PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Files Suit against Maker of Highly Offensive Ghettopoly Game

SirSteve
10-21-2003, 07:42 PM
PAWTUCKET, R.I., Oct 21, 2003 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) today filed suit in U.S. District Court in Rhode Island against David Chang of Saint Mary's, PA, manufacturer of the highly offensive "Ghettopoly" game.

"Hasbro will not tolerate Mr. Chang's unlawful use of its intellectual property to sell the reprehensible 'Ghettopoly' game," said Frank Bifulco, President of Hasbro's U.S. Games. "Mr. Chang has chosen to ignore our cease and desist demands, and therefore, we are taking the necessary legal action."

In the complaint Hasbro stated that Chang violated Hasbro's trademark rights and copyrights to the MONOPOLY game, which has been a Parker Brothers game since 1935. The complaint also cites unlawful acts which "have caused and continue to cause irreparable injury to the value and goodwill of the MONOPOLY(R) real estate trading game trademarks, as well as to Hasbro's business, goodwill and reputation."

Hasbro is a worldwide leader in children's and family leisure time entertainment products and services, including the design, manufacture and marketing of games and toys ranging from traditional to high-tech. Both internationally and in the U.S., its PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, TIGER and WIZARDS OF THE COAST brands and products provide the highest quality and most recognizable play experiences in the world.

SOURCE: Hasbro, Inc.

Beast
10-21-2003, 07:47 PM
Glad to hear that Hasbro's going to lay the smackdown on the company making this offensive game. If you haven't seen it, it basically uses every black stereotype in the book. Not to mention ever other ethnic stereotype they could shove into the game. Good for Hasbro, go kick some arse in court. I wouldn't normally post a link, but I will in this case. I have to laugh at his 'Message to the Haters' on his website. Sounds like he's just trying to cover his own arse. Especially how he turns it into an attack against his race. :rolleyes:

I am sorry that my last name is of Asian decent, maybe if my last name was different, some of you might not be so harsh.
http://www.ghettopoly.com/
http://www.ghettopoly.com/message.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
10-21-2003, 08:15 PM
Bwaahahahahahaaaa!!

Call me what you will, but I think it looks kind of fun.

InsaneJediGirl
10-21-2003, 08:49 PM
Looks like an interesting game.Sterotypical of course but most things in this world are.

Should we also ban every single comedian who cracks jokes about Asians? Is Jay Leno a racist because he made a comment about Asian people eating dogs? How about Snoop Dog, on his TV show on MTV, is he a racist too? What do you think when Rappers rap about "Chinky eyes" or "eyes slanted like", should they be called racist also. Or how about the broken English Asians who are portrayed in Black Movies, are the people who laugh, all racist?

Why does he suddenly go from African-American sterotypes to Asian sterotypes?:crazed:Its about the game,not the race of the creator.

kool-aid killer
10-21-2003, 09:41 PM
My brother thought it was funny but i didnt think it was. Perhaps if the creator had released an Asian version first (we could call it Bootlegopoly because Asians seem to be notorious for bootlegging cds and dvds) and then went about releasing his other crap there wouldnt be quite as big an outrage. But maybe it came from his being Asian and making fun of certain aspects of African American society. It seems to me that those two races are wary of each other. I could be wrong but thats just the impression i get.

bobafrett
10-21-2003, 11:52 PM
I don't know, my son says he wants to buy one. I just brought him up from a bad neighborhood, not quite the ghetto, but lots of gangs.

Tycho
10-25-2003, 02:54 AM
I love to be politically incorrect sometimes... here's how to play:

Go Directly to Jail: Do not drive a white Ford Bronco, just get your zrse in jail Mo-Fo. That's 3 strikes! But you can collect 100 cigarettes.

Community Chest: Get Affirmative Action: Go directly to college. Do not pass the SAT, just collect a scholarship, G.

Chance: Drive-by shooting. Give up your pitbulls, and lose 30% of your ammunition. But you no longer have to pay child support due to civilian casualties.

Add real estate by acquiring spray paint and marking your territory. When you get all 3 corners matching the same color, add crack houses to increase the value of your property.

You can take out a loan to properly outfit your ho's, and if you want to pimp it, build brothels next to your crack houses. If your opponent lands in your hood, you can trade profits from 3 brothels to invest into 1 crack house.

Community Chest: To avoid an audit, transform your crack houses into legitimate businesses for the benefit of your community: add pawn shops, gun stores, and liquor marts. Charge exorbinant prices.

Chance Card: Find the winning lottery number in the serial label of your malt liquor. Move out of that neighborhood. Buy a gas station. Add employees who can't speak English.

Jargo
10-25-2003, 09:25 AM
He should counter sue hasbro for being sexist and mysoginistic. Dictating what toys boys and girls should play with. Just as ridiculous but that's the way it goes with lawsuits.

Personally I find the whole game of monopoly offensive. Capitalism isn't a suitable subject for a game. It's time some of these old games were retired anyway. Hasbro's conservative 1950's attitudes don't really serve todays society.

JediTricks
10-25-2003, 08:37 PM
Hasbro didn't invent Monopoly, they weren't even in business back then IIRC, they simply bought the company that bought the game from the original inventor.

jeddah
10-27-2003, 05:36 AM
Are they selling it in the UK? I love a copy. I am a real monopoly freak and have loads of different (SW) versions.

:D

jeddah

stillakid
10-27-2003, 11:03 AM
He should counter sue hasbro for being sexist and mysoginistic. Dictating what toys boys and girls should play with. Just as ridiculous but that's the way it goes with lawsuits.

Personally I find the whole game of monopoly offensive. Capitalism isn't a suitable subject for a game. It's time some of these old games were retired anyway. Hasbro's conservative 1950's attitudes don't really serve todays society.

Exactly! Have you ever played with a little kid and won? Let's just say that it builds character. Aside from that, it's a pure game of chance. I think that it would be a better game if it were combined with LIFE. Then, as you drove your little car around the board, you could buy property and all that same stuff while your wife fills the car with little blue and pink pegs.

As far as Ghettopoly goes, the lawsuit is justified because he is more or less defiling a held copyright. But stereotypes do exist for a reason...because at some point in the past or present somebody or many people of a "race" or "creed" or "nationality" did something often enough that that specific behavior became attributed to them specifically. The "thing" they did itself isn't bad on it's own, however it is the way that other "groups" use that information which creates a negative connotation of the behavior. So, while Ghettopoly might seem horrific (because not all members of a certain group have the stated behaviors), many do or did.

Look at it this way, the word "Christian" was used as a negative epithet in the early years. But the "Christians" didn't file lawsuits and such. They embraced what they held dear and took ownership of the word which was originally meant to embarrass them. "Victims" of stereotypes can do the same or work to change the "negative" problems of their "group" if so applicable (ie, stop drinking so much or cut the prison populations down). If a simple game like Ghettopoly gets so many people up in arms, maybe they shouldn't be blaming the messenger and instead look inward to make a change for the better.

Just a thought.

Tycho
10-27-2003, 11:33 AM
I agree. My above post about the rules to this game might be offensive, but I did not mention any specific ethnicities that create neighborhoods like this, when in fact EVERY ethnicity creates its own little hell like the one I described in the game above.

No ethnic group should deny these neighborhoods exist, or in whatever statistical numbers they fall into. If they don't like it, they should change things. And I work in redevelopment, so I know it's not easy.

Take pride in what you're trying to accomplish and ignore the stereotypes and negativity because it will take a lifetime of progress to make real change happen. You will or won't see results before you die, all based on how much you let stuff like this get under your skin and slow you down.

Anyway, it's probably not how you "win" in Ghettopoly, but:

don't solve your problems with a hand gun
take precautions to not make babies when you're not married
take care of the kids you do have by working, not collecting welfare
don't drink (its wasted money and you could spend your drinking time making your life better)
don't smoke - it wastes your health and what you pay in tobacco prices and taxes can buy a car!
patronize your local businesses; ask them to carry items you don't see; start your own business if you can do it better
report bad landlords, become able to buy your own property as soon as possible
teach children they HAVE TO value education, and help them find a way to college (scholarships)
have neighborhood councils so you don't have to try and accomplish this by yourself.

Recent anti-Semetic (anti-Jewish) stuff was said to President Bush by some radical Islamic leader while Bush toured overseas. They accused Jews of ruling the world by their control over America and its media and money. That is another ridiculous stereotype. The average Jewish person is like any other American, versus the few Allan Greenspans (US financial director) or Steven Speilbergs.

However, in many Jewish households children are taught that education and going to college and holding a professional career is the ONLY acceptable role for them. Huh. To make a living without welfare assistance...imagine that? They are taught to plan and save for tomorrow. Of course they are going to be successful! Duh. Then other cultures like to hate Jews and blame them for their success, suggesting it is caused by some conspiratorial evil. Where's the justice in that? There are no Jewish majorities on college campuses. In fact, Asian students are taught the same priniciples in many cases, and you can see lots of Asian students on collge campuses, especially at the more prestigious universities in California. Blacks and Hispanics are struggling to improve their numbers in education all the time (and it would be a great thing for them to succeed).

But I still believe it is possible for everyone to succeed.