PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant Goes to Trial

SirSteve
10-20-2003, 06:25 PM
Just announced.... Kobe Bryant will indeed have to stand trial...

Darth Jax
10-20-2003, 08:27 PM
i don't recall if its aspen or vail, but one of the ritzy mountain towns announced they would NOT be covering the case. they'd report the verdict when it comes in, but otherwise won't be reporting on it. personally thats all the info i care to know. already more details have come out than i need to hear about. i watch sportscenter every morning while getting ready for work. i want to hear about sports and scores from the night before, not 30 minutes of way-too-intimate details from the opening hearings.

Kidhuman
10-20-2003, 08:27 PM
I for one am glad to see they didnt let him off because of his celebrity Status. If he did do it, he deserves tofry. If not, then he deserves to be free. I hope that he doesnt get off because he is famous.

bobafrett
10-20-2003, 11:39 PM
If the "glove" doesn't fit, you must acquit!

2-1B
10-21-2003, 03:06 AM
I think these are trumped up charges and while some people worry about Kobe getting off because of his celebrity, I worry about him getting the shaft because of his celebrity. These guys are easy targets and aside from the obvious shame of cheating on his wife, it still remains that these guys will always be more attractive targets to someone looking to make waves.

Of course, if he is guilty then he should do time because rape is a terrible, terrible, thing but from what I've seen of the prosecution's case it's pretty shaky. I totally understand that a real victim would not want to come forward right away out of fear/shame/etc. and I respect that. However, if she was in fact going around bragging about . . . certain things to brag about . . . then that is rather telling I think.

Also, even if Kobe IS innocent then he's already ruined. However, his accuser didn't even have to show up in court to make the accusation. That doesn't seem right to me. Or fair.

And what is the deal with that idiot who offered to kill the accuser? Disgusting.

I think Kobe is guilty of bad decisions and betraying his wife but that's much different than being guilty of a crime.

I don't know for certain that he's innocent but I'm leaning toward it.

Jedi Tech
10-21-2003, 03:15 AM
I'll agree with what you are saying Caesar, without saying anything myself. :D

Tonysmo
10-21-2003, 04:28 AM
whats surprising to me - is that the sentence.. the maximum sentence.. is life.
now, I agree that rape is horrible. and if guilty, he should do time, and hopefully endure some of the same. but life? I hate to say it - but with OJ out on a golf course. if Kobe gets life - Im gonna yell shenanigans!!!

now - heres a question I have for you - the Hockey guys that had the accident. Car crash killed one player, the player driving ( refresher )
MSNBC reports the sad news:

All-Star Dany Heatley will face more serious charges after the death of Atlanta Thrashers teammate Dan Snyder, who never regained consciousness following a horrific car crash.

SNYDER DIED SUNDAY night at Grady Hospital, the team said, six days after sustaining massive brain injuries in the wreck. He was 25.

Police said Heatley was driving his Ferrari at about 80 mph on a narrow two-lane road last Monday night when he lost control, spun off the road and smashed into a brick and wrought iron fence.

Snyder was a passenger. The car split in half, throwing both players into the road.

Heatley already was facing several charges, including a felony. The charges will be upgraded, Sgt. John Quigley, an Atlanta Police Department spokesman, said Sunday night. He said investigators will meet with the district attorneys office Monday.

It would likely be vehicular homicide first degree, Quigley said.

ok.. my question is. while this is certainly not a good thing - he is facing vehicular homicide first degree - for unintentionally killing his friend. Something he will have to live with for the rest of his life. Snyder knew he was getting into this car, thus he knew the possibilities that something could go wrong, if indeed the was some sort of substance abuse going on.. it was his choice to get in that car..

now.. flash back to a few years ago - the Rams Leonard Little
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/superbowl/globe_stories/013002/a_lot_on_little_s_mind+.shtml

he kills a woman while driving intoxicated, and uh... he is STILL playing football.

"What right indeed? That is what a goodly number of people in St. Louis felt and certainly what the family of his victim felt when a court ordered him to serve 1,000 hours of community service but no jail time for an accident Little concedes really was no accident at all because of the decisions he made that night."

is this fair??? GAH!! I just dont understand.. this woman didnt choose to hang out with this man - she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.. and he got NO JAIL TIME?!?!??!

I seriously hate the judicial system sometimes..

2-1B
10-21-2003, 05:29 AM
Little belongs in jail -- no argument there from me. :mad:

Heatly should do time, too.

Exhaust Port
10-21-2003, 05:33 AM
I wouldn't worry about Kobe getting harsher treatment because he's a celebrity. I can't think of one instance where they were.

scruffziller
10-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Wow Steve it has been a while since you put up a thread, and a controversial one at that!!:D

Have they caught the other 2 guys that are supposedly guilty too.:rolleyes:

El Chuxter
10-21-2003, 10:59 AM
If he did do it, he deserves tofry. If not, then he deserves to be free.

Amen to that! I think money and celebrity shouldn't influence the jury--one way or the other. No matter what conclusions we've reached as individuals, only two people know what went on, and it's now up to twelve (angry men?) to figure out who's not telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I am a little mad, though. I used to use the following phrase as an abrupt change of subject (generally when a conversation veered toward surgery, feminine hygeine products, etc): "How about those Lakers? They're basketball, right?" Whereas now I have to say "They're rapists, right?" :crazed:

Maybe this will begin the purging of all basketball players. And let's begin with those Charlotte New Orleans Hornets. You want your bigger collosseum? Let 'em fry! Stinkin' traitors!! :mad:

2-1B
10-21-2003, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't worry about Kobe getting harsher treatment because he's a celebrity. I can't think of one instance where they were.

Look no further. Kobe is already ruined and he hasn't even faced trial yet. :rolleyes:

InsaneJediGirl
10-21-2003, 08:32 PM
Also, even if Kobe IS innocent then he's already ruined. However, his accuser didn't even have to show up in court to make the accusation. That doesn't seem right to me. Or fair.

I totally agree Cae.Rape is an awful crime,and it should be severly punished.However,why doesnt this person testify?They could say she doesnt want to be reconigzed.If thats the case,slap up a screen and a voice changer and get on with it.Makes no sense to me.

I find it hard to believe if he is guilty,that he would get life.Famous or not,most cases I've read about/watched on CourtTV normally end up in a minimal sentence(Few years or so).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-21-2003, 09:03 PM
If the "glove" doesn't fit, you must acquit!

If Chewbacca isn't from the planet Endor, you must acquit!!

Edit: Yeah, you're right Bobafrett!!! I thought it was Endor, but figured it could be the other one too. hehehehehehehe Cheers!! :D

bobafrett
10-22-2003, 12:22 AM
South Park rules! I thought it was Endor in that episode, but my memory is a bit foggy, oh my!

I certainly wouldn't want to be in Kobe's shoes. I mean if he is innocent, and this girl is just a gold digger looking to make money by accusing him of such a terrible crime, and he is found guilty and sent to prison for one night of what he thought was consensual sex, could destroy him. Not that having his name dragged through the dirt and the fact that he cheated on his wife wasn't bad enough. But if he truely is guilty like another sports figure who murdered but got off light, then I too believe that the justice system is screwed up. I'm still upset that the former governer here in Illinois let all the inmates on death row off for just life in prison, when there are a few who deserve to die.

jjreason
10-23-2003, 06:43 PM
The maximum sentence for rape in the US is life? That's pretty stiff. For the prosecution to ask for a sentence like that however, they'd have to be able to establish that this crime was 1) really heinous in nature (weapons, violence, threats, repeated nature, etc) as well as 2) planned in advance.

The stiffest penalties are reserved for those cases that are egregious enough in nature to shock the general public for more reasons that just the sensationalism of who's involved.

No matter what happens, his name has been associated with the crime. Everyone will remember the allegation, but the media will scramble away on to somehting else as soon as he's acquitted (should the case go that way). There won't be 1% the amount of time spent on repairing his image as there has been defaming it every day for the past 3 months. Celebrity ain't all it's cracked up to be, that's for sure.