PDA

View Full Version : Man-Thing: Here's a Marvel comic movie you didn't see coming

El Chuxter
10-24-2003, 10:13 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=598&ncid=790&e=7&u=/nm/20031024/film_nm/film_manthing_dc

Marvel's 'Man-Thing' Movie Set for Summer Release
Thu Oct 23,10:41 PM ET

By Chris Gardner

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The Marvel comic-book character "Man-Thing," a vengeful creature born from the evil and injustices perpetrated against man and nature, will find its way to theaters on Aug. 27.

The Artisan Entertainment (news - web sites) film recently wrapped production in Sydney after an eight-week shoot. Brett Leonard, who previously shot a Siegfried and Roy movie, directed.

"Man-Thing" stars Jack Thompson, Rawiri Paratene, Matt Le Nevez, Rachel Taylor and Steve Bastoni.

"We have always felt that this character's story would translate incredibly well to the big screen as it mixes horrifying action with a truly mesmerizing and frightful anti-hero," said Marvel Studios CEO Avi Arad.

Wow. As was the case with the comics, how long will it be until folks realize it's a Swamp Thing knockoff? I give it five minutes.

Beast
10-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Actually the funny thing is that neither are really a knock off of the other. They originally appeared to close together, to have been a knockoff. Also note that Man-Thing actually appeared before Swamp Thing. Man-Thing debuted in Strange Tales, May 1971. And Swamp Thing debuted in House of Secrets #92, June-July, 1971. But Swampie didn't actually earn his own series, until Swamp Thing #1, Oct-Nov, 1972. Follow the links. :)

http://www.toonopedia.com/manthing.htm
http://www.toonopedia.com/swamp_th.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mabudonicus
10-25-2003, 11:30 AM
ohhh, whatever knows entertainment bur-no, wait..... Thrills at the touch of Man-Thing!!!
The original title was more like a horror-themed vacation spot for other marvel characters, IIRC... I had most fo the originals.....
If he is done totally right, sadly, the movie should be really hard to watch.... most of the Man thing's thoughts are done with sidebars in a narrative style, he doesn't really think or talk or anything, and he certainly shouldn't be as "rock and roll" as the Swamp Thing...
It could make a pretty decent b-grade horror flick, which is admittedly shooting pretty low, but who knows....

And Chux- I was actually talking about the "least likely" category with a buddy recently and Man Thing was near the top... oddly, it happens a lot where I predict the most ridiculous possible outcome for a situation and it comes true (Dee Snider, recently, f'rinstance... I totally predicted THAT far in advance... I was chilled and delighted to see it come to pass)
Hopefully there'll NEVER be a Kickers Inc film.... machine man would be fun though, 2001 style ;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-13-2004, 12:22 PM
I saw this pic over the Hulk boards i post at and thought i'd toss it up for the few fans....or the fan for whoever is looking forward to this movie.

I don't think it's been decided if this flick is going straight to video or not. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me. enjoy! :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-30-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm a gonna bump this one since the movie is going to premiere on Sci-Fi tonight. Just in case anyone watches this one . . . maybe, right?

Hellboy
04-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Entertainment Weekly gave this a pretty scathing review stating the Man-Thing doesn't even show up until the second hour and resembles a balding Chia Pet. lol

James Boba Fettfield
05-01-2005, 12:23 AM
I was surprised by it for about the first hour. Then when Man-Thing showed up and started tearing apart (literally!) the people in the swamp . . . well, I had to turn the channel.

Yeah, so I have the repeat of it on right now. :D Why do I welcome this abuse? Maybe I'll finish watching it this time.