PDA

View Full Version : Should the Original Trilogy cast be recalled to make SW sequels?

Tycho
10-26-2003, 09:36 PM
This one is sure to be a whopper.

Rumors have always been around that there will be a sequel trilogy for Star Wars -that is movies after Return of the Jedi, the fabled episodes 7,8,& 9.

Lucas has said that SW is about the rise and fall of ANAKIN Skywalker told in E1-6.

Star Wars is as popular as ever with whole new generations into it.

Some old school fans claim to be very disappointed with the new SW movies.

Expanded Universe books, comics, cartoons, and video games have been carefully licensed to tell ONE on-going history for the SW universe dating from 25,000 years before ANH, to over 30 years afterwards.

Han Solo and Princess Leia had three children, all Jedi, the twins Jaina and Jacen (about 22 years old now) and Anakin Solo, killed at about age 19.

Chewbacca was killed in action over 5 years ago in the EU chronology from its furthest point in the SW future.

Luke Skywalker married Mara Jade, and they have one son, Ben Skywalker, about 3 years old now.

Probably millions of dollars have been invested in this continuity by the fans, and it has been depended upon by science fiction authors as reknowned as Timothy Zahn, Michael Stackpole, James Luceno, Bob Salvatore, Ann Crispin, Troy Denning, Matthew Stover, Jude Watson, John Ostrander, Aaron Allston, Kevin J. Anderson, and more. George Lucas had laid out guidelines for what would be allowed, and has designated special staff members like LFL's Chris Cerasi to make sure stuff stays in line with what Lucas is intending, and nothing contradicts with the films.

All kinds of possibilities exist for Star Wars to see more motion pictures in the future.

This poll is about what YOU would want.

Tycho
10-26-2003, 09:53 PM
I voted: "Yes, taking place after New Jedi Order, also starring Jacen and Jaina Solo."

I could live with their being nothing but the comics and books, but just in case, I think it'd be good to vote for something, as the OT cast is still capable of doing 3 more films.

Here's why:

I'd like to see Jaina Solo and Jacen Solo in their prime. They would be the same age as Luke and Leia were in the OT and Anakin and Padme were in the PT. They'd play the new band of heroes very well.

Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill are all able to reprise their roles as Han, Leia, and Luke Skywalker, at their exact ages they are now.

After NJO, Han should be entering his 60's, and Luke and Leia, should be entering their 50's.

With physical conditioning, make-up, and some readjusting to their old roles, they are perfect for pulling it off, and they'd remain the only actors to play their characters in major features.

The younger audience can identify with the Solo kids as major characters, and EU fans will get to see Mara (Jade) Skywalker in action, as well as the return of the New Jedi Order.

Beast
10-26-2003, 11:38 PM
According to the last thing that Lucas ever told Mark Hammil about a possible 7,8,9 would be that Luke would be the only main returning character. Other then the two droids of course. Basically he'd be taking the 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' role in the new films, rebuilding the Jedi Order. I think that's the best idea if they ever do anything like this. So basically I can't choose anything on the poll, really. Since it would be an all new cast, with a returning character, and the droids. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
10-27-2003, 12:33 AM
Hmm, my first choice is 9 because my faith in George's ability to create has slipped significantly in the past few years.

Having said that, in a perfect world I'd prefer choice 1. That is, if it were done correctly. We can argue over what that means some other time.

Tycho
10-27-2003, 01:17 AM
JarJar: I think this is what you want to vote for:

"No, I want a new film to take place far into the future, with all new characters."

The droids were never main characters, and Luke as a very old man would not be either. Therefore we'd need a whole new cast for hero characters to represent the young generation of the new Star Wars.

Stillakid, feel free to discuss your Luke vs. Leia ideas here, as it could gain the largest exposure for your highly original ideas and be a valuable angle for this discussion to explore.

stillakid
10-27-2003, 01:21 AM
Stillakid, feel free to discuss your Luke vs. Leia ideas here, as it could gain the largest exposure for your highly original ideas and be a valuable angle for this discussion to explore.

Oy, did I post them somewhere else so I can cut and paste? :confused:

Pendo
10-27-2003, 04:07 AM
I'd rather a new movie not be made, but if it was I hope the original cast is called up for it.

PENDO!

Kidhuman
10-27-2003, 03:53 PM
If they do make sequels, they should recall the cast and do Heir to the Empire.

scruffziller
10-27-2003, 04:11 PM
I chose the first one. It would be somewhat difficult to come up with a whole new set of movies for the timeline after ROTJ and not interfere with the already set EU. I am thinking something more like just before NJO where we would still the aging of the charachters. I still feel the movies need to retain their cannon status if done with GL in the captain's chair. EU refs are okay but would rather not have them on this posistion. A triliogy in between 3 and 4 would be very excellent too. I would like to see them do alot of the EU stuff in movie form but don't really see that as a plausible goal since I want to see all of them. The pure CGI movie route with the actors' voices would be more practical like for SOTE because of the actor's age and salary.

JediTricks
10-27-2003, 10:07 PM
Jeez Tycho, there's as many choices as there are votes right now. ;)

As much as I'd love to see sequel ideas like the one I had about the "Leia trilogy" come to pass, I no longer have confidence in Lucas making a decent film anymore and couldn't take another sub-quality SW film.

If my idea for the "Leia trilogy" came about, I'd want to see it borrow from some EU but not try to adhere to it, this would be a new path on the SW timeline.

Turbowars
10-27-2003, 11:45 PM
JarJar: I think this is what you want to vote for:

"No, I want a new film to take place far into the future, with all new characters."

Wow, JJB and I see eye to eye for once.;) Though I did vote what is above, "No, I want a new.......

stad
10-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Although the age of the cast would not really make it feasible, I think the best option would be for the Zahn novels. Let's be honest, whether you like the EU or not, the Zahn books are largely responsible for the resurgence of interest in Star Wars, and I credit them directly for building up the interest and buzz to re-launch the toys (at least as far as the toy climate was in '95). Plus, out of all the EU books, Zahn's stand out as some of the best, and you could have all three movies fairly easy, since the writing is already done. Oh well, just my opinion.

LusiferSam
10-28-2003, 01:22 AM
E3 should be the end. No more, please. It's not that I haven't enjoyed the prequels, it's more magic has thinned. And recalling the original cast won't bring that back. I think any sequels or any more prequels are a bad idea all around.
But if I had pick one I'd go with Zahn's trilogy. Its by far the best of the EU martial and stays true to the Star Wars them. There no way I watch any of this NJO junk. It's garbage and has done irreversible damage to the classic charters.
Oh and I almost forgot no TV movies either. I like the Ewoks, but to two TV movies are just garbage.

Tycho
10-28-2003, 02:32 AM
Zahn's books were great, but how are you going to make Carrie Fisher look 27 years old?

To make the Heir to the Empire trilogy a movie series has some strong support here, but do you all actually want Han, Luke, Leia, and Lando re-cast? Somebody else playing their roles just 5 years after ROTJ?

Han Solo is 38 in HTTE, not 60!

And again, Leia is age 27!

Furthermore, many people are choosing to make not-Expanded Universe (EU) related movies with the Original Trilogy cast.

Anyone care to comment whether the EU is just so DISLIKED, or if people just want something they haven't seen or read before, or if people here are fans, but just never cared to read Star Wars books?

I myself think Ann Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy (Paradise Snare, Hutt Gambit, Rebel Dawn) would make incredible movies, between E3 and E4), but the poll asks about returning the original cast. Obviously Han and Lando would have to be recast and played by actors 19 and 21 respectively. Peter Mahew could still play Chewbacca though.

But I still voted on the post-NJO so that the movies would be something new that I hadn't read before, and the OT cast could return and play their own characters, at the present age of the actors today.

60 year old Harrison, 60 year old Han Solo.

Billy Dee Williams, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher could all reprise their roles.

But I could easily enjoy just watching the 6 movies over and over again if they never did any more.

Look at Young Guns - it's impossible to make any more movies for that franchise, but many of us still like watching them.

NRPeace
10-28-2003, 08:50 AM
No, it's over. Let it be over.

jedi master sal
10-28-2003, 09:41 AM
I answered this same question a few days ago in my local Fanforce. Here was my response to that....It's LONGGGGG.

[Start Original message]

I wouldn't mind another trilogy. MORE TOYS.. Seriously though, I'd like the idea of the third trilogy being set several years after the originals. Maybe only have Luke, R2 and 3PO as returning characters. I'm sure Mark Hamill would do it again and the droids are easily redone, even if Anthony Daniels were not available or dare I say dead by the point of the third trilogy. No real need for Han and/or Leia. Maybe a cameo, but that's about it. I DO NOT want to see the VONG! I haven't like the concept of them since I first head of it.

Possibly the third trilogy can revolve around Luke's Jedi Academy, a resurgence in anti-alien sentiments and a new Darth. Possibly one that is an Alien to help bolster the other side of the anti-alien sentiment. Possibly many of Luke's students who are non-human are sucked into the trappings of those feelings and turn to the darkside and Luke and the rest of his students have to not only take down the new Darth but either try to bring back the dark Jedi or slay them. While this is going on, the new Darth is amassing a fleet of starships of varying degree to take Coruscant.

In doing this many of the stories that have been written can be "touched" upon in some manner and at least partially realized on the big screen.

Ep 7: A New Evil
This sets up the academy and the introduction of a new Darth and the start of anti-alien sentiments. (In fact the new Darth could be fueling the sentiments to his on end. We've known Sith to be manipulative. Hey maybe even a Bothan Sith!) Non-human Jedi leave the order to follow the new Darth. Some lightsabers battles and maybe a couple of small space battles between non-humans and humans. With the culmination of the new Darth Destroying the academy from space. (No planet destruction, but still powerful)

Ep 8: Rise of the Sith
With the academy gone, the remaining Jedi must band together and come up with a plan to take out the new Darth and find a way to bring back to the light as many of their fallen Jedi as possible. Some non-human Jedi who have not gone over, volunteer to infiltrate the other side. The plan starts to work, but then the new Darth gets wind of the plan (maybe a traitorous Jedi) and take those non-human Jedi prisoner. Part of the rest of the movie revolves around Luke and some other Jedi rescuing them. Coming to a clash between fallen Jedi/good Jedi, Luke and the new Darth-in which Luke is wounded BADLY, and a traitor amoung the group of Jedi sent to infiltrate the bad side. Also while this thread is going on, the Sith fleet is conquering planet after planet and many non-human planets are aligning themselves with the Sith due to long standing persecution from humans. Many battles between New Republic forces and Aliend worlds in space ensue with key victories for the Sith.

Ep 9: The End of an Era
With Luke near death, and the Jedi on the run from a new Darth ever growing in power the Republic stand on the verge of collapse. Coruscant itself is seeing many battles of human against non-human in it's "streets". The new Darth sees this as an opportunity to unleash a new weapon against the capitol planet and advances his fleet to the city-world. The new weapon is...ready for it...a device that can create small black holes. The new Darth plans on using it against Coruscant, ever ending the human domination of the galaxy.

Luke (acting very much like Obi-wan and Yoda) frailly (is that a word) teaches his remaining students about his past mistakes and how they can conquer them before even making them. These last Jedi now ARMORED (no robes) assemble in new starfighters to blast their way into the Sith fleet and confront the dark Jedi for the last time.

Some non-human worlds that are still part of the Republic are now being fought over, heavily, but the Republic is holding. Slowly while the Sith fleet is advanceing to Coruscant, the Republic is turning the tide and human-friendly aliens are taking up the governments again on there respective worlds.

The new Darth is not concentrating on that and that is his downfall. He at this point is clearly consumed by power and only has one main objective-the destruction of Coruscant. When the Sith fleet arrives at Coruscant it finds minimal resistance. (Almost TOO little resistance but again the new Darth is blinded by hatred to notice this.) While the new device is being readied for use (which is installed into a huge starship and will shoot a pulse of blueish-purple energy near Coruscant to start the reaction and the black whole) a huge armada of Republic forces jumps in from hyperspace and a massive space battle ensues. While this is going on the Jedi breach the new Darth's flagship and more lightsaber battles take place. A few Jedi make it to the new Darth after dispatching the dark Jedi. The new Darth kills all but one easily. The last Jedi is on the brink of death, when Luke appears from nowhere to take on the new Darth. A spectacuar lightsaber battle occurs and the black hole process has started. Luke knows the only way he can stop this os to sacrifice himself but he must take the new Darth with him. He carefully leads the new Darth (While in battle with him) to an escape vessel (not a pod). Once the two are on board, Luke uses the force to start up the vessel and fly it into the path of the destructive energy. With the greatest of the lightside users (Luke) and the greatest of the darkside users (at the time) being decimated by the desructive energy a force energy is released destroying the black hole ship. The last Jedi escapes just before this happens. The galaxy is saved from evil again....

Another take on it could be that instead of just the Alien jedi being taken prisoner it is also one of the Solo twins. One can turn to the darkside (that's the one who rats out the others and is the traitor) and the final Jedi left after Luke's Death is the other twin or possibly with the death of Luke the evil twin is shocked and comes back to the Light.

Okay there are holes in this, but it sets up a story for a start.

What do you all think?

[End original message]

I thought that all up in about 15-20 minutes. While it may not be a masterpiece, it's a decent enough story. Certainly alot of space battles, lightsaber fights. Sacrifice, family. About the only thing I didn't put in is some kind of a Love story.

Maybe Mara Jade could be introduced into the story. Finally giving Luke a true love story thread and not one with his....sister, eeewwww! Ha ha, I just had to put that in there.

Funny, I never recall hearing what Lucas said to Hamill about 7,8,and 9 but here it is as an outline.

Well, what DO you all think?

jeffonthego
10-28-2003, 11:42 AM
I once wanted there to be three trilogies, mostly just to see what happened to Leia, Han, Luke, etc. If it did happen, I always thought it would be much latter, with them as an old generation in the background, with action surrounding a new generation, ie, children of Luke and/or Leia (haven't read EU). Also thought that it would make dramatic sense, with the prequels as the fall, the OT as the redemption and the third trilogy as the decisive battle between sides - call it the decisive round best out of three between the good side and the dark side.

However, after watching two-thirds of the prequels, it is clear now that Star Wars is really about Anakin Skywalker - his rise, his fall and his redemption. So, in that sense, the two trilogies actually already fulfills the classic dramatic curve. Whereas I once thought a third trilogy would see remnants of the dark side come back only to be finally and decisively wiped out, I now believe that Anakin is the chosen one and that he does bring balance to the force at the end of ROTJ. So, bring on EpIII and let us leave the six movies to stand together in fulfilment of George Lucas's original vision. For all the complaining about the prequels, I believe that when all is said and done, the six movies will stand together as a compelling dramatic arc and a fun, escapist universe.

stillakid
10-28-2003, 12:19 PM
IEp 7: A New Evil
This sets up the academy and the introduction of a new Darth and the start of anti-alien sentiments. ...
Well, what DO you all think?

It's okay, but I'm not a fan of bringing in another generic "Darth" or bad guy. Just like Maul, it lacks any deep emotional motivation for the audience. One of the reasons ESB was so well received was because the evil bad guy from the first film was given some deeper meaning. He wasn't just like a random pit bull (like Maul) running around choking people.

That is why Luke is the only obvious choice to go bad in a Post-quel. We already know a lot about him, and watching him unwittingly repeat the sins of the father would grab audiences from the get-go. Every other option is just random Sci Fi EU fodder. One EU story is as viable as any other if the trilogy were to essentially abandon the main character(s) so that they were merely involved in random generic battles with new bad guys. At least with the "Luke gone bad" scenario, the outcome isn't entirely obvious and audiences will sit on the edges of their seats trying to figure out what his fate will be. The other stuff is just predictable, good guys will win, bad guys will lose. Yawn.

skeeziks22
10-28-2003, 02:48 PM
I also voted for post NJO w/Jacen and Jaina (but Ben could also be there as a young upstart). I would love to see the original cast play characters their own age... but take a back seat to the younger characters like Obi-Wan did in ANH.

The storyline is largely about a family of skywalkers... no matter what GL says. The rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker was a part of that story... but most of the original trilogy was dominated by Luke's journey (I believe there even was some old reference to that in original title possibilities).

Vader would still play a vital role in the next movies setting the idea in youg minds that no matter how far you slip you can always be redeemed... Jacen and Jaina have to deal with the passing of their brother at some point (in EU they always face someone to fight so haven't really dealt yet). Jaina has already dabbled in the Dark Side and is a hot head... she could easily go that way... step in Luke and see what he can do to stop it... Sacrifice himself???

I can see a great trilogy based in this time frame, and finallizing the redemption of the Skywalker name... not just Anakin Skywalker I himself.

Devo
10-28-2003, 02:53 PM
I seem to remember Harrison Ford saying he would not be interested in playing Han Solo again, Indiana Jones yes, Han Solo no.

I'd like to see more films set in the Star Wars universe, not necessarily involving the characters we're familiar with. Although I'd prefer if Lucas would hand over the reins to new writers and directors. He has no idea how to balance special effects with those other pesky elements of filmmaking. It was only by chance that the original trilogy were the correct balance due to studio pressure and limited technology etc etc as we prequel haters repeat time and time again and just don't seem to get tired of.

El Chuxter
10-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Even if the films are set in the post-NJO time frame, I doubt most of the cast would or could return:

Mark Hamill: could easily play an old Luke
Harrison Ford: could play old Han, but would he?
Anthony Daniels: would jump at the chance to be C-3PO
Kenny Baker: ditto
Peter Mayhew: double ditto
Billy Dee Williams: unless Lucas wants to completely invalidate the EU's old Lando as still being a dashing, swashbuckling (married) ladykiller and replace him with a cranky old fat guy, nope
Carrie Fisher: :eek: She went from being Leia to the ugliest creature this side of Jabba's Palace! EU Leia is still supposed to be attractive, given her age. Plus, since Carrie wouldn't agree to be in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back unless Kevin Smith agreed there'd be no Leia references, it's doubtful she would do it.
Dennis Lawson: haven't seen lately
Shannon Baksa: she's a little young (even though Mara is still supposed to be an uber-hottie as an aging mother), and can she act?

I'm thinking the way of the cartoon is best myself, regardless of when it's set. With just Luke, C-3PO, and R2-D2 (my guess is Lucas wouldn't personally agree to off Chewie, then bring him back), it could be a great live-action movie, but that's not exactly all the original cast.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-28-2003, 04:33 PM
Having the original cast back for another movie or series of movies would greatly cheapen the OT and could be a potential bigger disappointment than the prequels.

I would not want to see any of them back at all, except for a few minor exceptions like the droids or Chewie, who I consider minor characters. If another trilogy is to be made it would not fit with the theme of the first two unless you bring Anakin back as a ghost Jedi or something.

No more movies please. Unfortunately the series is coming to a close but that's the way it is.

angellus
10-28-2003, 04:53 PM
If there's a God in heaven, Lucas will never again revisit the original cast of characters. The special editions and prequels have done enough damage to the existing trilogy; to see Lucas move ahead and destroy everything AFTER Jedi is utterly horrifying. Let's leave Luke, Han and Leia hugging around the Ewok camp fire and Lando clapping off-beat in the background. We don't need to see Luke donate his Midichlorians to the local Jedi blood bank and somehow resurrect Anakin's spirit for Old Timers Day at the Pod Races. And besides, Harrison Ford wouldn't be caught dead in another Star Wars movie anyway. But Lucas could always digitally create a Han Solo, couldn't he? Who needs actors when we have computer images?

10-28-2003, 09:28 PM
I would have said yes before the last two came out, but considering how badly bungled they have been, I'm terrified what would happen with/ to the characters we know and love. Imagine it - More burp/ fart jokes! CG Han Solo's dodging asteroids with a jetpack! Half - hour CG comedy/ battles where Luke dies, is resurected and turns out he's been possesed by the ghost of the emperor, who is his great- uncle. Political intrigue leading up to...Nothing! Carrie Fisher's head CG'd onto a younger, nuder woman's body. Awful dialoge and worse directing.
Let's face it, George is a wonderful storyteller with a keen notion of collective mythologies but he can't direct actors ("Faster -more intense!") and now has NO checks and balances when it comes to his imagination - not neccessarily a good thing. The reason the first two were so good was because of Gary Kurtz, Alan Dean Foster, Lawrence Kasdan and Irvin Kirshner. The problem I've had with the new ones especially is that he was "so concerned with whether or not he could, he never stopped to think whether or not he should". I'm afraid he's gotten soft, and lost his edge.
Prove me wrong with number three and we'll talk about sequals again.

Jaff
10-29-2003, 12:24 AM
I love star wars. I adore star wars, and perhaps I like it way to much as a father, husband, and grown man. Sooner or later though I will be glad for it to just end the trilogy. I know that some people just want it to go on forever, but sooner or later if films kept coming Star Wars would loose it's magic. I am a very strict lover of the movies and not EU stuff. IMO 95% of the books written are unimaginable, desperate writings of poor talented sci-fi writters. They are just written more for a young wishful audience than for a perfectionist audience. Since perfection cannot always be achieved like ESB why risk the tainting of the trilogy further. Lots of people scream about how bad Episode I was (I love episode I). The acting in Episode II was horrid (talk about quality control). Star Wars is going down hill just a little even though I don't want to admit this myself (from a avid fan point of view).

I guess I have to go back to the beginning of it all. I remember seeing the first SW in a drive in in 1978, and I was mistified because I never saw anything like it before. Then in 1980 ESB hit, and it was BETTER!!!!! Finally in 1983 Vader pulled his mask off and we saw Jabba the Hutt! I was floored. In 1999 I really releshed the event of Episode I and I enjoyed exploring the film. A year ago I was not that impressed with Episode II. It was really poorly directed and lost the generated excitement of Episode I. III will be great, but what else is there to get excited about. Further movies can only push the special effects envelope, not the emotional envelope. It's loosing it's grip on both areas. Why risk damaging the films further, esspecially if they are going to bassed on bad paced EU novels.

angellus
10-29-2003, 10:17 AM
The reason the first two were so good was because of Gary Kurtz, Alan Dean Foster, Lawrence Kasdan and Irvin Kirshner.

You forgot about Joseph Campbell! Lucas met with Campbell while he was writing the script for A New Hope and it was Campbell that gave him a lot of guidance and critiques. Too bad he passed away. I'm sure his advice would've helped the prequels. Either that or reading the script for Episode I would've made him drop dead!

stillakid
10-30-2003, 09:24 AM
You forgot about Joseph Campbell! Lucas met with Campbell while he was writing the script for A New Hope and it was Campbell that gave him a lot of guidance and critiques. Too bad he passed away. I'm sure his advice would've helped the prequels. Either that or reading the script for Episode I would've made him drop dead!

And Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz, who were the one's who cleaned up his godawful first drafts of The Star Wars and turned his great imagination into a watchable film. Where the hell were they (and Kasdan) for the Prequels!? :mad:

kool-aid killer
10-30-2003, 10:40 AM
I would like to see a movie detailing Vaders hunt for the final Jedis such as Obi, Yoda, Mace, and whoever else were the last of their kind. How he went about killing them or why he never was able to confirm if Yoda and Obi had died. I would like to know how they went about hiding from him and the Empire. I think that would be a pressing matter to him and Sidious.

skeeziks22
10-30-2003, 08:18 PM
This may sound kind of lame to a lot of people, but I have been thinking that a TV series based on the novels (especially the likes of the Junior Jedi and Young Jedi series) would be great.

The idea of Vader hunting the remaining Jedi would work good as a TV series as well... it would harken back to series such as The Fugitive, Incredible Hulk, and more recently The Highlander... all of these are about one main character attemtping to achieve one overarching goal and never being in the same place for more than one episode. It would be a dark and depressing TV series though... but would eliminate the desire for an Episode 3.5 (III.V in roman numerals?)

Tycho
10-31-2003, 01:14 AM
I read and loved the Young Jedi Knights series. Anakin Solo's adventures with Tahiri were ok, too.

The former about the Solo twins would make a great TV show though.

The other idea, about Vader hunting down the Jedi would be great. I'd love for it to star a Jedi like Quinlan Vos, and tell his story as Vader hunts him, season by season!

mastermatt24
11-01-2003, 03:46 PM
The actors are getting older which would make them fit (not physicaly) ;) for a role if they would make a NJO movie. I think The New Jedi Order series is great, like the Zahn novels. Even though I like HTTE, I dont think Lucas would cast the orginals, as said by tycho, they are too old. [/B][COLOR=Red] Oh well, I would be happy with more books, and maybe a GOOD TV series.

Croaker
11-02-2003, 05:00 PM
According to the last thing that Lucas ever told Mark Hammil about a possible 7,8,9 would be that Luke would be the only main returning character. Other then the two droids of course. Basically he'd be taking the 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' role in the new films, rebuilding the Jedi Order. I think that's the best idea if they ever do anything like this. So basically I can't choose anything on the poll, really. Since it would be an all new cast, with a returning character, and the droids. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I agree with this.
Should have absolutely nothing to do with EU.

skeeziks22
11-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Tycho,
I think this thread has lead to another poll question... something around fans like or dislike of the Expanded Universe and how it fits in with the movies. Mainly post '95 novels/comics, but also how about the Droids and Ewoks cartoon... the new Clone Wars cartoon... better yet, Splinter in the Minds Eye?

I'm not for making any movies/tv shows/cartoons that contradict the EU novels (at least the ones written since '95). That would be a real slap in the face of all those people who have worked to expand the SW universe. Most people agree that GL should accept the help of other writers when putting his stories together... yet a majority of the people in this poll also would like to see all those people who have helped ignored if new movies are to be made. EU sets a stage that, in my mind, would HAVE to be followed if OT sequels were to be made.

stillakid
11-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Tycho,
I think this thread has lead to another poll question... something around fans like or dislike of the Expanded Universe and how it fits in with the movies. Mainly post '95 novels/comics, but also how about the Droids and Ewoks cartoon... the new Clone Wars cartoon... better yet, Splinter in the Minds Eye?

I'm not for making any movies/tv shows/cartoons that contradict the EU novels (at least the ones written since '95). That would be a real slap in the face of all those people who have worked to expand the SW universe. Most people agree that GL should accept the help of other writers when putting his stories together... yet a majority of the people in this poll also would like to see all those people who have helped ignored if new movies are to be made. EU sets a stage that, in my mind, would HAVE to be followed if OT sequels were to be made.

Interesting thought, but I can't help but wonder what the actual percentage is of people who have ever really read an Expanded Universe story muchless all of them? I've got to suspect that a ridiculously small portion of the Star Wars fanbase, whether hardcore, medium, or those who just see the feature films in passing read any of it. Given that, having another trilogy that blows off any EU continuity would be a travesty...to only a teenie weeny handful of people out there relative to the overall audience. So, the question becomes, would the third trilogy be for that small percentage of hardcore fans or for the larger, more casual viewing audience?

Turambar
11-03-2003, 10:15 PM
I've enjoyed some of the EU novels, but basically all they are is someone's imagination of what is happening in Lucas's universe. Even if I enjoy them, I don't consider them canon, and in a lot of cases, I like my ideas about the characters' backgrounds or what happens to the cast after rotj better than those of the EU writers. So I think it's fine that some writers publish their ideas, but barring a sequel trilogy that would create a new foundation, the non-film stuff is really left to the viewers' imaginations.

skeeziks22
11-04-2003, 03:03 PM
The last two posts are exactly why i voted for setting any new movies well after the last novel. You would have a set of new characters, but there is no reason to drift from what has already been established. It's not as if Lucas hasn't set a bar for these stories. Each story, or story arc must be approved by people that work for him. The Clone Wars cartoons is a perfect example of this. He has little to do with them, but is making sure they fit in with his vision.

The novels are also almost always best sellers, so obviously someone is reading them. I have read each and every novel as it comes out, and some are much better than others. Some straight up suck, but others are amazing. Many people could use that last sentence when describing the movies. Just because we don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be accepted as "canon."

By the way, do we accept Empire and Jedi as "cannon?" GL didn't direct either of those so do they count? (ok he was a writer and producer) My point is how much do fans in general want to exclude when accepting Star Wars cannon?

I wonder how much GL would include? Anyone ever ask him what he considers part of the SW universe and what he thinks should not be included? Has he read all the novels?

Tycho
11-04-2003, 05:00 PM
Interesting thought, but I can't help but wonder what the actual percentage is of people who have ever really read an Expanded Universe story muchless all of them? I've got to suspect that a ridiculously small portion of the Star Wars fanbase, whether hardcore, medium, or those who just see the feature films in passing read any of it. Given that, having another trilogy that blows off any EU continuity would be a travesty...to only a teenie weeny handful of people out there relative to the overall audience. So, the question becomes, would the third trilogy be for that small percentage of hardcore fans or for the larger, more casual viewing audience?

Those who have just scene the movies in passing - are very unlikely to read a SW novel. They might pick one up at an airport during a flight delay, or because nothing else was appealing and they just saw re-runs of a SW movie on TV or was given a DVD gift or something. It then might be 50-50 if they ever read another SW novel. It depends whether they liked the first book they picked up -and that's a whole nother set of odds.

Medium fans probably do something besides watch the movies. You see, if I just like the movies, I'm not exactly a fan. I like the Matrix movies, but don't even own them, nor do I have any memorobilia. If I am a FAN, then I'd probably own something. Medium fans probably are the majority of the SSG'rs. They buy some memorobilia - the movies, and the most likely collectible - Star Wars action figures (a staple in fandom). I think the top SW merchandize (minus lightsabers which are really toys you can appreciate having something cool to hit a friend with, regardless of whether you're a fan or not), are the figures, maybe the soundtracks, some video games, maybe a poster. I don't think medium fans try to "live Star Wars," and even if they are serious figure collectors, that part of the hobby is limited to driving and buying, maybe not hardcore thinking and contemplating the SW universe (aside from Prequel speculation).

I think all hardcore fans do read all the expanded universe stuff they can get their hands on. They might do roleplay games or CCG's, too (I don't but everyone's different). I do read every novel and comic published. I don't play videogames either (save for some Rogue Squadron fighter pilot titles). I think of hardcore fans as people who can almost name Talon Karrde's body guards, and describe the Yuuzhan Vong God hierarchy. They are really into SW. It doesn't mean that they can't come up with better SW stories themselves than the EU - I mean what if Michael Crichton or Steven King is a SW fan and has thought up their own stories. They might be better than if Jim Carrey is also a fan, and has his version. But everyone appreciates their own of course - except personally, I'd appreciate what has gone into official licensing and some quality control, than hearing Jim Carrey's version of Star Wars sequels where JarJar finds a Mask and turns into a Jedi Knight, or some god-awful stuff you could imagine a comedic thinking up (not to say he isn't creative and imaginative). However, by being a hardcore fan, I take special interest in the official stuff. Admittedly some of it is bad, but so is that late figure of the Emperor, but you completists out there bought it. I guess making the purchase takes less time than reading a novel, but rarely buying a figure (like Ephant Mon) takes me on a long journey in which I appreciate SW for hours on end. Reading, well that can take me on a journey (and the book won't get damaged going to the beach, whereas that would not be a good location for my CC Exclusive Silver Boba Fett...) In any case, I am also a creative person and have tried to write my own SW story. It was sent to the licensed publishers and I built some relationships that helped me get it read - and they liked it. But rules are that you must be a managed, published author, of something original first, and invited to write for SW, so that has been a goal I've kept on my backburner, as I have a legend-style story (about the Old West) that I've wanted to write, and hope to write well, both because it's a great story to share, and I'd like to be noticed by those who already know me at SW.

If I could write something great for SW (which I can and already have) I'd like to smoothe over the expanded universe and contribute to the official story as it goes, as I would be writing as a hardcore fan. Other hardcore fans would appreciate my work. I think some of you others out there would not understand it. A lot would be lost to "dumb down" the story for the casual reader, so it's hard to appeal to both audiences. I think I could make that work, too. But I wouldn't just jump into a universe and do "my style" with it unconditionally of everything that has an audience so far.

Imagine: Luke Skywalker gets a hot stock tip from Han Solo, but his Adegon Incorporated Stock might create a conflict of interest for him since Jedi use Adegan crystals in their lightsabers. Luke learns that a hostile bidder is buying up the rest of the stock. When he discovers it is Lando, Luke tries to arrange a deal with him. Guilty of insider trading, the Bothans decide to press charges and bring out a corporate scandal trial. Meanwhile, Leia falls under investigation when she posts the Jedi Code on a placard outside the New Republic Senate. Some followers of other faiths and Aetheists think this violates the separation of Temple and State, so a new lawsuit is begun by the Wookiees, who are offended because the capital doesn't have a Life Tree. Etc Etc Etc.

This is perhaps the kind of story a political or drama writer like Crighton might write.

Now someone from Sesame Street might have a story where the Gungans and Ewoks help Barney the Dinosaur get home to Iridonia or something.

Steven King comes out with a novel about a Jawa with a hatchet who has been shot 7 times, but keeps coming back to leave the bodies of dead moisture farmers behind him...

I'd prefer there'd be some consistency and unity in an Expanded Universe, and I'm proud to be a hardcore fan of it.

skeeziks22
11-04-2003, 05:44 PM
I'd prefer there'd be some consistency and unity in an Expanded Universe, and I'm proud to be a hardcore fan of it.

As am I... and what would it hurt anyone if a possible sequel trilogy were set to follow what was set up in the EU novels etc? No one but the hard core fans would know anyways. As long as at least one original character carried over I think that would be enough to satisfy casual fans. We have only one major character, Anakin, (aside of the droids) from the OT in the prequels and they have a large fan base. Yoda, obi-wan and the emperor played very small roles in the OT. You could squeeze other minor OT characters into the sequels for continuity (I'd love to see Wedge play a larger role).

Here's to enjoying ALL of Star Wars!