PDA

View Full Version : Elan is sleezy

Jaff
10-20-2003, 07:08 PM
After much anticipation for the Bail Organa wave I just recieved three of the new figures (of which I will also review), and one of the figures was Elan Sleazebaggano. I was really anxious for this fig, but after looking at him I was a bit disappointed. One look at his "beard" and you will know why. I tried to take some pictures with my Logitech Clicksmart camera but it does not take any closeups without massive blurs.

The figure itself is kind of nice but the face and his "gun" hand just ruins the very nice clothing detail and plastic cape. The index finger on Elan's right hand juts out to hold a trigger on his gun which would be fairly easy to dismiss, but you just can't ignore that head. The head itself really does not look like the character in the movie at all!. A tan paintjob around the jaw is supposed to represent a beard, but does not cut it. Also the neck is quite long.

The accessoreis consist of a cup, spice sticks, and a bar piece, and Elan's gun is nothing more than a black painted Bespin Security Guard pistol. In the end it's just a dissapointment

Turbowars
10-20-2003, 07:46 PM
After much anticipation for the Bail Organa wave I just recieved three of the new figures (of which I will also review), and one of the figures was Elan Sleazebaggano. I was really anxious for this fig, but after looking at him I was a bit disappointed. One look at his "beard" and you will know why. I tried to take some pictures with my Logitech Clicksmart camera but it does not take any closeups without massive blurs.

The figure itself is kind of nice but the face and his "gun" hand just ruins the very nice clothing detail and plastic cape. The index finger on Elan's right hand juts out to hold a trigger on his gun which would be fairly easy to dismiss, but you just can't ignore that head. The head itself really does not look like the character in the movie at all!. A tan paintjob around the jaw is supposed to represent a beard, but does not cut it. Also the neck is quite long.

The accessoreis consist of a cup, spice sticks, and a bar piece, and Elan's gun is nothing more than a black painted Bespin Security Guard pistol. In the end it's just a dissapointmentDamn, that's all I'm hearing from this Wave.

plasticfetish
10-21-2003, 01:30 AM
In the end it's just a dissapointment
Yep, too bad. I wasn't sure that I was going to bother with this one anyway ... but now I suppose it'll be an even lesser priority.

Isn't it weird that they gave him a gun anyway? (Not to mention that they had to sculpt his hand to fit it.) Ooooh, I just looked at the pics in the DB and now I know what you're saying about the beard. He looks like Radar from Mash in that photo.

And here's a crazy question ... does the figure have ears? I thought that they CG'd them out for the movie. Obviously the sculptor used the photo on the back for reference and not the "without ears" photo on the front, that's from the movie.

Oh well, you win some ... you lose some.

Jaff
10-21-2003, 07:01 AM
Yep, too bad. I wasn't sure that I was going to bother with this one anyway ... but now I suppose it'll be an even lesser priority.

Isn't it weird that they gave him a gun anyway? (Not to mention that they had to sculpt his hand to fit it.) Ooooh, I just looked at the pics in the DB and now I know what you're saying about the beard. He looks like Radar from Mash in that photo.

And here's a crazy question ... does the figure have ears? I thought that they CG'd them out for the movie. Obviously the sculptor used the photo on the back for reference and not the "without ears" photo on the front, that's from the movie.

Oh well, you win some ... you lose some.

actually Elan has very detailed human ears!

Kidhuman
10-21-2003, 09:35 AM
Man,I was looking foward to this figure. I guess I will decide when I see it, if I see it. Thanks Jaff for the review.

plasticfetish
11-24-2003, 11:50 AM
actually Elan has very detailed human ears!
So... it only took a little while for this figure to turn up near me. :rolleyes:
Interestingly enough, my Elan has no ears. So, it looks like they've changed this figure. Anyone else have the Elan with no ears? Anyone have the Elan with ears? Anyone have Elan at all?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-26-2003, 06:43 PM
I got Elan with ears today. I like him. Do you have a camera to take pics of the earless version?

plasticfetish
11-26-2003, 08:33 PM
Do you have a camera to take pics of the earless version?
Why ... as a matter of fact ...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Well, that's interesting. I'll keep mine the way it is though.

My Anakin (Hangar Duel)'s blue saber broke (I got another one at Kay-Bee for customizing and gave the good saber to my old Ani), so I am now using the little peg as a death stick for Elan to hold between his pointer and middle fingers. It actually looks very good. :)

Turbowars
11-27-2003, 09:35 PM
Why ... as a matter of fact ...How about a photo of the one with ears?

plasticfetish
11-28-2003, 12:44 AM
How about a photo of the one with ears?
I wish. This is the only one that I've seen yet ... which is kind of weird.
I want to open one and keep the other one carded. I just don't know which is going to be the oddball out of the two. I'd assume that the version with ears is going to be replaced and outnumbered by the no-ear version. But who know? (I'll probably open this one though.)

The "death sticks" thing is also weird. I mean ... we all know what they are, so what's up with Hasbro putting some odd little bunch of test tubes in there to represent a "death stick container?"

Hellboy
11-28-2003, 03:22 PM
I think this figure is pretty nice. I've found both the antenna only and the eared Elan but only opened the correct, no ears version. As with a few of the figures in this wave finding a good paint application is the big challenge here. The one I found has a very light brown paint app. around the jaw so it doesn't look as bad as some of the others I saw but I know what you guys mean about it looking odd. I like the detail in his outfit and the fact that he has a pistol isn't a big deal to me since we have no idea if he was carrying one in the film but I'd assume he'd pack heat if he's a drug dealer. The accessories are cool even if the 2 bar pieces (the other being w/ Obi-Wan) don't exactly fit together snugg, some tape may be required to make it look just right. Overall I think the figure is a pretty accurate representation of the character we saw in the film and since he was only in one scene I'm just happy Hasbro decided to make him.

Grade: B

JediTricks
12-08-2003, 01:25 AM
I finally found this figure today. It's the earless version, which is fine by me. Mine has beard paint on only the left half of his face, that sucks so damn much! The face sculpt is kinda chinless, looks more like Steve Buscemi than Elan. The coat doesn't match the sleeves which are very matte while the separate piece of coat is very shiny, this should have had a paint overspray. I was surprised that the vest is sculpted in a way that totally restricts the waist rotation, odd choice. I really dislike the arm and hand poses here, he can't even hold his cup level unless it's above his head. Strangely, it seems like the legs are sculpted just beneath the hip articulation in such a way that the legs are SUPPOSED to be in a sitting position, but no knee articulation makes that look pretty odd. The accessories are nice enough, I guess, though neither the cup nor the deathstick holder want to stand up on the bar at all. I guess the figure is ok, I like that his eyes have bags under them and are slightly reddened around the edges, makes him look like a sleazy lowlife drug dealer. If I had to grade this figure, it'd be a 3/5 on a good day and a 2.5/5 on a bad one. ;)

plasticfetish
12-08-2003, 12:15 PM
...looks more like Steve Buscemi than Elan.
That's pretty funny, I was thinking Don Knotts ... but there really isn't much difference.

I spotted 2 more "no-ears" Elans today, so I'm assuming that the version with ears is gone. And Hellboy's right, finding one with good paint is kind of hit and miss. Mine is really good, but the 2 I saw this morning were kind of sloppy.

Just opened mine though ... nice figure with nice detail, but he does have to lean against the bar to stand up.

JediTricks
12-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Just opened mine though ... nice figure with nice detail, but he does have to lean against the bar to stand up.Mine stands just fine.