PDA

View Full Version : Padme can make you loose your head!

Jaff
10-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Padme Amidala Lars Homestead comes with her cape, and a unnessesary stand. The figre stands with ease, and if pushed she will wobble a bit because her feet and solid dress form a firm base. I will say that the base makes you a little curious because it has two connection points for other bases! Could these connections be for a new 3PO, Anakin, or one of the Lars family members. Only time will tell! The paintjob and sculpt are wonderful. The outfit she wears is intensly detailed and can impress without effort. Surprising enough her legs are articulated even though they can't move far. Her legs and dress are sculpted as one, and are very similar to a vintage obi-wan kenobi figure. Although her cape looks very cool I would suggest that you are careful placing her in. Padme's head pops off instantly when you try to take her out of the cape. The cape is very tight around her head, and you'll need to pry the head out to get it back. When she has the cape on she does not look as good as she should, so I fully intend to display her without the hugging cape.

I will admit that I like this figure, even though th face of the figure does not look like Natalie Portman. The head looks like it was sculpted for a different toy line, and at an angle the head seems much larger than it should be.

Turbowars
10-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Padme Amidala Lars Homestead comes with her cape, and a unnessesary stand. The figre stands with ease, and if pushed she will wobble a bit because her feet and solid dress form a firm base. I will say that the base makes you a little curious because it has two connection points for other bases! Could these connections be for a new 3PO, Anakin, or one of the Lars family members. Only time will tell! The paintjob and sculpt are wonderful. The outfit she wears is intensly detailed and can impress without effort. Surprising enough her legs are articulated even though they can't move far. Her legs and dress are sculpted as one, and are very similar to a vintage obi-wan kenobi figure. Although her cape looks very cool I would suggest that you are careful placing her in. Padme's head pops off instantly when you try to take her out of the cape. The cape is very tight around her head, and you'll need to pry the head out to get it back. When she has the cape on she does not look as good as she should, so I fully intend to display her without the hugging cape.

I will admit that I like this figure, even though th face of the figure does not look like Natalie Portman. The head looks like it was sculpted for a different toy line, and at an angle the head seems much larger than it should be.Pics, where's the pics?

Jaff
10-20-2003, 08:23 PM
I wish my Logitech 310 wasn't so crappy. I took over tweny pics, but every one was blurred and nowhere near centered. I can't believe they make digital cameras that do not have a picture outline in the viewfinder. I was really p#@.ed. I thought putting pictures in would be cool, anyone else have this wave yet to help me post some pics. Here's is 5 example of how bad some of the pics of padme, janus, and elan were.

Turbowars
10-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Wow, I thought my Kodak cheapo was bad. Can you take it back?

plasticfetish
10-21-2003, 01:39 AM
...anyone else have this wave yet to help me post some pics.
Not yet Mr. Lucky-new-toys-guy. I get the idea well enough though. (It's just a webcam right? you might try using more light.) I'm looking forward to this Padme figure ... crossing my fingers that this'll be the one I actually like.

JEDIpartner
10-21-2003, 09:36 AM
If you have a scanner... try putting the figures on that. It works for me every time!! :happy:

Kidhuman
10-21-2003, 09:41 AM
Here's is 5 example of how bad some of the pics of padme, janus, and elan were.

Wheres the 5th one? Did you fail math class? :crazed:

Thanks for the pics jaff. The reviews are great and can not wait to hopefully find them, at least the Dignitary.

Hellboy
11-04-2003, 07:16 PM
I picked this figure up today and I'm debating on whether or not to open it or return it. Let me say that the sculpt is excellent my problem is with the paint application. I'm not sure if its just the one I got or a problem with them all but she was obviously painted completely blue and then painted flesh colored over that. It looks as if she has a ball joint type head and it wasn't removed and painted flesh colored because when looking up under her chin you can see blue paint on the upper part of her neck where it connects to her head. Basically if you removed her head you'd have a blue ball rather than a flesh colored one. The other problem area is around her eyes and looks as if she applied her eye make-up in the dark ruining what is otherwise a rather good face sculpt. This was the only figure of her at the store so I don't have anything to compare her to so I'm hoping this isn't the way they all look because she looks to be an excellent figure otherwise.

Jaff
11-04-2003, 09:59 PM
Well Hellboy, I opened up my Padme and after reading your comment I looked at the fig and you are absolutely right. The flesh is covering blue paint. So there's your conformation on her. I noticed what your talking about on her hands mostly, her waist, and neckline.

Hellboy
11-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Yeah the hands are another problem area on mine too. I've decided to return her with the hopes of finding another at a later date with better paint. I sure hope there are some good ones out there because I really like this figure but I'll pass if they all look this bad.

RussUAE
11-06-2003, 05:27 AM
Basically if you removed her head you'd have a blue ball rather than a flesh colored one.

You want to display her with no head? She's not that bad a character.

I like this figure a lot - yep head comes off easily, but it pops right back on so I'm fine about it.

stillakid
11-06-2003, 10:40 AM
I will say that the base makes you a little curious because it has two connection points for other bases! Could these connections be for a new 3PO, Anakin, or one of the Lars family members. Only time will tell!

I asked the Hasbro Rep at the San Diego Comic Con about this base business and the connector thingies. I was wondering if there was some master plan in the works (ie, are they supposed to fit together in some planned configuration). The answer was no. The bases are mutually exclusive, but have the tabs on them in case you want to interconnect them yourself. But there is no big scheme for any of them.

Jaff
11-06-2003, 10:47 AM
That's really a brianless inovation then, why make them connect if they are not part of a same scene. That's Hasbro brilliance for you.

darthzirock
11-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Well, if I find her and that bluish tint is showing through the pasty white-girl colored paint, it's all good! I'm a figure opener! I can just match the color with some hobby acrylics and give her a second coat--like Hasbro should have done!

ThomasLane
11-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Overall, a nice looking figure, but the head just doesn't look quite right. I'm really glad they included the lame stand with this figure, because mine stands up at an angle without it. How did Hasbro manage to make a "one-legged" figure not stand up straight? It appears that both sides of the "leg" where molded separately, then attached to the body, then glued together. But of course, they managed to get them out of alignment just enough to ruin mine. Oh well, at least on the figure stand, she stands up straight, with one foot hovering just above the ground.

plasticfetish
11-24-2003, 01:58 PM
But of course, they managed to get them out of alignment just enough to ruin mine. Oh well, at least on the figure stand, she stands up straight, with one foot hovering just above the ground.
Geez, what a mess. Another reason to be gun-shy about this one.

I saw just under a dozen of these today and honestly the paint was bad on all of them. Either the face was painted all weird, or the flesh color was sloppy or too thin. (Grrrr!) Still looking for a good one of these...

arctangent
11-25-2003, 09:46 AM
Although her cape looks very cool I would suggest that you are careful placing her in. Padme's head pops off instantly when you try to take her out of the cape. The cape is very tight around her head, and you'll need to pry the head out to get it back.

i have found if you hold the figure horizontally and gently rotate her legs and body upwards, you will reach an angle where you can gently pull her out of the cape without her head coming off.

the problem seems to be that the two sides of the hood are joined where they go under the chin of the figure, although on the packaging it shows a gap between the two parts of the hood - it is definately not joined together. well done hasbro.

Hellboy
11-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Well I'm happy to report that I finally found this figure with a decent paint application. They all seem to have the same problems its just a matter of how bad they are. I'll be pulling that head off though and painting that blue ball joint for sure.

JediTricks
12-19-2003, 01:47 AM
The face sculpt looks good from certain angles, but the head has been deepened and the paint is a bit man-ish, so it ruins what good there is in the sculpt. The hair doesn't stick out as much as it should, and the ball joint not being painted higher is a massive disappointment... actually, the sculpting of the joint is none too great either, doesn't really form an accurate neck, especially for this odd head. The paint is a bummer because it just doesn't match her head due to texture and subtleties of tone in the head plastic; her hands are sloppy here, they have very little paint, but at least her midriff isn't too bad; sadly though, there's several blops at the back of the shoulders that are tough to remove.

The robe looks pretty good, anybody who wants it to open like the prototype simply needs to get out a hobby knife and go to town, though it will ruin the lines of the robe of course. The outside of mine is almost completely black, you can't see the blue at all except on the inside. Luckily, I think the black paint with silver accents looks pretty sharp, but I can see how this would honk some folks off since it doesn't match the prototype (though the glittery blue interior seems like a regal lining to me).

This is one figure I couldn't recommend at all except to Padme fans, it's not terrible but it's far from good.

stillakid
12-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Can a mod please change the title of this thread. For god's sake, "loose" is not the same as "lose."

B'Omarr Monkey
12-19-2003, 09:35 PM
The head does look weirdly proportioned, especially in profile. I don't think it is too large, I think it just juts forward strangely. This is clearly to fit the robe under her chin as opposed to having her face swallowed up within the hood where you can't see it at all.

I've decided I'm going to have to get a second one to display with the cloak on and one without. The taking it off and putting it on again is too problematic, versus characters like Adi Gallia and the TPM Mace Windu where I can change my mind about how I want to display them without all the fuss of decapitating them.

fishyfett
12-20-2003, 12:55 AM
The EYES!!! Look at her eyes!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHH, why can't Hasbro paint her eyes right??? Those black rings around her eyes make her look like Tammy Faye Baker. I just hope she'll start crying to wash that horrible make-up down. I can forgive her other less obvious detractions, but not the eyes. Man, that really ruins an otherwise awesome figure. And I'd cut that hood's neckline apart to create a gap. It will make it easier to replace her cape. :p