PDA

View Full Version : Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

billfremore
10-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Well I've gotten this game and finished it in 3 days taking 10 hours of gameplay and I have a few comments:

This game awas wayyyyyyy too short.
The storyline was not nearly as inspired as the first (the first one had all of that wonderful Norse mythology symbolism)
Why did they break up the bullet-time into 2 options, dodging and just straight bullet-time?
I liked the melee combos of being able to throw grenades and molotovs while still holding your gun
Much better graphics than the first.
Not nearly enough unscripted gameplay available.[/list]

All in all I enjoyed the game but I was left feeling like I wanted more from the story.
Games are becoming more and more cinematic these days, Max Payne especially. I enjoy having a great and compelling storyline to go with great gameplay and hope there will be better games yet to come.

Max Payne 2 is a true sequel. Same characters, lousy story.

Anakin2121
10-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Why did they break up the bullet-time into 2 options, dodging and just straight bullet-time?

I think it's just about the best frickin' game ever. And the bullet-time is not broken into two options. You can configure a "combo" key just like in the first game.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-24-2003, 11:34 AM
My question is: does he really die, as in the title "The fall of Max Payne"?!???! eh?!!?!? Inquiring minds wanna know....well, just me. :D

billfremore
10-24-2003, 01:14 PM
I think it's just about the best frickin' game ever. And the bullet-time is not broken into two options. You can configure a "combo" key just like in the first game.

Of course! I'll just make the right mouse button the combo key.
silly me for not thinking of it.

It is a good game, but I still think the story is not as deep as the first one.

Anakin2121
10-25-2003, 11:11 AM
Max doesn't die, but virtually everyone else does.

And it's called The Fall of Max Payne simply because it's set during the fall. During all of this game it's raining, just like how during all of the first game it was snowing.

And I use the right mouse button as the combo key too. :)

I also love the reworked combat system. There's, like, only two "boss" characters in the whole game, and none of 'em are much tougher than Rico Muerte from the first game. The enemies are about as easy to kill in the last level as they are in the first level, which I like. And none of 'em ever eat more than, like, 3 or 4 pistol shots or 2 shotgun blasts before going belly up. In the first game, ya know, you'd shoot a guy FIVE TIMES in the face with a shotgun at point blank range, and then he would scream, grab his stomach, double over, and fall to his side and die. :p

billfremore
10-27-2003, 12:56 PM
Yeah I'm also glad to see that the bosses are a little more human this time. In the last game, Boris Dime was insanely hard, even moreso than the last level.
The last level was super easy by comparision.

Anakin2121
10-27-2003, 10:01 PM
The last level was super easy by comparision.

I wouldn't go that far, but it certainly wasn't as hair-rippingly difficult as a few sequences from the first game.

I always felt so satisfied after killing Boris Dime and would say something like, "Tell the devil that Max sent you." :D

billfremore
10-28-2003, 11:22 AM
I still wish they had taken more time and made the story of Max Payne 2 as rich as the first one.
But I will agree, I do enjoy all the new features.

Anakin2121
10-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Oh, and for those complaining of the game being too short -- play the Dead Man Walking maps! And if you beat the game on Dead On Arrival difficulty, you get an alternate ending! One that's much better, actually.

And, Remedy (the developer) will frequently be releasing free, additional content for the game online. They released the first bit today -- two new Dead Man Walking maps (in one of 'em you can play as Mona!) and also an MP3 of the main theme song.

billfremore
10-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Well that's excellent.

I'll be trying that level starting tonight then.

Anakin2121
10-28-2003, 04:25 PM
And as a note, you can grab the MP3 and the 2 new Dead Man Walking maps from the Downloads section at www.maxpayne2.com :)