PDA

View Full Version : singer/songwriter Elliot Smith dead at 34

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Sad sad news for fans of Elliot Smith, he has died at the age of 34. Cause of death? Suicide. I shall toss on his albums and feel depressed for the next day or so.

thought if there were any other fans they should know.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/983609.asp?0si=-

James Boba Fettfield
10-22-2003, 02:14 PM
That's weird. The guy I talked to about this told me he drowned, which really seemed kind of an odd way to die. I'll have to ask him what he was talking about tomorrow.

But still, a self inflicted stab wound, what a way to go out of the world.

Exhaust Port
10-22-2003, 06:37 PM
Wow, I knew that name sounded familiar. I dug through my CD's and sure enough I have his Kill Rock Stars album. I can't remember how I ended up purchasing it years ago but I love it from the first listen. I just threw it back into the old computer CD tray to give it another spin. Sorry to hear he killed himself...

2-1B
10-23-2003, 04:08 AM
That's weird. The guy I talked to about this told me he drowned, which really seemed kind of an odd way to die. I'll have to ask him what he was talking about tomorrow.

But still, a self inflicted stab wound, what a way to go out of the world.

Maybe he drowned FROM the wound? I'm serious - it could be that he punctured a lung or something? I don't know . . . :(

Nevertheless, I don't recall hearing about him until his death but it's indeed a sad story.

Jargo
10-23-2003, 08:39 AM
Who? Never heard of him. Should I have?

James Boba Fettfield
10-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Probably not Jargo, he wasn't really a name you could throw out there and think everyone would recognize it. I know I wouldn't know him if I did not know a guy who followed his work.

In the link Guyute has, it gives some detail behind some of the more famous things he's done.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-23-2003, 10:03 AM
If you've seen "Good Will Hunting" or "The royal Tenenbaums" you've heard his stuff. I believe the song in GWH was "Miss Misery" and oddly enough, his song, "Needle in the Hay" is played in tenenbaums during the attempted suicide scene. He also had a slew of good albums, but JBFF is right, he's more of an underground word of mouth kind of artist.