PDA

View Full Version : destroyer droids shields

Darth Jax
10-20-2003, 12:11 AM
the whole superiority of droidekas is their shield generators. when we see them attack the jedi at the beginning they bring up their shields. when rolling into the hangar at the start of the final battle, yep shields up. however, once they begin attacking the gungans and later while surrounding the queen - no shields. did their controllers forget they had them, or had lucas blown his bg budget by that time?

Beast
10-20-2003, 12:28 AM
We debated this a while back, and I think it's the fact that they have to be on stable terrain is a part of it. Plus if they work like the gungan energy shields, they would have been useless anyway. Note that the gungans were fighting with physical weapons. Not energy weapons.

So the same way that the droid army could just walk right through the shields, meant the Droidika Shields would have been pretty much useless. So better to reserve power for movement and firing, then a shield that would have had nearly zero impact on the field. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Jax
10-20-2003, 07:59 PM
thanks for your input JJB. once again the search function seems to have mislead me to believe this hadn't been discussed previously.

stillakid
10-21-2003, 08:32 AM
and I think it's the fact that they have to be on stable terrain is a part of it.
Says who?

Plus if they work like the gungan energy shields, they would have been useless anyway. Note that the gungans were fighting with physical weapons. Not energy weapons.
What were those glowing blue ball things then?

dr_evazan22
10-21-2003, 09:11 AM
For some reason I was under the impression that the droidekas weren't able to shoot thru their own shields. That the shield was down for a moment when the droid was firing, then activated again. A la the energy shield over Hoth that had to be lowered for the ion cannon.

Beast
10-21-2003, 11:50 AM
What were those glowing blue ball things then?
While that was an energy weapon, it was contained inside a physical object. So again, we're dealing with a physical attack, which would bypass energy shields. Once again making the DD's shields a useless energy expenditure on the battle field. :)

For some reason I was under the impression that the droidekas weren't able to shoot thru their own shields. That the shield was down for a moment when the droid was firing, then activated again. A la the energy shield over Hoth that had to be lowered for the ion cannon.
Actually they don't drop the shields, but they extend the guns through the shield and fire. Watch the first opening battle between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon and the DD's on the Neimodian Battleship. You can see the tips of the weapon arms move through the shields, fire, and then pull back into the shield. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Jax
10-21-2003, 11:42 PM
i too thought the shields flicked off for a moment while they shot, then came back on.

i can understand your argument that a physical object would pass through the shields while an energy weapon would be absorbed by the shield. still doesn't explain why they don't power up shields while surrounding the queen and her party who are armed with blasters. one quick shot and no more droideka.

have to watch AOTC and see if the droideka powers up his shield when attacking obi on geonosis, my recollection is yes

stillakid
10-22-2003, 09:04 AM
While that was an energy weapon, it was contained inside a physical object. So again, we're dealing with a physical attack, which would bypass energy shields. Once again making the DD's shields a useless energy expenditure on the battle field. :)

Alright, I'll bite. What solid object? Reynold's Plastic Wrap?

Beast
10-22-2003, 09:24 AM
Alright, I'll bite. What solid object? Reynold's Plastic Wrap?*Has Stillakid's eyes checked* :crazed: :D

You know, the boomers. The various sized globes filled with energy that the gungans were using on the field. The ones that were being launched by capapult at the droids. The same solid physical objects that chase Jar Jar down the hill during the retreat. And the small boomer that Captain Tarpals throws Jar Jar when he's hanging on for dear life on the turret of the AAT. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
10-22-2003, 10:31 PM
*Has Stillakid's eyes checked* :crazed: :D

You know, the boomers. The various sized globes filled with energy that the gungans were using on the field. The ones that were being launched by capapult at the droids. The same solid physical objects that chase Jar Jar down the hill during the retreat. And the small boomer that Captain Tarpals throws Jar Jar when he's hanging on for dear life on the turret of the AAT. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I'm not a frickin' moron, I know what you're talking about. Those blue balls o' energy they were tossing around all willy nilly. Do you ever really read what other people write or just skim the edges?

So, yeah, those blue balls o' energy have a solid yet transparent chocolate coating which only splits apart like a water balloon when dropped? :rolleyes:

Beast
10-22-2003, 10:46 PM
I'm not a frickin' moron, I know what you're talking about. Those blue balls o' energy they were tossing around all willy nilly. Do you ever really read what other people write or just skim the edges?

So, yeah, those blue balls o' energy have a solid yet transparent chocolate coating which only splits apart like a water balloon when dropped? :rolleyes:
Hey, don't jump up my arse over this. You asked a question, one that should have been obvious from someone that has 'seen' the movie. And I mean without wanting to nitpick it death. You asked a question in a sarcastic manner about my post, and I gave you the same in reply. It's not my fault you can dish it and not take it. So step back, and if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander. And they don't seem to split apart like a waterballon when dropped. They seem to fall off a cart without breaking until they run into droids or tanks. And can even be juggled by Jar Jar while on the AAT turret. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
10-22-2003, 11:14 PM
I think Star Wars shields are like this: They can't deflect physical objects such as biological or alloy materials but they can repell/absorb energy matter that works off of frequencies/harmonics. This explain why Imperial forces couldn't fire on Hoth, but they could land there. They likely found a weak part in the shields that allowed landing troops to get through with the AT-ATs.

Now onto the Droidekas, it is obvious they can walk and such with their shields, but the only evidence we have seen of this has been on the Theed hangar floors (smooth) and the TF ship floors (also smooth). So obviously they could have trouble making a completely stable shield when moving against an uneven surface. (Probably like completing a circuit).

As for their guns, no they never dropped them to fire, this is obvious if you watch.

The Gungan energy balls, I think JJB's got a good idea. It could be just like a paintball where the paint is sealed inside a latex coating. The coating on the boomers could be a physical barrier that the energy destroys when a certain force is applied to it. Just like a paintball, you can handle it, but when a certain physical stress limit is applied, it will burst.

stillakid
10-23-2003, 01:58 AM
You asked a question in a sarcastic manner about my post, and I gave you the same in reply.

Hardly. Mine was an honest question: What is this "solid" substance which can contain sparkly blue energy yet can break apart at only the most convenient time? Your reply was facetious at best, personal ridicule at worst. Don't have an answer to the question? Then don't be afraid to say so, but don't hide ignorance behind personal attack trying in vain to make others look stupid. (lest I remind you of the time you conveniently "slipped" away from a discussion in which you were entirely incorrect http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16613 )

"I don't know, let me look it up and get back to you" is a perfectly acceptable response to just about any question. Try to work it into your vocabulary. Also, per the linked thread above, "I didn't know that, thank you for taking the time to help me understand better than I did before" is a socially accepted response to others as well.

Beast
10-23-2003, 02:09 AM
Don't be such an arse Stillakid. I did answer your question. You asked what those glowing blue ball things were. I answered you. And then you come back with sarcastic comments. You're the one who always wants on screen info to prove something. Get off your butt, toss in your E1 DVD, and watch the scene. Unless you seriously want to suggest that this wasn't being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Alright, I'll bite. What solid object? Reynold's Plastic Wrap?
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
10-23-2003, 02:15 AM
I always thought of the boomers as sorts of "cannonballs" that will explode upon hard enough impact. Bouncing out of a cart isn't traumatizing enough - but when they bang into metal droids or are launched from a catapult and then hit the ground, well that's when they blow.

I think a water balloon analogy is along the same line, it's just that water balloons would give an impression of being more fragile than the boomers really are.

:)

Beast
10-23-2003, 02:41 AM
From StarWars.Com:

Gungans employed a variety of muscle-powered weaponry to deliver a specialized payload to their targets. Using the plasmic energy found deep in Naboo's porous crust, the Gungans have crafted a spherical grenade-type weapon they call a "booma," or boomer. These grenades are either thrown by hand, sling, or catapult. When they hit their target, their protective shells burst, releasing the liquid-like plasma and a powerful electric shock.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
10-23-2003, 11:47 AM
From StarWars.Com:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well geez, that wasn't so hard now was it?

Now watch carefully how this is done: Thank you, Mr. Binks, for that information. I wasn't aware of it before and am grateful for the time you spent researching it for me and presenting it here for us all to share. I appreciate your efforts. :)

kool-aid killer
10-23-2003, 04:36 PM
In a book ive got called the Essential Guide to Star Wars vehicles (or something like that) it goes into detail concerning shields. Basically their are two types: particle shields and ray/energy shields. The particle shield protects against physical objects such as a rock thrown but in order for a ship to fire with a particle shield it must lower it. The other type of shield protects only against blaster fire. I believe the destroyer droids only have the energy shield so it woudnt prevent any Gungan boomers from damaging them.