PDA

View Full Version : Are Midichlorines Sperm?

plo koon 200
10-26-2003, 01:38 PM
I know this may sound like a stupid question but how else can a woman be impragnated. Why does Anakin have so many Midichlorines? Why are the people with the highest concentration of midichlorines male? Are those femlaes on the Council really females or just look like it or were they mutant females? Just some questions to pose. So what do you think are midichlorines sperm or what?

scruffziller
10-26-2003, 01:41 PM
No, the sperm are cells and are about as big as any other cell. I don't think they mean sperm cells living in other cells.

JediTricks
10-26-2003, 07:53 PM
I still think the shooting script leaves this whole issue vague enough to allow assumption that Qui-Gon is wrong about the midichlorians conceiving the child. The underlined part of the following passage is what was in the script but not the film:

QUI-GON: Who was his father?

SHMI: There was no father, that I know of... I carried him, I gave him birth... I can't explain what happened.Heck, even in the film, Qui-Gon is not claiming he's sure whether the midis did or didn't conceive the child:

YODA: A vergence, you say?

MACE WINDU: Located around a person?

QUI-GON: A boy... his cells have the highest concentration of midi-chlorians I have seen in a life form. It is possible he was conceived by the midi-chlorians.
My theory is pretty complicated about all this, intertwined with Qui-Gon being totally wrong about midis and other stuff, but even with all that out, Shmi was a slave since before Ani was born, it's entirely possible she's blocked out the memory of Ani's conception or it was blocked by an outside source or it got lost in the horrors of her life from that time among a sea of miserable things she was made to do as a slave.

JON9000
10-26-2003, 08:36 PM
must... resist... urge... to make... tasteless joke! :crazed:

TheDarthVader
11-14-2003, 01:56 PM
JediTricks, you forget that Anakin is the "chosen one". He is the one that brings balance to the force in the end. If he is the chosen one, the prophesy must hold true that the chosen one will be conceived by midichlorians. If Anakin was not conceived by midichlorians then he is not the chosen one, which is not true.

JediTricks
11-14-2003, 10:14 PM
We don't know he's the chosen one, the dialogue in the script from everybody but Qui-Gon only says he "may" be the chosen one.

MACE WINDU: He is too old. There is already too much anger in him.

QUI-GON: He is the chosen one...you must see it.

YODA: Clouded, this boy's future is. Masked by his youth.

OBI-WAN rushes over to QUI-GON, who is dying.

OBI-WAN: Master! Master!

QUI-GON: It is too late...It's...

OBI-WAN: No!

QUI-GON: Obi-Wan promise...promise me you'll train the boy...

OBI-WAN: Yes, Master...

QUI-GON: He is the chosen one...he will...bring balance...train him!

YODA: Confer on you, the level of Jedi Knight the Council does. But agree on you taking this boy as your Padawan learner, I do not.
OBI-WAN: Qui-Gon believed in him. I believe in Qui-Gon.

YODA: The Chosen One the boy may be; nevertheless, grave danger I fear in his training.

OBI-WAN: Master Yoda, I gave Qui-Gon my word. I will train Anakin. Without the approval of the Council if I must.

YODA: Qui-Gon's defiance I sense in you. Need that, you do not. Agree, the Council does. Your apprentice, young Skywalker will be.

TheDarthVader
11-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Funny how those that believe Luke is the chosen one have no script evidence. No one in Star Wars ever says, "The chosen one Luke may be." Because he is not the chosen one. Yoda never tells Luke about the prophesy or tells him he is the chosen one. Nor does Kenobi does ever tell Luke either of these. Anakin is the chosen one. Luke is never discussed in the movies as even a possibility of being the chosen one. And I am one of those people who believe that Anakin is the one. :)
That being said, he was conceived my midis. Because if one is true, then the other is true. Oh! Luke was never conceived by midichlorians. He is a product of Anakin and Padme. Notice this line:

Qui Gon: It is possible he was conceived by midichlorians.

Mace: You refer to the prophesy of the one who will bring balance to the force.

There is my evidence of why Luke can not possibly be the chosen one (deductive reasoning).

JediTricks
11-17-2003, 10:35 PM
I didn't say anything about Luke. Maybe there is no chosen one, maybe the prophecy is just weapons-grade balonium. I think it's odd how some SW fans put all this faith into "the prophecy" and "the chosen one", yet have zero details on what either mean.

Your deductive reasoning is suspect because it's taking the lines out of context of the scene, it actually goes:

QUI-GON: I have encountered a vergence in the Force.

YODA: A vergence, you say?

MACE WINDU: Located around a person?

QUI-GON: A boy... his cells have the highest concentration of midi-chlorians I have seen in a life form. It is possible he was conceived by the midi-chlorians.

MACE WINDU: You're referring to the prophesy of the one who will bring balance to the Force...you believe it's this boy

QUI-GON: I don't presume

YODA: But you do! Revealed your opinion is.

QUI-GON: I request the boy be tested.
Qui-Gon doesn't mention the conception of the boy initially, he first mentions a vergence, when asked, he confirms it's around a person, then he says the kid has the highest concentration of midis, and only then does he offer an opinion about the boy possibly being conceived by the midis. It seems to me that the empirical data is what Mace is responding to when he mentions the prophecy, and Yoda even refers to Qui-Gon's comments as opinion rather than evidence.

plasticfetish
11-18-2003, 12:11 AM
Probably gonna have to see what happens in episode three. Might be a twist shedding more light on the whole thing ... I'd (like to) assume that it was all left sort of vague for a good reason.

A prophecy is simply a prediction and I'd think that any prediction can be open to literal inaccuracies. In a manner of speaking, I suppose you could say that Anakin does bring balance to the force ... I guess. If getting rid of all Jedi and Sith except for Luke means balance, then I suppose that's it.

As far as the Midi-conception thing goes ... perhaps that's not meant to be taken quite so literally.

plasticfetish
11-19-2003, 02:36 AM
OK. Now maybe someone else can post in the "Episode I: The Phantom Menace" area so that my name isn't forever parked under the word "sperm" on the index page. :cry:

plo koon 200
11-19-2003, 02:03 PM
SPOILER WARNING

According to the spy reports when Yoda finds the Sith Relic it is revealed that it is the Chosen One who will destroy the MASTER of the SITH and hence the SITH APPRENTICE will also die. Therefore, it would mean that Anakin is the chosen one because he kills Palps.

TheDarthVader
11-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Thanks for that information plo koon! If proven true, I would be proven right in this arguement.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUI-GON: Who was his father?

SHMI: There was no father, that I know of... I carried him, I gave him birth... I can't explain what happened.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

George Lucas was smart to cut the "that I know of" line out because he knew it was stupid and did not fit with what he was trying to show. It would be dumb for her to say this and then at the end say "I can't explain what happened" if she had "relations" with a man she would not have said "I can't explain what happened". Shmi is a smart lady and she would have no need to lie to Qui Gon and lead him to believe that there was no father when she knows she had "relations" with someone. There is no motive for her to want to deceive qui-gon.

Anakin brings balance to the force by helping exterminate the jedi thus leaving Yoda and Kenobi plus a "new hope". And Palpy and Vader are left, thus balancing the force. (I am one who believes the force naturally tilts a bit to the light side of the force). So with the young Luke and Leia, the force is balanced.

Once Vader kills palpy, luke is left and the force is balanced according to my theory that I stole from someone on this board. (Force naturally tilts towards the light side).

Also, Yoda at the end of EpI says, "the chosen one the boy may be". So he does not throw the idea out...I think deep down Yoda knows it is true but since he and some other council members sensed that "danger" (in the boy), he is reluctant to approve the training. Because if something does go bad...who will it reflect on?? Partially, the jedi council for approving the training.