PDA

View Full Version : Legends of the Fall

Tycho
10-27-2003, 02:01 AM
I think Brad Pitt and the whole family did an excellent job of filming this one.

What a messed up tragedy!

I like how the movie makes you feel like you've lived a whole lifetime with these characters.

Actually the main part of it all only covers about 7 years of their lives.

Poor Alfred, he follows all the rules, man's and God's, and they all loved Tristan more.

I didn't forgive Tristan for leaving Susanna when she miscarried their baby, and then he took off overseas and everything.

Anyway, the WWI parts were great as well. I wished there were more WWI movies. Did the Germans accept bans on chemical weapons in WWII? I'd have thought that they could have instantly killed everyone at Utah and Omaha Beaches if they'd deployed gas canisters at Normandy. Were our guys supplied with gas masks just in case? That's something I can't tell from Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan.

Hitler didn't seem like he'd have the decency to follow any rules of war.

RooJay
10-28-2003, 02:10 PM
Funny story, I used to manage stores for Blockbuster (or as I like to call 'em - Lackluster) way back when this movie was first released to video. We were all allowed a certain number of free rentals as part of our employee "benefits" package, and I actually ended up renting (using my freebies) this movie a full SIXTEEN times. Problem was, I worked so many hours (seventy a week on average, and that's not even counting the numerous occasions where I actually ended up working off the clock after payroll ran out just to meet the minimum of what they required of me :crazed: ) that, to this day, I still have yet to see it!
I hear it's pretty good though. :)

Old Fossil
11-02-2003, 02:44 PM
I liked that film mainly for the spectacular scenery.

Those are good questions about chemical weapon use by the Germans in WWII, Tycho. You're probably right when you say that Hitler wouldn't have worried about international restrictions... they did use chemical gases on those interred at concentration camps.

Maybe it was a different kind of warfare. Prolonged trench warfare, like that in France in WWI, was not as much a feature in the days of blitzkreig, therefore negating the usefulness of poison gas. Tiger tanks move quicker than clouds of chemicals, and were more... predictable. I doubt poison gas would have been of much use at Normandy, due to the unpredictable gusts off the Channel.

Just a guess.

Tycho
08-06-2006, 12:05 AM
I just watched this again and cried in several scenes. I liked Isabella Two and it's so sad when she's accidentally killed. You feel Tristan's rage as he attacks the officer that shot off his gun. I like how the movie spans the end of the 1800's through 1930 and later. You really see America evolving with the characters in its own way.

James Horner did the music I believe. Another excellent score by him. I want to get the soundtrack.