PDA

View Full Version : Wyatt Earp and Tombstone!

Tycho
10-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Here are 2 movies I love.

I am not on any Kevin Costner hating bandwagon. I think he did an awesome job in Wyatt Earp, and the story is more interesting than Tombstone for this reason:

you get a longer story, how Wyatt and Doc Holiday first met, all the stuff that came together to make such a tough man, etc. The Dodge City stuff was great, as was Wyatt's transition from young wedding groom to homeless man and horse theif, to marshall, and outlaw.

Tombstone was much more fun because of Val Kilmer's great performance as Doc Holiday, and all the great one liners, and cowboy stunts, Johnny Ringo being fleshed out as a threat to Doc, while Curly Bill and Ike became Wyatt's and Virgil's enemies respectively.

The better Josie was in Wyatt Earp, but the girl playing her in Tombstone was also a lot of fun.

Kurt Russel did a good job of playing Wyatt though: "Are you going to do something about it, or just stand there and bleed?"

But Dennis Quaid's Doc Holiday, was also good: "All of you can kiss my Rebel Dick!"

"Tombstone: sounds awfully quiet."

These are great movies that I can't get enough of watching. I'd have loved to have fought in these times. It would have been harsh and tough, but glorious.

Just wouldn't have liked to drink the water...

2-1B
10-25-2003, 02:06 AM
Tombstone is a better movie in my opinion. :)

"Why Ed Bailey, are we cross? You know Ed, if we weren't friends I don't think I could bear it. There, now we can be friends again."

"Hurts, don't it?
You heard me! Skin that smokewagon and go to work."

"Johnny Tyler! Madcap!"

"Wyatt, I am ROLLING."

Tycho
10-25-2003, 03:08 AM
"Why Johnny Ringo! You look like someone just walked over your grave."

Exhaust Port
10-25-2003, 09:35 AM
I've only seen Tombstone. It's a great, fun for the whole family, action flick. I really like Val Kilmer and Bill Paxton's roles in the movie.

RooJay
10-28-2003, 01:26 PM
I admit that I have not yet seen Costner's Wyatt Earp. Just haven't yet gotten around to it.

Tombstone, however, is one of my absolute, all-time favorite films.

Two random thoughts on Tombstone:

- Kurt Russell bares a striking resemblance to the real Earp, and Val Kilmer bares more than a passing resemblnace to the real Doc Holliday. Great casting choices on all levels!

- The movie was victim of one of the all-time great Oscar night injustices - Val Kilmer should've won the Oscar that year for Best Supporting Actor, and yet he wasn't even nominated! :confused: :frus:

Tycho
10-28-2003, 03:57 PM
I thought Kilmer not only was nominated, but actually won?!

His Doc Holiday in Tombstone is a lot of fun.

But let me tell you: TODAY, go out and rent Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner.

You will not be disappointed! You'll see the making of a legend and how their true stories came about to be heading for destiny in Tombstone, Arizona.

Don't watch Tombstone again, right before this, you'll confuse yourself with all the different actors playing the Clantons and Curley Bill, etc.

Just enjoy this movie. You'll be shocked and pleasantly surprised.

It's so "watch over and over again" that you hardly realize it's a longer movie (3 hours I think). But you just can't stop watching it!

Young Guns fans might also want to know that Wyatt Earp tangled with Arkansas Dave Rudabough who rode with Billy the Kid - it's actually a bit of history that's involved with how Wyatt met Doc Holiday!

Just check this one out if you haven't seen Kevin Costner's Wyatt Earp. You will like it! Especially if you are a Tombstone fan.

RooJay
10-28-2003, 05:38 PM
I thought Kilmer not only was nominated, but actually won?!

Unfortunately, that was the same year that Martin Landau won for his portrayal of Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood. To be fair, Landau was very deserving of that award as well.

Sadly, the only award Mr. Kilmer won for the role was the MTV Movie Award for Best Male Performance.

2-1B
10-29-2003, 01:13 AM
"Well a daisy if you do."

"You're not wearing a bustle." :D

Turambar
10-29-2003, 11:50 PM
I'm not a fan of Kostner and just couldn't get into his version. I do love Kilmer's performance as Holiday, though. And, yeah, Kurt Russel looked exactly like Wyatt Earp in real life even though I thought his peformance was weak at times. So, I'll vote Tombstone as the better movie.

Tycho
07-31-2006, 01:45 AM
I just watched Wyatt Earp again this evening. Such a great movie!

"This man was going to shoot me down over nothing! So I'm taking his gun."

"If you do anything in this town we don't approve of, we have a legal right to shoot you down!"

"Kill them all!"

Again the music score was great for this film.

jonthejedi
07-31-2006, 03:11 AM
This was a funny topic for me to see pop up...since I love history & dig Westerns as much as sci-fi. I have to agree...as cool as Tombstone is, and yes, Kilmer stole the movie with many of his lines & mannerisms...I prefer Lawrence's Kasden's Wyatt Earp. It covers more of his questionable life, and isn't afraid to paint him as a not-so-perfect individual. Yes, he was a horse thief at one point in his early life. Many townspeople wanted him out because his methods were depriving the saloons & parlors of business. Hence, he started "cold-cocking" unruley patrons, so at the worst, they may return the business, albeit with a raging headache. Kasden's Earp also has, I believe, the most accurate depiction of the O.K. Corrall shootout. In reality, it was over in less than a minute, and happened to almost point blank range. For a good laugh, check out Kirk Douglas' & Burt Lancaster's version directed by the legendary John Sturges(The Great Escape), which has the gunfight lasting nearly 20 minutes. I hear Earp's coming to the HBO series Deadwood, so it will be interesting to see what they do with that. Both movies came out too close together, and with Wyatt Earp coming in 2nd, it suffered. Yes, a great score by James Newton Howard, who also scored Kevin's Waterworld.

Tycho
08-05-2006, 05:14 PM
I just watched and really enjoyed Tombstone again. It was so good for me, that as a matter of fact, I am really tempted to just watch it one more time!

It's just a fun movie and Val Kilmer is an awesome Doc Holliday. The cast was great:

Kurt Russel (Big Trouble in Little China)
Val Kilmer (Top Gun, Willow)
Sam Elliot (Gettysburg)
Bill Paxton (Aliens)
Michael Biehn (Terminator)
Terry O'Quin (Young Guns)
Stephen Lang (Gods And Generals)

I'm sure I'm forgetting others. This was a great group of performers!

Give them a 21 Gun Salute!

jonthejedi
08-06-2006, 04:02 AM
Lest we forget...a small turn from Sandman himself, Thomas Hayden Church. He has a great death scene at the OK Corrall gunfight. The one who prompts Wyatt(due to Val's eggin' him on with the winking) to utter "Oh my God..."

jonthejedi
08-06-2006, 04:04 AM
Oh yeah...and Billy Bob Thornton..."Why Johnny Tyler, you madcap!".

Tycho
08-06-2006, 12:55 PM
That's right! I don't know Billy Bob Thorton's movies that well, nor really what he looks like, but I did recognize his name in the credits and thanks to you - I now know what character he played.

"It's like I'm playing with my brother's kids! I told you before to get that cigar out of my face!

Is something on your mind, Mister?"

WE: "I just wanted to let you know you're sitting in my chair." Hehe.

2-1B
08-06-2006, 09:01 PM
What, no love for Frank Stallone? :(

Tycho
08-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Who did Frank Stallone play in Tombstone?

Who is Frank Stallone? Is he related to Sylvester?