PDA

View Full Version : I love the 80s Strikes Back

scruffziller
10-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Man when you couldn't think that Boy George could get any weirder......:D

I was pleased that they have done this since there was so much they didn't cover in the first one. Smurfs, Flash Gordon, Plastic Man etc, it was great. I was laughing my arse off. That Michael Ian Black gets me every time.:D
I didn't know the Grey Poupon commercial was on that late back then.

mrmiller
10-21-2003, 11:23 AM
This is a great series. I'm constantly laughing. It's like getting together with some of your old high school buddies and sitting around drinking talking about the good ol' days. Good stuff, I'm glad they decided to revisit the 80's.

=MATT=

bobafrett
10-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Yeah, it should only be on a couple dozen more times before I start to throw my arms up and scream, "What about the music videos!!"

I haven't checked in to VH1 lately.

bobafrett
10-22-2003, 09:14 AM
Well, I saw the year 83 yesterday. Did anyone else see it? I was watching to see if they had a blurb about ROTJ. Unfortunatly I fell asleep during the middle segment. I just want to know if I should watch it again. Also I cought the last 20 minutes of 1980. No ESB coverage in that time.

scruffziller
10-22-2003, 09:51 AM
They didn't cover ROTJ in the last one did they?:confused:

Arrogant Arse
10-22-2003, 10:13 AM
Ya know, I used to think Marilyn Manson was the scariest person in music, but now it's Boy George? I think that the Gilbert Godfried What the #*$&! of the Series should be Boy George.

And yes, they covered ESB in 1980, and ROTJ in 1983, the first time. They made a HUGE deal about Liea in ROTJ. (I wonder why? :D)

I especially like the "Donal Logue's unfinished rambilngs" segments. I'm laughing, and liking this one more than the origional. (But I also like ESB better than Star Wars too.:D)

scruffziller
10-22-2003, 01:15 PM
I like that part where they're making fun of it all, I LOVE THE 30s strikes back.:D

bobafrett
10-22-2003, 01:44 PM
And yes, they covered ESB in 1980, and ROTJ in 1983, the first time. They made a HUGE deal about Liea in ROTJ. (I wonder why? :D)

I know they covered both ESB and ROTJ in their perspective year slots the first timew around, but I was wondering about this current series. And yes, Boy George is freaky and I guess that's what he can do since he still has money from the "Culture Club" days. Do I really want to hurt you? If you come anywhere near me, you better believe it.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-22-2003, 01:52 PM
The better bring up a few omitted things like Press Your Luck, Phil Collins, Billy Joel, Voltron, or a few movies like One Crazy Summer, or Better Off Dead. I could understand if they left them off the original 80's special, with only an hour to cover a whole year. But to omit some of these, this time around would be sinful.

Arrogant Arse
10-22-2003, 02:41 PM
I know they covered both ESB and ROTJ in their perspective year slots the first timew around, but I was wondering about this current series. And yes, Boy George is freaky and I guess that's what he can do since he still has money from the "Culture Club" days. Do I really want to hurt you? If you come anywhere near me, you better believe it.
I'm Sorry Boba, I missed your point, no they didn't cover ESB or ROTJ this time around. I think that the first series was like "A List" items. This is like "B List" items. Examples: the first time they talked about Star Wars, this time they talked about Star Trek. The first time they talked about Raiders of the Lost Ark, this time, Conan the Barbarian. The first time they talked about "Members' Only" jackets, this time, Satin jackets. Etc.

AA

bobafrett
10-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks AA! I wasn't sure if I wanted to watch it again. I will probably catch it at work during a slow period in the evening, as my coworkers who were just babies during the 80's seem to be interested in that time period.

Darth Jax
10-22-2003, 09:11 PM
boy george may be weird, but he's making money to look odd like that. it's his stage persona for his broadway show. i've only caught bits and pieces of strikes back so far. they'll play it endlessly as with everything else they do.

LTBasker
10-22-2003, 11:49 PM
I wish they wouldn't of had that one guy who looks like a dulled version of Ashton Kutcher, he's kinda boring. Is Boy George the guy with the black streaks down his head? Yeah that was definitely suprising...

Pretty good though, having some great laughs about the 80's years I missed. :D

James Boba Fettfield
10-23-2003, 12:09 AM
I watched some of these tonight, and I saw Scott Ian from Anthrax, and I thought, "Cool, it's some metal representation." Then I forgot what I was watching and surfed the channels until I found Bettlejuice.

scruffziller
10-23-2003, 11:56 AM
I wish they wouldn't of had that one guy who looks like a dulled version of Ashton Kutcher, he's kinda boring.
NO WAY DUDE!!!!!:eek:
Michael Ian Black is hilarious!!!!!! You just gotta catch the vibe of his simplistic humor. If you do, you'll be rolling on the floor.

"Hey Kids......Let's kick some commie arse......":D :D :D :D :D :D :D

FRIGGIN' GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazed:

mrmiller
10-23-2003, 01:22 PM
NO WAY DUDE!!!!!:eek:
Michael Ian Black is hilarious!!!!!! You just gotta catch the vibe of his simplistic humor. If you do, you'll be rolling on the floor.

"Hey Kids......Let's kick some commie arse......":D :D :D :D :D :D :D

FRIGGIN' GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazed:

I agree, Michael Ian Black is the best part of the show. Wasn't he in "Kids in the Hall"?

=MATT=

scruffziller
10-23-2003, 01:30 PM
I agree, Michael Ian Black is the best part of the show. Wasn't he in "Kids in the Hall"?

=MATT=I don't think so.:confused: They feature him on there as on "Ed". I think he is too young to have been on there. I think you are thinking of Mark McKinney.

mrmiller
10-23-2003, 01:49 PM
My Bad.. I don't know what I was thinking, I'm half asleep right now. Anyhow- He's halarious! I also like the guy from Queer as Folk... Now wasn't he also on Talk Soup? Man, I need to get some sleep...

=MATT=

scruffziller
10-23-2003, 03:07 PM
My Bad.. I don't know what I was thinking, I'm half asleep right now. Anyhow- He's halarious! I also like the guy from Queer as Folk... Now wasn't he also on Talk Soup? Man, I need to get some sleep...

=MATT=
Yea I guess in a sleep deprived state he might look like Mark McKinney.:D
Been there many times, I work the graveyard shift and still try to have a life.:(

Bel-Cam Jos
10-23-2003, 07:14 PM

=MATT=
Do you mean Hal Sparks? He has some good one liners, but not as good as M.I.B. I haven't felt the vibe like in the first I.L.T.80s so far.

JediTricks
10-23-2003, 09:15 PM

=MATT=You're likely thinking of MTV's comedy troupe "The State", which Black was a key member of.

mrmiller
10-23-2003, 10:09 PM
You're likely thinking of MTV's comedy troupe "The State", which Black was a key member of.

Oh yea, than JT. I knew he was in some sketch comedy group. For a minuite there I thought I was loosing it. :crazed:

=MATT=

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Do you mean Hal Sparks? He has some good one liners, but not as good as M.I.B. I haven't felt the vibe like in the first I.L.T.80s so far.

Nothing VH1 does from now on, will best the original ILT80's, but the current "80's Strike Back" soundly beats their "I Love The 1970's," special.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-25-2003, 01:44 PM
I have found myself laughing out loud more for ILT80SB than ILT80. I agree, LBC, that the ILT70 was not so interesting, probably because I was alive for only 6.75 years of them, with maybe 3 to 4 of those years having hazy memories of them.

You're likely thinking of MTV's comedy troupe "The State", which Black was a key member of.
"The State, The State; like Rhode Island." :D I used to love the commercials for it, and sometimes the sketches were even funny, too.

BTW (I've been using a lot of acronyms, it seems), have any of these topics been covered in either the ILT80 or ILT80SB?
- "Herb" from Burger King
- TV shows Misfits of Science, MacGyver, Sledgehammer!, Police Squad!, or ALF.
- Crystal Pepsi
- Chicken fried steaks
- Zubaz prints
- Hats with flaps on the back
- Pork rinds
- Velcro on shoes
- Ben Johnson on steroids

Just curious.

scruffziller
10-25-2003, 02:15 PM
- Crystal Pepsi
Crystal Pepsi came out in 1993.

James Boba Fettfield
10-25-2003, 03:01 PM

Right now!
Catch that magic moment and do it right!
Right now!

I drank it just because Van Halen's song in the commercial made me do it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Ugh! I work for Pepsi and even i know that Crystal Pepsi was pretty nutty. There are a few cans of that still back at the Pepsi plant in a glass case, like preserving memories.

I love this series, as i loved the old one too. I agree with the posts asking WTF is Boy Georges' deal?!? Seriously, i don't mind him in his little hat and whatnot, but this is totally unncessary.

Michael Ian Black kills me. His humor is so dry and simplistic. I've watched "Ed" for years now and he never ceases to make me laugh. "The State" was great too...."What do you have for me? "A Martini?" "A Martini? I wanna dip my balls in it!!!" Man, that show was great. (and mods, the phrase balls doesn't mean what you think it means. :D )

Darth Jax
10-25-2003, 08:10 PM
have any of these topics been covered in either the ILT80 or ILT80SB?
- "Herb" from Burger King
- TV shows Misfits of Science, MacGyver, Sledgehammer!, Police Squad!, or ALF.
- Crystal Pepsi
- Chicken fried steaks
- Zubaz prints
- Hats with flaps on the back
- Pork rinds
- Velcro on shoes
- Ben Johnson on steroids

Just curious.
80's strikes back points out that velcro was introduced on shoes in 81.

macgyver was covered in the original (85) as was ALF (86) don't recall any of the others being mentioned.

JediTricks
10-25-2003, 08:56 PM
They're ping-pong balls, from "Louie, the guy who comes in and says his catchphrase over and over". Great series.

scruffziller
10-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Ugh! I work for Pepsi and even i know that Crystal Pepsi was pretty nutty. There are a few cans of that still back at the Pepsi plant in a glass case, like preserving memories.

Can you send me some!!!!!
I loved the Crystal Pepsi!!!!!!!-no joke, I miss it so bad.:cry:
The summer of 1993 I was eating Whatchmacallit bars and drinking Crystal Pepsi all summer long!!!:crazed:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-26-2003, 09:42 AM
Really? I could have sworn (see? $#@&%! :p) if was earlier than that. I was out of high school two years after '93, and I really thought the product was out before I left. Oh well.

scruffziller
10-26-2003, 02:44 PM
I keep forgetting to mention but Gedde Wattanabe is a comic god!!!!!
He is excellent in everything he does.
THE DONGER KNOWS!!!!!!!!!:D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-26-2003, 02:48 PM
Can you send me some!!!!!
I loved the Crystal Pepsi!!!!!!!-no joke, I miss it so bad.:cry:
The summer of 1993 I was eating Whatchmacallit bars and drinking Crystal Pepsi all summer long!!!:crazed:

hehehehehehe Sorry Scruff, no can do feller. The cans are in the office of my boss and are in a glass case. I would go on and shatter it for ya, but that would more than likely cos a disturbance which the guys on the floor would hear, run up to find out and see myself surrounded in broken glass and holding the stolen cans of Crystal Pepsi. They would then prolly beat me down and string me up on those electric jacks we have in our warehouses.
Now, if you could promise to take care of my hospital bills and pay me for the time off work, i'd be more than happy to stage some Oceans 11-esque operation and get them for ya. :crazed: hehehehehehehe :D

scruffziller
10-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Now, if you could promise to take care of my hospital bills and pay me for the time off work
Me too because the acid in the substance would probably eat through my stomach.:sur:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-26-2003, 11:04 PM
I've officially seen every installment of "I Love The 80's Strike Back," and I do think VH1 did a fine job again with the right cast of celebrities it interviewed as well as all the fads, dances, the videos, etc, that it revisited. Now here comes the endless onslaught of "ILT80SB" for the next two months.

Wonder what VH1 will continue the format or will that be the end of it? There are still some things that they missed on the 80's, but enough to fill a whole hour, for each year of the decade? I sure hope so.

mrmiller
10-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Now that "I Love the 80's Strikes Back" is done, I'm ready for "Return of the I Love the 80's"!

=MATT=

scruffziller
10-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Now that "I Love the 80's Strikes Back" is done, I'm ready for "Return of the I Love the 80's"!

=MATT=Amen to that.
Then I am ready for.....
The Phantom 80s (one of really obscure stuff)

&

Attack of the 80s.:D

scruffziller
10-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Word is that "I love the 90s" is now in the works.