PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on some of the recent 2003 Saga figs

JediTricks
10-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Recently, I've had some good finds leading to filling almost every void in my 2003 Saga basic figure collection to date (only missing Dannl Faytonni now). While I've obviously missed some of the discussions on these figures - and probably these same issues because of that - I felt like discussing my thoughts on some of the finds I've had lately.

- Secret Ceremony Anakin: not a bad figure, but doesn't look much like Hayden still. Removable cloak looks awful, if this figure had been in the packaging not wearing it, I might have bought it a lot sooner. Figure seems really tall though. Ankles are a disappointment visually, they could easily have been hidden and still totally functional. Fig should have had universal-jointed hips.

- Library Droids: nice enough, but flimsy materials kinda suck, mismatched colors from limbs to body is another annoyance, and they both seem way too large to me.

- Yoda & Chian & Padawan 2pack: wish Yoda had a 2nd cloak that wasn't all flared out. Also, what's the deal with his legs? There's a big peg in the center keeping them together, I had already read about that, but on mine the legs are glued together as well! Good articulation on the arms, nice face sculpt. Also wish they hadn't used Yoda's shrimpy lightsaber for all 3 kiddies, it's too short for their hands. Oh, and the packaging was so overboard on this set that Chian's feet were bent forward so it couldn't stand up without help from a stand (turning the lower body sideways let it stand all night and the feet have started to return to correct angles but still). Helmets have terrible paint details, the sloppiest I've seen in this line maybe ever. Jempa's helmet has a hard time staying on.

- Snowtrooper: not what I consider an improvement over the old POTF2 version, this one is actually not even representing the same character/rank, this one is the snowtrooper commander seen in the AT-AT head, this is why it's missing kneepads, has a holster, a rank-pip cutaway on the chest, and the shoulder armor is upside-down; odd how they then got the head-skirt wrong, representing the grunt version instead of the commander version. Big gun is a rehash/slight redesign of the POTF2 deluxe one, I prefer that one to this. Semi-extreme pose kinda bugs me, and that ball-jointed ankle doesn't do much for my tastes.

- Wat Tambor: looks good, but it seems like they cheaped out on the paints. Less metalic paints & colored plastics used on the production model than the proto makes Wat look too dull; head is too dark green. Why did they go with these flat yellow eyes? Console is ok. What's with the universal-joint shoulders when the armor prohibits the "flapping" motion these joints have? Base curls up near the edge where Wat stands, that is a bummer. Great sculpting overall (except for the eyes) though.

- Coleman Trebor: good execution, fairly good paint, my lightsaber blade is bent at the little peg and was slightly glued into the hilt, knee and ankle articulation as well as one of the hips is awfully loose. A little more preposed than I'd like, lacking his cloak, and the tiny hole in his right hand looks very odd. I wish he had a universal-jointed neck, otherwise a solid figure. Base seems cheap and hollow, not something I intend to use.

- WA-7: the waitress droid looks cool, but the stand is a royal pain in the butt. Her articulation is pretty darn good from the waist up, though I can't tell if her lower-neck is a point of articulation or not. The figure came out of the tray bent at her "leg", I honestly can't tell if that's supposed to be on purpose or not. I had her standing all night on the stand but when I woke up, she was leaning to her right badly, she bent around a quarter inch overnight judging on where her left hand was. Paint is pretty good, her right eye is a little sloppy though. The wheel wants to come out of either or both sides of its housing where the pin meets the cup - between this inadequate designing and the softer materials she's made of, this is a bit of a disappointment. However, I removed the wheel and turned it around, turned her a quarter to her left, and so far it seems to be working better this way than how it came out of the package. Hasbro should have opted for a stand with a pin that goes into a hole in her back (there's even a hole available when you remove her headpack box from her back) or a u-shaped stand that held her from the middle. If the materials used here had been better and there was a pin for her wheel, this figure probably would have been 100% better; as it stands, a close-but-no-cigar figure.

- The Emperor: very shrimpy compared to Supreme Chancellor Palpatine - too bad that's not his worst feature, it would have been forgiveable by itself. Emp's worst feature is inmpressively evident right in the package, the hood is way too big and nearly a quarter-inch-thick at the top, it looks bad and there's just no reason for this, Hasbro could have had a very top-notch figure here if not for this major gaffe. The arms are universal-jointed at the shoulders and have rotating wrists, but the large hanging sleeves make the arms look a little odd when not hanging right next to the body. The hands are frail and decrepit-looking, but I cannot imagine how this figure is supposed to hold his cane with these things making this one of the few figures that I believe MUST keep the original rubber band holding the accessory to his body. The colors are pretty good, the face seems a little more "sad and pathetic" than I'd like but it's a great sculpt. I took the arms out of their sockets to remove the over-cloak and found that the back of the Emp's head is flat right behind his ears, this looks weirder than weird! I also found that the neck and upper torso are both universal-jointed, so when you count them with the visable articulation and the rotating ankles (he has no legs, so the feet just rotate), this is a pretty articulated figure. The cloak is the main downside to much of that articulation making it a double-hit on this figure. Finally, there's his lightning accessories which are so short they barely get past his fingers, they look ridiculous like the Emp is going to Force-tickle Luke to death or something - these should have been left behind or traded in on a stand with a hole for that cane to stand on its own so the figure can look like he's resting on it.

Turbowars
10-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Hey JT, it sounds like you should get your money back.:p I have an extra LT. if you want it. LMK

Billy_Dee_Binks
10-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Wow, you are really picky in some cases. You should look around on the shelfs paying more attention. I for myself am very picky with likenesses. Hasbro ruins some of the nicest sculps when they add the paint (especially on the eyes and eyebrows).
I found two very good painted SC Anakinīs that resemble Anakin quite good.

LTBasker
10-18-2003, 11:35 AM
I took the arms out of their sockets to remove the over-cloak

:eek: "That's because a droid doesn't pull out a person's arms when they lose. JT's are known to do that." :D

I finally was able to find a Palpy to open last night (also found my first Barriss after how many months? :dead: ) and I know what ya mean. He looks ok from the back hunched down on his cane, but that can go for alot of figures anyways. I don't think I'm gonna use his force lightning manacure set, so that's stayin in the package.

TheDarthVader
10-18-2003, 02:22 PM
I guess the figure I am most diappointed in are:

1. Yoda from Chian two pack
2. The research droids (although they look cool in the package)
3. R2-D2 Droid Factory flight
4. Lama Su (looks flimsy)

Those are the worst figures (IMO) for 2003. I have every figure so far except maul repack and the new bail organa & outlander club waves.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-18-2003, 07:58 PM
I'm actually quite excited about all these figs...they all look really good to me and my favorite of the AOTC ones is the waitress droid...she's spot on!!

I like all the cool backgrounds/stands they come with too, a far cry from POTF2

Likenesses still amaze me too on something so small, I find that hasbro does a pretty darn good job with likeness, except one complaint is the face on throne room duel luke, not a big fan of that face but I still like the figure!

And I saw all the new hoth wave that'll be coming out soon at ComicCon 2003 and they all look ROCKIN' in person!!

:)

Mad Slanted Powers
10-19-2003, 02:58 PM
I'm really liking most of the figures so far. I like the fact that many of them have stands and accessories that help them to fit in with other figures or scene packs.

Right off, one figure that I was kind of disappointed in is the Emperor. He looks kind of small, sad and pathetic rather than evil and powerful. I think the previous versions of him were better.

I don't always notice the details. Since I am somewhat of a completist, at least on the basic line of figures, I will buy the figure anyway because I never know if this is a figure I may not see again. I'm just happy to find a new figure, so I don't always look closely at the figure before I buy, and sometimes not even after I get it. So it wasn't until I read about the R2-D2 factory flight figure in the collectors database did I discover that his dome wasn't right.

Also, I mostly open only duplicates at this point. These are mostly army building characters. I just got an extra Tusken Raider Tatooine Camp Ambush. I was opening the figure and the head came off and I thought "I sure hope that is supposed to come off." So, with all those figures I haven't opened, I don't know how well they stand, hold weapons, how well they can be posed, or what special features they may have.

Some figures I really liked were the Geonosian War Room and Jedi Council 3-packs. Now I have the entire Jedi Council in some form or another. They should continue this idea with other scenes.

I also liked the 4-packs, especially the new droids. The Imperial Forces set gave us some army builders. The rest of the figures are mostly repacks, but since I will open all of these, it will give me a chance to display some more figures without opening the original carded figures. One thing I noticed in the Hoth set though, was that Leia almost looks like she is black.

Overall, I like the good mix of new characters that haven't been done before and older figures either repacked or redone. There are always new collectors starting the hobby and new kids discovering Star Wars that want figures to play with, so it is important to have a few rehashed figures from time to time. Even better if they can improve on an older figure.

JediTricks
10-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Hey JT, it sounds like you should get your money back.:p I have an extra LT. if you want it. LMKEven though I'm pretty broke right now, the only one I feel like trying to get my dough back on is that Snowtrooper, but it's such a pain in the behind to get money back on open figures these days that I'm not even gonna try.

Thanks for the offer on that fig, I'm too busy to meet up with ya to pick it up though, but I appreciate the offer.

Billy Dee, here in LA there is rarely a chance to pick & choose new figures, it's so rare to find 'em at all most of the time that when you find any, it's usually just one of any, so most of the time "beggars can't be choosers". I don't think the sculpt on Ani SC looks anything like Hayden, so on that one it really wouldn't make a difference which one I chose. ;) I should have been more careful about his hand though, the paint is sloppy.

I know what you're saying about the eyes & eyebrows, that's been one of my biggest complaints in this Saga line since day one. Some of the worst offenders have been dlx Ani and HD Ani, I have some real ugly versions of each. :D I did eventually find a better HD Ani, but since my first one came in the mail soon after he came out, I got stuck with a really bad face there.

Force lightning manicure, that's a good one! "The dark side of the Force - you're soaking in it right now!" "Gee Madge, I had no idea the dark side was so mild and gentle."
:D

TDV, I understand on the others (heck, my Lama Su came apart at the waist when I removed him from the tray, so he IS flimsy :D) but how come you're disappointed in that Yoda? I saw another one with wonky paint at the eyes, but besides that and the big robe and the mono-leg, what is a downer here for you?

Deoxy, I think Throne Room Luke's face looks like Harpo Marx. :crazed: I hate how his neck starts almost behind his head tho'.

Another 2003 figure I got somewhat recently is Tyranus. This figure is a surprising mix because it has a lame action feature (ugh, loose arm!) and a blast-effect and the saber hilt accessory has a terrible paint job and is the wrong shape, but the overall figure seems pretty good, a nice contrast to the first Dooku figure. Plus, the Force lightning doesn't sag as much as most of 'em (even if it is the wrong shape).

Deoxyribonucleic
10-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Plus, the Force lightning doesn't sag as much as most of 'em (even if it is the wrong shape).

Saggy Force Lightning, whooda thunk it??

The Empire just doesn't make things like they used to in the good ol' days!!

:p :crazed:

Kidhuman
10-20-2003, 11:03 AM
So far I have seen about 18 figures from 2003. I have purchased:

Hoth Han
SC Anakin
Mace Arena
Tyranus
Padme DF
Library Droids
Lama Su
Tusken TA
Imp. Officer
and Obi Acklay

I have passed on the RFT. Also saw Eeth Koth and Teebo. I didnt have money topurchgase them, but will get those two even though I have the POTJ ones. Also saw the Jango and Obi Kamino battle deluxes. I didnt like the way Jangos helmet looked. It didnt fit on his head all the way. They were all like that so I dont know if it was packed that way or not. It moght goall the way on, but if it doesnt it would be a rip off. Since I leave em carded, it wouldnt look right to me. Obi looked horrible. I know he was supposed to be rained on and have the "wet" look, but I didnt like it.

As for the library droids, I think they look awesome. As previously stated, I dont open them, so they look pretty good. I am glad that I dont open the packages because I would get irate at the flimsinbess of some figures and the errors on others. It probably would have led me todiscontinue collecting them. But allin all I am happy with the ones Ihave found so far.

Dark Marble
10-20-2003, 11:44 AM
I have found most of everything in the store, and I guess patience paid off for the most part. The figures that I am most disappointed in would be the flying R2 and The Emperor, but that isn't saying too much because I still like these figures. Maybe just because they are so God awful. I hated all the pictures I saw of the new emperor, but I made it a quest to go out and find it. And even though it is worse in person, I had to pick it up. I wouldn't have passed on this figure.

I guess I long for the days of the POTJ line. It seems that some of the newer figures don't even have the same quality of the figures that came out at the begining of the year. The figures seem "lighter" and "flimsier" than they ever have but for $4.99 I guess I can't expect absolute unquestioned perfection. Still...

plasticfetish
10-20-2003, 12:22 PM
I think you right on with the lot of it ...

- Secret Ceremony Anakin: not a bad figure, but doesn't look much like Hayden still. Removable cloak looks awful...
Yeah, I was on the fence with this one ... I still don't have it. My biggest problem is the crumpled up looking left hand. That and the beef jerky cloak.

- Library Droids: nice enough, but flimsy materials kinda suck...
I haven't opened a set yet because I can kind of tell that I'll be unhappy with the way they feel. They look nice enough on the card, but ...

- Yoda & Chian & Padawan 2pack: wish Yoda had a 2nd cloak that wasn't all flared out...
Yep, my Chian was a bit warped and leans forward a bit. Yoda is a pretty big flop as far as I'm concerned. I only bought this for Chian.

- Snowtrooper: not what I consider an improvement over the old POTF2 version...
Agreed. I've skipped it so far.

- Wat Tambor: looks good, but ... What's with the universal-joint shoulders when the armor prohibits the "flapping" motion these joints have?
You know ... I noticed that. But I like him, so ...

- Coleman Trebor: good execution...
All of your points are good. I'm still trying to decide about his one. It's a great looking figure, but it's a pretty flimsy bit of plastic. Mine was buttery soft when I opened it up, so I ended up putting it in the fridge to firm up. Seemed to help ... it's as if they pack some of these figures before the plastic has had a chance to fully cure. (Hey Hasbro! Plastics need Oxygen to competely cure.) His pose would be better (to me) if both knees and both ankles were articulated.

- WA-7: the waitress droid looks cool, but the stand is a royal pain in the butt.
(sigh) Yep.

- The Emperor:
Just saw this one again at Target. Sheesh ...
In the immortal words of Lurch from the Adamms Family ... "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuh."

I think in general, that the quality of these figures are better than previous Saga figures, but they still exhibit most of the major flaws. Soft plastics and somewhat chintzy construction still plague this line to a certain degree, but overall I've liked what I've found.

JEDIpartner
10-20-2003, 12:53 PM
I've not had the issues with WA-7 that so many of you seem to be having. That back peg fits snugly between the wheel and the wheel guard on mine. She's been standing for 4 days without any falling over or warping.

JediTricks
10-21-2003, 12:03 AM
Saggy Force Lightning, whooda thunk it??

The Empire just doesn't make things like they used to in the good ol' days!!I feel bad for some of these saggy blast effects from the Saga line, their plastic could have been used for a real accessory, but intsead it was turned into melting candy that you can't even eat. :D

Ugh, Kidhuman, thanks for reminding me that I also bought Obi-Wan Acklay a few months ago, that figure is a dog which I hide on the unseen side of my Rep Gunship. :D The rest of the figs on your list are in my collection as well, although I haven't bought any repacks so no Imp Officer (I already have the POTJ version). There's one great thing about not being a completist anymore, don't have to buy repacks. I know what you and others here are saying about the library droids carded, they really do look way better on the card than off, and I say that about very few figures.

Where did you see dlx Jango & Obi-Wan? I've been searching for them pretty much all year. I believe dlx Jango's helmet and head are the same as the Jango Kamino Escape, which might explain why it looks funky.

SC Ani...
Yeah, I was on the fence with this one ... I still don't have it. My biggest problem is the crumpled up looking left hand. That and the beef jerky cloak.I didn't mind the sculpt on the left hand because I am a sucker for "Force poses" most of the time, but I can totally see why that would be a bummer. This is a figure that cries out for a 2nd set of forearms.

I haven't opened a set yet because I can kind of tell that I'll be unhappy with the way they feel. They look nice enough on the card, but ...I open nearly EVERYTHING and even I think these 2 should probably stay on card. Continue the illusion. ;) Too bad they're not a little more different, their heads are interchangeable, that would have MADE this set if they could be mixed-n-matched.

Yep, my Chian was a bit warped and leans forward a bit. Yoda is a pretty big flop as far as I'm concerned. I only bought this for Chian.My Chian has straightened out almost all the way in the past few days, it stands now without monkeying but still a little wobbly.

Wat Tambor...
You know ... I noticed that. But I like him, so ...I know what you mean, it's easy to forgive this figure of its failures.

Coleman Trebor...
All of your points are good. I'm still trying to decide about his one. It's a great looking figure, but it's a pretty flimsy bit of plastic. Mine was buttery soft when I opened it up, so I ended up putting it in the fridge to firm up. Seemed to help ... it's as if they pack some of these figures before the plastic has had a chance to fully cure. (Hey Hasbro! Plastics need Oxygen to competely cure.) His pose would be better (to me) if both knees and both ankles were articulated.Mine isn't flimsy or soft except at the ankle & knee joints and left hip, the rest is fairly normal for Saga figs. My thinking is that they run a certain batch with a weak mix on the materials and never find out because it's only a small run or something. I totally agree about the knee and ankle articulation needing to be doubled, it'd be nice if his hands could meet too.

I found out why mine has a bent saber, it's not the blade, the hole was drilled into mine at an angle!!! What kind of bunk is that?!? I hope this is a fluke, if everybody's were like this it'd totally bite.

I think in general, that the quality of these figures are better than previous Saga figures, but they still exhibit most of the major flaws. Soft plastics and somewhat chintzy construction still plague this line to a certain degree, but overall I've liked what I've found.I agree, no surprise that most of these are Col 2 figures. But when the day is done, these ain't POTJ-quality action figures and that's a shame, hopefully 2004 will finally get it right. It's only taken 2 years for Hasbro to correct the massive screw-ups that happened when they abandoned the quality of the POTJ line.

JP, ever since I turned WA-7's wheel around and adjusted her pose, I've had no problems (although it looks like the right "cup" around the wheel post may be going soon), but I have no faith in this staying so dandy, so I'm working on an alternate stand now.

fishyfett
10-21-2003, 01:07 AM
Lips, baby, lips. Hasbro needs to put some pouters on Anakin's kisser. I mean, look at all the Ani figures we have so far. None of them looked like Hayden. I know its not easy to sculpt the actors faces to their likenesses. Hell, even Real Scan faces sometimes don't end up looking like the real person. But come on, I'm sure it can be done. Look at the other characters. At least theyre portrayed dead-on. Look at CW Ani. Doesn't look anything like him. Looks more like Lewis from the Drew Carey show w/ a braid. Same w/ all the other Ani figures. Please Hasbro, use the Force if you have to, but please, get Ani's face done correctly. Put some lips into it, not constipated looks. :D

plasticfetish
10-21-2003, 01:08 AM
My thinking is that they run a certain batch with a weak mix on the materials and never find out because it's only a small run or something.
Yep. That's probable ... and I've kind of imagined a lot of the figures that I've been finding, as having been sitting around in the back of a trailer somewhere in the heat getting all melty. I bought Coleman Trebor, Yoda w/ Chian and Aayla Secura (with the oddly large lightsaber handle) at the same time ... and they were all pretty soft. This global warming is really getting to be a problem when it effects the toys.

I found out why mine has a bent saber, it's not the blade, the hole was drilled into mine at an angle!!! What kind of bunk is that?!? I hope this is a fluke, if everybody's were like this it'd totally bite.
No, mines like that also. I was just assuming (pretending) that it was done that way on purpose.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Ok, I must've gotten the "good plastic batch" Wat Tambor because he stands great and he's not "soft" like some of the other figs I have, plus his lightsaber is straight on in the socket...I got mine from Kebco, they must've gotten a different shipment than what's going retail perhaps?? I dunno, it's just weird...these kinds of inconsistencies.

Look at it this way, if anyone ever commits a crime using Wat Tambor, at least the evidence can be distinguished from one batch to the other... "Uh, as you will see Mr. CSI, I have a soft plastic version of Wat Tambor with a crooked lightsaber hole drilled in it and your evidence shows that this version was hard plastic with a straight lightsaber so there's NO WAY I could have poked Timmy's brains out with his soft pointy head!"

:crazed:

fishyfett
10-21-2003, 11:51 AM
Ok, I must've gotten the "good plastic batch" Wat Tambor because he stands great and he's not "soft" like some of the other figs I have, plus his lightsaber is straight on in the socket...I got mine from Kebco, they must've gotten a different shipment than what's going retail perhaps?? I dunno, it's just weird...these kinds of inconsistencies.

Look at it this way, if anyone ever commits a crime using Wat Tambor, at least the evidence can be distinguished from one batch to the other... "Uh, as you will see Mr. CSI, I have a soft plastic version of Wat Tambor with a crooked lightsaber hole drilled in it and your evidence shows that this version was hard plastic with a straight lightsaber so there's NO WAY I could have poked Timmy's brains out with his soft pointy head!"

:crazed: You're exactly right about these inconsistencies being weird. Cause I don't remember Wat Tambor having a lightsaber, crooked or otherwise. Hmmmm...maybe its just mine. Perhaps I've gotten the "all too-weird plastic batch". Hmmmmm???? :confused:

plasticfetish
10-21-2003, 12:49 PM
You're exactly right about these inconsistencies being weird. Cause I don't remember Wat Tambor having a lightsaber...
Ohhh, I knew what she meant ... Coleman Trebor ... Wat Tambor ... Abe Lincoln ... it's all the same.

JediTricks
10-21-2003, 11:03 PM
Right after my comment about WA-7 standing, she fell - natch. So I've thrown in the towel on her standing as Hasbro indended and have put the display stand on its side - so it comes up to the figure's torso - and have WA-7 put her arm around the side to keep her upright. Pretty lame, but better than leaving her laying down where she gets all warped out of shape.

I wonder what it is about prequel Anakins that makes Hasbro screw up so badly, they never really got Jake Lloyd's likeness correct and I pity these poor Hayden-based figures that look nothing like him.

LTBasker
10-21-2003, 11:38 PM
they never really got Jake Lloyd's likeness correct

That's more of a blessing. ;) Hasbro just doesn't seem to pay attention. They really really seem to have alot of effort lacking in places such as the factories that paint these figures.

It's either they can't handle the way the figure is sculpted and that's how it's screwed up, their quality control is seriously cutback on, or they're just that blind. I've seen four Yoda with Chian 2 packs in total, one of them was one that was bought months ago at a mall. The other three were seen this month, and they all have the exact same paintjobs, mostly noticeable is the eyes. They all have o_O sort of eyes, like they forgot to paint the eye lid on the left one. That's not a bad batch, that's pathetic quality check.

Hasbro. You're supposed to be making Yoda, not a Yoda version of Undergrads' Gimpy.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-22-2003, 03:21 PM
Ohhh, I knew what she meant ... Coleman Trebor ... Wat Tambor ... Abe Lincoln ... it's all the same.

Woops, yeah, Coleman Trebor ...I can't get those two names straight for the figures for some reason??
:confused:

Thanks PF ;)

fishyfett
10-23-2003, 12:26 AM
Ohhh, I knew what she meant ... Coleman Trebor ... Wat Tambor ... Abe Lincoln ... it's all the same. Abe Lincoln w/ a lightsaber??? Now I'm really missing the really weird assortments!!! :D

plasticfetish
10-23-2003, 01:44 AM
Yeah, he's pretty awesome ... he comes with a stovepipe hat, a little scene piece from his speech at Gettysburg, a green lightsaber, some Force Lightning and best of all ... he has 32 points of articulation.

JediTricks
10-23-2003, 02:47 AM
Yeah, he's pretty awesome ... he comes with a stovepipe hat, a little scene piece from his speech at Gettysburg, a green lightsaber, some Force Lightning and best of all ... he has 32 points of articulation.and a head attached to his torso via magnets. :D

Basker, I don't think the problems with prequel Anakins have been factory-end issues, look at the prototypes, they simply look nothing like the character no matter who is playing him. Granted, the crummy paintjobs only serve to make this much much worse, but no matter how much makeup you put on a turd, it's still gonna make a lousy prom date. ;)

As for Yoda/Chian, my Chian has no paint problems I can see, but I remember picking between the 2 Yodas because one did have a larger eye than the other. The one I got has perfectly-proportioned eyes, but the right one is a little wall-eyed. Luckily, it's based on a puppet that had the left eye constantly malfunction in a similar fashion. :D