PDA

View Full Version : Unforgiven

Tycho
10-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Somebody's gotta keep the Western nostalgia alive around here.

Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman, and Ed Harris all help.

But Little Bill took a big chance that Bouchamp wouldn't fire when he handed him that loaded gun while English Bob was locked in the jail cell.

I wish he had, just to see the look on Little Bill's face.

"But I'm William Munny. I've killed just about everything that's ever walked or crawled. I've killed women and children. And tonight I've come to kill YOU!"

A classic western, I liked how the dialogue was dumbed down to reflect the times and the sophistication (or lack thereof) of the people who were enacting out their parts in this ode to "the real world" in the wild, wild west - the way it really was.

derek
10-21-2003, 04:42 PM
i really love this film. and if you haven't seen "open range", do so, as it's similar to unforgiven.

.........and tycho, it's richard harris, not ed . :p

you just shot an unarmed man!...................well, he should of armed himself" :evil:

Mandalorian Candidat
10-21-2003, 07:33 PM
Come on Tycho! You call yourself a fan of westerns yet get Ed Harris confused with Richard Harris? Ed Harris was in all those space movies (Apollo 13, Right Stuff). That's like getting Woody and Buzz Lightyear mixed up. ;)

OK, just funnin' ya.

I can think of few things I didn't like about this movie. It was well cast and well written. My favorite part is when Little Bill is ragging on the Duck of Death about shooting Two Gun Willie, or whatever his name was, and how Two Gun got his name.

"Well you sir are a cowardly son of a b..."

Tycho
10-22-2003, 01:27 AM
Come on Tycho! You call yourself a fan of westerns yet get Ed Harris confused with Richard Harris? Ed Harris was in all those space movies (Apollo 13, Right Stuff). That's like getting Woody and Buzz Lightyear mixed up. ;)

OK, just funnin' ya.

I can think of few things I didn't like about this movie. It was well cast and well written. My favorite part is when Little Bill is ragging on the Duck of Death about shooting Two Gun Willie, or whatever his name was, and how Two Gun got his name.

"Well you sir are a cowardly son of a b..."

LOL! Ed - Richard - Ed - Richard! I must have been pretty tired when I posted.

"Maybe you should just hang the carpenter!"

Schofield Kid cracks me up, too. The classic Wanna-Be, he played it well. They mention William Bonnie in the film, too. As he must have been that area's idolized outlaw, not too far from New Mexico, was Big Whiskey, Wyoming I guess. Well, William Munny's not impressed nor cares about Billy's antics. He's just got his feet planted in the hard earth and knows the tough seeds it nourishes. He was the real deal. English Bob and even Little Bill were all riding the winds of glory for whatever single acts of supposed courage they'd each performed. Contrast that with Billy the Kid - he was fighting a war down there in Lincoln (when he got started). But Billy still got off on his own fame. Munny never cares. That guy was hard!

JON9000
10-24-2003, 11:19 AM
This movie is incredibly quotable. Some of my Favorites:

The kid- "It don't seem right, how he ain't never gonna breathe again."
Clint- "It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man. You take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have."

The kid- "...that mexican that come at me with a knife, I didn't kill him neither, I just busted his leg with a shovel"
Clint- "Well you sure killed the hell out of that fella today."
The Kid- "I guess he had it comin."
Clint (and I love this)- "We all got it comin' Kid."

That whole scene where Munney and the Kid are waiting for the cash is just dazzling every time I see it. It ranks right up there with Hopper and Walken in True Romance.

This movie should be in everyone's collection. Its the best western I've ever seen.

Turambar
10-30-2003, 12:03 AM
This was a movie I didn't like at first, but then, every time it was on tv I couldn't resist the urge to watch. Now, I love this movie. I think it's quite different from other westerns by being such a dark gothic tale, but also there really aren't any characters with any redeeming qualities which really makes it interesting -- especially when you find yourself pulling for the old drunken murderer William Munny. Great movie!
Here's hoping Clint has one more western left in him.

Tycho
07-29-2006, 01:15 PM
I just watched this again. Gosh I love this movie.

"I see you still got that old Spencer rifle."

The music's nice to listen to as well.