PDA

View Full Version : STAR QUIZ - The Empire Strikes Back

plasticfetish
10-23-2003, 11:41 AM
From the Topps, picture card series 2 - The Empire Strikes Back.
Copyright 1980.

Question: Let's begin our "Star Quiz" with a question so easy you'd have to be living on Dagobah your whole life not to know the answer. Put simply: who is "the force" behind the Star Wars movies; Who created them?

STARTING NEXT CARD...
Look for "STAR QUIZ" answers in this space!

stillakid
10-23-2003, 12:05 PM
George Lucas, Gloria Katz, Willard Huyck, Gary Kurtz, Gilbert Taylor, Richard Chew, John Barry, Leslie Dilley, Norman Reynolds, Roger Christian, John Mollo, Rick Baker, Stuart Freeborn, John Dykstra and co., etc etc etc....

scruffziller
10-23-2003, 12:19 PM
HOLY MOLY!!!!!

I had those cards!!!!
I wonder if they are somewhere if my mom stashed them or threw them away after becoming wrinkled raveled.:(

Bel-Cam Jos
10-26-2003, 04:39 PM
I'll see if my powers of memory can allow me to recall any questions from these classic cardboard captions...
Nope. I'll just cheat and find one by looking at it. :p
This is from the next card, #145: "Question: When and where do the STAR WARS adventures take place?"

plasticfetish
10-27-2003, 12:07 AM
Thank You Mr. Bel-Cam Jos for pushing the STAR QUIZ forward ...
With the excitement level being what it is for STAR QUIZ, I apologize for being absent and not moving things along.

I'll see if my powers of memory can allow me to recall any questions from these classic cardboard captions...
Nope. I'll just cheat and find one by looking at it.
Of course it's perfectly acceptable to reference your own card collection ... as there is no such thing as "cheating" when it comes to STAR QUIZ. The answers may be gotten by any means necessary ... though, I don't think we ever got a perfectly accurate answer to the last question. The win will go to stillakid though, mentioned within his long list of names was the simple and correct answer to the question ...

Answer to Star Quiz on card no. 144
George Lucas

Remember there's no such thing as cheating, but answers should be exact ... and so we will move on to card #145, as Bel-Cam said ...

QUESTION: When and where do the STAR WARS adventures take place?
See answer on card 146

stillakid
10-27-2003, 12:19 AM
QUESTION: When and where do the STAR WARS adventures take place?
See answer on card 146

sigh, I was merely trying to make a political point and give credit where it's due. ;)

In any case, the answer to this question, Alex, is: What is, "in a galaxy far far away"? I'll wager Eleventy billion trillion dollars. :D

plasticfetish
10-27-2003, 12:46 AM
No ... check the answer as printed on the back of the card.
This one's gonna be a trick question ...
(hee) ;)

sigh...
I know (just kidding around) but, that's what's so funny about the "Star Quiz" and stuff like this in general ... in 1980, for a bunch of 7 to 12 year olds, this was serious stuff. It's what I love about the old Topps cards in general. I remember carrying a stack of these cards around with me for years really. It was a way to carry the movies around in your back pocket. We'd sit and study the pictures looking for details that we'd missed when watching the films on the big screen.

Note on that first card, the great selection of droids ... one of which (supposedly) we just got in that Hoth set.

stillakid
10-27-2003, 09:44 AM
No ... check the answer as printed on the back of the card.
This one's gonna be a trick question ...
(hee) ;)

I know (just kidding around) but, that's what's so funny about the "Star Quiz" and stuff like this in general ... in 1980, for a bunch of 7 to 12 year olds, this was serious stuff. It's what I love about the old Topps cards in general. I remember carrying a stack of these cards around with me for years really. It was a way to carry the movies around in your back pocket. We'd sit and study the pictures looking for details that we'd missed when watching the films on the big screen.

Note on that first card, the great selection of droids ... one of which (supposedly) we just got in that Hoth set.

Oh, man, now I gotta dig those out of the closet.

Remember when you could get a "sleeve" of ESB cards (3 packs) for like a buck? The good ol' days.

plasticfetish
11-01-2003, 03:51 PM
OK. C'mon ... someone must have the answer to this STAR QUIZ.
(No?)

plasticfetish
11-06-2003, 03:16 AM
Your painful silence tells me that the last STAR QUIZ was just too difficult. :rolleyes: OK. I'll give you this one ...

Answer to "STAR QUIZ" of card no. 145
A long time ago in a galazy far, far away

See, that was a tricky one ... a "galazy" far, far away ... uh-huh. :zzz:
So then, on to your "STAR QUIZ" for card #146 ...

QUESTION: What is Princess Leia's last name?

stillakid
11-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Your painful silence tells me that the last STAR QUIZ was just too difficult. :rolleyes: OK. I'll give you this one ...

Answer to "STAR QUIZ" of card no. 145
A long time ago in a galazy far, far away

See, that was a tricky one ... a "galazy" far, far away ... uh-huh. :zzz:
So then, on to your "STAR QUIZ" for card #146 ...

QUESTION: What is Princess Leia's last name?

"Z"?

I haven't pulled my box o' cards out of the closet yet, but the answer to this should be Organa according to the cards. But who's to say that George won't reimagine this factoid in the Prequels too? :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
11-13-2003, 01:48 AM
Answer to "STAR QUIZ" of card no. 146
Organa

Of course you were right Stillakid!

Your "STAR QUIZ" for card #147 ...
QUESTION: What is the first spaceship ever to be seen in a STAR WARS movie?

stillakid
11-13-2003, 08:41 AM
Answer to "STAR QUIZ" of card no. 146
Organa

Of course you were right Stillakid!

Your "STAR QUIZ" for card #147 ...
QUESTION: What is the first spaceship ever to be seen in a STAR WARS movie?

I think I'm the only other one reading these. :D I'll whisper the answer so that somebody else can have a chance...

Blockade Runner

plasticfetish
11-14-2003, 05:59 PM
I think I'm the only other one reading these.
I have no problem running through all of these for just you either. (I know other people are peeping in though.) Never let it be said that I'm afraid to take a silly idea way too far.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-27-2003, 09:12 AM
Here's the question from foil chase card #001A in the ESB Visions of the Future set:

"What watery planet does Dagobah become in the new 'prequel' films?"

What? No, you can't be serious. Really? Hmm... guess I got tricked. So, $45 was too steep a price to pay for it? WHAT?!? Now, I'm angry!

:p

p.s. I just made all that up, including the question, out of nowhere.

plasticfetish
11-28-2003, 01:13 AM
Here's the question from foil chase card #001A in the ESB Visions of the Future set:
The whaaa ... ?

p.s. I just made all that up, including the question, out of nowhere.
You know, I honestly got kind of excited to see that card for a second.

BUT ... on with STAR QUIZ!

Answer to "STAR QUIZ" of card no. 147
The Rebel Blockade Runner

Stillakid correct of course! And on his way to winning that authentic replica of George Lucas' favorite flannel shirt.

For your Thanksgiving STAR QUIZ, we're on to card #148 ...
Question: What does Princess Leia do and say to Luke just before they swing across the chasm in the Death Star?

stillakid
11-28-2003, 01:24 AM
The whaaa ... ?

You know, I honestly got kind of excited to see that card for a second.

BUT ... on with STAR QUIZ!

Answer to "STAR QUIZ" of card no. 147

Stillakid correct of course! And on his way to winning that authentic replica of George Lucas' favorite flannel shirt.

For your Thanksgiving STAR QUIZ, we're on to card #148 ...
Question: What does Princess Leia do and say to Luke just before they swing across the chasm in the Death Star?

The answer to BCJ's question of course is PLASTICS. Plastics.

Star Quiz 148 = A kiss, for luck. And she does. He gets a woody from his sister and they swing away.

plasticfetish
11-28-2003, 02:08 AM
Yes, that's correct ... but of course, Woody Harrelson won't be added to "A New Hope" until the DVD version, where he'll replace the actor that played Wuher in the cantina scene.

plasticfetish
12-15-2003, 01:46 AM
Answer to "STAR QUIZ" of card no. 148
She kisses him and says. "For luck"

And of course Stillakid is correct again. You're well on your way to winning that lock of authentic Yack hair from the original Bantha costume ... also used to weave Rick McCallum's wig.

Your "STAR QUIZ" for card #149 ...
QUESTION: What is the name of the giant battle station destroyed by Luke Skywalker in STAR WARS?

stillakid
12-15-2003, 08:21 AM
And of course Stillakid is correct again.
Now there's something you don't here very often at SSG! ;) Even though it's usually true. ;)

Your "STAR QUIZ" for card #149 ...

QUESTION: What is the name of the giant battle station destroyed by Luke Skywalker in STAR WARS?

Moon Base Alpha :p

No no, of course it's... The Death Star

Bel-Cam Jos
12-21-2003, 12:45 PM
At first I thought it was A Moon, but then I thought, "that's no moon." Then I thought, the answer must be A Space Station, but again, it was too big to be a space station. Finally, I knew it, it had to be IHABFAT, and I turned the ship around. Wouldn't you know it, I had to lock in auxillery power after being caught in a tractor beam. I thought, "there's gotta be something I can do!" but the voice in my head then said "there's nothing you can do." Eventually, I remembered that there are alternatives to guessing. So, I answered 'the Death Star,' like stillakid.

Whew! :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
02-23-2004, 04:20 AM
I feel bad. Very, very bad.
Here I've gone and started something special, but then I simply wandered off. It's as if my love for the "STAR QUIZ" simply vanished. As if I've abandoned all of the fans of "STAR QUIZ" as well. It's not true though! I'm still dedicated to the "STAR QUIZ" and we're going to push forward!

Answer to "STAR QUIZ" of card no. 149
The Death Star

Super! Some correct answers out there... glad to see it!

Now for Your "STAR QUIZ" for card #150 ...
QUESTION: In STAR WARS, Princess Leia was being pursued by Darth Vader. What was it she was carrying to her Rebel friends?

Bel-Cam Jos
02-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Now for Your "STAR QUIZ" for card #150 ...
QUESTION: In STAR WARS, Princess Leia was being pursued by Darth Vader. What was it she was carrying to her Rebel friends?
Lots of emotional baggage? A child? On and on about her new hairstyle? A tune? Hmm... what could it be...?

The plans to the Death Star, perhaps? :confused:

plasticfetish
10-04-2004, 06:13 PM
The "STAR QUIZ" is not restrained by the simple limits of time an space, it is eternal. The "STAR QUIZ" comes and goes, starts and stops as it please, and so now it... errr... pleases?

The plans to the Death Star, perhaps?THAT... is correct.
Answer to "STAR QUIZ" of card no. 149
Intercepted information about the Death Star

Now for Your "STAR QUIZ" for card #151 ...
QUESTION: In STAR WARS, what was the name of the spaceship Princess Leia was escaping in at the beginning of the story?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-04-2004, 06:39 PM
The "STAR QUIZ" is not restrained by the simple limits of time an space, it is eternal. The "STAR QUIZ" comes and goes, starts and stops as it please, and so now it... errr... pleases?

Now for Your "STAR QUIZ" for card #151 ...
QUESTION: In STAR WARS, what was the name of the spaceship Princess Leia was escaping in at the beginning of the story?Little Red Corellian Corvette? Charlie Brown's Blockhead Runner? Trading Spaces..ship? Well, with my tan so captive, I'd say Richard the IV would be my guess.

But I think the card says "Rebel Blockade Runner" :ermm:

plasticfetish
07-05-2005, 03:02 AM
Don't call it a comeback...

But I think the card says "Rebel Blockade Runner"Correct again!
Answer to "STAR QUIZ" of card no. 151

Now for Your "STAR QUIZ" for card #152 ...
QUESTION: Was the name of the planet Luke lived on with his aunt and uncle?

CaptainSolo1138
07-05-2005, 01:01 PM
The eternal, undying Star Quiz.....

I got a Tatoo this weekend. I read a magazine while they put it on.

The answer is Tatooine