PDA

View Full Version : R1 & its Jawa

Old Fossil
10-23-2003, 09:16 PM
I read that a pre-order has this listed as "Jawa and R1-G4."

Good news! Anybody know which Jawa they'll pack in with the droid? My hope is for the CTC version, though the 3 POTF2 sculpts are pretty good, in my opinion.

Big ol' R1 is gonna look SWEET towering over my Jawa clan! Unfortunately, he may not fit in the upcoming Sandcrawler... :rolleyes:

mark2d2
10-24-2003, 02:06 PM
The news that this figure is coming with a Jawa just amazed me.

I mean, can things seriously get any better than this?

Of all the droids released, this is the one that I would argue needs no such pack-in figure. (Not that I'm complaining! Merely saying that R1 is no tiny little Astro droid. :) ) Yep, this is just awesome! If it has to be a re-issue then I pray it is indeed the Comtech Jawa --- it's definitely the best. Second choice would be the Jawa that came with the Beast Pack way back when. (I never got that one, so no legs flaw aside --- at least it is still a different sculpt. For my collection.)

Then again, maybe Hasbro will REALLY surprise us all and give us an all new Jawa figure. (One they could get extra milege out of by packing it with the Sandcrawler as well.) Stranger things have happened.

I simply can't wait to see carded pics so the mystery will be solved.

PS --- Hey, the new Sandcrawler will be small. But NOT that small! Besides, I am already bracing myself for all the people who will whine that R1-G4 is not big enough. But watch the film again. He really doesn't appear to be that much more larger than, say, FX-7.

Hellboy
10-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Yeah the fact that we're getting another Jawa is great but it would be nice if it was a new sculpt. Am I the only one who wants the tall Jawa seen outside the Sandcrawler in ANH?

mark2d2
10-24-2003, 05:52 PM
Yeah the fact that we're getting another Jawa is great but it would be nice if it was a new sculpt. Am I the only one who wants the tall Jawa seen outside the Sandcrawler in ANH?

No, you sure aren't.

I think a lot of people have brought this up in previous threads.

Frankly, it seems to me to be a very distinct possibility that the Tall Jawa will come with either R1-G4 or the Sandcrawler. How else is there really to differentiate them other than height? Heck, the Tall Jawa is more than likely IMOP. I know, I know, in all probability the companion Jawa will just be a re-issue. But did anybody expect to get an all new Jawa with the Gonk a fews years bacK? I sure didn't.

With the focus on Collectors for the next year, I think that Hasbro might just really surprise us! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
10-24-2003, 06:08 PM
The news that this figure is coming with a Jawa just amazed me.

I mean, can things seriously get any better than this?

Not to burst your bubble, but can Hasbro really make a great figure with a good packin too, and then at a reasonable price? Right now, I am skeptical. I bet the Jawa will be made of chocolate or paper or something else to offset the cost.

Turbowars
10-24-2003, 06:15 PM
MAN OH MAN, I CAN'T WAIT FOR GOOD OLD R1!!!! I hope the other Droids follow his release!! Oh and I can care less about another Jawa. I just want R1 and more of them. I mean Jawas don't look that much different from each other and there's no need for hasbro to make a new one. I rather them put the effort into new figures we have not yet seen in plastic.

kool-aid killer
10-24-2003, 08:34 PM
I figure were getting another droid and Jawa so it cant be bad at all. I would prefer the commtech Jawa but wont deny that the tall one would rock. Any guesstimates on how large the Sandcrawler will be or what other ship its size compares to? It would be a shame if it couldnt hold at least four Jawas and a couple of droids.

Boba Fetish
10-24-2003, 11:04 PM

LOL. "Tall" looks funny on jawas. I think a freakishly tall jawa would be cool too. I'll have him playing soccer with that magnet tusken head.

Jaff
10-24-2003, 11:21 PM
A Jawa and R1

You see boys and girls dreams come true!

NOW WHERE'S THE SANDCRAWLER!!!!!!!

mark2d2
10-25-2003, 03:55 AM
Any guesstimates on how large the Sandcrawler will be or what other ship its size compares to? It would be a shame if it couldnt hold at least four Jawas and a couple of droids.

The Sandcrawler prototype photos that we've seen is a retooled vintage version with a smashing new paint job. (You should be able to find this pic by searching through older threads. Sorry, I am no good with links.) But in answer to your question --- it will more than accommodate all the passengers you've suggested.
:D

kool-aid killer
10-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Cool, i dont believe ive ever seen a vintage sandcrawler before with my own two eyes but am relieved to hear that it will be able to hold a decent amount of figures.

TheDarthVader
10-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Here is hoping that the Jawa that comes with R1 is not a sorry piece of crap. I am looking forward to finally getting R1! This could be the best droid ever made. I believe he has great potential because of his size.

plo koon 200
10-25-2003, 03:00 PM
I'm just exicted we are getting R1. At $5 it is still a good price w/out a Jawa.

mark2d2
10-25-2003, 10:44 PM
Here is a nifty shot of the vintage Sandcrawler that I found on 12back.com
It should provide a real good indication on the size of this ship.
There is also a flip up roof towards the front so you can access the cockpit.

Banthaholic
10-26-2003, 06:02 PM
I could care less if they release a Sandcrawler straight from the vintage mold, I just want one. Regardless how they make it, it'll be off-scale. So I'd rather have a vintage sized one, and put money towards needed pack ins.

Turbowars
10-26-2003, 09:01 PM
Here is a nifty shot of the vintage Sandcrawler that I found on 12back.com
It should provide a real good indication on the size of this ship.
There is also a flip up roof towards the front so you can access the cockpit.That thing looks so stupid with figures in front of it. I rather have a play set with scale treads and lower half of the crawler. Heck, how about a to scale Crawler. Have any of you seen that new GI. Joe playset? Not the rehash of the 80's version, but the new one. That thing is huge and it's only like 60 bucks. For 80 to 100 Hasbro could easly make a better Crawler than the crappy Vintage one.

Old Fossil
10-27-2003, 08:26 AM
That thing looks so stupid with figures in front of it. I rather have a play set with scale treads and lower half of the crawler. Heck, how about a to scale Crawler. Have any of you seen that new GI. Joe playset? Not the rehash of the 80's version, but the new one. That thing is huge and it's only like 60 bucks. For 80 to 100 Hasbro could easly make a better Crawler than the crappy Vintage one.

I'm beginning to come around to this point of view, myself. I probably would buy a reissue of the vintage Sandcrawler... but jeez. It would be nice to see Hasbro take some creative initiative on this vehicle and make it bigger. If they can release a Shuttle using vintage molds for $100, why can't they totally redo the Sandcrawler and give us a NEW one for the same price? Obviously the Shuttle sold well at that price tag... the market is out there. I personally can't see plunking down that kind of money for a simple Vintage reissue, but a brand new, more to scale Sandcrawler would probably part me from a Benjamin.

mark2d2
10-27-2003, 01:21 PM
A Scale Sandcrawler is an impossibility. Didn't everybody see the photos of that custom from Brazil? Yeah, it was cool as heck, but that could NEVER be mass produced for retail. Seriously, who could buy it? That thing was frigging HUGE! It would cost hundreds of dollars and take up way too much space even for me.

A scale playset that consists of just the treads?

Uh. . . No thanks. Somehow half a vehicle seems like a real non-seller to me.
Seriously, who wants half a vehicle?

Aside from scale, the Vintage Sandcrawler is perhaps the most accurate of all the ships in the vintage line. The lines, details and proportions are spot on. If Hasbro tries to make this bigger --- they'd just mess it up.

Leave it well enough alone and release it already.

shawnkeena
10-28-2003, 10:09 AM
If they do a new Jawa, I'd really like to see them try something different with the eyes. Lose the clear piece in the head and make the eyes really stand out somehow. My Jawa eyes never show up unless I pick them up and hold them under a light. I would like to see the Sandcrawler scaled up a little bit if possible. The proto paint job looked really great though.

Jargo
10-28-2003, 07:04 PM
I'd want a crawler at least double the size of the vintage one before I bought it. Opening front and decent treads, filled in underbelly with steps leading inside and a better droid vaccuum. Have the back not the front open up to allow you to get inside the main hull. A better equipped cockpit. kickass paint job and stuff the pack ins, they come out better single or multipacked.
Personally I don't care how much it would cost, if it's good I'll buy it if it isn't it can shelfwarm. If they chuck out anything resembling the vintage crawler it'll shelfwarm as far as I'm concerned.

Turbowars
10-28-2003, 07:08 PM
I'm with you all the way EJ!! If it's the Vintage one, I'll just steal the pack ins.;)

Jargo
10-28-2003, 07:28 PM
Can you get me some while you're at it ;)

Turbowars
10-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Can you get me some while you're at it ;)You got it my man! I just hope I can get through the twist ties.:evil: But really, can you imagine how many Crawlers that will be victimized?