PDA

View Full Version : Asajj Ventress Review

Hellboy
10-24-2003, 01:03 AM
Well I picked up the latest wave of CW figures and to my surprise Asajj Ventress is my favorite of the 4 so I figured I'd review her.

The first thing I noticed is her lightsabers. They both have removable blades so the hilts can fit in the 2 holsters hanging from her sides and can be held independantly or attached. Her arms are articulated at the end of her gloves just below the elbow instead of at the wrists. Her head is resting on a ball type joint similar to the Clonetrooper's from the 3-packs only smaller. This really works well allowing you more than the usual side to side poses for the head that we're used to. Her legs don't have any articulation and her robe is somewhat pre-posed but nothing like Luminara's or Barriss's extreme look. Even with these small limitations I have found quite a few different cool poses. The paint job is great especially on the face where the detail is really noticable giving her a very deep focused look. Overall I'd have to say this figure met and in some ways even exceded my expectations. Good job Hasbro :cool:

Grade: A

plasticfetish
10-25-2003, 01:22 AM
Wow, cool ... glad to hear that you like it. Where did you end up finding her at?

Hellboy
10-25-2003, 05:28 PM
I found all 4 Wave 2 CW figures at Target PF. I usually find 90% of all my toys there first. :)

darthzirock
11-02-2003, 03:49 AM
Oh, man, this is totally bringing me down! Of course, the Asajj figure is great--that's why I can't find the chick! Now, you're telling everyone how cool she is, and I'll be lucky to ever lay my hands on one before Episode III comes out on DVD! :dead:

mrhat
11-02-2003, 10:28 PM
I agree, This fig is superb, Although the legs dont move, shes very menacing none the less. Hopefully the animated figs will be just as good...

darthzirock
11-03-2003, 03:37 AM
Her legs don't have any articulation and her robe is somewhat pre-posed but nothing like Luminara's or Barriss's extreme look. Even with these small limitations I have found quite a few different cool poses.

Actually, I found a couple of Asajj figures yesterday, and the 2 that I opened have articulated legs, Hellboy. The heavy skirt limits their range of motion, but the articulation is there, nonetheless. Too bad the skirt isn't removable, like the lower half of Mace Windu's robes and the ARC Trooper's skirt.

JetsAndHeels
11-03-2003, 07:45 AM
Actually, I found a couple of Asajj figures yesterday, and the 2 that I opened have articulated legs, Hellboy. The heavy skirt limits their range of motion, but the articulation is there, nonetheless. Too bad the skirt isn't removable, like the lower half of Mace Windu's robes and the ARC Trooper's skirt.
Well if you found her in Gastonia perhaps I should start hunting for her here in Raleigh. I know there isn't any guarantee on finding her but you have just given me some hope. May the force be with me!!

Hellboy
11-03-2003, 05:31 PM
Actually, I found a couple of Asajj figures yesterday, and the 2 that I opened have articulated legs, Hellboy. The heavy skirt limits their range of motion, but the articulation is there, nonetheless.

You're right darthzirock I should have been more clear and said she didn't have anything but the standard upper-leg articulation. I usually don't count that because it's the standard for most figures. I was refering to the fact that beyond that she had no articulation at the knees or ankles. Glad to hear you snagged one. Hope ya like it. :)

darthzirock
11-05-2003, 01:32 AM
You're right darthzirock I should have been more clear and said she didn't have anything but the standard upper-leg articulation. I usually don't count that because it's the standard for most figures. I was refering to the fact that beyond that she had no articulation at the knees or ankles. Glad to hear you snagged one. Hope ya like it. :)

Actually, I snagged three!!! Opened two for display, keeping one MOC. Also snagged another Aayla Secura (my sixth or seventh ... I've lost count!) during Target's $3.99 sale, because, of course, my local Target doesn't have a single CW wave 2 figure! However, I'm going to do an Aayla vs. Asajj diorama, with some CW-style customizing done to Aayla.

Now, I do have one very minor beef regarding Asajj. You know that pic at Hasbro's site that shows her holding her two lightsabers connected together? Well, I can't get either of mine to replicate that pose! Asajj-Ventress_lg.jpg (http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/images/news/Asajj-Ventress_lg.jpg) Once the lightsabers are linked, she can only get one hand to go on them, but the other hand can't reach the hilt of the second saber. :mad: I've tried every angle for her to grip them from, but it's just no good! Which, was kinda the entire point of making the handles so they could link and she'd have a double-bladed saber, like Maul's. Hey, wait a minute! I just took a better look at that Hasbro pic--she's not holding the sabers with both hands! Hasbro fudged the photo; it only looks like she's holding it two-handed, but her left hand is only in front of the hilt, not on it! :eek:

Cheaters!

RussUAE
11-06-2003, 06:37 AM
Also snagged another Aayla Secura (my sixth or seventh ...

Wow, good on you. What do you do with so many Aaylas?

JediTricks
12-19-2003, 02:22 AM
I just found this figure tonight, it's surprisingly good, better than the pics made it seem. I don't love the face sculpt and eye paint, she's a bit odd looking, nowhere near as cool as the art on the bubble insert card. I really like the way Hasbro redesigned the sabers since the prototype, the new hook & pin design not only makes it easier for them to make since they're the same one twice now, but it also looks better as a toy and functions well. How rare is THAT?!? I also appreciate the ball joints on the production figure not being those oversized uggos like those on the proto. Another neat thing about this figure is the ball-jointed head makes it easy to come off, so you can remove the cloak and then replace the head without it (or replace it with e2 Tatooine Padme's head, a very tight fit and it looks weird :D), cloakless Asajj looks pretty sharp IMO. I like the flared skirt, it's not too overposed but not too flat either, she needs a dynamic outfit without looking like an Unleashed figure and this one does the trick. All in all, I'd certainly recommend this figure.

Darthzirock, I got mine to hold her saber in both hands, not the way they show in that pic though. Just have the left hand facing upwards and the other downwards, and you can get the figure to hold it in both hands so the right side is pointing down and towards her while the left side is slightly up and away.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Just a little later than "at retail," I picked up this one for $5 online. This is a great figure; love the linking and fit-in-holsters sabers. Maybe this "Clone Wars" fad will catch on after all... :p