeeEye7
10-22-2003, 06:07 AM
Duck 'n' cover, it's Chux!